Dealing with a husband [24th, morningtide]

Moderator: Mods

Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Dealing with a husband [24th, morningtide]

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

Rosalie waited in the receiving room of the Marcada mansion. Mages had been summoned, but that was just secondary to receiving word about her husbands health. Distracted she nibbled on some bread as she waited for further word.
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Deacon's greying head appeared in the doorway, the bodyguard waving Rosalie over silently, keeping the door opened for her. Within she could see Baron Marcada, propped against the large pillow, his right eye covered by a gauze, several nasty looking scratch marks covering his face. A woman, wearing the white robes of an Acolyte of Mother's Temple, was just packing a number of vials and tiny boxes into a small chest at the nearby table. "He's going to be alright. Still has a bit of a headache and his right eye will take some time to heal, but none of the wounds are permanent. Go see him. He asked for you first thing after he woke up."

The Baron looked slightly dazed, a butler quickly coming to his side and leaning to hear his whisper, placing a glass of water in his master's hand, keeping a close watch of it and helped the injured man sip it. Having taken his fill, which was less than half a glass, Illish leaned back, closing his eye and settled into a more comfortable position.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie gasped softly as she saw the full extent of the damage she had done in her panic of death, guilt gripping her innards, not an emotion she was usually prone to. Wearing only a comfortable houserobe of burgundy velvet, with her tattered chemise underneath, she rushed on her embroidered slippers towards the bed.

Not even dismissing the servants, simply expecting them to disappear and leave the Lord and Lady their peace, Rosalie sat down on the side of the bed. "Illish?.. Oh Illish.. I'm so sorry," she said mournfully, picking up his hand with the rough grey hairs on top of it, rubbing it against her cheek, "This is all my fault."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Perhaps her expectations would have turned true, but Deacon left nothing to chance, his gaze sending the servants out one by one, the butler hesitating a flicker, a sharp inhale of rbeath from the still burly bodyguard sending him out of the door hurriedly. Deacon himself took a step away, moving to settle down in a chair by the window, giving his master and Lady Ambassador a measure of privacy.

Illish did not open his eyes, his hand squeezing Rosalie's a small, weak smile curling his lips. A finger outstretched, caressing Baroness' cheekbone before the Baron turned and slowly opened his eye. "And how can this be your fault?" He did not appear angry, nor disappointed. Merely tired and weary. "You just defended yourself. I... I should be the one apologizing. I nearly killed you. At least that is what Deacon told me when I woke up. I don't remember anything after we turned the lights off and went to bed."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

A wet tear dropped on his finger, having escaped her eyes as she pressed his hand close. "Somebody wanted me dead, Illish," she whispered with her hoarse voice "But it was not you."

Rosalie licked her full red lips, hesitating only a flicker, gently telling him "You were possessed by ah.. a spirit." She looked at Deacon "A ghost with good reason to hate me, though I think he did not end up in our lives by the sheer force of his own passions."

Rosalie sighed, sitting up straighter, her amber eyes never leaving the Baron's battered face "This night was to be my execution for crimes too innumerable to mention, at least in the eyes of my enemies." Just who those enemies were remained to be seen. Rosalie still thought that Lucinda was a good candidate, but then so was sir Hagen or the fat corporal. Even an enemy of her family back in the Mouth was an option she musn't lose sight of. Dominicus, or what if it is all my enemies together. A dreadful frightening thought. A cunning politician kept her enemies divided.

She shook her head, her curls dancing "I was careless and as a result I was forced to nearly kill you. I'm so, so sorry. I must be your bad luck charm." The last was said with an attempt at wry humour. She had after all caused him to poison himself a few months ago, even if with a love potion.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

They said trauma linked people better than friendship and perhaps such was true in this instance as well. The Baron closed his eye once more, shaking his head at Rosalie's words. "How can it be your fault if others sought to do you harm? The only thing you can be blamed for is perhaps the fact you allowed such people to roam free." Marcada's face hardened, the lines at the edge of his eye deepening as he frowned. "Now that we know such people exist, we can see about making sure they do not try it again. All other things aside, you are my wife and whomever strikes at you, strikes at me as well." He sighed, wiping the wet line her tear left from Rosalie's cheek. "Doubly so when they try to use me to kill you. I'll have Deacon hire some men to look into it. And I'll make sure they never try something like this." His one healthy eye burned with rage, though the flames in it disappeared in a flicker, his fingers moving down to caress Rose's throat. "How are you feeling? Did.... Did I do that to you?"
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie laughed shortly, the irony striking her "Perhaps I thought that dead was dead. I hadn't counted on the Empire's magicks to interfere. I shall not make that mistake again." Yes, her husband was every inch the merchantprince and in this instance her respect for him grew, recognizing his sentiments and knowing that they were bonded, if not by love then certainly by respect and duty.

Illish's hands went to the wounds around her throat. Rose swallowed "Not you," she whispered with her destroyed voice, which was still painful to use "Kaspari did that. It.. it will pass. We will offer revenge to those that caused it."

"Illish," she whispered, hesitating for a moment "Illish, I do not know what is going on but they are moving against my father in the Mouth. He could not attend because he was arrested in the Mouth. I will not allow them Illish, you do understand? I have send Ramius to secure our interests at Aveas. It is the harvest of coffee they are after, I am certain. It is priceless." Her amber eyes searched his face, the look of his one eye "Is there some way you can send Ramius help? Does not the Imperial Guild have an interest at Aveas too?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

One did not last as long as Baron Marcada in the mercantile business without honoring the deals and contracts that he made, no matter the reasons behind them. He could have refused to marry her after the enchantment had been lifted, but in the end the arrangement proved to be quite profitable, and not just financially. Even had it been a simple business deal and not a marriage, Illish would have protected it with the same ferocity and perseverance, as he hated losing a profit. "Deacon asked Professor Moore to place the wards around the house. They will both protect us from further trouble and alert us if someone tries to meddle in our lives again. Sadly I do not know what can be done about finding the culprit. I'll ask the Professor when he comes."

Rosalie's next words caused Illish to frown, the Baron shifting in his bed with effort, not quite managing to rise up into a seated position. The Deacon cast him a glance and shook his head, waiting until Rosalie finished speaking before coming closer and helping the Baron sit up. He moved away, though Illish did not wait until he was out of earshot. "I can't do anything directly. Not without causing a diplomatic scandal, and involving the Trade Guild. I can however act as your husband and offer my assistance to the family. Tell me what you need and I will see about securing it. I have some troops and I am sure Duke Erwin won't mind helping provided we offer some recompense. Also, if you wish I can have my agents in the Mouth inquire about what is happening. "As he spoke, Baron's words became slightly slurred, as he was still not feeling perfectly well and tired easily.
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie gave him a brave smile "If you would Illish, I would be ever so grateful. Between us we should be able to prevent evil from happing to the familias." For better or for worse he was part of it now, Rosalie calculating in his interest in her plotting, demanding as much as she would give on this point. There would be many business ventures that suddenly benefited from having knowledge fresh from the Mouth, of that she was certain.

Noticing he was getting tired Rosalie tugged him in once again, fussing "You need your sleep. I am a fool to talk about business. Now hush, and listen to Deacon." Rose pressed her lips against his, even though she instinctively wanted to recoil, not forgetting their previous encounter. However it seemed important to her to express some passion. He deserved no less. "Sleep well, husband," she whispered in final goodbye.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Illish nodded in agreement, Rosalie's next words causing him to frown a bit, for no man was willing to admit he was tired and needed rest, and the Baron was no different. He reached up to caress her cheek, taking a deep breath and giving up, his eyelid suddenly growing so heavy. "I'll sleep once I give Deacon and others the needed instructions. This can't wait." He paused and smiled weakly. "I'll be fine. Just need a bit of time to recover. That's all." As Rose left, Deacon rose from his seat moving to Illish' side, fluffing his pillow and pulling the blanket a bit higher, looking much like an oversized nanny fussing over a small child.

OOC: Fin?
Rosalie Marcada

OOC: Si signor, grazie!
Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Skilled.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”