Eveningtide at the Tavern (27 Chyril ET, OPEN)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail's eyes widen for a flicker. How does he know my name!? I never told him, could he be...? Mikail looks down, and makes a disappointed face. On the left side of his jacket, his mother had embroidered a patch with his name on it. He furrows an eyebrow and then rips off the embroidered patch and throws it on the floor. I don't know how I didn't notice that, but I don't want my name to be common knowledge before I learn to do anything. At least she didn't write it in Adheil.

He turns back to Haikan. "You can call me the Thief of Chicken and Checkers if you like, formal titles were never very appealing to me, so I seldom embrace them. Besides, regardless of my role I've hardly earned a name for leadership in this area. I'll advise men, and do what you wish, but I'd rather not have my name stretched beyond its worth."

These people are really planning to make a huge investment in the abilities of strangers they've just met, who have yet to prove worth. I'd never see that back at home.

His attention goes back to Matiel, as he begins drawing a caricature of him as well. Exaggerating his feminine appearance, he started drawing breasts, but chuckles and immediately scratches around it to make it look like a ruffle in the shirt.

"Would it be unreasonable to imagine there is a cook book I can practice with in the library? It would be a major waste of money to take classes in such an art, as I already know how to cook alchemical reagents, it's simply going to be an adaptation of the craft." Mikail realizes that if he doesn't take his eyes off his doodling he won't be taken seriously. He chuckles on more time at his little caricatures and then flips the parchment over.

"Also, how long do you think it will take in the Bardic College to master this written language? I've pretty much getting used to conjugation, but I'd say I still have to learn a few things about punctuation and grammar. I can write most one or two syllable words, but I doubt I need training to learn more of that. I can expand my vocabulary with a dictionary, provided it has the phonetic pronunciations included."

Mikail lets out a yawn and stretches his arm. "One more thing. If I'm to be representing our firm, I'll probably need nicer clothes."

Mikail glances at the gentleman sitting alone in the priest garb. He sure looks like a stuffed shirt compared to this crowd. "As far as medicinal duties, I can make a few potions that might be helpful, but nothing near enough to keep a caravan running. Healing was never my specialty. However, it is my understanding that your holy men often practice healing techniques? If so, you might have a possible employee over there." Mikail points to the holy man, and lifts his pen to make a caricature of him, but stops himself. It is better not to offend those with religious affiliations, it can get messy.
Last edited by Mikail on Mon May 26, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

Hearing that he is to recruit the militia for the trade-commission was very good news for Haikan. It's important to him that those he commands will be agreeable and will appreciate his authority. If he is able to select those that join up, he can ensure that they are not only talented in combat, can handle the weathers of travel, and will be well-behaved, loyal soldiers.

"To befriend and persuade the nobility," he starts in response to Matiel. "...We will need nicer clothes, but we can just head to the Montmorency for that. There we would find clothes a noble would wear, and it's important to fit in with the crowd you are trying to influence. I've no idea how expensive the garments might be there, I can't imagine it would be reasonable... Though I suppose you gotta spend money to make money." I could use a nice outfit regardless of contact with nobles. If I'm going to be captain of the company guard, sensible clothes would command respect. Who would swear their temporary allegiance to a mere adventurer? I'll have to look exactly the part. I just hope we don't spend too much money.

"I wouldn't mind heading to the Bardic College myself, I've got a few talents I'd like to hone. I'll gladly accompany you to the library, it isn't every day one goes there." He scratches his hairless chin and considers the knowledge available in the library. "...I've also got to improve my combat abilities, if I'm going to be in charge of the guard, I should be impressive in that field." Haikan's mind is still lingering by the thought of the guard and the quality thereof. "I'm not sure where I would find many combatants itching for employment, but I'll manage. There are likely plenty in this room as we speak who long to pick up the sword once again. The Dragon's Den as well, but it is rude to interrupt the evening affairs of those who come to relax in the Tavern. I have few ideas thus far regarding how to gather them, if you have any strategies to contribute, feel free to share."

Mikail's odd display of rage toward his namepatch causes Haikan to raise an eyebrow, but he pays it little mind and upon his speaking of the title he was offered, sarcastically editing the name, he is led to think how Mikail and him could be related. This boy is strange... he says he's my family. It's obvious that physically we do have much in common, but his personality is rather... well unusual to say the least. Maybe he just hasn't warmed up to us yet. Mikail speaks of the man in clerical garb and Haikan looks over, also noticing his priestly appearance.

"That 'holy man' over there looks very young, it's possible he's still just an acolyte. If that is the case that may be good because acolytes and young priests are typically much more open-minded than the older ones, whose minds are sealed tightly to the spoken and unspoken rules of the Church." There is a likely chance that he may invest in our company, and maybe if this kid is the adventurous type, he might even embark with us months from now, if by then he is free to preach and live of his own accord, that is. I don't know if he is able to practice healing skills yet, but we can always find out. His yearning to recruit people is probably apparent, but it's difficult not to be optimistic about a large scale journey like this one.

"Mikail, perhaps you should invite him over."
Last edited by Haikan on Mon May 26, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

Matiel was heavily engrossed on writing. He was keying in their ideas and placed beneath them his own notes and suggestions. Yes, they were right. It would save them a lot of money if they kept most of their needs within the firm and only employ outside services when it's too much to handle. For now, they were starting out small so two scribes would be enough to handle the accounting. Still, that wouldn't be enough if those scribes didn't get some much needed skills.

"I agree. It would save us a lot of effort to try and keep our activities in house. But, for that to be effective we would still need the appropriate disciplines."

Matiel lifted his head up for a moment to face Mikail.

"Scribing isn't just a matter of grammar, Mikail. I suggest you take these classes because if you want to be a proper scribe people must be able to read your work. A literacy class will help you with this. It would practice your hand in scripting legible letters, introduce to you certain nuances relative to the use of contemporary symbols, and ultimately teach you proper writing. To master this art would take months, for some people they never stop learning. So, for the purpose of this expedition I'd say a couple of months would be enough to polish your skills."

"And besides, you wish to be an alchemist do you? Well, I'll tell you now, sir, nothing helps an alchemist more than a fine hand at scripting steady ideas out. You don't want to wake up one morning and see an unintelligible mess for your notes now do you?"

"Also, if you wish to be effective not only on this journey, but in your life as well, I suggest you take some minor classes on bookkeeping too. The job opportunities for a scribe who can do math and accounting are endless. Try to understand, you'll need these classes because as a scribe and alchemist accurate accounting, calculations, and readable handwriting are a must."

"And yes, I understand that if you want courtly influence we'll need to look the part. But, you yourselves have pointed out that that needs money. I'm thinking that wouldn't be too much of an expense if we started taking on occupations that not only earn good coin, but also place us near the very people whose money we need."

"For this, I suggest the Scribe's Guild once more. These people usually hold job requests for various merchants in this city. If we could get jobs working for the merchant class here, that would be killing two birds with one stone. Also, the Bardic College. Another reason why I insist that Mikail enroll himself there is that the place is teeming with young nobles. If you get to influence a child of an influential family, the easier it'll be for you to get near that influential family."

"Also, since we're talking about clothes, I advise that we limit ourselves to clothing that make sus look professional, credible, and relatively successful. We are merely still starting out as of yet. Extravagant wear that speaks of wealth won't get us investors. It'll only push us to spend more money. Also, might I suggest a dress code, uniform, or at least a coat of arms patch for our firm? And while we're at it, a formal identity perhaps? Something for the various governments we'll be meeting in the future."

"Also,"Matiel then turned his eyes towards Haikan, "I suggest you, sir, find yourself a job in the protection business. Plenty of rich men need guarding these days. Men you might be able to influence. Also, this job puts you in direct contact with other mercenaries, seasoned soldiers. What better way to recruit a soldier than to be his comrade?"

"Apart from that I have a mind to start making recruiting posters, but men are more reliable when you already know of them before hand. And also, once you are employed to a merchant, start injecting a few bits of conjectures concerning our business. Introduce them to the idea of a service that safely delivers cargo and people in just days, cheaper than those portals.From this we can gauge how much business we could generate once we start. Also, be careful not to give them our whole idea, just the thought. We don't want other intrepid men bossing in our profits do you?"

"And yes, I almost forgot. There will not only be cook books in the Palace Library, but also alchemical articles. It would help if you studied both at the same time, Mikail. If you can be our apothecary apart from our chef, that saves us a lot of resources and effort."

Matiel went back to his papers and began to outline the following:

Haikan
-Navigation and Security
-Armaments
-Bulk of Human Resource

Mikail
-Supply and Upkeep Inventory/Distribution/Processing
-Possible Apothecary
-Will we need alchemical equipment?

Matiel
-Finance, Cargo and Passenger Inventory
-Equipment Maintenance

House Rules
1.All partners are responsible for maintaining, managing, and recruiting their own staff.
2. All partners are responsible in making sure that their obligations do not impede on each other.

Comments
-Further Market research needed.
-Further Legal research needed.
-Financial strategies needed.

Matiel looked up from his work and asked, "So far we have this. Any additions? And yeah, we have yet to determine the amount of people and cargo we would allow on this caravan. I think we should start on that now."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

I should study tactics and combat over the next few months, I've got to become worthy of leading the guard I hire. I must be fierce with a blade, and sharp on my feet, rehearsed with proper commands for life and death situations... Yes going to the library tomorrow is a must. Also I need to find somebody to help me excel in my skills with a schlaeger, and fighting in general... But the only time I spent in excess here was as a youth, when I cared not for these things. As a consequence I have no idea where I could go to find a place to train my skills.

"I like how this is turning out." Haikan looks at Mikail and signals with his eyes toward the young priestly fellow. Then he turns back to Matiel. "Can you take books out of the library?"

"I do need to go to the library, to study tactics of battle, but I don't think I could learn much in a day, so I would like to either return there regularly, or purchase, rent, borrow the books I require. I also need to find somebody to help me excel at fighting in general. I need a person or persons to practice with, and possibly a temporary master as well. I don't spend much time in the Court, and therefore don't know as much common knowledge pertaining to here as I do the outside world. For this reason I have no idea where I would find these things. I know I can study tactics via books from the library... Would you mind telling me if you can, where I could find combat training? Also if you know, where I could find this protection service you speak of. I'm rather unfamiliar with those departments of business around here." The elf grows quiet, and begins to think of his early days living in the Court.

"I have no formal training in combat. When I was younger my father taught me how to fight, he taught me how to be quick on my feet, run fast, dodge attacks from my enemy, and skillfully wield a schlaeger; as well as a bow. I also learned from him how to deal with more than one opponent at a time... I would like to further all of these abilities, possibly study new ones to complement them. It is not difficult to practice footwork, fast running and marksmanship with a bow on one's own, but for the other aspects of battle I'm quite certain that a master or a group to train with would be useful. I feel it would be foolhardy not to, that I should be at the greatest of my potential when we embark. Perhaps I am already prepared and ready enough, but nonetheless if I am to be the head of the guard, I feel I should be as strong as I can be. Surely a scholarly gentleman like yourself would know enough about the city to answer whether or not I could find such training here." He smiles. He isn't a generally proud person, but he possesses just enough natural pride that it feels slightly awkward asking for help from someone he sees as a rival. But, why does he see that? He's barely gotten to know Matiel... Maybe it's just that this fellow seems to be someone with whom friendly competition would be beneficial to Haikan as a person.

"That is all for my questions."
Last edited by Haikan on Wed May 28, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Even if I can handle being the firm's apothecary, handling medicinal needs, I still need to learn more about Dominicus. This man might not even turn out to be helpful, but I might need him. I just have a few more things I need to get out of the way.

Mikail leans back and looks at the ceiling. "There is only one problem. How am I supposed to pay for the formal training before the expedition. I don't know if you can tell by my clothes, but I'm not made of money, and I'm not really qualified to work without the formal training. If I write slow I can make it look decent, but it would take me forever where I am now. The only thing I can really develop for free is my alchemy and cooking if I'm not mistaken. I can study with a dictionary to expand my vocabulary but that's about all it'll do." He looks over at the holy man. He waves his arm to get eye contact, and then waves him in to join the group.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"I'm not entirely sure if you could take books out of the library, but I do know you could copy from them. I advise though that instead of making your own copies or taking books out, you should visit the library regularly. I don't think it'll be hard to get a pass, but visiting the library regularly has more benefits than borrowing books or taking the books on to home."

"Also, the library has extensive collection in military treatises and alchemical documents. But I'm not so sure if the access to these materials are easy to get without a pass though, being that knowing King's Court too well, safeguarding knowledge from strangers or potential dissidents has always been the nature of our the academic and clerical elite here. I count myself lucky only because a professor of mine from the college gave me a pass. Another reason why I want you both entry into the college is that once your a student, and people get to know you, it'll be easier to penetrate the academic shell."

Matiel laid rest his pen for a moment and let his eyes glance over to the counter. Finally, his food was coming. A familiar barmaid was nearing, handling a tray with one hand and two mugs on the other. Matiel sighed, he was hoping to take his milked tea from a cup, not a beer mug.

"Gentelmen, if you please?" Matiel turned back to the two elves and diverted their attention towards the coming waitress. He then proceeded to clear their table of cluttered pieces of parchment, laying the bundle to one side and then putting on the cover on his inkwell and wiping clean his quill. When the food and drink had arrived, Matiel calmly placed his writing implements together and hid them in his satchel. He raised his head towards the barmaid and smiled, "Thank you. And yes, these gentleman had some orders too, I believe.Would you be a dear and remind the cook?"

Having sent the waitress on her way, Matiel hurriedly touched his mug to be sure it was tea inside it. Ah, yes, well brewed leaves sweetened by milk, honey, and brown sugar. This was why he loved this place. The proprietor knew what his patrons wanted, and Matiel was willing to place good coin on such great service. He was also sure to check the other mug the barmaid brought, and deduced that this was Haikan's juice. He pushed the little barrel without a cover on Haikan's way, "Juice? Might I suggest tea with apples next time?" "And for you sir," Matiel turned to Mikail, "Did you order anything?"

"Ah, now, with something hot in my belly let us return to the matter at hand. Well, foremost, you are right. We need a money, which is why I said we'll have to get jobs. You, Mikail, say that you need money for these classes to even get a job? Well then, you yourself said that you can learn a bit of alchemy on your own, why not find yourself a job as an apprentice alchemist. Once more, I suggest you visit the Scribe's Guild. That's where all the intellectuals post their job openings. Go there, ask who needs something done, preferably needing an alchemical assistance, and get the job. While you're being paid, use that money to get the classes you would need to further yourself. While you're getting paid and getting classes, try to meet people, contacts, get on the good side of your boss because employers are usually men who need services that can further their business. Services we are planning to meet."

"As for you, Haikan, the library would be a great place. I'll try to visit my History teacher once more and ask for two more passes to get us in. Be wary though, you may have lived the majority of your life, but much has changed since you left. People look different know, act different, especially towards those with pointy ears and enviably longevity. When you're there, you will be treated as strangers, so act as strangers, more like tourists really, who are here to see the sights and not stir up trouble. You never know what might happen, and the last thing you'd want is to be in the middle of a conflict."

"Also, if you're looking for a mentor, I suggest you try to find a certain individual named Baron Sebastian Beauvais. He is the Baron of Brie and is also the leader of one of the strongest military factions here. If you find him, offer to him your blade and tell him you want to be a Vanguard. This'll give you a great teacher, experience. As for protection services, rub your elbows with the vanguard if Baron Beauvais does accept your application. Try to find out what odd muscle jobs they're doing while there isn't a war to slake blood on. If you don't get accepted into the Vanguard, then frequent this Tavern, Dragon's Den, or Trade Avenue in general. There will always be mercs around here looking for a job, and where there's a merc, there's job. Get the job, get the experience, get the contacts, get the money, then we have our preliminaries."

"Are we clear?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Haikan grabs his beverage. "I'm a fan of the juice they provide, but I'll make sure to try apple tea next time" He takes a sip of his juice and as the cool feeling of refreshment spreads through his body he lets out a joyful sigh. He turns his attention back from his drink to Matiel.

"I know of Baron Sebastian, but I don't think I could commit to being a Vanguard and still be in the trade commission three months from now. Unless maybe he would accept me for that short a time as a vanguard, but even then I don't know that I would be able to enroll in the bardic college with my time being devoted to the guard. I would rather be his pupil in the area of combat and leadership, however unlikely that may be. Apprenticeship is much more lenient and free than joining a military force, and for this reason I would prefer a master to a military leader."

The adventurer looks toward the door and he ponders the likeliness of someone as great as Beauvais investing his time in a common traveler like himself. If I'm really lucky, he'll take me as his apprentice. I would much rather not be committed to the Vanguard, but I doubt he would have much reason to take someone like me as an apprentice. For this reason I guess I won't raise my hopes for that... The adhiel takes another sip of his juice and continues to think to himself ...However if I present myself correctly and show great desire to learn battle abilities and leadership from him, there is a chance he might be persuaded... I've heard good things about Baron Sebastian, but I'll look elsewhere also for the simple cause of reasonable expectations.

"Matiel, I -much like Mikail- am willing to get to know the nobles and merchants, and get them to invest in our journey, however I'll focus on gaining the respect and employment of mercenaries as a priority. Mikail could be the sole salesman of our stock, but it's better to have two minds on the job than just one. Also, I think that I am going to enroll in the Bardic College, and I'll find a way to practice my skills in battle, I'm sure. I don't have much that I have to learn regarding mapping and traveling, that's my specialty. I'll make sure to get the route we'll take to Pax mapped out right away, including the stop at Brie, and I'll also include a few other possible trade routes we could take."

"Whatever may happen, I'll be ready by the time of our departure, you can count on that. I'm sure that Mikail and yourself will be plenty prepared as well." The elf laughs and rests his elbow on the table again. "This is becoming quite well established, and I'm certainly looking forward to it. I've got plenty of research to do, and I fully intend to start preparations for the commission first thing tomorrow."

He takes another sip of his drink and he turns to the priestly fellow. I don't think the acolyte got the message Mikail offered him.
"Hey there, you don't have to sit alone, come join us." He looks back at Matiel, in anticipation of his feedback to his ideas.
Last edited by Haikan on Thu May 29, 2008 5:51 am, edited 7 times in total.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis was lost in thought when Mikail tried waving him over. He glanced up for a moment, thinking that the young elf was waving to someone else, and returned to his study of tavern's occupants. The current goings on and the situation he had gotten himself into wouldn't leave his mind completely, but seeing the tavern's patrons enjoying themselves cheered Anistis' spirits.

Haikan's greeting, though, stirred Anistis from his reverie. He looked up, smiled at the young elf, and joined the small party at their table.

"Thank you. I'm Anistis," he volunteered right away. "Is there something I can help you with?"

---

OOC: Sorry for the delay. My posting rate will drop slightly from this point forward. I suffered a hard drive crash and now am stuck using the family computer. I'll try to check back here at least once a day, though.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail sat quietly and watched the other two talk, while the acolyte began walking over. So Matiel finally managed to get service, Mikail quietly put all of his belongings back in his knapsack. He looked up at Matiel as he asked him what he ordered. "No, I didn't order anything, I attempted to.. never mind me."

As the waitress left he sighed and said "I guess I'll do my best to make myself useful. I'll read up on alchemy at the library and then try to get a job. Then once I secure that I'll begin studying the language in the library. This will all reduce the amount of time I'll spend learning and paying to do so." He looked at the acolyte. "One other thing: I know almost nothing about the church of Dominicus, and I really need educating on that matter. I'm a stranger here and need to learn all of this new material."

I might really hit two birds with one stone here. Not only do I need to learn how to live up to my name as a "recent convert," but I also might get a chance to really get in this man's favor should he come with us, and maybe even convince him to do so. Even if I'm a stranger, I know how much people like spreading their beliefs.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis offered Mikail a warm smile as he took a seat at the small party's table.

"I'd be happy to tell you anything you need to know about Dominicus. The basics are, of course, that He is the One God, Creator of all people and all things. He loves us and provides us with the highest moral guidance; all that is good is encompassed in him. The One has revealed His will to us through His Scriptures, which are collected in The Book of the One. If you'd like, I'm sure that I could get a copy for you from the Basilica."

Although his smile never faded, the acolyte's expression took on a somewhat confused aspect. He blinked a few times, looking around the table at Haikan and Matiel.

"I take it, then, that you've only recently arrived in the Western Kingdom? Do you all want to learn about the One, or is there some additional way that I could help?"
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Believe we are coming to a well founded plan. We have our agreements in place. We have so far structured much of the points we'll be dealing with during this venture. Frankly, I'm quite happy with where this is going."

Matiel took another sip from his tea and let the sweetened bitterness burn down his throat. The scalding always left a numbness to his tongue, just as much as he disliked it. The numbness was uncomfortable to have to deal with. Had he listened properly to Mikail and Haikan, instead of the pulsing numbness annoying his taste, he would have noticed then calling someone over.

"Shit, he muttered beneath his breath, hiding it behind his mug as he took another sip. Shit. Shit. Shit. An invective concern over the gentle and calm approach of a Dominican man. Shit, cursing a few more times in his head didn't make the pious man go away. He would have to deal with it.

Being in the company of Dominican elves was soft and inconsequential to his unforgiving predilections, when an opportunity for profit and amusement came along with it. A bloody priest however, was something he wasn't prepared for. Having spent his latter years avoiding faith, this'll be a test of how good a liar he still was to Dogs of Dogma.

Matiel sprayed acid on Mikail and Haikan with his eyes. It was but a flicker of displeasure he let slip his grip, but held it back immediately as soon as he felt an overflowing tenderness and loving care wash over him in soothing warmth. The aura priests carried with them was always icky and slimy whenever it touched his skin. Especially now, as he turned to the new arrival with a smile.

"Please, have a seat," he gestured the acolyte a chair by Mikail's side, so very far from his own person, "And if possible partake of some consumables with us too. My companions couldn't help but notice your being alone to a corner, I hope we're not bothering you. We thought you might appreciate the company."

He let the faithful have their own talk, and reserved himself an observing mood. Mikail already mentioned once before that clerics were keen when it came to medical services, services they might need on this journey. Matiel would rather have trained surgeons, or something of the like, but if a priest is what they want, let them offer it to the cleric. Matiel would have nothing to do with this.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Consumables? Matiel sure does have an odd way of speaking. That is to be expected from a scholar I suppose.

"Yes, do not hesitate to sit down," Gesturing with his hand for Anistis to join them, he continues "...We were discussing something that might interest you, and I couldn't help but notice you were sitting alone, without service. The next time the server comes by I'll order enough food for the three of us." He turns to Mikail and offers him a gracious smile. "You don't have to be so meek, we'll get you something to eat." He turns back to the acolyte and offers his hand to shake across the table.

"My name is Haikan, and the gentleman who sits across from me is Matiel. The quiet one is Mikail, and we all are planning something pretty big." Were Anistis to accept his greeting he would firmly shake his hand and lean back into his seat again.

"A revolutionary trading commission is what we intend. Instead of the expensive portal-trade system that is so prominent, we would offer a more affordable land service. It's a complicated plan, but it will likely prove to be a great success rearing tremendous profits, and exciting adventure." His speech is now assisted by a reassuring grin.

"Obviously this would be a rather expensive investment, so we had to think of a way to make it possible. You see, we are currently searching for patrons who would like to invest in our journey themselves. These patrons would make an initial payment, and upon our return they would reap some of the benefits." He takes a sip from his drink, the excessive talking is tiring on his throat, and the cool juice is very refreshing. With a happy sigh, he continues his explanation to the young priest.

"You asked if you could help us, and I'll tell you how you can do that. My friend, you could make a smart investment and be one of our patrons, or..." The adhiel pauses to heighten the excitement the priest would feel upon hearing his second option. "...You could be a member of the expedition and come along, adventuring throughout the Western Kingdom. I've heard that priests by nature have a diligent hand in healing others, which would be useful, and... I'm sure there are plenty outside King's Court who have not been blessed enough to hear the Word of The One. Having a sheperd among us would be a grace to the people."

"We will not leave for at least three months, so you have plenty of time to think about it." Quite satisfied with his explanation, he took a mighty sip of his beverage and rests his cup on the table, folding his hands in front of him. "What do you think of it... I'm sorry, I was so hasty in response to you that I did not get your name."
Last edited by Haikan on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Consumables? There are High Elves that talk more casually than this man.. Mikail closes his eyes and opens his mouth, queitly saying "Yes, feel free to order some consumables, or even some food if you'd like." He tosses a whimsical smile at Matiel, and even slips out a faint chuckle, as Matiel is obviously speaking through gritted teeth. Typical for scholars to wince at men of the cloth. I don't really see what's so bad about religious propoganda. Sometimes that's what it takes to have enough courage to lead a good life. Heaven knows at least it gives life meaning.

"Haikan, would you mind getting a mug of herbal tea? Preferably with the leaves and the water seperate?" He looks at Haikan, without words thanking him for offering to assist him considering his lack of money. He pulls out his parchment again and begins writing a little equation. This environment is cozy, but I'm not out of the fire yet. I still don't know where I'm going to sleep tonight, it would take the last of my funds to stay at the Dragon's Den. Will all these plans work? Will I be able to develop my skills at alchemy and perhaps even become a scribe? It's nice to think about, but easier said than done. Mikail puts down his quill and caps his inkwell. I guess that's why I'm here. Every person has their own driving principles, mine are currently focused on survival, I'm sure I'll see more clearly once I've got my feet on the ground. After all, everybody has trouble looking ahead when they're on a slippery slope.

When he's finished, his parchment reads:
CaO + H2O ↔ Ca(OH)2 + 63.7kJ/mol of CaO
Sleep Potion: Cinnibar (HgS), mixed with water = dangerous mercury oxide (HgO) and noxious smelling sulphur (S). Adding Quicklime to the solution will occupy the oxygen atoms and create a frothy alkaline, thereby neutralizing any possible danger the mercury might cause.

He looks back up at Matiel. "Would this be an opportune time to mention that I have a horse?" Mikail had just bought this horse and forgot he even had. He hadn't even picked it up from the stable yet. His father had sent the money paying for it in a letter to Friendly's stable in King's Court, and Mikail had forgotten entirely to pick it up. In fact, Mikail had no idea where this stable even was. He had with him a piece of parchment with a letter from his father on it, intended to be delivered with a tip to seal the deal. Mikail's face suddenly gets a little pale. That was over two crowns... how could I be so negligent? I've got to find this place after I leave here.
Last edited by Mikail on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Yes," Matiel agreed with Haikan, "Clerics are always predisposed towards healing hands, be it poultice, or miracle."

He looked at Mikail and saw him acknowledge his sudden discomfort at having a priest so near his person. He gasped a short snicker and hid it behind a hand he brought to his face to wipe his lips. He didn't like priests. That was that. As long as nothing held back the venture, he was okay with it. However, he had yet to know what the priest wanted though, and how he'd work.

"Sire," Matiel called Anistis's attention once more, "I understand you've already absorbed Haikan's to the point explanations. It's quite as simple as that really. However, I would like to know what your stance would be concerning profit. We offer this opportunity to you, yes, but we would like to be sure that we are not hurting your principles. It would help us much if you spoke of them, relative to the offer we have presented to you and your duty as a Man of Dominicus."

Matiel then turned to Mikail, "I have no idea at all what we would need a horse for at this time. For now we are still in the beginnings of this venture, so a horse would just be a convenient vehicle for you. Unless of course we do think of something to use the horse with at this time. Again, I stress, I have no idea what to do with a horse. I don't even think you'd need one if you live here in the city."
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

The jabs at Matiel's word choice went unnoticed by Anistis as he took Haikan's hand and shook it. He carefully listened to the elf's explanation, making sure he absorbed exactly what it is he was being told. Monetary matters weren't exactly the acolyte's forte.

There was no denying the excitement that stirred in him at the mention of leaving Kings Court, and of adventure. Nevertheless, the situation in which Anistis was currently involved wouldn't leave his mind, either, and that was of grave importance, and could not preempted by anything.

Upon hearing that he had three months to mull over the proposal, however, he nodded and let his eyes glaze over, staring into the flame of a nearby candle. The young man was usually not prone to such introspection- especially not gloomy introspection, but in this instance, he couldn't help but think of the dancing flame as the dangerous spark that had the potential to consume entire cities. Would he be able to accomplish the task that had been set before him in three months' time?

It didn't matter, of course. His only option was to try. He relaxed and breathed a contented sigh as he realized that he need only do his duty, and the rest would be in the hands of Dominicus.

In the midst of this reverie, Anistis had been half-listening to the conversation around him. He looked up suddenly as Matiel address him.

"My principles?" Anistis blinked a few times, something he apparently hadn't been doing while he'd been staring off into space. "No part of your operation seems unethical or immoral, if that's what you mean. As far as my own profit goes, I'm sure I could find many ways to put the money to good use for the benefit of others. I'll let you know, however, that my help, especially in the area you propose, doesn't come with a price. I'd never demand payment simply for helping someone in need."

The novitiate's expression, at this point, became rather sheepish. "...That said, however, I don't think I really have the abilities you're looking for; if you'd like, I can try to learn a little more quickly in the next three months, but I can't guarantee I'll be up to the tasks you might require of me. I'm sorry."
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

"No horses? I didn't realize we'd be carrying all the trading goods in our arms. That's a much tougher job than I imagined." Mikail chuckles again, feeling the pressure of time relax, now realizing that he wouldn't need that horse for a good amount of time. Still, I've got to make that deal or I may not get the horse at all. I only wish I knew where the stable was. Mikail begins picking a little bit at his glove again, and looks at Anistis from the corner of his eye. He might not be that qualified yet, but he's got that same naive smile that Haikan has that will drive this human crazy. I might enjoy that.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"You seem to have a good attitude, I'm sure that even if you don't have the skills required, you could definitely develop them with plenty of time to spare. I'm sure that the Church would give you It's blessing to be a sheperd spreading the Love of the One throughout Tazlure. Not many priests are given such blessed opportunities." He still hadn't told Haikan his name, so he was going to have trouble addressing him casually without sounding rude. He glances over at Matiel, and notices that something seems to be bothering him. The elf can hardly tell though if that's just how Matiel always looks, or if there is something wrong, he doesn't know him that well yet. He noticed Mikail was making a lot of jokes and the few words that he did speak seemed to come out in jest. The comment about carrying goods in arms was quite funny, and it made him laugh. This would be fine, except Matiel doesn't seem to have a very pleasant sense of humor. I should probably say something before these two start arguing.

"A horse would be very useful on the expedition. But I think Matiel meant that the ideas weren't developed quite enough that we know whether we are using horses or oxen for the convoys, and that you should probably just hold onto it for now until we iron out our plans some more." That should settle that.
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Everything Haikan just said right now, is exactly what I was going to say,"Matiel shrugged and started to butter his bread. He pierced a piece of meat rather violently with his fork and took into his mouth. He let the flavor stay a while before he took a bite off the bread he just lathered with butter. He then looked at Mikail and Haikan, obviously understanding what the two were about, and had nothing to show for it. He gave them a look, a blank look. Jokes weren't in his particular field. He had no use for it. Anistis, however, seemed to offer and opportunity for them all.

"Tell me, priest," he started when his mouth was empty and aching for more flavors to fill itself with, "What exactly do you need done within three months? If we are going to go on this together, we might as well try to accomplish the prerequisites together also. I'm sure, that whatever it is we go through before we journey on our little business, it would be for the betterment of the group. Now, what do you need to do, other than learning the required skills? Is there some church related duty you need fulfilled? Maybe, we around this table can help you with that. Not only will it assist you, but it would also give us here the chance to meet people we might need on this project."
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

"Well..."

Anistis paused for a few moments. It wasn't very often that he found himself reluctant to disclose information, but given the nature of what he was dealing with, a certain degree of caution would probably have been for the best. This would likely still have not stopped him had he been involved in this on his own, but there were others involved, and it would probably be for the best to speak to them before he shared the nature of his mission with these others, although they seemed like fine people to Anistis.

"...It's complicated. Here," he said as he glanced around the tavern's common room, "is probably not the best place to discuss it. I still have to meet with a friend of mine this evening about the subject, and I think I should talk to him first. It's something of a serious matter. I'm sorry; I don't mean to be exclusionary."

----
OOC: Actually, if you look a few posts back, Anistis did offer Haikan his name; I know it's easy to forget, since my posts have been so erratic. Sorry about that.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail reaches into his bag and pulls out a pinch of red powder and scoops it into a little pile on his parchment, along with a fine white powder in a seperate pile. Without looking away from his piles he quietly says "Nobody sneeze, or spill anything over here." He's carefully examining the piles, making sure the white one is exactly twice as big as the red one, the white one being about two grams, and the red pile being one. He's working in the corner of the table as far from Anistis as he can get.

Haikan said everything he was thinking? Maybe he just doesn't want a good idea to come up without his stamp of approval on it. I don't like pride, but at least Matiel really seems to know what he's doing. The contrast between his lack of personality and my brother's enthusiasm is making me really uncomfortable. Regardless of Matiel's intellect, it can't seem to compare with Haikan's diplomacy. At least if I can perfect this potion then maybe I can distract myself from that long enough. I like to ignore tension if I can. I just hope this'll do what I think it will.
Last edited by Mikail on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Maybe he did offer his name, and I misheard it... Rats, I can't for the life of me recall what it is... Maybe he'll say it again. He gives Anistis a thumbs up, in concurrence with Matiel in his offer of assistance.

"My friend, you can rest assured that I'll be willing to help you with anything that you may need assistance with. That being said I would also like to stress that you don't need to discuss anything here that you feel uncomfortable sharing. Take your time, and if it's possible for the three of you, I suggest that the four of us meet here again tomorrow around either the morning or the trade tide. The morning would be ideal, because the Tavern is empty in the morning, so you could discuss your obligations and opinions at your leisure." He nods to Anistis, recalling that he still needed to clear just how much of his 'complicated situation' he was allowed to discuss. "...Then after discussing the journey some more, we could make our way to the library with Matiel."

Haikan then glanced back at Mikail. "Let me get you that drink. I'll get us all some food too." With that Haikan stands up and stretches his arms, and quickly strides over to the bar and looks the barmaid in the eyes. "I need one mug of hot water with the tea seperate, and three plates of bread with butter and a plate of whatever meat you have ready, served to that table over there, preferably sooner than later." He nods his head toward the table where his companions are seated and he offers the barmaid a friendly smile and a wink. He then places slightly more than the appropriate amount of coin on the bar right in front of her, and he makes his way back toward the table, pulling his chair back and sits down. Now I remember, he called himself Anistis! He looks at Matiel, then Mikail, then the priest, directing his next comment to the three of them.

"Well that takes care of that, what say you about returning here in the morning? Obviously we have a bit more to discuss tonight, but I think Anistis will have a lot more to contribute after he meets with his friend later this eveningtide."
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

"That sounds reasonable to me," Anistis said with a smile. "I should apologize in advance, though; my superiors often assign me a number of chores or other tasks in the morningtide, so I might be a candlemark or so late, depending on when you wanted to meet. Thanks a lot for asking me to help, by the way. Like I said, I'm probably not the best you could find, but I appreciate the consideration and the opportunity to help you out."

The most involvement Anistis had ever had in business had been occasionally helping his father with his work in the shop, and then he'd never handled the monetary side of things. Indeed, a business venture like this wasn't something the acolyte had thought he'd ever get involved in, but it was a good opportunity to serve others in a lot of ways. Besides, Haikan and Mikail seemed like friendly individuals to Anistis, and since he'd missed the earlier debate over friendship and partnership, so did Matiel.

"Again, sorry for the secrecy. I'm not really accustomed to withholding information, but it's a matter of-" he stopped himself, choosing less descriptive wording- "Church business, and I feel I'd have to ask first before I disclose any information. The One willing, though, it won't consume three months' time.

So, tomorrow at morningtide, then?"
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"I'm intrigued by said church business," Matiel decided to push it anyway, despite the cleric's inhibitions, "I understand that this business is a private matter, but you never said that we aren't allowed to assist in some way. All you said was that we shouldn't discuss it here. Well then, let us discuss this elsewhere. I have no where else to go tonight but home. I might as well amuse myself a bit more."

Matiel finished his meal and drink. He shuffled his papers together and neatly pushed them into his satchel. He gathered together his ink and quill, and proceeded to wipe his mouth dry with a kerchief. He laid his back on the chair and continued, "And yes, I think we should continue this conversation tomorrow. Hopefully by then we'd be a bit more prepared. I'll try to find more people while we're at it. So, where and when gentlemen?"
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail rips off a piece of parchment and uses it to scrape the piles of powder together as neatly as he can. Without looking up he speaks again. "I'm indifferent to where we meet, as long as it's not the Dragon's Den."

Mikail puts his bag of alchemical doodads away after tying it off.

I've got a bad feeling about this venture, but I look forward to this chance to do something with myself. I got lucky that I ran into such motivated people on my first day here. However, if this scholar was poking any harder he'd be drawing blood.

"I would very much like to go to the library tomorrow."
Last edited by Mikail on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The young adhiel raises an eyebrow at Matiel. "Come now, you don't need to pry, I'm sure that if we offer our help, he'll tell us what he can." He turns his attention to the priest and continues. "If you think you would be able to meet again later tonight, then by all means let us know..." He raises a finger in rebuttal to what he just said, "... But please do not feel pressured to reveal anything that you don't think you should. Church business does sound most intriguing, and I would love to do the blessed act of assisting in anything that would benefit the One or his followers, as would any of us." Haikan wasn't really that dedicated to the religion of the One God. After all he knows from traveling the world that He is not, in fact the One God. He is One among several others that Haikan happens to know of. Regardless of his dedication or lack thereof to Dominicus, he is always eager to help somebody who is in need, especially if it is for a good cause.

"I would say if we meet again tonight we could meet at my house, which conveniently is always empty. Ever since a few yahren ago, I've lived by myself in that house, and because it's empty it would be ideal for having any conversation that required discretion or concealment for the public. The house was built for three, but well..." Haikan's expression sinks a bit, into a sorrowful one. After all, the reason that he has that house to himself is because... Dammit! I'm not going to think about that right now! That's not what father would have wanted... I've got to keep my cool!. His expression lifts up into a calm and serious one, and he continues. "...We could also come back here, but we can't guarantee it would be empty. Tomorrow morning, I say that we meet midmorningtide, here, or at my house again. If anyone is uncomfortable with that, please do say so."

With that he glances over to the bar and is pleased to find that -at least it appears- that their sustenance is almost ready.
Last edited by Haikan on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “KC Archive”