[Dort] The Lights are much Dimmer There [Jyg 30 MT]

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"Shot, eh?"

Bernice couldn't help but smirk at the lady ratting out the other gentleman out. She took the other ladies hand and nodded, but kept professional as well as an eye on things.

"Was he shot from the front or the back? Were there multiple arrows 'er one fatal shot? He'd aft to be damn right at the door for the force of the shot to throw 'im hard enough through a glass door to smash it... and if such was the case, they're be at least some blood where the poor bastard landed on the glass when he hit the ground. Glass may be breakable, but there's been enough staggering drunks around this place to not shatter the damn thing so I could hear it down the street."

She turned to Guido and folded her arms as she tilted her head. She smirked and sighed, not deciding the play the bully and shook her head.

"Now, I'm not a bitch, sir. But that may be important evidence. You might as well thank the lady in the case what's in there is downright illegal."

Offering her hand out to receive the pouch, her own charming smile came back to Guido with a slight hint of sass.

"I'd be the bigger bitch to let ye have that and let you be caught with something you took that isn't yours. Since you're being cooperative in assisting in a case instead of keeping it to yourself, some tightwad guard won't smell that thing on you and haul it in, thinking it was yours."
Last edited by Bernice Potts on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Porcelina
Civus

Post by Porcelina »

The Ssin’Clair brothers didn’t fancy being in close proximity to the Watch, so they remained at the table they had shared with Claire while she made her way over to where Bernice stood. When Claire started speaking to Bernice, Owain looked from the ladies to the bartender, and back again, “I’m not sure if this has any connection with the incident or not, but it might require some investigatin’.”

Scratching his head, Owain continued in a calm manner, “I caught sight of someone fleeing from a rooftop nearby. Had on a black cloak, but I couldn’t tell you if it was a man or woman. And yeah, the poor sucker was shot. Had an arrow plunged into his back.”

“Thank you,” Syndi smiled at Guido as she placed herself into a chair across from his. Looking at the pouch, the young woman dared not to touch it as he pushed it towards her, “I do not recognize it. You are probably correct in your assumption that it played a role in his death which is why I am not going to bother touching it. Besides, it would seem like that woman over there,” Syndi nodded her head in Claire’s direction, “is trying to get you into trouble.”

“Any luck on getting us out of here and on our way?,” Kade whispered into Claire’s ear as he quietly came up from behind her.

Now that the pouch was in Bernice’s hands, all eyes were upon her, waiting for the woman to open it. Clearing his throat, Owain made his way back to his seat at the bar and quietly whispered something to the portly bartender.
Last edited by Porcelina on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

She looked around the place for a moment and the people watching. She knew she wasn't supposed to make a scene like this, but such was the crap that a rookie had to wade through.

Bernice saw Owain and the bartender talking, deciding that it was wiser not to open the thing right now. If there was a certain smell to it she would take note of it, but she kept it in her gauntlet.

"Not sure I want to open this stuff. Gods know what this is. Doesn't feel like gold or jewels, that's for sure. I'm taking this back to be looked over. In the meantime, I'm gonna get a look at that body."

She took a look out the door a moment to check Owain's story for a moment. If the bowman was on top of the roof, how easy would that have been to spot in broad daylight?

"On the roof... that 'ad to be a fuckin' ballista unless he was rushing inta this building with a purpose... and then getting shot on the run. Needless ta say if this is bad junk, why would he run to a public area?"

He looked at Claire and her "associates".

"If you all could stick around just a little longer, I need ta check the body. After a few more questions, you'll be free to go."

With that, she went to check on the body in back and recall as much detailed information as possible. Something wasn't adding up right.
Last edited by Bernice Potts on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

Claire could follow that train of thought and she didn't like where it was heading. Best to establish one's innocence and establish it early. "Ain't nothin' else I can tell ye ma'am. He wouldn'tve been wunnin' to see us if that's what you're implyin'. I landed in Dort less than a mark ago and these two -" she gestured at Kade and Gowan - "were only just sent over by the temple. The portal keeper can back my words."

Should be enough to get us off the hook. Beckoning to Kade to follow her, the Dortswoman returned to the table where Gowan waited, speculating about the suspects herself. If the watchwoman was right, then Claire's money was on the red-haired man with the Mouthie accent being the dead adhiel's contact. For someone who claimed to be checking what was inside it, he'd been rather cagey about opening the pouch in front of other people, implying that he knew what was inside.

On the other hand...

The bouncer was telling porky pies. Claire was sure of it. Firstly, there was the observation Bernice had made - Claire was no stranger to the rooftops of the city herself and it was a damn fool who would walk them in the clear light of the day. In a black cloak, no less. Secondly, the timing was all wrong. If you were going to kill a man in a public place and run, you didn't stick around for witnesses to argue over the corpse before you took off. Thirdly... the security had been awfully quick to move the body, hadn't he? And the lame excuse he had given... upsetting the customers indeed! Most customers would be more reassured by the idea that the authorities were on their way than by the removal of a corpse from their sight. Plus, body in the building or not, business in the taproom would be shot to the nether until the owners had the glass repaired. Claire had run a similar business before - in the same situation as the proprietors, she would have called for the watch immediately (even if they were likely to be on their way already) and made sure that nobody touched anything until they arrived.

Had she been totally innocent.

Claire smelled a cover-up. Possibly a set-up (if the Mouthie had no part in it). And they were both being poorly executed at that. If she had figured this out it was only a matter of time before the guard did. So while the broken-nosed woman was being distracted by the evidence, the former career criminal moved to take advantage of the mess.

"Boys, stay here and keep an eye on things will yeh?" she said to the Ssin'Klairs. "If I leave and anyone asks, I've gone to the little ladies' woom."

Then she headed to the bar where Owain was whispering with the innkeep and interrupted them, propping herself up on the counter.

"Sir, I'm thinkin' ye've got a pwoblem," she said to him in a low voice. "Yeh moved that dead man out too fast. In a few burns that guard's goin' to come stormin' back in suspectin' you or someone you care about in this inn's got somethin' to hide." Her hazel eyes gazed levelly at the bouncer.

"Now if she questions me again, I can only tell her what I think. But we both wouldn't want to give her the wrong impwession now, would we? So help me help you here. I'd need some information. We can go somewhere quieter to talk it over if yeh like."
Last edited by Claire Owens on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"The heart wants not coffee nor coffee houses. The heart wants a friend. Coffee is only an excuse." - Old Turkish saying[/b]

Avatar by crystaldragon at allavatars.com[/size]
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

A rueful smile crossed Guido’s face as the guard took the pouch. “If you need any assistance in your investigation, I shall be happy to help.” The archaeologist focused on portraying a soothing tone in his voice, making his arguments appear reasonable and calming. He had used this technique with some success when he had reassured the soldiers under attack during the battle with the cryers. This time he focused his attention on the sassy guard, holding her eyes with his own, keeping the timbre of his voice low, slow and smooth.

“I am an employee of the Lycaeum; you may have heard of it. It is an institute of great learning. It may be that I can assist you in identifying whatever you find in the package. It might be sensible to open it here in case there are any here who can help you. I am sure that your superior would want you to explore every avenue.”

Guiido sat back in his chair once Bernice had departed to investigate the body. He leant close to the barmaid who was sitting at his table. “A strange murder don’t you think? Have you any thoughts on what might have happened.” He glanced over to the achadhiel woman who was now intent on questioning the bouncer. What’s her game, trying to get me in trouble? Trying to save her skin? On the look out for some profit from this? Conspiring with the guard? Surely not: they didn’t appear to know each other – and yet the guard arrived very conveniently.
Porcelina
Civus

Post by Porcelina »

ooc: My apologies on keeping you fine folks waiting.

If Bernice would venture outside and into the alleyway, there would be a shadowy pile leaning up against the wall of the Drunken Duck. The adhiel's body was covered respectfully with that of Owain’s brown cloak, as a thin stream of blood started to pool beneath the corpse. Aside from the crumpled body, nothing else seemed to be out of the ordinary. Not even the passerbys seemed to notice the hidden body in the alleyway. All the attention was focus on the broken doorway of the Drunken Duck.

Kade and Gowan nodded their blindingly blonde heads and retook their seats at the table they had shared with Claire. The two brothers immediately started whispering to each other. They too hadn’t the slightest idea who killed the adhiel man. The only clue was that black pouch which was now in Bernice’s hands.

Owain turned a careful eye to Claire as she started to speak in a low voice. Immediately, the bartender walked away and started to wipe off the opposite end of the bar, still within earshot of the two. Scratching his chin, Owain thought the woman’s words over carefully and looked back towards the entrance.

“Ma’am, I am not trying to cover up anything,” he replied in a gruff whisper as he returned her gaze, “However, you seem to suspect me and this establishment. So I really have no choice but to give you my time. Follow me.”

Coming to a stand, Owain started off towards the hallway and up the stairs to the second floor. He didn’t seem at all concerned if Claire was following him or not.

“It is a strange murder,” Syndi replied to Guido, propping an elbow onto the table, “What is even more strange is that this man was killed moments after you entered this establishment. While I may have no idea what is going on here, I wonder if you may have noticed something upon your arrival. Anything out of the ordinary?”

While she waited for Guido’s reply, Syndi glanced over to the bartender and back to Guido, flashing him a rather curious smile.
Last edited by Porcelina on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Adhiel... that was the main thing she needed to know, but she took a look at the bolt which shot him and where it shot him, trying to determine how powerful the crossbow that shot it was. The angle it was in was also important, as her tips on sleuthing from her training stated.

How well dressed was this bugger? Was he a darkie or just some messenger? Maybe there was a letter or personal items which could link his identity.
Guido Cercatoro

Guido mulled over Syndi’s words. The fellow did suddenly appear a few flickers after I had entered; it could be a coincidence, or maybe...merda, I wish I had had time to look in the pouch before the guard arrived but I can’t afford to get in trouble with the authorities here, not until I find out what my mission is…

“I’m afraid I didn’t noticed much untoward apart from the achadhiel woman and her two….er.” He searched for the appropriate word. “Bodyguards. Do you know anything of them?”

“I was due to meet someone here,” continued the archaeologist. “Has anyone been asking about my arrival here? Possibly last eventide or this morning?”

“We need to get the guard to allow us to look in the pouch. After all it might be something of concern to me or the tavern so we both have an interest in this. I will try to persuade her when she returns from the alleyway. If you can be of any help, I would be most grateful.” He beamed a smile at the barmaid, reaching out to lightly touch her hand for a flicker.
Porcelina
Civus

Post by Porcelina »

As Bernice looked over the adhiel’s body, it started to draw some attention from the streets that wasn’t there before in that direction. Whispers and murmurs started to grow ever so loudly behind the woman as a small group of about five people gathered at the edge of the alleyway.

“I thought I heard something,” an elderly adhiel woman whispered loudly to a younger adhiel man standing next to her whose eyes were filled with scorn.

As for the body, the man was dressed in a dirty grey tunic, and brown trousers. From a mere glance, one would have thought the man rolled around in dirt all day for a living. The arrowhead stuck out through the man’s chest as the remainder of the wooden arrow protruded from the middle left of his back.

Syndi thought about Guido’s question. She didn’t work the eveningtide shift, so she wouldn’t have known if anyone came about questioning for any of the Duck’s patrons. Shifting slightly in her seat, she brushed a stray piece of hair out of her face and gazed into the Ssin’Klair twins’ direction, shaking her head, “I know nothing about those men.”

Clearing her throat, Syndi leaned in towards Guido and whispered, “As far as I know, no one has come in questioning for anyone, except for that achadhiel woman. She was expecting the company of those two men. It was nothing out of the ordinary, but I admit there is something off about those two.”

“I should have said something about this before, but I was frightened,” she continued is a hushed tone, “but the man Owain took out into the alleyway, he…he…was leaning against the wall of the Duck this morningtide upon my arrival for my shift. It looked to me that he was waiting for someone, but he never came inside.”

Leaning back in her chair, the young barmaid now had the pale complexion of a ghost, "I hope that wasn't the person you believe should have been asking for you."
Last edited by Porcelina on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

Claire rolled her eyes. “Oh for the love o’ the Lady. If I thought he actually was guilty why would I be talkin’ to him about it?” she complained, just loudly enough for the barkeep to hear. “Excuse me sir,” she addressed the portly man more directly. “I need to clear up this misunderstanding with your man. Could you please bwing a dwink to my two associates and let them know I’ll be upstairs? Thank you.” She slipped the payment onto the bar before casually joining Owain on the second floor.
[size=75][b]"The heart wants not coffee nor coffee houses. The heart wants a friend. Coffee is only an excuse." - Old Turkish saying[/b]

Guido Cercatoro

“So the fellow was here earlier waiting for someone,” murmured the archaeologist in response to Syndi’s revelation. Well that does it! I’m going to have to investigate further.

“Thank you for your help,” said Guido to the young barmaid, giving her hand another playful squeeze. He stretched one hand into a pocket and deposited a few coins on the table. “Buy yourself a drink, or whatever you fancy. I must venture into the alley to see what the esteemed investigator has discovered.”

Guido rose from the table and went directly to the alleyway. A crowd had gathered and he contented himself with watching Bernice’s investigation after giving her a brief nod of acknowledgement. However, he frowned as for the first time he noticed that dirty state of the man’s clothes. Terrible personal hygiene or perhaps a result of digging around somewhere….Guido peered at the dead body, trying to get a glance at the corpse’s fingernails. One thing he knew for certain; most archaeologists had dirty fingernails.
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"Hmmm... where tha 'ell did you work, poor bastard?"

She could already tell that the arrow itself couldn't have pushed him through the door... no, he was running inside, meaning he knew he was going into the bar. Which also meant he knew his time might be up. But where the hell was the blood on impact? No way could a shot like this not leave blood on impact with all that glass.

Bernice looked up at the crowd and stood up.

"Anyone recognize this poor bloke?"

She turned to Guido... even more suspiciously than before, looking at him as if she was posing the question to him as well.
Porcelina
Civus

Post by Porcelina »

The barkeep nodded his head at Claire’s request, watching her disappear from sight. Along her way up to the second floor, Claire passed many open doorways, except for one that was closed. If she would listen closely, there was an odd clanking sound that came from within, followed by frustrated curses. Owain stood outside of a dimly lit room at the end of the hall, watching Claire make her way towards him.

“In here, and you don’t have to worry about closing that door. I assure you that we have privacy,” he said now walking into a vacant, musty smelling bedroom, “Now, what can I do ya for?”

As Guido made his way outside, the crowd was reluctant to let the tall man through at first. Many murmured as he passed, giving him looks up and down. One man even cursed at him as he passed. As Guido looked at the dead adhiel’s fingernails, he would now see the dirt and grime that collected beneath them, as well as many scratches on his hands.

As Bernice asked if anyone knew the man, an eerie silence fell upon the crowd. After a few flickers, Sydni , the barmaid, made her way outside, her face a ghostly shade of white, “Excuse me,” she said, looking at Bernice, “but if I may have a moment of your time, I think you may be interested in hearing what I have to say.”

"I think he," Syndi replied looking at Guido, "May need to come as well."
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Bernice took a gander at the man's hands as Guido seemed to take interest in it. Looking at the crowd, she eyed them all with a stern look as she returned the man's dignity with his cloth.

"Run along, then! I got me a murder case ta finish!"

Her anger was starting to go to a simmer, but she was still hot. Grabbing Guido by the arm, she followed the barmaid back inside as a snarl started to appear on her face.

"Listen, man. You picked up evidence as it is... do not try and test me. If you think you have a lead, spill it."
Guido Cercatoro

Guido directed a slightly reproachful look at Syndi as she indicated that Bernice might like to talk to him. First the achadhiel woman and now the barmaid…why do they all have such loose tongues…perhaps I should have stayed in the Lycaeum…leafing through old books has its attractions..

Fortunately Guido was not one to be perturbed by the arm grab and snarl of the guard. Indeed, he found it somewhat exhilarating, invoking feelings similar to those he had experienced during the mad flight from the cryers, carrying the limp body of the comatose scientist.

He spoke in a clear, friendly and precise tone to the guard, deciding that honesty was the best policy. “It is quite simple from my point of view. I am an archaeologist on a scientific assignment from the Lycaeum in World’s Mouth. I was due to meet someone here who would brief me on the details. The poor fellow who is now dead arrived at much the same time as I was expecting my contact and so I felt that I must investigate whether he might possibly be my contact. This lady..” Guido directed a warm smile to Syndi, “..has informed me that she saw the dead man hanging around earlier. I was merely coming to report this to you, to assist you in your investigation. That is all I know, I’m afraid, but you can see why I have a legitimate interest in the matter.”
Porcelina
Civus

Post by Porcelina »

As Guido finished giving his explanation to Bernice, Syndi stood there watching the two. An uneasy expression in her stares as she bit her lip nervously. With a long drawn out sigh, the young woman leaned in for a whisper while keeping her eye on their surroundings, wary of eavesdroppers.

“It is my belief that this man may have some sort of a connection with the deceased,” she began in a shaky voice, “That bag you have there may be what this man was intended to find. Would it be a bad idea to open that bag now? It could only help is the way that I see it.”
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

" 'ere's the thing, I don't know if this is drugs, or even poison to do the guy in. If the crap in this bag 'appens ta be somethin' ugly, don't want nobody gettin' hurt either. If it's somethin' valuable, then I might as well scream ta tha Underworld that 'this guard has something we were after, kill her'. I'm protectin' you all. If this poor bastard could have been killed for an item, you all won't be bothered."

The information on the drugs around town causing the rioting was classified. If this was the stuff, the entire bar could go up and riot and it would be her fault.
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

Claire followed Owain into the empty room without hesitation. She stood between the doorway and the bouncer.

"Well, for a start, I must apologise for my wudeness and ask you to forgive me, sir," she said with a rueful expression. "I don't intend to cast aspersions on your chawacter, but have some questions for you that I didn't wish my... associates downstairs to overhear. Or even suspect."

She glanced around her into the hallway, as though one of them might appear from behind at any moment.

"See, you mentioned there was a person in a black cloak on the woof just now. And I couldn't help but notice that they also wore black cloaks," she continued. "Wather unusual ones. They don't look or move like cloth, or any matewial I've ever seen before. Do you have any idea what it is? And did you notice the same stwangeness about the cloak of your man in black?"

She asked the question mainly to deflect the hostility of the man she was speaking to. It didn't entirely matter whether he spoke the truth or not - though if his answer was yes and his answer was real, it would be useful intel. While Owain replied she searched his face for any sign of a lie - averted eyes, or unusually focused ones. Strangely blank or greatly exaggerated expressions. Garbled speech, hesitation, defensiveness or any signs of discomfort.

Guido Cercatoro

“I think that you are wise to be cautious,” admitted Guido to Bernice. “Perhaps we should find a private room in which to examine this object. I am sure that the delightful barmaid here could find us somewhere to go in this fine establishment. If I can help then you will benefit from my information and expertise and, if not, well you can pursue other lines of inquiry.”
Porcelina
Civus

Post by Porcelina »

Owain nodded his head at Claire’s apology as he took a seat at a dusty desk on the far side of the room. Scratching his head, he tried to recollect anything odd about the figure upon the rooftop, particularly the cloak Claire seemed to take an interest in. Sighing, he looked at the achadhiel woman and answered, “The material used for cloaks such as the ones your two friends wear belong to a reptile of some sort. I have seen many of their kind wearing strange garments such as those.”

“As far as this mysterious being upon the rooftop earlier,” Owain continued, giving Claire a weak smile, “the cloak this person wore was a bit stiff. To tell you the truth, it wouldn’t surprise me if it were one of your friends’ kin folk.”

“Now my question for you,” the burly bouncer said in a low voice, looking past the young woman briefly and then turning his attention back to her, “Why are you associating yourself with those two men downstairs? The three of you make an unlikely trio.”

“I understand the need to keep things in order,” Syndi replied looking at Bernice and then to Guido, “I would never ask for the contents to be shown out in the open. There is a more private room down to hall. I could take the two of you there if you wish?”
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Bernice hesitated... she didn't know how to handle the stuff if it was poison or worse. Looking over to the snoopy man, he didn't trust him one lick. After thinking things over, though, it was a good idea for her to know what it was.

"If its somethin' ugly like poison powder er somethin' does it 'ave a closed door? That way if anyone does get sick, it's only in the room and it's just me... and the sir if he wants to look over me shoulder."

She hoped that would scare him off from rubbernecking so hard, looking dead in his eye if he wanted to take that risk.
Guido Cercatoro

Guido breathed an inner sigh of relief. It appeared as if the guard was willing to examine the pouch in the private room. Still her warning about poison was well taken - after all, the historian had no idea what lay within the pouch. He remained quiet, waiting for the barmaid's relpy. He would accompany the other two to the room whenever Syndi led them there.
Adanedhel
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Adanedhel »

Syndi motioned for Bernice to follow her, giving Guido an inquisitive look to see if he would join them. She made way down the hall behind the bar. The voice of the bouncer could be heard coming from a room, conversating with a woman, clanking sounds from another. A few doors further down, Syndi unlocked the door and opened it. Inside were empty barrels, by the smell of it they had contained ale.

When all who came were inside, she lighted an oil lamp to provide the light, exiting the room after them, waiting just outside. "Just knock twice if you want out. If things go wrong and you have a chance, bounce on the door like a raving madman." she offered and chuckled, trying to shrug things off with a laugh.

OOC: sorry for the late and maybe uninspired tie over, but I need to go over the plotnotes once again to see what Porcelina's plans with you are. Thank you for being considerate.
Something wicked your way comes...

Posting rate: 2/week

Special:
[b]OOECP[/b] - [i]Grant[/i]ed by Maeve & Sosa
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: good to have you on board)

Guido dutifully followed Syndi to the back room, noting the pungent smell of ale as he entered. He perched himself on top of suitable barrel and, once Syndi had left, waited silently for the guardswoman to open the package. Now is there something for me in this package, I wonder, or was this deceased fellow’s arrival mere coincidence…
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Bernice looked at Guido as he continued to rubberneck her, giving him a look with narrowed eyes and shook her head as her gaze returned to the bag as she started unlacing it.

"Didn't yer mum ever tell you it's rude ta' rubberneck? If there's some ugly shit in this, don't you blame me one bit. At this point, I almost hope it is, yer such a dumbass."

She mentally kept note that her daggers were in her gauntlets and where Guido's position was in conjunction with her.

"If yer gonna rubberneck, rubber to the side and not behind me. Last thing I need is you stabbing me in the gullet tryin' ta steal this."

She waited for him to do so before opening.

Return to “Triangle Islands”