Meditations (Chyril 25, NT Gulanadur Embassy)

Moderator: Mods

Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Meditations (Chyril 25, NT Gulanadur Embassy)

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

He had made the final preparations for the coronation later in the evening and now he awaited his guests; the Professor Pralix and the Scribe of Illuminatus. The preparations of the Embassy were almost finished with the mosaic tilling, but more importantly, the Shrine of Molten was finished.

S'sinith walked through the underground path to the humble shrine which was formed and at last dedicated to his beloved Molten. Entering topless before the shrine to bare his brand proudly, he let his hair fall and relaxed as he fell before the shrine. He cared not if the priest he brought with him saw. He was at last with his god after tides without being at his Temple in Gulanadur.

"Ahhh... Glorious Master! At last... a place where I can be with you! I know you are always with me, but to rest before your burning embers brings relief to me. I bring thanks and praise for your aid during that fire. I feel the burn of change and I am being smithed by the hammer of conflict... praise you."

He felt like he was drinking water for his spirit... the trip to the Temple of Illuminatus was... alien. His frustrations with the surface had tapped his reserves of patience. Oh, how he longed to just place his nose in a book and learn, learn, learn, but his heart needed to be with his god first. His heart was truly glad to have this underground sanctuary as tears of joy fell from his eyes.

"Ohhhh... master! I offer my learning of these surface dwellers to you. My frustrations of them shall also be a sacrifice. How I long to bring you a better temple than this! I will continue to work towards the will of your Most Exhalted Daughter, the Queen."

He rose slightly from his fallen position, raising himself up by the arms and sitting in a cross-legged position before the altar. He spoke briefly to the priest there.

"Please... I would like to be alone with my master awhile. I would like to meditate on him before the corronation and the arrival of my guests. Inform me of their presence and I will tend to them."

With that he breathed in deeply trying to refresh himself, thinking back on the recent tides and what he had learned from them. He could not wait to take the magical examination at the UoM and show them how Gulanadur can wield the Aether. Part of him wondered the difference between faith magic and prayer since he had healed that sailor while praying for Molten's aid. Most importantly, he simply took in the glorious presence of Molten before the stressful political events which are about to unfold.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Within the shadowed cavern of Gulanadur the Temple of Molten was built around a rich lava flow, an ever present reminder of their deity. Followers of Molten eagerly sought properties where the crust of the land was thin to bring forth the same reminder into their personal shrines. Those without such natural advantage place a bowl of serpentine stone upon their altar and kept within it an everburning flame. Diligent and sincere worship produced a flame that never needed tending. It was said that the oldest and most venerated of personal altars became the source of lava flows where there should be none.

The priest nodded to Ssinith and withdrew from the shrine respectful to both his master and his god. The flame on the altar was strong and bright. Within flickers of the priest's withdrawl, Ssinith felt a great wave of heat wash over him from the altar and his brand burned with the attention of Molten.

"Your industry has pleased me, Ssinith!" Each word was as a hammer blow upon the anvil. "Ask and I shall answer!"
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Oh master... just to be with you right now brings me peace. I am a little homesick. I am glad you a pleased with me. It took me awhile to be pleased with myself, but this new office is no longer alien to me."

His joy was running rampant at hearing his master's voice, tears still flowing down his cheeks like lava as he almost seemed to curl himself on the floor. The secure heat of the flame was like water to his spirit in this foreign land. He just reveled in his master's presence a few more moments before asking his next question.

"I want to bring you to glory even the surface, master. Though I am sure there are still Dwaves who worship you, I want you to be considered as one of the pantheon here on the surface. I know you granted me this position for your glory and I intend to spread the clouds of your ash through the entire world... but unfortunately, there seems to remain an arrogance between the priests and the wizards even here. I have concluded in my recent research during the crisis at the Red Banner that praying for your power to aid my magic and the power of magic by faith is not the same thing. This study is yet another sacrifice to my forging which I praise you for. In light of this new information, in order to be taken seriously by the people of faith here... I will need to learn how to cast magic by faith as well as by sorcery."

How he loved his god. He loved his god more than he loved his Queen, though he primarily loved her because of how she exemplified Molten. He brought forth to Molten the sacrifice of his careful planning despite his novice status in the political world. He had a head for common sense, even though he was a bit of a social fop. Nothing in this world right now would please him more than to see Molten as a mainstay on the surface, so that wherever he would tread here, the flame would always be ignited. He slowly gathered himself up from his curled position and went into one of kneeling, continuing his slow breathing.

"Your Firebrand wishes to continue pleasing you, master. I will put an end to this arrogance between sorcery and faith practitioners once and for all. To better do that, I need to understand your power more. Though it may be bold for someone who is not a priest to ask this of you, please unlock the power of faith within my spirit. For without it, I will not open the surfaces eyes with the truth. They know next to nothing about the brand on my chest, but they will recognize the power of faith being cast. Tell me what sacrifices I must make, as I know your priests go into many years trying to perfect this power through devotion, and I will not disrespect their hard work."

If his request was granted, then none of the priests of this land could argue about his authority. Prayer was one thing, as any devoted man to their god could get prayers answered... however, being able to wield the magic of faith was a sign of a true devoted follower of a god and a man of authority. This would help him not only in his political position, but it would also intrigue the UoM that a man would have both the power of the arcane and faith, hopefully making them try and study it a bit further before claiming it was better.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

For a long moment, Ssinith felt nothing but the searing closeness of his god. The mark upon his chest flared into life and pulse hot and hotter with the beating of his heart.

"Answer me truly Ssinith and then hear my judgment!" Molten rumbled.

Who do you trust the most?

When in danger, who do you consult for aid?

How can you best serve your people?

After each question, silence hung in the awaiting Ssinith's words.
Last edited by Tristam on Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

These were hard questions to answer, as he had not truly pondered upon it. Who did he trust? He searched his heart... he loved Sera'Quine... he adored her. Was it admiration and hormones, or did he truly trust in her? It was quite a revelation to himself... though he trusted the Queen, he did not trust in himself, and therefore not her own judgement upon him. So who did he truly NOT trust?

"I have not trusted myself, that is certain, master. My own doubts of myself have caused me to doubt others. Arriving to this forge in which I had no idea how to be mold and molded, I admit true terror to social power. You are a god of power and growth and I have been fighting this inner war with myself. I believe in the Queen... I love her. And here I am trying to beat down my own insecurities. My trust in her has helped get me through this position thus far. My passion for you has kept me fueled in order to perfect myself to achieve the new role of the one I trust. What I have lacked thusfar is belief in my own growth."

He took another deep breath, staying close to his god.

"When in danger... who do I consult for aid? I... suppose it would depend on the immediate danger. Someone who has had more experience than I in whatever danger I face. If nobody else is around, I suppose I would fall on the experience I came from and act the most according. I know I can't trust everyone... but I also have no need to tell someone everything. I know you are a god who prefers the offering of one's own sweat and tears, thus I have not often gone to you for aid."

The last question was the toughest one and once again S'sinith took a deep breath to analyze himself. What did he truly believe would be the best way to serve his people.

"I want to do so much... for a time I had no idea where to start. This is why I started to break down the walls of all stereotypes in order to help cultivate things that the surface had against us. Still... in self examination I have been insecure in my own right, and have in turn been breaking down my own views with truth, which is why I entered the Temple of Illuminatus. I face my own fears and hates along with those of the surface."

Which comes back to you not trusting yourself, you damn fool... how can you be trusted with the power of Molten when you can't even trust yourself?

S'sinith scowled in anger at his own 'weak self' and narrowed his eyes at himself.

"Because in realizing this, I also realize that I have to start somewhere. To even realize that one needs faith in oneself and to act upon it is a revelation few even make..."

You've made mistakes! He'll never let you-

"Shut. Up."

Rage. Power... he could feel it turning against his own insecurities. His own stereotypes and everything he had been told that he was his entire life was just now arriving at a head for him. Something snapped in him... as if a glass ceiling on his soul had been shattered.

"Perfectionism has it's flaws. Striving to succeed so much that you fear failure and will never attempt things you are uncomfortable with. I've been striving to destroy this concept in other people in hopes of conquering it in my own spirit. I've been doing things in reverse... regardless of Molten's judgment, this ends now."

She'll never marry a mere servant no matter how powerful you become... why would you want to become a king anyways? You're much better off as a wizard.

"Because she deserves a king! She trusts me to the point of representing everything about her people, doesn't that tell you something, you idiot?!"

What the nether do you know about being a king?

"That he has to rule himself before he can ever hope to rule anyone else..."

Silence.

He was shaking... never realizing that this meditation would bring him such revelation and growth. He let out a lot of his heart to Molten, as chaotic as that was. His arms were holding him up as sweat beaded down his body. He wasn't sure if that was correct in Molten's eyes, but damn, did that feel food to slap himself around! All of the things he hated about himself, put down like a flaw to the forge hammer.

To rule himself...

This was how he would bring his people and his god glory. Whether he was destined to be king or not was not the point in his heart. The spirit of kingship in one's own mind was a dying art. There was kingship and there was noble arrogance, and S'sinith had long feared crossing that line into pure snobbery without strength. This is what he adored in Ser'raquine's spirit. He had to press forward and know where to draw the line through trial and error. It was a cycle of confusion to him which was lifted. He knew he wanted to be with her, but to be with her he had to be king. He wanted to be a good Gulanadur husband to her. He never imagined himself as a good king, yet still wanted to be with her. This was unacceptable. What he also realized was that absolute political backstabbing also didn't make a good king. He would have to support her in all ways, including politics, and that was the true heart he had in maintaining his position as Ambassador.

Now that he had learned this in his spirit, he awaited Molten's judgment despite the errors he had previously made. Regardless of it, he had grown about a decade during this meditation over himself. This was the way of Molten, and he adored it regardless of whether Molten believed he was ready to put the powers of faith to action. S'sinith knew there was always room to grow...

But somewhere deep down, every priest was an initiate at some point, still yearning for the fire of Molten.

"Master... you are power. At last, I trust myself. I trust my own instincts first and foremost to get me out of danger. If I know it is beyond my knowledge, go to you or someone I know who has paid with great experience that I have not. I can best serve my people first by having faith in myself... I have been chosen to represent my people, thus not having faith in myself is not having faith in them who have faith in me."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"You are raw ore in the smelter's fire, Ssinith." Molten pronounced. "With each pass through the flames you become purer. In time you will be tempered steel of the strongest make. Watch and learn." He thundered.

The air shimmered before him with heat haze and then Ssinith beheld a scene of long ago. The Inner Sanctum of Molten's temple was before him and on his knees was a young penitent on his knees before the heat of his god.

"Answer me truly Caldera and then hear my judgment!" Molten rumbled.

Who do you trust the most?

"You, Molten."

When in danger, who do you consult for aid?

"You, Molten." He averred.

How can you best serve your people?

"By serving your will and spreading your teachings, Fiery Lord."

Rise, Brother Caldera and serve me well.

Ssinith just caught a glimpse of the young face of Brother Caldera, triumphant and weary, before the image faded. I know your heart Ssinith. It speaks clearly what your mind ponders the truth of. Your love of my ways is clear and your worship sincere. Rise, Aspirant Ssinith. I shall put my spark within you but it shall be only through your diligence that it will grow into a roaring blaze."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Molten wanted S'sinith to trust in him fully after all. He did not fully understand this, but he accepted it with all his heart.

"Thank you, my beloved master... I had thought with your desire to see us take our own path that you didn't want us to rely to heavily on you. I... I'm so glad I can trust you... and turn to you..."

His voice cracked and he wept for joy. He wanted to crawl into the volcano and rest there like an infant in his mother's womb. Even in Gulanadur society, full trust into someone or something was a hard concept to get across. Silently, he wondered about the face of the new initiate whom he saw, but knew he was a lesson more than anything else. After a few burns, he picked himself off the floor and stood up in obedience to his god, raising his hands before the flame. He was like a child before his father as his tear-soaked eyes looked at the fire.

"I will trust you more, master! Now that I know I can!"

With that, he almost leaped to the flame in order to embrace it with all of his being... all logical thought of getting hurt or burned lost in the passion of his god.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Ssinith was stopped just short of the eternal flame yet he felt a searing pain on his chest all the same. The feeling was agony and ecstasy as though he had drunk from a lava flow and felt it searing down his throat to rest in his stomach. The moment passed leaving only a warmth from the core of his body and a new brand, that of a novice priest of Molten, emblazoned on his ebony skin.

Work hard and delve deep, Firebrand and Novice, Wizard and Priest." Molten urged him. I shall be with you. Ssinith found himself alone with that promise hanging in he air.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Pain... the pain of hard work. It was the same satisfaction as his calloused fingers to his countless hours to the paper and quill, or the stiffness in his arms after practicing his arcane magics. He reveled in it even as he shouted, his mind racing with the beat of his heart as he fell to his knees with his hands over the new brand. He wondered if all priests had this brand or if it was an evolution of his devotion.

Regardless, to be made worthy to spread the word of Molten as one of his own was an ecstatic privilage. He felt the warmth in him, and breathed as if he was a new creature.

"Yes, master..."

His mind began to race with hypothesi... the core differences between wizard and god. Molten was in him as a priest. Unlike prayers, the powers of a priest seemed to be the result of the symbiosis between a priest and his god instead of asking a god for direct intervention. He had heard of some priests becoming so powerful that they began to show aspects of their god.

As the Firebrand, he was a mere conduit... now his energy had been laced into Moltens, it would seem. It would also explain a scientific reason as to why priests could cast energy where there was a lack. If such was the case, then it was sort of a cross between Mindcraft and Sorcery, as you are taking your energy which is merged with your god to cast.

This would also explain the concept of the avatar; one whom doesn't speak for a god, but who is the walking god.

Here was the question, however... could a wizard who fuses with a god as a priest be able to control power outside of his element or would the symbiosis interferre with the casting of arcane power of an opposite element to the energy of the symbiosis? He would not test the theory in the sanctum, but he needed to set up an experiment sometime.

He stood up slowly, thinking of his guests who were about to arrive. He had a new confidence in himself as he knew Molten was not only with him, but in him. He would shatter the foolish pride that priests and wizards had against one another. To do so would bring further respect and understanding between communities as well as his people. He pondered on what to call himself now that he was a wizard and a priest... no, he was still the Firebrand, no matter what rank he was. He would do what it took to make Molten a force to be reckoned with on the surface, and it would start with shattering the "greater-than-thou" attitudes of the magical community.

He slowly left the santuary, knowing he needed to prepare himself for his new visitors. If he found the priest nearby, his new brand would say all it needed to, but he would turn to him.

"I will need your help to better understand our master, dear brother. I understand more than ever why there is a rift between priests and wizards... in all reality... my knowledge of energy makes me further appreciate the workings of the gods. I must work hard to break such rifts in order to spread Molten through the surface. Rifts between our people and our crafts do not allow hard work to be fully appreciated. To cause the world to grow and evolve will please and empower Molten. To truly speak for him... I felt it wasn't fair for me to not know him. "

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The priest's eyes widened when he saw the new brand upon the Ambassador. He nodded along as Ssinith shared his revelations from Molten and smiled at the end. "It is always the way of the Firebrand to melt new paths as the lava flow tunnels through rock." He observed. "What I can teach of the Burning One I shall do, but there are those wiser than I in which the fires of Molten burn hotter. When the knowledge of your elevation spreads, I have no doubt they shall wish to come here to learn and to teach."

While they conversed, one of the embassy runner approached and stood respectfully to the side until he was addressed. "Ambassador, one of your guests has arrived and has been shown to a place of refreshment."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Excellent. I shall arrive after I have changed" S'sinith replied to the runner.

Turning to the priest for a moment, he nodded.

"Temperer Caldera would likely desire to know of this good news. I have not met with him in months. Please send him word, but be certain to remind him that I have not forsaken my wizardry in order to follow this path. I will need my wizardry in order to bring more scientific minds to Molten. Tomorrow morning, I will need to learn the basic rituals of the divine power."

With a final nod to both of them, he departed the small sanctuary and put on a red and black outfit which was clearly more Citadel style than from home, but he was still well dressed. He needed to save his full regalia for the Coronation later that tide. After a bit, he went down the corridors in order to meet with his first guest.

Considering the Professor's absent mindedness, his mental wager was that the Scribe would have been the first to arrive.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Certainly the bookies of the Outer Ring would have given the same odds as Ssinith but in fact it was Professor Pralix that he found waiting for him. He was wearing a robe of blue silk and was neatly groomed in preparation for attending the Coronation. The servants had brought him a glass of wine and some pickled mushrooms from Gul to snack upon. The wine looked untouched and the Professor had separated the mushrooms into four piles on the plate and was scrutinizing them intently.

He looked up absently as Ssinith entered, turned his attention back to the plate and then sprung upwards with a sideways lunging motion as he realized it was his host that has arrived.

"Ambassador!" Pralix greeted him warmly and bowed to him slightly. "So good to see you again. I have so much I want to talk to you about and I hardly think that we shall fit it in before the Coronation. Still, let's see how far we can get, eh?" He smiled.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

My... he must really wish to learn about shaping!

S'sinith returned the bow and smiled. This was going to be an interesting afternoon and a true test of his political skills, but he had faith that both parties would be more easy going than most.

[Human]

"Greetings Professor! There will be another scholar arriving soon who also had inquiries of Gulanadur, so I hope you don't mind. Everyone is preparing for the historical event, and since we both were here to talk about how energy works, I thought it would be best to bring him in around the same time. How did your experiment turn? Did looking over the magics which formed the building give you the insight that you had hoped?"

How energy works... that was a way to put it!

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"It was most intriguing." Pralix nodded. "When I manipulate earth energy I am usually working with a gemstone so my techniques very much resemble a hammer and chisel. Very sharp crystalline precision and then a sharp blow. To actually mold and sculpt the energies of earth like clay was a thought I never would have had until I saw it. Now it seems so obvious." He smiled.

Then some of Ssinith words filtered into his awareness. "Did you say you had invited another scholar along." Pralix seemed ambivalent about the prospect. "Who else will be coming?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"I could fit him in no other circumstance, my friend. I'm terribly sorry that I could not get the message to you, but I know how crucial experiments are."

S'sinith could sense a hint of hesitance in the Professor; excitement, yet apprehension. The Ambassador sighed, hoping that the Professor would not be too offended at this turn of events.

"He will primarily be speaking to the representative of the Moonlady once he arrives, but Brother Quillan, Scribe of Illuminatus will be arriving. I know this is quite the surprise, but I have been pondering a new theory about the workings of energy. It is something only an Alchemist could truly appreciate, but I need someone who knows how to manipulate energy by faith who doesn't shirk at scientific explanation. So many in the academic and theological societies stick their nose up at one another and never really wonder how the other works. With my blessing from my god, I am a man who deals with both, and I find I have a higher respect for what the gods are capable of in my own experience with them because of my scientific knowledge."

He wondered if he baited Pralix's curiosity over his pride before he spoke, gaging his reaction to the revelation.

"I'm sure you run into filthy politics, considering how Alchemy can be an under appreciated art at times compared to more popular studies. There is a huge rivalry between the mindcraft and the wizards, particularly with Royal Magus being a mindcrafter. Quite frankly, you need to see the core of how energy works in physical substances to follow my recent findings with true question rather than instant scorn. A priest whose passion in life for his god is knowledge is also more apt to listen... I walked head first into that temple looking for answers to questions, and he actually gave them to me despite being a Dark Adhiel and a worshiper of a god who has opposite energy alignment. Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of all this political rabble between priests and mages. This is about the passion of finding the secrets of the universe, not who is superior."

S'sinith was still shaking with excitement over his new potential discovery after becoming a priest. His eyes lit up in excitement as his hands wavered.

"Please... I beg your patience, Professor, as I have yet to truly test this thesis, but it explains in greater scientific depth of how Faith Magic works. Back home, they taught me that the only difference between wizard and god was immortality. I was unsure of this statement since they had no Rote to back their teachings. As the Firebrand of Molten, I have a unique connection to a god. I have yet to see this process duplicated by another wizard, thus I do believe I am about to blow all of their previous teachings to the Nether and I'm frightened out of my mind! Because if this brings to light a deeper understanding of energy as a whole..."

He paused there, taking a deep breath from his thoughts. It could cause more politics... or someone could use the research for something destructive.
Last edited by Ssinith DIllil on Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Pralix took in Ssinith's explanations with interest. At certain points, especially after the comment that a god was simply an immortal wizard, Pralix looked like he wanted to speak but he didn't want to interrupt the Ambassador's train of thought. "Well," Pralix rubbed his forehead, "that is quite a notion to ponder and not one that I've ever given any thought." Pralix admitted. "In the early years of my career I was upbraided by a priestess of the Mother for slaying an entire creature for nothing more than a gland or horn. I was pleased to retreat into my tower and see them no more." He cleared his throat and took a sip of the wine he was provided.

"Still, the scholars of Illminatus are to be respected." Pralix allowed. "We have a few texts by their numbers in the University library. Its the paladins you can't talk to without a sermon." Pralix shook his head to clear it of the memory. "You would do better with a follower of Aurelius for such studies in my opinion. Though since those are so hard to pin down, I guess you've made the second best choice."

The servant that came to Ssinith before returned with the placid Brother Quillan following a step behind. He looked more at ease here then Ssinith had in the temple though he did seem to be squinting a bit in the dim light. "Ambassador." Quillan nodded to Ssinith. He turned inquisitve eyes to Pralix and awaited an introduction.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith nodded at the Professor, knowing well the hell he went through when he had become the Firebrand as a wizard. At last when Brother Quillan had arrived, S'sinith smiled and seemed to relax.

"Brother Quillan, Scribe of Illuminatus, this is Professor Pralix, head Alchemist of the University of Magic. Gentleman, I am pleased that both of you could arrive under such last moment circumstances. I know both of you have been desiring to see the different secrets of Gulanadur in different lights, so I had thought making this a meeting would be ideal. My purpose in doing this is also to break down the rivalry between priests and mages as well as my people with the surface."

He was a little nervous, not knowing how to go about this conversation as well as he hoped. He paused and offered a seat to his guests at the table.

"I think we all have a deep respect for the secrets of the universe. I must admit, however, that I have come across something rather fascinating. Since I first started as a wizard, I wanted to know how everything worked, but there was no mainstream way of explaining things. Everything may be energy, but I believe if any energy-using person is to fully appreciate his craft, a basic understanding of how the others truly operate is pivotal. I know this is slightly off topic as to why I invited you both here in the first place, gentlemen... but..."

S'sinith tapped his finger against the table for a moment as he smiled.

"I love what I do... and it pains me so to see one who is capable of manipulating the very universe, no matter how they do it, to scorn another because of the mere belief in superiority. If it is well with you, gentlemen... may I please share with you my Rote to better simplify the understanding of energy manipulation? I have seen that people choose not to understand how others work before judging them, and I think these simplified formulas can stop a lot of political rabble. In the very least, it will prevent the old 'I'm better than you are' without giving Rote to back themselves up."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Apologies for the delay. I had a presentation that sucked away all my time last week.

IC: Brother Quillan nodded politely to Professor Pralix who returned the nod in turn. Both listened attentively to what Ssinith had to say. They looked a little quizzical when Ssinith spoke of a rivalry between mages and priests. Neither Pralix nor Quillan considered the other faction a rival. In fact, it would be most accurate to say that they did not think of the other organization at all. Clearly things were different in Gulanadur.

As Ssinith concluded his pitch, Pralix looked more confused than ever. Quillan bristled as Ssinith made the accusation of superiority especially since it hit a nerve. Quillan did feel superior due to this faith but he also felt it was a justified and earned pride.

"Yes, let us see the formulas." Pralix agreed eagerly. Once they were back on the solid ground of equations and symbology, Pralix was certain he would grasp what his dark colleague was speaking of.

Quillan said nothing for a long burn. "I do not see how the power of my god can be adequately explained by simple mathematics and arcane symbol," he said at last, "but I am willing to let you try." Quillan took a seat by Professor Pralix and folded his arms across his chest.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"I dare not try to explain the gods that way, Brother Quillian. Merely how they work with us."

Taking a deep breath, be brought out his papers and began to share his ponderings.

"Well, the first step I took in trying to figure this out was to define the differences between the key three components; energy, the one controlling the energy, and the said god. Granted that all things are energy, but a rock can not cast spells, or speak its mind. I came to the conclusion that the main difference between one who controls energy and energy itself was the ability to communicate. Therefore, I have set aside these figures."

He wrote "e" and then "Se".

"Sentient energy, which has the abilities of communication. Now, in beginning this during my studies, I knew that there were aspects of gods which were directly more than just communication. Thus I labeled the gods "SSe" or "Super Sentient Energy". The gods are able to communicate, but for the longest time, I could not fully comprehend what aspects made them unique in their abilities until recently... but we will start with defining how the arcane formulas work."

Se ~ e = W

"Wizards directly communicate with energy, picking up energy around them and communicating their direct will to the energy. Of course, the energy we wield has no definitive way of communicating back. This leads us to mindcrafting."

Se1 ~ Se2 = M

"Now, of the three most commonly known ways of casting I know the least about Mindcrafting. I am uncertain if Se is able to be divided by the will it is attacking in question, therefore is could be "Se1 ~ Se2 / S x Se2" meaning that the communication or will of the subject being manipulated could have a resistance if they do not wish to have that communication. As far as I am aware, Mindcrafters do not have direct manipulation over non communicative energy, otherwise they would be defined as wizards."

He paused a moment, knowing the faith magic was going to be the hardest to describe.

"Now... originally, my equation for faith was:"

Se + SSe ~ (e) or (Se) = D

"Meaning the combined acknowledgment of a god and his follower is what controlled the casting and thusly made divine casting... this, as I have just found out is false."

He crossed out the original formula, writing a new one;

(Se) ~ SSE ~ (e) or (Se) = p

"This is how prayer works. The communication of one to a Super Sentient being in order to manipulate the world around them to get what they need. I found this one out when I healed the sailor at the burning of the Red Banner. I prayed over the situation, and found that my arcane casting was amplified, and it was not me actually controlling the energy given to me by a god. Once I made the communication, it was out of my hands as to how my god would answer it, and Molten was the one manipulating the power based on my request."

He smiled to himself, looking at both of them.

"This is where you need to be an alchemist to appreciate this one, my friends, as recently I believe I have found one aspect of a god which I doubt can be duplicated by a mortal."

(SSe/Se) ~ (e) or (Se) = D

"With the evidence of faith energy being able to present itself where normal energy can not, combined with the concept of embodiment where a priest takes on the aspects of their god, I have reason to believe that the relationship between a god and a priest is endosymbiotic. Meaning that the Super of the communication of a god arrives with the fusion of their sentient energy with that of the priest, creating a new thing all together. While alchemists can do so with non communicative energy in mixing potions, the priest and god, the communication between the god and priest actually fuses within the confines of the soul, if you will. When one dies, the energy of one's body no longer communicates to make a living being. However, so long as a soul is tied to a body, a heart beats, a brain thinks, and we are able to do what we need to. Thus, should the soul itself fuse with a god, the communication of our sentient selves to our body would effect the energies of our body. Hence, embodiment. Still, it is our communication and our desire to further that symbiotic relationship with a god which drives the power. Thus, it is determined by the growth of the priest as to how much "

He paused a moment, nodding to himself as if confirming that it's a good start.

"Once people can understand how the others work, how they debate whether one or the other is superior can at least be based on fact instead of opinion. I am still a student, but knowing how energy works has made me further appreciate what the gods are capable of. Even if we will never fully understand the extent of their powers, how we as limited beings communicate with the universe gives us a basis for that appreciation. Though my teachers despised priests, they knew well to respect the gods and not to trifle with them. With this, I hope to at least have mutual scholars make their debates on scientific fact which brings respect to everyone. It's... not flawless, but... do you believe it could be a good start?"

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

At many points during Ssinith's delivery, Quillan and Pralix would look up to see how the other was reacting to this. Each time they shared the same look of confusion tinged with incredulity. When Ssinith finished his presentation and asked for their opinions, they again looked at each other clearly wanting the other to speak first.

The silence stretched for a long burn. Quillan was more used to long stretches of silence from his meditations so it was Pralix that broke first and spoke. "Well," Pralix cleared his throat, "it is so difficult to say when I lack the direct experience of the divine that you have. The, um, the infusion of energy to bring about the permanent change of a subject is of course at the heart of alchemy but to bring about such changes in a living being?" Pralix shrugged his shoulders. "I suppose with the supplies of energy that the gods are said to draw this transformation, this fusion could be theoretically possible." Pralix again looked to Quillan.

"It is true that we speak of our souls growing closer to that of the Bright One as we advance in faith," Quillan tentatively agreed. "but I have always felt in control of the energies bequeathed to me by Illuminatus. He has always let my hands guide the prayer for good or for ill. Perhaps your Molten works in different ways." Quillan shrugged. "These thoughts of yours are to new for me to pass judgment on their merit, Ambassador. I should need time to ponder them at length."

"Indeed. I should need to work the math myself at the very least." Pralix nodded in agreement. "Still at a first glance, I would not dissaude you from working on this idea further."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith took the criticism well and nodded at their responses, knowing well that he had more work to do... but it at least opened their minds to new ideas, and that was the first step. There was still some distress in his eyes, feeling as if he was further away from understanding things than he thought, but the purpose in his showing the equations at least allowed the two to think slightly broader.

"Good, I have much more to learn. I am glad to at least have a sit down to pose new ideas. I may be rushing forward too fast, though. I will continue to sit down and ponder how energy works. In the meantime, gentlemen, I believe you came here for more information about Gulanadur?"

He put his notes away, nodding to his guests with a smile.

"Would you like a tour as we speak? I know both of your have your own inquiries on how we do things. We are still in the process of building, but it will be a unique experience to be certain."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Quillan rose rose gracefully while Pralix scrambled to his feet and then deftly caught the empty wine goblet that his sudden movement had caused to tip.

"Yes, I'd love a tour." Pralix agreed. "I'd like to see how the stone shaping I saw the other day has progressed."

Quillan nodded his agreement. "You can learn much from how a person lives. Lead on."

OOC: Feel free to describe things as you will on a summary tour. If you go too far, I'll let you know. I'll be sure to wikify whatever you come up with.
Last edited by Tristam on Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Though it appeared small on the outside as a very earthy building which danced between being natural and being structured as it appeared a cross between a mountain and a small tower at the bottom of a small slope. The front doors, instead of swinging outwards, slid the two stone slabs to the inside, making it difficult to push quickly without a magical shove.

The inside main lobby had a unique mosaic floor in front of a front desk, illuminated by a pair of large windows by day and by the indigo mushrooms at night. The indigo gave the strange sheen of the floor and almost glow in the dark effect and made mosaic the six-point insignia of the noble houses around the main coat of arms of Gulanadur have the illusion of being several feet lower than it already is.

To the left the main hall was the Ambassador's office. It catered to both those of low and normal light, having several lanterns over a large and comfortable setting. A red tapestry woven of Mushroom pulp covered the area behind the desk, depicting a battlefield tribute to the Army of the Ascent and the War. The desk almost appeared to be very polished wood, but on closer inspection, it was a part of the stone with finely shaped 'feet' like a lizard's claw. The chairs were likely the oddest thing, being the 'clay cup' ones which the Gulanadur Academy had in their lounge. They were stone, but there was a magic embedded into them to shift themselves to the weight and comfort of the person seated in a cushy clay which didn't rub off on any clothes.

On the opposite side of the hall was the dining hall which boasted an interesting lighting pattern. The ceiling was littered in the purple light of the indigo mushrooms, but quartz-like crystals were placed in strategic areas to amplify the effect. The result was something that both surface and Gulanadur born could tolerate of not being too dark or too bright. There was also a small platform area for entertainment if there were guests around.

To the middle of the Main hall were the entrances leading to the respective shrines to the Moonlady and Molten. The Moonlady Shrine being on the floor above them in order to get a proper view of the moon, the Molten temple being further down in the basement area in order to keep the closeness to the lava under the earth. The shrine of Molten held an altar and an Eternal Flame, kept burning by a resident priest with the place being covered in ornate obsidian. The shrine of the Moonlady had a large mirror and was actually the larger of the two, though less impressive with enough room for ritual dancing.

In the middle of the area behind the desk of the main hall was an area lovingly called the Labyrinth. Down the stairs was a maze of personal quarters such as the barracks for the guard, servants quarters, and several guest rooms for those who prefer the light of the indigo. Though the halls were roomy and smoothed out from shaping, some may feel slightly claustrophobic. Their plumbing was also intricate, being able to shape a miniature aqueduct from the ground water which was spread to bring running water to each water closet and into the sewers of Citadel when needed. Though less grand than the aqueducts of Gulanadur, it also showed how they got water for their irrigation and personal needs without wasting a drop.
--

S'sinith answered every question with as much detail as he could muster, and if he didn't know, he likely had a representative that one could talk to in order to get a better answer. One could tell that a lot of thought had been put into both artistic presentation and defense at the same time. With the Labyrinth underneath, one had to think of how many tunnels there were to the main rooms in order to protect the place as a whole, not to mention anyone trying to get into the under part would have to deal with not only low light, but people who knew how to travel in it quickly. The doors in particular with their sliding instead of swinging, made every little presence known with the grinding of the slide to the side. Even the windows had that same side slide to close them up during the night.

"We're still working in the final touches, of course. It has truly been a great exercise of my wizardry even with merely aiding the true shaper."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and archived. :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”