Ursa: Blowing Off Steam (Chyril 25th, early TT)

Moderator: Mods

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

Advancing carefully on the bow, crouched and ready for the attack, Xenovia noticed more movement along the dark recesses of the dome. There were other passageways that were now in sight, two opposite the one she had entered from. In these corners of darkness that seemed to stretch off further into the depths, more movement was visible, aswell as near the top of the dome where the fire's light couldn't reach.

Cryers...

Whispers sought her mind and her ear, a cold shiver seeking a way down her spine as the words reached her soul.

Intruder!

Mortal halfbreed in our dome

The drakelings let her in, the drakelings let her in.

The key, the key!

More whispers were lost as the voices were added to in volume and number. Even the corridor behind her felt cold as darkness seemed to search for a way into the lit dome.

The glow on the bow seemed to intensify as she approached it.

As she neared it, more detail became apparent. The bow was apparently rested in a beam of light that seemed to fracture in the dark crystal at the base of the altar and split into several bright beams, which were in turn reflected by other crystals in the altar to converge upon the bow.
The bow itself was unlike anything she had ever seen. It seemed to be made of some kind of dark gray wood, with white lines running amidst the layers of timber in curling grooves along the length of the weapon. The grip was crafted of a black crystaline material, as were the ends where the bowstring was attached, which itself seemed to be a single length of dark tendon.

No matter the age of the weapon, it seemed in perfect shape and ready to be fired, even though it was dusted over, as was the altar beneath it.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's eyes widened almost in abject terror as she realized that the movement had indeed been a Cryer. But how?! She'd been in darkness before she'd found her way through the thin wall, and yet she had not been attacked. Their voices assaulted her body and soul, involuntary shivers darting down her curved spine. Her teeth clenched apprehensively.

Halfbreed?! Had she hackles, they would have risen. At least I don't have to hide simpering in the shadows. But she said nothing to them, though she wondered what they meant by "the key" and "drakelings." Clearly they had said this was their dome, but surely not...Cryers hated the light, why would they have bothered with fire? And where are they all coming from? Her gaze flicked quickly to the other, previously unseen passages. It was as if they all knew at once that she was there.

They couldn't reach her for now, but the apprehension tingling beneath Xenovia's white skin left her feeling nervous nonetheless.

When she reached the altar, Xenovia carefully laid her spear down and turned most of her attention to the bow -- though she remained wary of the Cryers -- and tried to figure out how it was floating in nothingness. Her hand moved slowly around it and beneath it, searching for thin strings or anything that could explain the phenomenon. But Xen's golden eyes were soon distracted by the workmanship of the bow, done all in blacks and whites and shades of grey. Just like me, she thought with a wry inward smile.

I see the bow, but where are the arrows? Even through her awe Xenovia managed to be practical, her left hand finally reaching out toward the bow. Her long fingertips slipped gingerly around the black crystalline grip, and she sought to take it from its suspended perch.
[size=84][i]"When the sun is gone I see you:
beautiful and haunting, but cold;
like the blade of a knife so sharp, so sweet --
nobody knows your heart." - Princess Mononoke[/i][/size]
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

As soon as Xenovia's fingers wrapped themselves around the grip of the bow, she felt a tingling sensation rush from her fingertips along her arm to her head. The grip felt cold to the touch but other than that it seemed to be a very sturdy and solid weapon, crafted for battle.

Suddenly...as Xenovia took the bow from it's perch...a bright flash of light washed over her and the entire dome was lit up for a flicker.

Cries of terror.

A meadow.

A house.

Smoke curling up from the chimney of the house, a man and a woman sitting on a bench in front of it. Children playing in the grass in front of them, young children, maybe eight or nine yahren old.

The woman noticed Xenovia, who held the bow in her hand, and beckoned her over from a distance.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's fingers met and embraced the grip of the bow, her eyes widening slightly at its coldness as her palm came to squeeze it securely in her hand. Then, removing it from its perch, a bright flash of light caused her to squeeze her eyes tightly shut. Cries of terror echoed in her ears, then --

A meadow. A house. Xenovia saw these things when her eyes opened again. There was smoke coming from the chimney, and a man and woman sat in front of the house. There were children playing.

Xenovia started. Not only was she in an entirely different location all of a sudden, but this was just like the scene she had seen painted on the wall just burns ago. She looked, puzzled, at the bow in her hand. Was it a dream? Was she somewhere else? Confusion was etched plainly in her features.

She was being beckoned. Her chin lifted slightly as her eyes fell on the woman, who was beckoning to her as if she knew her. A slight, birdlike tilt of her head was followed by one step, then another, as Xenovia advanced warily toward the woman. She'd been in a room with cracks filled with fire only seconds ago. If this was an illusion, a trick of the Cryers, she could fall right into one of these cracks. So Xenovia might have looked a bit silly, testing each step on the seemingly solid ground of the meadow before she put her full weight on it.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The ground seemed solid, grass waved in the wind beneath her feet, brushing up at her ankles in a gentle waving motion. Birds chirped in the canopy and the children were playing with a ball of some sort, tossing it at each other, catching and moving it to the next in a rapid circular pattern, all the while running around.

The man got up and went into the house as Xenovia approached. The woman remained on the bench and smiled as the young Kanthrop walked up to her looking ready and wary.

"There is nothing to fear here. The Cryers can not get you in this place young Xenovia." The children stopped playing at the mention of the name, looking at the young kanthrop standing face to face with the woman on the bench. The woman appeared rather young, maybe thirty yahren old, black hair which bordered on blue fell in long locks over her shoulders, pale skin offsetting the darkness of her hair. Her eyes were serpentine, golden orbs with narrow slits for pupils.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia was as wary as a hunted fawn, her eyes shifting rapidly, never settling for long. Every few flickers she looked back to the woman, her eyes narrowing slightly when the man turned and went into their house. Where is he going? Had he gone to fetch a weapon? Xenovia was not yet convinced she was among friends.

The fact that the woman knew her name only made her more wary, and her discomfort grew when the children suddenly stopped their strange game and turned to look at her. Her weight shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other, and the bird warper found herself wishing she had her spear as well. Had the word witchcraft been a part of her vocabulary, it would have no doubt sprung to mind.

The fact that the woman's eyes were that of an animal did not calm her at all. Slitted pupils were supposed to belong to felines, but Xenovia had seen enough feline eyes to recognize that these were eyes of a different kind. Again her weight shifted. Xenovia was a creature of habit, and nothing in this setting offered familiarity to her.

"Who are you?" she asked in a voice that was neither demanding nor passive. "Where am I?"
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The children commenced their game again when Xenovia spoke. The woman smiled as she looked the young kanthrop up and down. A flicker or so later she nodded in what might come across as appreciation.

"You are right to be wary. It is after all part of who you are. Instilled with the distinct nature to be mindful of strangers, the spirit of the wild in your blood, clinging to your soul for dear life. Yours is an active part of you I see, and now you hold that." With those words she nodded at the bow in Xen's hands.

"You find yourself in a predicament now, do you not?" Her words, her voice did not seem to match her yahren. She looked young but the tone she carried did not match her physique. A resounding whisper lingered with every breath she took, as if spoken within the confines of a large chamber. Though only she, not Xenovia, seemed affected. "You walked into the prison of my shadows and took the key that bound them. Wondering what I am, who I am, means you were not ready to walk this path. I will answer your questions if you will answer mine; who told you where the entrance to the domes was and ordered the release of shadow upon my home?"

Her voice had grown stern, yet she did not seem threatening in her composure.

"My home you ask?" Guessing at the thoughts running through Xenovia's mind, perhaps knowing them? "Yes. This is my home, my house, my refuge. Do you not recognise the land you walk on now? Do you not see the walls erected in the distance and feel the familiar touch of the sun on your skin? This is my island and you are kanthrop."

"My children brought you here."

"I am your mother."

The children played their game of footy. Their skin a shade of distinct gray, eyes the same as their mother. There were three of them...
Last edited by Brytan on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's eyes narrowed slightly at the woman's words. She knew of the Kanthrop, that much was obvious. She knew a lot. Yet her eyes were different. I don't understand.

Her gaze dropped to the bow when the woman spoke of it, and again Xenovia inspected it curiously, ever-mindful of the woman and her movements. Yet soon her full attention returned to the woman. Xenovia's features were clearly confused. -Her- home? Yet almost before the thought was complete she had responded, and Xenovia found herself unsettled. Does she know my thoughts?

This way and that she turned, narrowing her eyes slightly and inspecting the land around them once more. It did seem somehow familiar...

"This is my island and you are kanthrop. My children brought you here. I am your mother."

Aghast, Xenovia stared uncomprehendingly at the woman. No, her mother had been a bird warper. This woman couldn't be her mother. Bewilderment clouded her mind and prevented her from making the connection. Instead she just shook her head, fumbling for words. Remembering the woman's earlier questions, Xenovia passed a hand over her eyes.

"The release of shadow? You mean the Cryers? But they have been attacking us ever since the island fell from the sky..." Anger began to twinge at her. She was confused and unsure of herself. This woman made her feel foolish and as if she were naught but a kit again. Why? "I met a hooded figure. It said I wasn't the one it was expecting, that only the strong could walk the path. Then it turned and went into the cave, and I followed -- I am strong." It was almost as if she were insisting it, trying to prove herself or make an excuse. "I broke through the false wall and chose the lower of the two paths in the cavern with the pictures on the walls. I lit the fire and the Cryers came. They said something about 'the Drakeling,' and a key. I took the bow to defend myself. That's...that's it."

I don't understand any of this. Her hand tightened its grip on the bow and she thought hard. The woman had said she was Xenovia's mother..but perhaps she meant the mother of the Kanthrop? Of all of them? That would mean.....but surely this couldn't be a goddess? She looked so...plain. Xenovia wasn't sure what she had been expecting, but surely more than this. The bird warper kept staring at the woman's eyes. She couldn't identify them at all. They were..reptilian. The eyes of a snake. Snake, or...drake, she thought, remembering what the Cryers had said. But --

"No, this is impossible." Her head shook itself, locks of wild black hair lashing against her cheeks. But what if it was true? Maybe she could give her answers... "Do you know why the Cryers are attacking us? Where did they come from? What are they? How can we stop them? Why did the island fall from the sky? Why are you letting this happen??"

Suddenly she was like a child, upset with her mother, venting all her pent-up anger on the woman. "The Cryers attack us every night and we fight desperately at the prison walls we built with our own hands. We fight, and we die! Now outsiders have invaded our home and destroyed our hope for secrecy. Soon they will discover our true secrets! If the Cryers don't kill us, they will!! We fight and we pray and we struggle and we lose ground bit by bit." Her voice had risen considerably in her anger, her free hand clenching into a fist as her muscles tensed beneath her white skin. "Why?" she demanded. "Why!?"
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

~:Meanwhile:~

Her brows furrowed as she knelt by the brook, her hand framing a footprint left in the soft earth of the stream's bank. By sheer chance had she noticed it, the pattern catching her eye as she she herself wandered the bank. She studied the impression thoughtfully for a moment, trying to read the footprint's tale. Someone had perhaps quenched their thirst in these waters, a solitary walker who had not stayed long for they made few tracks in the wet soil. Surely it was a Kanthrop, she decided - for the newcomers shod their feet in heavy boots of leather and these tracks were made barefoot. She sighed for other than that, she could tell nothing.

She cursed her inexperience, rocked back on her haunches and chewed thoughtfully on the jerky she had finished smoking only this morning. Scarlet took her time, tracing the footfalls one at a time till she resolved a final direction. The walker had gone northeast, following the path of the stream towards the Skymyst mountains.

Happy she had solved the puzzle, Scarlet turned to walk home when a quiet unease in her mind was made horribly certain. This is not just any stream. It's source lay deep in the rock of the mountains and by that rock there had been a path, a path forbidden. As a kit she had been taught the whole ravine was never to be travelled and now someone had made straight for it.

"An outsider." She spoke to the wind, turning back to face the mountains.

Unlikely as it seemed, few Kanthrop would walk this path. One of their number from the skiff must have gotten isolated after the battle with the Cryers, left the wood and now wandered to desecrate another of their sacred grounds. Scarlet spat one gristly mouthful of meat to the floor and trudged uphill, hopefully to intercept the poor bastard before they dashed their brains against the rocks.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Fell from the sky?"

The woman's patient expression changed to one of confusion for the briefest flicker. It was obvious she had not expected this, though she composed herself quite rapidly as Xenovia's waterfall of questions and frustration washed over her.

"You ask me why." She started when Xenovia had finished. "But I can not tell you that. This island was a refuge for me and my family until my death. Afterwards it became yours. It was supposed to remain so for eternity but obviously something is wrong."

The woman got up. She was about Xenovia's height. "There is not much time. You hold the Bane, which means the seal on the Dome is gone. But if what you say is true then the...Cryers...have found another way to the surface." A frown appeared on the woman's face along with a solemn look. "Only one thing can be done. The other two seals have to be retrieved and brought to the source. Wait here..."

Quickly the woman walked into the house, returning a burn or two later with a scroll in her hand. "This scroll has what you need to find the other seals. Only one can hold one. They are powerful artifacts that uphold the balance of the dream. You must go now, return to the island and keep the Bane safe. If it falls into the wrong hands the results could be devastating."

A rumble tore through the ground, buckling Xenovia on her feet. The sun seemed to vanish in waves of darkness and in one final blast the images before her were gone. She stood back in the cave where she had been before, grasping the bow like she had done.

Beneath her feet, the light of the flames started to dim.

---

Scarlet followed the path up and found herself following the brook along it's track to the upper regions of the Skymyst. After several burns of walking, perhaps a quarter mark, she made a turn that seemed to be a dead end. The brook clattered down from the rock face to her right. Steep trenches barred the way to the left. The path seemed to end in a wall, with a narrow crevice along it, barely worthy of the name cave.

The tracks she had been following were hard to trace on the solid rock, but the dust at the entrance to the cave seemed to indicate someone had entered it not too long ago...
Last edited by Brytan on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia scowled in frustration as her "mother" gave her no true answers. Yet there was one thing that puzzled her: she had said "until my death." How could Xenovia be speaking to this woman if she was dead?

She stepped back warily when the woman stood, her muscles reflexively preparing for an attack. There was no battle, however, and Xenovia glanced at the bow in her hand. The "Bane," she had called it. It did seem a spectacular weapon. Xenovia said nothing as the woman went into the house, her gaze simply moving to the children and watching them play.

The passing of the scroll was met with mild bewilderment. She didn't understand. The balance of the dream? The focus? Seals? What was she talking about?

"But I --" Suddenly the ground rumbled and Xenovia stumbled on her feet, crouching to catch her balance. When she looked back up, she was back in the cave, finishing her sentence despite the fact that the woman was gone. "-- can't shoot a bow." Damn. If only it had been a spear.

Thoughtfully Xenovia looked down at the bow in her hands, plucking idly at the string. She didn't even have any arrows.

It was then that she realized the light was beginning to dim. Terror struck her heart as she realized the danger she was in. The Cryers! She had to get out, fast. But, carrying that bow, Xenovia could only use one hand. Her spear was useless. Her golden eyes searched quickly for another weapon and, finding none, she quickly ran to the torch she had dropped on the floor. Holding it high, Xenovia darted back into the passage, praying that the lit torches would hold the Cryers back enough for her to reach that higher path. There had been warm air there; there had to be an opening she could escape through.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet grumbled obscenities to herself as her eyes drifted over the solid wall that seemed to mark the end of her trail. Tracking over solid rock was a skill well beyond her, and as far as she knew, the disturbance she saw in the dust could have been made by nothing more than the wind. Still, this was the path the tracks had taken, and unless her prey had become one with the rock, on this path it remained.

She leant against the wall as she tried to make sense of the disturbed trail. Curious, she cocked her head to one side and traced the path with the tip of her javelin. She could not yet commune with her inner beast but she could sense its excitement at this hunt. Excitement or something else... trepidation? She lay low to the ground, where the air was less disturbed by the winds that whipped about the mountainside and pressed her ear to the stone. Any sound of footfall, any scent of her prey...

Into the cave

Scarlet looked deep into the shadows of the crevasse and her golden eyes narrowed. This was not some lost outsider - someone had entered this place with a purpose. It could not be coincidence that his trail ended at a cave, nor that it was forbidden to travel here. Certainly it made little sense for someone to venture here by chance. There had to be a hundred places on the trail where one could take cover and rest, why come here? She eased her long knives in their sheaths and cautiously eased herself into the crevasse.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

As Scarlet made her way into the cave, a rumble passed through the rock, clattering some small pebbles and grit on her head. The cave narrowed swiftly, making her crouch while feeling her way into the cave. At the end, after making a turn there was some light visible and a narrow opening presented itself not too long after. It appeared as if part of the wall had been broken down to allow passage to someone into a somewhat larger corridor.

The corridor itself was lit with torches that flickered in a cold wind that seemed to originate deeper down the corridor. One end of the path led down deeper into the mountain, the other end went up. Whispers reached her ears as soon as she stepped into the corridor and a chill crept up her spine. The voices of darkness, the familiar anxiety paired with a Cryer attack made her way into her ears.

----

Xenovia darted for the corridor she had came from. With a torch in her hand and the bow in the other she ran towards the opening in the large dome wall as the light beneath her feet began to dim. A cold wind blew through the dome, coming from high above, the tongues of air licking at the torch. Voices of Cryers invaded her mind as darkness started to wash over the large structure. In the corners of her eyes she could see movement along the walls, lower and lower as the force of the light faded.

Into the corridor the torches there still burned. There was more light here but her senses told her that something was moving up ahead aswell. behind her the light faded to nothing as the last of the resin burned up, in front of her she heard something wry around in the twilight of the torches.

---

Footsteps.

Running.

Cryers.

You will not escape!

Die invader!

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia shivered with a mixture of cold and fear as the chill wind licked at the flame of her torch. She was grateful to find that the torches in the corridor still burned brightly, though there was no telling how long that would keep her safe.

I'm going to die.

The unwelcome thought rushed into her mind as she sensed something moving around further down the path. Her feet hesitated momentarily as she skidded to a stop well within the safety of the light the torches cast. For a few tense flickers she hopped from foot to foot, her heart pounding in her chest. What was there? More danger?

I'm not going to die. I have to find the other seals. I have to protect the Bane.

But if she was supposed to do such a thing, how could she if she was dead? Surely the mother -- goddess, creator, or otherwise -- wasn't going to just let her die after receiving such an important task? Glancing down, Xenovia took the scroll and tucked it safely into her famirl, then looked back up to the higher path. She couldn't warp fast enough to fly, she would have to run, and either avoid or kill whatever was in front of her in the process.

"You'd better protect me!" she shouted to all three of her mothers in spite of the Cryers, before she crouched down slightly and ran forward. At the same time, Xenovia whispered to her Inner Animal, beseeching her to come forward and lend her heightened senses. She had to be fast. She had to live through this.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Ripping the torches from the walls, Scarlet held one in each hand and tried to take comfort in the small pool of light in which she dwelt. Up, down or out through the collapsing cave... Her heart was pounding as fear quickened her thoughts. Cryers. It was always Cryers, Ursa damn whatever baleful vestiges they called souls. She closed golden eyes and willed her hands to cease their trembling, she had faced Cryers... and by the grace of the mother alone escaped with her life. At least eyes closed she was not prey to her own fears that made shadows dance in the corners of her eyes. She was safe in the light - for as long as it lasted

Had this been a deception from the start? A ruse to lure her into their lair? It was certainly an extravagance to kill one Kanthrop and one scarce more than a Kit at that. She stilled her soul, striving for the calmness of spirit that quietened doubts and allowed clear thought. The cave trembled still, the whole place could be coming down and this was no place to be.
Move.

"You'd better protect me!"

Her eyes opened in a flash as she turned to face the lower path. No shadow's voice was that. Down the hall, more torches flickered but those dark voices cutting at her mind - causing her inner beast to writhe - promised no safety. Her heart cried in desperation. She strained to hear her beast's thoughts, interpret its instincts. For the second time she prayed its voice would awake and lead her true. Whatever way you looked at it, this was a trap and it was about to close.

Help help help, for fucks sake help

The wind brushed past her, teasing the torches she held. Her heart skipped a beat as realisation dawned and she twisted to look up the corridor. Wind had to go somewhere, if the torches up the corridor danced also then there would have to be be an exit, one large enough to accommodate the body of air that now stirred in the corridor. If those flames were still, it would be a mad scramble back to the path, leaving the frail light of the torches to guard their backs.

She slipped her sandals from her feet, speed would be her saviour here.

"Come on!" She roared, her voice burning through the darkness
Last edited by Scarlet on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The cold wind blew upward, past Scarlet, pointing her a way out. Torchlight flickered, the wind intensifying as the cry from below came, wafting through the corridor. The images on the walls flickered and burned out as the torches started to douse.

The Bane is gone...

No firelight can stop us now...

Take them, take them all!

Xenovia rushed up along the path, the wind blowing out her torch and the torches on the walls around her. Up ahead there was still light, a figure standing in the chaos of her rush. It screamed something, but the wind made it impossible to distinguish what it was.

Scarlet?

The two kanthrop, their senses wide open and alert recognised each other a flicker before they collided. Giving them both the opportunity to act as light went out all around them. Xenovia's grasp still tightly on the bow, Scarlets torches now going out.

Take them all!

Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Xen...

"This way!" she screamed as she fell into Xen's step. Questions could wait, all that mattered now was flight. Scarlet spun on her heels and fled up the passage, trusting into the winds themselves to guide her. With the mother's grace they would lead her true. This was no simple footrace, this was pure flight itself and she felt her inner beast urging her onwards - its preternatural senses finding passage even as the flame from her torches died.

Her mind was still, focusing all she had simply on moving her feet as fast as bone and muscle could endure. Years ranging the wilderness, chasing down her prey had left Scarlet with no shortage of stamina - but who could say how swiftly shadow moved in the darkness. All she could do was pray that her lead would take her into the light of the sun before vaporous claws dragged her into the next world.

And that the light of the sun would stall them.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia would have felt relief, or perhaps shock at seeing Scarlet, had she the time for such petty things as emotions. At the moment, however, the desire to live was the only thing she felt, the main force driving her long legs forward. Muscles stretched and contracted, her bare feet pounding along the rock as she fled from certain death.

The figure before her remained a mystery, and she prepared to shove it out of her way -- yet Xenovia recognized Scarlet at the last possible flicker and, like wolves falling into a pack, their movements shifted to accommodate the other. The older Kanthrop said nothing to the younger, and no words were necessary, with Cryers pursuing them through the darkness.

The shrieks of the Cryers fell on ears which could hear only the rush of wind and the sound of blood being urged through her veins by the eager thudding of her terrified heart. Xenovia's eyes focused upward, her arms pumping to push her body forward as she ran. We have to live, Xenovia thought, for the first time including her Inner Animal in her thoughts of herself. Her heart pounded in her chest, her breath filling and leaving her lungs rapidly, wild hair flying behind her. We have to live.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Fire doused all around them, leaving them in shrouds of black. The promise of death filled the air as the voices of the Cryers turned into a general feeling of...joy. There was a faint glimmer of light to be seen in the distance, somewhere up along the path, cracks in the ceiling and at the end of the hallway showed a promise of sunlight.

And then the wave struck. Cryers rushed along the sprinting Kanthrop and closed the gap between them and the sunlight. Claws and eyes appeared in front, watching them as they forced the two to face the barrier of death. Swirls of tendrils and talons appeared around them, lunging at the two who had run so far.

The Bane

A voice echo'ed in Xenovia's mind. Not Cryer, something else.

Save yourself, find flight...

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIII!

The words were drowned out by a massive shriek seemingly coming from all around them. The familiar whispers of the Cryers breaching their minds.

You are ours little ones...

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia ran with all the strength that was in her, urging her legs to carry her forward at a speed which she had never before attained. Fire filled her lungs, her golden eyes seeing nothing else but that promise of light up ahead.

But it was all for nothing.

She all but cried out in despair as a wave of Cryers blocked the way between the two Kanthrop and the way out. Yet even as a mixture of terror and fury filled her, a voice echoed in her mind.

Save yourself, find flight...

Confusion joined the ranks of emotions stirring within her chest and filling her thoughts. How? There was no way she could warp fast enough to fly out of there. She had only warped twice, and one had been unconscious. In her confusion, she forgot entirely to also consider Scarlet, who had not even had her Awakening yet.

Voices in her head. There were always voices in her head. Cryers, Inner Animals, mysterious and unknown beings. She was so tired of it. But almost without thinking, she tried to obey. She tried to will her arms to become wings, her skin to become feathers, her mouth to become a beak. It was all she could do -- there was no way to fight this many Cryers. She had to get the Bane and that scroll out of the cave, or the Kanthrop would be destroyed. Xenovia was sure of it. But surely they would tear her to shreds before she was done...?

Either way, she would die. She had to try.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

"You think a bird will find passage in these shadows?" Came her calm and cold voice.

Scarlet could sense it, Xen beginning her warp. The concentration, the very growth of the feathers on Xen's skin and could scarce believe it. Xen and she had not been friends, but not a week previously they had fought death itself together whilst the friends of their childhood had made the forest floor slick with their blood. It was To take flight and leave a companion to die...

"If we cannot cut our way to the safety of the sun we will perish here Xen. This hovel will be the end of us." She turned to look up into her friend's eyes, unable to discern the intent within. Then, with calm deliberation, slapped her across the face.

"Listen to me, listen to your own heart!" Scarlet had passed fear, it had leant what strength it could to her and now she trod the calm pools of terror beyond. If her friend tried to warp here she would be pierced by the Cryers and they would both die, sure as day follows night. Shit, they were dead anyway but no beast went down without a fight. Like a cornered Vixen she would bite and claw well past the point where the drain of her own life's blood had exhausted her.

"Take your bow and fight."

Scarlet shoved her bow-case into Xen's chest, the arrows standing proud in their wicker sheath.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

As the two stood among the swirling dark, the Cryers seemed to sense their fear. Feelings of despair seemingly emanating from the vortex of shadow that was now swallowing what little light seemed to penetrate the darkness of the corridor through the opening at the end. Instead of an imminent attack, the Cryers flowed around the two for a few burns, relishing the fact that the two in their midst had but flickers to live at their leasure.

You are ours...

Soon you will join us...

Nothing can...

Then Scarlet chucked her quiver to Xenovia and the self enforcing words of the Cryers seemed to come to an abrupt halt.

GET THEM! GET THEM NOW!

From among the swirling dark fangs and claws appeared. Eyes and teeth to match, tendrils shooting for the two young kanthrop. Scarlet felt her Inner Animal claw it's way up, survival instinct forcing it to the surface, clouding her judgement and her senses, urging her to fight for her life, cornered as they were. Xenovia felt similar urges, though her first impressions were those of fear. A bird, cornered in a dark narrow space. But she was kanthrop, they were kanthrop. They had been taught to fight, fight for their lives. Fight until they could no more.

In the darkness, out of sight of the two women, a robed figure watched.
Last edited by Brytan on Sun May 18, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

In those moments of mocking from the Cryers, Xenovia had tried to obey that voice within her, without knowing why. Yet this time she was stopped; this time she was not alone. Scarlet's words came through to her almost in a haze, but once she had digested their meaning she couldn't help but feel a flicker of shame. She was Kanthrop. She was raised on the ideals of teamwork and family. Kanthrop did not leave their kin behind, yet she had tried.

When their eyes met, Scarlet saw only a slight glaze over Xenovia's, as if she wasn't fully herself. There was no emotion, though perhaps if she'd had the time to look deeper, something might have been found. Shock, however, did register on Xenovia's features, as Scarlet's hand drew back and slapped her across the face, quite soundly. Her lips began to curl back as if she intended to bare her teeth, but Xenovia stopped again when Scarlet spoke to her. It was almost as if she could barely process her kin's words through the haze of fear, desperation, and confusion. Imminent death could be a bit baffling.

As the quiver was shoved into her chest, Xenovia put her arm around it almost without realizing it. Her mind was still trying to catch up to her instincts. What is happening? How did all of this...?

It was the fear that woke her. The Cryers seemed suddenly urgent, pressured, as if there were danger. It didn't take much thought to connect the quiver to their sudden rush. And like a waterfall it all came back to her: she was Kanthrop. She was a bird, and a woman, and most of all a fighter. She would fight until the last drop of blood had spilled from her veins.

Her arm swung through the strap of the case, the motion continued, momentum throwing the quiver of arrows behind her back. She had seen bows fired a thousand times in her lifetime, for the practice field was not an unpopular place. The idea of being able to strike suddenly from a distance had always appealed to Xenovia. Now she had the chance to try it. The Bane passed to her left hand as she seized an arrow from the case with her right and pulled it from behind her back, knocking it as best she could. Pulling back until it felt right, Xenovia released the arrow into the thickest midst of the Cryers, not even waiting for a reaction before she was knocking the next arrow and aiming once more.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Had she seen the arrow drawn, perhaps a smile would have graced her lips. It was strange how even at the point of death, the strangest thing could occupy the mind... Scarlet's mind, so calm moments ago, so clear in the darkness and the chaos of the corridor, was now a storm.

Flickers, less than that to act. Within, her beast raged and clawed to the surface. It's visceral cry bowing to no voice of fear, no shadow's mockery. This one had fought the same before, fought and lived. The voices had confronted her, done so and met their end at the flame of her bow. She had fought without thinking, her beast guiding her as she danced amongst her pack. She felt it's cry, from the depths of her soul; that very essence of what she was saw death now before her and would meet it snarling. No sacrifice, this beast made flesh.

Instinct died hard. As the first claws materialised from the darkest heart of shadow, her daggers flew from their sheaths and her feet spun upon the dusty stone as she danced to the shadow's song. She felt more than saw Xen's bow, that harp's chord that had spelt death for countless souls over countless ages since the first hunter had put stave and flight together, now sung beneath the mountain. Scarlet only prayed it would count the same for the Cryers. Without thought or reason she moved to her kin's back, spinning to cut at any form that dared strike. Steel made a poor tool against the otherworldly form of the Cryer, but to slash at flesh they must become as flesh. At that last second, once committed to the strike they could be parried at least. Perhaps she would finally see if darkness could be made to bleed.

In the cold light of a dark pathway, beset on each side by the very scourge of her people, golden eyes shone, steel flashed, and a roar of defiance and pain and rage itself sounded.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The Bane is a key, but no key works without a lock to match...

As Xenovia drew the first arrow, the Cryers swarmed on top of the two women like a mad frenzied waterfall of black. Teeth and claws raked at the women. Scarlet readied herself behind Xenovia, her Inner Animal roared with her in defiance as her daggers met with what seemed a physical form.

Flickers later that form was gone, and new ones appeared amidst the swirling mist of darkness. Again they attacked, Scarlet sustained a nasty gash to a leg as her focus rested above waist level. The pain shot up her limbs, through her spine and urged her to buckle over as flesh was pierced by cold numbing pain.

Meanwhile, as Xenovia readied the first arrow, the words rushed at her, somehow familiar. A feminine voice outside of herself reached and for a flicker she thought she saw someone, someone in a dark robe standing just beyond the vortex of Cryers.

The arrow touched the bowstring.

She drew.

The white and gray lines on the bow seemed to light up in the darkness. Like shimmering silver flowing from her hands to the tips of the bow, into the string, down to the arrow. She felt a tingling sensation in her hand reaching through her arm into her head, where her Inner Animal cried out. The arrow lit up, the tip turning the same kind of silver. As she released the flight, and the arrow struck the vortex, a howling cry breached the passageway as a wash of light burned through the flighty forms of the surrounding Cryers.

A next arrow was drawn, a gash in the Cryers circle. A gap created that already started to narrow as more Cryers seemed to appear from the darkness that engulfed them as soon as the light from the arrow disappated.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”