Coronation Side Thread - More Conversation - Dray and Ulder

Moderator: Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Coronation Side Thread - More Conversation - Dray and Ulder

Post by Ulder »

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre wrote:Dray nodded as those that he spoke with began to tend to other matters and conversations. He looked about the room, curious if any others that he recognized would be present...

It was then that he saw Thrandil talking with no other than Raevyn.

Craghley, if he was looking at Draydis, could clearly tell that a brief moment of anger crossed the guardsman's face. "What is that evil bitch doing here?" the words were low and hushed, such that only Craghley could hear them.

It was then that Dray saw Ulder standing alone. He had been talking with Thran and Penth, so the adhiel warrior thought it best to go introduce himself instead of going over to slay Raevyn where she stood.

"I am going to go meet this man that Thrandil and Penth were talking with a bit ago. I think it's best for me to avoid a fight in this place. Steer clear of that one...she is pure evil." The words were whispered to Craghley.

He waited a few moments to let the emotions leave his mind and face, and smiled as he approached Ulder. "Good sir. I noticed you speaking with Thrandil and Penth earlier. I apologize for not joining you, but I had to meet a friend that I haven't seen in a long time."

It wasn't exactly the truth, but Draydis figured that telling Ulder that he wanted to speak with Ashtallion because he had only met the mage in his dreams before would sound very odd.

"I am Draydis Quinn D'Anorre of the Emerald Guard. I was formerly the Commander, but have worked with my brother, Thrandil, to reform the Guard out of the ashes of Taquar. My command is that of military warfare and the elite holy warriors of the Mother."

He gave Ulder a slight bow of respect and waited for his reply...

Ulder's gaze took his eyes from the room and to the figure that approached him. Ulder had some measure of experience with the Emerald Guard long before this day, but the Adhiel that stood before him was certainly unique. He took in the measure of the Commander and sketched a quick bow of respect in return.

"Commander. I am Ulder Synkaaros. It is a pleasure to meet you sir. I have indeed spoken with your brother and he is a fine leader, as I'm sure you are. When he told me briefly of your mission, I was certainly impressed with its gravity and importance. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know, and I will certainly do what I am able. Blademaster Theorn was a treasured friend of mine a long time ago, and his advice and counsel still linger in me to this day. His companions are my companions and it shall ever be so."
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Dray smiled as the other introduced himself. "I appreciate your words. I am no longer the Commander of the Guard, but now share the leadership with Thrandil. I am now a General like Thrandil, but oversee areas other than diplomacy." It was clear from his dress, weapons, armor, and appearance why Draydis was not the one who decided to take on the role of diplomat.

His words were in the human tongue, but they clearly had a strong presence of the adhiel song ringing through them. He hoped that his lessons in the human language were good enough to fully communicate with this man.

It was interesting that Ulder had mentioned Theorn. Theorn had been a great instructor and friend of Draydis...until the day that Theorn and some others crossed blades against the crown and joined the Thorns. It was the Thorns that had joined with the demoness and destoyed Taquar. Fortunately, this was a situation where Draydis realized that some degree of tact was necessary. "Theorn taught me all I know about using my blades. His lessons in tactics and the blade dance have saved my life on many instances. For that, I am thankful." ~For his treason, he shall perish one day...~ The latter part was a fleeting thought only.

"I apologize for missing the opportunity to speak with you when Thrandil was here, for you have probably already answered many of the same questions I would have of you." He looked casually at the man's appearance, attempting to ascertain his profession.

"What brings you to this celebration?"
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"There is no need for apologies General. I understand that you are in a unique situation and when a friend is spotted, speaking with them for a few moments is important."

Ulder listened to the General speak of Theorn and his history with him. It was good to hear that Draydis had a good memory of the blademaster, but since there was no mention of where Theorn was now, Ulder could assume that something fell had befallen his old friend. He decided it was better not to press the issue here and now. Perhaps if they spoke again later, it would be a conversation worth having.

Ulder gave the Adhiel a wan smile as he asked what brought him to the celebration.

"The Ceasar and I are old friends. We once were employed together by his predecessor, he as Major Domus of the Empire and I as Captain of the Purple Guard. We didn't see eye to eye on many things, and our disagreements became personal rather than business. I won't bore you with the details. Still, he is a man to be respected and I wanted to pay my respects as well as say goodbye to a few people. My wife and I are actually leaving tomorrow to return to the West. Will you be returning to your home soon? Perhaps we can travel a bit of the way together. We are bound for the town of Pax Balthasar."

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

It made Draydis happy to know that this man was once the captain of the Purple Guard. Though he had never had the opportunity to meet any of them, their reputation was well known. It made him even happier to know that Ulder seemed to be interested in helping the guardsmen with their mission to rebuild the guard.

"I know not where our path leads. Thran likely told you of our purpose for being here. The Guard is at a point of rebirth...we have embraced the goals of old, such as protecting the weak, fighting for justice, living with honor, seeking equality, and things such as that. I do not choose my path, for the Mother has set one out for me. I will pray, and if She guides me in your direction, I would gladly join company with you, for it seems that perhaps we could learn much from one another. I know little of this Pax Balthasar, but have heard stories just as you have perhaps."

Draydis had heard it was a place for outcasts from King's Court. He suspected from the rumors that it was where the crown decided to send those that they did not have any care for...almost like a holding pen until they could be properly disposed of. But, those were just rumors...

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder's interest was sparked as Draydis spoke. Here was a man seeking the same things in this world as he and his companions. With the Adhiel's mission of restoring the Emerald Guard, he would likely strike out for that path instead of embracing another direction, but still it wouldn't hurt to ask and besides, not all needed to share his view. Sometimes an ally was just as important.

"Thrandil mentioned your plans briefly, but did not get into the details much. I fear his ability with the human tongue and my ability with the Adhiel language did not allow us to interact much. We agreed to speak later in more detail, but perhaps you and I can speak a little more in depth now."

Ulder took a sip from his glass, gathering his thoughts.

"I think the Mother may have thrust us together sir, for the very things you just spoke of are indeed the very reason we are going to Pax. The people of Pax are being unfairly persecuted for their faith. The town is full of refugees that are being forced to live there because they believe in other Gods besides the chosen faith of the old, dead King. They are not allowed to practice their religion anywhere else in the kingdom. There are weak there that need our protection. There is injustice in the way they are being held there. There is no equality for them. I have a group of men who believe in this cause and they are willing to fight if need be. These are former soldiers I served with in the Purple Guard, and we are going there to do something about this persecution and intolerance."

He took another sip.

"I know you seek to restore your order. I would never presume to say that this mission we are going to undertake is more important than yours. But fate sometimes twists the road before us in strange ways, and the Gods guide us to take steps we did not know we were supposed to take. There are some Adhiel in Pax. Some that might see the your valor and strength and wish to join your cause. Perhaps freeing these people is a means to an end for you, and be the first step in the rebirth of your order."

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The story that Ulder told of Pax confirmed the rumors and suspicions that Draydis already had heard. "I was hopeful that the stories in taverns had been only that. It saddens me that the crown treats its subjects in such a way. I, myself am aspiring to become a paladin of the Mother Crone. Though I would hope that all would embrace Her and learn to live within Her teachings, faith is certainly not something I would mandate upon others...for that is not faith. If another chooses to not believe in the Mother and all that She teaches, then I would pray for their salvation and ask Her to help them find their way along the proper path, but I would certainly not condemn them to a prison of sorts."

He thought for a moment about the great and terrible battle in King's Court when the temples were brought to the ground by holy power and faith twisted the minds of many men. "Faith is a great and terrible weapon. It is sad that Pax is on the receiving end of this particular poor use of it."

Draydis remembered a conversation that he had briefly had with Thrandil. "I have suggested to Thrandil that I would choose to open the ranks of the Emerald Guard to any race, so long as they embraced our missions, oaths, and beliefs. I believe that the problems of the past were caused partly by our people's inability or unwillingness to accept others that were of a different race or belief. I think Pax is another example of just that. For all of us in the world to truly be able to co-exist peacefully, we all need to learn tolerance....and the true meaning of faith."

He studied the other for a moment. This man was strong of conviction and of body. He would indeed be at the least a strong and worthy ally. "I will join your fight...though I will go disguised. Showing up in Pax in this uniform would likely cause them to suspect us of our true intent from the start. I would guess that you would prefer to go in, learn all the information we can about their defenses, and then strike at the heart from surprise. I will join you...and I will ask the other Guardsmen to join us...but we will travel as your scouts, and dress the part as well.

When it comes time for battle." Draydis smiled. "They will know we are Emerald Guard."

He offered his hand to the other. "I am thankful to the Mother for allowing my path to cross with yours good sir. I look forward to our journey, and perhaps much more. Please do think on my invitation to join the Emerald Guard. While Thrandil does have a say, I would hope that he would see your heart and allow that to make his decision instead of the roundness of your ears."
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder nodded as the other warrior spoke.

"If you are an adherent of the Mother, you should speak with my wife Elaine. Her faith in the Mother is strong and she has a powerful connection to her, and she... senses things about people. Perhaps she can aid you in your aspirations."

"Faith is a great and terrible weapon. It is sad that Pax is on the receiving end of this particular poor use of it."

"Indeed sir. It seems that there are many places that have been on the receiving end of such beliefs. The war in Aveas. Dort, Trothgard. Many lands have felt this lash, which is why we are going to stay that hand if we can."

As Draydis spoke of the new Emerald Guard, Ulder felt a flutter in his stomach, and a rush in his veins. It was rare to find a man with convictions and beliefs that mirrored his own so closely.

"I wholeheartedly agree, but I would suggest to you that a force tied to a government can only be the instrument of that government. But a force that has no such ties, can bring benefit and support to anyone, anywhere. Perhaps instead of forming two individual units, one such force could be created, a united effort between our peoples, and of all peoples for that matter."

"I will join your fight...though I will go disguised. Showing up in Pax in this uniform would likely cause them to suspect us of our true intent from the start. I would guess that you would prefer to go in, learn all the information we can about their defenses, and then strike at the heart from surprise. I will join you...and I will ask the other Guardsmen to join us...but we will travel as your scouts, and dress the part as well.

When it comes time for battle." Draydis smiled. "They will know we are Emerald Guard."

Ulder smiled warmly at the Commander's words and decision to take part in their mission. Perhaps he could have no greater ally than this man and those whom he called brother.

"Thank you sir. I appreciate your faith, your conviction, and your support, not because you bring more swords, but because you share the belief that what is happening is wrong and you have the will to do something about it. It will be an honor to have you and your men with us."

"We are departing from our home in the Patrician ring tomorrow in late morningtide. Perhaps after we cross over to Pax, we can sit down and discuss this more."

He shook the Guard Commander's hand warmly.

"Have a good evening, and enjoy the festivities. I look forward to seeing you on the morrow."

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"Where is your wife? I would happily speak with her. My walk with the Mother is still young, but I seek knowledge constantly." Draydis was clearly excited to learn about the Mother and another of Her followers. "If she can help me to continue on my journey of knowledge and faith, I would be deeply indebted to her."

Draydis thanked the Mother for bringing Ulder into his path. This man was one of honor, respect, and dedication. The thought of rebuilding the Guard for Taquar was slowly being overshadowed by a greater cause...to protect the world. Could just a few warriors make such a difference? Could heart and strength of will stand against surely greater odds.

Draydis smiled, for he knew they could. "You are right. A crown is often also a leash...a shackle."

The General was almost surprised at the words that came from his mouth. He had a strong sense of duty and a stronger feeling of allegiance to the crown. But, the words of Ulder were true. A government cared about policy, reputation, diplomacy, and the sort. A group with allegiance only to honor, protecting the innocent, and to justice would be much more effective.

"I am honored that you think so highly of me based only on my words." Draydis gave the other a brief hard look. "But, have no worry, for my faith and steel are equally strong, if not more so." He then grasped the hand of the other and gave him a genuine smile. It would be good to stand alongside this one. The adhiel warrior was certain of that.

"I look forward to our journey and to learning more of your ideas. Perhaps along the way we can learn a bit about weapons and fighting techniques from each other. I am curious how the Purple Guard trains." Draydis knew that humans relied more on their armor and brute strength to win a fight. His style was much more acrobatic, but learning about new weapons was certainly of interest.

As Ulder began to turn, Dray spoke once more. "Ulder, one more thing. Please, just Dray is fine." He flashed a smile at the other and then gave him a bow of respect. "If I am to fight by your side, then I would prefer to act as brothers instead of sirs."

DMD Member since 2005
Morg

Post by Morg »

Archived with no skills awarded. :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”