A Fishy Can't Change It's Scales (Chyril 25th, eveningtide)

Moderator: Mods

Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The streets were now crowded with revelers, many with a tankard of ale in hand. Blue and white tabbarded guards frequently stalked by, the watch often partaking in a little merrymaking while the Imperial Guard maintained a lofty detachment.

"Coronation's kicked off well enough then," Julie mumbled, after pushing away a red-faced drunk who had just 'tripped' into her. "Going to be fireworks tonight as well," she remarked lookign up at the sky. It had turned a pale blue at the zenith, fading to midnight hues to the east and burning a brilliant pink afterimage where it caught the clouds in the west. "Might have a hard time sleeping, but then you'd get that without them. Dunks are notoriously loud."

After a degree of pushing and shoving they were standing outside a modest, two floored building. It was obviously the Burpin' Dragon, Should Elsor bid her farewells and enter she would be met with the following scene:

The Burpin Dragon is a two floor friendly Inn for those travelers down on their luck. Run by an odd couple, this Inn caters to the poor and kind of heart. Here a man or woman can get experienced advice, new jokes and a place to stay for a very low price. Bardic and rogueish people tend to frequent this Inn the most. Bards share their talents and compete in a friendly atmosphere, while rogues can feel safe and secure for a night.

The well decorated foyer contains a grumbling old dwarf behind a desk, a place to hang your coat, a few comfy seats to rest in while waiting to check in, and a few baked goods to sample while your relaxing. A stairway leads up to the second floor and a doorway leads into the Bar, where sounds of merry fun can be heard.

If you are new to the Citadel, the Dragon is a good place to get the local gossip and seek out new opportunities.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor ducked and weaved through the crowd after Julie.
"I haven't seen fireworks before. What are they like?"

She looked at the Burpin' Dragon. She said goodbye to Julie and wandered into the inn. She went up to the dwarf and grinned.
"Errum, can I have a room for tonight? And perhaps an indication as to where I might find dinner?"
Elsor began to rummage through her sack for coins to pay the dwarf with, she had a look around at the surrounds for a place to sit when she'd put her things into her room.
Thanks to allavatars.com for my avatar!
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Julie grinned.
"When you hear what sounds like thunder coming out to play, come outside and watch the sky. Take care, right? I'll see you tomorrow, early."

She went to leave but paused, and turned back to Elsor.

"Oh, and you left this behind," she said, holding up a tiny luminescent orb. A pearl.
"There was an old clam trapped underneath that boot. Here, you need it a lot more than I do right now, but don't expect this kind of charity in the future. Finders keepers and whatnot."

She offered Elsor the little pearl, should she want it. Then Julie and co. departed leaving Elsor to conduct business within the Dragon.

[hr][/hr] [hr]The Burpin' Dragon[/hr] [hr][/hr][hr][/hr]

Elsor wrote:"Errum, can I have a room for tonight? And perhaps an indication as to where I might find dinner?"

The dwarf harrumphed.
"If'n ye're after a meal, ye're jus' in time. Fare comes wi' board, though, sae ye kin jus' pay fer a room and heid straight on in. How long do ye plan on stayin, lass...ie?"
The slight pause revealed the bald old dwarf's uncertainty.
Those coins Ollie had offered her would have come in handy, but as it was Elsor was able to procure a hefty pile of banners. Julie had mentioned that it was cheap here, though, so all that probably wasn't necessary.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor took the pearl and blinked. Without even knowing it, she had found a pearl, but had been too grossed out to investigate it's hiding place. A feeling of self-elation filled the achadhiel when Julie gave her the pearl and Elsor put it in her special pearl-pouch. Whether Julie knew it or not, that pearl meant more to her than any amount of money ever could - and whether it was the same pearl or a different one, Elsor had always kept a pearl with her for the rest of her days.

Elsor grinned at the dwarf and handed over two banners.
"Will this be enough? I'm planning of having board here at night for about two nights."

Looking around, Elsor saw that the Inn was roomy, yet a little cramped at the same time. Just like home, except her family wasn't the people inside.
"Any news from around that I may be able to catch up on, or is the Citadel it's usual self?"
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The owner grunted. "Hmph. This'll get ye the one night, an' I'm being generous by leaving oot the deposit. Ye can pay in advance fer the next night or do it tomorrow. Afore supper, mind."

Elsor wrote:"Any news from around that I may be able to catch up on, or is the Citadel it's usual self?"

Rather than shoo her onto the taproom for her chit chat requirements as he usually might, Bill the dwarf gave in to a moment's desire to moan to somebody about the night.
"Well, if'n ye just cam oot of the sticks, then ye would'na ken the coronation's on tonight. Bloody mess, pissed farts all o'er the streets and a queue fer the bar afore they all hit the road agin. Och, when drink's in, wit's oot, as they say. Could do wi' a stiff one meself, actually."

A crowd of smelly, ale-soaked men stumbled into the recpetion room and made their straight off to the bar, guffawing drunkenly amongst themselves. The dwarf's countenance darkened even more, and he muttered something inaudible.
Reaching for a quill, he began jotting down some information upon an open ledger.

"Room twelve is free... wha's yer name?"
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor blinked. She thought this place was more or less inexpensive...so two banners...She shook her head and listened to the dwarf, trying to sift his accent into something understandable.

"Room twelve, just before room thirteen - should I be part of local superstition? My name is Elsor."

Elsor blinked as she waited for some sort of key or padlock from the dwarf to signify that she had her room. Blinking again, only with eyelids slightly heavier this time, Elsor turned her mind to what she would try for dinner that night. Perhaps they had a soup of the day, or a few pieces of chicken, should the Citadel feel the need to import such luxuries. Thinking of luxuries, her mind turned to her father. The tall, stockily-built man was always in favour of a tooth-grinding steak and a hearty shovel's-worth of potato. Her mother on the other hand, was more for leafy food that didn't harm the environment.
Ah, the homesickness was coming back again.

The tall, graceful Adhiel paired with a burly Man was perhaps one of the least likely combinations in the history of, well, history. What they saw in each other Elsor didn't know, but was glad they saw whatever it was they saw else she wouldn't exist.
Back to important matters - her creature of a stomach wasn't too happy with it's neglect.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Elsor wrote:"Room twelve, just before room thirteen - should I be part of local superstition? My name is Elsor."

"Depends," mumbled Bill. "If said superstiton means we keep empty rooms, then nae. Yosie!"

The coins disappeared in a flash, the dwarf finishing scratching the stylus upon the open book and rinsed it off. Whoever he'd called was obviously busy, and so a couple of uncomfortable silent flickers passed in which the operator harrumphed, and offered;

"Name's Bill. I help the owners run this place, wi' Yosie and Beatrice. Ah, Yosie!"

An attractive, well-rounded human woman with firty blonde hair bustled in fromn the taproom. "Yes, Bill? New guest just arrived?"

"Aye, lass. She's paid fer a night, an' mighty famished from the way she's droolin'. Fix her up some o' that stew, aye. Naen wersh, though! Stay's valid till supper tomorrow nicht."

The woman offered Elsor a beaming smile. "Well now. Come into the bar and take a seat, and I'll grab you something to sup at. And I'll show you your room afterwards. What's your name, miss?"
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Ooc: Wooo!!! I get to use adhiel in this post!!

Elsor grinned at the dwarf, Bill, and had a mind to call him by his name next time she walked through the front entrance.

"Stew...sounds cool."
Elsor moved to follow Yosie to the bar - even though she didn't drink, perhaps a non-alcoholic drink apart from milk or water would suffice. Should all else fail, a mug of beer never hurt anyone.

"My name is Elsor. Namaste, Yosie."
She went to sit down at the bar.
"I'm just wondering, what do fireworks look like?"
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Yosie looked around as Elsor greeted her, taking a flicker to realise that she had been talking to her, and not a nearby Adhiel.

"Namaste... that's Adhiel, isn't it? It's a greeting or summat, right? Well, hello Elsor. I'll have to beg your pardon since I only pick up bits and pieces of the lingo."

Elsor wrote:"I'm just wondering, what do fireworks look like?"

"Well, I'f you don't know, I'd only spoil the surprise, wouldn't I? Look, when I'v got a sec, I might show you onto the roof so's you get a good view of them when they start going up. But for now, you need something in that tiny belly of yours!"

Yosie disappeared into the kitchen, leaving Elsor to be buffeted by a perpetually flowing tide of revelers to the bar. Another young woman worked hurriedly at the taps to fill their lacking vessels; after some burns Yosie reappeared with a generously sized steaming (and slightly chipped) clay bowl of stew. Basic fare, with bits of potato and dumpling bobbing in the broth next to bits of onion and beef. It was all well-cooked, the meat tender and the taters soaked up the wholesom flavour.
In addition to the stew was a humble slice of bread coated in butter, and a small cup of plain, but clean, water.

"It'll quiet down once everyone realises the fireworks are on, and rush out to catch them. Me and Beatrice are going to get Bill to handle the taps then while we head up to watch for a bit. If you finish that by then," she nodded at the bowl, "you're welcome to join us."

"Yosie, c'mon!"

The other woman at the bar just called. Yosie gave Elsor a shrug.
"Gotta get back to work, hun. Anything you want to ask before I go?"
Last edited by Craghley on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

"Yeah. It means 'Well Met' I think. More or less a hello. Sorry, It's a habit of mine to use words like that..Lemme know if you don't understand anything, yes?"

Coming from a moderately well-off family, Elsor never really had the chance to frequent an Inn. The simple yet interesting meal, well, interested the young achadhiel as she made up her mind to start on the potato. As they say, simple minds...

"Hey...thanks."
Elsor picked up the cup and took a swig as Yosie wriggled out of explaining what fireworks looked like.
"Nin, I'll be alright. Thankyou anyway."
Elsor let Yosie go back to work, lest she get into trouble on her account, and dipped the bread experimentally into the stew. Her tongue stuck out the side of her mouth as she chased a potato around the bowl with the bread, enjoying every second of it.

The faint sound of footsteps outside the Inn moving towards the centre of the Citadel moved the customers around the eating room but Elsor was too distracted to care, with her tongue stuck out the side of her mouth as she chased a potato around the bowl with the bread, enjoying every second of it.
Last edited by Elsor on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Fortunately for Elsor, Yosie was showing capable in understanding her rudimentary Human, and actually quite enjoyed trying to remember or figure out the tidbits of Adhiel that the young diver was adding to her speech.

It was comfortably warm in the tap room, a combination of the lamps, the mass of bodies, and the solid insulation of the structure.

The potato bobbed up and down in the stew, one second being pushed along by the force of the bread and the next, disappearing under the soupy broth to resurface on the other side of the bowl.
In the midst of this exercise, a familiar voice wormed through the queue and their chatter to Elsor.

"Oi, Dragon! Find us a good spot, yeah? I don't wanna miss the show..."

Ollie Wingles had joined the end of the line, and the figure of Dragon was waving a hand non-commitally at Ollie while disappearing out the door. Ollie turned back to face the bar, holding two steins but oblivious to Elsor's presence.
Last edited by Craghley on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

The voice of Ollie lifted her head as a bubble of happiness welled up inside. Ollie! So he was still alive, after all and hadn't been caught by the guard she had met near his meeting place...
Trying to stay out of things, Elsor kept her head down and completely immersed herself in eating dinner, even though it felt utterly ridiculous. Ollie seemed to be living a happy enough life since she had left him - which was precisely the way she wanted it. Her ears strained painfully as she listened out for him as he came to earshot. Now her hands were shaking and the stew-eating excersise bacame a little difficult as she tried her hardest to sit still when she was so close to a new friend...but patience was a virtue..

Ollie can't possibly be here just to see the fireworks...Wait....he can't be...not pickpocketing again...
Elsor thought in horror...so they hadn't really been better off after all.
Fool, she thought, That guardsman was right. You're nothing but a fool after all. Just a silly girl trying to pursue her dreams of a better world and what impact did you make? None at all...
A tear threatened to venture out of her burning eyes, but Elsor shook her head.
There's nothing more you can do about it now. To keep the heart and spirit strong one must move on from ordeals like this. Crying over it is just a betrayal of the heart.. A mere betrayal of the heart.
Elsor finished up her stew, stood and moved quickly up to room 12. She didn't care if she couldn't get in, just to get away from Ollie and entangled in his gang was more than enough.
Last edited by Elsor on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

As the staircase to the rooms was upstairs, Elsor had to move into the reception hall to get there. As she moved passed the line, Ollie finally noticed her and brushed her arm. But as he was busy and worried about the reprimand of losing his place in line, the only thing that followed Elsor was a surprised shout of 'Hey!' from the boy.

In the hall, Bill glanced up from his scribbling with a raised eyebrow but saying nothing. He got down from his stool and bustled into the taproom as Elsor climbed the staircase.

Room twelve was easy to find; down the corridor, it was the number which proceeded eleven. It was, however, locked. After a burn or two, the sound of feet sounded on the stairs and the second woman from the taproom, Beatrice (if Elsor could put two and two together from her talk with Bill), appeared. A key danced on a length of cord held in her hand, and she approached the Achadhiel.

"Elsor, is it? Bill said Yosie had yet to show you to the room, and you'd just headed up..." something about Elsor's countenance registered with the woman, and she finished with "Are you alright, sorry? The stew didn't disagree with you, did it?"
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor hadn't expected the sudden outburst of emotions that followed Ollie coming into the room. She was shaking, but more or less fine.
"Nin, The stew was great. J..just met an aquaintance I'd thought I'd never see again.."

Elsor sighed, leaning against the wall in relief that Ollie was downstairs - away from her for the burns she was there.
"I'm Elsor. Sorry about the rush. Like I said, just not expecting to see this..person."
She thought back to Ollie. He simply might be innocently enjoying the fruits of his partner's success...which was highly probable that the success wasn't legal...still, with the amount of people interested in the fireworks and probably gathering in large groups to an open-air area all to watch something in the sky would be irresistable to any pickpocket, murderer and anyone who wanted to get business done without anyone seeing.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Beatrice turned the key in the lock and swung the door open for Elsor. As she removed the key and proferred it to the Achadhiel, a sad light entered Beatrice's pellucid eyes.

"You're too young to be feeling that much sorrow already... you can make yourself comofrtable here or come back down whenever you like. Do you have anything you want a hand with?"

A dull thump reverberated through the corridor, making Beatrice look around.

"Or," she continued with a growing smile and sparkle in the eye, "you could com with me and Yosie to watch the fireworks."
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor smiled faintly as Beatrice gave her the key. She took it gently and put her sack down just inside the door.

"I've never seen fireworks before...If it's ok with you, I guess I could come for a little while."

Elsor checked that her daggers were tucked snugly in her boots, where they usually stayed, before taking out a fresh tunic and pants, seeing as all she was currently wearing were her swimming gear and her old clothes from the day before.
"So, umm..where do you want to meet, then? I might be a few minutes," she added, holding up the tunic. The achadhiel flashed the human a grin, to let her know that once Ollie was out of sight she was fine.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Beatrice shot Elsor a wry smile.

"Best leave you for a sec. I'll go help Yosie until the taproom empties out. Come down when you're ready... if the coast is clear," she finished.

Beatrice would wait in the corridor until Elsor was settled, giving the new tenant a chance to examine her room.
Depending on what attention she gave it, the room would be revealed as very modest, about two and half by three metres of rough wooden decking with a small, dirty window facing the street. A small cot (but plenty large enough for Elsor) occupied a corner right below it with some coarse, if clean, blankets. A vary small chest was also at the foot of the bed, devoid of a lock.
There was even a rickety chair in the other far corner, and a wobbly desk conisting of a some joined planks of wood with chains holding it to the wall along the sides and a folding prop, so that it could be raised or lowered to make effective use of the cramped space.
It was relatively warm, though she would be reliant solely on the blankets and her garments to keep the night chills away.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor nodded and closed the door softly behind the lady as she left. She turned and sighed as she dumped her sack into the chest and began to undress out of her swimming gear.

As she pulled the clean tunic over her head and shook the hair out of her face, Elsor breathed in the feel of the room. It smelled woody and cozy as well as fresh with the tiny draft that seemed to be blowing from behind the desk.
Once the Achadhiel was dressed and had a good ol' stretch in the middle of the room, Elsor slid her knives into her boots and the key next to the scabbard in her left boot. She ran her fingers quickly over the coarse fabric of the sheets and smiled as she thought of how snugly she would sleep that night. She looked around and sighed.

"I wonder how my little brother is going now...I wonder if he became the tuirdhiel he always wanted to be.." Elsor murmured as her concerntration flitted to an otherworldly place whilst her body stood on the floor of a rather comfortable room. As she came back to the world she was supposed to be in, she was reminded of her old room. It was at least twice the size of the room she was in then, yet the room echoed when you spoke too loudly and there was a still, almost lonely air about it.
Elsor heard the muffled conversations of the people on the floor below, the voice of Bill and Yosie talking and footsteps of people walking to and fro. She dipped her head as she turned and left the room, locking the door as she did so.

The achadhiel proceeded to tiptoe down the stairs, careful not to make any sound as she was aware how notorious wooden staircases were of making an unexpected creak precisely when you didn't want them to.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

These stairs were quiet for no man, woman, or other humanoid, but Elsor's light frame coupled with her practiced stealth made the groans of the old boards inaudible to any below. The nosie that drifted up had gradually shifted in a great, noisome exodus out from the tap room, into the reception, and away off in to the street. Yosie's voice cut through the hubbub.
"Bill! We're practically done here. Can you take over for a minute?"

"Aye, lass. Ga'an, git oot. I'll tak care o' the taps."

"Thanks, Bill! Beatrice, finish up and come on, we'll miss the show."

The reception room was empty below Elsor, and should she further examine the tap room it would reveal but a few stragglers, no sign of Ollie or his crew, the disgruntled dwarf Bill on a stool behind the bar, and Yosie and Beatrice chatting to each other as they made their way out.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Ooc; Sorry for the short post - We had a long exam today and my mind feels like a pancake..

Elsor peered shyly around the corner.
"Hey..umm..Bill, is it?"
Elsor crept up to the front desk and folded her arms. Not a habitually outgoing person as she was, the achadhiel felt the few seconds awkward as she waited for Beatrice and Yose to finish with whatever they were doing.

Elsor took a deep breath as she waited for something to happen.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: Mmm... pancakes.

[hr][/hr]
Bill looked away from the current customer, carefully filling up his tankard with ale.

"What're ye doin' inside? Lass o' yer age, should be up an oot watching the sky. Wha can I do ye for?"

At this point Yosie and Beatrice spotted her, and called out as they walked over.

"We were just coming to get you. Coming? Better hurry up, else it'll be finished by the time we get there."
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor felt like she was grinning from ear to ear, if that was even possible for a humanoid to do.
"Let's go then!"
Elsor did a little turn on her heel, still curious to find out what all the commotion was about. Out of nowhere, strange imaginings of what fireworks could possibly be entered her head.
Perhaps fireworks are giant fire caterpaults, or perhaps they're just a fiery dragon made by the wizards...

Elsor moved over to where Josie and Beatrice were standing and fell into step behind them as they walked, perhaps being a tad annoying at times when they had to turn around.
"Which way are we going?" The achadhiel asked, eyes sparkling with excitement.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

They headed through the kitchens behind the bar, surprisingly. There was a stairwell up to what must have been the staff's quarters, though it all appeared practically identical to the renter's lodgings. Along a corridor, Yosie grabbed a long hooked pole and pulled down a sliding ladder to the attic. Up through the musty confines of the attic was another hatch which lead striaght up onto the sloping tiles of the roof of the Burpin' Dragon. They chatted amiably the way up.

"So, Elsor, you're from Roque, yes?" Beatrice asked. "In case you're wondering, working in a bar at the Citadel makes you a wonder at picking accents. Your Human is pretty good, too."

Yosie also joined in. "So what's brought you here? What kind of business are you into?"

Up on the roof, the multitude of street lights and hand-held items of illumination carried by the swarming masses meant that the streets were surprisingly light, along with the roar it carried a strongly festive air. The smell of smoke was also faint upon the air. In fact, a plume could be seen off elsewhere in the Inner Ring, like a building had caught alight.

The fireworks, however... As Elsor was clambering out onto the roof a tiny finger of brilliant white snaked its way up against the blackened sky, fading out nearing the end of its' journey until gone utterly from sight...
... and burst into a burning magenta flower that filled the sky with a thump, its embers drifting along the wind as it died, fading away within flickers before they reached the palace they had risen over. More followed, multitudes lacing the sky with shimmering tendrils of greens, and yellows, and reds and blues and more.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

"I'm from Roque. Thankyou, I've grown up with mixed languages. My imiel would be proud to hear that."

Elsor climbed up after them onto the rooftop.

"As for business, I'm learning to be a merchant. I sell stuff that I find on the bottom of the sea floor - or lake floor - wherever there's water. So far I have a few pearls and a few daggers to show for my work but no profit.."

As the light show began, Elsor stared in awe at the sparkling lights that gradually disappeared into the night sky. Such magic...the achadhiel wondered as to what occasion brought such celebration among the people.

"So, how is this done? The, um...fire..umm.."
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Elsor wrote:"As for business, I'm learning to be a merchant. I sell stuff that I find on the bottom of the sea floor - or lake floor - wherever there's water. So far I have a few pearls and a few daggers to show for my work but no profit.."

"Pearls, eh? Then you won't be staying in this joint for long," said Yosie with a wink. Certainly enough light came from the streets to illuminate the figures sufficiently upon the rooftop. "She'll leave us for Blackbridge," she continued jokingly to Beatrice. The other woman, a little worried about pushing the jest, merely offered a weak smile back.
"Give it time. As I understand, pearls are one of our major exports," she cut in. "Stands to reason you should make a decent living by it."

The bursts of light were appreciated with little 'oohs' and 'aahs' from the two women. At Elsor's question, Beatrice laughed and Yosie shrugged.

"If I knew," said Yosie. "I'd be making them every night."

"I think I heard something about using metal powders," replied Beatrice.

"What, metal? Exploding? We don't have any of the stuff in the Dragon, do we?"

"I don't think it quite works like that, Yosie. Might be more like... sparks. Or something."

Yosie turned to Elsor.
"The answer to your question is: no idea. But they sure are a sight."

Above the palace a tree burst into shimmering viridian life, drooping within flickers till it died on the wind. More 'oohs' and 'aahs'. The smell of smoke, however, was getting stronger and the column off in the distance had thickened.

"That looks nasty... good thing we're not around that part of town. All these old timbre buildings..." Beatrice shook her head. "You can't have been here long, Elsor. Just arrived today?"

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”