Gulanadur Dark Knight - Training and Moderator Notes

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Gulanadur Dark Knight - Training and Moderator Notes

Post by Brytan »

How do players become a Dark Knight

Dark Knight Training consists of 20 tests that a prospective Dark Knight must pass. These 20 tests are divided roughly into military tests and non-military tests. Tests should alternate between Military and Non-Military to provide a balanced and progressive development in the Dark Knight in Training. Training will always start with the Time of Silence, a non-military test.

The 10 military tests emphasize Strength, Endurance, Dexterity, Close Weapon Fighting, Ranged Weapon Fighting, Tactics, Stealth, and Situation Assessment. These are meant to work on the body as well as the mind of the Dark Knight. A knight in training may complete the above tests using the strength of his or her body or using the strengths of his or her mind. It may or may not be accepted if the student only uses their body or only uses their mind to solve the conditions of the tests. This might mean that the student is deficient in some manner and thus unacceptable for being a Dark Knight.

Tests that are military, and the curriculum followed by Captain Vel'dorn are:

2) The Run - Students must complete a certain path around the 3rd Tier of Gulanadur within a certain period of time. This may or may not coincide with the time of silence. It often does. This test should not be cheated on, thus it will require a physical character.

4) The Stone Yard - A courtyard with two definite ends and the class of students. Before the candles burn completely out, the students must move all the stones from one end of the courtyard to the other end. This can be accomplished through a physical means but will take the full amount of time and good teamwork. This can also be a mental challenge where bright students use resources at their disposal to solve this test. The Instructor will supply the students with a candle regarding their time and will keep a candle with himself to keep track of the time.

6) Catch and Dodge - The upper tier is home to few herding animals for few, but one animal that thrives in the Gulanadur conditions is the dark swine. The black skinned piglets have a very salty meat and are rarely taken for that but the thin fur which grows quick can be used for fine clothing one cleaned and dyed. The nature of this test however is simple. To go into one of the large pens and catch the female. While catching the agile piglet can be difficult in itself, this is both catch and dodge. The males have a vile temper and will ram someone attacking the female. There is one female to a pack of males (Think seahorses). A prospective student or group of students should catch the female and deliver her to a special holding pen while dodging the rapid charges of the males. This exercise/test is a trial of dexterity.

8 ) Close Weapon - PC choice

10) Ranged Weapon - PC choice

12) Tactics - Develop scenario

14) Stealth - Develop scenario (Hide and go seek?, Military games capture the flag?)

16) Situation Assessment - Develop scenario (Dark Knight set up)

18 ) Combat Situation - Deep cave exploring and/or dark knight set up

20) Final Test - Putting it all together - an assignment of some kind should be the final test. I think this should be player specific here to get them deeply involved in a plot developed for them or a world plot.

The 10 non-military tests emphasize silence and listening, communication, history, manners, command, survival, cultures, science, art, and humility. These tests are meant to work the mind and the spirit of the Dark Knight. Dark Knights need to be versed in more than a sword to survive Gulanadur or elsewhere. The Dark Knights of Gulanadur should be considered as pinnacles of military training and this includes such things as manners and humility. These tests will test the character of the Dark Knight Student and will often use both their mind and their soul to survive these tests and classes.

Tests that are non-military, and the curriculum followed by Captain Vel'Dorn are:

1)The Time of Silence - All Instructors should use this Dark Knight Test first and foremost. How they keep track of the success is up to the instructor. Captain Vel'Dorn uses two methods. First he uses the truth method in which he expects fellow students to turn in their fellows. This tests both the character of the one who fails and the one who tells. Secondly he uses a bit of magic to verify his answers. So he will always know. The test of Silence is 24 hours of Silence. (Copy Forum Text)

3) Bridging the Gap - I think Sign Language or at least a Dark Knight version of it should be practiced. Silent communication over long distances like across the tiers of Gulanadur seems like something that would have developed. This test is as much a class as it is a test. The success of this first class is the ability to communicate a complicated thought across one of the bridges that span the gap between the tier and the spire. Perhaps tactics discussion to stop a senior Dark Knight who is trying to escape.

5) Know Your Ancestors - Dark Knight history should be important to the Dark Knights. The legends of their past should be used as role models to whom a student should aspire. Finding a bit of truth about the possible failings of a revered Dark Knight could be a good adventure hook. Regardless Students should be advised to choose an Dark Knight to look up to. Perhaps a Fraternity of Some sorts with a Tree could be developed.

7) Manners - develop

9) Command - develop

11) Survival - develop

13) Cultures - develop

15) Science - develop - Player Choice

17) Art - develop - Player Choice

19) Humility - develop scenario - I think it should be important to know for a powerful fighter to know when they are outmatched and when they should forfeit a particular battle to win a different kind of war. Being humble. Allowing someone else to gain face, etc...
Last edited by Brytan on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Just a note that such training takes forever and a half if try to play them all out in game. A few Dark Knight trainees I got basically got assigned to a established Knight and the 'tests' were marked off as they came up in on the job training. Aside from a few at the beginning like the moving of the rocks. I played that out as part of basic training.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

I figured it was similar to the Kanthrop Awakening training. That basically takes a lifetime to achieve aswell, but is only played out in the final stages of the training (aka the ritual of Awakening).

Seeing as I basically so far just copied what information there was on the dark knights, it would make sense to flesh it out a bit more. If anyone actually wants to make a dark knight, then their character would have to have had some degree of training integrated into their back story, because starting such a road in character will take ages.

Is there even a mention of this "class" / "profession" in the Tazlure background information?
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]

Return to “Aveas Archive”