Magical Evaluation - Merron - Chyril 26th Early TT

Moderator: Mods

Tristam

Magical Evaluation - Merron - Chyril 26th Early TT

Post by Tristam »

The ball of yellow light summoned by the registrar led Merron through the twisting corridors and towers of the University. The place felt old and strong. At times it felt like a refuge and other times it felt like a cage. His glowing guide led him past cobwebbed bookshelves and great slates covered with indecipherable formula. At one point Merron thought he had stepped outside into an early night but instead discovered the night sky was actually a high ceilinged room with an elaborate crystal mobile that twinkled like stars.

The ball of light gave no time for appreciation. It flitted onward and upward until finally it came to rest beside a door of iron with silver brackets. On the wall was a brass plaque which read:

Professor Althor Ventalla
Master of Mentalist and Introspective Studies
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Merron Grimwood
Civus

Post by Merron Grimwood »

This was probably the first encounter Merron had with magic; well at least the first time had been aware that what he saw was actually a magically summoned thing. Such a simple sphere and the young achadhiel was completely thrown off by it. It took some minutes before Merron gathered himself and realized that he had to make a few running steps to keep up with the sphere. Before disappearing from the hall he turned back and muttered something resembling "Thank you", but Grimwood was so excited it came out chopped and almost unrecognizable.

Merron tried to focus on the glowing orb, while his surroundings changed and changed. He knew that if he had stopped and admired this place he could have lost the yellow little thing.

Even though he was so excited he could still feel the changes in the surrounding that were not so visible. Some places were gloomy and had a thick, heavy feeling to them, while others were light and made you happy immediately upon entering. Power, fear, wisdom even mischief radiated from different rooms, corridors and corners, but Merron would have to study this strange phenomenon later, now he had one simple goal and that was not to lose the orb, which was rather quick and didn't care much about the surroundings.

Finally after a lot of struggling not to stop the ball led Merron to an iron door. Merron read the plaque breathing quickly out of excitement. Althor Mentalla... The achadhiel let out a yawn, he always did that when he was nervous. And Merron was definitely nervous...

Merron knocked and pushed the door open... "Excuse me, the little glowing... erm... I mean the registrar said I should report here. I am a new student... Merron Grimwood"
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
~Frank Herbert
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Apologies for the delay. I had a presentation that sucked away all my time last week.

IC:

Merron knocked upon the door but found it stood firm when he tried to push it open. A muffled voice called out from behind the door. "A flicker."

A few flickers later but not quite a burn, Merron heard a latch being lifted and the door swung open. The little ball of light flashed in ahead of Merron. The walls of the circular room were covered by bookcases that went floor to ceiling. Several were filled with books precisely organized by color and height of the binding leather. Others held an assortment of arcane items: jewels, skulls, odd bits of sculpture and the like. In the dead center of the room was a large circular desk with a section that could swing up to allow access within. It was of a dark rich wood and like the shelves held books and bric-a-brac precisely and neatly placed.

From around the large door stepped an old human. At least, he had the outward appearance of age as his hair was snow white and his full beard grew halfway down his chest. In fact all he needed was a pointy blue hat to match his blue robes to be the stereotypical wizard of the bardic tales. He walked with a spring in his step and his blue eyes appraised Merron calmly.

The globe of light floated over the elder's hand and winked out. The scroll dropped into it. "An applicant to the University. Please come in," Ventalla glanced at the scroll, "Merron. Yes, do please come in and have a seat." He gestured towards the circular desk and one of the chairs around its outside. "I am Professor Ventalla and it would seem you have an interest in Mentalism. That is a most unusual thing. Tell me how that came about."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Merron Grimwood
Civus

Merron slowly stepped into the room while looking at the man who let him in. He wasn't quick to judge people so he didn't have a first impression, the only thing that popped into the young achadhiel's mind was will I have to wear a robe like that? Grimwood proceeded to the designated table, which was very beautifully crafted. Merron had to admit that the university had style.

Grimwood wanted to catch a last glimpse of the little sphere that led him here, but when he lifted his gaze from the table the yellow ball was already gone. Merron felt a strange longing to see something magical again, but he figured that won't be a problem since he is in the University of Magic after all.

Merron listened to Vantalla and the last question the wizard asked made Grimwood feel weary. How should I know...? I want to learn magic in general, but if we have to choose then I choose this branch because "Well you see, my mind is my strongest tool so far, so mentalism became my first and obvious choice. Maybe later on I will have a chance to look into some other disciplines as well, but for know I would like to devote all my time for this particular kind magic."

Only know Merron sat down behind the huge circular desk. He let out a sigh hoping that the answer satisfied the old wizard. Merron sat up straight in the chair; he didn't want to appear disrespectful.
~Frank Herbert
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Professor Ventalla nodded. "Do not worry that your choice today will limit the scope of your studies here." Ventalla assured him. "Should other disciplines prove more interesting to you, you will find the faculty here eager for new apprentices. The question is posed more to see how you arrive at the answer."

Ventalla sits down in one the chairs next to Merron. "Mentalism is an advanced discipline you see. Your instruction would not start until you had mastered some of the basics." Ventalla took a moment to scan the scroll that the registrar sent him. "Ah you have been trained in meditation. Good. That will make your testing easier for you."

"You see before we go any further, we must determine if the spark for magic exists inside you. Practically speaking, we need to see if you can view the Aether." Ventalla explained. "Your eyes and ears deceive you, young Merron." Ventalla wrapped upon the table. "It tells you that this is wood, that that crystal is rock and so forth. Viewed on the Aether it is all energy shaped into these current forms. I could grab the energy in that rock and send a hail of earthen darts or sculpt a crystalline statue. But first you must learn to see it properly."

"Make yourself comfortable and then begin whatever techniques you use for meditation." Ventalla instructed. He spoke soothingly so as not to disturb his concentration. "Sink into the core of yourself. Close your eyes. Feel every bit of your body. Know your chest rising and falling as you breathe. Know each little ache and pain as you sit. Then banish those distractions from your mind. Find your center from which you are you and then extend your awareness outward."

"I cannot tell you what you will see." Ventalla continued. "It is different for each mage. I see swirling colors matched to the elements. Red for fire, white for light and so forth. Other wizards see lines of force or clouds of mist. I know of one that sees a library full of books that she consults for the energies she needs." Ventalla chuckled softly. "But you will know it when you see it. Concentrate. Focus on your task and tell me what you see with your mind."

OOC: You are free to choose how Merron sees the Aether. Feel free to run it by me in PM before posting if you want.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Merron Grimwood
Civus

Merron stood up and lifted the chair a bit so he could move it away from the table (pushing the chair might've made scratches on the floor), he needed to place his hands on his knees without anything in the way; it just bothered Grimwood that the table was so close. The young achadhiel sat up straight, Vantalla's words echoed in his mind "...begin whatever techniques you use for meditation", only now Merron understood that the teacher actually read his mind while he was thinking about why he chose Mentalism, but his decision was not to pay any attention to that. For know Grimwood had nothing to hide.

Well... I haven't had a lot of time to develop a certain technique. I wonder if that is a problem... Should I tell him? Hm, probably no... I'll just try what always worked best for me... Merron closed his eyes and retreated to the depths of his mind and knowledge. He began generating information on completely random things; he started with algebra, quickly jumped to philosophy and then switched to literature. Merron tried to remember names, facts, equations, descriptions all at the same time. Grimwood's mind seemed boiling with information; he felt a familiar strain on his temples. His head was slightly throbbing and a slight frown formed from his usually calm features. And then came the most important part of this peculiar way of meditating. Merron just stop his mind completely, he shut it of and released all the strain. It was an amazing sensation like a wave just crashed into the achadhiel and now he was just drifting at see.

Merron's mind did not belong to him anymore. It went its own way, unguided and uncontrolled. The simplest details now felt so much different, the feel of the fabric on his body or the smells in the room were so much stronger. It appeared as if he experienced the world for the first time. Merron understood that this feeling won't last for too long and decided to try and complete his goal given by Ventalla. Grimwood opened his eyes and to his distress he couldn't see anything similar to the things the old man talked about. Wait! I do see something! And yes, Merron saw thousands of barely visible strings, they were as thin as a hair, but he could still see them. Merron jumped up out of surprise and some aggravation. Why haven't I seen this before!? Such quick movement and stress caused the strings to start disappearing and Merron had to calm his mind again and breathe deeply. The strings were visible again.

Merron concentrated on the ones coming out of the table. The achadhiel extended his hand and three of the strings reacted to his welcoming presents, quickly the threads shot into the center of his palm. The ones that Merron was connected with became more distinct and clear. They were bigger too. Hmm... They look like strings on a harp. Another thing that changed is that the strings started to radiate a clear color. The ones connecting Grimwood to the table were green. What was the thing that Vantalla mentioned?? Ah... Colors are elements or something like that. So this must mean nature. Because the table is made out of wood.

Grimwood wanted to try some more things in the room, but he lost his concentration and couldn't summon the strings anymore. Nevertheless all that he just experienced left him speechless. Merron just sat there staring blankly in front of himself.
Last edited by Merron Grimwood on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Frank Herbert
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Ventalla studied Merron carefully as he concentrated on his task. To his Aether sight, Merron was a chalk white figure of life energy against the mostly blue back drop of the air. Living things were usually simple to pick out with Aether sight. The moment Merron saw the Aether the chalk white image blazed with brilliant white light. He had awakened.

Merron grasped the energies of air before Ventalla could caution him not to. It was rare for a student to succeed in grasping them the first time. The energy of the Aether was a slippery thing to a new mage. Fortunately, Merron lost his concentration before he drew on the energy he grasped. Without the proper grounding, that could have been quite painful.

Ventalla smiled softly at Merron's wonder and awe. "Well done, Merron. It is clear that the gift for magic is within you." Ventalla congratulated him then sighed. It always pained him to take someone that just hit the highest peak of his life and then drag him down in the mundanity of funding. "On that basis, I can vouch for your inclusion here at the University. However, we must now sadly turn to the issue of payment."

Ventalla reached over to his desk and picked up two pieces of parchment from wooden holders. One looked old with wax symbols pressed into it around the edges and center was thick with words in a purplish ink. The second was on new white parchment with a solid block of writing in black ink with an official looking seal at the bottom.

"We have a standing offer from the Imperial Government of the Seven Isles to pay for your training as a magician in return for a period of service to the Imperial Government once you have graduated." Ventalla explained. "If that is acceptable to you, you can sign the documents right now and we can get you settled. Otherwise, you would have to seek out an alternate source for the four crowns a semester. The priests at the Temple of Pecunia would be able to help you broker a deal with interested parties."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Merron Grimwood
Civus

Merron was quick in deciding witch of the two possibilities to chose and picked up the official looking scroll. A government job didn't sound so bad and maybe some adventures would lay in store for me, so Grimwood thought. Plus he was ready to sell his soul to any god who would offer him such training. And now the only thing needed was his skills for a period of time. Ahh... That's the catch Merron looked up at Vantalla to see what kind of a reaction his choice made on the old human.

"May I inquire, how long would I have to work for the government? And may I borrow a quill and some ink?"

Merron's mind wandered already to the wonders he would learn. It almost played tricks on his senses making him feel a sweet taste in his mouth while the young Achadhiel conjured images of himself casting various spells and incantations. He was rather imaginative for such a studious character, but that didn't bother Merron one bit. He liked to drift away to the perfect world of the future, past and present that always existed within him.

ooc: Sorry, not much to write about
Last edited by Merron Grimwood on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Frank Herbert
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"That is between you and the government." Ventalla explained. "As I understand it, at the end of your training the the Temple of Pecunia will conduct an audit of the cost of your education and supply both you and the Imperial Government with an exact accounting of what you owe. Then as you perform various tasks for the government, they will deduct the standard cost of such magics as determined by the University and the Temple of Pecunia from what you owe the government."

Ventalla gestured to a desk drawer on the inside of the circular desk and it opened. An inkwell and a fresh quill then lifted out of the drawer, floated over to Merron, and set themselves down on the desk. "So if there happens to be a war to fight or a magical artifact they need constructed you could work off your debt in days or weeks. On the other hand if a position of court mage adviser suited you, then the debt would be paid off in lots of little magics over the course of months or years but since you'd be where you want to be that would be no great hardship. There are some murmurings that you might not even have to pay your debt right away but instead would agree to drop everything and pay back your debt when it is truly needed." Ventalla offered.

Merron would find that the older scroll was the agreement with the University. It promised Merron training in the magical arts and free room and board in return for the tuition payments and sundry magical services needed to keep the university functioning. The newer scroll was the agreement with the Imperial Government written in thick legal speak but it seemed to spell out more or less what Ventalla described.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Merron Grimwood
Civus

If there were any doubts about Merron's choice they were all gone now. The terms were more than acceptable and on no circumstance was he going to miss the opportunity to do that. Merron's eyes sparkled while following the inkwell and the quill through the air.

Even in his excited state Merron decided to read through both of the scrolls and only then his trembling fingers picked up the quill and dipped it in ink. The young achadhiel signed the government scroll first with beautiful loopy handwriting. Then Grimwood let out a sigh and quickly signed the second one. For a few moments Merron stood and looked at his own name. A few hours ago he wouldn't have dreamed about this. The achadhiel realized how long this day was and how tired he actually is.

Merron picked the scrolls up and handed them to the old mage. And even though he just signed up for definite service he felt a sense of overwhelming freedom rushing through his body. Merron could not control his smile and the obvious glee in his eyes. Grimwood blushed slightly and lowered his head before speaking.

"What happens now? Where should I go?"
~Frank Herbert
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Both documents were heavy with legal and other jargon but from what Merron could make out, it promised exactly what Ventalla had described to him. When Merron signed the University scroll he felt a slight tingling all over his body.

Ventalla accepted the scrolls with a nod. "Well that is largely up to you." Ventalla smiled at Merron's eagerness. "You will be assigned a room in the student dormitory and we'll get one of the students to give you the guided tour to show you where the dining hall, library and general classrooms are. Group lessons are mostly in the morning with the exception of magical disciplines that cannot be done in the light of the sun. The afternoons are yours for study and practice with your various chores for the University or your Master stirred into the mix. Evenings are entirely your own unless you choose to take one of the night classes."

"So you could take the tour and settle in. Many do after the heady excitement of passing into a new stage of life." Ventalla observed. "Or you could stay here and we'll see if we can get you to weave your first spell." Ventalla smiled slightly. He found giving this choice to reveal much about a new student and looked forward to Merron's answer.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Merron Grimwood
Civus

Merron listened carefully and caught a word which stretched a curious smile on his face. "You mentioned a master, would that be you sir?" Grimwood's mind was already racing forward imagining how he would spend his evenings practicing even more. I wonder what kind of classes? The young achadhiel caught his consciousness slipping away and quickly returned it to the matter at hand.

Ventalla's suggested options intrigued the new student. Of course it would be wiser to settle down and get your thoughts straight, but it was not what Merron's personality would allow him to do. His decision was obvious, but Grimwood decided to play his answer with a little bit of care. "Well, if there is an opportunity for me to try and learn something right now, I would definitely like to try. Unless you suggest otherwise..."

Merron's faded energy suddenly got a burst, like someone had spilt alcohol on a dying flame and a subtle sparkle appeared in his emerald green eyes. This is the start of the life he wanted and desired. Never before Merron felt so right in his entire life, which is not really strange considering that the bigger part of his life was spent in servitude; but for once he actually wants to serve something... The University.
~Frank Herbert
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Ventalla smiled. Eager and bold. I can work with that. "To answer your question, I may be your master but that is a question for the future. For your initial period of study, you are encouraged to experience as many different disciplines of magic and the professors that teach them. If you still wish to focus your studies on mentalism after that, then it is my turn to decide if I want to train you as my apprentice." Ventalla explained. "I have not taken an apprentice in many yahren," He added. "but it not often that a student expresses an interest in my discipline. We shall see."

"Now to your lesson." Ventalla swept his hands forward. "The process by which you viewed the Aether is called centering. So center yourself once more and see the energies around you. The next step to spellcasting is called grounding. The energies of the Aether are not easily grasped but once they are, it is all too easy to draw great amounts of energy into yourself without knowing how to rid yourself of them. Many a student has been burned or worse as a result." Ventalla warned him. "So once you have grasped a thread of energy that you wish to work with with, you send it down into the earth or up into the sky. Once grounded, the excess energy that you do not use in your weavings can be sent through the grounded strands to be released back into the Tether safely. Try it now." Ventalla encouraged.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Merron Grimwood
Civus

Centering! Finally some theory behind it all "Alright, I'll give it a try" Merron exclaimed enthusiastically. Once again he put a strain on his mind making up random subjects in his mind quicker and quicker so that his mind would have a hard time to cope with all the information going through it. Soon after once more Grimwood released the stress and outstretched his senses. When Merron's eyes opened a slight smile of satisfaction appeared on his usually straight lips.

The nearly invisible threads of energy were everywhere glowing in their own color. Now for the next step. Merron outstretched his hand towards a book, which had a lot of green strings coming out of it. Nature... The young achadhiel pictured in his mind how the strings attach to his palm and the strings suddenly shot into the centre of his palm. Merron felt like there were thousands of threads or worms or something similar going under his skin. But he didn't feel pain like his mind and body expected. Merron felt warmth and energy flowing through his body and for a moment it felt soothing and comfortable, but that moment was soon to pass. Grimwood nearly forgot about the last step and his body started to fill with energy without going anywhere... The energy started to strangle him, Merron couldn't inhale.

With his last strength Grimwood tried to focus all of the separate ripples of energy that were going through his body into a one tangible stream. Moments later he just focused on the floor and hoping that the energy would ground there. Merron didn't even want to think about what would happen if it didn't...
~Frank Herbert
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

It was most unusual for a dead thing such a book to be strong with the energies of nature. Many of the items in Ventalla's study were like that. There was a misshapen skull strong with the energies of life and beside it a branched ruby crystal stronger with the energies of fire than earth.

With the last of his will, Merron urged the strands of nature earthward and they speedily obeyed. It was after all where they wanted to go. Ventalla nodded with satisfaction. "There. Now that you are grounded to the Tether, you can try a simple weave." Ventalla reached out and picked up a nearby candelabra and the fiery crystal and placed them before Merron on the desk.

"Watch me and then try to repeat it." Ventalla instructed. Ventalla reached out to the fire crystal and drew forth a single red strand of flame. He pulled it over to the candle and then pulled forth a weak strand of nature from the wick. Deftly he tied them together and the candle was ablaze. Ventalla blew out the candle and gestured for Merron to try.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”