Speaker to the Dead [Chyril 25th] - Galaena

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Turi
Special Branch

Speaker to the Dead [Chyril 25th] - Galaena

Post by Turi »

The Hall of Thorns was unlike any of the other Halls of the Abbey. It was a two storey building, with white marble columns supporting the ceiling. The upper storey was ordinary enough, used for housing the monks learning in the hall. The lower storey, however, was dominated by a great maze of thorny hedges, with a shrine dedicated to the Goddess of Death - a manifestation of Mother Earth - in its centre.

There were rarely very many people present in this particular part of the Abbey. A few monks and nuns sometimes drifted quietly around, clad in ghostly white robes, speaking to each other in low murmurs. When she was present in the Hall, Mother Sonia tended to stand out amongst them.

Even if they never met her, anyone who stayed in the Abbey for more than a few days inevitably heard about the Priestess of the Eternal Goddes. She was an older woman, customarily dressed in a long black tunic with black leather leggings and a necklace of delicate bones. Her white hair was coiled in a tight bun and adorned with a comb of thorny branches. Despite her obvious age, her skin was smooth and flawless, and her icy blue eyes bright and alert.

She would be easily found by anyone seeking her today, as she moved around the periphery of the thorn maze - pruning, watering and generally tending to the bare, white bushes.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena had moved from the meeting with The Abbot, Syrawenn and Gavin towards the Hall of Thorns with a deliberate step. Her aim was clear as she asked the location of the woman in charge of the Hall. Moving towards the maze, she looked around for the woman, confident in her stride.

Spotting the person she came to see, Gaelena softly greeted her with the normal salutation, then quickly moved on. "Mother Sonia, I need your help."
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"Oh. Of course. How may I help you, child?"

The priestess turned away from the shrub she was attending to, her bone necklace clicking a bit, and she fixed a clear-eyed stare on Galaena. No trace of a smile showed on her thin lips, but her expression was expectant rather than irritated about the interruption of her work.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena paused as she tried to find the right words. It was difficult, but if anyone would understand, it would be the woman before her. "This morning, two warriors came to warn the Abbot that the island is dying. It seems the standing stones are collapsing, causing the land to suffer. They have spoken with a Vaga Hex and a Milkhaire, who both have stated that we need to resurrect the stones in order to save the land. The Abbot stated that we do not have the texts to tell how the ancient ones erected them in the first place and asked that I walk the Hall of Thorns to ask them if they could help us in either locating the information or telling me how." It was a bit long-winded, but she thought to lay it all out at first, as time was of the essence and questions would take longer.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"I see." Mother Sonia pursed her lips primly. Her gaze was piercing as she studied the flame-haired healer. "You are not the first to come seeking answers from the dead… but be warned, daughter. The Hall of Thorns is the Crone’s test, meant for contemplation of one's calling to the Mother and the Cycle of Life, and its mysteries are seldom given up easily.”

“You have not yet made a journey to the centre of the maze. I cannot tell you what will happen. Each must walk her own path, and rarely does one take the same path twice. I will warn you, however, should you find the centre of the maze, do not touch the thorns without good cause. One drop of their poison proves fatal for most people when it enters their blood – even for those who have spent yahren preparing for the moment.”

Having been caution, Galaena was then given ample opportunity to ask as many questions as she wished. In the peaceful silence of the Hall, her conversation with Mother Sonia could be heard clearly by those nearby. While they spoke, the monks quietly prepared for her entry to the maze. Dried rosemary and sage were scattered in two burning braziers standing on either side of the opening in the hedges, and a sweet, spicy smoke drifted into the air.

Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena nodded as Mother Sonia spoke, listening carefully. She took note of the warning, mentally storing that information. Suddenly, her mind was taken back to the last time she had walked a maze. Her first day in Roque, at the monastery there. The spirit child and the wolf cub. It seemed so long ago, though it was just before the war. She had tried to save the child, only to be pushed away. Would she face a similar situation?

"I understand this is not an easy journey I make. Nor is it an easy question I wish to know the answer to. But it needs to be done and I am willing to follow any path that the Mother wishes me to follow, no matter where it leads," she stated. She paused, then asked, "What should I expect, if anything? Physical manifestations of the spirits? Or simply audible?" The smell of the smoke was helping to calm her, focusing her mind.

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"It may be either. Sometimes both. But I have yet to hear of anyone actually being harmed by a spirit in the Hall - the Mother protects us here," the older woman assured her. As it appeared that Galaena was now ready to enter the maze, she began leading her over to the entry, with one final piece of advice. "Just remember to focus on what you seek."

Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena listened and nodded. So, basically, she knew to be prepared for anything. She would accept that which the Mother placed on her path. So far, she had not faltered in the steps before her laid out by the Mother. She would not falter now.

As they reached the opening of the maze, she paused, turning to Mother Sonia. "Thank you, Mother, for all of your help," she said, taking a deep, cleansing breathe, removing all doubt and worry from her mind, focusing on the task before her. Finding the answers to the Standing Stones.

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

The pale, stark shrubs grew densely, twining around each other, and reaching well over Galaena's height so that her view of the outside world was effectively blocked. Inside the maze it seemed a whole different world - somehow wilder and less civilised. Instead of stone or tile, solid earth lay beneath her feet.

The smoky haze of the fires seemed to drift along with the healer, wreathing her in a warm, scented fog for many paces. As it cleared, her foot suddenly kicked against a solid object. It skittered ahead of her, bouncing off a small rock in her path and spinning before it came to a stop.

The red-haired woman found herself approaching an intersection in the maze. On the ground, a dagger lay in her path. It looked older than the hills, chipped from flint and tied to a carved bone hilt. The blade pointed to the left and the hilt, to the right.

Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Having spent time in Pax Balthasar, spoken with a spirit child and her wolf demon pet, stepping into a wild maze barely phased the red-haired healer. Her winced slightly, though, when her foot hit the object. Resolutely, she moved on. Suddenly, she came to an intersection. Glancing down, she took note of the dagger. The point aimed one way, the hilt another. Flint and bone.

She pondered, the bones in Mother Sonia's necklace flashing in her mind. But the flint was like the stones that she needed to find out how to raise. Her mind made up, she went the direction the flint indicated, turning down that path.

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

The path meandered on. And on. There were no more forks, only a gently curving trail that seemed to wind on endlessly, then twist sharply back in the opposite direction, then go on again until Galaena had lost all sense of time.

Finally, the maze opened up into a kind of circular room. A hunched and wizened figure lay on a large slab of rock in the middle of it, wearing a brown linen dress, with her snow white hair swept into a bun. At first, she looked like someone's sleeping grandmother, with her legs were covered by a blanket woven from vines and branches - but looking closer, the healer would realise that these actually were her legs - and that the woman was rooted to the ground.

As Galaena entered the woman stirred. She sat up and stared at the healer wordlessly. Then finally she spoke.

"It's been a long time... since anyone came... to see old Mag in this place."

Her voice was a whisper, hoarse and croaking from disuse.

Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena followed the path soundlessly, her feet confident on the path, though they had never tread it before. Her faith gave her confidence that she was going where she needed to be. To find the answer and to save the land. Stepping into the room, she took in the prone figure, looking up as she sat up.

"I apologize for waking you, but dearly hope you can help. The stones are dying," she said as she moved a bit closer, but not too close, not without receiving some indication from the rooted woman to do so.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: A tie-over while Turi is moving.

"All things die in their time, child." Mag wheezed. She rose up slowly with a cracking of bark and there was a sharp snap as she stretched one arm out. Mag winced and stretched it forth again and beckoned Gaelena forward.

"Even death will die when it has served its purpose." She croaked. "Why bother Mag with talk of stones?"
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Moving closer, Gaelena nodded. "I know and accept that," she said, watching the spirit. She still kept back a bit, knowing not to trust everything on the path, though it was her nature to do so. "But these stones keep the island alive, the island where we all live, the island that The Mother made her agreement with The Storm King for."

She paused, frowning. "Too many lives are connected with this island to simply let it go. Please, can you help us?"

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"The Storm King?" Ancient eyes squinted to look closer at Gaelena. "I remember the Storm Time." Mag shivered and the bark of her skin rattled. "Waves taller than the great rocks beat upon the land. Rain beat down so hard it set the head to bleeding. Dark times. Dark times." She shook her head.

Mag looked up suddenly and fixed Gaelena with her gaze. "Come closer, child." She commanded. "Mag will help you but first you must see. First you must know. Turning aside the Storm Lord's anger was done at great cost. Great cost." She shook her head once more. "Mayhaps it would have been better to leave."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

"I understand that it was dark. But sometimes sacrifices must be made to serve the greater good," the healer replied, her tone strong and steady. Gaelena trusted the Mother to protect her, even in the maze, so she paused only for a moment before stepping closer to the spirit.

"Yes, please show me. I must understand so I shall know what we need to do," she said, moving within the reach of the tree woman.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Mag smiled and beckoned her onward as Gaelena "I shall show you all," she pormised, "but first there is the price of blood." The branch of Mag's arm lashed out and Gaelena felt a dozen thorn prick the flesh of her arm. "The first rule, my poppet." Mag breathed. "All bargains have a price and not all name them up front."

"The second rule..." Gaelena started to feel dizzy and everything before her eyes began to swim. Mag's voice was distant as though she spoke to her through a long echoing tube. "...blood forms a bond. Now my memories can be yours."

Suddenly Gaelena was outside. It was night and a terrible storm pounded the land. She was dressed in a white robe surrounded by a large crowd of people dressed in rough leathers. In her hand Gaelena held a flint knife with a bone handle. The crowd let her pass as she wordlessly stepped up to a cairn of prepared stones. Sheltered lanterns burned fitfully around it in a symbol of power with Gaelena at the center.

Gaelena found her opening her mouth to speak and heard Mag's voice now young and vibrant. "Mother, your children cry out to you but their voice is lost upon the winds of the storm! Mother, your children's bodies break but the sea claims them before you can mourn! Mother, the rains wash away all things but not even they can wash away the stain of blood spilled for the good of all. Not even the winds can blow away the cry that soul gives forth when cut to save their people. So now I give the call that cannot be ignored!" Then followed a litany of prayer. First the stones were cleasned, then the knife and then the body. Gaelena/Mag lifted the knife and plunged it into her breast.

As the lifeblood spilled out of her, the lifeforce of the Mother streamed in. Eventually blood stopped pouring from the wound and then it closed. Where Mag once stood, now stood the Avatar of the Mother and the Storm Lord could not resist such power.

Galena felt the pain in her arm again and she was back in the maze before Mag. The bark of her body was newer and the branches of her arm more supple. There was even the tiny green bud of new leaves hiding amongst the cracks. "So now you have seen. Now you can ask what you will of old Mag. You've paid the price and are due your questions."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena stepped forward, not flinching as the thorns pierced her skin, though she grimaced slightly. But even that was gone as she soon found herself in a memory.

As she held the bone handled knife in her hand, she could feel the smooth texture. The wind that blew her hair from the raging storm pressed the robe against her skin. The voice was different, but she knew it deep inside of her. She watched and listened, remembering someone else's memory, taking the words deep inside. Then, the dagger plunged into her chest and she tried to cry out, but the only sound was that of the voice of the Mother as it filled the body. The healer could only imagine the true scope of the amazement that the priestess must have felt upon that joining.

Too soon and yet not soon enough, the girl was back in her own body, gripping her punctured arm, her eyes soon refocusing on the spirit before her. It took her a few flickers before she was able to speak, digesting all she had seen and felt. "What would I have to do to prepare for such an act should the others fail to find a new way to bargain with the Storm Lord?," she asked, her voice unwavering.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Apologies for the delay. I had a hell week at work that sucked away my time.

"Those who are to spill their blood must be purified by wind and water and the sacrifice must be a willing one." Mag answered with a creak. "The exact litanies and players you now know from seeing them through my eyes." Gaelena suddenly realized that she knew this to be true. She had more than seen the rituals. She had lived them and details remained fresh in her mind.

"You will also need the knife that led you here." Mad reminded her. "Wind and water to purify, ancient earth to spill the fiery blood. All elements bound by a strong spirit opens the way for the Mother to pour her love into the world. It was almost too much to bear having that within me." Bark and branch trembled at the memory. "But it was worse when it left me." Mag whispered. "At least here, I found rest."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

OOC: No worries. Life gets that way sometimes. Thanks for getting back to me.

Understanding lit the healer's eyes as the truth of the spirit's words struck her. She did know. It wasn't just the sight she had just been given, but the steps taken to reach there that were imbedded in her subconscious. She nodded at the former woman, her eyes refocusing on the here and now, putting the past away for later contemplation.

"And hopefully you shall be able to remain at rest now," Gaelena replied, reaching out a hand to the spirit with out fear. "One last question, if I may? Where can we find the Storm Lord?"

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Where?" Mag echoed, "Are his storms not lashing the isle? The Storm Lord was never a subtle being. Head to where the clouds are thickest and the rain falls like hails of arrows. If he be where he was, then we bound him to a forsaken spit of stone off of Jerrhyn's point." The name was not familiar to Gaelena yet once more she had the feel of place from Mag's memories. She would know it when she saw it.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

With Mag's words, Gaelena's mind suddenly came up with the location, a look of confusion at this knowledge crossing her face for less than a flicker. Then the ever present serene expression had returned, a nod with her head letting the spirit know she understood.

"Thank you," she said softly. "I shall allow you to return to your well-earned rest. May the Mother bless you always," she added, waiting until the treewoman gave her leave to depart before following the maze back out, stopping to pick up the flint knife, as directed.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Remember it is the purity of the offering that is the key." Mag urged her. "A single perfect drop given in truth is worth more than a river of blood spilled in ignorance. Go now and good fortune." Gaelena had little difficulty in retracing her steps back to the knife. The hilt was warm to the touch as though just held by another. The blade looked undulled by its time here.

The sound of clipping hedges could be heard clearly and they led Gaelena back to the the entrance of the maze where Mother Sonia still tended to the thorns. "Did you find what you sought?" She asked without looking up from her task.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Mag's words were burned into Gaelena's memory. A single perfect drop given in truth is worth more than a river of blood spilled in ignorance. She nodded, knowing that she would need to be absolutely certain she was doing the right thing, no questions lingering in her heart or mind, if she needed to perform the ritual. "Thank you," she murmured once more.

She didn't seem fazed by the warmth of the hilt, the strangeness of the maze making it seem almost logical. She carried it out of the maze, not having a sheath or pocket to put it into. The voice of Mother Sonia caused her to pause, blinking several times, as though coming out of a daze. Looking up, she nodded. "I have. I know what I must do," she replied, her expression determined.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The determination in her voice caused Sonia to turn and face Gaelena. She glanced at the knife in the healer's hand and then up to her face. "There is only one thing we must all do in time." Sonia smiled slightly. "But you have a clear idea what you can do before then and that is a precious gift."

Sonia's gaze slipped down to Gaelena's arm still stained with blood and pocked with the marks of thorns. "A gift paid in kind, I see. I'd have that seen too if I were you. A little poultice of stinging nettle would go a long way. Good luck to you."

OOC: Are we done here or is there more you wish to do in this thread?
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Dort Archive”