The Agenda (Black Bridge) (CHYR 26 NT)

Moderator: Mods

Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"In regards to giving the Caesar a reason to heed you, yes, you will require a reputation. The one you have is a good foundation, but you will need to prove youself able in politics to make Andolin sit up and notice. In this your relative inexperience may be useful. Many may underestimate you - and your allies - based on your age, and what they perceive as a lack of qualification for your post as Ambassador. I am sure you understand well enough the lethality of underestimating an opponent."

After another dainty mouthful Vlast resumed.

"But you will not want to be overly bold. Give the Caesar our assistance with recent troubles. That is a wise move... if done correctly. If you act rashly, independantly, and without word, then the Caesar will fret - especially if you are successful! He may see you as asserting Gulanadur authority within the Citadel, and that could have catastrophic results. But offer him your assistance. Not in a servile manner, either, since that would only worsen the situation. But show him the might of Gulanadur, let him know we are more than worthy of his attention."
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Getting my foot at his doorstep... that is the prime trouble."

He was truly beginning to like the kick and space of the curry, allowing a longer moment to linger at the taste of the mixture while nodding to himself in satisfaction. He took another sip of the water before continuing.

"Has there been any of high clout who are disgruntled at the rise in chaos around town that would send a word in for me? Perhaps someone who was present at the Banner who survived its flames? Considering the investment needed to join the University of Magic, I am certain I can at least find someone who knows someone. If nothing else... perhaps I could research a way for us to keep up with the West while I am there. Though we ended the war, their technology proves troublesome."

He made a slightly sour face at that last statement, recalling the power of cannons.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"We seem to have joined the surface at an opportune time indeed. Airships and blackpowder... instead of waking one day to find them pointed at our doorstep, now we might make their secrets our own - with a dash of ingenuity, of course."

Vlast began to take another mouthful, but the fork stopped halfway for a flicker and descended back to the delicate plate. She wore a thoughtful expression, leaning back in her chair and smiling with her eyes set on Ssinith.

"I think a name has just come forth. A woman by the name of Ashari Gwyien. I believe the Caesar shows some interest in her, the reason for which I presume lies with his... ambitious nature. The thing is," lady Vlast paused to take a sip of tea, "Gwyien is the guildmistress of the Red Rose, still. I'm sure we will see another one rise from the ashes, but that is an aside. The woman lost a friend in the fire last night and I'm sure she will not let the matter rest... perhaps, by influencing Andolin's acquaintances, you may get to the man? And make yourself some powerful allies in the process.
"Hmm, who else..?"

Devir stared contemplatively at the table, one slender wand of a finger poised upright against her lips.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"Sadly, outside of the obvious contacts from the University and Temple of Illuminatus, my ideas run dry on that one. Sosa, perhaps, but she hasn't the power she used to have."

He huffed a slight breath, hitting a hot spot in the spiced jam portion of his curry. S'sinith kept polite, but chuckled slightly to himself. Drinking his water before sipping his tea, he pondered in silence with the Lady Vlast as he figured out the best way to approach the former guild mistress.

"Hmmm... though I stand tall and powerful, I am not that suave. To impress a lady of that high a repute, I would have to be a seductive enigma. I can bring forth majesty to be an Ambassador, but to truly... personify myself..."

With a sigh, he stumbled for the right words. Not being a sexy lush, obviously, but Vlast had that a polished and practiced charm which he severely lacked. His ears sulked slightly, reverting a moment to his old foppish self, but his confidence was still there.

"I am not the bedroom dream of every ladies fancy, though I fully intend to improve with study!"

It was then that his ears sulked after what he just said. His face turned sheepish as he placed his fork beside him and started laughing at himself for his unintentional double phrasing. His hand covered his face as his head lowered, trying not to laugh too loudly.

"Why yes, many ladies curl up to a good book at night! HA!"
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Ssinith's final 'HA!' drew heads. A waiter gave their table a questioning glance, but Vlast dismissed him with a shake of her head. She, too, was chuckling throatily - not some twittering giggle. Lower-pitched and mature.

"That sense of humour could turn many a conversation round in your favour, ambassador. Especially with the certain ladies of repute you shall no doubt encounter while in your post.
"But back to the task at hand. Sosa, you say? No, she wouldn't, what with the reform of the Purple Guard. Perhaps someone of sorcerous talent, close to or simply important enough to be noticed by the Caesar? Many people are curious about us and magicians are certainly no exception. The University of Magic has been here for many years; no doubt it'll be here for many more."

Off in the corner of the room came a burst of unsuppressed laughter, which quickly cut off. Vlast cast a lofty glare at the offending diner, and returned to her salad.

"The nature of court here can be amazingly sordid. Amazing what it can do for one's career, however. There are various ways for you to make the Caesar heed you, and all of them require to you shine like a gem. My best suggestion is to adapt the talents you already have to suit the needs of your position. Now you, Firebrand of Molten. This temple you plan to open, it could be an effective way of connecting with the populace. In the Citadel, Molten's freshness might be seen as a little radical, stir things up a little. I don't want you to throw rocks at a hornet's nest, but the alternative to cosying up with the Caesar's cronies might be to make a small ruckus. Something he can't perceive as a threat, but could get him unsettled, expecially with events of late. And it might be quicker, too.
"Hmm."
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

He paused to put his hand over his mouth from his own outburst as he gave a sheepish and apologetic look around the room with a suppressed grin. He listened, but as there was much louder guffaw in the room than his, his ears perked up with an arched eyebrow and a smirk. Apparently, he wasn't the only one who was having too many chuckles.

He admired Vlast. Not as much as the Queen, but he saw similarities. He felt safe around her. Perhaps she was kept in the castle as the Queen was. He paused a moment to see if there were any similarities in looks between the two to see any family resemblance as she spoke.

"Well, have the Dwarven communities adopted a god here? The Red Warrior, perhaps, but none who are in tune with the Underground so much. The mystique of a new faith may bring interest, that is for certain. Particularly if we are aiding in restoring power to the Caesar's empire, that would start to perk interest."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"I believe there is a modest, but noticeable population of dwarves in the Citadel. Pecunia seems to be their main focus of worship though, but I can readily see a number welcoming Molten into their hearts. You understand the why well enough."

"But why stop with the dwarven populace?" Vlast added over a sip of tea. She didn't make a face but it had cooled somewhat, detracting largely from the pleasure of its' subtle naunces. It was probably the small cups and the wafer-thing porcelain.

"Many people in the Citadel are feeling unrest, at all this... unrest. Embracing Molten may give them the strength and passion to face their troubles, a god of fire and power. Obviously, we don't want riots," she remarked with a smile. "That would be terribly counter-productive. But I'm sure the creed of Molten would have much to give to the populace - much to help. Starting with the common folk who may embrace it strongest may give it a popular wave to ride up on high, as well. That is, if there are not already those who move in higher circles who would gladly convert."

"And before I forget, I am also interested as to what your meeting with the steward revealed."
Last edited by Craghley on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

((It was originally supposed to be with Andolin, but he was out for months and there was a time-synch, so it got fragged. I'll ad lib what was spoken of.))

He got his fork again and started to eat a bit of the curry again, enjoying the spice even more with every bite. Pausing for a moment, he nodded at Vlast's suggestion to reach everyone with Molten. He sighed slightly at the meeting with the steward.

"It was brief, but he was at least not dismissive. The idea of the festival didn't seem to interest him since the Coronation would still be in everyone's mind, which I agree with to a degree. He was at least agreeable about asserting that our troops of the Ascent be treated as equals. Whether or not the Caesar got the inquiry or not remains unclear as he seemed more troubled about the security of the Coronation at the time. It struck me as merely a bad time for a meeting, as I did not feel any disrespect."

S'sinith tapped his finger to the table after one more bite of the curry and began to write, his brain now inspired with new ideas.

"So many ways and opportunities. Ah! Perhaps merge the two ideals into one act, perhaps. Perhaps put in a suggestion for the Ascent to be publicly recognized as a unit addition to the troops of the Empire. From that event, I can preach about Molten and my people and it will take the place of the festival to a degree. The people will feel safer knowing who is protecting them."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Ssinith wrote:"It struck me as merely a bad time for a meeting, as I did not feel any disrespect."

"Well, that is a relief. Maybe he is not so dismissive as I had believed. But for the ruler of this sprawling capital, crucial business has a habit of appearing one after the other, so I doubt he will gain much more time on his hands. It may simply be difficult timing as you say, or a useful guise as well... with any luck, purely the former."

Ssinith wrote:"So many ways and opportunities. Ah! Perhaps merge the two ideals into one act, perhaps. Perhaps put in a suggestion for the Ascent to be publicly recognized as a unit addition to the troops of the Empire. From that event, I can preach about Molten and my people and it will take the place of the festival to a degree. The people will feel safer knowing who is protecting them."

Vlast regarded Ssinith over steepled fingers. Obviousloy she was weighing the proposal quite heavily.

"I wonder how Andolin would take that. What I think, is that it would be a gamble to him. How well can he trust the Ascent? Especially with a character dubious as Cannes Scha'mur as their War Leader. But you mentioned he seemed agreeable about emulating the status of the Ascent. And he may need the expertise at this time, and so better to have the Ascent as declared allies. With the openings you mentioned the move will provide, it may be worth a shot."
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Cannes Scha'mur. He thought he had heard the name before but wasn't too sure. If he was leader of the Ascent and wasn't of fair repute, then perhaps he had to tip toe across a few things. He knew Scha'mur and their tendencies to fight dirty in every fashion.

"Tell me more about Scha'mur. I don't believe he and I met during the war. If we will be dealing with one another on this matter, I must know how to handle him. I know House Scha'mur was dealing with multiple assassinations before I left for the war. Considering the faith of his family, this might prove to have other problems. Not to mention the fact he will likely bid with the Underworld once up here."

He was almost done with the curry, savoring each hot bite.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"Yes, Sha'mur. They deal with poisons and drugs as far as I remember; two things surfacers outwardly shun but have considerable affinity with when in secret. My own knowledge of the man in question is sadly lacking in many respects; nonetheless I, and many others, know enough about him to make me apprehensive to think of the position he currently holds. But better there than closer to home."

Vlast finished her salad with a dainty mouthful; asides from a thin film of the dressing upon the bowl not a scrap was left. The only for it to be cleaner would be for Vlast to lick it off - the surrealness of the image only rivalled by its silliness.

"He's brutal, but brilliant. Effective, but... well, I shall say that he knows he walks a fine line with his superiors. This keeps him in check, but us on our toes; always keeping a wary eye on the man. He does come with a range of problems... maybe it would not be necessary for Scha'mur to attend the Citadel were this action to be taken - mayhap his second in command, Aukon D'tar-Devir, could take his place. But then we will likely insult his majesty. Your thoughts?"

Down to the last few mouthfuls, while Ssinith chewed appreciatively a peppercorn cracked in his mouth, some of the irritating dust being sent down his windpipe where it burned and itched considerably. A powerful urge to cough rose, and rose, and rose...
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Swallow... swallow!

S'sinith swallowed his bite before his eyes watered and he breathed in deep, lowering his head. Putting a closed fist in front of his mouth, he tried to do a small inaudible cough or two as he reached for his water to draw in a nice long gulp.

"Spice!" he tried to croak before he attempted to guzzle down some water.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

A welcome stream of the cool liquid did much to calm Ssinith's burning throat. The small coughs (with a little splutter from the water) kept it further in check, though he still had difficulty forming words for some flickers. Yet he recovered quickly and was able to ignore much of the irritation.
Vlast seemed largely passive about the whole thing and offered him an unreadable smile before dabbing exaggeratedly around her lips with one of the napkins upon the table.

"Perhaps you will need an introduction to the dangers of the ingredients surfacers use in their food. Several more meals at this establishment may be necessary in the future to this purpose... in your own time then," she added getting back to business. "Any thoughts?"
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Taking his napkin and remedying his sputter, he sighed as his ears slightly drooped into his trademark sheepish gaze. He had been practicing looking positively adorable when he made this look, however, gathering the cuteness of a scolded puppy or a rabbit caught with a stolen carrot in its maw.

After a deep breath and a collected sigh, his ears perked back to normal and he was serious again.

"If he works for himself, he will be controllable. So long as everything suits his best interests, we should not have a problem. The problem will come if he has a bigger agenda than just his own advancement. If perhaps we can give him a... lesser evil to play with than the people we are trying to bring to order, then it will tide him. My biggest question in this instance is who are his troops loyal to?"

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Ssinith's look had left its mark; when his gaze returned up in all seriousness to the lady Devir, her smile had widened almost to her ears and her eyes sparkled like the dusting of her skin. A hearty chuckle even ghosted from her throat.

"A good question. Best asked with even the most loyal of armies... as far as I can tell, so long as we are able to control the head, we - or, rather, you - shall have no problem with the armed forces. So long as standard military conduct is enforced as well. Ah, what messy things these armies are.
"But I like this idea of distraction." Vlast was becoming more interested, and leaned over the table with elbows on the top, head supported by her palms, towards Ssinith. "Did you have anything specific in mind..?"
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith was liking his exercise in charm. After he was composed, he noticed that Vlast was really not interested in manners anymore with her elbows on the table, but being the Ambassador, he decided to not quite cross that line just yet. He had heard once that women liked a challenge, so he would not breach protocol so easily.

"Well..." he said, slightly tilting his head away from her.

He may have had a slightly square face, but he knew he could sell his eyes as he lightly closed them in thought for a moment before slowly opening them for Vlast to look at again. His expression was calm and almost innocent as he spoke.

"Since we are looking to the Madame of the Red Rose Guild as an ally, I am certain she would find some way to tend to him. She would desire the poisons of his family for her vendetta, and he would have all the wiles he could handle, I'm sure. She could control him better than I, but I intend to stay her ally. Besides, if she wants to have stronger ties to the Caesar, she would play the leader of one of the Caesar's forces as a political card. If she is the one who is known to keep the reigns on him, then if he falls, the problem becomes hers and we can place our second in command as we please."

Was he playing shy, or was he being inviting as he took his gaze away from her momentarily? He let his hair slightly drift across his cheek as his gaze returned with a soft smile, looking Vlast over for a moment without pausing on any area of her in particular. Enough to give her the hint that he liked what he saw, but he kept the mystery of what to tease her curiosity.

He found that flirting was a strange game of chess. The entire body acted as the moves, and trying to guess an 'opponents' strategy and weaknesses were the spoken word. The check would come when one would start falling for the other with honesty.

The question was... why was Vlast acting so strangely as if she never had been flirted with? Chuckles? Arms on the table? Something was not right when the flirting of a bookworm could capture the heart of a noble of Gulanadur. Then again, considering the flirting style of the nobles, she likely had not seen attempts by many who had hardly flirted in their life and was amused by all of his mistakes.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Vlast had been glad for the little culinary malfunction - it had broken down the formal distance between them both, Ssinith losing his composure for a moment. This was much more comfortable, toying with him, and of course leaving him guessing not just the subject at hand but her own intentions now.
Now she leaned back: straight and proper once more, but something of that recent glimmer still in her eyes. Her smile, too, was wider - more sinister, mayhap - than before.

"That is supposing she does not move too fast. Portals make things so much easier and yes, Sha'mur could arrive within the same day that the move is approved. But one must first create a suitable proposal, pass it to the Caesar, let him scrutinise it for an indefinite length of time and then, if it has been approved, the lady Gwyien must also see him as a preferable resource for her agenda. Though as far as understand, she has little qualm in using people..."
Vlast finished off her tea and set the cup back upon the saucer.
"Despite all this, a fair plan. But I would consider more while your at it. Perhaps - ambitious as he is - it would not be below Sha'mur to ingratiate himself with the Imperial Guard here and advance also in the Caesar's court? Of course, we can't allow him to have real power - a plan to instigate his removal may be necessary should he become overly insubordiante. Yet that is just one more proposal."
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinth paused, leaning back in his chair and taking a deep breath in thought. Military politics was something he was not familiar with, despite being a part of the war. He tapped his fingers at the table, trying to think of ways to boot him from power.

"Perhaps... allow the Caesar to see D'tar-Devir in action more than Scha'mur. If Scha'mur is too ambitious from the start, it may be the Caesar's decision to relieve him of his command. Perhaps put one of the Caesar's spies around his ranks on purpose for this matter. Caesar Andolin is not so much a martial man as Caeasar Anochrim was. Someone with too much ambition with a sword would likely be put to rest by him quickly."

He shook his head, knowing it wasn't the greatest plan in the world. Scha'mur would be watching for that sort of thing like a hawk. Another thought crossed his mind as he straightened himself out from his chair and sipped his tea. His poise was confident as if he had just figured something out.

"Now... what would your own plans be to wed the Caesar, Lady Vlast? I may be making an ally out of a potential rival with this 'fair plan'. Giving her an asset which could backfire on us would be very dangerous."

He looked her in the eyes, trying to examine her train of thought. He partially removed the silk scarf that the Queen had given him from its place tucked under his shirt, fidgeting with the trail of it in his long fingers.

"Or did you have other plans?"

S'sinith was horrible at bluffing, but in this instance he wasn't bluffing that she had raised suspicion with him. It was the confidence level of "I figured you out" which he was trying to over-bolster to see if he would rattle her at all. If she had done her homework, she would know where the scarf came from.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Vlast waved a hand dismissively at Ssinith's last question.

"I needn't remind you which one of us is the ambassador. My own role is strictly advisory here - her Majesty has perhaps thought it prudent that I make your adaption to your new position as smooth as possible, even so my role need only be limited. She would not send someone prone to failure as ambassador."

Although the last words were spoken relatively warmly and sincerely, now Vlast leaned forward on the table once more and stared at Ssinith with steely eyes.

"And nor would she allow one who holds it to make a pattern of failure. I think her majesty very wise in matters of selecting tutors, no matter how keen the pupil. No substitute for experience and all that," she said with another dismissive wave, and straightened her back into a more dignified bearing.

"Ashari Gwyien likely has much already planned. It is good courtesy and diplomacy to provide the nobles of a hospitable court with gifts... I am sure you would like to impress the lady Gwyien in particular with your gift for alchemy, though it is tragically unavoidable that many of our Gulanadur creations of that vein are suited for 'ill intentions'. But then I am equally sure the Lady in question would have no reason to use them at all, and they would remain of great value as a simple collection of... foreign curiousities.
"How was your curry, by the way?"
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Check...

S'sinith looked honestly as Vlast lost her cool for a second. S'sinith merely tilted his head and softened his face before her, noticing that she didn't like her feathers ruffled back. He looked into her eyes sweetly, trying to peer into the cause of her fluster. Was she more than Vlast? Something with what was going on, particularly with her mannerisms. Would a woman who had done Ambassador roles be so throaty and laid back?

Something in his heart stirred.

"If you took that as question to your position, I humbly apologize. That was not my intent." S'sinith replied with honesty. "The plans of my tutor also mean much to me. I must put them into my equations in dealing with people. As you are my tutor, to make you look grand makes me look grand. Though of course, I would never do it simply for that. You are the sister of someone I love."

The way he spoke that last sentence wasn't the prattling of a lovesick puppy. No, it was a reverent tone which was purer than the lust of a seventeen year old boy. His eyes shone like they knew something, hoping that it would make her break a little further to reveal her intention.

"Whatever your plans are, I wish to help you as well. You expressed the interest of a Gulanadur princess being with the Caesar. I have no intention of failing her or anyone else. If that was truly what you wish, then I will go another route to meet him. Of course, the way you spoke, it was hard to tell if it was jest or not. You have that kind of sense of humor."

He left her a way out of the conversation as he sipped his tea, clearing his throat a bit with a smile as to answer her last question.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

A hint of a smile, suppressed but evident in the twist of her lips, bloomed upon lady Devir's features. She regarded him with thinned and sparkling eyes for a couple of flickers; perhaps she was truly amused, perhaps she was covering her previous outburst, if that's what it truly was. Surely even the lady Vlast Devir was not completely infallible to a decent baiting.

"No apology is necessary, Ambassador. Perhaps my words came out a little harsh - you must remember that you are her Majesty's choice for this role. It is good to see that you are adapting to it so well," she finished with a widening smile.

Now she sobered, contemplating Ssinith's last line of enquiry.

"I find, on that subject, I have mixed feelings about the convenience and the dignity of that situation; whether I jest or not is largely irrelevant. It is the duty of royalty to rule; traditionally enacted through marriages of convenience to other great powers be it between houses or kingdoms. You would understand that it would be beneficial to Gulanadur to tie itself closer to the seat of power of the Seven Isles.
My concerns lie not with the fact of a princess marrying a... surfacer, but in the Caesar Andolin's character. A marriage to him would indeed be only a marriage of convenience; I understand the man's appetites cannot be sated by one source alone, or even perhaps one source at a time." Vlast turned her passive eyes to a darkened corner of the room.
"And he is a man of great will. Should a princess of our people be wed to him, I believe she would enter a life of secret indignity and perpetual war with her husband to guard wellbeing of her homeland. But then, the task of royalty has always been a particularly heavy one when undertaken dutifully."

This reverie ended abrubtly when Vlast's piercing gaze locked back onto Ssinith, and a modicum of her former mirth reappeared.

"Perhaps we truly should find yourself someone of agreeable company, Ambassador. You said as much just recently, and I am constantly reminded of the virtue of your honesty. You are a man of fine assets, lord D`Illil."
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

She didn't wish to, but her duty was calling her to do so. He lowered his eyes for a moment in a glance of honest humility, but nodded in thanks to preserve his confidence. Breathing deeply, he assessed the situation as he sipped his tea. After a few flickers, he spoke with a hint of worry in his voice.

"My main concern is that you would have potentially six other rival wives who would be more than happy to kill one another to get an edge. That alone would start a war, particularly with one from each of the Isles. The last thing we need is one of them pinning an assassination on the said princess. As much as the royal ties would be a benefit, and as much as I know you could likely handle it, we can not charge in too fast. It would be safer to wed someone who is high on the council that the Caesar listens to if a princess would marry someone from the surface."

He paused for a moment, looking down in a self examination. Should he really look for someone for himself when he cared for the Queen? Then again, she was very young even by human standards. If he had more experience with women, he could be beside her... by then, however, she could be married off to someone else.

"As for myself; I must truly know since you are close to her. I am no noble, but I want to be there for her. In whatever station that means to her, I will take up. I..."

He almost took what he was about to admit to a slight shame, knowing that at this point in his life he was not ready to become a king. Still, he knew that he had time to grow into that and was not completely void of confidence that he could do it. His Ambassador role dropped completely as he fidgeted slightly with the scarf the Queen gave him.

"She deserves a king. That is the only reason I bring this up. I do not actively seek such a high position because I know I am not ready... but... I want to be there for her. As you said, the task of royalty is heavy. Even if it would be weight on my shoulders, it must take its toll on her. I will be there for her in any role she needs me to be, but..."

His fist slightly clenched around the scarf. This was a lot of trust that he was putting into Vlast, and he was forcing a lot of his power to make this a known fact. He had to know what he was fighting for and if he was being a foolish dreamer. Otherwise, he would not be able to focus on the task at hand.

"I... want to be a good husband."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"My main concern is that you would have potentially six other rival wives who would be more than happy to kill one another to get an edge. That alone would start a war, particularly with one from each of the Isles. The last thing we need is one of them pinning an assassination on the said princess. As much as the royal ties would be a benefit, and as much as I know you could likely handle it, we can not charge in too fast. It would be safer to wed someone who is high on the council that the Caesar listens to if a princess would marry someone from the surface."

"Correct. The question is, would her family accept a silver medal? Sometimes we have to take risks for such a goal. No, always there is a risk. It is our good fortune that we know the game well enough.
"Besides," she finished smiling once more, "A boor and a lout he may be, but the Caesar does possess an air that is worthy of his office. There are probably worse men a princess could marry, that hold Andolin's ear."

Vlast was silent until Ssinith had spoken all of his piece after that.
Something of Ssinith's words had stilled Vlast more than any time before at this table - yet not in stiffness, though her posture was typically right and proper. The woman took a little time to tackle this new bout of openness, but when she did, had warmed to him even more. The words came out softly upon the air.

"I see now... perhaps why she has such faith in you."

"I will say this, then we shall resume talk, his Excellence the Ambassador with the lady Vlast Devir.
"Even if you find yourself far from Gulanadur under her direction, she has but drawn you closer to herself. Even our great houses had to begin somewhere, and who can say where this duty will lead you at a time like now, and a promise as such that is yours?"
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith paused and thought deeply, searching his own heart for a moment as he gently curled the scarf between his fingers. He knew that by the time he because strong enough to be the king she needed, someone else could take the throne.

"I will become what she needs, however she needs me. I am aware that a better king than I may come along. Should that happen, I will serve them both and happily thus. I will not let the country she so loves go to waste for my personal wishes. Though under any circumstance, I will promise this."

He reached... he reached far into the core of his spirit. His eyes raised to Vlast in confidence, stern but serene at the same time. The Firebrand, the Ambassador, the Priest, the Wizard; everything was in his eyes as the hand which held the scarf gently touched the brand over his chest.

"I will become a king."

S'sinith needed no title to be a powerful man of character. To rule over his actions and take the good with the bad; the soul of a king regardless of the situation would be his goal. There was no more taking disrespect from anyone. Even if he was met with a superior, he would not shirk or back down.

Oh gods, the hellfire this boy would bring to any known enemies to his Queen. Surely if he heard of anything across the lands that something were to happen to her, he would storm back to his homeland and kill them with his own hands. There was fire in his voice and eyes which was focused to the words he spoke.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"Very good. You will need that ambition... and that loyalty to guide it."

What Vlast truly thought of the Ambassador's fiery pledge was not revealed by her passive eyes. She raised a hand and brushed an alabaster lock away from where it had fallen across her face, and her eyes looked him up and down.

"Though remember to hold a certain degree of restraint, as well. That passion may serve you well for your sermons, but generally does little to impress the aristocracy. If you wish them to take you completely seriously, they may intepret your zeal as a symptom of your youth, rather than your determination."

"So tell me, your Excellence, what exactly do you feel compelled to do as the next step?"

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”