Harbor Gates (Chyril 25th)

Moderator: Mods

Leon Crowley
Civus

Post by Leon Crowley »

Leon nodded gravely in response to the name of the vessel, a rueful expression crossing his face. "My name is Leon Crowley, and the Serpent offered me passage at Muchisle; I accepted merely because I could afford nothing more fragrant. For both our sakes, I apologise for that. As for occupation..."

Crowley looked to have every intention of continuing in this polite and even tone, but at that point he was rudely interrupted by an explosion, causing him to flinch and hesitate. His grey eyes turned upwards, widening at the sight, before flicking back to the guard with an air of mild concern. "Is this entirely regular, sir? I confess, I imagined the Citadel to be a little less volatile than it appears..."

It would be a terrible tragedy if the Citadel had somehow descended into all-out war. One can rarely find a decent hot bath in a war zone, after all.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

The top of Ginny's head barely reached the level of the average nipple.

Her seaweed-green eyes flickered around, taking in her surroundings. She stretched her short legs. It seemed like so long since she'd been on solid ground! It felt good to step down on something that didn't rock back and forth, though she found herself experiencing an odd nausea and dizziness - reverse seasickness, perhaps?

She looked up out of the sea of milling peddlers, panhandlers and drunks; excitement and nervousness surged through her as she spotted the gates.

She made for them at a breakneck pace, winding through the crowd, pushing, shoving. No one took much notice. She hugged her knapsack to her chest as though it contained precious jewels. The gates - and inside, the city! She could hardly wait to see it. Such was the intensity of her concentration that she didn't even notice the check-in line...
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Why do you think my mouth was open wide enough for a sparrow to fly in? Cause that kind of shit happened regularly?" Krys frowned and took a deep breath feeling like she needed it, pulling a fresh piece of paper over. "Noting to worry. We got everything under control." She did look up when Paige announced her occupation, her blonde head tilted to the side, eyes peering at her with distrust. "Well, honey, if you indeed are what you say you are, you'll have plenty of work in this city. Might as well set up shop in the guardhouse over there. I am sure you'll make pretty banner of the rest of wrinkly pricks that wear the blues around here." She grinned and glanced to the other guard currently writing down Leon's info. "Stu over there though he would be a tough customer. I hear he loves some weird shit. Chains and needles and stuff. And from what I hear he is pretty successful in finding it."

Stu muttered a short "Stupid bitch" low enough for Krys not to overhear, but loud enough for Leon to pick it up, and looked up at the bored looking young man. He coughed and looked up, shaking his head. "Not quite regular, but I assure you we have everything under control. Probably just leftover fireworks from the celebration last night. The coronation." He looked down, concentrating hard and them murmured. "You need to tell me your occupation and a reason for visit, sir." As he spoke those words, Krys seemed to remember something turning back to Paige. "Yeah, wenchie. Name and point of origin. I already know why you came. To fuck. Right?"

It was not a single person that managed to stop Rum's dash for the gates, nor was it a demon of the Nether, nor a mighty spell. It was a puppy, a small thing of about three months, his fur scruffy and smudged with dust. The small creature yelped as she tripped over him, and quickly sought shelter in a crevice of the wall, only his soft, wet eyes visible in the darkness. It would be easy to reach in and fish him out, if only she wished to bother, a puppy growl sounding silly each time someone came close to his hiding place form the cruel outside world.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Leon Crowley
Civus

Post by Leon Crowley »

When Stu looked up at Leon, he was greeted with a faint, sympathetic smile. Crowley had no intention of getting involved with that particular spat - indeed, he believed it entirely beneath him - but this did not preclude some small measure of that false friendship exchanged between strangers to indicate an understanding. Leon was not a particularly sympathetic man, but he was at least reasonably cordial, and considered it no great disadvantage to side with the man who could allow or deny his entrance to the city.

"Ah, the coronation," he murmured, politely not mentioning the stupid bitch comment, and certainly not bothering to look in Krys' direction, as such an action might lead to involvement, "I had heard rumours of such. Though one would have to be dead to completely avoid such rumours... I confess, it is partially that - the Citadel's rich culture - which prompted my visit. I am first and foremost a musician, and I felt this city would be the most ideal place in which to pursue my vocation. Does the new Caesar have any great love of music, I wonder?"

The self-proclaimed 'musician' looked thoughtful for a moment, and then answered his own question smoothly with, "We shall see. Is that all you require, sir, or is there anything else that you would have me provide...?"
Last edited by Leon Crowley on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paige
Civus

Post by Paige »

Paige wasn't at all bothered by Krys' obvious distaste in her occupation. Besides, it was more women than men who always had something to say. All Paige could do was fight off the grin that started to form at the corners of her mouth. Now, Paige could say something offensive to this Krys woman but she was smart enough not to jeopardize her entrance into the city.

Brushing her long hair out of her face, Paige flashed a smile to the nearby gentlemen guards and returned her gaze to Krys, "The name is Paige Skiewynd and I originated from the Aveas. As far as the reason I came...well, you nailed it right on the head," the adhiel finished with a sly smile.

Yet, Paige knew that the lady guard didn't get it ALL correct about why she came. The adhiel was sure different opportunities would come besides this, and Paige was ready to pounce on the first one that came. She didn't have any desire in her heart to have numerous sexual partners to satisfy but honestly, what other occupation did Paige have to go for at the moment? Did she enjoy herself? That was laughable, for she didn't enjoy a single moment of this lifestyle. Yet, who would believe her?
With a sigh that couldn't be heard by anyone around her, Paige patiently awaited Krys' reply, averting her blue eyes to the faint black smoke that was slowly fading away.
Last edited by Paige on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

Ginny cursed creatively as she hit the ground, sending up a miniature dust cloud. She glared at the puppy.

"Bollocks," she muttered irritably. She scrambled out of the way of some oncoming feet, and sat with her back to the wall, rubbing her bruised knees and elbows.

Ginny was not a dog person; she had been raised in a world almost entirely devoid of cuteness in any form. There were no babies, and few women; the diseased harbor cats were ill-tempered, and the only dogs she'd seen were mangy, smelly nuisances. She had never seen a puppy before.

But its watery eyes pled with her, and she put out a hand to comfort it, almost instinctively.

"What the devil kind of dog are you?" she wondered aloud, patting it in entirely the wrong way. "You look ridiculous." She picked the puppy up, surprised at its lightness, and held it up to her face, studying it.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Ginny's hand was met by another brave puppy growl and an attack that ended with her hand being chewed upon ineffectively by a still pretty much toothless puppy. She won the battle of puppy versus reaching hand easily and it yelped, though the pat worked a long way towards making it relax. What puppy did not like being petted, even if it was the wrong way? It tried to sniff her hand, but then ground went away and it was held in front of a girl's face, for a flicker the fear almost making it look a lot less cute by peeing on her.

Even had she knowledge of dog breeds, identifying this pup would have been impossible, as it was a mutt of the epic kind, the kind that had almost every conceivable breed in its family tree, including a few non-canine breeds most likely somewhere in the distant past. The product was not quite what one would call cute, but it was definitely able to survive living on the streets though it was just a puppy. It's somewhat long muzzle, long for a puppy at least, made it resemble a small wolf in a way, though the floppy ears did not quite fit. Add to it that the puppy was a rather amazingly white, its fur a bit dirty, but only in spot, and that the left ear was entirely black, with the spot covering its eye as well, and it would be hard to imagine what the pup would look like once it was fully grown. It had potential to be both vicious and cute, especially given it had a rather short and fluffy tail for a wolf. A soft lick of Ginny's nose and a happy help, followed by a lolling tongue, made the fierce look a far away prospect for the little creature.

"The Caesar? Well, I would not quite know that seeing how us Blues never go up into the Patrician's Ring. You would need to ask one of those posh looking Imperial Guards and hope he can get his nose down from the clouds." The rat-like man frowned for a flicker and shrugged, adding with a half-smile. "I did hear he likes women. Apparently he sent three girls to his room last night. And there was word he intended to have one whipped, but I would not know what happened behind closed doors." Another shrug. "He's relatively unknown. People have heard very little about him before he became Caesar. Oh, and you are free to go. Sorry about the delay. NEXT!"

That little jab at Stu seemed to cheer Krys up a bit, the blonde guard managing a fairly passable smile at Paige as she wrote down her name and origin, and landed a quill on the table with a loud snap. "Well then, we got that bit settled." She rested her chin on her hands and took a deep breath, looking quite innocent for a moment there, one of her fellow guards rubbing his eyes as her lashes fluttered. "So, wenchie.... Erm, Paige we are almost done here. But, I am curious. Why come all the way here when you could have done the same in Aveas? I mean whoring must be the best job ever. You got the goods, you sell the goods, you keep the goods. It's not like puppy is made out of soap and wears off with use. So what are you hoping to find here?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Paige
Civus

Post by Paige »

Realizing the female guard had spoken to her again and this time with a question, Paige returned eye contact with her. Yet as she was doing so, Paige couldn't help but question, Why the Citadel, indeed? The adhiel didn't put a whole lot of thought into coming here. Honestly, she was too busy trying to sneak aboard the ship to escape her former master, Julian to even worry about where the ship was going. At that point, Paige didn't care where she ended up as long as it wasn't on the same piece of land as he was. It turned out, however, Paige was caught trying to sneak aboard by one of the crew and ended up making an "offer" to stay on the ship. She didn't find out until near the end of the voyage where she would wind up.

"Ah, very agreeable," Paige stated after what seemed like an eternity,
"Infact, I wish to explore other opportunities. Perhaps making more of myself. A scholar, perhaps. It does strick my fancy. "

Keeping her sky-blue eyes locked with Krys', Paige continued,
"There is so much to learn. Besides, whoring isn't something that I wish to make a future out of. The Citadel would be a great place to seek out a new opportunity, wouldn't you say?"
Last edited by Paige on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

Rum Ginny studied the puppy thoughtfully for a few moments, tilting her head to the side.

A more cultured girl might have wondered if he belonged to any of the people nearby, but to Ginny the idea of a dog kept as a pet was laughable. They were loud...stinky...they broke things, and scared people, and didn't have any concept of personal space. She dealt with quite enough humans like that already.

Still, she felt, deep within some long-forgotten corridor of her genes, an overwhelming instinctual desire to feed it a bit of dry biscuit.

"You'd better stick with me," she said quietly. "I'll just drop you off inside the gate, all right? You'll be kicked to death out here."

She opened her knapsack, and stuffed the puppy inside, where he fit snugly among her spare clothes.
Leon Crowley
Civus

Post by Leon Crowley »

He likes women...? Leon was, in truth, only half listening to what Stu had to say, but that part caught his attention. "Pity," he murmured to himself under his breath, and then nodded to the guard in a polite but short manner. "Thank you for your time, sir. I'll be on my way."

With that, he abandoned the rabble at the gates gratefully. It was unlikely he could afford any suitable lodgings at this point, but Crowley was, at least, a very optimistic man. If not the Caesar, then he was certain he could find some other suitable sponsor to support his lifestyle, eventually. In the manner in which he hoped to become accustomed.

Regrettably, until then, the nearest shoddy inn would have to do.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Most likely direction to take in search of cheap places to sleep would have been along the wall and then onto the docks, the seaside filled with sleazy bars and run-down inns and taverns, Ha'Penny Mermaid being one of those. Ahead of Leon there seemed to be some trouble, shouts reaching all the way to the gates, a few distant screams breaking through the noises of crowded street.

"Woof!" The pup could have agreed or disagreed with Rum, but it did growl a bit as she stuffed the small creature into her backpack, shifting in there until its head peeked over the edge. Another lick landed on the girl's nose, the pup obviously finding it either tasty, or hoping that one of these licks it would become such. The pup shifted in the knapsack, wriggling it head out some more, and soon Rum founds it small head on her shoulder, its cold nose touching the skin of her neck every so often. She was soon at the head of line, standing before Stu, his beady little eyes focused on the paper before him. "Name, occupation, point of origin and reason for visit, please."

"So the whore can read. Commendable. I can't see how that helps you do your..... Oh, wait. I bet you get all sorts of customers. Probably some wrinkly old guy wanted to play mommy and have you read him a bed time story. Is that it?" Seemingly satisfied with her own explanation, the blond guard nodded and smacked her lips. "It's good when people try to advance in life. Try new experiences, though I am sure you experienced quite a number of freaky stuff so far." Making fun of the wench was doing wonders for Krys' nasty temper, the scarred woman smiling. "Alright. No need to keep you away from your grand life in Citadel. You can pass and maybe we'll meet again. You can tell me all about how you left wenching and became a powerful mage." There was just a hint of sarcasm in the tone of her voice, as she glanced over Paige's shoulder and called for the next traveler to step forward.
Paige
Civus

Post by Paige »

Paige wasn't listening to anything that flew out of the guard's mouth. Although, the only thing she did hear was,
You can pass and maybe we'll meet again.

Feeling quite relieved, the adhiel held up her dark head proudly and passed the ill-tempered woman. Meet again? Ha! In her dreams. Paige wouldn't dare give that scarred face the time of day, ever. Not if she could help it.

Maybe this Ha'Penny Mermaid would be the place go.

Yet the further Paige walked, the more she could hear the sounds of screams. They seemed to be coming from the other side of the gates. Some sort of an uproar that she knew she didn't want any part of but couldn't help to be somewhat curious.

I guess now would be the time I regret that I don't know a soul around here. Paige started to feel more alone now than ever. I can always return to the Ha'Penny Mermaid later if I find nothing better. Might as well explore what is on the other side of those gates. With swift strides, she was off towards the gates and eager to see the city beyond; hoping she wouldn't have to return.
Last edited by Paige on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

Above the ruckus coming from behind the gates (which had by now captivated her interest), she heard the man speak. Ginny attempted to stifle her hysterical giggles, but found it difficult; the puppy's cold nose kept bumping her, and it tickled.

My name, she thought. What was my name again?

"Rum Ginny," she said quickly, "from Aveas. I'm a...uh...I'm a..."

She struggled to think of an explanation for exactly what she was.

"I mix drinks," she said, with a hint of desperation, and added, "I've come here for work."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Stu raised his eyes and met not only Ginny's but also the puppy gaze and was greeted with a high-pitched "Woof" from the little creature, his lips curling up into a smile. "Rum Ginny is an odd name, but that is hardly your fault. But, I will need you to explain to me this mixing drinks?" A stout man leaning against the nearby wall, chuckled at that and added in a rumbling bass. "Dontcha know mixing drinks is bad fer ya. You'll end up sick and make a mess of the place. Better stick to just one and get pissed with that." Stu ignored him and pondered what she had said for a flicker. "You do need to be a bit more clear about your occupation. There is some odd sh.... stuff listed here, but you are the first person who mixes drinks we have had."

Krys' mood may have been lightened by Paige's passing, but the next passenger made her groan and cover her eyes in frustration. A plump and cheerful woman in her thirties with a baby in arms, had come upon the table and was just giving her name and occupation, which turned out to be a wet nurse, and just as Krys was writing it all down, the blond guardswoman scowled and pinched her nose. "What the fuck is that smell?" The woman giggled, turning the baby in her arms and took a whiff of the boy's posterior. "Phew, someone has seen a dragon." With that she unceremoniously placed the baby upon Krys' desk and set about changing the boy's diapers, the achadhiel guard looking away, blushing and mumbling under the breath.

OOC: No need to hold you back. Assume you pass the Gates, but keep on playing here till we finish the scene. Let me know if she is keeping the puppy and I will add it to her inventory.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

Ginny cocked her head to one side, then spoke very fast in a salesman's pitch.

"You ever had a mixed drink, sir?" she said. "If one's good, you can be sure two's even better, and three's the best of them both. I combine 'em, see, to make new and exciting libations what will knock your boots clean off, if you don't mind me sayin' so, sir, even a big strong gen'leman such as yourself. The secret's in the ratios...it's all 'bout the ratios."

Thoughtfully, she chewed on her lip for a moment.

"Guess you could put me down as a barmaid, if I haven't explained it right well enough."

She flashed Stu a winning smile.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Stu looked rather silly as he gaped at Ginny, a hair breadth away from drooling out of the corner of his lips, shaking his head as the sales pitch ended. "Ah, so you are a fancy barmaid? I'll put in the drinks mixer and explain what you do if anyone asks." He nodded and jotted down the information, tip of tongue sticking out of the corner of his lips. "You are free to pass." He paused and leaned closer. "And I would really like to try one of your drinks. When you find work can you invite me to give it a try? I am at the gate every day."
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

Ginny's face broke into a relieved smile.

"Sure I will, provided I find a job," she said cheerfully. "And not to be a pest, sir, but if you could point me in the direction of the nearest bar before I take my leave, I'd be much obliged..."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Stu frowned for a flicker as he was fond of doing when he needed to think, scratching the tip of his nose with the back of a hand. "Well there is the Lecherous Whore just down the alley over there, but I don't think you can call that place a bar. More of a Nether pit or something close. I think you should make you way up to Burpin Dragon. Or even to Risque if you are good at mixing drinks. Those places have some class. Blackbridge may be a bit too posh for you right now. Maybe when you have some reputation." He paused, started to say something more and then just shrugged and used his nail to scratch the nose this time.
Rum Ginny
Civus

Post by Rum Ginny »

He paused, started to say something more and then just shrugged and used his nail to scratch the nose this time.

Ginny eyed Stu curiously.

"Thank you kindly, sir," she said sweetly, bobbing a curtsy (and horribly butchering its execution). "I am indeed surprised to hear of a bar what calls itself the Lecherous Whore. Ain't no kind of name for a decent place of business, if I may be so bold to say." She paused, and grinned as the dog on her shoulder began to gnaw on her earlobe. "I'll be off now, to this...er...Dragon place. You take care, now, mister!"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Stu glanced over his shoulder and shrugged. "Yeah well, old Duncan was rather pissed off when his wife left with all his money and named the bar after her. There's a picture of her right next to the spittoon. Seems he can't let go still, and it's been oh, twenty yahren since she left with that adhiel bard fella." Smiling at puppy's silliness, Stu turned his attention back to the line and went back to work.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

archived without skilling
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”