DK- Here There Be Dragons! - Jygust 30th MT

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

DK- Here There Be Dragons! - Jygust 30th MT

Post by Vanadius »

The morning of the Solstice had finally arrived. The entire Keep had been preparing for this day for months and there was a eerie silence that reigned all Dragonskeep, as if the entire castle was holding it's collective breath.

In the violet sky of pre-dawn, many people had gathered and were milling about in the causeway. Some were there to see the Knights off, some were there just to see the spectacle of it, and some were there to do their last bit of work needed before they could finally rest. Midge, was just one of the latter, and had the Knight's mounts at the ready, and assisted any who needed help with a stray buckle or strap.

Bishop Thures called for attention, and although few words were being spoken, the activity dwindled down, leaving the causeway full of mute statues as he spoke.

"Please bow your heads and pray with me."

Thures lowered his own head and closed his eyes.

"Great Lord Dominicus, we beseech thee for safety and success of these brave souls. We pray from Your Book of Ustus for everyone who is setting themselves upon this journey. We ask that Your Divine Hand to intercede upon their behalf- for we are faithful and have borne witness to Your wonders. We ask Your protection as they walk through the marshes of evil, and bring safety and security to the people of this region. May they be blessed by You, and may You watch over them, and keep them in the palm of Your hand. Amen."

Although many of the Knights and inhabitants of the Keep kept to different Gods, they acquiesced to the Bishop's prayer anyway, hoping for any blessing that might help protect them from harm. Those in the causeway began to move about once more, as the Knights began to say goodbye to their tearful loved ones, and mount their horses.

At long last, Marshall Lockwood signaled for the gates to be opened. Denbar blew his great horn, the shrill call echoed deep into morning sky around them. The mighty chains began to rattle and pull, and the gates of the Keep swung open. The annual summer dragon hunt was finally underway.
Last edited by Vanadius on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Asenath Bahan
Civus

Post by Asenath Bahan »

Asenath had been getting one of the best rests that she had ever had, when the noise began. Tossing and turning, Asenath tried her best to remain asleep, but it didn't happen. Grumbling, she climbed out of her bed and dragged herself to the window so that she could see what was going on. It took a few moments of staring before Asenath could process the scene that was taking place before her. She shook her head, and got dressed, ready to join the mob below. She had never seen anything quite like it.

Asenath milled about, listening to people talk excitedly about the Knights and their annual dragon hunt. She had heard so many conflicting stories about this hunt, from people here and people back home, that she didn't know what to believe. Asenath's interest had been sufficiently piqued that her normal shyness around people began to melt away. She decided to find the most official looking person that she could, so that she could ask some questions and get the conflicting stories resolved.

After a few minutes of searching and pushing her way through the crowd, Asenath finally found a likely candidate. She stepped up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder. "Kal'essen, Sir. I was wondering if you would be able to answer some of my questions about the dragon hunt."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Jome Amah had been the Seneschal of the Keep for many yahren, and had served the Drakedoder family honorably and ably for a long time. He was proud of his long tenure and service to his liege lord, and would be happy and loyal to the count until the end of his days.

It was this morning, his twenty third summer solstice as Seneschal, where he stood off and out of the way to watch the proceedings. He had always hated this day. Many of the Knights never returned from these expeditions, and he was always saddened by their loss. More young and vibrant lives snuffed out by the wrath and power of those they hunted. He mourned them silently on this morning, smoking his long pipe with his hands folded behind his back.

His respectful vigilance was interrupted by a tap on the shoulder. He turned to look and was met by the shy countenance of a young desert dweller that he had not been introduced to yet.

"Good morningtide to you. What is it you wish to know?"
Phuong Quang Huu
Civus

Post by Phuong Quang Huu »

Some occasions call for detachment from the world so that the situation can be judged dispassionately and without bias. Other occasions benefit from diving headlong into your emotions so that one might bring the full force of your soul into the conflict. Watching the preparations for the Dragon Hunt, Huu could not decide which was called for.

Huu was dressed in the style of these Westerners but no amount of clothing could disguise his Eastern Empire features. He too stood off to the side watching and when the young desert dweller questioned the Seneschal, Huu decided to join the conversation. His language was heavily accented but understandable.

"My pardon for joining your conversation uninvited and without introduction but I too wish to know more of this Hunt." Huu placed his right fist into his left palm and bowed to them both. "I am Phuong Quang Huu. You may call me Huu." Weeks of traveling had taught him that these barbarians were so ignorant that they did not even know where the given name should be. It was easier to tell them upfront. "What is the origin of this traditional Hunt? How did it start?" When did you first stray from the path of righteousness?
[size=84]Polish the twofold spirit heart and mind, and sharpen the twofold gaze perception and sight. When your spirit is not in the least clouded, when the clouds of bewilderment clear away, there is the true void. -- Miyamoto Musashi[/size]
Malakhai Qinua
Civus

Post by Malakhai Qinua »

It was the Summer Solstice, and Malakhai thought he looked damned good.

His normally bouffant hair had been let down to allow a gleaming pot helmet to be placed upon his head, with the dark locks falling in waves beneath it, almost to his neck. As usual, his face was clean-shaven. His torso was sheathed in a tight-bound, dusty brown jazeraint coat; although second or third hand like all his gear, it was a perfect fit for his broad, muscular build. Padded armour clothed his arms and legs, with his hands and feet also covered by scale gauntlets and solid boots. Being a Knight was sweaty work in the summer, especially as the day drew on, but Malakhai was no stranger to high temperatures and had spent the last few months training in armour to prepare himself for this day.

As the Bishop laid his blessing on the assembled knights, he whispered soft words into his mount's ear to calm it. Dominicus was nothing more than a powerful spirit to the tribesman, who had a poor grasp of theology, but like the other hunters he was too much of a pragmatist to turn down an offer of divine aid. The horse answered to the name Oren, and was a fine old steed with a dark chestnut coat. Although not terribly strong or fast, it had seen some conflict, and hopefully its sturdy phlegmatic nature would help to counterbalance Malakhai himself, who was comparatively headstrong.

When the horn was sounded he squeezed with his knees to encourage the steed into movement. As he jockeyed for position amid the exodus, he came alongside Amah, the Seneschal, who had been engaged in conversation by two interesting figures. One was a small man whose origin Malakhai could not identify. The other seemed to be of the Black Tribe of his own People, and happened to be a young woman, which for Mal always made everything that bit more interesting.

Reining in his horse briefly, he slowed to hear what the three had to say.
Last edited by Malakhai Qinua on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"When the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" - Hamlet[/i]
Avatar is "sandman" by yifatshaik, from allavatars.com
H`saan Alai
Civus

Post by H`saan Alai »

H’saan had been amongst the first to rise on the morning of the hunt. Unlike most of the Knights he had to attend to more than his own armour and weapons. In addition to his supply of javelins, a broadsword and a slingshot he would be taking with him an assortment of herbs, bandages, needles, silk thread, a couple of pots and various surgical tools. If the conditions permitted it, the healer hoped to set up a basic field hospital out in the wilderness of the Northern Territories of Dragonskeep, the usual hunting ground of the Dragon Knights. In addition to creating a sheltered place for wounded men to rest until they could be moved to the nearest farm or village, a field hospital would give H’saan an extra edge in his ability to save lives – fire. A heated iron was often the fastest way to staunch bleeding from a deep puncture or a large gash, injuries which he hoped not to see too many of. Fortunately, most of the soldiers would be well armoured against them.

With his healers’ kit bundled into a large swag, H’saan made his way to the causeway where above the heads of the gathered crowd, he immediately spotted Laetitia. He’d first encountered her earlier that week in the nomad tribe camped on the shores of Lake Draz-Olgraith, outside of Dragonskeep. She was a good girl who would not spook around horses and embarrass him with her misbehaviour and for that, H'saan was profoundly grateful. He would feel foolish enough, swaying awkwardly around on the humped and ungainly animal while the rest of the hunting party was mounted on their sleek, graceful steeds. But the horses simply weren't built to handle four hundred and twenty pounds of half giant in plate armour. So it was either ride the camel or walk.

Still, he wished that they'd had a little more time to get to know each other. “Koosh!” he exclaimed hopefully. To his pleasure and relief, Laetitia knelt down as she had been trained to do on this command. “Good girl,” the healer praised, stroking her soft, warm nose before rewarding her with a piece of carrot he had tucked into his pocket. She plucked it delicately from his hand with her hairy, prehensile lips, crunching away while he tied his swag to her saddle. “Ah my desert rose, you are as clever as you are sweet. Now I am climbing on so remember,” he continued to murmur as he lifted a leg over the camel’s saddle, “you must not rise until I say up – hurk!”

Twenty burns later, when his eyes had stopped watering and the pain had subsided to an acceptable level, H’saan found himself clinging on tightly to the saddle frame, somehow having managed to stay mounted. He’d also managed to miss most of Bishop Thures prayer (which didn’t bother him in the slightest, not being a religious man). Gingerly, he slotted his feet into the stirrups and with a “hut-hut” and a few clicks, began to get the camel walking. Doing his best to remember everything he had been told about riding Laetitia, he kept the pressure on the reins light, tugging slightly only in the directions he wished to guide her in.

From his vantage point his eyes sought out the jezeraint-armoured form of Malakhai Quinua. Knowing the significance of this day for the nomad-dragonknight, he wondered how he was faring. The half-giant soon spotted him with Oren on the edge of the throng of mounted men. Carefully, he began nudging Laetitia towards them.
Last edited by H`saan Alai on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]Seriously baby, I can prescribe anything I want - Dr Nick Riviera, The Simpsons[/b]

Avatar by Mockery at allavatars.com[/size]
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The Seneschal had been so focused on Asenath, that when Huu approached and asked him a question, he startled and dropped the pipe from his teeth. He gave the pipe on the ground a hurt, disapproving look, and bent over to pick it up. He tapped it out on the soul of his boot, and spoke to the pair as he reached into a pouch at his belt, and began to pack it anew. Despite losing his smoke, he was still light hearted enough about it, and not angry with Huu in any way.

"Good morningtide to you Huu. The origin of the hunt goes back many yahren to the beginning days of the keep itself. Dragonkeep was founded by Joris Drakedoder the First, with his sword Dragonslayer, who hunted and destroyed a clutch of evil dragons. For his heroism, he was raised to Count by one of the earliest kings of the western kingdom, in exchange for keeping the peace in the border area. For many yahren, the people of this region were subject to raids and fiery destruction from the great fiery drakes, so Joris organized an annual hunt to keep the people safe, and keep the Wyrms of the desert at bay."

"For five generations now, the Knights of Dragonskeep have gone out every yahren to hunt the dragon. Nearly fifty of the great drakes have been killed in that time, but the most of those were in the first few yahren of the hunt. The last was three yahren ago. Seventy seven Knights rode out from the keep on this exact day, and only twenty nine returned. The dragon was a great black beast, and they say his skull is in the catacombs underneath the Keep itself."

Amah tapped his teeth with the stem of his now fully packed and ready pipe.

"But look, here comes the brave Lord Fargreen, Keeper of the Northern Territories. Good morningtide Franza. How are you this day?"

Many inhabitants of the Keep were well familiar with Lord Fargreen. Where as the Warden of the South Reaches, Grael Blacktree was gruff, cold, and somber, Lord Fargreen was his opposite in many ways. The Keeper was outgoing, charismatic and very popular with the locals. Fargreen was broad shouldered and well proportioned, with shoulder length chestnut hair and a thick beard to match. His mount was a roan stallion, and his tack and harness was embossed with the twin falcons on a green field that served as the livery of his house.

"Good morningtide Jome." He said in a jovial, almost too cheerful way. "Did you see that Magliorre decided to join us?"

The Seneschal nodded. "Aye, I heard he was here, but I have not spoken with him yet."

"He's much the same. I'll give him your regards."

Amah chortled. "Please do."

Fargreen began to pull his horse away when his eyes found the armored forms of H'saan and Malakhai.

"What ho men? Let's move out." He gave the pair an expectant look, both full of authority and mirth as he waited for the two to move. Then his eyes flicked over the forms of Asenath and Huu.

"You're not local to the Keep. Care to see what all the fuss is about?"
Phuong Quang Huu
Civus

Huu balled his hands into fists and dug his nails into his hands. It took every bit of control not to lunge at this man proudly extolling the virtues of slaying the oldest and wisest of beings on the Tether. And for what? This blighted lump of rock perched on the desert wastes? The lives of these ignorant backward savages? Huu wished he had never left home and learned the truth of the rumors. "Thank you, honored sir." Huu managed to say and bowed to the Seneschal once more. Never let it be said that Huu failed to be polite even to a savage.

Huu fell silent as Lord Fargreen approached. He cared little for this prattle of men he did not know and did not care to. The lord's invitation caught him off guard. Hospitality and inclusion were not gifts to refuse lightly from nobility. Besides, if Huu was to put an end to this he had to start somewhere.

"You honor me with your invitation, Lord." Huu replied as he bowed to Fargreen. "I would accept for I too seek the dragons of this land but I have no beast to bear me as you do. I would not wish to slow you down." Huu said regretfully. [/i]
[size=84]Polish the twofold spirit heart and mind, and sharpen the twofold gaze perception and sight. When your spirit is not in the least clouded, when the clouds of bewilderment clear away, there is the true void. -- Miyamoto Musashi[/size]
Asenath Bahan
Civus

Post by Asenath Bahan »

Asenath was just about to ask her questions when someone decided to join in on the conversation. The beginning of a frown stole its way across her face, only to be replaced by a look of surprise. Here was a man hailing from the very land that she longed to visit. Asenath quickly shut her mouth and let Huu ask his questions. She was content to stand and contemplate the slight change in her current situation. Surely this was some sort of omen. Asenath decided that she would have to try and discuss some things with Huu at a later point in time.

Asenath was interrupted yet again before she got the chance to ask her questions. First, one of the Knights seemed to decide that he wanted to listen in on their conversation. Asenath studied the young man; his face looked very familiar to her, but she did not know why. A second rider, off in the distance, was riding rather quickly towards the group. Asenath had to take a few deep, calming breaths to steady herself. The crowd was getting rather large, and there were too many people crowding around her.

Moving closer to Huu and the Seneschal, Asenath listened as Amah gave a short history of the Dragon Hunt. Amah answered her first question in his explanation, but not her second. "Surely you don't view all dragons as evil, do you," she whispered. "They're very intelligent, and they're magnificent to watch when they're flying." Asenath had only observed two dragons in flight, and both times she had been mesmerized by the sight of the dragons floating across the sky.

Asenath was startled by the invitation to join Lord Fargreen. "I would be honored to join you, Lord Fargreen," she replied, before she could even think about it. She turned to Huu and murmered, "Master Huu, I would be most happy if you would come as well. I would like to discuss some things with you, if you would not mind."
Malakhai Qinua
Civus

Post by Malakhai Qinua »

Malakhai listened to the story with some interest. The tales of this Joris had reached his own People too, although different tellings emphasised different aspects of events. The numbers of dead on the last successful hunt impressed him, too. Maths wasn't Mal's strong point, but he knew enough to know that seventy-seven minus twenty-nine equalled lots. Of course it didn't occur to him that he himself might suffer the same fate, and might not be among the survivors. It wasn't the way his mind worked.

He raised a hand to H'saan in greeting, but his attention was still on the two with the Seneschal. Fargreen's instruction distracted him, and he prodded the horse's flanks gently with his heels to get it moving again. An idea for something chivalrous to do suddenly came to him, and he wheeled Oren round in front of the Keeper of the Northern Territories and his guests Asenath and Huu. "Sir, this one has space upon his steed for another," he announced, shifting in his saddle, "if that is what is wished." His eyes flickered between the two non-locals. He hoped that it'd be the girl who'd end up riding with him, for obvious reasons. Either promised to be interesting, though, and he was ready to move out in either case or neither.
Phuong Quang Huu
Civus

Huu was surprised when Asenath expressed interest in him. "Please, it is just Huu. I have not yet achieved the rank of Master." He admitted. "Very well, I shall accompany you."

He nodded to Malakhai. "Generously offered, sir." Huu turned to Asenath. "If there is only only one place, then it should be yours. If there is another, I cede to you the honor of choosing first."
H`saan Alai
Civus

Post by H`saan Alai »

"Allow me to offer another," came a voice from up above them.

"The ride may not be so smooth but perhaps, the view will be better? And Laetitia is very well mannered, allow me to show you..."

For the second time that morning H'saan kooshed his camel, this time pulling back on the reins to keep her head upright while giving her the order to kneel.
[size=75][b]Seriously baby, I can prescribe anything I want - Dr Nick Riviera, The Simpsons[/b]

Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Fargreen watched as a couple of the Knights in training chivalrously offered rides to those without. These were big men, not of the Keep themselves, but whatever their upbringing, they fit in with the personality of the order with their gallant proposals.

Fitting in fine I see. I shall let Nathan know his recruits are courteous as well...

"Well then, that settles it. Two more for the Hunt."

He swung his horse around with a flourish.

"Now let's move out. You don't want that contemptible Denbar spotting the first clutch do you?"

The mirth in his eyes and in his tone suggested he was nothing resembling serious in his remarks towards the hardy Denbar.

~~~

The long procession snaked its way out through the massive gates and out into the open plains north of the Keep, leaving the thick sandstone walls behind and out into the wilderness.

A column of steel and horseflesh, they were seventy one in all, led by Marshall Lockwood himself, and of course, Lord Fargreen, who was the Keeper of the territories they would be hunting in.

Under Lockwood's watchful eye, they made fast time and progress as they rumbled up the great north road toward Pax Balthasar for a few marks, before turning off onto the remains of an ancient road that was rarely used any longer. It was another mark before the Marshall called for a halt in a small rocky canyon that the locals called "Bloody Basin", so named for the fight that once took place here between a band of renegades, and Captain Dunevain's garrison. The Captain was not with him on this day, he was back at the Keep, but a few of them recalled the fighting, including Denbar and the enigmatic Magliorre, who both remembered the bandits as being ferocious and fierce, and the fighting exceptionally brutal.

Lockwood was lost in conversation with Fargreen, as the two poured over maps spread out over a rock, leaving Denbar to check on the men's status. He walked with an easy grace among the entire group, assisting here and there, answering questions and pointing out good spots to water the horses.

It was dry and hot, and the sun shone down mercilessly from above. Denbar finally came around to ask them how they were doing, his near everpresent smile beaming despite the heat.

"Everyone doing well? Anything we can do for you?"
Asenath Bahan
Civus

Post by Asenath Bahan »

Asenath was not disappointed that her questions were not answered. She would simply find another, more appropriate, time to ask them. After turning around to face the owner of the voice behind her, Asenath found herself face to face with a camel. She made a quick decision to take H`saan up on his offer. "It has been quite a long time since I've had the chance to ride on a camel. I will ride with you for the time being, if that is ok. Huu, I look forward to talking to you later," she said, with a shy smile. After a few awkward moments, Asenath was up on the camel, and the group was on its way.

Asenath was silent for a good part of the procession. She wasn't sure when she would be able to witness such an event again, so she tried to take as much in as she could. She figured that there would be enough time for talking once they stopped for the day.

Once the group stopped and everyone dismounted, she finally spoke to H`saan. "Thank you for letting me ride with you. Your camel is very well behaved, unlike most of the ones that I've seen. I'm Asenath," she said, smiling up at him.
Phuong Quang Huu
Civus

"Not unless you have power over the sun, lord." Huu answered matter-of-factly. Also, you could off this damnable hunt and go home, he thought bitterly. Despite his comment, Huu seemed little affected by the heat though he felt sure his legs and backside would be aching later after marks on that beast. He had spent much of time in meditation or in trying to reach a state of meditation so as to transcend his physical discomforts. It was said that the masters could maintain their trance states even in the thick of battle. Huu still had much to learn.

Huu returned his attention to the one he rode with. "How fare you, Malakhai?" Huu asked. "I do hope I was no burden to either you or your beast."
Malakhai Qinua
Civus

Post by Malakhai Qinua »

"No burden, no," Malakhai assured Huu, perhaps a little disingenuously. In truth, Malakhai with his passenger had had a hard time keeping up with the main column of riders. Mal was no expert horseman at the best of times, and carrying a second rider was not something he was used to. Fortunately, Oren had borne the extra weight stolidly, and they had made it to the first stopping point without incident. Malakhai, like most of the People of the Sands, was simply pragmatic about such things.

It rankled a bit that the girl had chosen to ride with H'saan, though. Mooching camels.

"Dreshi!" he hailed Denbar as the red-headed knight approached. "If it is not too much trouble, this one would like a refreshing ice cold glass of Cliff White wine." His angular face split into a grin, showing the yellowing of his teeth as he took the reins of Oren in a leisurely fashion and led the horse toward the nearest watering hole.
H`saan Alai
Civus

Post by H`saan Alai »

"More than okay, d'war. This one is honoured that you would favour his lowly mount." H'saan flashed his most charming smile at Asenath, pleasantly surprised by her decision. He had been half-expecting that she would wish to ride with Malakahai - a man of her own race and one who cut quite a dashing figure in his armour at that.

Still he was not one to question his good fortune. The occasional tavern wench aside, the tall man had been sorely lacking in female companionship and conversation since he had arrived in Dragonskeep. So it was no surprise that he was a little more attentive than usual, giving the lady every assistance required to board the camel, as chivalrous as any knight.

Asenath's quiet ways quickly intrigued the half giant. Her apparent shyness belied the boldness with which she accepted Fargreen's offer to join the hunt. "Are you comfortable, anddi-sus?" he asked her as they lurched through the gates of the keep on Laetitia's back, trying to make conversation that might put her at ease. "Let me know if you are not. I must apologise for the roughness of the journey - I am unused riding." Pause. "Ironic, for if I had grown up in the lands of my father's people I would have been taught from my youngling days how to ride a raptor... do you know what they are?" Pause. "Great, fierce hunting lizards that run across the sands on their two hind legs. Many thousands of yahren ago they used to roam the wilds of the Great Desert in deadly packs. I have never seen one myself but someday..." and in this manner he rambled on through the earlier part of the trip. Later when he ran out of things to say to her he simply joked around with some of the other men nearby, then attempted a little background music, bawling out an amateur rendition of a rousing song popular in the Keep at the time.

The day when the sun turns into black
I leave behind my land
For I have a mission sent from God
So I set out alone, not knowing right from wrong
To fight the evil one, my heart is made out of stone

Magus gazes through the crystal ball
You're the chosen one
As dark clouds shade the silver light
Evil daemons whisper in the night
You will surely die!
But I have no fear, my faith is strong

I saw my king stabbed by the beast
Straight through his heart, poisoned his blood
Living in fear, the only way, the only cure
To save our lord is to take my sword
Cross through the land and kill the beast!

Something soars through the sky
It's the dra-gon-fly!
So I run like the wind
This battle I have to win

We were chasing the the dragon
We were searching everywhere
In the chase of the dragon
Let the One lead us there
In the chase of the dragon
I sacrifice my blood, in the chase -
what? My camel sings more sweetly than I? Savages, you do not understand my art..."

Although he didn't mind joking around for her amusement, H'saan was rather glad when they reached their destination and Asenath finally spoke up. "I am H'saan. Ashi-darri Asenath," he replied with a wink. "This one only hopes that he did not offend your ear or your rear with his prattling and prancing... ah, there is Mister Huu!' he exclaimed, easily spotting the stout civilian Easterner nearby amongst the armour-clad knights. "Now my heart breaks to part before we have even come to know each other... but I believe you wished to speak with him?"

H'saan himself had someone he wanted to speak to. Hearing Denbar's voice and Malakhai's cheeky retort behind him he whirled around. "Sir Denbar! Yes, all is well however I wish for your advice regarding the location of the field infirmary I proposed. It will require a shelter." He surveyed the terrain. "Perhaps a cave somewhere close to the hunting grounds? If you do not know of one I am happy to search on foot."

*Original song by Dream Evil
Last edited by H`saan Alai on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The Knights found H'saan's song a cheery one, many of them turned in their saddles to watch and listen to the huge half giant's raucous song. When he finished many that rode close to the camel erupted into laughter. Even implacable Marshall Lockwood seemed amused as the corners of his eyes crinkled as he grinned around the stem of his pipe.

"Motley would have loved that song H'saan." A young Knight known as Duncan offered. "He was a little bard that stayed with us at the Keep for a time. He had a powerful voice for a little man, but I don't suppose he could have bellowed like you."

Some of the others smiled and nodded along as they rode until the reached the rough and rocky confines of the small canyon.

Denbar laughed heartily at Malakhia's jest.

"Aye... I'm afraid that might be a wee bit beyond my reach. Would you settle for a skin of water that's been warmed by my horse's ass?"

The bear of man laughed loudly again, slapping another passing Knight on the back as the man went by. H'saan's question brought a quizzical look from the man known as "the Red".

"Aye H'saan. I have to tell you we're not going to the usual hunting grounds this yahren. For the last three seasons, there's been nothing. No eggs. No hatchlings, no dragons at all in the usual spots. This hunt we're going to range a bit further. There will places to set up your healers den along the way. Sir Sterling will help pick a few out with you."

Magliorre, the newcomer to the hunt sat on a rock as his horse drank from the trickling stream.

"In King's Court they speak of Dragons as playthings. There is news of a dragon that attacked a monastery on the island of Dort last yahren. They laugh and snicker into their powdered sleeves that the worst of them could slay the best of dragons in flickers. I invited a few of them to come with me out here to prove it."

He looked around, surveying the canyon and the procession as it rested.

"I see none of them here." He finished facetiously.

Denbar snorted in derision. "Fools and idiots I say."

"Aye." Magliorre quietly replied.

They rested there for another half a mark before Lockwood and Fargreen rolled up their maps. Apparently they had reached some sort of conclusion together. Lockwood signaled for Denbar to mount up, and the Red began to shout and point to get everyone moving again.

They struck out for a large cluster of rocks to the east, picking their way across the rocky ground and dogging the sharp ends of the scrub brush that grew low and abundantly. They reached it more than two marks later, and Lockwood signaled for a few of the Knights to form up near the sprawling corpse of a dead tree. On one side of the mound of stones was the mouth to a cave. It was a narrow place, perhaps as wide as a man's outstretched arms and the direction of the opening fell away and downwards into darkness.

"Classic place for a clutch." Denbar noted aloud.

"This is our first stop." The Red announced. "Any volunteers?"
H`saan Alai
Civus

Post by H`saan Alai »

OOC: have started a side-thread here

Phuong Quang Huu
Civus

Huu thought on this carefully. Were he the scout, Huu could warn any dragonkin within about the knights without and tell the Knights there was nothing to be concerned with here. Yet, could he depend on the drakes to know him as friend? Years of fighting would drive anyone to attack first and divine the truth after. Still, if Huu was not here to take that risk, then why was he here?

Huu stepped forward. "I will investigate if you would honor me so." Huu bowed to the lord and awaited his answer.
Malakhai Qinua
Civus

Post by Malakhai Qinua »

Much to his surprise, Malakhai felt a twinge of trepidation as the cave mouth opened up in front of him. Fighting dragons was what he'd been training for months to do, and yet he was still a human, his jazeraint armour no match for the scale coat of the great beasts, his blade unable to match the bite of their slavering jaws. Further, he was a green recruit compared to most of the seventy-one present. Would it not be better to let one of the more experienced knights lead by example...?

Then Huu stepped forward, and that changed everything. Malakhai immediately felt a flush of anger at his own cowardice. This little man, not a dragon hunter himself as far as Mal knew, had offered himself for the role with less hesitation than most of the seasoned fighters present. The tribesman moved to stand alongside Huu, addressing his fellow knights. "This guarrdi has put us all to shame with his boldness," he reprimanded them, although there was no bitterness in his voice - merely disappointment and a new energy. "If you will permit, dreshi, this one will accompany him." He smiled wolfishly, adding "Is there even one among you men of the West with the courage to join us?" The challenge would surely chafe at the pride of some of the knights present.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

A few others raised their hands to come forward, and Denbar examined them all.

"Very well then. Mister Huu. Mal. Duncan. Willem. And... Magliorre." Denbar said with a glance towards the dark haired man from King's Court.

"Show them how its done Ren, if you would be so kind."

Magliorre simply grunted as he pulled on his gloves, and grasped one of the long spears being born on the wagons behind them. He scratched the side of his nose, leaving a smear of dirt on his face as he waited for the others to arm themselves in a similar fashion.

Once they had all indicated they were ready, Magliorre walked over to the opening cautiously with his spear at the ready, its point reflecting the sun with a glint of glare until it dipped into the shadows.

Inside the cave was cool and damp. The floor in part of the cave seemed glassy and flat, and revealed itself as a shallow pool as Magliorre sloshed through it. It was a fairly wide cavern, perhaps as large as the common room of most inns or taverns, and was dim, but light enough to see nearly all of it from the entrance.

Near one wall, the shards of broken eggs lay strewn about, intermingled with the bones of various animals. Duncan unearthed a human skull with the toe of his boot and a grimace on his young face. Clearly this place had been used as a nest before.

Along the adjoining wall was a mound of churned up dirt that was at least five paces across. Partly buried in the mound were the shiny, almost glowing shells of three live eggs.

Magliorre planted the butt of his spear into the dirt and let the shaft lay against him casually. He cracked his knuckles, a sound that was menacing even through his leather gloves in the confines of the cavern. He hawked and spat.

"I take it not a one of you have seen this before? Go on, get a good look. Lockwood would flay me if you all didn't a get a good close look."
Phuong Quang Huu
Civus

Huu smiled as he was named and then his heart sank as four others were also chosen to accompany him. He had hoped to argue that it was less risk for him to go alone but things moved too swiftly and his proper turn to speak was never given him. He eyed the spears with several levels of distaste. Spears were the weapons of peasants and bandits and Huu was neither. Nor did he have any intention of harming a dragon. So he left the spears in their rack for the bandits around him to arm themselves.

The cool of the cavern was a welcome respite after the heat of their journey. He longed to splash water on his face from the pool but thought it better to focus on the world around him. He meant the dragons no harm but standing in the middle of these barbarians, would a dragon know that? It was a thought that worried him all the more when Duncan found the skull among the shards of the old eggs. Huu began to relax. Just an old nest. Nothing to be found here.

Then the clutch of eggs was found. At Magliorre's urging, Huu approached the eggs with slow steady steps. "So beautiful." Huu murmured. And these barbarians were going to crush them like ants under their heels! Huu's fists balled up. But what was he to do? At most he would have time to grab one egg. Then what? His trained mind looked at the men in cave like pieces on the kemn board. If he was swift, Huu could get out of the cave but could he get past the Hunt waiting outside and then the miles of desert beyond. Yet Huu could not simply stand by and witness these foul murders. So he relied on the very first lesson of the sojen. He would ask for help.

"In the traditions of my homeland, it is right to give thanks for a success in the hunt." Huu explained quickly. "Please do not let my prayers disturb you." Huu took a step back and sank to his knees. He took a deep calming breath and willed his fear and desperation to the back of his mind. Huu centered himself and opened his senses to find the Kami of this land. Would they be here so far from home? Would they even speak the language of the East? Huu pushed aside these doubts. Doubts would not save these dragons.

Taking another breath he spoke to the Tether in the language of of the East. "Spirits of cave and desert, this one humbly greets you in the spirit of unity which makes all lands one. You cradle three new lives in a creche of earth but now those lives are in peril by those that do not understand the sacredness of those lives and their connections to the land. Kami of the cave, I call to thee! Draw the eggs into the warmth of your embrace. Hold them safe beneath the mud until the danger is past. Grant me the power to save these precious lives from the spear and sword!" Huu fell silent and willed with all his spirit for the lives of the dragons.
Last edited by Phuong Quang Huu on Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malakhai Qinua
Civus

Post by Malakhai Qinua »

Malakhai had no qualms about arming himself with a spear. It wasn't a weapon with which he was at all experienced, although pole arms were at least as frequently used among the People of the Sands as they were at the Keep. He simply saw the wisdom in taking a weapon that would enable him to put greater distance between him and the maw of a dragon when fighting.

The tall tribesman followed immediately behind Magliorre as they entered the cave, noting the signs of many battles past. The coolness was extremely welcome, even if the dark confines of the subterranean chamber did not please Mal. He'd always been a creature of the open desert, and even the low places of Dragonskeep itself were unappealing to him, an irrational fear always tugging at the corners of his mind. For now, though, he was able to put it aside, crouching down in front of the eggs with both hands on the haft of his spear for balance.

Malakhai's thoughts were far from Huu's in many ways, and if the tribesman had known what the man of the East was planning he would probably have driven the spear through him then and there. But they agreed on one thing at least: the eggs were strangely beautiful. Doubt came to him. Was this their great mission? To put an end to innocent lives - beings completely unable to defend themselves actively against their threat?

This doubt, too, he was able to sideline as soon as the image of his mother flashed in front of his vision. She had been an innocent, and before the great red kzaohcks she had been as defenceless as the eggs that now sat before them. Yet the dragon had not hesitated to bear her away. This was war, and such scruples had no place in the minds of either side. Ultimately, it was for him to continue to fight a war that had been fought since the time of the earliest legends of the People. Mercy was not only inappropriate and foolish - it was dangerous.

Malakhai peered more closely at the luminescent shells of the eggs. Inside each one of them lives a beast who longs to rend me limb from limb.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The eggs were roughly the size of human heads, and upon closer examination, made up of tiny, tiny scales that formed the shell. There was a pearly, luminescent glow about them, and a gentle heat radiated from each of them. Little else could be detected.

The effects of Mister Huu's prayer were something of a mixture of complete and utter failure and unlimited success. One one hand, the gruff warriors of Dragonskeep smashed the eggs into oblivion, totally destroying the chance at life for any of the eggs. Their long spears punctured and lanced the delicate shells and they cracked and broke into mere remnants.

Yet on the other hand, the more the eggs were destroyed, the more Mister Huu felt at ease and peaceful with it. There was a strange feeling that lingered in the back of his consciousness, as if he'd newly awakened from a dream, but could not remember the details. His faith and contact with the Kami of this land was somehow telling him that even though these lives were lost, there was a bigger plan in mind. A grander scheme that would allow their memory to live on, and consequences for the blood of those responsible. There was warmth and love for his concern, and there was peace that washed through him like a trickling stream.

~~~

The eggs were cracked, broken and destroyed at the hands of the knights. Magliorre looked around, giving the cave a last once over to check for anything else noteworthy.

"Congratulations mates. You're now Dragonslayers."

~~~

A shadow passed over the group outside the cave, causing many to shudder with a feeling of sudden hatred and cold. Marshall Lockwood took a moment to pack his pipe once more and waited for an opportunity to light it. On his face was a mixture of purpose and resignation.

Return to “The Baron Estates”