Forest Gates; Jadmai the Whip 27th early TT

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Jadmai
Civus

Forest Gates; Jadmai the Whip 27th early TT

Post by Jadmai »

The main gate to Pax is known as the Forest Gate. It is usually manned by two bored looking guards of the Pax Honestus, the legion formed to keep order in the new outpost. Apart from the usual farm traffic that comes to and fro on a regular basis, most new arrivals come through the portal and the gate guards have little to do save stare into the nearby forest. Paths from the gate lead down into the forest and the River Clearwater.

The most notable thing apparent to new arrivals is not the gate or guards but rather the long, high, elegant walls of the town. The Wall (Pax) has an air of balance and grace to it, despite the fact that it also looked sturdy enough to withstand whole armies - and its design was somehow foreign to the eyes - unlike everything else in Pax, which was simple and functional and the very opposite of beautiful, the wall was built to some completely different standard. As if it had been plucked from elsewhere, from another city, and simply plonked here without thought. Or as if it had always been here, in spirit.

The dapper looking Sergeant Caverton often tends the gate. He is assisted by Private Jarren Youngblood

Jadmai approached the gate his backpack still resting securely on his back, his blades still tucked away inside, along with his armor. He thought it would be best to march around a new town as if he was looking for a fight--he was though, just not here.

He saw the two guards standing at their post, though he was still a fair distance away he used his adhiel sight to see which insignia likely provided the higher rank. But that was hardly needed he realized once he took a good look at the men, the one humans would probably find more attractive and was well kept gave away that he was either vane or higher up in rank. It would be that fellow who he would talk to.

Jadmai nodded to the higher ranking man as he came close, "Good day to you, sir. I hope it has been uneventful for you...in your line of work probably means you get to go home to your loved ones...or at least go to a pub to find someone to love, eh?" Jadmai smirked a little and went on, "I have come straight from the Provost's office, and he had informed me that an aquaintence of mine, Ulder, has gone out on a bit of hunt for some disturbers of the peace. Well, I can't let him all the glory, his head might grow to be large for his neck. By and by, have you seen his head, it's huge. it's like an orange held up by a toothpick. Anyways, the Provost has given me full permission to join that party. I suspect the party won't be too hard to track, though I have minimal skill in that reguard as it were. So, I was wondering if you two have a page of sorts I could use to see if someone would rent me a horse...an extremely mellow horse, and perhaps a guide? You two good men, have anything like that?"

Jadmai then waited for a response, with a finger on his chin, and idly tapping an idle figure on his portly purse.
"...war is the last flower on the evil tree."-- Betrand Russel
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

ooc: Going to jump in here considering, Jadmai and myself are at the same spot. Just wanted to lighten the load a little bit. I hope this is okay.

The sun shone proudly high above, as Shylah made her way closer and closer to Pax's Forest Gate. She shivered slightly as a cool breeze drifted by, making the young, red-head beauty quicken her pace. She had grown weary of traveling and in desperate need of some rest. It was tradetide and Shylah figured that arriving in the city at this point in the day would be good for her, leaving her some time to rest and explore the city. Yet, she kept her thoughts firmly grasped around the idea of visiting the Provost Office, for she needed to speak to someone there about gaining some property so she could open up a business for healing. It had been her dream to run a business of her own in hopes of helping people and animals. If there were a lack of healers in this city, then Shylah knew she had come to the right place. Still, she had to find out for herself than go along on mere rumors.

With each step that she took, the butterflies started to form in the pit of her stomach at an alarmingly, rapid pace. Just what was she so nervous about? Could it be that the idea of going at life and running a business on her own was starting to get to her in a way that she felt overwhelmed? No, that was a silly thought all in its own. Shylah was excited and her hopes floating high above her, she couldn't help but grin as she was close enough to the gates to stop. It seemed that the adhiel gentleman in front of her was already conversing with the guards, so Shylah smiled politely and patiently awaited her turn. Here she expected the guards to ask her of her business in town, among other things. With confidence, Shylah gave the men a gentle smile and took in her surroundings, marveling at the towering city walls with her grey eyes.
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Fri May 16, 2008 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it."
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

(OOC: timestamped early TT)

As Jadmai approached the gate, he recognised the moustached sergeant who stood there as the same guard who had taken the new arrival’s details earlier in the day. Clearly, having finished his morningtide stint at the Provost Office, the guard had the afternoon shift at the gate. He was accompanied by a nervous looking youth who was more interested in a young red-haired achadhiel who was making her way up the path that climbed from the valley floor to the town.

The sergeant had recovered from whatever ailed him earlier in the day and he greeted Jadmai in a friendly if perfunctory manner before responding politely. “The men you seek left some time ago in the direction of the mining camp. If you take the track down the valley and cross the ford you will see a barn. That is Joshua Milton’s farm. He will almost certainly rent you a horse and one of his son’s might act as a guide for a price.”

As Shylah reached the gates she found herself confronted by the younger of the two guards, a scrawny youth wearing an ill-fitting uniform that had obviously been put on in great haste. The boy’s hand kept nervously hovering over the sword which was attached to his belt and gawped at the newcomer.

“Wait…er…halt,” the young guard stammered to the new arrival. With a disdainful expression, the nearby sergeant lifted his eyes into the air, shook his head and returned to his business with the adhiel.

“Please state your er, well name, we need to know your name. yes, your name.” The young boy sighed, evidently glad to have managed to get his first question out of the way. “And also your business and religion. The provost demands to know these important facts.” The young guard attempted to puff out his chest, presumably to make himself look more important. He didn’t succeed for he still appeared far too young to be a soldier of the Pax Honestus.

If Jadmai chose to follow the sergeant’s instructions, he would find that it would only take him half a mark to reach the river crossing point – a small ford where the river became relatively shallow but was strewn with a variety of small, jagged rocks. On the far side of the river was a large barn and behind it a number of cultivated fields. Standing by the barn was a stocky human farmer, hands on hips, chatting to a young achadhiel boy. Once across the ford, the track turned to run to the north east alongside the river and up into the mountains.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah arched an eyebrow as she watched the young guard's hand hover over his weapon at her arrival, normally something like this would alarm the grey-eyed achadhiel, but she decided to pass this off and go with the flow of things. With a soft smile, Shylah bowed her head in acknowledgment of the man and opened both palms at her side to show the man that she wasn't carrying a weapon in hand, nor intended any harm. The woman just wasn't the type to start trouble.

“Please state your er, well name, we need to know your name. yes, your name.” “And also your business and religion. The provost demands to know these important facts.”

It was obvious to Shylah that the young man, was either new to his post or he was just the nervous type. Either way, she would comply and be allowed entrance into Pax.

"Greetings, I am Shylah Boyd," she answered in a soft, yet polite tone, "I have come from Kings Court in order to start up a business in healing, as I am a healer. I have heard through the grapevine that there may be promising opportunities for one such as myself here in Pax. I suppose I won't know for sure unless I find out for myself."

"Anyway, onto the last answer to your questions," Shylah continued with a straight face, "As for my religion, I am a follower of Dominicus." As she finished up her response to the guard, she cautiously gazed over into the other guard and Jadmai's direction, and then turned her attention back to the young guard, patiently awaiting his response. It would probably be amusing and Shylah didn't want to miss it.
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Sat May 17, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it."
-Tori Amos
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai thanked the sergeant once again for his help, "You've been most kind to me so far, sir." He said extending his hand to him. Though as he did he took a quick glance over to the young guard, who it seemed most have a phobia beautiful achadhiel, or why else would he have his hand dangling over his sword.

He walked towards the young guard and the new arrival , but he had no intentions on leaving yet. Something had pricked his ears about achadhiel that he might find useful.

The Dark Adhiel stood next to the young guard, but not uncomfortably close, and he paused looking him over, paying particular attention to his ready sword hand.

Tucking his thumbs behind the straps of his backpack he made a 'tsk' sound, "I understand caution, private (I assume),' he then shifted his to the newcomer, "but this one hardly strikes as n'er-do-well, or bandit. Not to mention is this the type decorum you would liked to be treated with if you arrived unarmed in a town? Lastly, you're tiring your arm muscles out with this hand hovering, and showing all your cards. Drawn down, or don't. I'm not trying to dress you down in front your superior, some of what i said may save your life." Jadmai patted him on the back a few times and moved onto the new arrival.

"Shylah Boyd, is it? Welcome to Pax--I figured you could use a little more cordial welcoming. Terribly sorry about the young man there. The genocide of manners and civility seems to continue. Well, Goodlady Boyd, I must ask for forgiveness for my eavesdropping but I have overheard that you are in the business of healing. I know a large group of Pax citizens who are traveling not far from here. I would daresay they would be the cornerstone of your business. Not to mention, the business they are taking care of now, they some of them will no doubt need a healer at some point. I shall pay you personally, and make you my charge as far as safety goes. And when this business is all done, and everyone comes back to town, they will know you as the healer to see. What do you see, Goodlady Boyd?"

Jadmai finished with small half smile, almost a mischievous one, but his silver eyes were soft and earnest.
Guido Cercatoro

The young guard relaxed a little as Shylah gave her details.

“Shylah Boyd!” He bellowed her name in the direction of a scribe who sat on a nearby table taking down the details of new arrivals. The scribe put his hands over his ears. “You don’t need to shout so loud, Jarren.”

“Sorry,” mumbled the young guard, his face reddening. “Occupation, healer; religion Domincus.” The words were now spoken in a whisper. The scribe shook his head and entered the details in a large leather-bound ledger.”

Private Jarren Youngblood was silent for a few flickers. The sergeant says that I should always ask follow up questions to test new arrivals. But what should I ask. Think, Jarren. Say something or she’ll thing you are an idiot.

“You have interesting red hair,” blurted out the callow youth. “Have you always had it?” Now that is probably the most stupid question I have ever asked. “It is important I know this.” You’re digging yourself a hole. “We have had trouble here. With…er.. redheads.” He lowered his head. There’s no doubt about it. The sergeant’s right. I am completely and utterly stupid.

The sergeant shook Jadmai’s hand and returned to his duties as the Dark adhiel moved through the gate to where Shylah and the young guard were conversing. The poor boy was already flustered and he looked even more so as Jadmai admonished him for his hand-hovering activities.

The young guard moved his hand away from his sword and placed it ostentatiously behind his back. “I’m sorry,” he said. “It’s just that I lost it once and I want to make sure its there.” Having realised that he had said more than he meant to, Jarren’s face turned bright pink.

“You may enter,” said the guard to Shylah, moving away to allow Jadmai to address his words to Shylah in private.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah eyed Jadmai with curiosity, as her ears perked at his proposition. The young woman knew that turning down something like this would be ignorant on her part, especially when this could help her future business greatly. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity and she wasn't about to pass it up. Besides, if there were people that may be in need of her services, Shylah could never say no, her heart was simply too big. However, she tried to read Jadmai's facial expression. The fiery haired woman wanted to be certain that she couldn't see any hint of deceit, although she wasn't the best at spotting it. After a few flickers, Shylah decided that he most likely was being truthful and she should probably go with her gut on this one, for she wasn't gettng any feelings of anything out of the ordinary.

With a friendly smile, Shylah nodded to the dark adhiel, "Yes, I am Shylah Boyd. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, and whom might you be?"

If the dark adhiel would tell Shylah his name, the young woman would continue to answer him. Sweeping a stray strand of wavy hair from her face, Shylah continued in her typical good-natured tone, "Thank you for your kindness," she grinned, tilting her head slightly into the direction of the young guard, "Your proposition is something that does indeed strike my fancy and it would be senseless of me to decline. So, I will humbly accept the offer. After all, if I am needed I cannot say no."

“Shylah Boyd!” He bellowed her name in the direction of a scribe who sat on a nearby table taking down the details of new arrivals. The scribe put his hands over his ears. “You don’t need to shout so loud, Jarren.”

The sound of her name being shouted horribly loud, made Shylah jump and turn to look at the young guard in alarm. What in the Nether is wrong with this guy? Trying her best to refrain from chuckling, Shylah wanted to spare the man's pride, so she simply remained where she stood until she was given clearance to enter the city.

“You have interesting red hair,” blurted out the callow youth. “Have you always had it?” Now that is probably the most stupid question I have ever asked. “It is important I know this.” You’re digging yourself a hole. “We have had trouble here. With…er.. redheads.” He lowered his head. There’s no doubt about it. The sergeant’s right. I am completely and utterly stupid.

Shylah was simply blown away with a question such as this being asked to her. Had she always possessed red-hair? What sort of a question was that? Staring at the man in disbelief, the achadhiel leaned into Jadmai's direction and whispered, "Is this guy kidding? Am I inclined to answer something like this?"

This was the first time Shylah wanted to reach out and hit someone over the head, and what was more surprising is the fact that the young woman wasn't feeling remorseful for thoughts such as this. If all of the guards in Pax were like this, Shylah figured she could either find her stay amusing or simply dreadful.
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Tue May 20, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

As Shylah awaited Jadmai’s response to her agreement to assist his endeavour, she could not fail to notice a group of grimy looking dwarves making their way up the trail to the gates. A few words drifted her way….

“Another rock fall, the track is getting too dangereous….”

“…..equipment missing….bloody ghosts again…"

“ …not ghosts…..someone’s helping themselves if you ask me….”

The dwarves drew level. One, a swarthy looking dark-bearded fellow offered a brief nod towards Shylah and Jadmai as he passed.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai staring at the ground sighed and shook his head, and then he glanced towards Shylah, "I think that's his way to check on your background. I don't know. Perhaps you should just give the man an answer and we can move on."

Jadmai scratched his head, and looked toward the direction that Sergeant gave him, and then back at Shylah, "We'll be renting horses so I hope you can ride. Though, I can't ride much to be honest--I've only rode a came--so we'll see how I fair."

Jadmai observed the dwarves as they passed, and paid attention to what they had to say. He hoped they had come from some where else, he wanted to get to Ulder's party without delay or worry.

"You had better hurry and answer the inane question so we can be on our way, it's already tradetide, I would like to cover as much ground before dark seeps in around us."
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah raised an eyebrow as the conversing dwarves words made there way to her pointy ears. A rock fall? Ghosts? Neither of the two sounded very pleasant and the young healer couldn't help but wonder if someone had been injured. With a polite nod back towards the dark-bearded dwarf, Shylah looked over the men to make sure they hadn't been injured, and when she was convinced that they looked well, she knew that whatever they were speaking of was worth investigating.

Once Jadmai had replied, the fiery-haired woman looked back to the young guard, intent on answering his poor excuse for a question with a soft smile, "Yes, I have always had red-hair, and I assure you I have no desire to pose any problems."

This is ridiculous.

Turning her attention fully to the dark adhiel, Shylah was ready to leave. She liked the fact that they wouldn't be walking, for she was already weary enough from traveling and starting to feel the pains of hunger. However, if she was needed for her healing services and this journey would help her future business, then a good meal and a drink would just have to wait. Smiling slightly, Shylah let her grey eyes scan her surroundings once more and prepared herself for what lie ahead.

"Yes, I can ride," she replied straight-faced, "Now, shall we be off?"
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: a little confusion here I think; the guard has already passed Shylah and moved away. Anyhow lets get you both on your way)

None of the dwarves appeared injured and they soon passed through the gate leaving Shylah to ponder the import of their words.

If they travelled down the path from the gate, it would only take Jadmai and Shylah half a mark to reach the river crossing point – a small ford where the river became relatively shallow but was strewn with a variety of small, jagged rocks. On the far side of the river was a large barn and behind it a number of cultivated fields. Standing by the barn was a stocky human farmer, hands on hips, chatting to a young achadhiel boy. Once across the ford, the track turned to run to the north east alongside the river and up into the mountains.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai reached the ford and stopped suddenly. Paying no heed to Shylah he stripped down to his waist. Across Jadmai's bare chest was a sinister scar which he earned six months ago in a rather cruel incident, and though it looked healed it was randomly give a burning sensation during cold nights.

The Dark Adhiel took advantage of some fresh water and quickly washed his face and chest, and wet his hair straight back. Then from his bag he pulled out his chestpiece of boiled leather. Then, appeared six rather regal looking blades and sheathes for each one. Four of the sheathes went around his waist, while two others were tied around his inner thigh, so that he the sheath sat on the outside of his leg right at his arms length. Finally, Jadmai doffed a black felt hat concealing his grey and silver hair.

Putting his cloak back on and pulling the hood over his head, he reached into his purse, and produced a crown and two coronets, and placed them in Shylah's hand.

"There's a farmer up there that is said to rent horses." Jadmai said nodding in the direction of barn. "I am not at all certain how in love these Westerners are with doing business with my kind, but this farmer was an achadhiel working for him, so he must be somewhat tolerant."

Jadmai picked his spots carefully as crossed the river and waited for Shylah, when she reached the other side, he spoke again, "Tell him you would like to rent two horses for at least 3 nights. If he starts to ask questions, show him the coin, and tell him there will be more upon the horses return. I'll be watching from a distance, but I will bypass the farm."

Jadmai jerked his head towards the barn, "Come on, then. We don't want to be late for the party."
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah watched out of the corner of her eye as Jadmai began to apply the chestpiece and weaponry to his body. It became apparent to the young woman that there was danger lurking ahead. With a silent prayer to Dominicus, Shylah watched as the adhiel approached her and wondered if going along with all of this would be worth the risk. A feeling of foreboding coursed through her body the more she wondered what exactly lie ahead for the two of them. However, she knew all too well that she shouldn't let fear get in the way of what she was put in the world to do, and that was to help those who needed her. When there is a healer needed, nine times out of ten, there is the presence of danger lurking nearby. Shylah knew this, infact she was taught this in her training, but now that it was obvious that she was being confronted with a potentially dangerous situation, she wasn't sure what to think, because she wasn't very skilled in the art of combat should the need to defend herself arise.

Should everything work out, Shylah told herself silently, I must make it a priority to learn how to defend myself properly.

Once Jadmai placed the coins in her hand, Shylah hid them in a small coin purse that hung at her side. Paying careful attention to the instructions that he was giving her, the achadhiel carefully joined him on the other side of the river, nodding that she understood.

"A party, you say?" Shylah replied playfully, with a sly grin, "I don't think calling whatever we are going to be getting ourselves into here soon, a party, makes it sound anymore pleasant." She was trying to make light of things, but realized that she was probably going to fail miserably at her attempt.

With a nervous clearing of her throat, Shylah looked into the direction of the barn, and back to Jadmai with a warm smile, "Yes, we should be on our way."
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

Shylah took the coins offered to her by Jadmai and the two companions crossed the river. The barn was only a few paces away from the ford and it was possible to see that a number of horses were tethered just inside the barn.

If Shylah approached the farmer she would be greeted by a warm smile. “Good day to you. If you have need of horses, you may rent or buy them from here.” He nodded to the barn. “And if you have any need of a guide that can be arranged as well.”
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah gave the farmer a polite nod when she approached the barn. She turned an eye to where the horses were tethered and looked back to the farmer, "Good day to you as well."

"I will be needing two horses for three nights," she stated, taking the coins from her purse and showing them to the man, "As for a guide, I don't think that will be necessary. Thank you."
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

"That’ll be a crown now and an extra coronet per night when you return,” said the farmer, holding out his hand for the crown. “I’ll also need you to sign your name, place of abode and journey details in this ledger.” He passed a small open leather book and writing implement to Shylah.

“However, if you are taking the mountain trail, I should warn you there has been a landslide. The miners are clearing it but it may take some time. For another coronet my boy,” he nodded towards the youth, “will guide you up a back trail that goes by the waterfall. Quicker it is too. What do you say?”
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai, started to take the path away from the farm, but he was only waiting . Merely gauging as to when the two would start conducting business. He looked for a tree line and once found one he wrapped the cool, comforting, blanket of shadow cover him. He was not trying to go exactly undetected, enough so that the an average passerby wouldn't notice him, but anyone who was looking for him could find him.

the Dark Adhiel then backtracked towards where Shylah was. He walked softly as if he was considerate to the ground not to step on it too harshly. He looked for a building near the two, where his adhiel ears could pick up the conversation. The prices seemed fair for the horses, as for the guide, well you can only find the worth of a guide once he's on the job. Nonetheless, they needed one, and Jadmai wasn't sure if Shylah knew that.

Pulling the hood of his cloak down a little farther he started out towards the haggling three. Once he was there, he leaned in close to Shylah and told her that they would need a guide. then he stood back from the conversation waiting for it to end, as he lightly kicked the ground with the toe of his boot. His thumbs tucked into his britches in between daggers, which were exposes intermintily as the wind lightly whipped his cloak around.

He gave a small smile to the farmer and the farmer's servant as he waited for business to conclude.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah placed the money in the farmer's hand and just as she was about to proceed in signing away all of the details requested into the ledger, Shylah felt another presence close by. Turning her head slightly, she caught sight of Jadmai standing nearby and tried to listen in closely to what he was trying to tell her, as well as trying not to look suspicious to the farmer. Once the dark adhiel had finished telling her that they would be in need of a guide after all, Shylah turned back to the ledger and wrote down all of the requested information. Once she was finished, she turned back to the farmer with a sheepish grin on her face.

"Actually, having a guide along doesn't sound like a bad idea," Shylah said in a friendly tone, "I know that it would help if anything. Another coronet you say?"

Taking out more money, Shylah held it out for the farmer to take in exchange for a guide.
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

The farmer took the coins and nodded to the achadhiel boy who opened the gate to the barn. The boy rapidly saddled up three horses. He offered a small, snow white mare to Shylah. “Her name is Shimmy,” said the boy, offering to assist the achadhiel woman into the saddle. “Treat her softly and she will be a fine ride.”

After Shylah had mounted, the boy returned with a jet black steed for Jadmai. “I think this will suit you. His name is Tien. Headstrong but powerful.” The boy would assist Jadmai if required and then the lad mounted his own horse, a large chestnut stallion.

“My boy, Laelas, knows these mountains like no other,” explained the farmer, furrowing his brow slightly. “Born to the mountains he was. Follow his lead and you’ll be fine.”

The boy pulled lightly on his reins and started off down the track. After a few burns, he turned in his saddle to Jadmai. “Why do you hide, your face? “It was the innocent question of a young boy.

The track, which was reasonably wide, followed the river for a good while. At first a number of labourer’s working in the fields could be seen but the fields soon gave way to the mountain foothills. The climb became increasingly steep and the track slightly narrower. A few delicate white and yellow flowers clung to the rocky outcrops which were becoming increasingly more evident. On top of one outcrop was a wooden cross that appeared to mark a grave. Several garlands of white and yellow flowers hung off the cross. It would be a relatively easy climb to the grave.

Beyond the cross, the main path wound up into the mountains. However, a small side trail branched off to rise steeply through a narrow gorge.

“We must take the side trail,” explained Laelas. “You may if you wish pay your respects to the spirit. They say the spirit of the mountains will safeguard those who decorate the grave during their first journey into the mountains” He motioned to the cross. “however, if you are in a hurry we may just press on.”
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai scratched his chin absently as eyed the farmer, and beyond to where his journey was about to take place. Then he glanced sidelong at the farmer his thoughts seeming to be elsewhere.

"Thank you, good sir. You shall be compensated again upon my return, and of course for discretion, which is in high demand these days. The boy shall also earn a separate pay based upon his level of service."

The Dark Adhiel then turned and followed the boy to the horses. He watched Shylah mount the mare trying to take up any last minute pointers.

At the sight of steed Jadmai eye's made an attempt to swallow his head, and the lithe fellow had to fight hard not to step back. He thought to himself things don't need to be so damned big to be fast. He was small, he was fast. That saddle was rather high up, and horses were fast... Jadmai was over a hundred yahren old. He had survived the slums of Gulanadur, cut-purses, cut-throats, over all mean bastards and a near complete genocide. Now, he feared he would meet his end by getting tossed off an over-sized donkey.

A brief look was shot over at the boy as the steed that 'suited' him was, "headstrong but powerful." What suited Jadmai would have been a horse-drawn carriage fit with velvet seats, wine, and something entertaining...like that woman he saw smoking cigarettes in the coffee shop back in the Citadel. Mmmhmm.

Jadmai abruptly looked down past his belt.

Slow down. The only thing you are mounting is a horse.

As a dagger or two was adjusted Jadmai shot a look at Shylah and gave a weak smile, Probably a better chance with the horse.

Jadmai jerked his head at the boy as a sign that he would want help with the getting up to the saddle.

Once he was "safely" in the saddle Jadmai focused on the question asked by the boy. His eyes darted at the young one, and then briefly at Shylah, before just blanking resting forward, "Some in the Western Terra find it repulsive." He said honestly but flatly. "Then," he continued raising his eyebrows high, "so do some Gulanadurian women." With that he took off his cloak and folded it in front of him laying it across the horse.

As far as the cross went, Jadmai was never one to short a spirit, so he jumped down from his mount, found the nearest wildflower and placed it nearby. He purposely poked his finger on one of flowers thorns, so that a tiny drop of blood ran down the stem.

I'm giving you some of my blood, so you don't decide to take it for yourself.

Then, after swearing in every language Jadmai could muster, he mounted the steed again.

He would wait for the others to do what they wished, then simply nodded forward to show he was ready.

After a few burns Jadmai would look at Shylah and without much expression comment on her riding, "Looks like you've done some mounting before."

Smooth icebreaker...ass.

He gazed at her mare. "Ride often?"
Last edited by Jadmai on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah's eyes sparkled when she caught sight of the white mare, known as Shimmy, for she was the most beautiful horse she had ever laid eyes upon. Nothing like the grey steeds she learned to ride in Healer's School. Beaming, the achadhiel patted Shimmy softly and graciously accepted the help onto the mare, "Thank you."

Looking to Jadmai, Shylah noticed the dark adhiel hesitate a bit in mounting his steed. Feeling pity for the adhiel, she remembered him stating something about not fairing well with riding. However, just as she was about to give him some words of encouragement, Jadmai had finally mounted the black steed; after a few awkward movements that Shylah pretended not to notice. Within a few flickers, they were finally making their way to a destination Shylah knew next to nothing about.

The young healer watched as the fields started to disappear into a steep climb up the mountainous track. She absentmindedly picked a flower that clung to a rocky wall, in their passing and began to imagine what her new life in Pax would be like. Things would certainly be different than anything she experienced in Kings Court, for nowadays, she was on her own. Finally, coming to a stop before a cross, Laelas began speaking of a spirit and the side trail, Shylah took his words of paying her respects to that spirit into consideration and followed Jadmai's lead, climbing to just a few paces from where he was now paying his respects.

When the dark adhiel had finished and it was her turn, the young woman cautiously approached it. The cross gave Shylah an odd feeling and she knew that her parents would most likely disapprove in what she was doing. Yet, Shylah was out on her own now and her choices were now all her's and no one else's, not even Dominicus'.

"Please accept my humble request for safe passage," the red-haired achadhiel said softly to the unseen spirit and then placed the yellow flower she had recently picked, neatly at the foot of the cross. When she had finished, Shylah returned to Shimmy, nodded to Laelas that she was also ready, and mounted the mare once again.

After a few burns Jadmai would look at Shylah and without much expression comment on her riding, "Looks like you've done some mounting before."

Smooth icebreaker...ass.

He gazed at her mare. "Ride often?"

With a polite smile, Shylah nodded at the man, "Indeed. Infact, it was a requirement in Healer School."

"How are you fairing with Tien?" She asked Jadmai, hoping that his ride upon the black steed was going well, "It looks like you may be getting the hang of this."
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

Jadmai and Shylah mounted their steeds with little difficulty. Shylah found her mount to be well-behaved and appropriate for her relatively rudimentary riding skills. The mare appeared to have an equable temperament, responding readily to any movement of the reins. Fortunately for the adhiel, his mount showed no sign of its headstrong nature and simply followed the guide’s lead with little need for any urging from its rider. The only inconvenience suffered was an increasingly sore behind.

Laelas shrugged as Jadmai answered the boy’s question concerning his appearance. “Here you will find most folk tolerant of all, for most of us were forced here for our beliefs or appearance.” The boy spoke in a mature manner that belied his youthful countenance. “Apart from the guards of course,” he added with a slight grimace.

Both riders dismounted and paid their respects at the cross. When each reached the summit they were confronted with an unremarkable stone cairn behind which stood the wooden cross that they had seen from below. Strangely, the air on the outcrop appeared warmer and much stiller than that on the path below. Scratched on the surface of the horizontal part of the cross were a few simple words. Yet, unknown to the two companions, they saw very different words….

As Jadmai’s blood ran down the stem of his flower, the whole flower shimmered with the colour of his blood. Once he had given his offering, a few words illuminated in the colour of his blood appeared starkly on the cross: a gift awaits you: seek out the hermitage.

As Shylah placed her flower a few words briefly flickered along the cross: Hurry, he has need of your skills.

The side path ran through a narrow gorge and eventually emerged into a small clearing that ran by the side of the upper reaches of the river.

“It is only a short distance now,” smiled the guide. After a short while, a distinct and rather obnoxious burning smell wafted down the track. Laelas brought his horse to a halt and motioned for the other to do likewise.

“I fear that this smell is coming from the waterfall where we are headed,” he explained. “Do you wish to continue or should I find some alternate route?”

The smell intensified; the odour was clearly of burning flesh of some sort…
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai took sharp intake of breath and then sighed out the words, "It would be the guards which I cover my face for. I have my mother's ears, and both my parent's lovely skin tone--not exactly the guards' favorite traits." That statement was light-hearted and meant to lighten the mood. Not that the three of them were on a midday romp through the mountains. Still, levity wasn't completely out of place.

Jadmai eyed the cryptic message on the cross suspiciously.

A 'gift', ya say? Dainty Dark Adhiel dancing deliciously or ten orcs with my name of them. Jadmai stretched his arms out. Either way I'm bound to get some good exercise and work up a sweat.

It wasn't until Jadmai had been on the saddle a bit again that he realized the way he walked back was the way his cousin who preferred the same sex walked after a lover's rendezvous.

The Dark Adhiel closed his eyes and sniffed the air focused on the scent, trying to discern if his full Adhiel sense of smell was of any more use than the half-breeds. After also listening intently too Jadmai spoke up, but to ask a question of his own, "Laelas, is it common for messages to appear on the cross once an offering is made?"

The lithe being twisted about in his saddle looking over the mountain side, and trees as he awaited an answer. Whatever the answer was to the his question, Jadmai had already thought through the answer to Laelas question.

"We'll press on to the waterfall and scout it out, it might be what the party we are catching up to is looking for, or something equally as interesting." Jadmai glanced at Shylah, "From here on, you'll ride in the middle. If anything perilous should happen ride as fast as you can back to the farm. There is no shame in it lass, trust me...because I'd be right be-fucking-hind you." Jadmai shot quick glances at them both, "Well, I know I may look like some sort of fighter, but I'm not stupid, there's only three of us, and one's a healer."

Jadmai paused for a few beats then shrugged, "Alright, Laelas, press ahead."
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah thought for a flicker about the message displayed upon the strange cross: Hurry, he has need of your skills. She wondered who he was and hoped that whoever this person was, that she was capable of helping him. Shylah turned her green eyes to the direction in which Laelas was speaking of, a smell of some sort that was coming from the waterfall up ahead. To Shylah it smelled an awful lot like burnt flesh, but at this point it was far too early to tell if that was indeed what was making the odor. Her stomach tightened and for a moment, Shylah started to second guess her ability to heal. After all, this was her first time venturing off into the world as a healer.

The red-haired woman nodded when Jadmai mentioned that she would be riding in the middle from here on out, and couldn't help but grin at his, I'd be right be-fucking-hind you comment. She knew there was no shame in running for your life, but when it came to healing, she was always taught that risking your life for another if it came down to it, would always be worth it. If Jadmai wished to flee should the need arise, then she certainly wouldn't hold it against the man.

"Let us hope that whatever lies up ahead for us, won't let to such measures," Shylah replied to the dark adhiel with a polite smile before returning her attention to Laelas, "Yes, let's be on our way, shall we?"
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro

Jadmai’s senses confirmed that the smell appeared to be burning flesh. Strangely, a cloud of smoke hovered in the air in the direction of the smell as if it had been suspended there in an unnatural manner.

Laelas nodded and pressed ahead followed by Shylah and Jadmai. The smell grew more intense as they ventured down the track, emerging eventually on the edge of a clearing in the mountains.

The sight that greeted them was dramatic –at the rear of the clearing, a large waterfall cascaded down a sheer cliff face into a small pool at the bottom of the falls. The pool has a remarkable emerald green appearance. The water flowed out of the pool at the opposite side of the clearing from the waterfall and dropped steeply down the mountains, its colour returning to a more natural one. To one side of the waterfall a ladder of steep steps led up the cliff face. Several figures could be seen at the top of the stairs.

This marvellous phenomenon was spoiled by the obnoxious smell, the dark cloud of smoke hanging in the air above the clearing and the burning remains of several bodies that littered the clearing floor. Along one shore of the pool, a cloth had been placed on the ground. On the cloth were pieces of bread and cheese as if a picnic had been underway.

On the far side of the pool a number of horses were tethered. An achadhiel was bent over, tending to a figure laid on the ground who was spluttering and wheezing in discomfort. Seeing the newcomers, the achadhiel beckoned them over with his hand. If the group crossed the river, they would see that the stricken man was pale-faced and almost unconscious. “Can any of you assist Trajan, he has inhaled far too much smoke. I fear it has seared his lungs.” The achadhiel had a look of deep concern on his face.

(OOC; if you remain in the clearing continue here; if either of you ventures up the steps, please join the hunt thread)

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”