Delivering the Bouquet [27th afternoon]

Moderator: Mods

Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Delivering the Bouquet [27th afternoon]

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

Aerin had taken the casual route to Thalas, leading her rag-tag band of hopefuls (those who wished to come) to Ashari’s home, doing so in the faith that they would either memorize the way or at least wait until they reached the house to ask questions about its location. She had told them nothing in Simple Pleasures, save for “I will take you there” because, of all of Ashari’s business, the temporary housing of the Roses was not something that she wished to broadcast. She was a streetwise little vixen, of sorts, and relied upon what Rat had primarily taught her in theory with very little practical application – the redhead taking the occasional glance back, looking for recurring faces to see if they were being followed.

She had very little practice with the task, but felt somewhat confident that they had not been trailed as she opened the front door to Thalas Manse and stepped inside, waving her hand toward the interior as she held the door open for the others.

“Welcome ‘home’, ladies and gentleman. I am not sure if the Mistress is home yet, but I will be delighted to check, if you would like to take a seat and be patient for just a burn or two longer.” After the last person had entered, Aerin would close the door and ascend the stairs, rapping her knuckles lightly upon Ashari’s door.

“Mistress? Are you in there?” Aerin asked the closed portal. "I have picked up some lovely gifts for you in town and would like to give them to you if you are interested…”

OOC: Roses, please feel free to make entry posts and GW/mod/Ashari, I’m not ‘placing’ Ashari in her room or anything like that… It is just the first place Aerin’s checking. Ashari could not even be home for all she knows.
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Paige
Civus

Post by Paige »

Paige had followed Aerin in hopes of meeting this Ashari. She wondered what the woman would be like in person, for she hadn't heard too much about her. The more she thought about this mysterious person the more Paige's mind began to play tricks on her. She didn't like not knowing what lie ahead of her, but then again she had to admit to herself there was a form of excitement wound up in this web of intrigue. Paige was a mysterious woman herself, so she didn't dwell too much on the thought. Besides, she knew she wasn't the only one who would be meeting Ashari for the first time. Her thoughts reflected to what was going on through Trevyn and Yelena's minds if they were coming too. Would they be sharing the same thoughts as well? Would they be fearful?

When they had finally reached their destination and Aerin offered that they take a seat, Paige politely obliged with a nod of her head. Taking in her surroundings, her blue eyes noted that the owner of the house had very fine tastes. With a soft smile, Paige spotted a nearby chair and slowly sat down, waiting for Aerin to return or to meet the infamous Ashari for that matter.
Last edited by Paige on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Ashari had come home from a productive lunch with Rosalie and sauntered around her newly cleaned house. Her decision to take Aerin on as a student seemed to be doing wonders for her surroundings. Where she would've once been met by dust bunnies and cobwebs she saw the shine of freshly cleaned tiling in her foyer which piqued her immediate interest. How helpful... Her fingers traced along the chair rail into Iorn's study where she was pleasantly surprised to find the space untouched. A hand went to her chest as her shoulder pressed against the door frame. Fingers wove into her hair to unleash a cascade of black locks to fall around her shoulders and veil her vision for a moment before shutting the door behind her and slipping fully into her lover's room.

She withdrew a bottle of whiskey from a cabinet and poured herself a glass which she took with her upstairs where she had every intention of working up a plan to use the Lady's Ambassador's money to the most potential. Aerin's voice roused her from her musings over paperwork. "Mmm, yes, in here..." she called to her pupil.

Ashari was at her dressing table. She was using it as a makeshift desk in place of taking over Iorn's office. Parchment and inkwells were dispersed among perfume bottles and sticks of eyeliner and hair pins in the casual disarray that was a trademark of her life. It might appear to have no proper placement, but Ash knew where anything was at any given time even if there was no order to the surface.

She glanced over her shoulder to the redhead while putting down her quill. "Yes?" Her body turned more to face the girl. "Gifts? Really, Aerin, that's not necessary," but a bright grin suggested otherwise. Unexpected gifts were the best.

Downstairs the guests of Thalas Manse were met with a somewhat softer version of the destruction Aerin had met prior. From the entrance, to the right, looking into the sitting room, one could see clearly through the wall and beyond. Not just one wall, but infact, four walls had been shot clean through in a way that might be curious for the fact that the perfectly round hole was rimmed with black as if it'd been burned. Infact, these holes were in such a way that they lined up directly to give a view of outside to the neighbor's house, which once belonged to Andolin Azarin himself, when he was just the Master of Protocol.

It had peculiar destruction, which upon further inspection would reveal an ugly black mark on the tiled floor like a many-legged thing's shadow had been left there, ominously, the darkest stain of which was in the center, like a hole to the nether itself.

Thus, it was unlikely anyone would wish to meander into the sitting room, which, aside from it's ruin looked like it would've once been nice thanks to it's mint-green and creme theme. The foyer, where one was likely to shuffle about, was tiled in black and a matching creme interspersed with mahogany details most spectacularly being the large sweeping staircase that lead to the upper floor. This main area had the feeling of 'new' money. It had been decorated by the merchant class. Ash was already in the process of changing the entire decor, something which the new students would have the priviledge of watching develop.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Trevyn Sayres
Civus

Post by Trevyn Sayres »

Trevyn fidgeted a bit as he sat down next to Paige. He glanced toward the sitting room. What in Pan's name happened here? Trevyn could barely begin to speculate what could have caused the holes in the walls or the scorch mark on the floor. The ruin that he saw began to bring into sharp reality one of Marivanora's cautions about companionship which he, at the time, chose to disregard. It is a dangerous life, that of a companion, Marivanora told him. Those in power guard it jealously, and those who seek to undermine them covet power with the same intensity. This is the world in which a companion operates. She can wield great influence through her clients, but is just as vulnerable to attack as they are. A careless companion is a dead companion. Trevyn shuddered at the thought. At the same time, his curiosity began to grow. Who is causing such destruction? Who has a score to settle with the Red Rose Guild? What potential roadblocks will be in the way of our rebuilding of the guild? Perhaps some light would be shed upon these questions once Ashari met with the group.
[size=84]Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
- Hassan I Sabbah[/size]

[size=75]Avatar courtesy of Fialessa Valenstri, with my deepest gratitude.[/size]
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Post by Yelena Kintessia »

Yelena took a seat with the others as Aerin had requested, and proceeded to have her own turn looking at the place. From what Krys had told her earlier, the Rose really did have some enemies. The blonde exhaled a bit sharply, knowing that if she did take up companionship there would be some things she would have to deal with. She was sure the others knew this as well. Waiting for Aerin was really something she was excited for, because if Miss Ashari was here then the three would be able to meet her. Yelena knew that she was young, but did not really know what the woman looked like. She crossed her arms and began to try to subdue a smile that was forming as she waited.
[size=75]"All days are nights to see till I see thee, And nights bright days when dreams do show thee to me." - [i]Shakespeare[/i]
Avatar by Finn! (She's zomg amazing)[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Aerin gave her best mischievous smile, enjoying the delivery of Ashari’s surprise like a draught of fine wine. “Although I know it is unnecessary, I just couldn’t resist – the gift practically fell into my lap, Mistress.” Aerin continued, wanting to drag it out as long as she could without keeping Ashari’s prospective students waiting too long. As a small tease, she decided to save the information that she had garnered for a later time and offer up a variation of the lighthearted joke that she had made during the coffeehouse meeting, choosing her wording carefully as to make it seem like she was describing a single person that way - she hoped - the happiness would be multiplied threefold when the truth was discovered.

“You strike me, Mistress, as one who likes the finer things in life – and what could be finer than great legs, a firm body, eyes that you could lose yourself in, intelligence, honesty, curiosity, healing hands, clever wit, and beauty beyond expectations?” She gave a small pause and a smirking nod of her head, motioning toward the door and stairs beyond. “…and, for once, Mistress, I am not speaking of myself.” Aerin, if given the liberty, would quickly check Ashari over to make sure there were no errant locks of hair gone astray or anything like that while continuing her small build-up. “…or our little Caesar… I did buy him nuts, however, as you suggested.” Once satisfied that Ashari needed no further help nor whiffs of the bait needed to bite at the hook, Aerin would excuse herself slightly ahead of Ashari with the final words “Your gift awaits you downstairs, Mistress.”

Her feet moving in almost a run, Aerin moved to her room to drop off all but a handful of the purchased nuts and to snap Cicero up from wherever he was sitting or laying, the redhead chuckling at how comical she imagined herself to look as she skidded back onto the landing with Cicero in her arms, wanting to both care for her pet and to catch Ashari’s reaction to the gift.

She would not know until she reached the bottom of the stairs, however, if her haste had put her in place in time or not.
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Mon May 12, 2008 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari wondered how Aerin might've known that today was the perfect day for a present. She'd only told Andolin the significance of the spring day and had not thought to pass along the tidbit to her student. Infact, tht she hadn't told her pupil, and yet she'd arranged some sort of surprise, made it all the better. Rising from her spot at her makeshift desk Ash fluffed out her skirts a bit. Like the day prior she'd gone without the illustrious volume of wooden bustle beneath her dress, this time finding herself in an ensemble of lusterious silk in burgundy. A floral pattern of black overlaid it in alternating vertical stretches of interwoven blooms and stripes of vines and leaves.

Aerin had already gotten a good view of the dress that morning while assisting Ash with getting ready, but now with the afternoon sun it was easily understood why she'd chosen it. The burgundy had hints of copper woven in and picked up the sunshine as she passed the window to approach the door. If the redhead sought errant locks there would be plenty, though in the sort of relaxed mess that made it look as though Ash were just rather at ease and need not spend so much time on the voluminous tumbles of blue-black locks.

"Your presents sound quite interesting," she said as she passed Aerin and went into the hall, only to lose her as she scurried off to collect Cicero. Ash was only halfway down the stairs when her student returned with the bounding enthusiasm of youth. The beautiful brunette paused in her step to allow Aerin to catch up.

The main foyer was empty, and the most logical place aside that for such beautiful gifts was the sitting room. Ashari placed a hand at the curve of Aerin's spine and ushered her in before her. "Go have a seat, mmm?" She suggested while offering a smile to those seated. Well played, Aerin... very well played.

The would-be students were given a view of a very young woman. Ashari might act the part of aged intelligence well, but she was only a teen and it showed both in her face and physique. She had some growing to do. Though her figure was filled out it wasn't yet finished. It was her eyes that suggested her emotional age. They tempered against the rest of her physical form to show her poise and swiftly passed over the new recruits. "Aerin, what a lovely surprise," she said with a sly grin as her gray eyes shifted toward her first student. "Why don't you introduce me to your friends," Ash remained standing.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Aerin collected herself with a smile, shifting Cicero to her shoulder as she walked closer to the applicants. She stopped before Paige with a smile and turned to face Ashari, stepping back to a position right beside Paige and placing her hand upon the girl’s shoulder, her fingers clenching lightly to reassure the young woman. “Mistress Ashari, this is Paige Skiewynd…” Aerin announced. “…a former unwilling companion…” Aerin winked at Paige, avoiding the term slave. “…from Aveas who now wishes to enter the trade willingly, if you would like to have her.” Aerin gave a small pause in her introduction to allow Paige a few words if she wished and moved to Trevyn.

“And this, Mistress, is Trevyn Sayres, a second-generation Companion, whose mother served both here in the Citadel and in Aveas and, although he does not know if she was a Rose herself, she did pass on to him an appreciation for the Roses that preceded us.” Aerin took a flicker to pass behind Trevyn and peek out from behind the other shoulder. “…and he’s a healer of sorts, trained in massage… always helpful in a house full of women, mmm?” Aerin allowed her trademark grin to pop up for a short showing, also allowing the young man the same opportunity for speech afforded to Paige before she stepped over to the final member of her little troupe, the remarkable blonde who still gave Aerin a nagging sense of familiarity.

“And, finally, we have Yelena Kintessia, Mistress…” Aerin continued, giving Yelena’s shoulder a light, friendly squeeze. “…a beautiful little bard straight from the land of T'aquar, daughter of an Emerald Guardsman. She is well educated and disciplined…I could learn a lot from her, I think…” the redhead said with a final smile before walking to Ashari’s side, staying silent for a few flickers so that Yelena could speak as well if she wished.

“Shall I fetch drinks, Mistress, so that you can get to know these fine people as I have?” Aerin offered, knowing that because of their short meeting in Simple Pleasures, she already had a small head start over Ashari as far as familiarity but the semi-rigid formality of the greeting and introductions made Aerin feel as good as she felt when lifting rocks with the youthful mage in the search for Aeris and the three people present in Ashari’s house seemed, to Aerin, to immediately subtract from the loneliness that the very walls seemed to exude as well as the impending feeling of Ashari having to ‘start all over’ with only one student – as far as Aerin knew – to her name.
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Wed May 14, 2008 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Paige
Civus

Post by Paige »

Paige smiled at the sight of the cute monkey on Aerin's shoulder, then quickly shifted her gaze to Ashari. Paige was surprised to see how young she looked, but the adhiel knew all too well that age was merely a state of mind. With a polite bow of her dark head in acknowledgment of Ashari, Paige waited until Aerin was done introducing her and once she had finished, the raven-haired woman slowly stood up, smoothing out the wrinkles in her blood-red skirt.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," Paige said in a polite tone, flashing a gentle smile. She wasn't sure what else to say so she paused for a few flickers and then took her seat again next to Trevyn. Paige had desperately hoped to make a good impression on Ashari, for she knew that first impressions were everything.
Last edited by Paige on Wed May 14, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

The moment that Ashari had entered the room Yelena had her eyes cleanly- and perhaps obviously- fixed on her. The first thing Yelena noticed was that she was very young. She must have been a very mature or strong willed person to run the Rose, and her appearance helped reinforce that belief in Yelena. Following Paige's lead, she also stood up to greet Ashari. “A-ah, yes it's nice to meet you.” As she sat back down she found herself staring, trying to find any hint of how Ashari was. Yelena was really curious of how she would greet them.
[size=75]"All days are nights to see till I see thee, And nights bright days when dreams do show thee to me." - [i]Shakespeare[/i]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Let's move this forward a wee bit. Trev, don't be shy. ^.~

IC:

Ash was a little surprised at how quickly Aerin was stepping into the shoes of a senior student, as well as how attuned she was to the necessities. She would make a fine companion if she could continue on the path that had been laid before her. "Yes, how about some tea? It's a bit early for anything stronger, I think," she said with a lighthearted smile to hopefully lower the tension in the room. The Guildmistress had already imbibed a good deal of wine, and adding any additional alcohol at the moment just seemed like a bad idea.

It was actually the case that Aerin was adjusting more easily to her role than Ashari was to her own. Having, so far, Yelena and Paige stand up in turn and introduce themselves with polite (and reserved) responses made for the mage to feel like the woman of power she was becoming. Until now, anyone who met her treated her like a normal woman - one who was not of any station nor importance. These new students gave for her to slip into the skin of the Caesarii that she wished to be.

When Trevyn took his opportunity to stand and meekly introduce himself, Ash took her chance to have a seat and wait on Aerin to return with some beverages. It would take her a few burns, as there was no hot water ready, so that meant she could be alone with the fresh arrivals. "I imagine it is your intentions to join my guild, is that suggestion correct?"

She waited only on appropriate head-nods or murmers of agreement before continuing. "If that is the case, let me say welcome." The last word fell with a gentle tone stuffed with warmth and serenity the way a mother might say goodnight to her babe. The beautiful brunette folded her hands together on her lap and smiled softly. Bare feet poked out from beneath her skirts. Ash hated wearing shoes unless necessary, and hadn't been expecting guests so hadn't thought to put any on.

"Please, all of you, take a breath and stop looking at me like I might eat you. I'm not a monsterous viper," she allowed a full-on grin with all it's spectacular glory of her well aligned teeth (a rarity, for sure) that glowed with fun. "Tell me where you're all from, and what you want to learn - oh, and why, too." The teacher reclined in her seat, ready to hear their reasons. Even relaxed she retained her poise like a woman prepared for anything.
Trevyn Sayres
Civus

Post by Trevyn Sayres »

"Please forgive my earlier shyness, Mistress," Trevyn began to address Ashari. "I have wanted to be a Red Rose Guild trained companion since I was very young, so as you may imagine, I am both extremely excited and a bit nervous. My mother told me many wonderful stories about companions from the guild, and often during my youth on Aveas, I would pretend to be the companion of my fellow panlings during playtime. I am quite overwhelmed at the moment."
Though feeling like he was rambling, Trevyn continued. "As far as what things I would like to learn, there are many. For example, I would like to be able to perfect my healing skills and integrate them into the art of companionship. I also would like to be more socially adept, as sometimes I feel like I come off a bit 'rough around the edges'. Finally, I am interested in learning about the Citadel, it's leadership, and the role that you envision the Red Rose Guild having in regards to both."
- Hassan I Sabbah[/size]

[size=75]Avatar courtesy of Fialessa Valenstri, with my deepest gratitude.[/size]
Paige
Civus

Post by Paige »

Paige sat silently, listening to Trevyn introduce himself to Ashari. The blue-eyed adhiel started to wonder how she would answer the young woman's questions, for Paige was unsure of exactly what she wished to learn by joining the guild. Assuming her reply would probably be unsatisfactory, Paige began to feel a bit overwhelmed and silently cursed herself. She looked back from Yelena and to Trevyn. The two of them possessed skills that would fit them comfortably within the guild and not to mention, Paige knew that they were definitely more educated than she was. Looking down to her hands, which she was fidgeting with slightly, Paige wondered what a former slave would have to offer. Yes, she possessed beauty and she knew how to please the gentlemen folk, but Paige knew that wouldn't be enough to get by and she simply didn't want that to be all there was to her.

Once Trevyn had finished speaking, Paige knew that it was her turn. Slowly turning her eyes back to Ashari, she smiled politely and pushed all other thoughts from her mind. This was it, either the young woman would accept her response or she wouldn't. Either way, Paige would get along in life and make her way. If she just kept that mind frame, the raven-haired beauty knew things would be alright eventually.

"I am from the Aveas," Paige replied straight faced, it surprised her that the tone of voice she was using had remained so calm, "I learned of companionship when I was young and it has always struck my fancy to either learn more about it or become a companion myself someday."

"As for what I wish to learn, I must be truthful with you and mention that I haven't thought that far ahead yet," the adhiel was being truthful and that could either be a good or bad thing for her, but Paige continued, "I can tell you one thing, I will strive to achieve whatever it is you set before me and when I focus in on something, I am determined to see it through to the very end."
Last edited by Paige on Tue May 20, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Yelena was very troubled while Paige and Trevyn gave their answers to Ashari. Usually it would be easy for her to find some answers to the questions people had asked her, but ever since she arrived to the Citadel they became increasingly more and more difficult to answer. Where she was from was not the problem, but rather what and why she wanted to learn. The answer to that seemed to stagger in inconsistency every time she thought about it, so she was absolutely sure about it. It did not show on her face but Yelena was annoyed.

After Paige finished and it was Yelena's turn, she quietly exhaled. “I am from T'aquar and the reason why I came to the Citadel to become a companion was because I wanted to experience life outside of the forest. Not that the forest is bad...” Her last sentence had a quieter tone, not that she intended for it but a part of her did miss T'aquar even though she had only been away for a short while. “Also I have not really thought about what I wanted to learn myself, but I believe with you as a mentor, Aerin, and everyone I would be able to find what it is.”
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Aerin did as bid and fetched tea for those assembled; smiling to herself once her face was hidden from view, happy to be helping out in more ways than Ashari probably knew about. As she awaited the water to boil, Aerin peeked back out at the group, happy that Ashari was playing along with Aerin’s ‘game’. The redhead had garnered both the fortune and misfortune of meeting Ashari at a low point in the woman’s life – friend/student killed, guild house destroyed…certainly Aeris was not the only thing of value within those walls that was taken from the young guild mistress…and the reasoning behind it all still a mystery to both of them.

Aerin had kept it a secret as to why she had chosen to naggingly refer to Ashari as ‘Mistress’ even though Ashari did not ask for it and, certainly to onlookers, it would seem a bit odd for an elder to call her younger companion by a higher title, even if the title was truly earned. Aerin did it as both reaffirmation of her promise to Ashari to follow orders and learn, as well as an affirmation for Ashari herself – to bolster the younger girl’s self-image during this crucial stage in the healing process. To make Ashari seem and – more importantly – feel powerful. To take the mundane path to Becca’s magick and weave an illusion for others until the truth was strong enough to stand on its own.

’Sell the illusion, girl…SELL it – if you don’t you’re dead and we’re dead right along with you. Lyin’ to others is damned easy once you learn that the trick is lying to yourself first. The mark’s lookin’ for a whore? You tell yourself that you are such a slut that even Panlings would be disgusted and shun you from one o’ their fuck-fests. The mark wants a virgin? You convince yourself that you ain’t never seen a dick, much less sucked or fucked one. Hell, tell yourself you don’t even know men have ‘em if you need to, but if they see doubt in your eyes, or hear a crackle in your voice because you don’t believe it, then neither will they. And that’s death, Aerin, plain and simple.’ Gaston’s lesson flowed through her memory – a crash course from one of Rat’s crew that had nowhere near taught her the finer points of lying, but had started her down the path.

While she did not have to convince any present about her sexual purity, a lie was a lie and, as she gathered up the cups and kettle on the tray and strolled back into the room, Aerin’s poise still tried to sell the lie that the Red Rose Guild remained strong and that Ashari was untouched by recent loss and remained as cool and poised as she had been for the months that Aerin had known her - as it seemed to her to be a bad sign to come out and tell them before that she had only known Ashari for less than a week.

“Mistress…” Aerin stated when opportunity presented itself, lowering the tray to Ashari first in order to allow the woman to make her tea as strong or weak as she desired and take it before moving down the line to do the same for the others before taking a seat herself, mixing her own while allowing Cicero to munch happily on nuts if he wanted. Aerin sat half-poised in her own chair, mimicking the near-regal stance that she had maintained in Simple Pleasures.

'Keep sellin' the lie till we tell ya to stop.'
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Fri May 23, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari was so impressed with her pretty presents and she looked over them adoringly. Each had their own little facet which she could already see herself exploiting. Not exploiting.. taking advantage of.. no.. exploring.. no.. realizing. Yes. Realizing their potential and displaying for all the world to see and wish to have for themselves! Paige, for one, might recognize the hawkish appraisal of each of them as they spoke. Pimps did it, madams, too. For her it would be the slave traders in Amun Rah to who mirrored her intent inspection. There was a slight difference to hers, however, for she seemed interested in who they were as well.

Behind her eyes gears were turning as notes about each one of them were tucked away into corners to be read at later times. "You all seem lovely.

"I'm not sure how much Aerin has told you," she started. "But the guild house burned down. It's a miracle that the fire was maintained before it could touch any of the temples that were along side it. I do apologize for you three having arrived without getting to see it's new home, but I am thankful, for it meant you all are safe. I lost a student in those flames - and almost Aerin as well." The redhead arrived almost on cue and Ash waited for her to get settled before starting to pour her drink. "But I am not halted - nor even paused - in my pursuits."

Tan fingers wrapped around the tankard to absorb the warmth from it's clay. A delicate leg swung over the other, and Ashari's dainty toes dangled in the air with metronome-like regularity. "I see in all four of you the beauty, strength, intelligence and charm that the Red Rose Guild needs... but it is unrefined and in need of polishing, of trimming and of the proper light. I should like to do all these things for you - and will teach you how to be the people you weren't born to be, but will become." The beautiful brunette shifted the mug from one hand to the other.

"First, I must say, this is not your mother's Red Rose Guild," she grinned with the evident joking sarcasm of the colloqial saying. "That is to say, we have no affiliation with the previous, and... in respect to the fallen guild's ashes, I should be considering renaming the Guild. Perhaps if any of you have suggestions I'd hear them.

"Second, referring to the previous guild as well as the general occupation of those present. This is not a brothel. No one will be paying you for your sex. You will be learning what it means to be a member of court and due to my involvement will be invited to important events where you will be permitted to rub shoulders with the nobility of the Seven Isles and abroad. There may be times when someone buys from me the chance to spend time alone with you or to take you to a function. Consider this a priviledge and treat them with the respect they deserve. I wouldn't... expect anything like that immediately, though." That was an utter lie. Ashari full well anticipated putting these able-bodied young people to use immediately.

"Third, regarding payment. Trevyn, your mother must've suggested that the guild was not inexpensive. You will sign a contract to me of thirty crown." She took a sip and allowed that to settle onto their shoulders. None of them would've ever considered such an amount within their grasp. It was a number yahren of good, hard-earned income. One could, with careful savings, amass it, but it wouldn't be easy. "The tea is perfect, Aerin, thank you." It was a fruity blend imported from Pan's Isle before Aveas existed.

"This money will earn you an education as well as introductions. You will have the backing of the Caesar, just as I do, for I carry the Imperial Seal. It will make you desirable beyond what you can yet realize.

"But, this contract will also make you indebted to me for as long as it takes to pay back the loan. There is also a clause that prepares for your inability to pay the loan back by your completion of classes at which time I reserve the right to sell your contract so as to recoup the price for housing you, teaching you, feeding you and clothing you.

"Questions thus far?"
Last edited by Ashari on Sat May 24, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paige
Civus

Post by Paige »

To Paige, most of what Ashari had said sounded a lot like slavery. However, the beautiful adhiel knew that it would be different than the sort that she was use to, or hoped for that matter. For having escaped slavery only so recently, one would wonder why Paige would even consider mixing herself up in something like this. Yet, she knew that this would be a leg up for her from the likes of the slavery she experienced in her past. Paige had very little money to her name, no place to call home and what little respect she had for herself, well that had vanished many yahren before. Who knew, perhaps when this contract expired one day, Paige may very well be better off than she was now. The adhiel knew that she had nothing to lose and perhaps mingling with high society, she might find out where her sister was located. Besides, she couldn't say 'no' to getting a bit of an education. This was the fist opportunity to cross Paige's path and she was going to dive in, eyes closed, head first. After all, signing herself to another would ensure her safety from her former master, or atleast she hoped it would.

Taking in each and every word, Paige watched Ashari's body language. She was very impressed with how someone who looked so young, held herself with such confidence and authority. It was something Paige began to admire in the young woman. With a small smile, the dark-haired woman straightened her posture and pondered on Ashari's question. Did Paige have any questions? Oddly enough, she only had one on her mind.

Where do I sign? The question formed in her mind, making Paige chuckle silently. She hadn't expected that question to come to mind so quickly. Yes, it was strange that when signing a contract on your life that Paige had no questions. Was she ignorant? Well some would think so, but in all actuality, she just simply had nothing to lose.

Waiting to see if Trevyn or Yelena would respond first, Paige glanced over to Aerin and then back to Ashari. After a few flickers it was obvious no one else was going to reply just yet, so she took it upon herself to answer.

"I know this sounds odd," Paige began, her eyes focused on Ashari's, "but I honestly don't have any questions, except for one."

Clearing her throat, Paige knew that what she was about to say might be regarded as strange or simply stupid, but at this point she simply didn't care, "Where do I sign up?"
Last edited by Paige on Tue May 27, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

From the moment that Ashari started talking Yelena could feel an aura that emanated from the woman. The way she spoke and the way she used her words commanded attention. The way Ashari moved and the look in her eyes all helped in her explanation of the Guild. Yelena listened very intently. She was glad that training was offered, not that she did not expect it but because learning anything to help in the profession was a plus.

To mingle with the nobility of the Seven Isles and have the Caesar's backing was intriguing to Yelena, besides the fact that they were the higher caste, it showed that Ashari had a big influence around the Citadel. The contract was also not a problem. Yelena fully understood the conditions of the contract, that she was signing herself into ownership, but she had decided to come to the Red Rose Guild herself. It was not something she would turn back on now.

“No, I have no questions. Although I would also like to know where to sign up.” The girl glanced at Paige with a smile.
Trevyn Sayres
Civus

Post by Trevyn Sayres »

Thirty crown. Trevyn thought seriously. Trevyn was indeed aware of just how much a financial commitment one made when becoming a guild trained companion. However, the fact that Ashari had mentioned completely divorcing the current guild from its previous incarnation made a thirty crown commitment just a little less appealing to him--whether or not she carried the Imperial Seal. Given the state of the guards at the Harbour Gates, Trevyn could not say that he had a very high opinion of how the guards reflected the nobility of the Citadel. And, if the training provided should prove to be substandard, as some fledgling guilds his mother had warned him about had shown, then Trevyn would be guaranteeing himself a life of servitude. Well, do I risk it or do I back out and let the opportunity pass me by? Trevyn asked himself.

After a few more flickers of thought, Trevyn turned to Ashari. "Please forgive me for being a bit inquisitive, Mistress," Trevyn began, "but as thirty crown is indeed a great commitment, I was hoping that you would share with us a little more detail about the depth and breadth of our educations. Will you be providing all of our lessons or will we be enrolled concurrently in various other finishing schools? And approximately how long do you expect it to take for each of us to complete our training, per the contract to which you refer? Also, what are your expectations of our behavior both within the walls of the guild as well as in the Citadel at large? And I guess, finally, would you mind telling us a little bit more about yourself and how you wound up becoming guildmistress? Again, I am sorry for all the questions, but I really do like to know clearly what I am getting myself into before I do something."
- Hassan I Sabbah[/size]

Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Aerin smiled brightly as Paige and Yelena mimicked the same behavior that Aerin herself had exhibited at the ruins. No questions. Total trust. Blind faith in a path which just seemed right.

When it came time for Trevyn’s turn, however, Aerin did two things at once. The first was her smile quickly snapped open and gripped her lower lip in a grip so tight that it might be construed as borderline self-cannibalism, her cheeks flushing quickly from salmon pink to coral to rose to scarlet to crimson, finally seeming to halt on a light shade of firebrick. The second thing she did was take a motherly interest in her furry companion, her wide jade eyes focused on Cicero’s own browns pleadingly wishing the monkey would scurry off somewhere that she would have to give chase as she knew, in light of her recent sexual escapades within a day of entering the abode, she might well find a calling in life serving as an example to others.

She, herself, was curious as to how someone who looked far too young to have mastered the arts of Companionship had wound up as a tutor to her peers and even elders, but Aerin stayed quiet on the matter as she kept her attention on Cicero’s nut supply and fur, her mind already hearing inflictions in Ashari’s forthcoming answer on behavior aimed primarily at herself.

Not that she did not deserve it. Aerin was sure that lesser people than Ashari would have directed her back to the rubble by which she had been found after what had happened with the old fisherman. There had not been a flicker that had gone by since that fateful mark that Aerin did not count her blessings like a dragon supposedly counted coins and the bones of its prey.

In utter silence, Aerin awaited the answers.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Girls, I do appreciate your enthusiasm!" Ash said with a smile. "And Trevyn... do not apologize for interest. If there is one thing that I do enjoy about men it's that they rarely allow their heads above water without realizing what's below," she allowed them to figure out the metaphor without further description. Instead, she swiftly moved onto his posed questions.

"A bit about myself would be good for all of you to learn, as well as some more about your education." Ashari sipped gently at the hot tea. "Seeing as I do enjoy talking about myself, I'll start with that." It was a bold lie, but one she was comfortable in telling. Ash was hardly shy. That was for certain. She did have a tendency of exuding confidence, but it was quite without thought and definately not pre-meditated. With these new buds, however, she was putting on a full show.

"I am from Western Terra - right outside King's Court. My father was in the military and if you spend any good amount of time with me you'll soon see I have a fondness for those who are in service. It's a great burden and one I respect very much. My mother spent her time taking care of myself and my two older brothers," she smiled. "She knew a woman's place. As I'm sure you're willing to guess - I don't." Here she regarded those of the fairer gender. "Hopefully none of you are trapped by your stereotypes." She could've listed them - each for their own little cliche, but she didn't. Such introspective lessons would be saved for private times. She'd already had oppertunity to give Aerin such a lesson, though the redhead was perfectly unaware.

"I followed, somewhat, in my father's footsteps in King's Court. Right after my seventeenth yahren I was defending the walls of the capital and the crown from savage orcs. We defeated them. We also defeated the Regent who was behind many crimes against the people and re-instated Prince Balthasar to his position - Dominicus rest his soul." Though she was no believer in the One god she understood her king's allegiance and was perfectly comfortable paying the lipservice.

There was no excessive bravado to her statements. Infact, Ash was non-challant about her heroics. "Here in the Citadel I served the Empire against the Changer - a demon of great netheric power. We suppressed it and pushed it back from where it came.

"It was almost directly after the battle with the demon that I began to wonder about my future here in the Empire. I realized that I didn't want to go back to the West. I find I enjoy this place and also it's people. A friend of mine offered me a position I couldn't refuse as well as the financial backing to begin ressurecting the Rose Guild."

Ashari gave very few unecessary movements. She wasn't one to talk with her hands, nor give excessive facial expressions. Rather, she sat fairly still while explaining her past to her new students. "With that and my own money I purchased the house that would work as a guild and hired teachers as well as started seeking out students. Then... then there was the fire," she sighed. "Devastating. I was forced to re-evaluate what I would do as a Guild Mistress. That leaves you all to help me find that path."

Here, she paused and took a sip of the sweet tea. "My original vision of the guild was to fall directly in path of the first. I find now that was a mistake. It would have involved numerous teachers, who I've now let go as well as a tight schedule of classes and study periods.

"Lucky for you, things have changed. Instead, you will work first with me. We will establish your personal course. Every student will have their own path to follow. Do not be surprised if your fellow is practicing the mandolin while you do maths. This will be to reflect your aptitudes, as it will do no one any good to be smashed into a pattern they cannot fit.

"Aerin, for one, is quite the accomplished actress," here she looked to her senior most student (if only by days). "And I do hope she might impart onto the rest of you some of what she's learned."

"Aside from your personal course, which may involve private tutors in addition to my attention, there will be required group classes. There are some things which you all must learn, no matter what. Dance, etiquette and the art of seduction will be of the utmost importance, as well as specialized classes such as massage, beautification and meditation. All of which will help you in your bright futures.

"As I hinted, not all of these subjects will be covered by myself - though I must admit a great fondness for them all. I have a partnership with several members of the clergy who will be helping with some of your classes as well as some other teachers who will come in for specific subjects. As to the length of your courses - well, this is a little bit different from a regular school. It is a Guild after all. Membership may be for life - so long as you don't pay your way out or so long as your contract isn't sold. There is also the option of different membership of the guild as you gain in abilities - but, that is a matter to be discussed on a more private level."

Ashari cleared her throat suggesting that unless there were futher questions on that subject, that it was closed. "Your behavior, in the Guildhouse or outside the walls, is to be of the utmost and highest. You are nobility, or... that is what I wish for you to stride for. There is something to be said for 'letting your hair down', though. Here, in my house, I hope you will be relaxed so that you might learn better. There will be times when I might demand things - dinner attendance or proper attire, but, we are still people, and we are still learning - even myself.

"If you wish to get a job, I do not frown on it. I encourage it. If you need help in finding one, ask me, I do know of several places that are looking for help once I've gotten you a bit trained." Rosalie was not far from her mind. "The only thing I require are your mornings, until noon-tide. Your classes will generally take place during those marks excepting for rare circumstances. There will also be social gatherings you are to be invited to. It is not my fault if you get fired for needing to be away. You must deal with your employer and you may not enter under any contract without my consent." She hoped she made herself clear on that.

"Anything else?"
Trevyn Sayres
Civus

Post by Trevyn Sayres »

"Thank you, Mistress, for entertaining my questions," Trevyn said, nodding towards Ashari as if to suggest a bow. "I am content with what you are offering and would like to sign up for the guild, as well."
- Hassan I Sabbah[/size]

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ashari, not wanting the momentum of their conversation to slow, paused only long enough to see if there were any other inspired questions before rising from her spot. "Perfect. Well, it would seem everything is in order, then. If any of you have belongings which you've left at taverns, inns, brothels or religious institutions," Pecunia's temples served as places inwhich things might be safeguarded or left to be protected. "Then I suggest going to gather them to bring them to your new home. For... I do wish for you all to think upon this as your home where you are safe and looked after."

She bent and placed the almost emptied tea cup on the tray that Aerin had provided when she initially entered with the steaming beverages. "I expect you to return back in three marks. That ought be plenty of time to choose rooms, have a proper tour of the house and clean up before a nice dinner - wouldn't you agree?" Ash didn't need for them to agree for that to be the term that was placed. In the mean time she had some things to discuss with Aerin. She was going to have a job to do, and there were still some things to be worked out. In time her new students would have their own little jobs to be doing. Aerin was about to go on her first Companion mission and it had already started out on a rather... bumpy path. Hopefully Yelena, Paige and Trevyn wouldn't have such a rough time.

"Aerin, leave the dishes and remind your new class mates on the way to the front door. I'll take the Caesar into the private den. Join me there when you're done." Ashari reached to the bowl and retrieved one of the already cracked nuts. She made a clicking noise with her tongue, one generally reserved for gaining a horse's attention, and then reached an arm out for the little monkey to either take her hand or climb on her.

Her own exit was without fanfare or big to-do. She knew she'd be seeing them all shortly enough, and this brief hiatus provided them the chance to flee into the city if they had cold feet. She'd rather know now before sinking any time or (worse) monetary investment into them. Skirts swished around bare feet as she passed from the open sitting room into the hall way, down a corrider and into the depths of the house that none of them knew the niches of. They would all now have the vague direction of "den" in their minds, however. Perhaps that would be of some use eventually.
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Aerin nodded in compliance, her cheeks still flushed but gradually regaining color. Ashari had chosen to not pin her up as an example of what not to do, whereas he father… Aerin’s father would have relished the opportunity in order to keep Aerin’s younger siblings in line. Aerin once again found reason to adore her younger mentor even if the mysterious call to the private den did carry with it a sense of ‘It won’t happen in public, but it will happen’ in regards to changes in her behavior when it came to the others. It certainly would not bode well for Aerin to be the bad apple which spoiled the bunch.

Aerin would walk the others to the door, reminding them of the time frame as well as pointing toward the staircase. “Please let yourselves back in and choose a room as Mistress Ashari instructed. The rooms are at the top of the stairs and to the left – the Mistress’ chambers are to the right.” Aerin paused and gave her sweetest smile. “Mine is the room closest to the baths…” she continued, clearing both her throat and possible innuendo a half of a flicker later. “…just so you know, I mean. The other rooms are all open.”

Aerin opened the door for her new classmates and gave one final instruction. “Just in case my meeting with the Mistress is not concluded when you return, please feel free to unpack and make yourselves to home in the rest of the house…save for the dirty office through those doors.” She shook both an index finger and her head at the thought. “Mistress Ashari has memories in this house, that room especially. Disturbing anything in there without her permission would probably not be good.”

She gave a final smile and a small nod. “Three marks. Maybe less, but no more, alright?” After awaiting confirmation for only a half a burn, Aerin excused herself to the den for her meeting. She was, by the time she reached the den, far less chipper and bouncy than she had been when she had first entered the house a quarter to a half mark earlier. Her ‘serious’ face was on and her hands folded neatly before her as she closed the door after entry.

“You wished to speak with me, Mistress?” she asked with the innocent tone of a child whose fingers were coated in cookie crumbs and was about to receive a scolding.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: I get the impression that this thread is finished as far as Paige, Yelena and Trevyn are concerned. If so, feel free to move onto Roses Returning - Thalas Manse - Chyril 27th Eveningtide unless you'd like to do a thread in-between of getting your belongings and getting to know the Citadel a bit better (which can be run at the same time, it's not a problem to have more than one thread at a time - just make sure you start that before you post to Roses Returning). See you there! Can't wait to see what sort of trouble we can get into! Welcome to the new Guild, kids.

IC:

"Why do you look so prepared for trouble? I swear your feet are dragging..." Ashari said while brushing Caesar Cicero's fluffy fur with a soft bristled brush that she'd found somewhere in her travels which she thought would suit this purpose rather perfectly. The dark skinned beauty didn't look up from what she was doing. Instead, it was the sound of her pupil's approach that suggested the girl's hesitance at entering. "Come then, sit down... tell me something I don't know." To what she was referring she didn't elude. Rather, she allowed for Aerin to fill in the blank.
Last edited by Ashari on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Inner City Archive”