Touching base - Marcada Estate [MT 27th]

Moderator: Mods

Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Touching base - Marcada Estate [MT 27th]

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

Located on the outskirts of the Inner City, the Marcada manse was a large, square construction with a large courtyard-like clearing within. Built of plaster-coated stone, the building maintained a light shade of taupe that contrasted with the customary dark stone of the Citadel. A high, angled roof followed the structure around, it's baked plaster tiles shining a dull red in the sun. Three chimneys projected majestically from it's top, one of which can be seen to billow out a thin plume of blueish smoke at virtually all marks of the day, and the grounds surrounding the manse were lush and verdant, a testament to the gardener's careful attention and tireless waterings.

The front side of the manse faced east and featured a pair of amazing, brass doors, each one encasing a large cut-class window that, while too irregular to reveal anything beyond, presented the guest with a fine, elaborate floral image backlit by the warm lighting within. Tall, narrow pillars guarded the door, each topped by a carved arch that, once again, were coated in the same taupe plaster. The narrow, darkened windows were each protected with iron gratings wrought in the shape of creeping vines, though the iron working was designed to be more decorative than defensive.

Two other doors lead into the Marcada house, one near the kitchen and one that remained locked and barred from within. The kitchen entrance, located on the north side of the building, was often open, and it was from here that most of the Estate's residence...including Lord Marcada and his wife Rosalie Marcada...gained entry.

Rosalie sneaked inside the building, not really paying attention to her surroundings. She was here to change clothing and ponder what she had learned. These last few days had been strenuous.

Before she slipped into her bedroom however, ready to change into her next outfit, she decided on a whim to visit her husband. He was so cut out from information as far as she was concerned that she almost worried keeping him out of the loop too much. He didn't deserve that.

"Illish," she called as she entered his bedroom, expecting him to be there, still reduced an invalid, radiating sweet innocence that was in truth no longer part of her make up "Illish, guess who I spoke to to these last 24 marks?"
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Sneaking into the house would have been rather difficult, as Deacon had been busy in Rosalie's absence, half a dozen armed and armored guards patrolling the yard, with more posted around the house. None tried to stop the lady of the house, their backs straightening as she went past, heads nodding in silent salute. Before Illish' and her bedroom two guards stood, though again she was allowed to pass, only to find the bed empty and Illish in a chair next to a fireplace, dressed in a thick purple house-robe, blanket across his lap. The silent butler stood nearby, handing papers to his master, which he was inspecting as his young wife entered. Turning he smiled and handed the paper he held to the butler, waving the man away. "I fear, my dear, that I am not psychic. Why don't you sit down and tell me? Dereck could make us some tea, as I could use a bit of a break. My head is starting to ache again." He was still very much bandaged, his eye hidden and a large bump visible under the bandages at the back of his head, where it struck the bedside.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

Her eyes flitted to the papers the butler held. Business. Rosalie was always interested in business of course and wondered what kind her husband was dealing with now. "You are not getting too busy are you," she fretted "I know my father always stretches himself too far if my mother doesn't interfere." She sat herself at his side, pulling a chair near "Though of course, you could always delegate some of those things to me. I am your wife now, Illish. I do hope you consider me a partner as well." She kissed his hand at that, before holding it to her face. There were still marks on her neck, but pretty jewellery almost hid it.

"Well, I must admit I met several people," Rosalie smiled upon his confession of lacking supernatural powers "I shall leave the most important one to last. First of all, I've had breakfast with Isis, the Voice of Rafao. She served me the most delicious sweet wine that I'm sure would fetch very interesting prices. Ah, but alas, apparently it has a very small production and is reserved for religious purposes and the private use of the Rafao and his guests." Her amber eyes glittered. "Sad, isn't it? An enterprising man could make so much money selling even a single amphora to the highest bidder."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"These are just reports from yesterday. I am still waiting for a full report on Aveas, though your brother has been quite generous with information. I was surprised how well it ended." His hand cradled Rosalie's cheek in the palm, Illish' thumb caressing the cheekbone gently. "These are just everyday reports on the Guild business. Quite boring, but necessary. Accountants take care of the most, but Erwin prefers if I approve every major deal, so I review all of them, just in case." He shrugged and then rolled his shoulders, groaning slightly as his muscles were tense from the pain, his body trying to pull his head lower into a comfortable position that did not exist.

Despite the pain, the Baron managed a chuckle when Rosalie spoke of her breakfast with Isis and possible use of the famed desert wine as an export good. "Were both of you and Erwin free, and he heard you say that I am certain he would have went down to a knee and asked you to marry him." His smile fading a bit, he added. "I have heard of that wine, and I believe Erwin has been one of the lucky few to try it. He and Rafao Ionis are close friends from before the Great Battle."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

"Oh pooh, I thought to surprise you with that. Oh well, I still have a third person to report on," his wife pouted as he revealed already knowing of the fate of Aveas. She was too pleased with herself to be truly annoyed.

Rosalie laughed as he joked about her commercial instincts, pointing out "But we are not free, and so Erwin is simply too late. You've beaten him to it. Besides, I am not sure K'mith would approve. I don't think I want to make an enemy out of that lady." She sighed as he revealed Erwin already knew of the product, then laughed softly "So, likely he's already smuggling it." Nothing like a little bit of graft between friends. At least that is how World's Mouth worked and she could not imagine the Imperial Trade Guild being any different.

"Well, me and Isis discussed some political matters. Things are shifting in the council.. especially now that several councillors are rumoured to be dead. New ones shall have to be appointed. I think the Caesars honeymoon will be over sooner than he expected," She arched her eyebrow to see if that particular newsbit had reached her husband yet.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Having sent a detachment of his own troops, Illish had a pretty reliable source of information from Aveas, even without learning of it from Ramius right after he had reported to Rosalie."I don't think anyone wants to make an enemy of K'mith. She's about the only person to whose polite requests Erwin responds without looking for a way to profit for it. Though he does love her very much too. What began as a partnership rather than marriage grew into more over the yahren." Illish smiled and added. "He does fear her a bit still. Especially when she is pregnant, which is often enough, and gets a bit cranky and short-tempered."

Then the talk turned to politics and it was an arena which Illish did not enjoy as his wife might have, for the simple fact that politics often got in the way of business, though they also made new opportunities if one was ruthless enough. "I think His Imperial Majesty is about to find out that with power comes a lot of responsibility. And that becoming a Caesar is just part of the struggle. Now he needs to prove to the Council and his people they chose right. Empire is no an autocratic like Western Kingdom was. If he does not show he is an able ruler, he will find himself obstructed by those he rules. Imperial Council has much power in this country."
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie laughed softly "It is no different in World's Mouth, Illish. Though the magisters are careful not to be used as a puppet. Still some invariably are. Was not Anochrim a puppet of some very strong councilmembers? I do believe your Duke was one of the puppeteers. Has he a similar stronghold over the new Caesar do you think?"

She kissed his cheek "But I am keeping you up. Shouldn't you be back in bed to rest?" Rose found she liked fussing over her husband, an odd way of showing affection. While she still didn't relish the moment they would finally share the marriage bed, certainly after the last disaster, there was a comfortable intimacy between them now, as if they had been married for years.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Anochrim was a very special case. He never truly wanted to be Caesar, but was still chosen. And yes, he was used by Council members, Duke Erwin amongst them, though again he did not protest too much as long as he was allowed to have fun in spare time." It was odd how so little time has passed since the death of Anochrim and so much has changed. He smiled at the kiss and nodded. "I'll be in bed in half a mark or so. Guild needs my attention, but for most part things are going smoothly. Any word about what happened that night?"
Rosalie Marcada

Rose sighed and shook her head "No, nothing yet. I've asked for an investigation by the University of Magick, but they haven't gotten back to me yet." There was a tone of irritation. Rosalie was not used to being made to wait. It spoke clearly of the fact the mages of the Empire did not hold her to the same status that she herself did and in truth it made her blood boil. How annoying this whole supernatural thing was.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Illish reached for his wife’s hand and looked up. “It has been a day since and it may be a few more before they uncover anything. I’ll have Deacon hire someone to place protective wards around the house to ensure it does not happen again before they discover the culprit. I have no desire worry about hostile magick each time I go to bed.” He smiled, and arched a brow, waiting to see if she needed anything else before he went back to his papers.

OOC: Fin?
Rosalie Marcada

"Thank you, " Rosalie nodded and with a last smile for her husband and the heartfelt but not uttered wish that he'd not recover too fast for she didn't quite feel ready for a new try at the marriage bed, the Ambassador left.

OOC: Fin!
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Locked, summarised, archived without skilling.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “Inner City Archive”