[Dort] And The Nether Came With Her... (ET 27th Barracks)

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Bernice Potts
Civus

[Dort] And The Nether Came With Her... (ET 27th Barracks)

Post by Bernice Potts »

Bernice had a sinking feeling something big was about to happen a few tides ago, and now it was more than evident. She took her laps for the past two days, and wore her armor as much as she could all day. She kept working her halberd and spear like a mad woman, as well as her daggers. Saying little to anyone, her focus was on the battle ahead and why the guard was getting brought together. She ate fast, and worked hard, hoping against hope that she would not come face to face with Jon's father.

The grim news about the troops in Hafne going to the knot did not bode her well. Her mind could not play out what was going on at this point, being unable to have contact with Jon. Hopefully her absence around the place would be enough to tell her family that something was going down. If Jon could be safe with them, then perhaps there wouldn't be so much guilt on her shoulders.

Could it be that she was being used as a stooge? That this entire assassination was set up by the Duke the whole time and she was powerless to stop it? Here was what bugged her; why put on the bounty if the guard was being mobilized? What of the bounty hunters who came near and far in order to capture the marks?

She sighed and shook her head to herself as she cleaned her knives, putting them in sheaths under her bracers. In order to blend in, she would wear her leathers for this battle, and she put her helmet on her head. Until now, she wasn't the religious type. She didn't like Pecunia that much, but never knew of any other gods.

"If 'ere be a god of justice listenin' to me today, show me what ta do. I ain't got nothin' else to trust."
Adanedhel
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Adanedhel »

The world around her kept quiet. No voices talking to her, no nothing. However, as if sent by the gods, a messenger came in. "Ma'am. All guards who are uninjured need to see their respective Sergeants for standing orders." he said and turned around again.

The young man halted, his black haired head turned around and said "I hope you're not gonna get hurt, Potts. It'd be a shame for a lady like you." With that, he disappeared the way he came.

As Bernice got to the office, the door was open and she could make out at least one other messenger standing there. The office of Dawry hadn't changed, except for the fact that the sergeant was now wearing a full battle uniform, including a longsword, two daggers and a crossbow. Three other guards were present, wearing their arms.

Dawry nodded to her and pointed at an open spot between two of the boys. One slightly taller, the other slightly shorter, they stood next to her, quiet, staring at the opposite wall. Dwary was pacing in front of them nervously, his eyes taking in 'his' men.
Something wicked your way comes...

Posting rate: 2/week

Special:
[b]OOECP[/b] - [i]Grant[/i]ed by Maeve & Sosa
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Some god of justice... but I won't take a gift horse in the mouth. Thanks for fillin' me in, whomever you were. she thought to herself.

It was enough to keep her on her toes. Something was up and she knew she was going to be smack in the middle of something. Taking up her gear, she wandered over to Dawry's office. Taking a deep breath before she entered, her gaze looked focused and ready to complete her mission as she took her place and saluted. Her halberd was right at her side, her sling at her hip and her daggers secretly sheathed under her bracers.

"Awaiting orders, sir."
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

"As you are well aware, the Knot will be sealed tonight and it will be cleansed in the days to come." Dawry said, "The WSG is going down the drain, and Jubal will have to flee or he'll end up in jail until we can take him to court." He turned away from the men, his shoulders slightly hanging, "Those of you who have had sufficient armed training on a horse report to the quartermaster. Those of you who do not, take your weapons and head over to the Docks. Standing orders hanging at the harbormasters building. You will see your fellow men there. Your names will be on the list and the duty roster you will have for the next day or two. Any questions?"

As they left the office, one of the others put a hand on Bernice's arm. "Wait up! You're new right? Didn't get trained in horseback fighting I guess? Wanna head to the docks with me?" he said, "The name's Michael by the way.". The young man extended his hand to the guardswoman. He looked quite a bit younger then her. His expression was quite jovial given the situation. His brown hair was tucked neatly under his helmet and he wore a shield with a short sword. A dirk was hanging from his belt.

The docks were bustling with guardsmen, soldiers and officers barking orders to small groups of men and women. A few ships lay moored, the crews on the decks, waiting to see what was happening. Soldiers were working hard in cooperation with a few dockworkers and horses and mules to move crates and any other big objects into the streets towards the Knot. Everyone moved around in haste and none paid attention to one another. Everyone carried out their own tasks at hand.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"One question, sir. Have they any reports on the assassin who tried ta' hit Jubal? Considering it was the hit that caused the riot in the first place, wouldn't the people who set up that hit also be held accountable?"

It was an honest question, after all... what idiot would pull a sloppy job and not expect all this madness to happen?

"Also... are the bounties still in effect? The last thing we need er' some freelancers getting in the way of the sweep trying to take out members and causing more of a war than what we're going into."

---

She smiled at Michael and nodded, looking over to him. He was young and fresh... likely one who would be watching her every move like she was drafted to in order to watch Dawry. Too bad she didn't have enough time to put all of the pieces together. Still, it was good to have a new buddy around in the case she was wrong. She took his hand and shook it firmly.

"Yeah. I barely got some horse riding in not long ago. Wouldn't know how to fight on one ta save my life. The name's Bernice! I'll head on over with ya. Not sure where the Harbormaster's office is in order ta get my orders."
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Dawry turned back to them and looked Bernice in the eye. "To be honest with you, we know less about the assassin than the bounty hunters seem to do. As for holding someone accountable, we will, but first we have to get evidence and identities. We can't do anything without that. Does that answer your questions?" he answered, before the second part of her query came in.

"The bounties are not in effect right now. There have been some doings in the Knot lately that need us to act immediately. Everyone in the Knot and out on the streets is considered a felon. Dead or alive, hopefully the latter, but we will stop them. Bounty hunters can fight with us and will receive pay, but that's the end of the line." he said, hooking his thumbs behind his belt.

"Anything else, young Potts?" he asked.

[hr][/hr]

A soldier came riding up to them, a corporal by the looks of his rank signs. "Hey there! You seem lost, didn't take a look at the schedule yet, did you?" he said and pointed he thumb over his shoulder toward the harbormasters office. A small one story building with a lot of the city guard surrounding it. The soldier spat on the ground and saluted them half heartedly before he continued his way.

As they fought there way through the crowd of soldiers and city guards to get to the big schedule that hung on a wall of the small building. If Bernice perused it, she would find her name along with that of four others and that of a Lieutenant Löch. Michael shuddered for a moment. "Seems we have a graveyard shift, Bernice. We're both with Löch." he said to her, his voice less motivated by every word. "Better go get a few hours of the inside of your eyes before we get to work, don't you think?" he said, pointing to a few words at the bottom of the schedule, saying "Sleeping grounds: Warehouse K-9". A small, drawn map hang next to the schedule with basic, yet important, locations on it.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"Any word on the dealings in the Knots with them makin' this move? Must be pretty big ta bring in so many. They must be raisin' a bloody army to have one raid the place. I'd like ta know what kind of weaponry we're lookin' at if we're taking people dead or alive."

Her eyes reflected a true inquisitiveness without suspicion, as she was asking about the mission and not Dawry's involvement. A superior such as he should have gotten more information on the situation if the bounty hunters knew more about the assassins than he did, but that wasn't the point right now.
--

Bernice ignored the spit and saluted the man fully with a perky spirit, ready to serve and protect.

"Thank you, sir! We'll be on our way!"

Looking over the itinerary, she looked at it a little longer to get her reading set in right. She shook her head at the graveyard shift and sighed. Tossing her head in the direction of the sleeping grounds, she motioned him to walk with her, hoping not many would hear their conversation.

"Tell me about Loch, Michael. I've been under Sergeant Dawry these past few tides. What you so nerved about, he a hardass er something? If he is, we'd better only get a half wink. If we're in deep sleep when 'e calls, he's gonna have our hides, I'm sure."
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Dawry looked at Bernice and sighed. "Reports tell me they have been setting up patrols in the area, staying away from the boundaries of their turf. They're getting ready to fight and probably have someone on the inside giving them information. Weapons we are looking at are daggers, swords, clubs... anything they can use to kill someone. If they have to they'll use cobblestones too I bet. Bad enough as it is, but it might get worse. Who knows what they are up to." he said and the look in his eyes was one of defeat.

[hr][/hr]

Michael looked at her in disbelief for not having heard of the man. "Damn Bernice, under what rock have you been hiding, or just not too interested in the history of the guards? I mean... Löch, he still believes in corporal punishment of his men, or as he sees them: minions. He expects flawless performance. The man is a machine... a beast. It's said his men have survived thirty to one odds on the battlefield. He has more decorations than most people have furniture. See what I'm getting at? The man is a hero, but no one likes him." he told her as they walked towards Warehouse K-9.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Bernice felt some compassion for this man. They were going in without much to go off of. Maybe this was a last minute decision on the Duke's part or something. She drew in a big breath and let it out in a huff of worry, but kept her attentive salute.

"... Blue Nether... 'ey... if ya don't mind me speakin' freely, sir; Chin up. We may be walkin' inta the worst fight of our lives in a long time, but if ya got anyone in here that you believe in, now's the time ta believe in them. It don't matter who you can or can't trust right now... even if it's yerself and we're about to walk inta a heavy pile of shite, believe in something. It's the only way any of us er' gonna make it."

Whatever side he was on, be damned. Seeing defeat in his eyes made a bad example on the troops and that was the last thing they needed.

"... That's all on my end, sir. If we're dismissed..."

--

"I've 'ad four tides as a new recruit without even a bloody unit, ye think I'm going to be doing much other than gettin' me battle ready?"

Bernice shook her head, but smirked while putting an arm around Michael's shoulder.

"Well, then. Up at three marks, shoes armor and weapons polished and be ready to meet him at the reported area fifteen burns early. You afraid of getting hit, Michael? Then you never should 'ave joined the guard. Whatever 'e does, even if it kills ye', don't give up. The biggest defiance ye got with a man like that is pure obedience te the best of yer ability. If it isn't enough for him an he flogs ye, take it like a man, and don't give him the satisfaction of hearin' ye scream."
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Dawry stood at attention in front of them and saluted. "Squad, DIIIIIIIS-MISSED!" he bellowed and waited for them to go out and have a night of fun.

[hr][/hr]

Michael laughed nervously and walked into K-9. "Well," he said, "I'm gonna catch a nap and make sure I'm ready in time. Don't wanna disappoint the Lieutenant. And if we do well, we might well be promoted. Those who serve under him and have him backing you up during promotion discussion usually do well."

He looked for a open piece of floor where he could lie himself and his belongings down until he had to wake up. He arranged with one of the caretakers that they would wake him up about a quarter of a mark before he had duty. "Not afraid of getting hit by the way." he said as he took off his armor. "My only fear is to get hit by him. I'd die for Dort if I had to. The watch has always properly defended my family and I, so now it's my time to return the favor if I have to. I just hope the gods will be with us. Those Waterstreets... they are some nasty fighting lot. Better watch your surroundings as well as your opponents if you get into a fight."

He finished in silence, lieing down and closing his eyes. Soon he was off to sleep.

(OOC: To speed up events, you can post a reply to this and about waking up or a summary of making arrangements for being woken up etc. and we'll continue from the point where you regain consciousness again, if you so desire. If there's anything else you want to discuss, please send me a pm)

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"Might not want to take off all yer armor. We need a catnap, not a deep sleep. We might not wake up in time otherwise. 'Sides, yer tempting a poor girl with that show!"

Bernice winked with a hint of wryness. She took off the armor which was the easiest to don like her leg armor in the case she overslept. She kept her bracers with her hidden knife sheaths on... something still wasn't right about all this. Looking around the room for a time candle or something to keep track of things. She took off and folded her guards tabbard to the side in order to keep it from getting crinkled during her nap.

"I'll give ya a good rib ta wake up."

She made her backpack her pillow and breathed in deeply. Keeping a cats eye every now and then to the candle or the door to see who all else was arriving. She wasn't nervous, just wise, as she had no idea what the Waterfront was up to.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The marks progressed with nothing much happening. Michael seemed to sleep will, his breathing slow and a snoring sound coming from him. At times other guards and soldiers walked in or out until finally the candle had reached it's three mark line. Michael, still asleep wearing non of his armour, rolled over like he had done many times in the past few marks.

There was a little murmur coming some ways behind her as a few guardsmen got up, checking their weapons and adjusting the straps of their armor after donning it. Their faced were scarred and their armors seemed battle worn. Just before heading off towards the door, they cocked their crossbows, loaded a bolt and put the safety on, hanging it from their hips. The crossbows were small, and each of them carried two.

They disappeared out the door without saying a word, but their faces were grim yet determined.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"Up and at 'em, Michael!"

She gave him a huge poke in the ribs, teaching him to have kept the bigger part of his armor on like she advised.

"It's gonna take you longer te get ready now! Hope he doesn't have your bullocks since some of the boys 'ave already gone out!"

Bernice took her time to put back on the leg and arms of her armor, making sure her uniform was in decent condition before putting it on. She checked her weapons and got ready as she watched Michael get ready (politely turning the other way if he had to change). Once she was done, she would fold her arms to see Michael's progress.

"I ain't bein' late fer yer sake..."
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Michael woke up and looked at the candle. His eyes grew wide as he saw what time it was and was on his feet in the blink of an eye. He put on his armor pieces with great efficiency and speed, now and then asking Bernice to check if a strap was fastened well enough.

"Sorry for sleeping in," he said "luckily I've helped enough men put on their armour to know which way is fastest. Let's head out quickly." He said, putting his belt around his waist and checking his sword.

He gave her armour a quick once over, adjusting a few straps here and there. "Quite a good job you did yourself. Sure it's your first day?" he asked and smiled as he set out for the door.

Once outside they saw the two men that had slept near them as well as seven others. All wore their armour and their weapons. The more experienced ones had different armours and some of their own weapons it seemed. They could see Löch's bald head before they could see the pitch black chainmail he wore with the golden on it.A longsword and a mace were hanging from a belt carried by a young child. In his other hand the child held a small belt with four small knives on it. Next to his feet stood a big hammer of war, the head at least as large as the child's.

Löch looked around patiently. He took the belt and put it around his waist. The smaller belt with the knives was fastened on his left upper leg. He then took the warhammer in his hands and swung it a few times. He took a few banner from a small pouch he wore on a chain around his neck and gave them to the kid.

The child ran off, happy with his money, as Löch turned around and seemed to inspect the two newcomers.

Special:
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

(OOC: Joining this thread at the request of Adanadhel... :) )

Amber had arrived outside the K-9 warehouse well before the appointed time. She'd been so excited at finally getting into some action that she wouldn't have been able to sleep. Besides, she hadn't seen any place she'd feel comfortable sleeping at all alone, anyway. She waited around for several minutes, fretting about whether or not this was the right place to be, but her fears were allayed when a few other guards showed up, apparently waiting.

She saw a male and a female guard appear, and right after them, Loch showed up. For some reason, his appearance immediately made her feel out of place. Everyone else was wearing armor and uniforms, and here she was, dressed simply in her favorite trousers and sleeveless shirt, with no armor at all. She had the tabard still folded up under one arm, but she thought that'd only make her look even more conspicuous. She shifted uncomfortably, but held her ground, determined to see this through.
Last edited by Amber Kynterle on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowgirls Exotica's "Queen of Hearts" - 2008
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"I never said it was my first tide, just said I was new. Though I did work the caravans for my in-laws as a spare guard, so I know how to put stuff on... that and I only took off the leg and arm pieces so I'd be able to stay on my toes."

And off they went, many of the brigade already there. They were early, but not nearly as early as everyone else. Bernice sighed to herself, talking very quietly to Michael before getting in line.

"Look sharp, look serious, and speak when spoken too."

With that, she stood at attention as perfectly as she could with a look of deadly seriousness across her face. Only her eyes moved when she looked at the new girl who was carrying her folded tabbard.

Ooooooh, is that girl in the dog house... Bernice thought.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

A few of the group already present whistled as Amber joined them. As most any man they loved women and didn't see a lot of them as they were usually out in the open doing their jobs. And now there was a woman waiting with them, including weapons and tabard. This would be one hell of a fine night.

Again the boys whistled when another female made her appearance, but shifted their attention soon back to redhead. It was now that Löch called for their attention by clearing his throat. His hammer warhammer slung over his shoulders behind his neck, his hands resting on the shaft. He walked up to Amber, his fierce eyes looking her up and down. His green eyes fiery as he leaned in and brought his nose just an inch away from hers. "Are you expendable?" he barked, continuing before Amber could answer. "The answer is NO! Not when you're in MY team! So why in the Nether's name do you think you can join us with a freaking tabard folded under your arm?! You do know how to wear it right? Better see to it, you got until I am ready inspecting the other newcomers!"

He turned and strode over to Bernice and Michael. "Mikey, spotless as ever. How's your father?" he asked the boy. The guardsman replied with a smile "Fine, sir! It's an honour to work with you! He's told me so much about you! Still hates it how he lost his leg in the skirmishes!". Löch simply nodded and turned toward Bernice.

His eyes went up and down and up again. "Been in the guard for a long time, dear? Saw any action?" he asked and pulled a few times on her armor. "Seems you did a good job on that. I'll bet you'll do fine tonight, if you know how to follow commands though."

He then took a few steps back and addressed the whole group. "Everyone, we got three newcomers. They won't stay with us forever, but will help out tonight. Give them a fuzzy feeling will ya? And we're gonna bring these three back in one piece, no matter what, alright?" he said and the troupe gave a hearty laugh.

"If the three of you would be so kind to give them your names so we know how to address you, we should be set before I tell you what we're gonna do and move out." he continued as the laughs died down.
Last edited by Adanedhel on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Special:
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber tried to ignore the whistles as she joined the men - it wasn't the first time males had noticed her looks - but nevertheless, she hoped the darkness would hide her blushing, which she couldn't entirely stop. She'd just managed to get it under control when Loch was in her face and started yelling at her. She braved the storm quietly, but as soon as he told her to see to it, she started working at getting it on. Thankfully, it didn't prove much trouble and by the time Loch was finished talking to the other two newcomers, she had it on. She could only hope it was on properly.

"Uhm... I'm Amber," she volunteered as Loch instructed them to introduce themselves. "I'm from a farm outside Dort. And... um... you can just call me Amber." She winced at how lame she sounded, and managed to keep herself from babbling on any further.
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"Thank you, sir. I've had action as a caravan guard for my family, but I have yet to be introduced to a guard unit and their commands. I will follow instructions to the best of my ability, sir!"

Her tone was serious as she kept a poker face. She knew enough to keep standing at attention. Michael's mention of his father losing a leg from being with Loch's group gave her a blinking moment or two from her serious position with a slight look of concern and a heavier breath than usual. Not allowing her slightly unnerved state get to her performance, she said nothing more. Her gaze turned to the new girl every now and then, wondering where they dragged her from... the poor girl.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Michael kept staring in front of him, but hissed between his teeth "Your name, Bernice. You forgot your name!". He could get in trouble for this, but he didn't want Bernice to be packing so soon.

When Bernice had told her name, Michael spoke loud and clear "Michael O'Connel, Sir!". The rest of the group gasped and one was so bold as to speak. "Sir, the O'Connel I assume? Ain't it better to leave him here where he's safe?" he asked.

Löch turned his head towards the one that had spoken his mind and strode up to him. "If it was not for his father's supreme tactical skills, son, you wouldn't be the unit you are today. I wouldn't be standing here. Consider your pay halved for the next month for questioning my decisions." the commanding officer barked.

He then went back to Amber and looked her over. "It'll do, Amber." he said and gave her an approving nod. Walking back to his place in front of the group, he looked up at the stars for a moment before turning back to them. "Alright, the fact is, the Knot is full of delinquent scum. Everyone that is packing a weapon or out on the streets for that matter is a viable target. Subdue if you can, only kill when there's sufficient reason to. We are the ones with training and should set an example for them. Who knows they might get into our ranks one day. Understand? We will be the head of the lance that goes in the area. Any questions?" he asked, finishing his short monologue.

When none of his men asked any questions, he looked at two ladies.
After their questions had been answered he smiled mischievously and barked "What are we?", to which his men shouted "Daring eagles, sir!". "What are we?" he asked again, and they shouted "WAR!". "WAR!" he shouted and his deep voice was bone chilling as he raised the warhammer high above his head.

He took place aside the group and barked his first commands: "Attennn, HUT! Double time, MARCH!". The group immediately started to pace forth in double time, keeping a close eye that the newcomers would do so too, helping them along if need be.

Special:
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber tried not to flinch too noticeably when Loch came back and started to look her over. She knew then that she was definitely not the regular soldier type, and she was starting to question her decision to get involved in this. Perhaps it would have been better if she'd just done things on her own. But then again, she realized, if she hadn't joined up with the Watch tonight, she might have been one of the ones they pounced upon and dragged to jail, since they were going after whoever was on the street or armed.

She breathed a soft sigh of relief as Loch nodded in approval and turned away from her. She didn't have any questions - at least, not any she was brave enough to ask - so she kept her mouth shut. She kept casting surreptitious glances at the other woman, trying to imitate her posture and facial expression.

The order to march caught her by surprise, and she had no idea what "double time" meant, so she was left standing there for a moment as the squad took off. Muttering a curse to herself, she scampered after them.
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

She cleared her throat quickly as Michael hissed, showing a moment of sheepishness, revealing her wet-behind the ears nature but for a few moments before returning her stern gaze at her superior.

"Bernice Potts, sir!"

Having a slight look of "damnit" in her eyes, she felt relieved that the other idiot who spoke out of turn got his attention. She managed a quick nod to Michael for saving her rump. She saluted, daring to ask Loch a relevant question to their mission.

"Sir! Is our focus subdue or subdue and capture on this mission? Are we taking down the rough ones first for the other units to come in on, or are we taking everything as we go?"
--

Bernice winced slightly at Loch as he and his men shouted out. Taking in a deep breath, she began to realize how much of a tough buzzard he was. She marched in double time, glad to have practiced her running with her few days in the barracks. Her halberd mounted for her marching formation, she kept up as well as she could, trying to keep her steps in time with the rest of the unit. Her eyes would glance every now and again to Amber, hoping she could keep up.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Löch looked at Bernice, and giving her a toothy smile, he said "Subdue, guard. Capturing is for those behind us. Unless you wanna go the touchie feely way with them if you prefer. Do you?". Before she could answer he had turned away. The answer was given, and it was clear. No mistakes could be made about that.

[hr][/hr]
Bernice and Michael kept up good with the rest of the squad. Amber, who had fallen behind a little as they abruptly left, was soon joined by one of Löch's men. "C 'mon", he said friendly, "we'll catch up before you know it. Just be sure to have your weapons within hands reach when we enter the Knot." Speeding up a little bit, they got closer and closer to the rest of the group, marching as one.

It was a hubbub of guardsmen and soldiers wherever they went. When they ventured into the Knot after a few minutes though, the voices died down and everything became silent, an eerie silence. The only sounds was that of the armor and weapons they wore, but most of all the sound of their boots crashing down on the cobblestones. They could only see a stray cat walking on the street, scurrying away as it noted the group of warriors.

They were a block into enemy territory as they heard shuffling behind them, followed by a person whistling. Their group abruptly halted, turning to see what was happening and instinctively taking their weapons.

From the direction of the whistle, men came walking out of the alleys on each side of the road. It was quite a band, at least ten to fifteen men strong, ranging in age from mere teenagers to broadshouldered adults well into their thirties. Some had clubs or pieces of wood, others carried knifes, chains, or even some sort of crude stone mace.

"See that" one of them said, "They be eagles." and he snorted. "Whaddya gonna do? Fly away?" he continued and imitated a bird flapping it's wings with his arms. The rest of the group fell into a fit of laughter with him.

Löch stepped towards the group. "By the rights given to me as a representative of Duke von zu Dort-Billigh, I hereby give you the choice to fight or surrender." he said, his voice strong, almost commanding. The boy who had spoken didn't speak. Instead, he looked and spat on the ground between them. Moving his hand into the air, he flicked his index finger towards the group of war veterans. As he did so, four of the gangmembers rushed towards Löch and his men, flinging their chains in a swift pattern. Soon the rest rushed after them.

Löch, no stupid man, fell back and barked "Defensive line! Take them out!". The men moved, making a V shape of their ranks, the one who had joined Amber as the tip of it. She was on his left hand slightly behind him, and Bernice and Michael had respectively the thrid and fourth position on his right hand. Löch took his place in the middle of the V, keeping a close eye on what happened.

OOC: have fun ladies ;) Time to show what your worth
Last edited by Adanedhel on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Bernice wasn't experienced with chains, nor was she familiar with the V tactics that Loch was putting them into. She knew enough about dealing with a crowd fight from her times at the bar that picking off the leader or the toughest bastard in the group was the quickest way to end it.

She had range on her side with her halberd, and she knew that they had a little more range than the normal mobbers. Deciding to aim low with the first four who were rushing in, since their chains were leaving their arms somewhat high, and their legs out in the open.

"Na! You blokes er' the ones about ta fly!" she snarled at the charging group.

"HRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!"

Her brothers often joked around while calling her a 'screamer', but there was something in Bernice which was dangerous in a real fight. A blood curling and enraged scream erupted from her lungs as she took enough of a step out of formation to properly swing her halberd and throw her weight into a kneeling position to nail the kneecaps of the first four who charged in. Depending on how far they were spread, they would fall directly into the waiting weapons of the middle of the V. While this was a good idea for the first wave, she hoped the ones at the tips could cover her ass while she could shift her weight and get back on her feet.

She also hoped that this tactic would trip up the other idiots charging in if they tripped over the first group that she broadsided.
Last edited by Bernice Potts on Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber was even less familiar with the V-formation than Bernice was, if that were possible. Although she'd fought in several battles and was no stranger to fighting, she'd never used group tactics before. She'd spent all of her time on the battle field fighting alone, or with the clansmen, and they never used organized formations anyway.

She wasn't afraid of fighting, or even of dying, but she suddenly felt claustrophobic stuck in the formation. All she had were her knives - which required her to get up close and personal to use - and as the thugs came at her with chains that had a considerable reach advantage over her, she felt like a sitting target. There was no way she was just going to stand there and catch a length of chain in the face.

Thinking fast as she saw Bernice start to move forward on the other side of the line, she called to the man directly behind her, "Move up! Take my spot!" and then she stepped out and away from the formation, bringing her knives up into the ready position.

As soon as Bernice's swing reached the point of its farthest extension, Amber darted in on the first group of thugs from the opposite direction. If Bernice's blow took them down, she'd be there to make sure they didn't get back up. And if they didn't go down, hopefully Bernice's attack would at least leave them off balance, and then Amber would slip in and sink a blade into the nearest foe.

Return to “Triangle Islands”