Harbor Gates (Chyril 25th)

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Harbor Gates (Chyril 25th)

Post by Grey Wolf »

The port of the Citadel was clearly added later, after the ancient ones finished building the city. It forms a small section just outside the concentric circles that form the city, with docks and warehouses dominating its looks. This port is the main port of the entire Empire, hence all tradehouses have their headquarters here.

There are, of course, several shipping docks, including the infamous Outlaws’ Warf. Day in to day out, an abundance of life comes into and leaves the docks. The Docks bring the world to the Citadel and makes her economy thrive; without them the Citadel would parish. The Docks serve for many purposes. Business at the docks is like clock work and there is an almost continuous stream of traffic between them and the city.

As ships approach they are directed to a slip at which time passengers may disembark. Looking down the rows of ships, there a many different types, brigs, galleons, schooners, all proudly resting in the water waiting to sail off to the next port of call. All except one. At the front of the pier, sitting proudly at the first slip rests a ship whose keel hovers feet above the surface of the water. An airship, she proudly flies flags of the Western Kingdom, from where she is the first to journey on a mission of trade.

The gates themselves are a scene of barely controlled chaos. Peddlers, beggers, sailors, and drunkards seem to mill about with no rhyme or reason. Those who had heard of the unparallelled efficeincy of the Ceaser`s Purple Guard who ran the gate are suprised to find it now run by the Blue Tabarded City Guard. Many of the uniforms are mismatched and stained, and the guard themselves mix an air of resignation and contempt as they question each person attempting to gain entry. The area in front of the gate is nearly always croweded. Still with enough patience, or a couple of well placed elbows, it is possible to get to the front of the line.

Krys Genouix is on duty at the gate today, and the irritable Achadhiel has already worked up a temper, despite the fact that it's only late morning...
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Post by Guest »

The journey was over... and the first step of his path was done. He was in the Citadel! Or so he thought...

Liran looked around expectantly, the hustle and bustle of the docks sinking in his senses. He received a tap on the shoulder and turned around to see the next passenger of the ship, visibly irritated, waiting for him to get off the plank. He grasped the handle of his trunk hard, and holding his staff in the other hand descended into the chaos.

Dragging the chest was not easy in the crowd as people kept tripping on it, but some burns later he found himself closing on the crowd at the gate. He looked around, trying to discern the end of the line, then chose a spot and awaited his turn.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

With Krys in her current mood and Stu looking up to her, the line moved swiftly. It was just Liran's luck that had him come up to the left side of the line and up to Krys' table, the female achadhiel looking up irritably. Her face was somewhat red from anger, though what she was angry at was not clear. The scar upon her cheek looked painfully white against her flushed skin, her voice a bit scratchy as she spoke. "Keep it simple. Name, occupation, reason of visit and point of origin? Be quick about and no tricks or I'll have you in the Gaol before you can say wise-ass. Understood?" The tip of her quill shook slightly, the girl obviously nervous over something.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Post by Guest »

'Liran Baladim, scholar, came to start my studies. I come from Kislovan.' Liran decided against any other word except the ones asked for, as the moment didn't seem convenient to talk jovially. He did not let go of the chest, partially because he was afraid that someone could snatch it up while he was not looking, and he also sensed that his stay at the gate will be short, regardless of the next place he goes to.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

One never knew with Krys' moods, and though she started writing Liran's info down immediately, the quill stopped moving at the first letter of his occupation. "Scholar, starting studies? So basically you are a wanna-be-scholar? A would be lazy bookworm?" His chest was quite safe, half a dozen guards in blue uniforms lazing about, though they had their eyes open for any trouble, perking up at the sarcastic drone of Krys' voice. She was already writing down Liran's occupation as Lazy bum bookworm, and continued to note that he was from Kislovan. She looked up and smiled saccharine sweet. "Now, I suppose you will have the standard questions, like where you can find a suitable Inn and where this or that place is? Or are you going to be original and surprise me with something new that will earn you a shiny banner for the effort?"

Post by Guest »

'Hmm, I won't turn back any advice you'd like to give on inns and places. However, as you mentioned it, I still have nothing original to tell you, but the next time I go through this gate coming back from some distant lazy-bookworm journey in the wild parts of the world, remind me to share with you some of the local jokes I've heard there and maybe lighten your day a bit.' He looked into her eyes, smiling, his eyes showing not a bit of any offense, his smile none of her grin but simply friendly. And truthful.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Krys sighed in irritation, some people simply not giving her what she wanted, lowering her eyes down to the paper and growling throatily, finally sighing once more in resignation. The boy refused to play along, and even though his stupid smile irritated her, she could not find it in her to berate him any longer. It was simply not fun when they refused to fight back. "Do I look like a bloody scholar to you? You'll have to make do on your own. Through the gate and find some other poor sap to help you find your way. And no trouble from you." Through the gate preparations for some big celebration were underway, workers putting up stages and decorating the houses with banners and floral arrangements.

Post by Guest »

'Thank you' Liran replied, thinking how he could enhance the woman's mood a bit. It was not the right time for that, however, as he had to find a place to sleep and some way to start what he wanted. He passed the gate and walked down the street looking at the decorations and banners. He'd have to get in pace with the local events too. He was quickly lost out of sight in the crowd behind the high gate...

Post by Guest »

Kadar loomed over the bulk of the population, a tower of flesh; his mien, however, betrayed him. There was no fierceness to his disposition, at least not as he wandered about Citadel like a wolf pup lost in a winter storm, blinded by the shifting curtains of snow and the trees.

He spoke only a small amount of the human tongue and no others besides his native half-giant language, which presented problems for him as he tried to find his way. He had a goal but that goal seemed far out of reach now as he wandered around trying to find a place to stay. Frustration mounted and despite being a confessed and unrepentant optimist, Kadar was beginning to worry that his quest was in danger of failing before it truly began.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

There were always people sitting around the gates, gawking and enjoying the show, Krys always providing ample entertainment for those possessed of a crude humor. Even rain or snow did not chase away low-lives and petty thieves who came to watch the Blues pester law-abiding citizens instead of them. It was one such group that intercepted Kadar after his fifth passage near the gate, a man barely half-half-giant's size approaching the hulking humanoid and barring the way. Small, green eyes, were set close together and he peered up, his voice high-pitched. "Oy, big fella. You takin' a stroll or are ye lost?" The man wore a worn pale purple tabard, a sign of a blood red palm upon his chest. "Per'aps I can be helping ye?" He cast a glance towards half a dozen men in similar tabards and flashed them a grin, the boys snickering to some private joke.

Post by Guest »

Kadar looked at the men quizzically, confused by their dialect and manner of speech. He canted his head to the side, eyes glazed over with lack of understanding as he tried to mime going to find some place to sleep.

Post by Guest »

Confused and frustrated, Kadar looked around, trying to find something that would help him convey his message. He looked at the man and mimed sleeping by putting two hands together and canting his head over them to the side.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

The young bard rose from where he had been sitting aboard the little barque which had transported him for the last few days from Aveas to the Citadel. Although the journey had not been overly long, he was no great seafarer and the idea of stable land beneath his feet was a great relief.

What's more although he had travelled by Portal several times, the portal trip from Worlds Mouth to Aveas still gave him the creeps. Also the short change over time at Aveas was nerve wracking, hoping that no one there recognised him as one the late King Bathasar's cohort.

He gathered his belongings, slinging his swag over his shoulder, taking great care of his lute in so doing. Maybe I'll get to use it here, seems a long time since I played for anyone else!

Taking care to not miss his footing, Rhoddin descended the gang plank, before sizing up the Citadels gates before him. It seemed there was a bit of a walk from the docks, so hitching up his load, the young man began.

It had been a desperate few days since he had departed the presence of the entity Lida, and Rhoddin was feeling particularly frustrated. He had found out little about the strange goings on at West End, and as if to top it all off there was the explosion on the harbour that sent damned near everyone in Worlds Mouth scurrying to one place or another.

He had not been able to locate Vito again, and although he had found Reise, his companion and sometime lover seemed oddly changed, almost secretive to the young bards perception. Still, he had made his own bed and he would lie in it, good or bad.

A nagging worry about failing to to resolve Lida's request ticked over, but for the life of him, Rhoddin could not discard the strange shell Vito had given him.

Still here he was at the Citadel, and other things called him. What other things, well he had no real idea. It seemed any time he had an idea it was snuffed out, better to just go with the flow and see where it took him.

By the time he had processed these various ramblings it seemed he had reached the gate.

The bard dutifully joined the line, awaiting his appointed moment to enter the gates of the Citadel.
Last edited by Rhoddin on Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Adriano Marinetti
Blackheart hand

Post by Adriano Marinetti »

Dry land, at last! Stepping down from the ship along with the other passengers, Adriano took a deep breath, taking in the salty scent of Citadel air. One hardly noticed how filthy the air back home was until you got away from it. Cool, fresh sea air had a salutary effect. He had coughed his lungs out during the boat trip from Aveas, getting at least a bit of the soot and pollution out of his body. The harbor here smelled like harbors usually did - of salt, fish, rotting wood and sweat - but it was still preferable to the acrid Mouth air. Holding onto his possessions, especially the more valuable ones, he stood in line and patiently waited, not having the strength or the inclination to fight his way through the throng of passengers. Besides, he needed some time to think.

It was funny how things turn out differently than you expect them to. A few yahren ago, he wouldn't have dreamed of being the de facto number two man of a predominantly Adhiel criminal organisation. And a few days ago, he wouldn't have imagined he would be fleeing from World's Mouth to save his miserable hide, running from the law and an irate and paranoid Althaluin. All in all, perhaps it was best to leave that filthy, sprawling mess of a city and move to greener pastures. The only future to be found there was either ending up floating in the Scillus with a slit throat or dying of Blacklung like his old man. Go East, that was the only reasonable thing to do.

And so, here he was now. A stranger in a strange land, without a clue as to how to proceed. It was best to familiarise oneself with this city first and make plans second. One thing he was certain of, however. There was bound to be a thriving criminal underbelly to the Empire's capital. Any place where lots and lots of people were stuck in one place had its shady side.

Soon enough, he was near the end of the line, where an angry looking achadhiel was sorting out the new arrivals.
Last edited by Adriano Marinetti on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar courtesy of [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com/]Finn[/url]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Chyril 26th Late Morningtide

It was a simple stroke of luck that paired the two newly arrived travelers to Citadel with the City Blues on duty that morning. Krys and Stu have been busy the entire morning, just like they were busy every morning for the past several months, the more feminine of the pair being in one of her regular moods. It was Stu that called out "Next!" as Rhoddin came up, the bard finding himself before a table, with a small squinty eyed man who held a quill in his hand. "Name, occupation, point of origin and purpose of visit. I will also need you to report any illegal substances and dangerous armaments you might be carrying. Please report them before I am forced to rummage through your sack and see what can be found there."

Adriano on the other hand had been far less lucky in his approach, the young thief landing square into Krys' lap, or rather before her desk at the gates. Had he landed in her lap, things would have been far worse for the young man, though admittedly they were not quite shiny even now. "NEXT!!!!" The scream, for it could qualify as such even though her voice was somewhat deep for a woman, reverberated through the air, coming back to haunt the travelers as it echoed against the walls. "Alrighty..... Holy crap, I think you have a brother Stu. And this one is even uglier than you." The similarity between Adriano and the guard sitting at the other table was superficial at best, apart from the way their eyes were sat and their small, ratlike figure. It did not stop Krys from pointing it out. "Not now, Krys, I am busy. You know I don't have a brother." The female guard grinned and added as it turned nasty. "yeah, seeing how ugly your mom is I doubt anyone would want to bed her twice. And even then your father must have been drunk." She looked up at last, as the small guard muttered something under his breath, Rhoddin understanding only Fucking bitch and not much else. "Alrighty, sunshine, or more likely moonshine judging by your healthy pallor. You'll give me your name and it better not be Stuart and it better not end up with Maxwell, or I will start believing that the end of the world is close. And I also need your occupation, though I don't get what such a scrawny little bugger could occupy, and also point of origin, and I do not mean a rathole and finally your reason for visit, and it better not be visit to Stu. So spit it out and try to make someone else wipe their face afterwards."
Adriano Marinetti
Blackheart hand

Adriano winced as the shriek echoed through the harbour. The woman on guard appeared to be in quite an irritable mood this morning. Being the next in line, Adriano stepped forward, hoping to get the formalities over with as soon as possible. It took much self-control to avoid responding to the barrage of insults that greeted him with violence, or at least a couple of quips. He desperately wanted to wipe that smug smirk off the foul-mouthed stronza's face, but decided that causing trouble before even getting inside the city proper was not a wise move. So it is true what they say. Eastern men don't know how to keep their women in line. He tolerated the witless insults with a facade of calm, pondering for a moment what to state as his occupation and reason for visit, as the truth was not an option.

"Name, Adriano Marinetti. Occupation... Locksmith. Place of origin, World's Mouth. Reason for visit... Business investment.", he replied tersely to the questions asked. There was no point in making this last any longer than absolutely neccessary.

He hoped the annoying woman would allow him to pass without too much hassle.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The stronza, or Krys as her mother used to call her, scribbled down the info rather quickly, raising her blu eyes to regard Adriano from bellow, tilting her head as she tsked almost under breath. "Locksmith looking for a business investment. I don't suppose you have your business license on hand? You need to fill out the forms and wait a month before you can open a business. Unless you are a resident. Our way of giving locales an edge over foreigners." There were a few giggles from nearby guards, but the girl looked as serious as a scowling woman could. "So, do you have it on you, or do you need directions on where to get one?"
Adriano Marinetti
Blackheart hand

It was to be expected that a businessman would have to deal with a lot of red tape. The giggles of the guards near Krys made the demand for a licence appear a bit like a trick they liked to pull on gullible foreigners. Unfortunately for them, Adriano was not a gullible man. He had anticipated something of the sort would be brought up in response to his fabricated backstory, and thought up a perfect solution.

"Way ahead of you. I've had a note sent to the Mouth Embassy here a month ago, and they arranged everything in time for my arrival.", he replied, "I'm picking it up there first thing after you let me in. Is there anything else?".
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Without paying the least bit of attention to the chuckling chorus, Krys nodded to Adriano seemingly happy with his response, starting to turn to give him directions when something behind the young rogue caught her attention, her eyes quickly going to the side and man with Sergeants stripes leaning against the wall. He pushed off, noticed the man in black silk striding towards the gate, flanked by a pair of friends wearing wide brimmed hats upon their heads. A shake of Sergeants head was had Krys nodding and turning back to man before her. "Very well, sir. Welcome to Citadel .Follow the street behind me to Patrician's Ring and then ask one of the guards there for directions. You should not have much trouble finding the World's Mouth Embassy." By the time she was done the man passed the gates, not a single person moving to stop his advance, the thugs that oversaw the gates and the newcomers, visibly nervous at the sight, lowering their eyes as the smiling man passed.

OOC: Please continue here
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Post by Lir Calysta Markby »

After her adventures in Sabata, Lir wondered where to continue on in her travels. Utter frustration was met with constant disappointment, no adventure, no treasure, nothing fulfilled or satisfying. Her boots stepped off the gangplank as she looked about. The Citadel...my...err...Calysta's home.. The place didn't make her smile, and she still didn't know what urged her to make the trip. What if you find your father...your brothers? What are they like after all these years? In a secret part of her heart she hoped her brothers didn't turn into assholes like her father, a perverted older man that...

She bit her tongue and a fingertip slid along her cheek where the muscle ticked for a second. Her dreams had compelled her here or rather her nightmares had started up again. The truth. Her past held some of her birthright, and now she was not going to slink away in the corner and die. Lir was still too young to know much of the politics and nuances about her past and the sins of her family, but at this point in her life she didn't care what stone she turned over. Of course, revenge was always a lovely thought.

The Citadel is full of surprises if not opportunities. I hope. She re-slung her bag over her shoulder and headed towards the gate awaiting entry into the city. She could recall that all of her traveling papers were in order when she entered the war briefly. Her dressed comfortably and modestly for the journey and purposely made herself look 'boring' to be passed over. With that thought in mind, she hoped it stuck and she did a decent job of it.
Beautiful avatar by [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe![/url] ^_^
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

Rhoddin looked across at the rather vicious welcome his fellow traveller had received, and raised an eyebrow at the colourful introduction to the Citadel, not necessarily what he had expected, but probably not any less either.

Looking back at the squinty eyed man, Rhoddin managed to maintain a straight face, well it wasn't that hard, he saw little of amusement in his current predicament to be sure anyway!

"Name is Rhoddin, I am a bard, most recently of Worlds Mouth, previously of Kings Court." The young bard didn't think it wise to mention his association with the late Balthasar. "I am seeking employment in the arts.

"As for weapons, well I only carry my sword," which he indicated on his hip, "and of course my lute, which even my harshest critics would not consider a weapon." And the young bard indicated the lute slung across his back.

Having reported what was expected, the bard awaited the mans reply, or further questions.
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Pardon the delay, but us crazy people around here, celebrate Christmas 14 days after everyone else.

Lir felt the crowd behind her part, as the black clad man moved past those waiting, the guards not moving, almost pretending he was invisible, his smile casual and relaxed, the two men flanking him scanning the crowd, hands hid by the billowing cloaks, faces half-hidden by wide brimmed hats they wore. Then it was Lir's turn and the girl found herself in front of an obviously irritated Krys, though the blond guard kept her voice calm and polite. "Good morningtide, miss. Name, occupation, point of origin and reason for a visit? I don't care about your religion, and I do not know where you can find your relatives if you though to ask me that. Tavern is the best I can offer you and that only if you ask me nicely."

The squinty eyed man before Rhoddin swallowed a rather large lump as the black clad man passed the gate, trying very hard not to look him in the eyes. "S......" He coughed to clear his throat as his voice cracked. "Sword is fine. I was referring to magickal devices of great destructive potential." The man's voice became more certain as he uttered the term, probably having memorized it previously. "Not sure where you could find employment, but I suggest you try Bardic College, and one of the taverns. Ha'Penny Mermaid is where us guards go after work. And then there's the Burpin' Dragon, but ol' Bill is a tough nut to crack. You'll have to be real good for him to let you play at his place. If you really want to do it, I suggest you butter up Yosie or Beatrice and let them do your talking. Mind yer way around Yosie, she has always been a sucker for bards and artists."

OOC: Once you are done proceed here Rhoddin.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Post by Lir Calysta Markby »

A violet eye subtly looked the 'important' man over as he moved passed the crowd in what seemed to her as a stately fashion. Only a powerful man with nothing to fear could look so relaxed and casual while flanked by two body guards. I wonder who he is? Then her thoughts were broken as she heard Krys' voice and gave a pleasant smile. "Lir Markus, Healer, Sabata, some leisure, some education, I suppose? I don't care much about religion either. No relatives of interest, but a cozy tavern sounds exciting." Her violet eye meeting Krys', "What tavern would you recommend I stop by?" A slight tilt of her head to convey interest as well as respect.

The guard's irritation was obvious, but instead of barking at Lir, the guard was polite and calm. It was a wonder what had the woman stressed and despite Lir's better instincts, she could not help but wonder how people ticked or what made them behave as they did. Of course, the woman would probably not complain about a drink to warm the nerves, but of course a nice massage also helped. A tinge of sadness washed over her with memories of Ony wafting around her, but the past was the past and a lot of people have been lost. No use to dwell.
Beautiful avatar by [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe![/url] ^_^
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

Rhoddin cast a sidelong glance at the man in black and his two bodyguards as they breezed past the gates. Interesting, seems to have the locals in awe of him, wonder who ... his train of thought was interrupted as the squinty eyed man regained his voice.

The young bard was glad his sword was in order, although he couldn't see why not, still you never knew these days. The bardic guild sounded like somewhere he needed to visit at some point in time, but taverns sounded more to his taste at present.

He made a small courteous bow to the guard who had processed his arrival, "My thanks good sir, I will take your advice on that Yosie person should I meet her during my stay."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Krys efficiently jotted down Lir's information, pausing a bit when she came to purpose of visit section, finally writing down education in the field, leisure obviously not sounding important enough to be granted a mention as well. "If you want a drink I would drop by Ha'Penny Mermaid. You look like the sort who would enjoy the company to be had there. You should definitely stay there if you want company for the night. Someone will be drunk enough to try and help you keep the bed warm." There was a minute tilt of her lips upward, something between a budding smile and a budding sneer. "If you are scared of it, then you could go to the Burpin' Dragon and suffer through Bill's bad mood. Some dwarf he is, if a little burn on his hand makes him such a grump. Pussy."

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”