Port at last - (Harbour Office - 26th Early TT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Port at last - (Harbour Office - 26th Early TT)

Post by Guest »

The Harbour Masters building in Kings Court was prominently labeled. A big sign on the front of the building read "HARBOUR OFFICE". Right beneath the sign was another sign, with a ship and a quilt drawn on it. It was clear for everyone where the registration office was located. That is were all ships were officially registered, duties and taxes are paid, lists of available sailors were displayed, the shipping schedules, etc.

Inside, the Harbour Master's Office was a bustle of activity. On the left clerks were busy writing down numbers in long tables and on the right shippers were checking the lists of unemployed sailors to find new crew members. Many paintings of ships and sea sights decorated the walls. Numerous strange looking artefacts were displayed on shelves. A murmur of many low talking voices could be heard and office clerks were walking back and forth with important looking papers. The air was thick with the smell of many unwashed bodies from sailors, who had been travelling a long time. Right next to the door stood a big desk, with a little sign on it. "INFORMATION" it read.

All newcomers who arrive by ship are required to report to a second desk adjacent to the first, behind which can be seen a sergeant dressed in the uniform of the Vanguard. All newcomers receive the same greeting. "Please state your name, business in the city and religion."

Eyeing the various artifacts on the wall, and pondering there values, Lanthus off handedly answered the mans questions.

"My name is Lanthus Almor, my business is of no real concern. just looking for a place to live, really. As for my religion, mark me as undecided. "

Turning his full attention on the man now, Lanthus Finished, "I pay the gods no mind and hope that they continue to do the same for me."
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The sergeant behind the desk was a middle-aged, swarthy, dark-haired man. He ran his eyes slowly over the newcomer and carefully scribed Lanthus’ name in large, leather-bound ledger that sat on the desk. Then, he put down his writing implement, sat back in his chair and smiled.

“You have only answered one of my questions to my satisfaction. Everyone’s business is my concern, for I am charged with the security of this city. Perhaps, you are a smuggler, thief or criminal and that is why you do not wish to reveal your business. Or. perhaps you are merely insolent and intolerant of authority. Then again, you may simply be ignorant.”

“So, I ask you once again. Please tell me your business here. No-one comes here merely to find a place to live. What is your trade? How do you earn your banners?”

The soldier folded his arms behind his head. "Of course, you may refuse again. However, if you do, I shall be forced to throw you in the harbour and you can swim out of the city.”

Most of the artefacts on the wall were of indeterminate nature and value. However, in one display case could be seen a pair of daggers with what appeared to be jewelled-encrusted hilts. They were obviously of some value, for they were the only artefacts protected by such a case.

Post by Guest »

"Ah, I do apologies. I should have given my answers a bit more thought. Afraid I was taken by the beautiful daggers in that display." Lanthus said as he motioned to the case.

Leaning in close, so as not to be heard by anybody near by Lanthus continued, "I'm a bounty hunter by trade. I do hope you will forgive my earlier secrecy, but I do not wish for any to know my trade, as a bounty hunter with a reputation finds his marks a bit harder to collect."
Guido Cercatoro

The sergeant appeared unimpressed by Lanthus' assertion concerning his occupation. "We soldiers keep the peace. I don't see the need for your sort," he said with disdain. "Anyway, just make sure that you don't cause trouble here."

"As for those daggers, well if you want to know more about them, you better ask Pete at the Dragon's Den. He knows all about them daggers." The soldier laughed and finished entering the new arrival's details into the ledger.

"Be on your way then."
Guido Cercatoro

Archived due to player inactivity

Return to “KC Archive”