Lunching Lesson-Chyril 24th, late TT

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Had she been observing carefully, Anora would find that each time Anora moved, or drew Jorel's attention to herself with a gesture, the boy raised the tone of his voice a bit, as if desperate to make his word heard. He jumped when her foot touched him, barely managing to catch a long stemmed glass that threatened to tip over when his thigh sent the table and everything upon it up. "Erm, yes forearms. Well, they can touch the table most certainly, but it would depend on how formal the occasion was."

It was here that Varesh jumped in, smiling almost innocently, Jorel stealing a glance at Anora's lips, licking his own nervously. "Maybe if you moved closer to the girl you could correct her while we eat? Pull the chair around and we can begin, and you just reach and move her hand to proper position, or show her how to hold the knife or fork properly?" Jorel glanced panicky at the old man and then at Anora. "Well, I.... I could." As the boy rose to move his chair closer to the young girl, the old lord cast a wink at her and grinned impishly.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Jorel's nervousness was making it difficult for Anora not to chuckle. Each changed octive, each jump. It was quite cute. She almost...almost felt bad about the game they were playing. But not really. She looked up at Jorel under lowered lashes as he moved closer. "Thank you so much, Jorel," she said softly. She allowed her arm to 'accidentally' brush against his as he sat back down.
[color=darkblue][i][b]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.[/b][/i][/color]
Dorothy Parker

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"You aaaaaaaaaaaare quite welcome, milady." Despite the most awkward response from Jorel, boy's voice turning into a squeak at the touch, though he did not move his hand away, Lord Varesh managed to keep a straight face. "Is something wrong with your food Jorel? Perhaps a glass of wine will help you? Or something stronger. Pour one for Anora and me too." As the boy turned to fetch a glass, Varesh flashed Anora a grin and added, once more with a straight face. "We are completely in your hands. Or rather Anora is, since I know a bit about high society manners, even though I do not use that knowledge that often." He chuckled and took his glass from Jorel, holding it awkwardly, as his foot nudged Anora's, eyes motioning towards her glass and then towards his hand, where a glass of wine rested between middle and ring finger.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Biting her tongue kept Anora from chuckling as Jorel's octave changed at the brush. At Varesh's word, she bit harder. The man was wicked. Her eyes twinkled merrily at this teasing. She noted his hand and mimicked it, though she turned her eyes up at Jorel and said, "I am most glad to be in your well-trained hands." She gave him a sweet smile while nudging Varesh back.
[color=darkblue][i][b]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.[/b][/i][/color]
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Jorel gulped as he saw the way Anora held her glass, knowing for sure there was no way he could evade touching the girl's hand now, a flicker of hesitation causing him to freeze as he reached tentatively towards Anora's glass. His fingers were cold, almost unnaturally so, but the blush upon his face explained that occurrence pretty well. Gently his fingers moved her until the stem was between her thumb and index-finger, the middle finger resting half-way down the stem and keeping it balanced. "Like that. The way you held it more suited for something stronger. A drink that is served unchilled." His fingers lingered on Anora's waiting for her hold of the glass to become more firm, before slipping away, a soft gasp escaping the boy's throat as he brushed against her wrist. A trickle of sweat poured down his temple and slid along the jaw-line the drop hanging upon the tip of his chin. Clearly seeking to distract, Varesh coughed, causing the boy to turn to him swiftly, the drop of water glistening upon his chin. "So, I was doing it wrong?"
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

For some reason (that both Anora and Varesh would understand), it took quite some time for Anora's grip on the glass to become firm, but finally, when she thought he would simply keel over from lack of breathing, she tightened her fingers so the glass wouldn't slip. During that time, she turned her head and smiled at Jorel from under lowered lashes, forcing a blush on to her own cheeks. "Whoops," she giggled as his fingers slid from her's and touched her wrist. Really, she was almost worried his cheeks would burst into flames.

As his attention was drawn to Varesh, she watched the sweatdroplet slide down to his chin. Well, if anything is going to kill him, it should be this, she thought as she reached up and used her thumb to caress the drop away, brushing his jawline deliberately.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Had it not been for her blush, Jorel would have seen through their game, but while he was certain that Lord Varesh was up to his old tricks again, he thought the girl was another victim of the wicked old Lord. Meanwhile Varesh did not even try to look like he was not scheming, pretending to follow Jorel's fingers, tongue sticking out of the corner of his mouth as he pretended to be utterly unable to hold the glass properly. In the end he succeeded in taking a firm grasp and took a sip from it.

It was only after Anora's hand moved away from his skin that Jorel realized what has just happened, his eyes dropping to the table as he blushed a deep crimson red. "I am sorry, miss. Don't know what has gotten into me. I am just so very tense." He looked up and managed to grant her a small smile, averting his eyes quickly once more and then taking a deep breath and looking up. "Would you like me to serve the food? Or perhaps we should each the lady how to hold glasses with other drinks?"
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Leaning slightly closer to Jorel, Anora smiled up at him, ignoring Varesh for the time being so she wouldn't start laughing. Really, the old man was adorable. She just wanted to go hop in his lap and hug him for his wickedness. "Its quite alright," she murmured, adding, "I...I...liked it." She then dropped her eyes and turned them towards Varesh as the attention was turned back to him. She had to bite the inside of her lip to keep from breaking out into chuckles.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The elderly lord was obviously greatly enjoying himself, chuckling every few flickers, though Jorel did his best to ignore it and focus on the kind and nice lady sharing a table with the two of them. "Yes, let us eat and you can show us more as we go. Be careful though since I have already imbibed a bit and could doze off if I have more than a few drinks." As the boy turned to place the platters with food upon the table, Varesh gave Anora another wink, and pretended to yawn when the young man looked at him again, smiling politely. With a nervous laugh, Jorel managed to place everything upon the table, Anora finding a plate of mushrooms with stalk removed, the hollows where they were replaced with melted cheese and bacon. Mushroom circled a rolled steak, a bit of cheese spilling from one side of it, the meat obviously stuffed with it. "I managed to do it without spilling anything." Making fun of his own nervousness seemed to calm Jorel down just a tad bit, the boy catching Anora's gaze for a flicker more. SO close, with his adhiel features, he looked a mix between a boy and a girl, his lithe body, and long fingers looking almost feminine, nly his voice and mannerism betraying him for a male.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora wanted to shake her head at the wicked old man, but she had to pretend not to be aware of his machinations, so she just smiled up at Jorel as he placed food before her, an amount of which that astounded her. She could never eat that much. It was way too much for someone not used to eating much. She gave a small giggle as he laughed at himself, raising her eyes to his, taking in his features. Really, he was a perfect blend of masculine and feminine. She found herself more drawn to him as such.

"Um...so what should I start with?," she asked, turning and leaning close to Jorel, almost whispering.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The problem with the present setting was that all three of them had different dishes in their plates and thus, after a flicker of hesitation, Jorel rose from his seat anew and moved to stand behind Anora, leaning over her shoulder. He kept his distance, not touching her at all, carefully moving his hands to positions next to the girl's. "Trick here is that there is no trick really. Once the food is before you, it is a custom that the host takes the first bite, unless he is male and the guest is a lady. So, it would be you first, then Lord Varesh and finally me." He motioned towards the plate heaped with food before her and hummed for a flicker. "Good rule of thumb would be to start with the side dish, mushrooms in this case. Leave the steak for second taste, so you can savor both. But, it is just a suggestion, nothing more." He turned towards her, still leaned over her, his cheek a few inches over her shoulder. "Do you know where the custom for the host to eat first comes?"
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Turning her head at Jorel's question, Anora slowly shook her head, tilting it somewhat as she allowed her eyes to focus on his lips plainly. Leaning ever so slightly towards him, she asked, "No. Why?" Moving her eyes up to his, she seemingly unconsciously licked her own lips, shifting her hand so that it brushed against his.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

For a flicker Jorel's lips moved closer to Anora's, almost as if he planned to kiss her, the boy quickly looking away, though he kept as close as he had been to her. "In old times there were less people living in this world and they lived in smaller communities separated by large distances. It was not uncommon for a traveler to be drugged or poisoned or even killed while he stayed in someone's house, his possessions taken and body hidden. But, if the hosts eats first then he shows through that act that there is nothing wrong with the food." He smiled and motioned towards one of the forks before her, the middle one in size, a knife laying on the other side of the plate. "Women never traveled alone, or if they did they were thought to have Mother's protection while on the road and usually did not have much in the way of worldly possessions. It was bad luck to injure a woman and thus they were not in danger of being fed tainted food. World today is not a perfect place, but compared to those times......." He turned towards her once and smiled sheepishly, lowering his eyes. "I am sorry if my story was inappropriate. I tend to ramble at times."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora listened as Jorel talked, barely keeping from snapping her fingers in frustration as he turned his head. She kept her attention on him, though she tried to steal a glance at Varesh, certain he was silently chuckling on his side of the table.

Shaking her head, she said, "No, I quite like listening to you...to the story. Its very educational." She looked up at Jorel, her fingers brushing over his softly, much like once pets a skittish animal.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Pictures of saints in their most saintly moment, could not even get close to the innocent look of Lord Varesh at that moment, the old man quietly nibbling on his food, pretending that Anora and Jorel were not in the same room with him. His foot did nudge her at her glance, indicating that he was following what she was doing closely.

The boy on his part seemed to relax somewhat in Anora's presence, his finger for a flicker playfully tangling with the girl's in a momentary finger wrestling match, and he flashed her a quick smile, his eyes going to the elderly lord they shared the table with before he drew the hand away. "Thank you. My father thinks I ought to know a lot about business I am going to take over when he dies. Not that he will die any time soon, but he thinks I ought to experience the everyday working of the Blackbridge before learning the rest."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora wasn't fooled in the least by Varesh's innocent expression. The man could give her a run for her money in a wicked race, she suspected. Still, she allowed him his innocent smile.

She gave a girlish giggle at the finger play, smiling up at Jorel with large eyes sparkling. Then, he revealed a very startling piece of information. His father owned this establishment? Oh, she just knew that Varesh was aware of that. Oh that wicked, wicked man, putting such a rich and tasty morsel in front of her. "Your father runs this establishment?," she asked, tilting her head slightly, curiosity stealing into her large blue-green eyes.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Though she was close to truth she was not completely correct, Jorel shaking his head. "Father just owns the major share. He is busy with the trading business so he lets mother run day to day operation." He shrugged and smiled sheepishly. "They wanted me to learn as much as possible about the way things work here. Father says I will be able to run things better if I know what it takes to get stuff done here." Thinking it an opportune moment to come back into the conversation, Varesh added in an off-handed manner. "Your father is quite right, Jorel. You will be less likely to demand from your workers more than they can accomplish. And you will respect them more for your experience." Settling down his utensils, he took a napkin and dabbed his lips clean. "It is too easy to put profit before people, but that is a grave error. Pay your workers a bit more and they will work a lot better." He smiled and turned his attention to Anora. "Young lady here is lucky to have such a good employer. Did you know she was hired by Audrey yesterday, Jorel? I heard very good things about Miss Harden. Se'll treat her well." Jorel nodded with a smile. "Pity Miss Harden does not come more often to Blackbridge. She is such a lovely person. Always cheerful and full of life."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora was almost startled by Varesh's voice as he came back into the conversation. She looked towards him, her head tilted ever so slightly to the side. He seemed to know quite a bit about her new employer. Of course, she hadn't even started work yet. Not for a few days, actually, having come to this lunch just after her interview.

"I look forward to it. From what she told me this afternoon, it shall be an interesting experiance."
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Jorel quickly piped in, the boy relaxing as time went buy, his shoulders no longer as tense as they had been. "Well, I am sure you will do a lot better than her previous assistant. I hear she was odd. A few of the guests say she was overbearing. Gave unwanted advice and things like that." He shrugged and took a bite of his food, before adding in a lower voice. "Just rumors I heard. And I have learned not to trust the rumors always." For a flicker he looked at Lord Varesh, looking as if he was about to add something more, but quickly lowered his eyes and blushed as brightly as he did before, redness creeping up his neck.

"I hear she was a pain in the ar....." Varesh cast a quick glance at Jorel, grinning as he saw the boy was not looking, before adding with a straight face. "Pardon me, Miss Frollie. I forget my manners at times. The girl still was a pain in the neck. But, as young Jorel here, it is only the rumors I have heard. I do know for a fact that she was a student at the University of Magick. There was some scandal a couple of months ago, though I can't recall what it was. Dark magicks were mentioned, but I can't remember if she was involved or a victim."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora glanced between the two men, listening attentively as they described her new employer's last assistant. One brow rose slightly at the dropping of Jorel's eyes. She glanced over at Varesh, her head tilted slightly as she examined her mentor. She couldn't figure out why Jorel would look at him after that comment.

"Dark magic?," she queried, her head still slightly cocked to the side, her eyes wide with interest.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Varesh had missed Jorel's glance his way, dividing his attention between two younger people at the table. "Yes, though I am hardly an expert on magick. Sorcery that involves blood sacrifice, dealing with Netheric forces or manipulation of mind if considered evil and thus called dark magick. University of Magick teaches the other kind of magick and is involved in fighting the dark magick users in the city." He chuckled and waved a fork. "Silly people those mages. Dividing magick like that. Magick is only a tool and we never call a sword or arrow evil. Men wield tools and their motivation determines whether the deed performed is good or evil." He took a sip of wine and added in a more sedate tone. "And often it is not even the motivation that should determine the way we perceive certain actions, but rather the goal that we try to accomplish. Even evil deeds can lead to much good as there has been evidenced in history. For instance, Mouth's betrayal of Kingdom troops at the Battle of Aveas led to many deaths, but also brought peace. Was it an evil deed then?"
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

As Varesh spoke, Anora found herself caught in a conundrum. She didn't see things in black and white, good or bad. Her outlook was skewed, being as she was taught by those who were supposed to teach her right from wrong to do the wrong thing. Steal, lie, cheat. These were things that were right to her. But she knew they were supposed to be wrong. Thus, she found herself at a loss for words.

She gave a shrug and simply said, "Well, seems it was the right thing, since the war's over." She then took a deep drink of her wine, not meeting either man's eye.
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Varesh seemed in mood for a little bit of philosophical discussion, pressing on despite Anora’s half-hearted reply. “Ah, but Western soldiers would disagree. And so could we. If they betrayed the King that easily, it makes you wonder if they will be loyal to us in the future. Once a traitor always a traitor.” He took another bite, hewing it a few times and then spoke around it half-chewed. “In the end, what they did stopped a war that could have gotten real ugly. But, they did it for selfish purposes. For profit. But, I digress. Here is another question for you. If you were doing something out of high ideals. To save a loved one, or to better your country perhaps…. Would that justify committing a foul deed? If you murdered someone in order to save a Kingdom? Would that make murder acceptable?” His eyes lit up, as he spoke, Varesh’s locked up with Anora, muscles in his neck tense and standing out.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Varesh was putting Anora in a strange spot. She didn't normally think in terms of morals. Her grandmother had always said they were for people with money. Those without could live without such standards. Of course, her grandfather tried to slip a moral or two to his tiny granddaughter, but it was hard to say if it ever took. The blood of a pirate, a whore and a brothel keep ran through her blood, along with the blood of an adhiel. Which blood was stronger?

Taking another sip of her wine, which was causing her to feel just the slightest bit tipsy, she pondered his question. Biting her lower lip, she tilted her head as she studied him. She almost felt as if she was being tested. She met the old man's eyes and was silent for a few flickers before answering. "To save something that you held dear, that's not murder. Whether its a loved one or a country, that's devotion." Of course, the dead person might disagree. "So yes, that's acceptable."
Dorothy Parker

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Anora's reply surprised Varesh, the old man arching a brow and looking down at his plate, pursing his lips and nodding silently, deep in thought. It was a few flickers later that he hummed and looked up with a soft smile. "Ah, but you do have a way with words, my dear. Devotion. A beautiful way of putting it. A perfect description of the feeling that could drive a man or a woman to resort to any means necessary to protect what he or she holds dear." He glanced at Jorel, the boy remaining silent up to that point, a small blush creeping up his neck. "I suppose I agree with Miss Frollie's theory. Strong emotions will often overcome reason and morals. Life would be boring otherwise. If we were creatures of pure logic, we would go through our lives like drones, performing our assigned tasks without a hint of emotion. We would become predictable and that would be simply sad." The plates before them were almost empty, and dessert had not yet been served, though Varesh promised he would buy Anora something sweet.

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”