Chyril 27th - Of Cat and Hawk

Moderator: Mods

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Chyril 27th - Of Cat and Hawk

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Early morningtide, Chyril 27th

Catherine flowed through the movements that formed the basis of the Kanthrop's martial arts, letting go of her fears and doubts about the upcoming departure. The leopard shifter was dressed in the traditional garb of a Kanthrop, a Kanthar wraped expertly around her form and a green Famirl to hold it all in place.

At the end of her training, she stretched, took a look at those few belongings she would take with her and went to look for Oni, knowing that the Kanthan wanted to talk to her. A meeting she did not look forward to...
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

The morningtide was a peaceful one. The novelty of the foreign guests in their village had already started to wear off, especially when word started to spread that they would leave imminently. As such the past tides had heard less talk about the strangers and seen some intensified traffic to the landing site where the Tal'Fea, the flying ship of the invaders, still stood. Where the condottiere soldiers seemed busy assessing their situation, aswell as preparing for the flight back, the Kanthrop went about their daily routine. Kit spent a lot of time around the wooden structure standing on the Festival Grounds, looking at the soldiers work.

Catherine went looking for Oni. Knowing the Kanthan rather well it did not take her at all long to locate the stern figure. The woman in her distinguishing white robe was sat outside of her tent. The sunlight of the early morningtide barely peeking over the Skymyst she seemed to be meditating, sitting cross-legged on the ground.

The village was still quite silent.

"Good morning Catherine." The Kanthan spoke, eyes closed, as the kanthrop approached. "Please, join me." The Kanthan's voice was calm and steady. Almost a whisper as she basked in the first rays of sunlight. Seemingly enjoying the simple pleasure of living as much as focusing on her breathing excersises. "I am glad you came to see me. Though Petran might be better suited to handle this conversation, he has been occupied at the border gate for several days now." The Kanthan slowly opened her eyes and sought Catherine's. "How are you feeling today?"
Last edited by Brytan on Tue May 06, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

OOC: Apologies for the long wait (again!), finals are consuming most of my time, my posting will be erratic for at least a month.

IC:
As Catherine walked through the village that been her home she savoured the sights, realizing that it might take a long while before she'ld see it again. She might need the memories of a peaceful live in the days to come. "For everyone to live their lives as they want to..." A thought that had become a litany against her fear of the world outside the Kanthrop's stronghold. The world of humans who would persecute her if they ever learned her true nature.

The golden-haired shapeshifter smiled a sad smile when she saw the kit. Before the strangers' arrival the Kanthrop had never really seen how beautiful the little community was. "It is only in leaving that we see that true beauty of what we have come to take for granted," she pondered while her eyes scanned her surroundings, looking for Oni.

When she found the Kanthan she walked toward her, gazing at the sunset. On Oni's invitation Cat sat down across her and replied: "A strange mixture of sadness and eagerness. Sadness that I leave behind that which I dear to me. Eager because I can set out into a world unknown," she smirked, "curiosity... A trait of my inner self," she sighed, "Even though the animal inside me looks forward to this journey, my mind tells me that it is going to be different from everything I have ever seen. It will be difficult in a world where I must hide my true self."
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Oni nodded. Her demeanor was less rigid as it had been during her meeting with Quinlan. The past eveningtide Catherine had overheard some of the talk around the elder's fire concerning the meeting. Most of them seemed glad that the strangers would go, but Quinlan's warning of more coming did not pass them idly by. Scout reports had come in of another group of strangers traveling earlily close to the island with destination unknown, which was why Petran was indeed not there to prepare his own pupil for the journey ahead of her.

"Every kit at one point or another chooses their own path. Some remain here to aid the village and train the young that are brought to us. Others, like yourself seek the outside world. They are given this..."

The kanthan handed Catherine a small leather pouch. "Within the pouch is a shard of Ursa's Heart. It will grant you access to the island when used near another large quantity of the same stone, like the cave on Pan's Isle below. We don't know how it works exactly, but take it with you and keep it safe."

Oni looked at Catherine, waiting for her to accept the pouch before continuing. "In the old days these pouches were granted upon the first warp of a kit during the Festival. But much has changed so now I grant you yours with less ceremony. It comes with a warning aswell. One you have no doubt heard and already seem to be aware of. I'll repeat it none the less. The outsiders will seek to destroy that which is different without cause. That is why we only travel off the island in our warped shape or wearing this..."

She picked up another parcel that rested by her side, a leather garment tinted in browns and grays Catherine hadn't often seen before.

"This cloak is made of wolf skin. We hunt predators that invade our lands and use their hides to make these. It has a cowl to hide your eyes from the world as you invade the land of the outsiders. There are not many of these, this one is Petran's. He wanted you to have it."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Catherine excepted the pouch and carefully tucked it away in her famirl, she knew how precious the gift was and its significance. She was glad that it was given to her in this manner, the solitary Kanthrop had never been one to enjoy the ceremonies, especially not if she were to be at the center of one.

With some hesitation Catherine accepted the cloak, she knew the value of this gift. That Petran had given up his own cloak for her was a surprise to the leopard shifter. It was true that she and Petran shared many character traits due to their animals likeness but she had never guessed that he would honour her in such a way.

Her hands trembled slightly as she touched the folded cloak: "I understand... This is..." the blonde-haired woman shook her head, at a loss for words.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"May the Mother watch over your journey Catherine. Regardless of how you think of me, or the outlanders, remember that the tribe must always be safe. Our people must always be protected. Keep our teachings in mind as you travel and return to teach us when you have learned. Our people are at the dawn of a new age, despite how we might feel about it."

Oni's eyes turned to the Inn, where two men had stood talking and who now walked inside. The outlander Quinlan and Jerin, the innkeeper. Teladriane was walking down the hill with two rather large water skins under her arms. Two kit sat talking on the other side of the village.

It was morningtide, and life was stirring. Soon there would be even more of a stir...

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”