Kitty's Council - Thalas Manse 26th GT

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Kitty's Council - Thalas Manse 26th GT

Post by Ashari »

On the return from Andolin's office Ashari had stopped in to get a few supplies as well as food because Ketch had requested it. Who was she to deny him the simple pleasure of some snacks? This was especially the case if he was bringing friends. Who were these 'friends'? She wasn't about to question his motives. Perhaps it was because he'd saved her life after attempting to save Ulder's. If anyone was an unsung hero in the Citadel the unnamed street rat was.

Relaxing made up the majority of the rest of her evening at home. She spent some time moving things about in her bedroom, adjusting until it was more to her liking. It wasn't the room Iorn and she had shared. She'd left that master bedroom unoccupied until renovations began. It needed to be entirely redone. Everytime she lay in the bed and look up all she could remember was Iorn's hands on her body and how much she wished to curl up, fall asleep, and awake to find him next to her. It would never be... no matter how she wished.

Finding Aerin busy in her own room, Ashari chimed in only briefly. "I'm going to lay down for a bit. Wake me in a few marks," she asked and disappered back to her room. This room was the second largest on the second floor, and it had a beautiful view of the Citadel and it's gardens ajoining with her own gardens which were looking rather lack-luster as of late. She sighed as the setting sun cast long tangled shadows from the bushes making for them to look like monsters as she slipped off into a state of sleep.

When the girl awoke her she rose to dress for the third time that day. She hadn't fully undressed from before, as she was still wearing a light chemise, but she pulled on a robe while moving around the room. "I'm having some people over this evening. I'd appreciate it if you'd keep to the upper floor," she said followed directly by a yawn. Already Ashari was stepping into her authoritive shoes. Ushering the girl out of her room so she could finish dressing, Ash pulled on a comfortable, but light, sweater of charcoal grey and tight black leggings beneath that stretched and accomodated for her supple form. She pushed the sleeves of her sweater up to her elbows and then swiftly moved from her room to the kitchen downstairs to gather the necessary items.

Food was piled atop a platter, as well as utensils and a few solid clay tankards which she carried into the private den off the dining room. Sumptuous furnishings meant for comfort of those living there, rather than sophistication or appearance were placed casually around a low table. There was a somewhat threadbare couch and several chairs, a few more of which could be pulled from the near-by office if necessary. She set down the cheese round that she'd picked up from Simple Pleasure's earlier and set a sharp knife next to a hard sausage which she sliced carefully to leave six or seven pieces ready, before setting out a pile of plates. She returned to the kitchen and grabbed a few bottles of wine which she set delicately on the table.

Gravetide was fast approaching, barefoot but for socks, Ashari made her way to the front foyer and lounged on the bottom steps awaiting a knock or noises from her house to indicate that Ketch was allowing himself into another entrance.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The guests did not arrive until well into the third mark of the Gravetide, Ketch appearing first, peeking into the room Ashari sat in, and grinned. "I never understood why people insist on locking their houses. Or closing the windows. It just makes me spend a few flickers tinkering with the lock, when I could already have been inside." He slipped inside and plopped down into a chair, draping a leg over the armrest stretching much like a cat would. "Missed me?" Ketch' boots were smudged with some black and oily substance, his face covered in caked dust, the whites of his teeth showing brightly in contrast to his darkened skin. "The others will be here shortly. She insisted they make sure nobody followed them, and grandpa can't move across the rooftops like some people we know."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Having been sitting in the front foyer when Ketch arrived, it made it rather difficult for him to easily slip into a chair, as there was no such furnishings in the main hallway. Infact, it was rather sparse aside from a table along the staircase. However, at his appearance Ashari rose from her position on the bottom step and lead him into the rear den where they could lounge privately in wait for his other friends. "As if I'd bother locking my doors, Ketch. What do I have to fear?" Ashari was increasingly confident around the thief. They had a bit of a game going, over who was the more ballsy of the two. Often, it was Ketch. He did have some magnificent stories. "Of course I missed you," she gave a flitacious grin matched with sly appraising eyes. "But I might miss you more if I ever saw you cleaned up." A soft giggle escaped her full lips.

Talk went to the coming 'others'. She assumed Red would be among them, and as he suggested a she her logic brought her to the deadly redhead. Good. She thought to herself. If anyone was going to be useful, it would be her. Plus, Ashari didn't always enjoy being the only woman about. Sausage parties could get old. "Are you hungry?" Her gray orbs drifted to the table where she'd placed some foods out as he requested. "I've got fruit as well, but I didn't think to grab it." It was in the kitchen and easily retrieved if necessary. In the meantime, Ash uncorked one of the bottles of wine and poured two of the tankards half full. She handed him one, and took a sip of her own. The red wine was strong, but it wasn't amazing. Another winery attempting to take business from Kislovan, and not doing a good job aside from it being cheaper and more readily available.

"So who have you invited?"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Ketch decided to act the part he was given, and raised his arm, sniffing at the arm-pit and then doing so again, looking at Ash with puzzlement in his eyes. "But, it's only been a month since my last bath, mooooooooom. Do I have to do it again so soon?" Then with an impish smile and a glance towards the ceiling he added. "Perhaps, if I had some company. I am getting old and it is hard to reach certain places." It was a dirty lie, and he was all too happy to demonstrate by reaching a right hand around the back of his neck, under his chin and then scratched his right cheek, grinning at the Guildmistress of the burned Red Rose Guild.

Ketch shook his head at the offer of food, but accepted the tankard, make a small grimace as he took a hearty pull, the wine obviously not quite to his liking, even though it was not that bad. "I don't think invited is the correct word. More like informed about what happened and then arranged for a meeting to give more details. Red is coming over, and she should bring old Wrinkles Hammond with her. He's the one after whom Michael went initially. When we foiled his plans and sent him a warning he upped the ante and the killing started. That boy never liked losing."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari laughed giddily at Ketch's movement. "You're such a brat," she said, picking up one of the sliced pieces of bread and tossing it at him gently but still hoping to hit his face what with his curious pose at the moment. "Maybe I can help you out with that bath later tonight," Ash purred. If there was one thing she could say about Ketch, it was that his flexibility had numerous advantages.

"And don't make such a horrid face, I've better wine I'm just not wasting it on you lot," she stuck out her tongue at him but burst into some more laughter directly after. "So Red and Wrinks, I expected as much. Anyone else?" There was always a desperate hopefulness in Ashari that one of these times, when she ran across a member of Tom's gang, that Alice would be among them. It was no different tonight. Part of her wanted to find the orc herself, and award Ketch with his friend again. She knew he missed him, for he'd been the family that the thief hadn't had. Now with Tom under attack and the Crane's being torn apart, it was something she thought of often. No one had found the orc's body, just like no one had found Ulder's. Was it such a stretch the beast might've lived.

Once apon a time she would've relished the idea of slaying one of his race. Now, she had learned, that they weren't all the oafish killing machines. Some had grace and knowledge and insight - and magick. She couldn't deny that the other reason she wanted to find the shaman was because of his magick. The Fog had been devastating in it's effectiveness. It was something she wished to learn to do herself.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The bread did hit Ketch,'s cheek, the young thief grinning and picking it up as he started counting out loud" One, two, three, four......and gotcha." With a brush of his fingers he dusted off the bread and bit into it without hesitation, even though it had been on the floor just flickers earlier. "Goodie, I'll bring along Rogers. He is my wooden ducky and I do not think you two have ever met." He grinned and finished the slice of bread she had tossed at him, opening his mouth wide and pointing at it with a finger. "More, and aim better this time."

"Red and Wrinks, and possibly a few others. Don't know really. Red is organizing everything, cause she knows where everyone is. Michael has us scattered all over the city, and it goes doubly so tonight." He paused, as if remembering something, slapping his own forehead sharply. "Fuck, you don't know yet, do you? Our little war has been nothing but a skirmish compared to what happened today. Seems like Imperial Secretary Silk is dead. Imperial Scouts attacked him today and Michael tried to use it as an advantage and go after Tom's holdings. Then the Scouts turned on him. Then the Blues came to their senses and started arresting everybody and killing those who resist. Riots last year would be a child's play compared to this, but people aren't looting like they did then. It is Scouts, Silk's killers and Blues, along with Michael's goons out there. Spilling blood like it is sand."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari giggled as the piece bounced off his face and landed inaudibly on the floor between them. Eating food off the ground was no big event to the girl, as she'd spent a good portion of her adolescence surving on thing that made one's stomach rumble at the thought of bread only having spent a few flickers on a dusty floor. As he sat back and pointed to his mouth she laughed some more and did as requested. Grabbing another piece of the hearty bread she gave it an underhand toss in the hopes if it arcing in a way that would allow the nimble thief to catch it in his mouth. "Your wooden ducky, eh? I suppose there could be room for him, too." Ash said slylu.

She took a deep pull from the wine amist laughter that almost caused her to spurt it out, but she managed to keep her own. More sobering news came next, and it caused the mage's eyes to widen. "Silk? Silk is dead?" Alarm raised the hairs on her arms. "By who? The hand of an Imperial scout?" The death of Silk would change much, and powers would shift. "By the gods... I can't believed I missed all that in my galavanting around the city today." There had been more Blues about, but she'd barely registered it. Once upon a time the thiefy Ashari would've known something was going on. She needed to not lose that street-smart edge. It gave her a leg up against the courtiers who knew nothing of the underworld battles.

"What holdings did they go after of Tom's?" Her mind was busily reconsiling details and tucking them away in favor of asking questions now before the rest of the party arrived. "And how many of Michael's men got taken in?.. is there a chance it might put a bit of a damper on his attacks, or you think he's gonna keep pushing it?" She asked curiously, wanting very much to get Ketch's opinion. Ash took another gentle sip of her wine as he responded.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Ketch indeed managed to catch the second piece of bread as it sailed through the air, munching on it, though the fact his mouth was full did not prevent him from speaking around the bread. "I have to warn you he has never seen a naked girl before, so if you do decide you do not want your clothes to get wet, I'll ask Rogers to skip that bath. I do that to preserve his innocence in this wicked city. I hope you understand." Throughout the little speech, the young thief bore a serious face, one that could be seen upon well-to-do gentlemen as they lectured the uneducated masses as to why they were doing something that was to be a common good. Then he grinned and wriggled himself into a comfortable position upon the chair.

"I did not say Silk was dead. I said it seems like he is dead. And from what I heard, it would not be the first time he was supposed to start pushing the daisies upward." He shrugged and took another sip of the wine, not quite finding it to his liking, much preferring the beer and whiskey, but managing not to grimace as hard this time. "They say Manyana herself killed the old bastard. Either with sword, a dagger or arrow. And one story I heard says they both were fighting in the rigging of a ship in the harbor and fell to their death. But, you know how those things go. A friend of my cousin's mother-in-law says he heard it from a guy....... Until I see the old blighter's body I won't believe it."

The other question caused Ketch to become silent, as the nimble thief pondered how and what to reply. He was saved the need, by the knock upon the doorframe in which stood a woman dressed in dark green blouse and brown trousers, only her hair betraying her as the infamous Red. "Good evening, and if you don't mind that I think Chris would like to answer those questions." Behind her a pair of men stood, the taller one's face obscured by a hood of the heavy cloak he wore. The man pushed back the hood to reveal himself, his face bearing resemblance to Thomas Crane, though younger by quite a number of yahren. He was tall and muscular, though the visible bags under his eyes showed he had not slept very well lately. He smiled at Ketch who straightened in the chair, eyes wide with surprise.

The third visitor was old and wrinkled to an almost ridiculous degree, barefoot and dressed in breeches reaching about half-way down his calves, Well worn shirt covered his torso as the man merely stood, waving to Ketch and moving silently to sit by the wall, settling comfortably. The other man moved and took a seat as well, Red settling on the armrest of his chair, taking up protective position by her boss' son Christopher Crane. "I hope you understand that I can not tell you which holding have been attacked. I can tell you that my brother Michael made what could be a fatal mistake in our conflict. He no longer has the upper hand and in a few days we will be ready to strike back. But, first I need to hear about what happened at the Red Rose Guild the other night."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"So... he might not be dead, then," she said. "Such a shame to have missed their battle. I imagine it would've been stupendous." The mage said, already thinking over how she imagined the Tyrant fighting Manyana. In her mind it'd be simple enough, in a one-on-one battle for the Scoutswoman to win, but.. she didn't truely know what Silk was capable.

"Red, Wrink and Chris," Ash lifted herself with great agility from the sofa she'd been sitting on, and motioned to the available seats, of which there were several. "Pleasure to see you all again, though my apologies on the timing and subject matter of it." She sat herself back down, and gave Ketch a short look, before appraising the others.

Chris's comment of not being able to disclose any information almost felt like a scold, but she allowed it to pass. There was no sense in fighting over what information ought to made available to the thief. It was very telling that Chris had come at all. Now she wished she gotten better provisions. Suddenly her small buffet seemed rather uninspiring. Ought to have expected someone important to show.. of course if I'd gotten the good one it would've just been myself, Ketch, Red and Wrinks. Such moments of self-doubt were becoming all the more common. Ash was going to need to get a handle on it.

"I'm not sure how much I can tell you, aside from the fact that when I arrived the building was already ablaze. I imagine that Michael expected me to be there, but.. I'm not entirely sure. I would also think he'd realize that I'd be at the Coronation. Either way, someone was sent to burn the place," here she looked at Ketch. "Ketch could probably tell you more."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Till I see him dead, I ain't believing it is so. Even if he does not show up, I'd rather assume he was alive and hiding then consider him dead and be surprised when he comes back." There was a shadow of something not normally seen in Ketch's eyes as he spoke about Silk, his gaze shifting minutely, muscles in his shoulders tensed ever so slightly. It lasted only until the subject was changed by the trio's arrival, for by the time they were all seated Ketch was back to his old cheery self, keeping quiet and munching on apiece of cheese and some bread he somehow grabbed while Ashari was greeting the guests.

There was an almost unnoticeable frown on Chris' face as Ashari pinned the Red Rose Guild fire to his brother, though he did not interrupt her, nodding and glancing at Ketch who shrugged. "I never saw much, though I know the fire had help. Even without seeing the bastard who did it, I have never seen a building catch fire so quickly. Luckily I was in my room, getting ready to go out that evening. Heard the footsteps in the alley and saw someone run by just before the fire started. He had a pitchbende. Would have gone after him, but I ain't fireproof. Tried to get Aeris out, but she was not in her room, so I assumed she was not there and escaped round the back before the fumes got me. Then she found me."

Chris' frown deepened, the muscular man exchanging a glance with Red and nodding after a flicker or so. "Though we can not be sure it was my brother Michael, he is the most likely culprit. Even without this crime he has done quite enough in the past to earn himself a rather harsh punishment. And with Silk gone, or at least in hiding and the Blues after his ass I think the time has come to make him pay for Will's murder as well as the deaths of all those others. You four are my most valuable assets and to you I turn for help in planning his demise. So, my question to you is do we make him suffer first or do we just remove the little bastard for good?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

There was a time and place for discussing Silk with Ketch and this was neither. She decided she'd ask him about it when they were alone and when it didn't matter that his vulnerability on the subject might show. Though, Ash did marvel at the speed with which he recovered, almost to the point where she questioned whether there had been a weakness at all.

Chris, it seemed, was equally proficient in covering his feelings - only so far as showing them briefly before muscling them behind a visage of steel. Men could almost be too easy to read at times.

Ketch offered up the details of what he knew to happen. He went so far as to include a mention of Aeris, a name that caused for Ashari to visibly wince. She made no move to cleverly cover the pain it caused her, but she did chose to look down into her lap, contemplating her hands which rested upon it as if within them there was answer or inspiration. Neither came and reluctantly she chanced a look back up to Chris.

"Though I would be more than interested in seeing him suffer, I find that when one takes too much care in ensuring equalled pain in retrobution they often lose their prey." It was a typical story... bad guy finally catches the good-guy only to allow his own morbid fascination with cruelty guarantee the hero freedom. Ashari wasn't the bad guy here. "I'd rather see him floating in the harbor than dangling above a spikepit," she finished, her teeth clamped together as her minds-eye filled with images of Michael's soon-to-be demise. "My only question is, in doing so, who might seek revenge for his death as we do for Will's, Aeris's and the other persons who've died by his word?"

Although she held a great hatred for Michael, one she hadn't had before, she couldn't even begin to understand the complexities of feelings that Chris must've been feeling. They were brothers after all. Fratricide was no light matter. "And what of Tom?" She hadn't heard news of the patriarch in some time - aside from his departure from the city.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Good questions all. And you will forgive me if I reply to them in reversed order." Chris glanced at Red and then at the food, the so far silent assassin nodding and moving to get him a slice of bread and some bread as he briefed Ashari on the situation, or at least parts he felt he could tell her. "My father is still out of town. In Dort to be precise and it is through his efforts there that we have lasted this long. Without the money his efforts have generated we could not have funded this fucking war for this long. And even that would not have been enough without our western allies, though he has been quiet as of late."

The next question cause Christopher to show his emotions clearly once more, his face a mask of pain and worry, with just a hint of guilt in his eyes. "I think we should be safe from retribution if we kill the little fuck. I am more worried what happens if we fail. He has already killed William and Tiffany has gone missing recently. I am worried he has her and that he might kill her if we do not off him fast enough." He frowned and took a bite of bread chewing it before proceeding. "We need to be careful as Blues are real upset after what happened today. Mike has messed up and they don't like the wedgie he gave them. There is a danger that we might attract too much attention if we strike right now and that the Blues will clear both our organizations from the Citadel. And I would very much like to avoid that." It was then that Red spoke for the first time. "What if we lure him out somehow? Offer him something he can't resist and see if he bites?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Tiffany is missing?" Ash felt the rise in her voice to alarm, but she cleared her throat, trying not to bring more attention to what was likely already an uncomfortable situation. "Ahem," she amended before continuing. "For how long?" Tiffany was a sweet girl. She was an innocent girl. She was the sort of girl who coordinated her outfits to the room she was going to be in, making sure that every little detail was taken care of in a house where she was surrounded by men. Ashari had meant to stop by and see her. She was always planning on it, but she never quite got around to it. After Tom had left she'd almost assumed the girl had gone with him. Assumptions, Ash.. you know what they say about those...

She looked at Red as she chimed in. "But.. what would he want so badly that he wouldn't be able to resist?" Ash frowned. She felt as though she was at a disadvantage, not knowing the enemy as well as she might like. "Tom, I'd imagine... but he's safe away in Dort - where ought stay until we get this mess figured out."

Ashari swirled the wine in her tankard, and watched as it evenly washed oveer the sides of the interior of the mug. "What about me?" She asked. "If it was him who sent the order on the guild, then it wasn't just to rile me up. He wanted me taken care of." The mage, though strong-willed and powerful, was so very young. Vulnerability shone in her bright gray eyes. "How well is he protected?.. And who are the guards that surround him? And.. what sort of weapons do they carry? Does he have any sort of magickal training - or amulets of protection?" Her interest was piqued - an idea was forming. It was the plan to be his undoing, and it if done correctly it would never be traced back to her or any of Tom's gang.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Only a few days, but long enough to have us worried." Christopher paused, chewing his lower lip. "I have not told father, as I think Michael took her in an effort to lure him back to the city. My brother is unpredictable, though I doubt he would truly hurt Tiffany, as she is the only one whom he showed even a hint of affection to. But, Thomas would not want to risk being wrong and losing a daughter. And you know what kind of a blow losing him would be to our organization. We can not allow that, even at the cost of making him angry later." He sighed and poured himself a glass of wine, draining it immediately.

Then came a rather interesting moment as every single person in the room pondered who would be the perfect bait and lure for Michael and all five came to the same conclusion. I should do it. Ashari was merely the fastest in voicing such a sentiment, with all others pausing a flicker with their mouths open, and Ketch snapping his jaws shut audibly. "He may have wanted to off me, and set fire to the Guild cause I was inside." He did not look terribly pleased with the suggestion, both Chris and Red looking at him with disapproval, though neither said anything. "He could even be afraid of you, striking when you were away and all."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I agree, Tom shouldn't know, not until we know more. I mean... who's to say Tiffany didn't run off for a bit?" She gave a face that supported this incredulous claim via raised brows and lifted shoulders. Of course, she didn't truely question whether or not Michael had Tiffany somewhere, but it was best if the senior Crane wasn't aware of it, atleast not yet. "More than we might not be able to lose Tom, Tom also cannot lose Tiffany," she said. "Where was she seen last? And... not to be rude, but all things considered why did she not have some manner of guards?"

Ashari's visage mirrored Red's and Chris' as Ketch suggested he was the target. She wanted to tell him no, to tell him she wanted him to remain safe somewhere else. Instead, she nodded. "It's true. Just as he could've meant to take the pair of us out in a single blow. Arguing who was meant to die doesn't change who did," she turned to Chris. "We're losing," she said somberly. "I need to know his weaknesses so I can be prepared. So, let us discuss this like the proper war it is - and lay out everything on the table and argue who gets to be bait later, hmm?

"I'm a mindcrafter, and a damned good one at that. Ketch most likely has me beat as far as sneaky thiefy types go, but I can carry my own. I've not got much by way of weapons skills, but I can defend myself if necessary and have, though I'd rather avoid a sword fight if at all possible.

"So, Chris. Give it to me. Give me his weaknesses... how is he protected? Who are his guards? Does he have magickal protections of any kind?" Ashari repeated her questions, this time with more insistance.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"She had no guards because I though it would make her a better target if some of my men were around. They would not even need to want to strike at her, but rather her guards and she would be in danger. My sister had a peculiar habit of growing attached to my father's men and I am certain she would have tried to protect them personally should an attack happen." Chris shrugged and shook his head. "She had servants and there was no evidence that she was taken by force. She just disappeared one night and never came back. Which means she could be just about anywhere. I've been showing interest in every female corpse for the past week and none of them match her description. So, I assume she is alive and since Michael did not ask for anything in return for her safety, I have to assume she either picked him over us, or he does not have her, or most disturbingly has her and is waiting for a moment to reveal it."

Ketch on the other hand did not like the way Ashari's mind was analyzing the situation and was not too shy to express his dislike. "Yeah, Mike is stupid enough to attack your place and not plan for the chance you might be away. He's a sick bastard and wanted you to lose everything and feel the pain. Had he wanted you dead, he would have gone after you." He sat down, arms crossed before his chest, looking much like a petulant child, and turned away from the conversation, huffing at choice moments. causing Red to shake her head and chuckle.

"Mike's a bit paranoid. I think he does not go alone even to the latrine. Not sure about magickal protection. Probably has some, but I am no mage." Here Red joined the conversation for the first time, adding a bit more information. "His rings. They look like they could be magickal. Don't know where he got those, but he's not the man to carry the same piece of jewelry all the time, yet he does with two of those rings." Chris simply nodded and accepted the woman's words as a fact. "He is guarded by his thugs. They used to be in the same gang before our father rose to his position. Nasty buggers with some experience in causing pain and suffering. As to his main weakness......." Chris sighed and frowned at the thought. "Women. Mike loves having a pretty girl whom he can screw and make miserable any time he wants. That's why he opened Red Banner."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"So you thought her having guards would make her more of a target? - And not more safe?" She asked. For the first time she notably saw the difference between Chris and Tom. There was no way a father, especially a father like Thomas, would leave his only daughter unprotected the way her brother had. Ashari was tempted to reprimand and to suggest that any harm that were to befall Tiffany would be his fault, but she bit her tongue and kept the comment to herself. She might not be able to offer the same restraint if it should turn out that the only female Crane had been hurt due to his neglect.

"If he come after me, Ketch, he would've felt the immediate and cold pain of regret via the closest thing that could've been used as a weapon." He might've huffed and pouted, but Ash felt no pangs of sympathy at his emotions. "Someone very close to me was killed. That alone is reason for me to search him out. It is my allegiance to your," here, she turned toward Chris, "Family which stayed my hand initially.

"This turns out to be mutually beneficial, but do not allow your own situation to cloud which is of the utmost importance to me. I will not allow for your father to continue to act like an outlaw in the city which he was most comfortably situated. I cannot promise Tiffany's safety, but I assure I'll do anything and everything I can to find her." Michael's life was now only worth the breath it would take to expell the girl's location.

Red's words were, perhaps, the most helpful. If his rings were magickal amulets of some kind it might prevent her direct mindcrafting. It was possible they were a shield of some kind. "Hmm...." She gave it a thought. "Directly attacking him with force isn't an option, thanks to his thugs. I don't want for there to be any more bloodshd.

"It may also be the case that he cannot be directly influenced by magick."

Ashari paused, sighed, and then took a deep sip of the acidic red wine. She longed for Andolin's brandy and the warmth it filled her stomach with. Their conversation had caused for her to go cold. As the fluid flowed down her throat she considered her options. There was Aerin, she could always be used as bait. The redhead hadn't been overly linked to her as of yet, perhaps Mike wouldn't know. It would put Aerin in harms way... something which Ash wasn't prepared to do.

"Wrinks, what do you think?" The old fisherman had been rather quiet. If it was contemplative then she wanted to know what his thoughts were. "Because, I just might have something brewing, but I'd rather hear everyone's opinions on the matter first.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“Yes, that is precisely what I thought and I stand by it. She was not left without any protection, but men and women watching her were not keeping an eye on her every mark of the day. She is my sister, and she is important to me, but Michael is not quite sane. He is much like a spoiled child with a mean streak even now. Taking away other kids’ toys when he sees they enjoy playing with them. Destroying those same toys if he can’t have them. You know the kind. Well, imagine such a child with a gang of thugs behind him. That’s Michael.” He paused and sighed, going through his pockets and digging a cigarette case, pulling a pre-rolled cigarette and lighting it upon a candle. “I did not want him to see Tiffany as my toy and be eager to take her away, or in the worst case scenario kill her so I would be hurt. She had servants and maids, but no bodyguards. Everything was kept as close to the state before the feud as possible in the mansion.”

“Do not let your allegiance stop you, as Michael has ceased being part of this family a while ago, and has burnt the last bridge back when he ordered Bill killed. The person who did the foul did has met an untimely end thanks to Red, but Michael has yet to pay for it.” He drew the cigarette smoke deeply, and continued ticking off items one by one. “If you do manage to find Tiffany, both me and my father will be very grateful and in your debt.” There was more behind those words, but Chris was certain Ashari knew the full extent of his words. ”As for going after Mike, well brute force is still not out of the question, but before I resort to that I need to be certain it would be a success and that I would not lose more in that attack than I can afford. He is not the only person with his beady little eyes on my father’s assets. Others would like to move in as well, though they have kept out. We are still strong enough to at least hurt them, if not win an open conflict.”

Wrinks was startled by the mention of his name, though the old fisherman quickly recovered, and went back to chewing his thumb. “I don’t know much about Michael, other than he had been the one behind the whole mess. He started it all, by going after me, or at least the information I hold about Tom’s business. And I have been pretty cut off from most of this war as me and the boys continued with our part of the business, and kept the profits flowing and money pouring into the war. I do know one thing. Michael has a huge stash of good under the Red Banner. He kept most of the stuff he smuggled into the city in a back room, and under guard. Not sure how useful that is now that the place got torched.” He shrugged. “Sorry, girlie, but I did not spend much time in the city lately. You need a thing moved in or out of the city, or from one part of it to another, then I’m your man. Other than that……”
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Chris had been quick to jump on her insinuation. Ashari's jaw flexed as he spoke about his brother and explained his particular character flaws. The fact that he was so sure of what Michael wanted - and what he might do - suggested that he was closer to what her previous conclusion had found. He had a head for this, for his father's business. "What of those maids and servants? Did they hear or see anything - anything at all?" She wondered if she might go to speak with them. Maybe there was something she could get out of them that normal interrogation techniques had missed.

The junior Crane's statement about Michael not being a part of the family caused her to nod in finality. She fully understood his meaning. All she could do was hope that Tom felt the same way. It would appear she'd need to rely on the words of those who she'd known to surround him - something she wasn't entirely comfortable with, but it would have to do.

"I agree, I don't want for you or Tom to seem weakened. If anything, I'd want for the take down of Micheal to strengthen your forces, and prove that the Crane's aren't taking anyone's shit."

Wrinks didn't think he had much to add, but suggesting the Red Banner made her think of Aerin. That, in itself, made her very aware of how tied-in her plot was becoming. Everything was linked together, almost eerily. "That's good. Means Michael must be hurting, not just for the loss of his house of women - but also for having possibly damaged goods."

The scent of Chris's tobacco hung in the air. For the second time that day she was reminded of Iorn's bad habit. Setting down her emptied cup her palms rubbed together. Thieving fingers passed over the texture of her skin as she alternatively opened and closed her hands. "I have a girl, she's a real beaut. She's a redhead. Think any of Michael's guys might have a sweet spot for an innocent farm girl from the Baron estates?" A brow raised while gray eyes surveyed her council. "If she can get one alone, I can suggest he kill Michael upon a command... maybe something ol' Mikey has a fondness of saying? Some sort of phrase or.. I don't know, something he usually calls a girl? Hell, I could even tell the bastard to kill him as soon as he says hello."

Ashari leaned forward, placed her elbows on her knees and knitted her fingers together as her thumbs did circles around each other. "He won't question his own man. None of us need be involved. Worst case scenario, this tactic doesn't work." The brunette licked her full lips. "Best case scenario his little gangster knows where Tiffany is, tells us, and then goes and kills his boss." Gray orbs shifted over to Red. Her opinion was rather important seeing as out of all of them she was most used to killing. "Midland wise the thug doesn't know where Tiff is at, but still kills Michael, and then we can offer a reward for the girlie's location." As far as she was concerned, the idea had some serious merit without a lot of negatives. "What do we say? I'm not playing soft here, I want him dead."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“No, she just went missing one night. The window to her bedroom was wide open in the morning, but none of her clothes were missing. All the dresses and skirts and blouses are still there. They have been working for my father for yahren and Red spoke to each of the servants in person. None of them heard or saw anything strange, or at least none spoke of it. I kept an eye on their movements since then, but none of them met with Michael’s men. I do not think they are working for him.” There was a clear sorrow in Chris’ eyes and proper concern, though without actually looking into the man’s eyes, []Ashari[/b] could not know if it was genuine or is Thomas’ once middle and now eldest son was a very good actor.

Red shook her head when Ashari mentioned that Michael could be suffering from damaged goods along with the loss of his house of ill repute. “He managed to dig the place up. Some mages helped the workers and cleared the rubble to enable his men to reach the storage. He is still keeping all the stuff down there, but it is likely he will move it somewhere else soon.” She did not sound too sure and was not trying to hide the fact that she was neither happy nor energetic, the web of informants she had cultivated over the yahren greatly reduced in the past months. Even her name was no longer as terrifying as it has been in the past, the damage Thomas’ empire sustained, having a great impact on her reputation, as even the deadly Red could not prevent that mutt of a Michael from almost taking over the city.

The plan had all four of Ashari’s visitors fall silent, Red tapping her lips with a fingertip as Chris followed the smoke rings he made, Ketch squirming in his seat uncomfortably. “I’m not sure how many of Mike’s men are still alive and thus I can not tell you who would be a good target. We need to wait for things to calm down a bit before I can give you a name.” Chris turned to Red and went on without pausing, accepting Ashari’s plan and building upon it as he spoke. “Red, learn what you can of Michael’s goons and pick a name for our friend by tomorrow night. Someone close to him, but not too smart…. Heck, why am I telling you this, you know what is needed.” Ketch was next on the list. “Ketch, you try to find out as much as you can about the place where Michael is going to move his stuff from the Banner. If the murder plan fails, destroying his goods may push him into acting and then we can shape the things so he attacks where and when we want him.” Wrinkles was left for the last, though Chris hardly forgot him. “I may need you tomorrow for a few errands. Certain cargo may need to be moved into the city quickly. Stay somewhere where I can reach you.” At last it was Ashari’s turn. “What else do you need for this plan to work? My resources are not as great as they once were, but I can get you almost anything you could possibly want. Just say it.”
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Yes, Morgan and Becca were the mages," she said. "Students from the University. I'd imagine they had little idea of what precisely they were helping to uncover, but my girl was there, too. Maybe she saw something or heard something that she's not even aware of." Ash wondered if she might want to wake the girl and ask her right then, but thought better of it. They would have time to talk about it tomorrow. It wouldn't be until then that she had information about Mike's guys anyway, so it would do them little good to question her in the middle of the night. "I'll ask her as soon as the opportunity presents itself."

Her vision switched from Chris to Ketch and gave him a soft smile. He was uncomfortable but she couldn't put her finger on why. The middle Crane son was quick to give orders to everyone present with the authority that proved his capability to stand in his father's place. At the end of it all, though, it was to Ashari that he turned - questioning what she needed. It made her feel his equal. "What I need is likely to depend heavily on what sort of boys Mike pals around with. Right this flicker I can't think of anything that would be overly helpful, but if anything comes to mind you'll be first to know."

The sorceress rose from her seat, expecting those present who planned on leaving to do the same. "You're, of course, welcome to spend the night here rather than going out in the dead of night to draw attention to yourself," she said to Chris with a smile. "I'm sure Red is more than capable of protecting you all, but one need not take unnecessary risks. There are several guest rooms available," she offered. Ash gave the group an inviting smile. "As for myself, it's been a long day and I won't be much use to anyone if I can't keep my head about me with proper rest."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

When Ashari mentioned that Aerin had been at the Red Banner ruin, Chris’ back straightened, as this new bit of information gave his vague plan some form, and made the choice of which of Mike’s men to target that much easier. One could almost see the wheels turning behind eyes of the eldest surviving son of Thomas Crane, as he plotted and schemed and prepared the fatal downfall of his rabid half-brother. “Ask her sooner rather than later. If she was there and if men Mike assigned to watch over the ruin saw her they are our prime targets. They will suspect less and will even think she is an ally. Try to find out just who was there and then Red can work on providing your girl with any information that could give her an edge.”

Chris rose along with Ashari shaking his head as he politely declined the young thief’s offer. “I’ll seek my own bed if you do not mind, and I will have to take Red with me.” Wrinks looked up and glanced at Ashari, then Chris and then back at Ashari. “I’ll take you up on your offer. I’m not looking forward to going all the way to the docks this night, what with all the fighting and edgy guards. Just give me a blanket and a couch and I am fine.” The other two quickly got ready to leave and departed into the night as silently as they came.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

It gave her great pleasure to watch the cogs turning in Chris's mind. It was a familiar look, one she'd recalled seeing on Thomas when they discussed the Red Rose and it's opportunities. "Sounds like a plan," she said. "I'll ask her in the morning and pass it along to Wrinks." Here, she looked toward the seasoned fisherman. "If you want to hang around while asking her maybe you'll catch something I'd miss," she suggested.

From there it could be passed along to Red, and then Red could either come deliver the information to Ashari herself or pass it along to Ketch or Chris, or even Wrinks. She wasn't sure of the chain of command from this point and wasn't comfortable suggesting who ought do what.

Ashari walked her guests to the door and wished them well. "Blessed be your paths," she offered at their departing and then she went about gathering up some blankets for Wrinks. The sorceress couldn't help but offer a room again, but eventually understood that he wished to take up on the sofa. She made the one in the room they were in as comfortable as she could with a blanket that was a good deal softer than the ones he'd given to she and Ketch the night they'd almost drowned. "Sleep well." Ash said with a smile and then left him alone to fall asleep.

"Ketch... are you going to stay?" What their relationship entailed was difficult to get at times, but she wanted to talk to the thief if he had no other places to scurry off to. Her fingers wrapped around the railing of the sweeping stairs leading to the second floor with the suggestion they go up.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Wrinks, you know where to find me and Red." The old fisherman nodded and then shook it at Ashari's offer, preferring the couch, as he was not used to the sort of beds he suspected they had here, and would likely wake up sore and stiff, despite the softness of the mattresses. "I'll stick around, just in case I know who she was involved with. That way Red won't have to figure out whom Mike assigned to watch over his stash." He smiled when the blankets were offered, and took them, and sought out his couch, murmuring a good night to them all and dozing off in less than a burn. He snored, though it was little more than a low rumble, a soft wheeze following each exhale.

Ketch arched a brow at Ashari's question, looking at her before shrugging. "Well, I planned on using you to warm my toes tonight, but if you want I can go out in the cold, bleary night, and face the dangerous streets, trying to find a dry and relatively safe corner, where the rats won't bite me and where I will be protected from the cold night winds." He managed not to grin throughout the entire tirade, making a sad and despondent face, sighing and reaching for the door, pretending he was ready to leave.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Just your toes?" Ash waited until his speech ended before asking, though already the smirk was tugging at her lips. She wasn't as adept at preventing them as he was, though she found herself practicing taming her features.

The streets might be safer, she thought to herself. You're not going to tell him. So she wouldn't. There was no reason to. He didn't need to know about Andolin. Ketch didn't need to know that she'd be offered a chance at being Caesari. It could've been an empty promise laced with the right words to seduce her. She still couldn't know. What she did know was that she found herself thinking about Andi and his soft mage's hands.

All of these thoughts were instantaneous and happened without great concentration. It was the end point of what she'd been debating. She couldn't hurt Ketch. She knew that. Ashari held her free hand out, palm up. "I think I might be able to warm more than that," she allowed the grin and awaited his - a smile that always made hers brighter as it reached her eyes. Once her fingers wrapped round his she was tugging him upstairs. She had in mind to wash him up good in the bath, and then the real fun could begin.

Return to “Inner City Archive”