PAX: Minding Business, Chryil 27th, MT - (Elaine, Open)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"I... I guess I'd better blow my cover then, had I? I'm sorry miss Mentahn, I'd bin deliberately misleading ye about this gel... but... I trust the lady Elaine tae trust ye."

At the selection of pipes, he shook his head when faced with the reality. Each pipe had some minor, noticable difference to his old one. It was unlikely he'd be able to use it to fool Laewin if the game came down to that, and that was just through the use of his own few senses... no telling what that spirit had at its' disposal.

"Very well, then. Master Penth and I spoke tae her this morning. She asked oor nams, and when master Penth attempted tae scarper early, she controlled him through some form of song-magic.
"When she spoke o' this Falven, it were as though she were consulting it fer advice. Penth had made her a wee bit carnaptious, so I calmed her doon with a song of my own."
Craghley smiled as he remembered which one in particular.
"And then she said she'd show me a secret if I played a game wi' her tonight, upon the birth of Gravetide. She took my pipe and plans a wee hide and seek, methinks. But... more concerningly, she mentioned playing a game las' night with a man, who 'didn't want tae play'. She went further and 'taught him a lesson'.
"What worries me is that I - well, donnae ken if ye both know what the Wyrd is, but it allowed me a real glimpse at this lassie, and all I saw was a great, sinister hunger. Then... she hugged me an' left. Left this stain on me kilt."

He was not quite done, however. There was much between the lines in the conversation of the two women which caught his attention.

"Ye both have me thinking noo - wha' dae ye mean by 'these people', miss Mentahn? How many are we speaking of exactly?"
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine could not help but laugh at the whole 'blowing his cover' remark. "I am terribly sorry, sir Craghley. This must seem horribly impolite, which was not my intention. As for your story, it is disconcerting to say the least." The smile disappeared as the bard searched her memories of Blackbird.

"I fear we are indeed dealing with a multitude of beings here. Blackbird does not sound remotely like this girl you met, Craghley. There was no hunger in her, but a need to help her father. She did have a companion, but that one was there for protection rather than advise. It is almost as if this one you met is playing on a scary and terrible mimickry here."

"As for you, lady Kaelara, you are right, of course, it is not up to us to decide who should be where, yet in the general purpose of life, once one has died, one needs to move on and not stay in the place where they died. This sparked my response that they should not be here. In my opinion, it is not healthy. Yet I would freely admit my experience with...hm...spirits...is lacking."
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Post by Kaelara Mentahn »

The adhiel smiled in response to Elaine's own laugh, but as Craghley continued to speak she sobered with an utter stillness that caught one of her hands mid-tap upon the counter. She allowed the other woman time to speak, gathering her words carefully behind a somber gaze that seemed briefly hesitant. He must be warned, but is he even in danger?

"I cannot decipher the muddle of the many spirits in this place, but traces of important history over the past months cannot be denied. The.." she paused here, considering the words she might use, then denying caution for the blunt truths of opinion. "Oneist guards have found themselves accosted, at times, late in the evenings, by beings unknown... but considered to be wolves. What disturbs me of your words, sir, is that last evening another guard perished in a similar manner." A little coldness crept into her voice, "While I would not cause harm myself, I cannot help but marvel that none of my kind have found themselves harmed, despite the fact most bar their doors after nightfall. In a manner, it rather seems the city protects those it has claimed as its own..."

That pert chin lifted slightly, not expecting the strangers to understand the situation, or her unpitying response towards the guards circumstances. The Honestus' presence remained a constant reminder to her of the city's origins, and though the regulations and rules had lightened substantially... to her mind, it would not be so difficult for such freedoms to be stripped once more.

"I speak not of just spirits, Elaine... but you will see, later." Thoughts of Angelo and Seth flickered in her mind, uncomfortably, though she did not intend the words to be quit as ominous as they emerged, attempting to soften and belay the discussion with a quiet comment. "Perhaps he can accompany us, when we go to Annuir, but for now..."

Looking squarely at Craghley, she folded her arms about her slender waist, ignoring the reference to the man she didn't know.

"Do you believe this child bears you any ill will? Do you believe she would seek to, 'teach you a lesson'?"
Avatar courtesy of www.allavatars.com - Electra
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley thanked the Mother for Elaine's presence; she seemed much more comfortable to be around than this stern and slender adhiel with her arms folded imperiously before him. Kaelara may have stood almost a foot shorter than him, but she had a mature bearing which made him feel a little like a scolded bairn once more.

Elaine wrote:"I fear we are indeed dealing with a multitude of beings here. Blackbird does not sound remotely like this girl you met, Craghley. There was no hunger in her, but a need to help her father. She did have a companion, but that one was there for protection rather than advise. It is almost as if this one you met is playing on a scary and terrible mimickry here."

"Ay find that reassuring... that not all that goes on here is malign. Did you meet this Blackbird but once?"

Kaelara wrote:Looking squarely at Craghley, she folded her arms about her slender waist, ignoring the reference to the man she didn't know.

"Do you believe this child bears you any ill will? Do you believe she would seek to, 'teach you a lesson'?"

Craghley tucked his purchases safely into his sporran. It was a question which he himself needed time to consider. A question he'd been unomfortable finding an answer to.

"Ay cannae be sure. Aye... and nae. Ay donnae think she'll harm me if Ay go by her 'rules', even if Ay lose at this game tonight. But Ay saw her angry just the once when my friend upset her... and she seemed ready to dae harm.
"She still scares the living daylights outta me, though."

Now Craghley was the one who folded his arms, though he remained otherwise relaxed in his stature.

"Ay'd like tae hear about this 'Annuir', m'lady. What would interest me sae concerning it?"
Last edited by Craghley on Sun May 25, 2008 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine frowned, bringing a finger to her lips in thought. The multitude of possibilities was astounding, to say the least, yet the simplest of views was often the true one and as such she simply had to assume right now that not all spirits meandering in Pax were of good intent.

"I have only met Blackbird once, yes." She confirmed, nodding slowly. "There was certainly a promise to meet again, since she gave me very clear instructions on whom or what to seek out. It seems to me that she as manifestation is recruiting the right people to set this entire situation back on track. Yet she does not hold enough power to do anything but appear and speak wit us, otherwise you'd think she had done more, wouldn't you?"

Yet...

Elaine tilted her head towards Craghley. "Yet this girl you met seems to be capable of considerable more? Your voice...tells of a distinct impression she made. But I agree." She turned to Kaelara. "Let us put all the pieces together, please. If there is anything I have learned from the Citadel, it's that withholding information is quite a bit more deadly than spilling it."

She made a face, remembering all the time they'd had to confront and defeat the Changer before it abducted her. It was only after that crisis that everything finally came together and she'd be damned if she would let that happen again.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

A flicker of respect traced her brow, lifting eyebrows and easing eyelids over alert eyes. This Craghley lacked that brash hastiness she had come to expect from men, both human and achadhiel.

"A common web seems to bind us and our situations... our knowledge. Perhaps, we should pursue the truths available, before dwelling on what we do not know. Better to save our imaginings for a moment when there is nothing but a wall before us?"

There was an innocence and sense of openness about Elaine that seemed to put to shame the inner doubts and suspicions the Adhiel shopkeeper harbored. While Kaelara could recognize one aspect of truth in the other's call for openness, her own experiences had taught her much differently. The desire to trust left her indecisive, ambivalent, her thoughts and instincts warring, until, the words suddenly emerging from her lips....

"Shall we go to Annuir? It is, perhaps, easier to see than describe," she added for Craghley's benefit, "but while few visit this 'inn', the proprieter is a... friend." As if her question had decreed that as their next course of action, she moved back through the little swinging door, moving to the stairway.

"Maury? Watch the shop for me, will you? And if Angelo comes seeking me, tell him I've gone to Annuir." Her thoughts suddenly consumed with what she had learned of Seth, the Adhiel's peremptory control of the situation seemed only natural to her. It didn't occur to her the others might resent her shuffling their little discussion along, and the thought they might not follow her reasonings didn't occur but belatedly, as she turned to face them once more.

OOC: Thought I'd get us moving along, but feel free to be as belligerent as Kae if you want to stay and talk. IC consequences if necessary, hehe. ;) If this is alright with you, I'll just start a new thread for Annuir as a continuation thread?
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: 'tis fine by me :) Makes sense to carry it onto another thread.

[hr][/hr]

"Agreed. Let us go. As for knowledge, all of wha' I ken is both of yours as weel. And I appreciate your help."

It took its time, but the mention of Annuir gave Craghley cause to refer back to his conversation with Calavis' gang that morning. Annuir... the owner, 'Seth'. Friends with the businesswoman...

"Kaelara Mentahn?" he enquired. He almost smacked himself in the face for taking so long to connect the dots. "And the owner of this Annuir place, he be called Seth?
"Some o' us spoke wi' a group o' youths this morn and they mentioned both of ye. Mentioned this place used tae be called Selderine."
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

ooc
Let's move then :)

ic
Even while they were getting ready to move to Annuir more pieces of the puzzle kept falling into place. It was amazing to see how the city was working as a whole to bring people and facts to one final conclusion.

Yet we still have to see what that conclusion will be
. Elaine frowned, worried at yet another Citadel-situation.

"Let us go, then. Please, let me follow your steps." She picked up her staff and brushed her dress down. With a bit of luck she'd get home today with enough information to figure out what it was she was supposed to do here for Blackbird and her father.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Craghley's outburst drew an amused glance from Kaelara as she stepped towards Elaine, one hand scooping up the leather-bound book on the counter before offering her arm to the other woman. "Here, Lady, if you will allow me..."

Her response to Craghley was a trifle more measured, and punctuated briefly by the light sound of tread across the verandah.

"I am, and he is, and it was." The revelation that her name had been bandied about discomfited her somewhat, and she fell silent for a little ways as they proceeded along the street.

Continued here

[[Done]]
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Locked for skilling
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Archived and skilled :)

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”