UofM: Summons and Callings: Chryil 26th GT

Moderator: Mods

Tristam

UofM: Summons and Callings: Chryil 26th GT

Post by Tristam »

Professor Moore raised his head for the book on spirit banishment he was reading. So in tune with the wards of the University was he, that he felt the incursion a flicker before the scrying crystals flared to life showing scenes of dark creatures crawling forth from the shadows. Everyone knew Professor Moore was the most paranoid of professors but it was times like these that showed why he was kept in his position. Without hesitation, Professor Moore activated complicated sets of wards and spells pre-cast and waiting for the call to arms.

Corbin

A late night and drinking combined to bring deep sleep to Corbin but the voice that called out was loud and commanding. "Awaken Apprentice! The University is under attack!" Professor Moore's voice boomed out and Corbin could sense a bright light was before his closed eyes. Should he open them, Corbin would see a transparent image of Professor Moore looking down sternly at him.

Morgan

Morgan's slumber was similarly interrupted only Octava's voice not nearly as strident. "Morgan? Morgan, wake up! The University's wards have been breached and I need your help immediately!" Morgan would find transparent image of Ocatava impatiently fretting in his room.

Becca

Mender Abagail was used to keeping odd hours as accidents never keep proper business hours. So she was awake when Becca dropped to look for medical replies. However, it was only a burn after she arrived that an illusion of Professor Peckerton appeared in the infirmary. "Mender Abagail, ah and Becca too." He nodded. "There is some kind of incursion into the University." He said calmly. "I don't know the extent of things but it is best to prepare for injuries."

Merron

His first night in the Unversity had been quiet until this point. No spectral image roused him from slumber but the noise of people milling about in the corridors threatened to wake him.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan had been sleeping only lightly when the call came. For the last couple of nights, strange dreams had come to him: arid desert lands, fashionable dresses, dark places. Thus he was awake in an instant when called, virtually bounding from his bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and reaching for his breeches. The apprentice magus had been getting more and more used to going about in his robes, but if danger was afoot then he preferred the greater mobility afforded by shirt and breeches. As he pulled his clothes on, draping his grey cloak loosely over his shoulders, he checked that his knife was still strapped to his belt and that there was a stick of chalk in his pocket. The tools of Morgan's trade were simple.

"Where are the breaches?" he asked the illusory Octava as he stepped into his boots and buckled them on. "Where should I go?"

Without waiting for a response, he attuned himself to the Aether, willing himself to perceive the familiar web of wardings that interlaced the Tetheric fabric of the University. Still only just returned from dreaming, and with half a yahren of practice behind him, it seemed easy for the dark-haired man to slip into the semi-meditative state of attunement.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin had enjoyed his evening in the Dragon, meeting new people was always a pleasure of his. He had been restrained in his drinking, rather than drowning himself in beer, so whilst he was quite asleep and gently snoring, he did not feel the utter pain that a sudden wake afflicted on the thoroughly drunk.

For a flicker he couldn't place the voice, but it was loud and it was forceful and at some point between being awoken and sitting upright in his bed to wipe the sleep from his eyes he realised that it was Professor Moore. This was confirmed as he opened his eyes and saw an image of the man before him. He could tell it was not actually him, for the image was transparent and so must have been some illusion.

Instinctively Corbin moved swiftly to ground himself, and raise a shield about him. He had no idea why Professor Moore would be appearing before him in the middle of the night, but he suspected that the man was not prone to late-night visitations to discuss his emotional issues. Of course, it was possible that it was not Professor Moore, but some clever trick - but Corbin had a sneaking suspicion that people might find it difficult to replicate the Professor. Even so, he inspected the magical aura of the image to try and confirm what it was, and who it was, as he leapt out of bed.

"Professor?" He asked with surprise. "What is going on?" Given that Corbin's association with the Professor had often involved demons and other nefarious creatures, Corbin suspected the worst.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca had been - well, dithering was the best way to put it; she didn't like to ask too much of Mender Abagail, especially when she put up with Becca bumbling around her ward to pay her back for helping her and Elvin so much. She'd finally made up her mind on how to ask - something along the lines of 'I know a few idiots who might or might not be starting a war on the other side of the world, and I need to know what to take so I can put them back together when they're done - when the illusion appeared.

'I want to be able to do that,' was Becca's first thought when she saw Peckerton, but as he spoke, she straightened slightly and slid one hand to the knife at her belt and the other to the amulet around her neck. "Incursions? Of course - it's been too quiet around here lately." She looked between the illusion and Mender Abagail, then forced herself to let go of both dagger and necklace. "Do you want me here, or do want me to wake Morgan and Mister Motricé and have a look at this -" Becca bit her lip and glanced down at the ring she was wearing. "Never mind, I forgot Himself was in Pax." She could get hold of him - and if it got serious, she would - but that did them no good now. Becca took a deep breath and managed a rather faint smile.. "So, where do you want me?"
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Corbin

Moore would be proud to know his paranoia was rubbing off on Corbin. Within the illusory weave of the Professor, Corbin found one his master's personal runes tucked into it like a signature. If it was a fake, it was a very, very good one.

"I'm not entirely sure." Professor Moore replied with irritation. "I'm sensing multiple spikes of Netheric energies all over the University but I can't pinpoint a source for it. A summoning of this power should leave ripples in the Aether where it tore through but I can't find anything." He grumbled. "Some of the sources are in the student dormitories and you are one the best poised to deal with it. Get the newer students to safety in the dining hall. Redgrave is setting up a defense there." He instructed.

Morgan

Morgan centered and grounded himself easily enough. The wards of the University seemed fine to his vision which would explain why he was awoken by his master and not a fiend from beyond.

"That's the damnable thing." Octava puzzled. "None of my crystal webs have been disturbed. According to all the monitor weaves I've set up there has been no breech yet Professor Moore has sensed Netheric energy spikes all around the University including some in the student's dormitory." Ocatava informed him. "We'll need to do a physical sweep of the outer walls but first you must get the students to safety. Redgrave is setting up a defensive position in the dining hall."

Becca

"We need to get the less advanced students to safety, Becca." Peckerton informed her. "Several of the creatures have been traced to the dormitories. Professor Redgrave is setting up defensive wards in the dining hall. Spread the word to gather there to as many people as you can. Abagail, you can ward the infirmary or retreat to the dinging hall as you see fit. I trust your judgement." Abagail nodded and started collecting jars off of her shelves.
Last edited by Tristam on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Righty oh." Corbin said, as he took in what Professor Moore said, any vestige of sleep or drunkenness slipped from him as he realised the seriousness of what was going on. Netheric energies popping up in the University could mean they were under some sort of attack. Or, of course, it could mean a wizard had been trying to summon a demon or been playing with dangerous magic. Either way it was bad news.

"Is there any indication of what the energies signify?" Corbin asked, as he rapidly pulled on his clothes. He paused only to disregard a pair of yellow trousers which somehow found there way into his hands. Yellow trousers with a blue top almost made him shudder, as he tossed them away and pulled himself swiftly into a black pair, before strapping Keen on around his waist. Just because the signatures were Netheric didn't mean he couldn't hit it with a sword.

His clothing complete, he began inspecting the Aether looking for any strands that might betray a Netheric presence somewhere as he made his way to his door.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca nodded. "Less experienced students to the dining hall. Right." It was strange to think that just a few months ago, it would have been her being chivvied along. 'Advanced is debatable,' she reflected, not event thinking about the irony as she started weaving illusions around herself, rendering herself as close to invisible as she could manage, on the grounds that creatures probably weren't restricting themselves to the dormitories. 'Experienced though, that I definitely am.' "I'll be there in a few burns, and I'll tell anyone I see. Will you be warning the other professors?" She wanted to ask him to warn Imrelinda and Arden, but she wasn't sure he'd appreciate it - and Imrelinda certainly wouldn't appreciate the implication that she wouldn't know something was happening, or that she wouldn't be able to look after herself.

Becca turned to Mender Abagail while her illusions were still half finished, although the net of air she was building it upon was complete. "Will you be here or the dining hall? I'll come and meet you - might be able to put myself to some good use?"

Once she had her answer and her illusions were complete, Becca started for the door, although she hesitated before she left, turning back. "You two be careful, okay?" And then she was gone, making her way to the domitories as quickly as she could.
Last edited by Becca Acerbi on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
Morg

Post by Morg »

The dreamlike acceptance of everything that happened to him was fast fading, replaced by a rather floundering concern. The wards not breached, and yet there is a Netheric presence within the University? What in the Seven Seas is going on? Whatever it was, it was serious. Had to be, for Professor Octava to wake him in the middle of gravetide. Morgan shook himself and sighed.

"I'll check around the living quarters," he replied, drawing a close web of shielding around himself as he did so. "And then I'll meet you at the dining hall." If all goes to plan. Without waiting to be dismissed, the warding student headed for the door. It didn't seem the time or the place for pleasantries.

As he stepped out into the corridor, he raised his hands to draw upon the energies for a standard cantrip, one that would intermingle his voice with cords of air energy and cause it to carry long and loud. Morgan hadn't used the technique since that night at the watchtower, but back then it had saved lives. He tried to keep his voice calm and level when he spoke, at least as far as was possible under the circumstances. "Would all students please make their way to the dining hall immediately!"

Let the bards have their fancy Voice of Command and powers of persuasion. Us sorcerers get things done the old-fashioned way: by shouting really loudly.

That done, he set off at a stride towards the main dormitories.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Corbin

"The spikes are constant in amplitude and mobile." Moore replied. "That means creatures roaming the halls. I'll be coordinating things from my rooms. The wards are set to allow you entry if you need a fall back point. Good luck, Apprentice." Professor Moore's image looked over his shoulder at something, scowled and then winked out.

Corbin saw nothing amiss with the Aether in his rooms nor upon the door.

Morgan

"I'll be beginning the sweep of the outer wards." Ocatava called to Morgan as he left. "I'll send word to the dining hall somehow when I need you." The room became dark once more as the glowing image of the Professor vanished.

Becca

"All the faculty are being informed." Peckerton confirmed. Though she did not know it there was a hierarchy of information: the defense faculty followed by the University Council, followed by advanced students in disciplines useful to the crisis and then the rest of the faculty. Because of her adventures in the Temple of Pan and the Demon Hunt, Becca was informed before Imrelinda.

Abagail continued to take jars and bandages down from her shelf and placed them into a leather satchel. "I'm going to the dining hall. No point in having the wounded out there and me here. I will activate the wards before I leave though. The alchemist rune for life traced in fire will let you through them if you need to retreat here."

"You as well, Becca." They answered in near unison. Peckerton's image winked out and she heard the clinking of Abagail's jars as Becca slipped unseen down the corridors of the University.

Dormitory Hallway Corbin and Morgan

One of the drawbacks of the illusory communication used to alert Morgan and Corbin was that it could not be sent to multiple places at once. In fact, sending the illusion even a moderate distance away was rather draining. So both Corbin and Morgan stepped into the same empty hallway. They could see each other clearly enough in the dim light from crystals embedded in the wall. Corbin was at one end of the corridor and Morgan the other. By Aetheric sight, they were both shielded and ready for working sorcery. The energies around them looked normal. No signs of the Nether that they could see.

Morgan summoned up his weave of air and his voice boomed down the hallway.

"Would all students please make their way to the dining hall immediately!"

A few flickers pass and a few students poke their heads out clad in nightdress or sleeping robes. It was closer to burns for those that needed to make themselves presentable.

"Geez, its the middle of night!"

"What's going on?"

Similar murmurings came from the sleepy students about a dozen in all. Then two things happened simultaneously. Corbin suddenly noticed tiny threads of blackness appear in the Aether before him. This was the only warning he got before two pitch black figures resembling scuttling crabs only much larger rushed out of the shadows. He stood between them and the rest of the students.

Meanwhile, a piercing scream cut through the murmurings of the student. To Morgan it sounded like it came from the floor below echoing up the stairwell that was near at hand.

Hallways of the University - Becca

Becca moved quietly and unseen along the halls of the University. She was more than halfway to the dormitories when she heard the faint echo of Morgan's voice.

"Would all students please make their way to the dining hall immediately!"

Suddenly there was a movement down the corridor ahead of her. A pitch black figure cocked its head at the noise and stood a little taller. It had been completely hidden in the darkness until it moved. Becca heard it sniff the air with ragged breaths.
Last edited by Tristam on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin nodded to the Professor, indicating his understanding of what he had been told, and that there was a possible fallback location should things go awry. Moore's wish of luck was the last thing he said as the image disappeared. There was no time to wait, and he stepped quickly out into the hall. As he did so he saw Morgan at the end of the hall and nodded to him. From the look of him he was ready for action, and Corbin deduced that he had probably been told about the encroaching danger as well. This was confirmed as he announced that students should make there way to the dining hall, the same instructions that Corbin had been given by Moore.

Slowly but surely students began emerging from their slumber and posing questions about why they had been so rudely awoken. Corbin could well understand their concerns, but there was no time to explain what was going on.

"Everything will be explained to you once you are in the Dining Hall." Corbin announced commandingly. "So I suggest you proceed there swiftly, but with caution." He added.

He was preparing to herd the students down the hall, making sure that everyone was accounted for when the possible dangers that his Professor had indicated, became manifest. There was activity in the Nether, and then two creatures appeared. These things happened simultaneously, and there could be no coincidence.

There was no time for him to call out, he acted merely on instinct. He took a step backwards to gain a little room, and as he did so he channelled the energy that he had been gathering since he had been alerted to the threat and unleashed it in a wave of energy at the creatures. He did not intend to kill them with it, merely to throw them back and stall them so that he could buy time for the students to escape, and also to try and examine the make-up of these creatures - discover if they were corporeal, or beings of energy. He needed to know what was attacking them before he could effectively combat them, and so he analysed the energy around them to see if that - and their reaction to his magic - would reveal anything about them.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan returned Corbin's nod, a little grimly. It was good to see that at least one other experienced student was about; Morgan had never properly met Corbin, but he remembered him from the Demon Hunt and knew that he could throw a decent fireball. In that respect his company was greatly appreciated.

Then two things happened. First, he heard a scream rise up the stairwell. Second, to Morgan's perception at least, two creatures emerged from the darkness and charged towards Corbin. He drew breath sharply, but it didn't take him a flicker to make up his mind. The man can look after himself - or at least I hope so. Right now I need to get the students to safety, and that means taking them out of the way of the most immediate threat.

He called out again, this time relying on his own voice rather than wasting Aetheric energy in the tight confines of the corridor. "Everyone follow me! And stay behind me," he added. Morgan wasn't exactly popular among the other students - he kept to himself and was rather stand-offish, which in someone with a reputation like his could be construed as arrogance - but he hoped that they'd at least see the common sense in what he was saying. If there'd been more time to play with, he'd have asked those who could to centre, ground and shield, as well, but he didn't bother. As much as anything else, Morgan wasn't very trusting, and he didn't trust the other students not to land a lightning bolt between his shoulderblades while he was leading the way.

He began to descend the stairwell towards the source of the scream. As he did so, he drew upon fire energies to channel a yellow-orange flame just above the palm of his right hand. It would provide some extra light, as well as having the potential to be used as a makeshift weapon if necessary. If there are any more of those creatures, maybe they'll burn like the rest of us.

Thoughts of Becca started to enter his mind. I wonder where she is? By the gods, I hope she's not off doing anything... inadvisable. Then again, if she's outside the University, maybe she'll be safe. Morgan willed himself to concentrate on the here and the now, and the flame burning in his cupped hand. Right now he had to look after himself and the students who he hoped were following him.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca couldn't cover her relieved smile, and didn't really bother to try. "Here's hoping Imrelinda and Arden are all right." She had to admit she felt rather protective of Arden after the incident with the ratmen, and she'd be almost as upset if anything happened to him as she would be if it happened to Imrelinda. "Milady, I'll meet you at the dining hall." She was reasonably sure she knew the rune Abagail meant, and so she saluted them both cheerfully - even though they couldn't see her - in acknowledgement before she started towards the domitories. Becca was nearly there when she heard something she didn't expect at all.

'Morgan?' Becca jerked to a stop, shaping his name soundlessly. Someone must have passed the message along to him as well, which... Well. It made her task easier, at least, even if it meant the incursion might be a little bigger than she thought. 'If he's taking people to the dining hall, then he might end up away from the worst of it. Please gods, that's all I ask -'

And then a figure moved from the darkness, and Becca found herself thinking '- well, perhaps not all I ask.'

Watching the figure sniff the air - and that was just bloody typical, wasn't it? If it wasn't someone with a cold, which was unlikely to the point of impossibility, then it was something that would know she was there! - Becca slid her knife out of its sheath, reaching out and starting to gather pages of air to her. She'd learnt her lesson about trying to use air as a throwing weapon from all the times it hadn't worked, but - well, she'd think of something.

Becca advanced slowly and silently, trying to get a better look at the figure. If it was just one of the students, then all was well - but when had Becca ever been that lucky? If it wasn't one of the students, then she'd just had her advantage - that whatever was worrying Professor Peckerton wouldn't know she was coming so long as she stayed quiet - shaken a little. Still, this was the quickest way to the domitories. She just had to hope that if it was a creature, that her knife would help her, and that she could get past it unnoticed while keeping one eye on it and another out for any companions it might have.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Corbin

The students that were moving slowly and sullenly towards the dining hall picked up the pace as the creatures emerged from the darkness. Corbin's weave was swift and strong and the wave of force smacked solidly into the Nether beings. He caught one with more of its legs in the air than on the floor and it toppled over onto its back. It slid back into the darkness. The second creature was knocked back several feet but it kept its footing and scuttled forward once more. The students retreated behind him towards Morgan but began to bunch up as they descended the staircase at the far end.

Morgan

Morgan held his conjured flame aloft and led the students down the staircase as swift as he dared. The scream did not come again but the likely source of it was obvious as he emerged onto the ground floor of the dormitory. There was a group of five or so students huddled in the center of the hallway to Morgan's left. A sixth was on the floor in a puddle of blood with a seventh doing his best to bind her wounds.

Standing protectively before them was a young girl of around 18 yahren with long red hair clad in a white nightdress. She had her hands outstretched and her face was drawn in concentration. Morgan could see a ring of protective wards drawn in the air held by her will. A pair of the demon crabs were pounding against this barrier and each strike caused the sorceress to whimper in pain. Not having the time to root the wards in an outside energy, she was sustaining them with her own.

Becca

The figure before definitely was not a student. The body shape was too hulking for her to mistake it for a human. Still it did not seem interested in her. Sniffing the air, it suddenly froze like a dog catching the scent and then with a eerie wail it ran off down one of the corridors away from the dormitory. If Becca remembered right, it was heading towards the elemantalist towers.

All

It came out of nowhere. A flash of platinum colored energies crashed across their vision like a wave blinding them for a flicker. Even the beings of Nether seemed affacted by it. All within the walls of the University felt it cry out in agony as this strange sorcery wrest it from its foundations. There was a sickening lurch, then silence and a feeling of coming home. Even the beings of the Nether pause in surpised. Then the moment passed and the things were as they were before.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan pursed his lips as he assessed the situation before him. Swiftly he stopped channelling energy into the flame in his hand, letting it starve itself and die. He'd had success with fire before, but the situation was different. With innocents behind him and in front of him to his left, he couldn't afford to let loose a wave of indiscriminate energy. Any strike he made against the crab-things needed to be more targeted.

The beasts themselves intrigued Morgan. For a student, he had a surprisingly advanced knowledge of daemons and the Netheric, but the monsters he was faced with were something new. They resembled crabs, yet they didn't seem to be warped Tether beings like the hellhounds and ratmen the Changer had employed against the Citadel, which meant they were likely native to the Nether itself. Either way, the situation didn't leave him with enough time to pursue a detailed study.

Morgan was impressed with the red-haired girl's courage and tenacity - to say nothing of the fact that he was partial to redheads in general - but he could see that her defence wouldn't last, as each blow against her wards was draining her physically. Then the wave of platinum energy washed over him, and he was momentarily gobsmacked. It certainly is a night for miracles and strange things. Whatever had just happened, it had to be the largest release of sorcerous energy that Morgan had ever experienced.

Enough. Time to take control. He needed to distract the crab-beasts from the weakened girl. "Hey!" he called out angrily. The creatures might not recognise the sentiment of challenge, but he hoped they would at least take note of his presence. Either way, he wasn't going to waste any more time on words. Plunging deep into his Aetheric sight, he drew upon the energies of the storm: energies of which Morgan himself had once been on the receiving end. Both feet firmly on the ground at the bottom of the stairwell, he drew coils and tangles of the crackling energy to him, concentrating on holding them at arm's length for two and a half flickers - and then willing them to arc across the gap between him and the nearer crabfiend in a bolt of destructive lightning.
Merron Grimwood
Civus

Post by Merron Grimwood »

Merron couldn't sleep out of excitement. It was his first day in the university and he couldn't wait to see what the first day would be like. But his rest was disturbed by noises in the corridors. Grimwood was smart enough to understand that it was too late for it to be something normal and ordinary. The young achadhiel was a curious one so he couldn't miss out on a chance to explore the university's grounds and check out what was with all the commotion.

Merron dressed quickly and threw his robe on. He was about to leave when suddenly the achadhiel stopped. Took off his robe again and started digging in his satchel for something, then he took out his belt with six throwing knives in there little sheaths I really hope I won't need these. Grimwood put his robe on again and exited into the corridors.

The other students were moving towards the dining hall and Merron decided to follow the flow. Everyone looked tired and angry because of the disturbed slumber. Merron on the other hand felt as alive as always; looking around with an ever present glint of curiosity resident in his eyes.

Finally Grimwood saw who was leading them throw the corridors. A human mage who seemed to be holding a ball of fire cupped in rather long pale fingers. Merron didn't react like he did when first exposed to magic, but still the young achadhiel always felt fascinated by the presence of spells. Since Merron could only see the back of the person he couldn't really make much of an opinion about him. So Merron just decided to wait and see what happens.

The hurried procession stopped at the sight of a young girl fighting off two crab creatures; rather holding them off not fighting. Merron's hands immediately disappeared into his robe's sleeves and he had a knife ready in his palm if he had to use it. Suddenly a flash of metallic colors blinded Merron and he felt a strange twirling sensation in his stomach. When the young student regained his vision he could see his own puzzled expression mirrored on the other students around him.

The leader of the group didn't wait long and summoned a lightning to strike down one of the crab demons. Merron quietly put his blade into its sheaf. Grimwood felt useless with his blades in front of the display of such destructive magic.
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
~Frank Herbert
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin was satisfied as he saw one of the creatures crashing back into the darkness. He didn't know if that meant it was gone, or merely temporarily knocked back. But what it did mean was that he only had to deal with one creature at a time now. He turned his attention to the scuttling thing that was approaching him. He had just used a combination of earth and air energy to knock back one of his opponents - now he intended to use something similar on this one.

Instead of the wide area of force he had previously used, he tightly compressed and focussed his energy into narrow streaks, sending them towards the creature, aiming to fly into the gaps in the carapace from whence the legs protruded. Once they were in the creature Corbin would release the energy, letting it expand violently, hopefully crushing the creature's presumed soft inside, and possibly ripping apart the carapace for good measure.

His attention was not on the students bunched up behind him, but he still monitored the aether - it seemed these creatures could appear from anywhere, so he had to remain on his guard.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Morgan and Merron

The pair of demons turned at Morgan's challenge and scuttled towards him swiftly. The closest crab thing was more than halfway to him before Morgan could draw forth the energies of the storm and send them forth as a crackling bolt. The reek of burning garbage filled the hallway and heavy crack could heard as the being's shell broke from the impact. Thick black ooze bubbled from the wound and the crab stopped its advance to clutch at it protectively with his claws.

The unwounded one shoved his fellow aside and lunged forward to rend the flesh of this upstart magician. One moment Morgan's vision was filled with with the hungry look of Nether being being; the next, his view was clear as the monster suddenly plunged forward and fell to the floor as his feet. Over the back of the beast, Morgan could see the smug satisfaction of the red headed mage and the stony fist that she wove out of the floor to clutch the crab thing's leg.

The students around Merron were quite confused and scared. They were torn between huddling back from the confrontation and pressing forward to see what was happening. Merron was at Morgan's back. Behind him was a thing young man with jet black hair. Like Merron he seemed to be excited by the goings on. He clapped Merron on the shoulder. "Here, mate, we've got to help. Can you channel energy yet? We may not be able to cast a spell but we can support this guy."

Corbin

Professor Acantha would be proud of Corbin's technique as he wove his strands of force into a sharp spearhead. His shot hit a little above the joint he was aiming for but it punched through the armored carapace all the same. Thick black ooze began bubbling forth from the wound. Releasing the energy in a violent blast produced a more muted response than he hoped for though. Corbin felt the energies unraveling the instant in entered the Nether mesh of the creature. The releases caused a reeking jet of ichor to spew from the hole and the crab thing scuttled back clutching the wound. From the darkness, Corbin could hear the clicking of shell on stone getting closer.
[/b]
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin didn't bat an eyelid as his attempted explosion of the creature failed - it had driven it off, and he had gathered two things. Firstly, the carapace, whilst being tough, was not impenetrable. Secondly, the creature was very much one of the Nether. His energy had been almost undone by the thing before it could do any major damage. This suggested to Corbin that he needed to focus is energy tightly so that it had time to do damage before it could be counteracted.

For the moment the two creatures had been repelled. His first instinct was to advance so that he could finish off the creatures, and see what the darkness was. But he had a responsibility to defend the students, and he was fighting a rear-guard action. If he were to get separated they might be attacked from behind. Reluctantly therefore, he started taking careful steps backwards. Even as he did so he heard a scuttling noise suggesting one of his enemies was ready to do battle again. He had time though, and so he carefully began preparing several arrows of energy, similar to the first one that he had used to good effect. They were tightly formed arrows, this time they were not intended to explode within, merely to penetrate the creatures as quickly and devastatingly as possible. He intended to wait until the creature was reasonably close to him before releasing as many of the energy bursts as he had created. He intended to aim them as much as possible at the entrances that presented themself to him.
Merron Grimwood
Civus

Post by Merron Grimwood »

This is not good, if something happened to that mage, then... Merron's chain of thought was interrupted by a tap on the shoulder. "Here, mate, we've got to help. Can you channel energy yet? We may not be able to cast a spell but we can support this guy." Merron lowered his eyes, he didn't want to admit that he didn’t trust his own abilities to control the flow through his body.

"Listen why don't you ask around the other students if anyone can channel energy or cast any supportive spells and help the guy. I'm going to try a less elegant approach..." With those words Merron's arms again vanished in his sleeves and appeared again with two throwing blades in both palms. The crab creature was busy with the man on the floor so Merron could unnoticed find a good angle so that the danger to the mage on the floor would be at minimum.

Merron saw the conjured stone palm and stopped for a moment. Maybe that will suffice? But then again... I will at least raise the chances Merron's blades were originally crafted to be thrown with a flick of wrist straight out of the sleeve. Unfortunately that way of throwing is really imprecise if you're not skilled. So Grimwood raised the two blades the old fashioned way behind his head and threw them with all his strength. Merron placed his foot in front of him to regain balance.

The young achadhiel hoped to hit just above the joint. But Merron understood that he would have to be an extremely good thrower to hit that spot; so just the back armor would do. Maybe it will attract the creature's attention. If it does... well, I'm a good runner Merron smiled widely.
Last edited by Merron Grimwood on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
~Frank Herbert
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Corbin

As Corbin prepared his arrows of force, the Nether crab he has wounded worked forces of his own. A thick black mesh formed over its wound and the ichor ceased to flow. It rose from its crouch ready to do battle once more. The second crab scuttled out of the darkness with an circle of perfect black conjured over one claw. It held this shield before it ready to ward off the blows Corbin had prepared.

Before Corbin could release any of his arrows, the beings cocked their heads to one side like a hunting hound when the master called. They scuttled back to the edge of the darkness and waited.

Morgan and Merron

The crab thing wounded by lightning retreated slightly and worked a dark weave over the wound. The flow of ichor slowed to a trickle and it rose ready to continue the fight. The crab thing on the floor struggled with the stone claw that held it. Its free leg pounded on it mercilessly and cracked away half of it with the first blow.

Merron then stepped forward and hurled his daggers. His throw was true but the mortal steel of his weapon was not up to the task of penetrating Nether scale. The pair of daggers bounced off the crab's shell and clattered away down the corridor. A second kick shattered the stone hand and the being rose with murder in its eyes.

Then the crab things cocked their heads to one side and concentrated. With a snarl, the pair of them backed away down the corridor leaving the way to the dining hall clear. They did not retreat entirely though but stood in the corridor waiting for something.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Not a student. Very definitely not a student.

Well, that was just bloody typical.

Becca circled the creature warily - just because it wasn't showing any interest in her now didn't mean it wouldn't take a swipe at her if she got too close to it, and she'd learnt her lesson about trying to fight things alone - with her knife between them. When it froze, Becca stepped away faster - then froze herself when it wailed and bolted in the opposite direction.

That was easier than she expected -

And as though her thought had summoned it, plantinum light crashed across her sight - not a strange occurence when learning to craft illusions - but she stumbled back against the wall as the the University lurched.

'What in the name of all the gods -'

And then it was over, everything righted. Becca glanced after the creature as she started hesitantly for the domitories again. If it was heading for the elementalist towers like she thought it was, then chances were it would end up going up against the professors that lived there. If she went now, she could probably join Morgan and anyone else the University had recruited and get the other students to the Dining Hall.

... Well, if Morgan was shouting that loudly there couldn't be that many creatures near him, surely. And if Peckerton hadn't recruited anyone else, he'd still have a load of students with him - and there'd have to be some who could help him if they did run into trouble. And the professors in the elementalist tower might not know that anything was happening. She'd put money on at least some of them being able to ignore earthquakes if they had to.

"Why can't I just do as I'm bloody well told?" Becca groaned as she turned and started running after the creature, letting it lead her to what - or who - it had scented.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan didn't have time to savour the smell of burning Nether as his sorcery struck the beast. In a flicker the second crab-thing was almost upon Morgan - and the next flicker it was gone, dragged down by the red-haired mage. The warding student released a breath and uttered a quick "Phew".

A fellow student flung a blade at one of the creatures, and although it did not penetrate the thing's tough carapace Morgan admired the man's courage, not to mention his aim. He turned briefly to Merron and gave him a nod of thanks.

As Morgan marshalled energies to launch a second attack, the girl's restraining stone hand was broken... and then the creatures appeared to retreat. Seeing the way ahead clear, he didn't waste any time. "Get to the dining hall! I'll hold them off," he barked, striding to place himself between the crabs and the students once again. Possibly not all of them would comply, but then again the creatures weren't immediately threatening them, and a bit of support would hardly go amiss.

The daemons had been put on the back foot by something, it seemed, and Morgan wasn't going to miss the opportunity to press the advantage. After all, it was unlikely that they were just going to kiss and make up. It was the energy of earth that he drew upon this time, in its aspect of brute force. Pushing himself to the very limit of what he believed he could safely channel, Morgan wove and sharpened the dull threads into a sizeable wedge-shaped spearhead. This he mentally hurled through the air, aiming to drive it into the crack in the shell of the one that had been wounded by lightning. His goal was to split the creature entirely in two. While the safety of students was at stake, he wasn't taking any prisoners.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Morgan and Merron

At Morgan's command students began filing down the steps and down the corridor leading to the dining hall. The ones behind the red haired mage gathered up the fallen student and did likewise. The red haired mage stayed behind to shepherd the ones coming down the stairs onward.

Morgan summoned forth his spearhead, a wedge of force so great that his body physically trembled from the effort of holding it. Such a weapon took time to forge and the Nether beings were not idle. The command had been clear they were not to attack unless attacked and though they saw this attack coming, it had not yet been launched. Netheric webs of shielding were hastily weaved as they scuttled forward hoping to startle the mage into fleeing or a lesser attack.

Morgan let the wedge fly. It cut cleanly through the Netheric webs protecting the wounded crab thing and cracked the shell protecting the bubbling sickness beneath. With a ear splitting shriek, the demon crashed to the ground with a sickening crunch.

Now the second crab thing was free to act and it did so swiftly. Its claws lashed out and caught Morgan by the wrists. Instantly, Morgan lost feeling in his hands as pain radiated up his arms. The crab wrenched his arms downward forcefully and Morgan found himself looking into the dead pits that were the crab thing's eyes. It opened its mouth to reveal a row upon row of sharp teeth and leaned forward eagerly.

Becca

Please join us here.

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=14961
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Almost as bad as the pain - which in itself was worse than anything he'd experienced - was the fear. My hands. The prospect of losing the use of them permanently was devastating, but even their temporary loss was immensely debilitating. It was only in that flicker that Morgan realised how dependent he'd become on the physical focus of his long, slender hands. Whether he was crafting wards or hurling lightning, virtually every strand of energy the young man had woven had passed through his digits before reaching their target. He'd heard tell of the danger of mages becoming too attached to ritual, to established, conventional methods of casting, at the expense of flexibility - and he'd always laughed at the idea. Now he could begin to see just how much of a reality it was for him, just when that reality itself was in danger of being permanently crushed by the beast that held him prone.

Morgan clenched his own teeth as he was brought face to face with the crab's. All colour drained from his already pale skin as he retreated to his core, fighting the terror and the numbness with every calming meditatory trick at his disposal. It didn't help that he'd channelled such great force a flicker before, as now he felt drained and powerless. The strike that had eliminated one of his opponents had left him wide open to the other. He wasn't going to give up now, though.

A burn ago he'd laced his voice with air energy - and although even that cantrip had involved a subconscious gesture or two, Morgan now forced himself to believe that he could do it without any physical involvement. The weaving he now attempted was subtly different. Instead of drawing upon air to fortify his voice, with what little strength of will he could muster, the trapped magus now drew upon the energies of fire for the same purpose. At the same time he let out the scream of fear and anguish that he'd been holding back for a bare flicker.

"AAAAGH!" Morgan roared, projecting the burning, incandescent nonword across the narrow gap between them and into the creature's maw. It was his hope that the damage done would be enough to cause the daemon to recoil and release its pincer hold - preferably without taking one or more of his hands with it. If not, then perhaps someone would at least be alerted to his plight before it was too late.
Thorn
Civus

Post by Thorn »

Beastiary of the University of Magick

The University's beastiary was a thing of marvel. Stretching for more than a sixth of the univerity grounds (and that was a lot) and including a number of subterranean levels, it had begun as a pet project of several animalist-sorcerers and a handful or shamans (who later left over academic differences). The idea was to collect all animals that were somehow either touched by magick or influenced magick. Later this was expanded to all creatures, with special emphasis on those that were magickally significant. The complex also contained a library facility, where sorcerers experimented with magick on animals, and attempted to create new breeds of beasts that were permanently enhanced through the sorcerous arts. It was, in short an exciting and busy place.

Thorn couldn’t sleep. Though the stars were bright, there was something in the air that night that bothered him as he lay on a bed of hay in one of the empty corrals inside the University Bestiary. The late evening air was stifling and suffocating even though it wasn’t, something was nagging him as he tossed and turned on the haystack. He wasn’t alone with his feeling, Thorn could sense that, the magickal beasts and creatures inside the University Pen seemed frantic from some unknown reason. Almost all of the creatures were nervous and as much as the young adhiel tried to calm them down, he couldn’t remove the same intuition that he was feeling himself. There was danger and the air reeked with such miasma and it wailed at him in such a malignant voice that it sent shivers down his spine. He didn't understand it, but he knew something bad was about to happen. It almost felt as if he was once again on that night when Taloh was attacked by Blayvannah, the She-Daemon of Chaos, with her twisted hound, burning Taloh and slaughtered the hapless citizens of Taloh Tel Amrun. The memory of it still haunted his dreams and he shivered once again despite the stillness of the air.

He had to tell the Beast Keeper, but Thorn didn't know where he was on that late a night. But the nagging feeling pushed him, yanking within his very gut as he listened to the frantic noises the beast and creatures of the bestiary were making. He could sense they wanted to flee from the danger that seemed to lurk within the very air of the University and frankly, the primal fear and instinct that held the animals were rubbing off on him. With nothing else to do, not knowing who to turn to, the young adhiel fled the inner corral of the Domestic Animal Section, instinctive fear gripping him, he passed the hissing filled noise Hall of Venom and pulled open the arched entrance door and stepped inside the Halls of the University of Magick.

Hallways of the University of Magick

The profound sense of danger overwhelmed him as he made his way out of the University Beastiary into the the Hallways of the University Campus. The very soil was groaning and wailing with the impending danger and almost like a deer, thorn was stunned with fear, the chaos that surround him took him back to the distant memory of the Night of the Conflagration, the echoing shouts reverberated inside his mind but he was brought back by a voice echoing through the corridors, though faint, it was commanding enough to catch Thorn's attention.

"...all students ....... way to the dining ..... immediately!"

He didn't catch most of the words in that human tongue, but he was able to comprehend much of its sense. The Dining Hall was somewhat far from the entrance of the Beastiary Section, he had to go through the corridors and through the Dormitory Hall and with fear and uncertainty of what was lurking within the corners of the hallways, the young shaper fled, wishing he was outside and in the safety of the Weald. Thorn felt confined inside the thick walls of the University with its strange energies that coursed through its walls and floor. But ran he did, passed corridors and hallways and turned into a corner and entered the Dormitory Hall, his breathing spent and he was almost knocked back by this tremendous sense, overpowering him and crushing all of his senses. He fell to his knees and covered his ears as he heard a vast wail, as if the very ground was groaning and keening against something defiling it and within that flicker, he was indeed pushed back into the floor by such an enormous platinum force. But as suddenly as that crushing feeling came, it suddenly disappeared, but the adhiel druid could still feel the soil groaning and moaning against the injustice done to her and breathing hard, he pushed himself up and fled once more, turning another corner and suddenly found himself amidst a small group of student wizards trying to defend itself from such an unnatural creature, a creature Thorn had never seen before, a creature that reeked of such atrocity that the young adhiel felt its malignant presence defiling the very rock it was standing.

The Nether. It was happening once more as he remembered how they lost Taloh to the creatures of the Nether and lost T'aquar to the madness of the Oneist who came to liberate them from the clutches of the Nether beast. Transfixed, he heard the distant shrieks of his people as he relived the past once more, the smell of fire, the sound of weeping and the wailing for the dead as they fled Taloh into the safety of the Ancient City of Kes'levy.

But he was brought back by another shout of fear, this time, from the present, coming from a human student about to be killed by the Nether beast. "NOOOO!" Thorn roared at the same time Morgan yelled with profound fear and frustration. "NO MORE DEATH FOR T'AQUAR!" He screamed with deep anguish, not realizing that he was screaming in the Adhiel Tongue as he saw the dead people of his homeland flashed before his very eyes. He ran forward, anger feeding him and he clenched his fist with frustration and fury as he gathered and opened his will to be one with the essence of Tazlure, within the very soul of nature. But this time, as he plunged into the stream of nature, Thorn found it in chaos as each spirit of nature fled before the dark taint that was spreading before him and it took all of his voice to soothe them back to no avail and in desperation, in his frustration and anger, he knelt upon the floor, a few paces away from Morgan and the Nether creature. In desperate fury, with a loud animalistic snarl, unable to organize the chaos of the spirit of nature, he strike hard at the the floor with his clenched fist, punching the very spirit and essence of the earth to obey his words and ordered it to move against the Nether Beast and pushed it back against the wall.
Last edited by Thorn on Fri May 09, 2008 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”