Just a Waneday, Jygust 30th EMT

The glorious Summer City upon the white cliffs of the magical Mer de la Luna in the Western Kingdom that harbours many nobles. Home to the Summer Palace of the former King as well as vineyards that produce the city's famous wines. Anything is possible here, if you are willing to bring the right sacrifices.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"Thank you.. please hold them with you. As they are no weapons anymore, you are no enemy. Just keep them visible so you can defend us."

"As you wish," Arnholt replied, accepting his dagger back again with no further commentary. His expression remained mild, but a black mark had just appeared next to Gwayne's name on the cultist's mental Justice list. Where the adhiel might see an issue of trust, he saw only an absurd game of "gotcha." As for Shiera, her antics had the cultist priest seriously ready to throttle her, at least until the showing of Righteous' sign reassured him as to where her loyalties lay. His face briefly registered a brazen grin as they headed into the temple before settling again into something more somber and businesslike.
"Wait, I think I misunderstand you..." Said Vigxhunna to Arnholt. "...You wish to help us raise a sword against our enemies? Isn't that dangerous for monks of Dominicus?"

"A sword!?" bellowed Arnholt. He was nearly as shocked as a real monk would have been upon being asked that question. What the hell had he said to make the adhiel believe he was suggesting a violent uprising with Oneist monks in the front ranks? "Opposing oppression?" These elves must be mad for revenge, if they think that must mean taking up arms. Which was good news, in the sense that they were apparently ready to fall in line under Righteous' banner in a moment's notice. If the Righteous Order was in a stronger position Arnholt might have jettisoned his cautious approach then and there and said, "Sure, rise up. We've got your back." But in reality there was no way that he could accommodate such wishful thinking.

"I beg your pardon, priestess," he said humbly, bending in a stiff vow. "You do misunderstand. As I said before, we are not a military order. We have no swords to raise up. Even if we did, the Light of the One Monastery would not take up arms against anyone, much less believers in our own faith, however deluded their ways. Ours is the way of peace... not war. And it is a mission of peace that brings me here." Arnholt ran his fingers through his beard thoughtfully as he went on, trying to get the discussion back on track as quickly as possible. "No doubt the fault is mine, by not explaining our offer clearly enough. I am offering our assistance in the lists of diplomacy. We cannot be your sword. We will not be. But my brothers and sisters and I can be your shield. The Light of the One has a great deal of influence in this city, still. We can use that influence on your behalf, arguing to the council for your concerns, as well as our own. We can do our part to rally the people to peaceful protest in order to effect change in Roque d'Ancourt. We can stand with you to show the world how followers of the One God and those of the Mother can coexist in peace, as we did, once, before the policies our the late King Balthasar poisoned the relationship between us."

"However," he went on, "All of those things are a matter for future discussion. For now, all we can offer you is our recognition of your temple and our plea for you to come to the negotiating table. Please do not think that peace is a gift only those of our faith can give or take away. Some effort is required on your part as well." Fully collected once again, Arnholt turned his eyes back to Gwayne. "You are wise of course to question what it is that we want of you. I will ask you, however, to refrain from further insulting speculation regarding our motives. You accuse us, sir, before even allowing us to answer your concerns. Such talk is hardly helpful to our negotiations."

Turning to the assembled adhiel, he called, "What brings us here? Before asking that question, first ask yourselves if you were the only ones who lost a loved one in the war. I assure you: You were not!" he shouted, answering his own rhetorical question. "There are many of my brothers and sisters who could tell you the same story that you have told me. Brother Velvel and Sister Shiera, here, know that pain. And even I... a good friend of mine was..." Arnholt paused, bringing up a hand to hide his face as he trembled with emotion, in order to hide the 'holy' hatred before it started showing in his eyes. When he spoke again it was in a far softer tone. "We know something about suffering and loss. We have seen for ourselves the excesses committed in our One God's name. We want to set things right. That is all." Straightening, he brushed his hands on his monk's robes, trying for a diplomatic mien once again. "Do all of our brethren at the monastery share our... unique perspective? No. But all of us are equally committed to preventing bloodshed in Roque. Father Rohan knows of your temple here. He has seen for himself the anger in this city. Already violence has come to our very door, and our beloved monastery has been vandalized. We want such unwarranted aggression against our order to cease immediately. We have chosen to engage your community, here, in dialogue in order for us to address your grievances... and ours... in a civil and constructive manner. If there is rioting in the streets of our city... if there is war and rebellion... all of our people will suffer. Surely you can see that?"

Words that the Goddess of Justice would not be especially enthusiastic about. She had to know, though, that for now this kind of smokescreen was necessary to protect Her cult from detection.

In the end, Arnholt assured Her, It will hardly matter. We will have Justice with him or without him, my Goddess.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

"As you wish..." It sounded odd to the adhiel, as he had just given the man his means of defence back, that he craved so much for that he had hidden it on his body. he wished that he could read what was hidden behind those eyes of the man who called himself a monk. He was unlike any of the followers of Domicus Gwayne had ever met, and he was not sure if it was a improvement, at least from the others he knew that they hated him and wanted his blood.

He was for a few flickers so lost in his thoughts until Arnholt's "A sword !" forced him back to the strangeness of reality. He waited and listened giving Arnholt all the space to elaborate until the moment the man addressed him directly with his. "You are wise of course to question what it is that we want of you. I will ask you, however, to refrain from further insulting speculation regarding our motives. You accuse us, sir, before even allowing us to answer your concerns. Such talk is hardly helpful to our negotiations."

It brought a soft smile to mercybringers face, and it triggered something deep inside him that almost made him laugh at the words.. Instead his eyes focused on those of Arnholt and he waited until the man finished his speech.

The whole speech was something to admire, Gwayne wished he would be able to use words like this man did, still there was something wrong with the picture the man painted. For a flicker he wondered if all the things that had happened had made him into a bitter and distrusting person. So he viewed the surrounding people all the eyes that watched the small group, some filled with hate or anger, most with sadness and fear. Watching him, the bringer of mercy.. who would be priest of mercy, servant of the Goddess. The stable boy how sings songs for the children in the morning. Life was a precious thing, especially for him who had seen it disappear too many times. So he could never be too trusting anymore, he was the Mothers hand of death."

When finally Arnholt was finished he replied to the man about the remark made earlier, it was soft enough only to be heard by those who stood nearby. Gwayne decided to do that so the others would not be stirred into violence.

"You were the one carrying concealed weapons when asked to leave them, not me, a disturbing thing for a man who says that he comes for peace.... I would have accepted if you would have asked to keep your weapons. Still you preferred to rely on the ones not visible to the naked eye. My judgement is that you want more than peace, though to me its not clear what."

The smile became bigger.. "I never asked and said anything about a war against the followers of Dominicus, not even the murderers and destroyers.. those are mostly not from Roque, and still you brought it up.. when I asked what your goals where with us.. our goals are not war not now not ever. War is the destruction of life and the Temple stands for protection of life. If it is peace what you want I ... we can offer it to the Monastery, for us.. for me I just want to know what the price is what we shall pay to you when we accept your peace, preacher of Dominicus."

For a flicker he was silent. "If your price is too high I will ask Vixghxunna and the other sisters to guide the people to safety while we keep on chatting, and they move the people to a new location hidden from destructive eyes deep in the Mothers arms. Know man from Dominicus.. that this is not a temple for the Mother, it is Mother and she is in the heart of every person here, we share her love and life with everybody how needs it. We accept that nothing lasts for ever.. that everything changes. So if we leave only death will stay until life returns. So person who says that he is my friend, tell me as friend to a friend and in all honesty what is the price ?"

Gwayne felt strange, it was like all the words came from deep inside inside him. He was not a brave person, he was not a hero, still all the eyes made him say what was in his heart.. in his soul.. like he was the mercybringer and he was deciding if the temple would life or die..

He wished that Vixghxunna would make the decision, for him it was a heavy burden to carry, still his smile stayed, after all wasn't life wonderful ? He had to make a song out of this all.
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"You were the one carrying concealed weapons when asked to leave them, not me, a disturbing thing for a man who says that he comes for peace.... I would have accepted if you would have asked to keep your weapons. Still you preferred to rely on the ones not visible to the naked eye. My judgement is that you want more than peace, though to me its not clear what."

"We fear you," Arnholt admitted just as quietly. "Even as you fear us. To come carrying weapons openly might have invited attack. I will note that we offered our weapons once you assured us of our safety."

It was the truth, though not the whole truth, and with a liberal helping of spin. Anyone could see that the three 'Oneists' had reason to be afraid, speaking to an audience of nervous and unsympathetic pagans who far outnumbered them. Of course Gwayne couldn't know that the real reason for their caution was that they were actually daemon-worshippers whose cult had a history of being butchered.
"I never asked and said anything about a war against the followers of Dominicus, not even the murderers and destroyers.. those are mostly not from Roque, and still you brought it up..

At that, Arnholt felt moved to interrupt, holding up a hand in a request for Gwayne to pause a moment. "No, sir, I did not," he said flatly. "You will recall, it was not I who brought up the subject of raising swords." A tacit reminder that it was the priestess who had first raised the subject, upon misinterpreting his offer of diplomatic support as an offer of military support.
If it is peace what you want I ... we can offer it to the Monastery, for us.. for me I just want to know what the price is what we shall pay to you when we accept your peace, preacher of Dominicus."

"For now?" Arnholt asked. "Only that you do your part to spread the word in your community that we monks and nuns are not your enemy... that we wish to make peace. I hope that will help to prevent any further desecration our our monastery. In the future we may have other requests, but those will be subject to our mutual agreement, and arrived at through negotiation. We will not expect you to give us anything for which you get nothing in return. Specifically, at this point we are proposing that we set up a council in which our Church and your temple are equally represented, which will serve as the forum for future negotiations."

It was a modest proposal, but as good a place as any to begin. "Building the foundation" and all that.
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

As Arnholt masked his hate, his fingers grew numb and they began to glow, but if he tried, he could force it back down. Suppressing his hate-magick was not easy, but as it was now crucial for his survival, it could be done. The curtain of secrecy has long been crucial to Me, you are doing well... The voice sounded refined, restrained.

Vigxhunna nodded as he clarified, still uncertain regarding the peaceful intentions. She could detect a craving for action radiating from Arnholt, but it was a type of detection that she hadn't felt in a long time. She looked at Gwane again and squinted. There is a resentment glowing on these men, Mercy Bringer. I think there is something more under their mad god robes, but I'm unsure... Trust them for now, they seem as allies to me. He could hear her voice in his mind, and it sounded sincere, trusting.

"If a council is made, I want Gwayne to be the head representative of our Temple. That is all I have to say on the matter." Vighxunna stated. She nodded at him and she locked gaze with Velvel, then Shiera. "I imagine that you three would be on the council as well. I must say that I think that having a peace council is a splendid idea."

She put her hand on Gwayne's shoulder as she appointed him their representative. As she did so, a warm feeling of comfort spread through his body and he began to feel an increase in focus, and a peaceful attitude towards these diplomats. If he focused, he could also feel the truth in Arnholt's words of alliance, even if there was something secretive about him.

My Priest, they can see your truths! Be careful not lie to these priests! Said an irritated voice inside Arnholt's mind. He could feel a discomfort growing and the urge to assault Vigxhunna was growing deep inside him. Velvel and Shiera remained unphased, and it was apparent that they could not hear their Master as Arnholt could.
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

A chill ran down Arnholt's spine as-- belatedly-- he saw the beginnings of the daemonic glow that might give him away here and now. The cultist didn't panic, but folded his arms as naturally as he was able, so that the tell-tale sign of Righteous' power was veiled somewhat by his flowing while sleeves. Of course that was little more than a delaying tactic. Casting about desperately for a real solution, Arnholt quickly recalled the warning that the Goddess's holy book had offered, about joy being incompatible with the 'holy' feeling of hatred that the daemon-goddess required. Just now that might be a blessing. And so, shoving aside his momentary anger, the cultist reflected mightily on how neat it was that he was standing in an actual pagan temple, just as he'd so often wished to do. That seemed to do the trick.
The curtain of secrecy has long been crucial to Me, you are doing well...

While Arnholt had certainly never told Her by 'voicing' the thought 'aloud,' even within his own mind, the truth was he was somewhat ambivalent about his newly cemented relationship with the Daemon-Goddess. At the first moment of contact, he had been positively ecstatic. It had been a truly religious experience. But after that, Righteous had... well, she'd just kept hanging around. Which left Arnholt feeling like a devout Oneist might feel if Dominicus had appeared before him, embraced him as His true and faithful follower, and then crashed on his couch and started drinking his beer. No doubt that Oneist would find that, perversely, it was harder to worship a God who insisted on getting all up close and personal like that. In much the same way, Arnholt was finding it somewhat harder to accept Righteous as the Goddess of Justice when he could feel Her there in his head, radiating malice and a desire for bloodshed.

On the other hand, Arnholt wasn't much given to kidding himself. He never had been. Hoping all along for a Goddess to worship, the cultist had nevertheless been very much aware that he would be getting a hell of a lot of daemoness in the bargain. So, he had invited Her in, so to speak, and Righteous had responded by making Herself at home. Wasn't that pretty much the entire history of human/daemon relations? He really shouldn't have been surprised. Hell, he was lucky She wasn't just steering him around like a puppet. And feeling Her rein in Her darker urges just now, he couldn't help but smile again. Righteous really was all he could have hoped for in a daemoness. Smart. In control of Herself. She'd make a fine Goddess of Justice. She just needed a little help with public relations.

"If a council is made, I want Gwayne to be the head representative of our Temple. That is all I have to say on the matter." Vighxunna stated. She nodded at him and she locked gaze with Velvel, then Shiera. "I imagine that you three would be on the council as well. I must say that I think that having a peace council is a splendid idea."

Arnholt just nodded at the first point, glancing to the adhiel to see if he would accept... while wondering who the hell he was, anyway. Some kind of co-priest maybe? Regarding the second, he thought it would be a cold day in hell before he ever brought the jumpy Shiera back here again, but said only, "I hope and expect that I will be one of our monastery's representatives. But it is for Father Rohan to decide."

The cultist blinked once at his Goddess's warning. They could see his truths? Unbelievable. Apparently the rumors of pagan priests' magic were also true. He probably should have figured that he wasn't the only one around here with a link to divine power. Never have I been so grateful, he told Righteous fervently, that I have You here to guide me, my Goddess. Without that warning, he would undoubtedly have given himself away sooner or later. But as it was he was fairly sure he could lead this lot around by their nose indefinitely. He spoke the truth: he and his cultists were the pagans' friend. Unfortunately, the priestess and her henchman there would likely never accept that, if they figured out the true nature of Arnholt and his followers. They'd turn on them in an instant, no doubt. Like a dying man refusing the medicine that could save him.

Only You, Righteous, can save these adhiel from the Oneist threat, he told his Goddess. He was trying to appease Her, of course, but he meant every word of it. No doubt She would have known if he lied. The Mother may be strong, but her will is weak. She lacks Your inner fire. She doesn't have the strength to raise a fist against Dominicus. One day, Goddess of Justice, she will have cause to prostrate herself in thanks to your effort. One day, you will reign in the Aether, and none of these adhiel will be able to question Your divinity... nor will anyone.

And aloud... "If we are all agreed," Arnholt said pleasantly, "then would you care to propose the time and the place for our council's first meeting?"
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

OOC: Sorry for the late post, It was a bit buzzy here.

Gwayne waited, time was not really in the essence for the Adhiel. Changes had followed quickly and it was not easy to deal with all of it.

He bowed towards Vighxunn and accepted the wisdom of the Goddess that flowed through her. The Adhiel had the feeling that a lot happened behind the controlled face of Arnholt, something he could understand because the same happened to him.

“I wish to invite you all, to return here in three days, so we can prepare for the meeting in a well organized fashion. The council will gather, and forge a lasting peace...”

He smiled while he said the words, it would also buy him time to explore some paths for himself.. Like finding out who this man and this followers really were.
Times they where interesting, the Goddess had strange ways of showing her affection.. she had many faces, reflected in many eyes even those of Arnholt somehow, it worried Gwayne a bit..... actually a lot. While he waited for the answers.

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Arnholt successfully subdued his anger and he managed to beat down the power that had almost forced itself out of him. The Goddess of Justice's presence being near him was giving him power that required training to withstand without losing control. Her presence was following him throughout this experience for more than anything else the fact that She was growing impatient and his failure was not something She would accept. If it required Her to take the time to lend him assistance, so be it, after all, he possessed the Righteous Eye, and could therefore communicate with Her and vice versa, as the Book stated.

Vigxhunna nodded in agreement as Gwayne and Arnholt spoke. In different circumstances these two would probably make fine friends. Hell, in these circumstances they could make fine friends. It was all dependant on what Arnholt had planned and how Gwayne would handle it. Gwayne, who was now a mercybringer, but shall be much more in time. There is much for us to discuss tonight Gwayne, so stay behind when these three leave. She had not been finished speaking with him when the Oneists entered. There was more awaiting him than just maintaining the position of a Mercy Bringer. "In three days? That sounds fine to me."

"Vigxhunna, you should be on the council as well." Another female wearing vestments similar to Vigxhunna spoke. "How can we trust this stranger to speak for us?" Hearing this, Vigxunna just looked her in the eyes and nodded. The priestess was calmed and she looked as though it was clear, despite the fact that Vigxhunna hadn't said anything. "Oh... Very well, I understand."

My servant, are you quite done here? It seems you've got what you came for, and for now, being here is risking everything. The pendant Arnholt wore was growing warm as She continued to lend her advice. At this point, if the church authorities saw what was taking place, it would be troublesome. Not all were as optimistic as Arnholt and Father Rohan.
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"In three days, then," Arnholt agreed. "I believe this will be the beginning of a new era of friendship between my faith and yours. We will turn the page together on the dark, if not so distant, past."

Friendship between his faith and theirs, sure. But only the cultist's followers would understand that he wasn't referring to the Oneist Church. Heeding the Goddess's advice, Arnholt let those be his parting words. He offered his hand to the priestess and Gwayne, gave a short bow, and was swiftly on his way. Walking humbly, like a monk... though a cocky grin spread over his face once he and the others were a decent distance from the concealed temple. It lingered there, for a moment or two, before fading into a quietly contented smile that was much more fitting for a supposed Oneist ascetic.

So he'd succeeded in his mission, which was simply bringing the pagans to the table. That was good. It ought to raise his credit with Father Rohan, while helping to cement his reputation as an idealistic champion of the Unity movement. More importantly, he and his followers now had all the cover they needed for hanging around with the local pagan community, and he had already sighted a few candidates to be targeted for eventual conversion to Righteousness. There was still so much work to be done... and yet, another important hurdle had just been cleared.

"We must make our report to Father Rohan," he murmured to his companions. "First, however, I feel the need to pray and reflect upon our dealings with the pagans thus far. I hope the two of you will join me."

It was a veiled request for a private conference in one of the prayer rooms back at the monastery. What Arnholt wanted to say was too important to risk being garbled through the cultists' rudimentary cant, and it certainly wasn't to be discussed out here in the open. For all they knew, the Mother's followers were still watching them. Listening to them. Somehow. Ironically, Arnholt wouldn't feel entirely secure until they were back within the familiar walls of the monastery.

(Exeunt Arnholt)
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Arnholt's departure, was uneventful as Gwayne accepted the man's hand and watched him leave. To himself, Gwayne had a hard time judging the monk, something inside him felt like he was not their... his enemy, he just wondered who's enemy he was. Time or the Goddess would tell who was this enemy, for now the temple was safe.

The choice to have Arnholt followed was dismissed for now, trust was important, also some more eyes would be needed to watch the entrance of the Mothers Temple and its surroundings to make sure that no more surprises like this would spring up. He bit his lip when he realized once again how alone he was. A stranger in a strange world climbing a mountain of responsibilities, life was fun. For a flicker he was looking forward to get a drink.. then remembering how he arrived in Roque he postponed the idea until someone could keep a eye on him.

The young man turned towards Vigxhunna.

"More should keep a eye out for possible threats towards the Mothers home, Lady Vigxhunna. Much has to be prepared for the next council."

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Gwayne I would like you to learn to pray to the Mother for Her sacred power. This temple needs strong people protecting it, and your deeds of Mercy have certainly not gone unnoticed." She began to lead him towards her conference room once more. "Brother, please, I do not know if you can sense our desperation. It is truly good timing that those who were just here came to offer us aid, for this temple and it's worshipers are in danger. There are some out there who know of this temple that I fear cannot keep it a secret. The day will come when it is discovered, and the bloodshed will be terrible unless we have someone to equalize the force of oppression. I have a feeling those monks could offer help, but Gwayne." She began to clean the rest of her dishes, obviously very nervous from their conversation.

"You have to become a leader." Her graying eyes met his as she stopped what she was doing and she stared her life and soul into his eyes. "I am getting too old, my mind is weak and I lack resolve, we need someone young and brave who knows of Her wisdom but is not from this land. Everyone from around here is too afraid to be a defender.... Please do this, Gwayne, would you become a priest of the Mother?"
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

The words of the priestess ripped deeper in Gwayne's soul then a weapon ever could. How could he be a priest, he was insecure and not strong and even as a mercy bringer he had always wept for the dieing in stead of trusting the judgment of the Goddess. How could he ever protect the Temple. Being a priest, and a mercybringer would mean to make more decisions of life and death.. it scared the young man to the core.

Looking around and watching the eyes of Vighxunn and all the others he felt small.. still something inside him was showing him how he survived everything that the Goddess had thrown at him, even Syrawenn... he would survive, he always did, and if he felt bad, just do a Syrawenninny or something.. just KICK the hell out of them !!!

"I am scared Vighxunn, I really am. I am scared that I fail the task you want to lay on me. After all I am just a scout with a good voice. I always felt bad about being a mercy bringer in stead of proud. I never gave the Goddess all my trust.."

For a flicker a sad smile appeared.. "And she made my life.. well interesting, betraying me as much as granting me favours. It seems that now she is granting me favours again and I fear the price that i have to pay again."

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Gwayne... When one takes on the responsibility of being a priest of the Mother they enter a covenant with Her. She will not betray you if you follow Her will and devote yourself. I will not lie to you, it will require you to make a commitment toward acting in Her judgements. If She requires you to kill someone to protect Her young, you must do it. If your heart is not fickle, neither will be Her power." Vigxhunna held out her hand to him and closed her eyes. An orb of light appeared in her hand and it turned into a blue flame.

"Gwayne, the power of the Mother runs through my spirit because I've devoted my life to Her. Now I do not feel as I deserve it anymore, for I am not strong. If I had to kill an attacker, I would run. I am old and soft." She sighed and listened to his objections.

"I am scared Vighxunn, I really am. I am scared that I fail the task you want to lay on me. After all I am just a scout with a good voice. I always felt bad about being a mercy bringer in stead of proud. I never gave the Goddess all my trust.."

"Gwayne, listen to me. She did not lead you here for me to choose you because you were proud and because you gave Her all your trust, I picked you because you doubt. Your doubt will lead you to argue with yourself over Her judgments, bringing the answers out into the open instead of blindly following sage advice. Your words will become sagely in time, you will find."
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Vighxunn's words made the Adhiel man more at ease, though not blind for all the changes that she offered. As before he considered all the options and went forward, the Goddess was after all everything and the path of his life had guided him to this place in time. Now he could run away or stay and accept.

The Orb of blue flames was both soothing as scary to the man, as flames always do, they can burn, cleanse and bring light in the darkness. They are destructive and can protect you from the dark, to Gwayne flames where the essence of life, flames destroyed and brought renewal, change. Even love was a flame, it could warm and destroy as easily as any other burning fire.

Vighxunn's last word's almost disappeared in Gwayne fascination for the essence she was holding and without thinking, without doubt, he reached out for it, as always prepared to share himself with the world, with the mother....

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The flame was giving off warmth, but not heat, as Gwayne reached out toward it. If he touched it he would feel all of the blood in his body warm, any trace of coldness anywhere in his body would be gone. He might also notice that his hand appeared to have the flame licking through it, but did not show signs of burning, nor did it hurt at all. It was only warm, like the rest of him. There was no fear in him, there couldn't be. The essence of the Mother was one with him now, and Vigxhunna smiled and told him softly.

Doubter, if there is one thing you do not doubt, it is that you were meant to do this. Am I wrong? This poet showed all the signs of a promising successor to her. He was young, strong, he thought things through, and he was humble most of all. Most who would have been offered to be an important priest of the Mother would instantly accept, allowing their egos to swell with the title. Gwayne was different, he had to be the right one.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

It was... wonderful, the Adhiel could feel the Mother in every aspect of his body and soul. What was strange and somehow even erotic, what confused Gwayne a bit.

The words came up easily.

Mother, you are my guide
Mother, show me the way
Mother, give me your light
Mother, to you I pray

My love, you are my guide
My love, keep my heart safe
My love, stay at my side
My love, give me the strength to be brave

My death, you are my guide
My death, seduce me with your charms
My death, show me the way to the other side
My death, keep me in your arms

He felt new strength and weaknesses flowing through his body, voices talking to him and new fears replacing the old, life would never be the same.

He faced Vigxhunna's smile with one of his own..

"Thank you.."

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Thank you. I apologize for the inconceivably unorthodox methods of your ordination. These are trying times, and I trust that you are charismatic enough to make up for your lack of priestly training when consoling the worshipers. You will help me keep this temple out of the darkness, Gwayne." Her flame dissipated, but the feeling in Gwayne lingered for several flickers. Vigxhunna clasped his hand and turned it over, so that his palm would face up.

"Gwayne, try this for me. Pray to the Mother, and pray for Her to bless you as she just did for me. Have faith that she'll grant you Her blessed force and try to recreate that sacred flame. Could you do that for me? Do not feel pressured, for it is understandable if you fail, I merely wish to hit the ground running with your training of Faith." She smiled and she assured him.

"A hungry wolf has no time to learn how to bite, it just does so."
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Following the priestesses words Gwayne watched his palms wondering how to do it. So he swallowed some saliva and concentrated on his hands, in his mind he formed the words,

"A hungry wolf has no time to learn how to bite, it just does so."

Goddess by your strength
Goddess by your love
Goddess by your mercy
Place your light in my hands
So I can light the world
So i can bring light in my heart
So I can light the way
And be merciful

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

As Gwayne chanted in his mind sadly nothing happened.

Vigxhunna closed her eyes and sighed. "You must not be ready yet. I am sorry Gwayne." She did not say anything else, she just began to walk away, and she started cleaning her dishes again. As she was doing so the mercy bringer's fingers began to tingle. The cleaning priestess' adhiel ears twitched and she turned around to give Gwayne a wide-eyed look. His fingertips grew hot and the warmth spread through his body like a warm flow in his blood. The heat ran from his fingers to his feet and to his heart, and then it focused in his hands. Both of his hands caught flame, still not a normal flame, as it was not consuming his flesh. It was pale blue and it was a bit too hot for comfort, but not painful. His body was raging with energy that seemed to be rejuvinating him and empowering his every muscle. He felt relaxed, as if there was a steady flow running through him. Vigxhunna's eyes were gentle but sparkling, and her smile was wide. "Our training can now begin, Brother Gwayne."
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

When nothing happened the adhiel first felt not sad but relieved like it did not matter and he would not have the responsibility that the power would bring with it.

Then while he relaxed he felt strange, like he was more then normal and less then he could be so he smiled. She was testing and playing with him again, the Goddess had her own rules and nobody especially Gwayne would never totally understand them so he surrendered that thought and accepted her as he had always done. Accepted the Goddess as she had been, is and will be, for now and ever.

It was then when his body was filled with energy and fire emerged from his hands. One tear flowed over his cheek.. and everything changed.

He felt the energy and its light and darkness settling in him, now he was Gwayne the bringer of mercy.. servant of the Goddess.. priest..

Realizing that he had to give up his peaceful job as stable boy gave the man a feeling of loss. So it had to be.. maybe he could get Amber and Eivlis to Roque.. maybe he could.. New roads to the future opened, filled with light and darkness.. So be it.

He held the flame high so the light lit up the temple...
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

As Gwayne held his arm out toward the congregation, every adhiel in uniform grew wide-eyed as Vigxhunna had and turned to the altar to kneel. "Bless the Mother and her servants." Vigxhunna spoke and the worshipers chanted back. Vigxhunna stood behind Gwayne, putting her hands on his shoulders. "We will celebrate your ordination later tonight, for now we must focus on your training." She called a young adhiel girl over to them and whispered in her ear. "Gwayne, for your first practice of Her blessing, please use Her granted wisdom and tell me if this girl speaks honestly."

The seventeen or so girl had black hair and brown eyes, and her clothes were tattered and scant. "Brother Gwayne, hear my plight. I have not eaten in a day and a half. I came to this temple in search of guidance in my life and perhaps Her blessing. Both my parents left me at a small age and I am completely alone." A tear rolled down her cheek as she stirred up her troubles, and Vighxunna nodded with sympathy.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

A nod was growing inside Gwayne's stomach when Vigxhunna asked him to judge if the young woman was telling the truth. While her appearance was enough to make him wish she told the truth, and also to help her...

Life.. and the Goddess was not like that, his judgement could safe lives or when wrong cost them.. So in stead of looking in the girls eyes he tried to focus on her voice and feel the reflection of the voice inside him at the same place where the flame came from.

Goddess give me enough strength to judge...

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Her voice reverberated in Gwayne's mind and he could feel something unusual in his stomach. The flames that glowed on his hands faded and the sensation moved it's focus from his hands up through his arms and into his head. As Her power became wisdom, it seemed that he instinctively knew she was lying. It was similar to how he felt about Arnholt, except it was in the complete other direction. It was weak, and he had to focus intently to find the answer, but it was there if he could focus hard enough. Vigxhunna's smile grew as she saw Gwayne and noticed him manipulating this new energy. It wasn't common to be blessed this quickly and handle it so well, there was definitely something in his past the Mother had noted, or perhaps something in his future that She is awaiting.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Gwayne's eyes became large when he realized that the young woman was lying to him, he knew it was on purpose to teach him, still it hurt a bit.. He forced his face into a smile and said ..."Tssss. bad girl.. trying to cheat me.." then releasing the bad feeling he laughed. "Thank you young lady, that was quite a show !"

He was aware of all the new things.. the energy flowing through his body, and he accepted even though he did not understand it yet.

There was one thought that remained while watching the flame in his hand..

What kind a smart ass remark would Syrawenn make about this ?

One day he planned to find that out. Now he was just tired and hungry and so much to learn. Gwayne turned his attention back to the priestess.

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Heh heh, you should have known I was lying about the starving part, how could anyone go hungry with Vigxhunna here cooking all the time?" Lucia said with an excited voice. Vigxhunna ruffled her hair and maintained her smile.

"Lucia here merely prefers the more comfortable outfits that come with old clothes. Decadence isn't something she cares for." Vighxunna complimented her and put her hand on her cheek. "That was a stunning performance, well done." Lucia giggled and she blushed, waving at Gwayne flirtaciously and returning to her parents.

"That's our daughter, always the little actress." The three of them resumed praying towards the altar and Vigxhunna placed her hand on Gwayne's shoulder.

"In time you will learn to not only see the truth and enhance your mind with Her Wisdom, but you will be able to strengthen your body with Her Force as well, and perhaps even close your wounds with Her Love. You can find the light in the deepest of darkness with Her Resolve, and I have faith that you will guide us to victory over oppression, as a beacon in the night. Wisdom, Force, Love and Resolve are the gifts She has given me. In time you may learn as much, perhaps even more than I have."
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Gwayne sighed while he waved towards the young woman called Lucia and listened to Vigxhunna. He was not overly happy with the thought that he had to be able to close his wounds or strengthen his body... it would mean that there was war.

He would do his best, and protect his people. Already he wished that he was a simple stableboy.. and he had a feeling that he would wish for that many a time in the future.
Also he had a feeling that he heard someone laughing inside him, It annoyed and made him feel blessed at the same time.

"Well, I am hungry again.."

The young adhiel chuckled, it seemed since he was the light in the temple he could eat a mountain of food.

"We should have some fun to release the tension, also I have to take care of my life I guess. Vigxhunna, should I stay and sleep in the temple from now on ? "

He had to arrange that he got some clothing.. he saved enough money for it now. And he had the feeling that he had to carry a larger weapon again... Life had suddenly gotten more dangerous again.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt”