[Chyril 25th ET] Night song ~Open

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Eivlys
Civus

[Chyril 25th ET] Night song ~Open

Post by Eivlys »

The sun had set and she changed from her swan form to her human form and helped Ateya do the same in the house. She would wander to the house from the pond about the time the sun was ready to go down. In the bedroom she dressed for her night out. She would need to have the baby watched and soon the Olivia would arrive. Amber and Gwayne did make life exciting, but she still needed to work, and she still needed to provide not just for her, but for the baby as well.

She brushed out the long hair, making she each silky strand lay in the exact place, and then went to arduous task of applying make-up. She needed to conceal some things, the orange lips for one with rose red lips. Her eyes she lined and the lashes were worked to make them darker and longer. She added some color to her face so she did not look so pale, when on stage you could really wash out.

She stood and went to the main room and started cutting herself some bread and reached for the butter. It was not much, but she did not need much to get by on. The sun had barely set and she wondered if the other two were still out. She was sure they had many things to do during the day.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

A stiff breeze was blowing through the grounds of the seaside estate, making all the trees outside sway and rustle. Eivlys could hear the garden gate clanking against its latches, hiding the sounds of a visitor approaching until there came a knock on the front door of her cottage.

"Eivlys, it's Amos Eventree here. Is this a bad time?" Her employer's voice was raised slightly, to overcome the noise from the weather.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

She had not expected a visitor, and she was glad she was just putting on the finishing touches of her makeup. She made a quick check of the room and slipped the cloaks away in a chest at the foot of the bed, being sure to latch it shut. “Yes, of course, just one moment.” She called back to the door, trying to get her voice over the sound of the wind and storm outside.

She slipped on a dress quickly and unbolted the door, opening it and letting him in. “Please Lord Eventree, of course you are always welcome.” She shut the door and turned to take his coat and things. “Please have a seat; I will get you something to drink.” She said with a bright smile. “It is never a bad time when you are here. How can I help you?” She asked as she hung up his things and moved about the room to pour him a glass of wine. She made sure he found a comfortable place to sit and even put another log on the fire to bring up the heat, she did not want him uncomfortable.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

For once, Amber was in a good mood. A completely good mood. She wasn't afraid of anything, she wasn't missing anyone, and she wasn't in trouble for anything. Though the events of a couple nights ago were still on her mind - when she had been kissing Eivlys and Gwayne both, quickly losing herself in the passion, and then suddenly felt that things were going too quickly - she wasn't worried. Though she had quickly stopped things with the other two, she knew that neither of them took it personally. And it wasn't that they would never do it again, either... she wanted to... she just wanted to know them better, first.

She had spent the last two days taking care of some personal errands. Firstly, she'd gone back to find Gavin and Syrawenn, letting them know that she was going to be staying here in Dort with Eivlys and Gwayne for a little while. She'd assured Gavin that should he need help with anything, all he had to do was send word, and she would come. She had almost hoped that he would object, that he would forbid her to stay there without him. After all, she realized she was still in love with him. She felt a strong connection, an affection, for Eivlys, but so far, it hadn't changed how she'd felt for Gavin for a long time. But he hadn't argued with her. He was too good of a friend for that. And besides, he was in love with Syrawenn...

Next, Amber had made the journey on foot out to her family's farm. Her parents were overjoyed at seeing her, of course, but there had almost been a tussle when she told them she was leaving again. They were only slightly comforted when she told them that she would be staying not far away in Dort for a little while at least, with friends. Two of her brothers had still been on the farm, and they had been surprised to learn that Amber didn't go down very easily anymore, when they tried to tackle her by surprise, as was their custom whenever they could get her. Her eldest brother had finally married the girl he'd been courting for the past year and a half, and had moved several miles away to a small farm that he hoped to turn into a large one, just like his father's, so she hadn't been able to visit him, though she did write him a short letter.

So, with all of that done, Amber was now finally returning to Eivlys' little house. She was tired from all the walking, but in a good way, and she didn't really mind the dust that covered her clothes and her bare arms, neck, and face. She was used to it, after all, though a good bath would not be amiss. She stepped up to the door and knocked politely. She suspected Eivlys wouldn't care if she just walked right in, but she still considered herself a guest at the house, and wouldn't behave any other way unless she was actually told to do so.

"Eivlys," she called softly, "it's me, Amber."
Cowgirls Exotica's "Queen of Hearts" - 2008
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Amos took a brown paper package out from his long woolen coat before handing it to Eivlys to put away, then took off his hat and began to make himself at home.

"Thank you Eivlys. I'm sorry I wasn't able to welcome you properly sooner. The Watch has finally decided to do something about Jubal, so Watertown has been in absolute chaos this week." The young man's smile told her that he wasn't displeased with the situation. "I stopped by to see how you were and to give you these," he said, unwrapping the parcel and bringing out a Slim, leather-bound book and a green, velvety-looking stuffed toy frog.

"Housewarming gifts, for yourself and your niece," Amos explained, before a knock on the door interrupted them. The young merchant lord looked to Eivlys with a curious expression. "I didn't know you were expecting guests."
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

She smiled at the gifts, handing the froggie to Aetya. “Here you go, yes, it is a pet froggie.” She looked over. “Thank Uncle Amos for that.” She stood at the sound of the voice at the door and smiled. “I was expecting her, but I did not know when.” She commented as she opened the door letting Amber in. “This is Amber, Lord Eventree, she knew Aetya’s mother and she and I are very close.” She shut the door once Amber was in.

“Amber, this is Lord Eventree, he is…” She paused looking at him. “My patron.” She offered Amber a place to sit. “How was your trip?” She asked as she moved to set another place at the table.

“It is good news, Lord Eventree was telling me. They are finally cleaning up some of Watertown.” She looked at Amos and smiled. “It is sad that there has to be so much chaos. Perhaps I should see about visiting it, music always helps to bring hope.”
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber smiled brightly at Eivlys as she opened the door, but her expression changed to one of curiosity and guarded slight surprise as she saw Amos over the Swanmaiden's shoulder. She gave Eivlys a quick hug before entering. "Thanks," she murmured. "My trip was great. I think everything is settled for me, for now, anyway."

She took the chair that her friend offered. "Hi," she said to Amos, not offering him any other sort of courtesy, like a bow or even a nod of the head. Amber was, after all, a farm girl. She had very little notion of nobility or rank, and to be honest, she wouldn't have cared even if she did. A man was a man until he proved himself otherwise, in her mind.

"Watertown, huh?" she said after a moment of seizing him up openly. "Never been there. My father always told me to stay away from it. He would never say why. But my brothers would terrorize me with stories about what happens to girls who wander there alone. They said I would get kidnapped and sold off to be someone's plaything." She shrugged nonchalantly. "Of course I wasn't scared. Just never got the chance to go."
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"A pleasure to meet you, Amber." Amos rose when Amber entered the room and pulled out the chair for her out of sheer force of habit. He remained standing as they were introduced, before resuming his seat.

"I see. Well, I would advise most young ladies of my acquaintance in a similar manner - certainly, the harbour is not an area for the delicate or faint-hearted. But I suspect you consider yourself neither," he said with an affable chuckle.

"I'm curious. What do you do with yourself, Amber? You seem to have travelled some distance today. May I ask where from?" he enquired conversationally.

Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

She let them talk, making herself busy by making up some tea and getting the soup ready. “You will both pardon me a moment.” She asked them and slipped away to the other room to finish dressing and preparing herself for the night.

She was going to wear her hair up tonight, she though, and slip on that black dress, the one that made a small heart over her cleavage. It was full and went to the floor, and all the way back up again to her neck, it gave the idea of propriety but the lace allowed for some parts of her belly and her legs to be seen, and that added just enough allure.

She worked on her make up as well, brushing up here and there, accenting her eyes and changing her lips to a more natural color. The trick was to look good without looking as if you tried to look good.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber didn't really know what to do when he pulled the chair out for her, but she put it out of her mind as he sat back down. She grinned at his response. "No, I don't consider myself delicate, or faint-hearted. I grew up on a farm, the youngest of four children, with three older brothers. I've been tackled, punched, kicked and thrown by horses, fallen from hay lofts and trees, and any number of un-ladylike activities. And one really doesn't fight in a war against the demoness on Islay and be faint of heart."

She leaned back in her chair, trying not to think about Eivlys dressing in the next room. Her mind strayed back to a couple night ago, when she had helped Eivlys undress, and her cheeks flushed a bit.

She forced herself to stay focused on Eventree's words. "Oh, I'm from a farm not far outside Dort itself," she answered. "Spent most of my life there. I've been going around the city trying to find a friend, and I also walked all the way out to the farm and back." She shrugged. "Bit of a walk."

His other question gave her pause, though, and that was why she answered it last. "Um, I... well I don't really do anything right now... Like I said, not too long ago I was fighting against the demoness, and after that I was mostly just staying with some friends in Hafne, but... now I'm here, and I don't really have anything to, um... do with myself. Kinda looking, I guess."
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"Really?" Amos raised one eyebrow, looking rather impressed. "I'd have thought that city life had little to offer following an achievement like helping to slay a demon."

He picked his drink up from the table and leaned back in his chair, taking a deep sip as he looked over the rim of the glass at Amber. His expression was one of genuine interest, inviting her to expand further on her plans for the future.

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

It took Amber a moment to realize that Amos was looking at her, as if expecting her to continue. She shrugged and went on. "Well, I didn't see much point in staying in Hafne, for now anyway. All the fighting is over, and now they've moved on to politics. Talking about putting stones back up or something like that. Arguing with each other - the Clans and the Count's men. It might come to fighting again, but not for now. And I'm not much one for politics."

She bit her lower lip as she seemed to think about her own options and hopes for the future. "I've always wanted to get away from home, but for now I'm not sure I have the resources to do so. I don't really have any money. I want to find something to do that will... I don't know... keep me busy, I guess. Getting out and doing things. Making a difference somewhere. I just don't want to be sitting around on my ass all day... or night, if I find a job that warrants it."
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Amos grinned at her, displaying clean white teeth. "Fast money, no politics and a chance to put your blades to good use. May I suggest that you don't join the Watch then." He took another sip from his wine glass, a slightly cynical twist entering his smile.

"Ex-soldiers are a valuable commodity in Dort right now, Amber. I'm on the lookout myself, for steady and loyal men and women to guard my family and my business. I don't know if that's a job that will provide the freedom you want from your life right now, but if you ever want to settle down and earn a steady income, come and see me."

"In the meantime, if you really want to make a difference to this city... how would you feel about helping out with the recent troubles in Watertown? The Watch has seen fit to place a large bounty on the heads of a group of men I consider to be my major... competitors, and I would be all to pleased to aid anyone willing to take them down. They're dangerous, and you'll have competition, of course, but if you succeed it's a chance to earn yourself a reputation."

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber perked up considerably at Amos' mention of making a difference, and the bounties. Now this was something that she could get interested in, she thought excitedly. "Bounties?" she echoed. "You mean... I would be, like... a bounty hunter?" She glanced toward where Eivlys had disappeared, as if looking for advice, but she quickly looked back to Amos.

"I could do that. I'm not scared of dangerous people. Met plenty of 'em in the war. Killed a few of 'em too." She was leaning forward toward him now, obviously enthralled with the idea of getting into some rough and tumble action, after mostly sitting and walking around for the past several days. "What do I need to do? Do I need a license or anything? Or can I just go out and start looking for information, start hunting them down? Where do I go to collect the bounty? What kind of gear should I have? Should I..."

She paused, suddenly realizing that she had launched into the flood of questions that was customary for her when she got excited about something. She took a moment to visibly regain control of her enthusiasm and sat back, blushing a bit. "Um... sorry... I... I just can't wait to get out and do something... I think this is something that I would like to do, at least to start with."
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

With each new question Eventree's grin grew wider and wider until finally he burst out in laughter. "I'm a merchant, Amber, what would I know about these things? But if I were you," he said, a little more thoughtfully. "I would start by checking at the complaints office outside the Watch. It's not likely that they've managed to identify every single member of the Water Street Gang so the bounties are only going to be paid on some of the more important ones and besides," he shrugged. "It's where all the posters are telling people to go for more information."

"Bounty hunting's not like soldiering. You'll have no orders and no-one to order you around unless you put together a team yourself or you join one. From what I can tell, as long as you don't break any laws that anyone's going to find out about - anything goes."

"Assault their base in the Knot. Infiltrate them and take them down from the inside. Lure them out of hiding and pick them off one by one. It's up to you how to go about it," he shrugged and picked up his drink again. "Come back to me with a good plan and I'll back you up with the equipment you need."

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Once again, Amber was painfully aware of how much of a farmgirl she still was. She listened to Eventree's words closely and with enthusiasm. But as she did so, she realized that she knew just enough about the world to know that there was still very much she did not know. This was not going to be an easy job, even if she had been an experienced bounty hunter. Which she most definitely was not.

Still, she was not deterred. She thought quietly for a few moments, her mind working quickly to come up with at least some initial actions that she could take. "Yes, I will go to the complaints office," she began slowly. "I'll get what information I can, then I'll go scout things out. Just sort of 'pass through'. Then, depending on what I find out, I'll come up with a plan. I should probably start small, with the weaker, less experienced members. Maybe determine if it's something I can do alone, or if I'll need help. Then I'll go from there."

She looked up at him and smiled. "Thanks for the tips," she said. "Do you think the complaints office will be open at this hour, or should I go tomorrow morning? I've never had cause to go there before, so I guess I don't know if anyone will be around or not at this time of the night."
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

She stepped out and smiled at the two, saying nothing as they spoke. She floated across the room in her dress and checked on the baby. Olivia had not yet arrived and she was not going to leave until she did.

She cut herself a portion of bread and lightly buttered it, nibbling on it as she stood near the window waiting for Olivia. Amber and Amos seemed in an important conversation, she did not need to interrupt.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"It will be open," Amos replied to Amber. "It's the first place citizens go to if they can't find a watchman on patrol."

The dark-haired young man's eyes drifted to Eivlys when she re-entered the room. An appreciative smile touched his lips briefly, and was quickly hidden when he took another sip from his cup. "Heading out on the town tonight? In that case, if you've no more questions Amber, I shall not detain the two of you further," he said, rising from his seat.

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber nodded, pleased to hear that the complaints office would be open this evening. Now that she had learned of this new opportunity, she was rather impatient to get started on it. It would have been torture to try to wait through the night and go the next morning.

She stood up also as Eventree did. "No, no more questions," she said. "Thanks for telling me about it. Hopefully I can do some good."

She looked to Eivlys then. The Swanmaiden was lovely, as always. On an impulse, she moved over and hugged the other woman. "You look beautiful," she murmured.
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

She returned the hug to Amber. “Do not be silly, Am… Lord Eventree, you are a pleasure to have. You are also welcome to join us, if you wish. Though I think Amber may be headed off to investigate this new job, neh?” She asked her dear one, looking at Amber with a smile. She was not exactly sure what was going on, but Amber was excited about something.

“I still must wait for the babysitter to arrive before I can go, and I do hope I am not late. Would you like to come watch me sing?” She asked, giving him a smile.

She looked at Amber with a little concern. "You will not be gone all night will you?"
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"Why not? Where will you be singing?" Amos asked. "I'll stop by when I have a chance to, later tonight."

The young Merchant Lord bid the pair farewell after receiving a reply. Before leaving, he informed Eivlys that one of his men, Caleb, would attend to her for the rest of the eveningtide. Shortly after he was gone, Olivia finally arrived in a fit of giggles.

"Ooh, Eivee! You never told me Lord Eventree gave you a bodyguard!" she exclaimed, in the place of a proper greeting. "I met Caleb by the gate just now - by Pecunia, he's dreamy," she sighed, taking off her cloak before before spotting Amber in the room.

"Who's this? Hi! I'm Olivia! I'm Aetya's babysitter," the young woman introduced herself brightly.

Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

The swanmaid laughed and nodded to Eventree. “Of course, I will go to the Slivered Moon first, and most likely end up at the theater.” She wanted to see what other bards she could get to help her, as well as see the Lady again and see if she would back her on her endeavored. She gave him a kiss on the cheek and a warm hug before he left.

Eivlys smiled and gave Olivia a welcoming hug. “Perhaps it is his body that will need guarding then?” She commented and giggled with Olivia. She turned to Amber. “Amber, this is Olivia, she takes care of Aetya. Olivia, meet Amber, she is a body guard of sorts as well.” She gave Amber a loving smile. “Olivia, help yourself to any food, and I may be home late, so you are more than welcome to use the bed if you get tired.”

“I should not keep this bodyguard of mine waiting if he is so handsome.” She looked at Amber. “Do you have business in town?” She asked looking a little concerned.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber nodded courteously to Eventree as he made his way out, but didn't say anything more to him. Her mind was so busy going over the possibilities that now lay before her that she barely even noticed when the other woman burst in and identified herself as Olivia.

"Oh, hiya," she said finally, managing to bring herself back to the present. "I'm Amber. I'm... here..." she trailed off, unable to think of a way to identify her purpose for being there.

She looked back to Eivlys and gave her a reassuring, almost roguishly confident grin. One that, unbeknownst to her, held far too much innocence to really be reassuring to someone who knew what they were looking for. "No, I won't be gone all night," she told the Swanmaiden. "I'm just going to go to the complaints office and get some information, and then I'll rejoin you. I'd like to hear you sing, too." Her smile widened. "Don't worry, I'm not going to go looking for trouble or anything!"
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

She smiled at her love, and shook her head. Taking the cloak from off a hook on the wall and slipped it over her shoulders. She pulled the hood up. “Well, I understand if you do get busy.” Unless Olivia wanted something she would step out and pull the cloak around her tightly against the rushing wind.

She wanted to see this young guard for herself so she looked around for him. She would need a carriage to carry her to the Moon, and to get out of this weather.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber waved to Eivlys as the Swanmaiden headed out. She hadn't had anything for supper yet, so she hunted around until she found some bread and cheese, and ate quickly. Then, with a friendly - if somewhat shy - smile to Olivia, she, too, stepped out into the night and closed the door behind her.

She wasn't exactly sure where the Complaints Office was, but she knew that she could ask around and find it relatively quickly. So, she started off in the direction that she was fairly certain it was in.

(OOC: Going to start a new thread for Amber at the Complaints Office.)

Return to “Dort Archive”