One thing ends where another begins (TT, Open, EG mandatory)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

One thing ends where another begins (TT, Open, EG mandatory)

Post by Thrandil »

The main gate to Pax is known as the Forest Gate. It is usually manned by two bored looking guards of the Pax Honestus, the legion formed to keep order in the new outpost. Apart from the usual farm traffic that comes to and fro on a regular basis, most new arrivals come through the portal and the gate guards have little to do save stare into the nearby forest. Paths from the gate lead down into the forest and the River Clearwater.

The most notable thing apparent to new arrivals is not the gate or guards but rather the long, high, elegant walls of the town. The Wall (Pax) has an air of balance and grace to it, despite the fact that it also looked sturdy enough to withstand whole armies - and its design was somehow foreign to the eyes - unlike everything else in Pax, which was simple and functional and the very opposite of beautiful, the wall was built to some completely different standard. As if it had been plucked from elsewhere, from another city, and simply plonked here without thought. Or as if it had always been here, in spirit.

As all gathered a little ways from the main road, Thran looked at the Leafs , their Lieutenant and, last but not least, Raevyn. Both generals stood in front of the group of Adhiel and all others that came to look at this. Including Ulder, upon invitation. He was clad in the best tabard he could find, his scabbard cleaned, as well as the pommel of his sword. His hair was tied back and a warm smile greeted all. The ring was clearly visible around his finger and his stance was one of pride and dignity.

He then cleared his throat, and in the best, and thus slow, human tongue he spoke. "Welcome all! I want to thank master Synkaaros and master Penth for this once in a lifetime ceremony. First, I would like to call out, that I have made these decisions after discussing them with General D'Anorre. Secondly, I want to call forth the Emerald Guard, Raevyn. The first part of this ceremony, I will conclude in the Adhiel tongue, to speed things up. By what happens, and maybe the occasional word you do know, you will understand all. Thanks again for joining us here on this day where a new era begins."

He looked at his brother for a moment and back at those who have gathered, waiting for Raevyn to step up to them.

Edit: appearance of Thran.
Last edited by Thrandil on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Thrandil's ceremony was a telling and difficult thing for Ulder to accept. Not because he felt the Adhiel was wrong in his assessment of how to handle the situation, but because the reason was an uneasy and disturbing task. If it had been something he could stayed out of, he would have done so, but Raevyn had made that all but impossible. He hoped the entire thing would proceed quickly and quietly, but he loosened his sword in his scabbard just in case.

He motioned for Zimphander to join him, as well as Ailla, and a few others that had set up their camp quickly and seemed to be settled in. Neither the choice of Zim or Ailla was accidental. Zimphander was about as good with a sword as anyone Ulder had ever seen or faced, and Ailla was as good with her bow as Zimphander was with his sword. Plus Ailla was Achadhiel, and would understand the proceedings as a witness, and be able to translate if necessary.

He gathered them around and had them spread out a little to witness the proceedings. The Purple Guard were regularly trained to watch and stand ready at these types of events, and Ulder was confident that none of his men would interfere or become personally involved. He wanted them to watch closely and be ready for anything.

He made a point of standing a little closer and in a more prominent place. As leader of the expedition to Pax, it would be unseemly if he faded into the background. For this he needed to be close and personally involved. He clamped his teeth together to avoid grinding them in frustration. He stood silent and stoic.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Med

Post by Med »

With mandolin swung casually over his shoulder he joined the others. Nodding to most as he entered their ranks. Taking his place beside Ulder. Noticing the other's stoic resolve he thought it best to perhaps be silent himself for a burn. Not always the easiest thing for him. He smiled at his old friend in greeting. Serious matters seemed to be at hand and the bard had no intention of showing disrespect, but being civil was in his nature.

Curiosity kind of burned through him though at what had been resolved at the province office. Things had gotten so out of hand when the former Captain left Penth hadn't had time to even think about it until now.
There are two ways in life everything can go. Think about consequences and what doing bad will reflect on your future and vice versa. Karma is the mantra of life.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Draydis stood silently next to Thrandil. This ceremony was one best handled by him due to the circumstances by which it became necessary. Dray was not at all interested in this ceremony, for the Mother Herself had told him that they were to help Her with removing the blight from this land. For all he cared, they should just kill Raevyn and move on with what the Mother asked. When the Mother had told him of the problem here, She didn't tell him to do anything else first....they were to save the land.

Feral would be a good word to describe the appearance of Draydis. He was still wearing only his pants and leg armor. His short swords were strapped to his belt and legs in their usual place. The bow of his father and a quiver of arrows was on his back. The rest of his clothing, armor, and weapons were with his pack at the campsite.

Since his announcement that the land was being attacked by an unknown presence, he had spent his time in prayer...as none of the others seemed to see the urgency in the request of the Mother.

The tattoos and scars on his body were mostly covered now with mud, leaves, and other bits of earth and plants. His hair was a tangled mess of mud and twigs. Only his eyes remained untouched by the soil of the land. When Dray had hunted with the Howler in the woods of Taquar, he found that by covering himself with the body of the Mother, he was better able to tune his senses to Her. The Mother's Champion knew that this would be one time that he would have to keep keenly focused on Her.

Before Thran began to speak, Draydis traced a circle in the earth and then stood within it. The Mother would hopefully give her blessing on what needed to be done here this day. He prayed that there would be no need for any bloodshed. However, if Raevyn even gave a slight indication that she would cause problems, Draydis was prepared to eliminate her once and for all. If Raevyn could be controlled, or perhaps better yet, if she could find peace within herself, she could be a tremendous ally just as much as she was a terrible enemy. Just if...

It was a funny sight. Thrandil dressed in the most proper of official attire that they had, and Draydis dressed as if he were prepared to go out on a hunt. They were unified in their hearts, but opposite in other aspects. Together, they stood as one.

Draydis waited in silence for the others to gather and for the ceremony to begin. The blood in his veins was slowly beginning to boil as they wasted time with something that was useless to their mission given to them by the Mother Crone.

He dropped into silent prayer for a few flickers. Dray prayed to the Crone for Her guidance and asked Her to lead him in his decisions during this ceremony. There were many thoughts in his head and in his heart...and he knew what must be done. There would be consequences, yet he knew that he could not act against what was best for the Crone. Eventually, with eyes still closed, "Raevyn is not coming for our ceremony. The Crone has shown me this." There was something that had pulled at him since he first had heard of this ceremony, and it had only grown since then.

Draydis remained silent in prayer then, not acknowledging the others. The Mother had asked him to help Her clean the land. This was a day about Her...not a day for pomp and circumstance fueled by vengeful decisions. This day was about Her. This ceremony was at a time that was not appropriate, for the Mother had given them a mission. Draydis wished his unit of holy warriors was already built, as they would all know where to put their priorities to truly follow the Crone...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The traffic through the main gate was busy this tradetide as a market was being held in the central square of the town. As a consequence, the group that had gathered for the ceremony soon attracted a number of onlookers. Many of the onlookers were farmers, newly arrived to trade at the market. However, also present were a fair cross-section of citizens of the town. Most notable were two groups. First, a small group of grimy looking dwarves who had every appearance of being miners from the workings in the nearby mountains. Second, a large group of rough-looking achadheil youths who were talkng quietly as they watched the onset of the ceremony. An old human farmer, laden with a sack of produce, stumbled into one of the youths who responded by pushing the old man to the ground. The remainder of the group laughed and made no effort to help the man to his feet.

Draydis said his silent prayer and his mind filled with the same sense of foreboding that he had felt when he had thrown his knives at the tree. The words that had formed in his mind at that time came flooding back to him: The Land here is wrong…He also felt a sense of urgency as if the Mother was informing him that time was short, events were moving rapidly…..
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

The last we saw Raevyn, she was headed out of the barracks office towards town to find somewhere to stay. She didn't want to be bothered by anyone and she had told those that were present that she could be found in town.

So what sort of magick had her suddenly appear here now with people she didn't want to be around? What forces could make her be somewhere against her own knowledge? Since it was her decision to go elsewhere, that is where she should've been. Not surrounded by her current company, in some meeting that she normally wouldn't have went to anyway. She goes where she wants, not where others want her to be.

Raevyn was certain that she didn't eat anything to make her hallucinate, yet there she was. It was truly mind boggling for the young assassin. Since she found herself here, against her will, she glared at everyone who was present. The urge to throw a royal temper tantrum was strong inside her, yet she did what she could to keep that under wraps. It was a wise decison for Raevyn. Everyone already thought that she was a loose cannon as it was, didn't need to prove them right.

SHe looked at her clothing. She was in robes. The assassin wasn't wearing them a few moments ago, but since she was here, she might as well be wearing robes that she doesn't even own. Makes sense right?

And she glared harder this time. Her emotions were simmering inside her like a stew ready to boil over. Yet she wouldn't give these damn idiots the satisfaction of seeing it. No not this time. After taking a few deep breathes to calm herself to a level that she could act more civilized, her glare was replaced by a smug looking smile.

So you have got me here. Do not bore me or waste my time. I do have better things I could be doing.

Her smile broadened even further.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran looked around satisfactory by the faces he saw. Dwarves... he'd never really took notice of them before, but it was a nice sight. Achadhiel... that could mean he'd have recruits soon. He then saw the young man's disrespect for the farmer. "Sergeant," he said in the human language to one of the Emerald Guards, "could you help that man and carry his belongings with him until he arrives at his destination, please? You will be excused for the time it takes.".

The General then got back to the matters at hand and spoke in the Adhiel tongue now. "Raevyn d'Altamooriana, you have been with us for as long as I am and you have commanded the Guard when the Adhiels were in exile for a time. However, today you have threatened one of our own. As you know, we represent our Crown and a threat to one of us is equal to a threat against the Crown. Therefore I can not conclude otherwise than that you have committed treason. From this instant you are banished from the Emerald Guard and you will return the ring as well as all equipment given to you by the Emerald Guard to us. There will be no further punishment. If you think you have found the Mother again, she will decide whether or not you have washed away your sins. Then, and only then, will you be able to join our ranks once again. Do you understand these words?" Thrandil said, with some pain in his heart, as he has trained and fought alongside Raevyn and she knew how to handle her weapons. Yet, the officer knew this was the best course to take, especially after the events that morning.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

A raised eyebrow.

A smile of disbelief.

Fool.

Did he really think, for one moment, that Raevyn would actually listen to him? Did he really believe that he was someone that she was going to listen do? Did Thrandil honestly believe that his words meant shit to her? If he did, he was sadly mistaken. Her ally had obviously let his new found rank go directly to his head. He was getting too big for his britches. She'd have to knock him down a peg or two.

Raevyn did show her own diplomacy by waiting for Thrandil to finish saying what it was that he had to say. When he was done she was ready to respond to his words.

"Oh I understand completely Thrandil," her words were spoken in crisp comfortable Adhiel. There was no bite to her words, nor was there any hint of animosity. Just one of pure confidence. There was an aura of complete calm to her words.

"Do you understand that your words carry little weight with me Thrandil? Do you understand that while you have just been appointed your position by a man, I was made a leader of an entire nation by a god? Do you understand that while you were off doing whatever it was that you were doing since the last time I saw you I have fought the very gods themselves? What makes you think for a second that your words bear any consequence with me?"

Raevyn took her time and stood up slowly, taking in her surroundings. The assassin folder her hands together as she began to walk slowly about as if the very wind itself were guiding her footsteps.

"I know, because Draydis made you a General. In case you have already forgotten, he has alread forgiven me for what transpired today. If he has forgiven me for my transgressions why can you not do the same? Do you enjoy shouting out commands like this? Does it make you feel like you are more of a man?"

Raevyn drifted towards Thrandil now. Her motions were not menacing or threatening.

"Do you get off on the power?"

The dark adhiel then turned from him and walked back to where she had just came from. Again her steps were casual, and rather light. She turned to face him once more, as if he were the only one present.

"I have fought demons from the Nether for the right to wear this ring, and the right to call myself an Emerald Guard. You sir, certainly are quite disillusioned if you believe that I will hand this ring that I wear proudly to you just because you demand me to do so."

The assassin then turned to face Ulder, then Draydis.

"Thrandil, you are nothing, but a mere man. Even with all your decoration and rank, underneath it all lies a simple man. Just as you are a man, I am a woman. A woman that does not answer to you."

"A woman that does not need your validation or acceptance. You can not punish me for I do not answer to you. I answer to a higher source Thrandil, lest you forgot I am in good graces with the mother. I am her follower, I am a priestess Thrandil. Your punishment is inconsequential to me."

Raevyn then sat down on the ground. She crossed her legs and folded her hands waiting to see what he, or others had to say.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis did not want to be here. The Mother had asked him to do as she had asked, and he was being delayed by this ceremony created by man. It was not what the Mother had wanted...but it was insisted upon by Thrandil. Draydis had told him and the others that the Mother needed them immediately, and it was ignored.

He listened carefully to the words being exchanged and stood in silence as it all unfolded. Only after Raevyn sat down did the Guard General speak up.

His words were addressed to all of Ulder's group and the Emerald Guard that were present.

"I have told all present that the Mother has asked me to help Her with a problem. My words were all but ignored. It was insisted upon to have this ceremony instead....a self-imposed priority over the request of the Mother. What kind of follower of the Mother are you if you think our own needs, desires, and interests come before Her? There is a problem here, yet we must have this ceremony first? I have forgiven Raevyn for her transgressions. I acknowledge that something must be done to prevent further acts such as hers, but when the Mother calls for action, we must obey. When the Mother selected each of you to join the ranks of the Emerald Guard, She did so knowing that She could trust to you help Her when She asked. Yet, here we stand... Here we..."

He shook his head. His words were cool, yet they bore the edge of emotion that was in check for now. It was unclear if the emotion was anger, frustration, or disgust. Perhaps it was a mix of all.

With that, Draydis walked over to Raevyn. His words to the others were finished. It was time to do something to end this ridiculous ceremony.

"The Mother has asked me to help with a problem that is present here. I have prayed to the Mother constantly since our hearing in the barracks today. She has shown me the path that must be taken. I am sorry that it has come to this, but your involvement in the Guard as it has been in the past is now at an end. If I may respectfully ask for your ring, so we can conclude this ceremony and begin with the process of truly serving our Mother, for She calls us now to action."

His words were kind to her, and without the edge that was present as he had spoken to the others. There was a genuine look in his eyes that spoke of a sincere desire to serve the Mother.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

'Hold.'

Craghley made himself heard and seen, stepping forward after Draydis had spoken his piece. He continued walking forward towards his generals.

'Forgive me sirs, but I swore a duty to the Emerald Guard. Which, right now, includes Raevyn D'Altimooriana.

'You have asked Raevyn to hand over not just a bauble for her finger, but her existence as a member of a force which fights for the noble virtues that we all do. As much as I respect both of your judgements, generals D'Anorre and Mael-Muire, have you truly listened to what Ms. D'Altimooriana has said? And Master Penth has been witness to her deeds as well; can you cast her sacrifices away so readily? True, she has jeapardised our work here. I've seen the damage that has been caused in the eyes of the officials. But her wounds were grievous, and mayhap most important though she didn't know it, accidental.
What I am concerned with most of all, though, is that you speak for the Mother without seeming to consult her in this matter. The sly snake,with its' stealth and venom, is as close to the mother as the proud stag with it's noble antlers. I've seen the Mother speak to us when we have needed her judgment and blessings. Is this situation so different as those other times you've called on our deity, Raevyn's deity as a member of the Guard, in times of need?'

Taken aback by the length of his own words, Craghley fell silent all of a sudden, head slightly bowed to accept what his superiors had to say.
Last edited by Craghley on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn was prepared for the worst when Draydis went to speak. He the victim of her blind rage and hatred marks earlier. A fellow Guardsman that she had mistakenly thought tried to take her life. Now she found herself in the middle of a hearing that could very well decide her fate as an Emerald Guard.

She was also ready to rip whatever he had to shreds with her verbal venom until what he said caught her off guard. He didn't come down on her like the others had so far. Words that she thought would be a load of manure actually made sense, and he had her full attention.

Raevyn nodded her agreement at the points he made. The general's words had started to give the assassin hope. Hope that maybe things were going to work themselves out. Draydis was right, even though Raevyn would never admit it to anyone. There was a bigger issue going on here. More than this pomp and circumstance. More than peoples egos and their prides.

There was evil afoot, and Raevyn would know. She knew evil well because she herself was pure unadulterated evil. For yahren Raevyn had fought the darkness that dwelt within her, and she knew the taint of evil when she saw it. It wasn't until she embraced her innate darkness that she would find peace.

Yet there still was a duty. There was an oath that she had taken when she had joined the guard. It was to serve the Mother. A fact that those here seemed to have forgotten. Something that was only solidified by Craghley's words.

Craghley's interjection came as a complete surprise. Here was a man that short time ago had made the mistake of getting between Raevyn and someone she wanted dead. He butted in where he didn't belong. But here he was now, seemingly taking her side in this when others were against her. She was floored.

Raevyn whispered the words thank you with her lips to him. She hated it, but you really couldn't hate someone when they were trying to help you. It also made her next decision that much easier.

"Draydis, you are correct in what you say," she began. "As are you sir," she said to Craghley since she didn't know his name yet. "An oath to serve the mother was taken by us all. If it take me giving up this ring in order to serve her," Raevyn swallowed hard, and took a deep breath.

"Then so be it."

She couldn't believe her own actions, and she never thought that she would do it. With herright hand she reached for the finger on her left hand that wore her ring. A ring that she held dear to her.

"I do not need this to serve the Mother," Raevyn said as she slid the ring off of her finger and handed to General Draydis. "There are other ways that I can serve her, outside of the guard if need be."

After she turned in her ring, she turned and walked away. A sadness started to befall her. Yet in that sadness the assassin found a new strength.

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis listened intently to the words spoken by both Raevyn and Craghley. However, long before this ceremony began, Draydis had already known what he needed to do. The Mother had told him that She needed their help...and the others were seemingly preoccupied with their own agendas; so much that they disregarded his statement that the Mother needed them all.

Everybody present, save for one, seemed to focus only on the ceremony. One other than Dray truly knew what it meant to be called upon by the Mother to perform a task.

Raevyn.

Draydis looked at the ring of hers that he now held in his hand. It was a symbol of much. Craghley had correctly spoken with his words. He was indeed a wise and welcome addition to the Guard, for he demonstrated that following the Mother was important to him as well. Dray was glad that the highlander was part of their unit, for he brought much more than he even realized himself.

"Hold for a moment, please, Raevyn." His words were once again kind.

The Guard General smiled. As he did, the dried mud on his face cracked slightly. The smell of earth radiated strongly from Draydis as he kneeled so closely to Raevyn.

“This ring was given in exchange for your service to the Mother. We both know that you have served Her and our people well. I have prayed about your past actions against me, and I know that they were founded in your perception that I had attempted to kill you. I am thankful that you have accepted my words as the truth, and hope that we can both consider each other an ally once again...for I know that I can trust your skill in battle above many. Against demons or whatever else I might face in my life, I know that your blades are what I want at my back.” He chuckled slightly. “Your bow, on the other hand, seems to be dangerous to your allies, if I remember right.”

He looked at the ring and the closed it tightly in his hand. His smile was now completely gone.

“The Mother has called us to help Her clean this land. I know that I will need those who are strong of faith to aid in that task. I know your past, and I know the faith in your heart. Followers of the Mother take many forms. Those that do not know the Crone may think that our path is one of darkness, but it is one of cleansing. Without death, there cannot be rebirth. The Crone is just one of the aspects of the entire cycle of life that the Mother grants us all.”

He opened his hand again and held up the ring.

“This ring is like that cycle. It is a perfect unbroken ring. Without one part, the cycle ceases. The ring must be complete.”

He smiled at Raevyn and looked briefly to the others before continuing his words to her.

“I am one of two Generals of the Emerald Guard. Insubordination is not tolerated at all. While those of the Guard are free to speak their opinions, orders must be followed at all times. My command is that of military affairs and includes the formation of a unit of holy warriors of the Mother. You know as well as I of our difficulties in dealing with magic in the past. This unit will train to be able to combat against magic effectively.”

For a moment, Draydis did not speak. Instead, he looked deep into Raevyn’s eyes. His icy blue eyes penetrated into her very being.

“I need those of absolute faith in the Mother Crone to join with me. I need those who are not only strong of faith, but also strong of body. I need those who are unafraid to take on any enemy, as they know that together with the Mother Crone, we will be triumphant. I need those who have no fear, for their faith has fully replaced that emotion. I need those who will obey my command and who will serve the Crown and the Mother with honor, duty, and loyalty. I need those who want to truly make a difference in the world through their service.”

He held out the ring to Raevyn. It was not yet hers to take, as he had more to say.

“When I asked you for this ring, I told you that your part of the Guard as it had been in the past was at an end. And it is. But that doesn't mean that a new path is not available to you. I invite you thus to join with me as the first of my ranks of the elite holy warriors of the Crone. You are already Her priestess. I ask you now to become more. But, accept only if you vow to always follow my command, and only if you vow to always act in a manner fitting a Guardsman. Both of these will require you to change much, Raevyn. It is a lot to ask, but it is yours if you wish.”

He stood and offered his hand to Raevyn. She was free to take the ring now if she wished.

Draydis looked at the others. “We are mere mortals. It is not up to us to judge one another. It is our job to treat each other with respect and honor. This matter is done. I command the military units of the Emerald Guard, and thus, this decision is final.”

He then looked to the group of kids collected. In Ancient Adhiel, Draydis spoke to Raevyn. “We need additional recruits to help with the Mother’s request. Watch this.” A sly smile was on his face.

With that, Draydis strode confidently into the center of the group of youth.

He eyed each of them, as if judging their abilities. Their actions against the old farmer told the guardsman that they had energy to spare, that they were bored, and that they needed to have order in their life. They were all friends, so they already probably knew how to fight as a unit to a certain degree. They were youthful, which allowed their bodies to go through vigorous training and recover fairly quickly. The only thing he did not know is whether or not they would give their lives to the Mother. Time would tell that final piece. Perhaps he could help direct them in that way.

“Who are your two strongest fighters? I would like to offer a proposal. If your two best can beat me in a fight, then the rest of you will aid me in a task put upon me by the Mother Crone. The task I have for you will be dangerous, and might be one that could jeopardize your life.” The guardsman smiled at the kids. “But, I saw how you all ridiculed that poor man, so I know you are not afraid of anything. Besides, what chance do I really stand against two of your best?”

His words had been an insult to them as well as a challenge against their pride. He hoped it would be enough to force them to take his offer. He smiled at each of them. “If I lose, I will turn over all my money to you to do with as you choose.”

Dray knew that the Mother needed him to help Her without delay, but he felt that these boys had been brought onto his path for a reason. Their bullying nature was perhaps part of what was wrong with this place, so he felt strongly about trying to start to make a difference here by changing the people as well as the land. If the worst of the local people could be changed into better people, then the best of the locals would come along easily. He hoped the same could be done for the land...

He awaited their reply. Any of the trained warriors watching could immediately tell that his stance was one indicating he was clearly prepared for a fight. It wasn’t obvious to an untrained eye, but his body lowered somewhat and the weight shifted to the balls of his feet. With a simple movement, Draydis was ready to strike with a kick or dodge away from a blow.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder watched, and listened, standing mute witness to the events that unfolded before him. He couldn't understand the words being said, but he could follow along with the body language and the tone and timbre of their voices. Craghley's sound and sombre tone seemed to reduce the temperature of the conversation, and then, with resignation, Raevyn handed her Emerald Guard ring back to Draydis. It was an interesting moment for Ulder. Never had he seen her acquiesce so readily, so demurely, without so much as a whimper. The General spoke again at length and handed her back her ring.

And that was it.

Draydis went off and began to speak with some of the locals and suddenly it was all over, as if the whole thing had never even happened. It seemed all was forgiven.

That's it? Ulder was stunned by the lack of anything resembling discipline or corrective action.

What was the point in any of that? Simply unbelievable. If this had been the Purple Guard, we would be gathering rocks for her cairn! I understand forgiveness and mending rifts, but nothing? No disciplinary action? What does that show her? What does that teach her, or any of the others for that matter? What does anyone learn from this? The enemy will come with more than cross words and an angry brow. Trust has been shattered. Confidence has been broken, and the only thing that comes of it is some show we put on for the locals. It's not that easy! It's not that simple.

Ulder resisted the urge to shake his head in disgust and disappointment. The former Captain's trust in Raevyn had been tenuous at best. If she was willing to turn on her own that way, and then get away with it, there would be no telling what she would do towards him. He decided then and there that trust had been given too freely to the Emerald Guardsmen. He suddenly questioned if they had the will to fight what he was sure was coming. He wondered if any of them had the stomach for it. From that point on, they would have to earn trust and respect, because this little futile and paltry show was just pathetic.

Just sad...Just fucking sad...

The former Captain looked to his men and nodded in agreement that they could disperse, and he meandered his way back to the camp himself.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran listened to Raevyn's words as she attacked him verbally with questions. She posed questions to him not about the Guard, not about action or inaction, not even about morals. She was making an ass of herself, trying to make herself look better than anyone else. The Panling did nothing to counter her words. He swallowed them, knowing that it wasn't true. Spitting out his own words against her, would only heat things up and he didn't want to make more of a drama of this then the dark adhiel had already done. If one would call himself or herself an Emerald Guard, he or she would not have made such threats without first trying to talk about the events leading to it. He didn't want the power to be powerful, he accepted the power Draydis had given him to make a better world for Taquar.

Luckily, Dray stepped forward, so Thran wouldn't need to reply to Raevyn immediately. The Mother... why always act on the whims of her? Why is it always that? She was a protector of the Guard, she wasn't it's commander. Sure they should help the land, but it wasn't necessary to do them immediately. Kicking Rae out of Pax was, but now Draydis made this a personal affair instead of backing his sworn brother. At least he asked for the ring. That was something.

Then Craghley intervened and while he sounded reasonable he didn't seem to know everything he was talking about. Let it pass, Clansman... Thran thought and waited for Raevyn still.

And there it finally was. With words and much ado, she finally handed over her ring to Draydis. By the gods, these people needed sense talked into them. Sure, they could serve a god or goddess, but really, life is your own, not that of a deity.

And the drama went on. Holy warriors... the idea they had, but still needed some fleshing out... here he went... and the fool even invited Raevyn back in for it!

He had let all words sink in and noted how his brother wasn't what he once had been. Even Dort seemed ages ago. And this is what I wanted the good bard to join? Not by me, not while I'm with them... he thought.

Walking over to Draydis right after he offered the challenge and took a fighting stance, Thran undid himself of his tabard and let it fall at his friends feet. "Draydis, I do not question your heart or your person, but I do question your actions. I will no longer be part of what you are calling the new Emerald Guard. Consider this my resignation of the armed forces. I will fight for freedom and, most of all, for Taquar. I will do all I can to get allies, but not for your fight, not in your world. Here's my ring." the now former General said, and held the ring out in his hands for Draydis to take. If the tattooed warrior did not do so in a few flickers, he'd drop it on the spot.

"I only hope, Draydis, to find that staff with my bedroll tonight, so I'll at least be able to protect myself in melee battle, for I'll be leaving them with your camping gear, and the armor too. It is painful to do this, but I know it's the best course to take after what has just happened. This is not anymore the Emerald Guard, but it has become your personal crusade for the Mother. While I want to help her, I will not do so at any whim of her, but rather when the right time strikes. May she be good to you, and may you fare well in any battles to come. Adieu, stranger" he said, walking off towards the campsite, taking no further notice of any words coming out of Draydis' mouth.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

For a moment, and only a moment, Craghley knew relief. But only a moment.
When he was young, a storm had come to his village - the like of which had not been known for many scores of years. And it came quick. Craghley had been lying on a large, smooth rock that had been drinking in the sunlight through the clear skies since early morn. The smell of honeyed heather and wild thyme was thick on the air, and bees were intent on lacing the air with their brilliant yellow and black bodies. The day grew on and more pleasant, when a shadow cast itself over the lads closed eyes. A dirty grey cloud had cast tendrils across the sun, and the horizon was lined with black clouds which looked solid as mountains, and not long afterwards the day had turned as dark as night.
Then the storm had hit.

Craghley saw the signs in Ulders face first of all. Though they had reconciled somewhat with Raevyn (however fragile), something else had fractured with master Synkaaros. But what Thrandril did next stunned him. Was that his ring..?

One voice, one conscience stirred within him.
Well done, lad. Open yer trap, see what happens. By the Crone, you should have left Raevyn to swing for the crows if this is where 'mercy' gets us.

But then another voice burst into his skull, full of fire and rage.

No! What I said was the simple truth. Though I'd take anything that vixen says with a pinch of salt, you know the worth of master Penth's word. You know what this is. Draydis split his power in the Guard with Thrandil, and they accepted that arrangement. They're our leaders, by hell, and they're tearing the Guard and this mission apart! No wonder Ulder seems disgusted. I'll be damned if I'm not, as well.

Craghley spat to clear an ashen taste out of his mouth. When that didn't work, he tried a swill of whiskey. A conclusion was reached.
The Islay lad strode up to Draydis.
'You and Thrandil need to talk. The idea of these actions is to mend the rifts, not make new ones. To speak bluntly, I think we all need to understand how much damage this... this farce is causing not just to our allies, but our own Guard.'
Craghley eyed the dwindling form of Ulder.
'I have some words for general Thrandil as well. You might want to invite master Synkaaros along as well, if you wish to speak with them. He is the reason for this expedition, after all.'
And with that, Craghley strode off again after Thrandil Mail-Muire.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

It had happened before in the past, once or twice. Who knows when the last time it happened took place. Maybe it was when Raevyn was still young and living at home in Gulanadur. Or perhaps it was when the young adhiel first ventured out from the depths of her cavernous home. Whenever or wherever it happened last, it was quite some time ago. Yet the assassin found herself not knowing what to do, or how to react.

She was paralyzed by the wave of emotions that here attempting to drown her in their enormity. First she didn't know whether or not to jump for joy, cry, or worse, kiss Draydis for his kindness. Raevyn was never one to show emotion except for her undeniable blood lust when she found herself in life threatening situations. Or her rather quick to lash out tongue. Yet here she stood immobilized, as if the grips of a great fear.

Raevyn wanted to thank him, but where words would normally flow freely she couldn't put forth a single word. Her mind that was lightning quick couldn't place a single thought. As Draydis walked away from her she was frozen, unable to follow him. What the adhiel knew was that she had never been this vulnerable before in her life. Slowly her finger managed to close around the ring that now rested in her palm.

What made things worse was the fact that even though she couldn't act just yet, she was aware of the things going on around her. Of Thranny's words and actions with Draydis, of Craghley and the things he said. She was aware that Draydis had left and was about to fight someone it seemed.

The ice around her broke.

"Thrandil no," she shouted with a voice that was raspier than normal. It was as if her temporary freeze had even affected her ability to speak. Even though he was not one of the people she liked the best at the moment, Raevyn wouldn't let her own personal feelings towards him stop her from what she at least thought to be right. She felt her legs regain their strength and her first wobbly step was towards him.

"Do not be foolish Thrandil," she said in a voice that was far from pleading, as she moved in the direction that he had went. Thrandil was an important part of the Guard, whether it be the old or new. Had it been anyone else she would have let them go on their merry way. Yet he was someone she knew, and knew well, and someone whom she respected on and off the battlefield. Or used to at least. Raevyn wouldn't forget what he had tried to do to her, and she doubted that she could forgive him as easily as Draydis had forgave her.

But what was important was that they needed him, and she wasn't going to be the reason that he threw all that he had worked for away. Again she called out to him and asked that he stop and listen.

Ulder, well that was another person that she knew she would have to talk to eventually. It probably wasn't going to be pleasant either, but it still something she knew that must be done.

"Thrandil, you are making a mistake. Do not turn your back on the Guard Thranny," she called out to him. More importantly "Do not turn you back on the Mother!" He had to listen to her, he just had to.

Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

As Thran's foot hit the ground he stopped upon Raevyn's remark about him turning his back to the Mother. There's much she could've said, but that, as well turning his back on the Guard, were not in his little path of ignorance.

"Do not call me that ever again, dark fiend. I have never turned my back on the Mother and I never will." he said, his voice calm and no sign of anger or aggression in his voice. He did his best to stay calm. It was no use getting into an argument.

"I have bled for Taquar and have kept the Guard alive in the hearts of these men. I have accepted the title of General as Draydis wanted to split his responsibilities to make the Emerald Guard more balanced. After your act or threat of treason, Draydis, no matter if he forgave you or not, should have backed me up. Not because he is your Commander, for I like to think otherwise, but because the total command of the Guard should be in unison. And tell me, treason, wouldn't one be lucky to get away with that alive instead of dead? If the General isn't up to the task of disciplinary action when needed, the Guard is not for me. He deserves it more to command it then I do, that's why I left. As you said, I am a mere man. If you will excuse me, I have to find a smithy. If you want to talk, visit the campsite tonight, but don't expect me to talk about memories by the campfire, for I won't be in a very good mood. As for now, I think General D'Anorre has a mission for you."

Again, he had chosen his words with care, no direct attacks and he had spoken with respect. He wanted to fight for the country, but not the way Draydis was taking this. The whole thing of loyalty, honour and glory was undermined now. He wouldn't make any more part of it, unless Dray would change and Rae would be banished from the ranks of the Emerald Guard.

OOC: edited grammar error
Last edited by Thrandil on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Med

Post by Med »

Penth had remained silent with purpose. Many people over looked the smaller simpler things he knew, but well there was something very very odd about their surroundings. The girl in the bushes kept popping back into his mind she wanted a song and the minstrel knew that at strange times such things could soothe the spirit. He was not exactly a devout creature but anyone perhaps even the land gets a little soothed with the right harmony. So it seemed to him.

His trust in Raevyn diminished some as he watched the progression. In a clear approach he agreed the most with Dray. They should simply be helping the land. It was that simple why could they not see it. The bard barely had the vaguest upon the mother, but that made sense. The dark adhiel seemed to want to create strife and Thrandril steps down for her.

Penth was finally mad. It was perhaps the first time in his entire life.

If smoke could have come out of ones ears at this moment the bard's ears would have been ablaze. His eyes narrowed like that of a predator about to pounce. Every muscle tightened in a cord. He was furious as he ripped off his own weapon.

"So this is what you want?" he questioned all the surrounding emerald guard. "Then fight come.. Just kill each other while this land screams out for your help. You put such simple things as this before all of that?"

Still continuing to undo his belongings Penth tossed his most sacred possesion to the side. His mandolin. It was his one true best friend and meant more to him than anything in any world. It was his comfort, his companion, it held his spirit in each tone it played.

He looked at Draydis first, "If you want to heal something you will not see it happen by arms unless called for. Strike me if you like for what I say, but I speak in truth."

Then to Thrandril who was departing, "You may help the land but dismissing your brothers or whatever is just as bad as her!" his face tight with resentment.

"And you Raevyn... You don't care about anything do you? Come strike at me. You wanted to help our friend? Well do just that. He's over there waiting as is this very land. If your loyalties are so shallow why.. just why would you cause this? There is no need for any of it! "

Penth looked over at his instrument discarded and his heart nearly sank looking at the crack he saw. Passing by Craghley without much expression he patted the large man on the shoulder and picked it up.

"You want to see the soul of this land? Perhaps look inwards. I can find it through song."

Any one of them could strike him down with ease. Still his fingers felt over the familiar chords, checking all the simple details that may have made his friend damaged. It was the type of care one gave a child or family. His eyes cast over to the near by trees as he began to strum. Hoping just faintly hoping his song would be heard by that little girl... because wether they struck him down or not there was something bigger.
There are two ways in life everything can go. Think about consequences and what doing bad will reflect on your future and vice versa. Karma is the mantra of life.
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: hmmmm...some very rapid hyperposting here which hasn't given time for everyone to respond including your over-worked mod. Some of you have interacted with NPCs, so you need to give the mod time to respond before marching on with the thread. In addition, please don't make assumptions about the presence of other player's PCs before they post to the thread. I don't particularly want to intervene as there are some fun posts here but please take things a little slower :wink: )
Guido Cercatoro

He was inconsequential. Seldom noticed. It was his great skill. To blend in. A nobody. By-passed without a word.

By the Mother, what is going here?

The Dipper shook his head as he tried to make sense of the ceremony. The one called Thrandil was apparently accusing the female adheil of treason and demanding the return of her ring. At first she refused to accept the judgement but after the intervention of the dark-haired general she surrendered her ring only to have it offered back. By the Mother, what is going here? There is a power struggle here - that is certain. And, such conflicts can be exploited….

He watched as Ulder led his men away. Perhaps he is as confused as I am as to what is transpiring here.

***************************************************************************************

A member of the Emerald Guard responded immediately to Thrandil’s request. The guardsman strode over to assist the farmer to his feet and offered to escort the old man down the street. The farmer thanked him but indicated that he was unhurt and needed no further assistance. The group of achadheil muttered quietly but did nothing to intervene. However, when Draydis arrived with his challenge, the muttering came to an abrupt halt and they glanced at each other uncertainly. One muscular youth appeared ready to step forward but was interrupted by the arrival of Thran.

***********************************************************************************

And now they allow their conflict to be seen by the whole town. Have they no sense! Why air their disputes in public?

The Dipper grinned to himself as Thrandil now offered up his ring to Draydis. These baubles appear to be mightily important to these adheil. But the pride they have is a weakness. It will be their undoing. Still at least this young achadheil seeks to smooth things over. He cast his gaze at Craghley for a few flickers before directing it towards the departing Thrandil.

And how ironic! The female adheil now seeks to accommodate her former accuser. Such mercurial temperaments at work here! Where will all this lead? And now the minstrel cries with despair and seeks solace in his instrument. If it were only so simple. Still, he plays a pretty tune.

************************************************************************************

Penth played, yet there was no sign of the girl here near to the main gate. Perhaps she was still at the campsite? Perhaps she was playing with the friend she had named?

The minstrel’s tune rose in the air with the breeze. It floated into the ears of all those present as if trying to sooth the sore tempers and disputes that had befallen the ceremony.
Last edited by Guido Cercatoro on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray's eyes did not leave the youth in front of him as the others made their statements and threw their tantrums. There were words fueled by emotions, and there was even an unexpected resignation. None of which could be taken back. It seemed that once again, things would change...perhaps for the best.

It all did hit Draydis with clarity. Everybody seemed to be on edge...they all were focused on personal issues rather than fixing the problem so clearly identified by the Mother. Even these boys to whom he had issued a challenge perhaps were acting out of their normal character?

Perhaps the land was corrupting the thoughts of the residents as well. It was what made sense to Draydis.

He hated going against Thrandil as he had done, but he had told his brother that it was not the proper time for the ceremony as the Mother had clearly spoken to Draydis twice to heal the land. He knew that he needed Raevyn, as her faith in the Crone was without question. He knew that she would be one of the allies he needed to help the Mother. If the others did not understand that perspective then he would try to explain it later. Perhaps if Thran ever listened, he would hear Pan's voice calling to him, and then he would understand. Perhaps in time...perhaps all could be healed.

His original intent of challenging the boys was two fold. First, if the land needed to be healed, he would need to have help from the locals. Second, these boys appeared to be ones that were accustomed to trouble, and thus he figured they might have first-hand knowledge or access to knowledge that might be useful in tracking down the source of the land's poison.

Furthermore, he felt that part of healing the land was to also heal its inhabitants. The boys had decided to pick on the old man without hesitation. Perhaps they just needed some guidance to follow a better path. Perhaps it was more.

In any event, all the words spoken by Thran and the others were not acted upon at this moment. His challenge had been issued, and his eyes never broke from the youth.

There was one muscular looking one that appeared as if he were going to step forward, but then stopped.

"Come boy, if you hesitate in battle, you are likely to be slain. If you feel compelled to act, then do so. Do you accept my challenge?" He smiled at the boy. His smile and words were kind, but were also those of an instructor trying to teach a student a lesson. There was no need to be harsh with these youth. There was a need to teach them some discipline and perhaps a few skills. He would be happy to do both.

Draydis waited for the boys to act. He was poised and ready...

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The touch of a friend's arm did more to cool off Craghley's temper than being plunged into a mountain tarn. All this righteous rage and indignation, no matter what the purpose, would probably only alientate the people he wanted to help unite again. The look on the bard's face as he ran his eyes over the fractured instrument only worked further to dissipate his anger. But not his determination.

'Penth, I can't say how honoured I feel to have you yell at everyone but me,' he laughingly said, 'and you are right. No more blades, no more useless pride, no more stupid, angry decisions. We'll all have to talk about this and get wise, soon, or we'll be kicked out of here. And this land does need help...
'And there must be someone in the town who knows how to fix that,' he said sadly, looking at the mandolin. 'I'll help you search if you wish, but I have to speak to Ulder and Thrandil first of all. I will only be a few minutes.'

Craghley waited for Penth to make his reply. To Thrandil, he only wanted to say effectively what he had said to Draydis. To Ulder, he wanted to apologise on behalf of the Guard for all the damage they had caused, but that only as an aside. Those dwarves looked fresh out of the mountains... perhaps the same mountains those Oneists were supposedly hiding out at. It could be worth seeing if they could help in some way.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The Adhiel had waited silently, watching these dramatic events unfold, the look on his face was one of disbelief. How could discipline be broken like this? Yahren ago? when Taquar was strong? stories about the Emerald Guard and their iron discipline had been a tale told throughout the world and this was all that was left?

Religion intervened were common sense should have ruled. Yes, faith was important, especially to the Emeralds who had always followed the lead of the Mother. No, this was not right. This was... Elvin stepped forward, he had been determined only to watch, but this... It was going too far.

"And this is what folly looks like," he spoke loudly in the Adhiel tongue, his voice cold, "Look what has happened today! The legendary Emerald Guard crumbling! YES, crumbling! You might not see this yet, General Draydis, but your actions have cracked the Emeralds' strongest weapon: unity," his had made a sweeping gesture, "Look at your men! Yes, there is a problem here. Yes, there is wrongness. I have been on the battlefield often enough to know that following orders, trust and unity are most important when fighting. Your failure the discuss your decision with your fellow General has wiped all sense of unity away! And you," he turned to Raevyn, "Your actions are even worse. Thrandil has no authority over you, you say? Clearly you have forgotten what the military, the Emeralds are about. The favour of the Mother? You fought against the gods themselves? I don't care! If you want to compare then here you have it: I fought against a major daemon and survived, I fought against a force of evil that managed to wipe out and defile the entire temple of a god!"

He turned back to Draydis: "I understand your reasoning but you should not have decided without Thrandil. Raevyn's words just now show that she can't function in a unit. You betrayed the trust of your fellow General, of your fellow Guardsmen, even of those others who travelled here with you to complete this task. You talk about the greater goal. Don't you see that you have just struck a greater blow to that goal then anyone else could have done. Is this what remains of the proud Emerald Guard?"

He pointed at Raevyn and Draydis: "The both of you will go to Thrandil and the three of you will talk about this and will set this right or, by the gods, I will flog you like the little children you have just proven to be! In almost a century I have never ever seen anything like this. To do this in public..."

The sorcerer turned sharply, and walked away seething, his mind weaving a powerful shield around him. After all, who knew what these volatile people might do after what he had said?
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Med

Post by Med »

A deep sorrow sang through his being. It was odd to say the least for the usually mirthful bard. He loved life and all it's strange turns. But finally his sense of clarity became a little more clear. None were seeing that all were being driven mad. Even himself by the hauntings. The minstrel may have been very wrong but certainly the land was affecting all in it's encompass.

He watched Draydis about to fight a bunch of vagabonds he probably far out classed. To help another was good but it was bigger and Penth only had the slightest glimmer of what it could be.

His dagger would have been drawn for Draydis but felt him in no serious danger. Penth would give his life for any friend, but the general seemed to have his own mind and not the mind of his company at the time.

He watched distantly replying to Craghley, "I have seen something more than this. I really do not know how to put it in words but the land is calling for a song? I am not quite sure. I do suggest we gather or things will just get worse."

The bard looked a little weary as he continued, "Can you keep an eye on Draydis? I know you would protect him with your life as well. I need to go back and find out more. Once this is resolved I think you should join us."

Penth searched his pockets it was random at best, but he liked to pick up odd things he found in his travels. He handed Craghley a pebble if he would take it.

"Think about this small grain things can be weathered down but you can always still find a part of it."
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Elvin's words might as well have fallen on deaf ears. As far as the assassin was concerned, this ordeal was over and done with. She paid him and his words not a bit of attention as she placed her cherished ring back where it belonged on her finger.

It didn't mean that Raevyn didn't hear him however. She heard him quite clearly to be honest. However the young adhiel didn't care about what it was he said. She had other things to do than fretting or worrying over his threats. A big enough scene had already been made and the assassin was no longer going to play party to it.

Penth's words had a sting to them though. Coming from him though, it hurt just a little, and it saddened her slightly. He of all people should understand her. No one here knew her better than him or Ulder save for Draydis. This caused her to look away from him, and to avoid making eye contact with him. Instead Raevyn would do what she planned on earlier. Finding a place to stay in town away from the others.

Maybe it would be better this way. At least Raevyn seemed to believe that. Before she could though, Raevyn knew that she would have to seek out Ulder and make whatever peace with him that she could.

For now though. Raevyn shut out everyone around her. Not even Draydis' challenge to those kids seemed to hold an interest for her. Solitude looked really appealing for Raevyn now. That way she could be out of sight, and hopefully out of mind for a little while. It would also give her time to think about how to approach Ulder.

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”