Eastern Seas meet Western Trees (Jygust 30, late MT)

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Eastern Seas meet Western Trees (Jygust 30, late MT)

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue stood as close to the front of the ship as she could, staring in wonder at a city they were fast approaching. She'd heard someone refer to it as Kes'levy, and mouthed the name silently as she waited for the ship to reach its final destination. Days upon days at sea had not troubled Hue in the slightest, for she was content to be surrounded by her favorite element. Yet now her journey was almost completed. Soon she would be in the elf-lands of the famous T'aquar, and the next phase of her training could begin.

Unfortunately, she had never let Rioja get far past describing the beauty of T'aquar. Hue hadn't learned of the political unrest, or the takeovers, or the resentment of Elves toward Humans. It never even really occurred to her that she was indeed one of those Humans. Such distinctions simply weren't considered in her homelands.

Ever since she'd set foot on that ship, Hue had felt herself growing closer to the place she was meant to be. The Kami had been restless with her, pushing her eagerly in a direction she had not been able to decipher for quite some time. Yet surely this was the place she was meant to go. To the lands of the wise and elegant Elves, with their knowledge of nature and the balance of things. T'aquar did not seem like a place that would be greatly out of the balance Rioja had hoped to regain, but perhaps here Hue could learn how to sense that tipping of powers. Oh, how little did she know.

She was dressed as she had always dressed in Long Danh, her robes dark blue and reaching to her knees, trimmed in an orange hue which matched the color of her pants. On the ship she wore her wooden sandals, as the often-damp deck was no place for silk shoes. Her long black hair was tied back in a tight braid which reached just past her waist, and she remained blissfully unaware of any prolonged looks she might receive.

Inwardly she willed the ship to go faster, asking the Kami to guide its prow and her own feet upon reaching the dock. She was bursting with energy, eager to begin searching for her next teacher.
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15174]Hue artwork[/url][/size]
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

What frame the wharf and docks of Kes'Levy are the enormous twisting roots from the thundering Ironwood trees that form the Palace of the Tari and the Temple of the One. Those two colossal trees located at the north of the city rose above the normal trees and their roots dipped from the city and crawled their immense roots to the northern sea. They can be seen by seafarers and fishermen from far out on the cold, calm, blue waters.

There are several minor roots forming small piers and wharves suitable for the citizens of Kes'Levy to suit their fishing livelihood. Every day those fishermen haul their day to day catch from their small fishing vessels and bring them to the small wet market ground between the Temple of the One and the palatial Tree of the Tari, or to the Flea Market.

Additionally, those main colossal roots from the Temple Tree and the Palace Tree formed the major quays of the Port of Kes'Levy. Since the occupation by the forces of the Western Kingdom, these roots have been supplemented with heavy extensions made from locally-quarried stone so that the very largest of Western galleons could serve the port. The result is a rather incongruous melding of nature and artifice.

Unlike the ports of Human cities, the sea waters of Kes'Levy are relatively clean. Shapers and citizens alike have tended the marine and coral life of the sea so that even sea creatures such as dolphins and sea otters are familiar sights from the Quay.

When it was close enough, her ship dropped anchor in the shallow harbor, and smaller longboats were lowered into the water and began ferrying the passengers and cargo over to the piers. The sailors, who had been long at sea, whistled and sang jaunty sea songs as they assisted Hue into one of the longboats along with several other passengers. Once all were seated comfortably, a pair of burly seamen began to row towards the Quay.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue's inky black eyes widened in amazement as she gazed at the massive trees which seemed to form much of the docks and even some of the city. She had never seen trees so big, looking down into the crystal waters to spy their roots weaving through the waters. Surely the Elves were wondrous creatures, that the Kami would bless them with such trees.

She could hardly wait to get into a longboat and head for shore, but duty required that she stay close to Sojen An, whom had been sent on this journey with her. Patiently she remained by his side, until they were finally situated in a boat. And though her body remained still, her eyes sparkled with light and excitement as she listened to the curious songs of the sailors (recalling something she'd heard Elvira sing), and craned her neck to see the shore.

As the men began to row, Hue struggled to reel in her excitement. It was time to thank the Kami.

Hue was obviously a foreigner, so she used this to her advantage and simply prayed right there in the boat, placing the palms of her hands together in front of her chest and bowing her head, eyes closing. For my safe passage and gentle guidance I thank you, great Kami. These lands of beauty reflect your wisdom and your power. Please continue to guide me, so that I might learn what you wish, and become what you will. As always, help me to keep in harmony with the world and myself.

Once she was done, Hue dropped her hands back into her lap and looked toward the shore, which had grown a bit nearer. It was all she could do to keep from wiggling her toes with eagerness.

OOC: Edited to include Sojen An.
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

Morg

Post by Morg »

An was a distant, reclusive character even by Sojen standards. Most of the time aboard the ship he had spent in long meditative trances, which for him doubled as sleep, for he was very old. His tattooed skin was almost as wrinkled as the gnarly trees that towered above them, and his long white hair was sparse and light. Adhiel could live for hundreds of yahren without showing signs of old age, so exactly how old An was could only be guessed at. Right now he was gazing at the ramshackle construction of the newer piers, his serene hazel eyes as unreadable as ever.

"Hue Em," he spoke in their native language as the sailors carried the pair of them closer to land. "Harmony is here, but it hides behind a layer of disharmony that is itself concealed by the harmony we see. In this place as in most, not all is as it seems. You should be careful." This was about as direct an utterance as could ever be got out of An.

The longboat made its way through the clear waters to a tiny rootlet pier which snaked down from one of the vast ironwoods. As the sailors tied it off, three figures could be seen moving rapidly to greet them: two tall humans in scale armour flanking an adhiel woman in a nondescript brown jerkin who held a wooden board in her hands.

There was suspicion in the eyes of the adhiel as she glanced at the two occupants of the boat, and she eventually addressed them, speaking in Common. "Welcome to city of Kes'Levy, in T'aquar," she stated, although there was little welcome in her guarded voice. "I am harbourmistress. I will need your names, your... place of origin, your faith, and reason for your visit."

The two guards - for there was no doubt that was what they were - both gawked helplessly at Hue and An as she spoke.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Though surprised to hear An speak so directly to her, Hue nodded obediently at his words. "I will be vigilant," she said in Noi Long, ere looking back toward the docks, her pure black orbs clearly thoughtful. It was hard to believe there could be disharmony in such a place. An could somehow sense it, but he was much older and wiser than she. Perhaps he would some day teach her to see such things.

Her first hint of it was when they reached the docks. Offering a helping hand, should An need it, Hue then turned toward the city -- only to notice an Adhiel woman and two Human guards flanking her sides, heading toward them very quickly. The obvious suspicion in the Adhiel woman's eyes caused Hue's eyebrows to lift up the tiniest fraction of a bit.

"Welcome to city of Kes'Levy, in T'aquar. I am harbourmistress. I will need your names, your... place of origin, your faith, and reason for your visit."

What's an harbourmistress? Hue's hands folded at her chest, palms together, as she bent at the waist, her head bowing low in a deep, respectful bow to the Adhiel and her..companions. Her long braid fell over her shoulder as she did so, and Hue brushed it back thoughtlessly as she began to answer.

"I am Ly Binh Hue, this is Sojen An. We come from Long Danh, far east. We have much faith. I come to learn."

Her accent was very strange; she seemed to take great care in pronouncing every 's' and 't', but skimmed over the 'r's as if they posed some difficulty to her. Hue's tones were soft and airy, yet still easy to hear. And obviously, she had misunderstood what the Adhiel meant by her faith.

Morg

Post by Morg »

"To learn," repeated the adhiel woman dubiously, scratchily writing down what she was told. She then turned to An, speaking in Adhiel. "Eochinn ea fiadhea bir T'aquar... daini?"

The old monk lowered his head in deference, his withered lips slowly mimicking the sounds he'd heard Hue produce. "I come to rearn also."

The harbourmistress exchanged a glance with the guard on her left, a handsome dark-haired man. "Well," she spoke. "You not answered my question about your faith. I not wish to know how much faith." Although more practised in it than Hue, the woman was no native speaker of the Human tongue. "I wish to know what faith - the god or gods that you follow."

Around them, locals were beginning to make their way to the piers as the Eastern ship's cargo was brought to shore. Hue and An were not the only thing the vessel had ferried across from Long Danh; with international trade now a possibility, an enterprising captain could make his fortune through it. Once the traders had been vetted by other harbour guards, crates of tea, silk and ink were lifted out of the longboats and carried towards the Flea Market, where they would be sold before the ship moved on with the rest of its cargo to King's Court and the cities of the Mer de la Luna. There was no sense in flooding a market as small as Kes'Levy.

* "Why do you come to T'aquar... ancient one?"
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

How come she didn't speak to me in Adhiel? Curiously, Hue listened to the Adhiel's words, watching her lips as they formed themselves around the sounds of the language. Daini. That was a new one. She would have to ask An about that one, if she could get it out of him.

Hue's gaze stayed level with the Adhiel's as she elaborated on her exact meaning of faith. Did it really matter? Eager to show the woman that she too could speak Adhiel, Hue responded in her language, and though the words were somewhat clumsy the effort was honest. "We worship the Kami, spirits of harmony and balance." 'Kami' was actually said in the Human tongue, for she knew not if there was an Adhiel word for her ancestors.

Slightly distracted as locals and dock workers began to move about the harbor, Hue's eyes strayed from the Elf woman for just a flicker, ere she looked back. She wanted very badly to start exploring, but for some reason she had to answer questions first. Well, it was the same way in Long Danh when the foreigners showed up, she rationalized, offering the woman a quick smile and continuing in strangely accented Adhiel. "I don't meet Western Adhiel before. What is your faith, honored Adhiel?" Hue would seem a polite, if not naive girl, no doubt. Yet she had been sure to learn respectful terms in the Adhiel language, just as in the Human language, much the same as the words that colored much of her conversations in Noi Long. Showing respect to others was terribly important.
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Morg

Post by Morg »

The dark-haired woman's expression immediately softened when Hue began to address her in Adhiel. She evidently appreciated the effort. "Spirits, hmm..." she responded in her own tongue.

It had the opposite effect on the two guards, however. The dark-haired man made an interjection. "What did she say, Evangelina?"

The harbourmistress paused before she responded. "They are pagans," she said eventually, a sliver of practised disdain in her voice. "They worship spirits."

Hue's own question drew no such hesitation from the woman. "I am a follower of Dominicus, the One God," Evangelina replied proudly. "If you are here to learn, then you should learn of Him at the Apostolic Institute. It is a place of learning, on the other side of the town." She was speaking in Adhiel again, although the words Dominicus and Apostolic remained untranslated. She gestured vaguely between the trunks of the vast ironwoods. "You are free to enter Kes'Levy. However, you should know that open worship of... beings other than the One God is forbidden within the realm of T'aquar. Is there anything else I can help you with?"
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

At first Hue was listening to the woman speak, noting how the words sounded when they came out of her mouth, and listening for new words she had not yet learned. Yet something caught her attention. The Adhiel saw a trace of confusion flicker across Hue's features as she told the guards in Human -- and with obvious disdain -- that Hue and An were "pagans." Was that the human word for followers of the Kami? Apparently, pagans were bad things. This was all a bit strange.

It became even stranger when the woman said she was a follower of something called "Dominicus." Hue had never heard of such a thing before. Further, she said it was "One God." Did that mean there was a Two God? But there were so many numbers! Oh, it's a him, Hue observed as the Adhiel woman named Evangelina continued. Hue's gaze moved past her once more as she gestured toward the ironwoods and told her she could go, stipulating that open worship of anything but this Dominicus man was forbidden.

In the Eastern world, gods were not really spoken of, let alone referred to with numbers. Hue wasn't even really sure she believed in gods -- where did they draw their power from? The Kami had once been living, and in passing joined with the elements. Their power had a source. But gods... Even if they did exist, the Kami spoke with them, not mortals.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Oh, yes," Hue said in Adhiel, looking back and hoping the woman wouldn't mind more questions. "If it is good with you, can you tell me why spirits are bad to worship? And if Do-mi-ni-cus is One-God, are there more? Many gods, which he does not like?"
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Morg

Post by Morg »

Evangelina folded her arms across her clipboard and sighed lightly as she considered her response. Well, her interpretation is one conclusion that could be drawn from what I said. Just a pity it had to be the most annoying conclusion. The harbourmistress was no theologian - she was a harbourmistress, and she had business to attend to. On the other hand, being questioned about religion was something she had to deal with each and every day. It still wasn't easy being a follower of Dominicus in Kes'Levy, especially not one with pointy ears. Damn it. What would Father Moreau say?

"Worshipping spirits is bad because it is... misguided," the adhiel woman stated firmly. "There is a great and kind God who created everything and all of us, so should we not praise Him? It is ungrateful to praise lesser beings."

"And he is the One God," she continued. "Not one of many. There are no other gods. The other gods are nothing more than incomplete pieces of Him."

The older of the two guards was nodding along slowly. "Or daemons," he added in Human. "Some of those other gods are daemons, in disguise."

An said not a word, but a sparkle of amusement had entered his old eyes.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue's eyebrows lifted slightly as Evangelina answered Hue's questions to what seemed to be the best of her ability. The woman had said there were no other gods, yet almost in the same breath she said that the other gods were incomplete pieces of Dominicus. And still more were "daemons." Hue had not heard this Human word before, but it definitely had a negative connotation, much like "pagans."

Of course Hue realized that these were simply beliefs. In the empire, different families worshiped different Kami. This did not mean one family was more correct than the other, or that one Kami was better than the next. The Long family had never told the Ly family, You must be good with fire. Why then did the Westerners insist one truth was greater than another?

A sideways glance to An was given as Hue searched for any hint of what the wiser Sojen thought of these Westerners. There was a glint in his gaze, as if he were almost...amused. I shall ask him what he thinks when we are free to converse. Yet through everything Hue sought wisdom, and with a simple shrug of her shoulders she smiled at Evangelina, speaking in the Human tongue so that she and her guards might all understand her.

"If child chooses friend you do not like, do you push child away? No, you love, and child learns in time. You say Do-mi-ni-cus is kind -- but is unkind to force one will upon other will. I wonder if you act as he wishes, or use him to rid child of friend? One day child will grow lonely, and not listen any more."

Obviously not expecting an answer, Hue smiled and bowed deeply to Evangelina and her guards. "Thank you for welcome and lesson. May you find peace."

Hue waited until she and An had walked some distance away from the harbor and into the city before she addressed him in Noi Long, her thoughts distracting her from enjoying the sights for now. "An Em, what do you think of this "One God?" He seems a source of the disharmony you spoke of, if others are kept from expressing their own beliefs."
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Morg

Post by Morg »

Evangelina maintained a neutral, professional face as she listened to Hue's metaphor, but inside she was seething. Patronising bitch. Who does she think she is? She's only just arrived in our lands and she talks like she knows my god better than I do. And after I've spent my valuable time answering her questions.

"May you find the learning you're looking for," she responded in Human. When she was out of earshot, she spoke quietly to the two guards. "We should keep a watch upon those two. They may mean trouble for this city."

An and Hue passed further into the city. The interior of Kes'Levy was quite a dark place, with little light filtering down through the canopy of the great ironwoods. Here and there, ordered according to no obvious scheme, were softly glowing spheres from which a warm yellow-green light emanated. The streets were not at all busy, although the market seemed to be quite a hub of activity. On the water, a solitary canoe was being poled across from a strange tree that stood alone.

If An was surprised at being addressed with an honorific usually reserved for younger females, he didn't show it. Instead he gazed around him and eventually spoke - in creaky Human.

"If child goes toward precipice, do you let child fall? If you love, you... pull child back." The language proving too much for him, he switched back into Noi Long. "Your love leads you to rescue the infant before it falls to its death. Perhaps it is so with these worshippers of the One God." The old adhiel hadn't answered the question directly, but then again he rarely did.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

The juggling of two languages she barely knew had left Hue a bit baffled even when speaking in Noi Long, and it didn't even occur to her that she had just called the older Sojen an honorable young lady. Well, at least she'd called him young. Her dark eyes took in their surroundings as they walked in no particular direction, but Hue was looking for a place for them to stay. Her attention diverted to An, however, when he endeavored to speak in the common tongue. She sympathized with the obvious difficulty, but said nothing.

As An fell back into Noi Long, Hue looked back toward a softly glowing sphere of light, and then to the canoe, which caught her attention. Her path veered toward it gently and without thought, as the water parts round a stone.

"Yes, but this city is not filled with children," she replied in Noi Long, aware that she was also arguing against her own metaphor. It mattered little, for the message stayed the same. "Grown men and women cannot be led down a path like oxen. With age they have earned the right to make their own decisions about what they will believe, and I do not think it is right to take that from them. How can anyone have the right to tell another man what his thoughts should be? Love is accepting, not controlling. Is there something I am missing?"
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Morg

Post by Morg »

As ever, An listened intently, fixed on her words as if they held the greatest of all truths. Despite his great age, An was himself like a child in at least one respect: he sucked in sensory input with fascination. The world had never lost its aura of wonder to him.

"I think it is I who is missing something, Hue Em," he replied in a humble tone. "You speak of these rights as something so obvious, but I do not understand their basis. The Kami do not insist upon such rights, and I do not see them written in the earth or hear them whispered in the water. Perhaps you can explain to me why age - the simple passing of time - would cause the accumulation of rights. I am very old," he added, "and yet I would not want others to refrain from trying to influence my choices simply because they thought I had a right to such. If I fell into the clutches of the Oni, I would hope that you would do everything in your power to rescue me - even if I did not wish to be rescued. Is love not far more than passive acceptance?"

"Regardless," he continued, "you are most probably correct that it is a source of disharmony. Whether rightly or not, most people object to being told what to believe, and anger is often the result."
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue's eyes remained focused on the canoe and the strange tree behind it as she advanced toward it, listening to An's words with a stoic expression upon her face.

"But if you were in the clutches of the Oni, it would be far different, just as there is a difference between an attempt at influence and a forcing of it. We believe in the Kami, but to those people our beliefs are wrong. They would keep us from worshiping our ancestors because they have a god who says he is the only god. I do not see that as love, but as ignorance. If I am to receive council, it is I who will decide what I do with it."

The foreign girl's eyes gave a quick blink as those last words came rather forcefully out of her mouth, despite the cool expression of her face. She had never said such a thing before, but neither had anyone tried to force anything upon her. Hue's life had been one of choices and freedom -- yes, she had undergone vigorous training, but at her own choice. And she had never been told she was wrong. Hue was always very careful not to be wrong.

Hue merely nodded at An's final words, simply pitying the people in this town. After all, what could be done? I wonder if all of T'aquar is like Kes'levy... It wasn't nearly as glorious as Rioja had described. Beautiful, yes, but much seemed awry. For instance, why in the name of the dragon empress was an Elf flanked by two Humans in an Elven city?

Her thoughts had wandered again. Hue's feet stopped her just a few flickers short of a dip in the water as she finally focused again, unsure of exactly why she had walked toward that canoe. She looked to An almost uncertainly.

"Is all the world filled with only questions?"

Morg

Post by Morg »

The strange old adhiel smiled up at her, the tattoos on his jaw seeming to swim and swirl as he did so. When he replied, in Noi Long, there was a hint of playfulness in his voice. "Who knows?"

The strange tree from which the canoe was bound floated alone along the tidal shore of Kes'Levy, a proud, towering figure that stood defiantly against the backdrop of the encroaching surge of the sea, a lone figure under the canopies of the domed sky. A lofty mangrove tree, it dipped its stilt-like roots along the bosom of the sea, its branches lifted upward as if opening its arms towards the Kami of the air.

The canoe had only one occupant, a male adhiel, very tall for one of his race, whose willowy aspect well matched the great tree behind him. Deftly he poled the small boat to shore where Hue and An stood, sweeping off his broad-brimmed hat and favouring them with an elegant bow. "Namaste, travellers," he greeted them in Adhiel. "I am Khar'Ione. Are you in need of transport to the Floating Willow?"
Last edited by Morg on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue hardly noticed the playfulness in An's tone, the fathomless depths of her black eyes focused intently on the strange floating tree. Water, Earth, Air...what is this tree? I have never seen anything like it. "That tree is incredible," she said breathlessly to An -- or perhaps to no one at all. Hue was all but ready to jump into the water and swim when the voice of an unknown male stirred her from her thoughts and her gaze flickered downward again.

She didn't have to look far, for the willowy Adhiel before her was quite tall despite his heritage, and Hue's palms almost immediately met at her chest as she bowed low in a respectful greeting. She couldn't help but notice that his form was quite similar to the floating tree, reflecting its lithe branches in the curves of his willowy limbs. Responding in strangely accented Adhiel, Hue stood upright once more, brushing her long braid back over her shoulder.

"Namaste, respected Khar'Ione. I am Ly Binh Hue, and this is An. I...would like to get closer to the Floating Willow, yes." Here she turned to An, speaking to him in Noi Long. "Will you come with me or wait, An Oang?" Well, at least she got it right that time.
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morg

Post by Morg »

An clasped his withered hands together and smiled. "I will let you explore this alone, Hue Em. I am tired and need rest." The old monk showed no signs of tiring, but he sounded genuine. "I will find a place to centre myself not far from here. You can tell me what you have seen when you return." Bowing to the much taller Khar'Ione, he withdrew.

A few inches taller than Hue, the lean, golden-haired ferryman wore a mellow green tunic and short brown breeches that revealed the slender, stockinged calves of his legs. His smile was the cheerful, guileless expression of one who had spent the majority of his life in the open air. "Well then, pretty miss Ly, I will take you there, if you will grace my humble vessel with your person." He extended a hand to help her into the canoe, which bobbed gently against the rootlet quay. Made of sewn birchbark, it was large enough to accommodate five or six people, although Hue had the whole vessel to herself.

The journey took several burns, as Khar'Ione punted along adroitly but without haste, whistling jauntily. The sun was almost directly overhead, and its rays struck down through the outlying branches of the ironwoods into the clear water of the tranquil bay. A swimming otter came very close to the boat at one point, light glinting off its streamlined back as it broke the surface of the waves. The Floating Willow itself gradually grew nearer, and it became clear that it was a dwelling of sorts. The great tree's trunk parted smoothly, and behind a curtain of woven grasses a large chamber could be seen. Further up were at least two more floors, judging by the circular, whorl-like windows.

The interior was cool, shady and largely deserted. A few spheroid paper lanterns filled with glowing moss adorned the main chamber, providing a warm, relaxing light. A small stage stood at the middle of the room, on which an Adhiel bard was busily strumming his lute, his baritone voice wafting around the air under the tune of his melodic music. Surrounding the stage were low circular wooden tables and cushions and pillows for chairs. Lounging around one table were a group of humans, military in appearance, led by a very sturdily built man in gleaming plate armour. They were drinking, conversing jovially, and munching on fresh bread from a basket. Apart from the bard, and a white-blonde barmaid polishing glasses behind a bar fashioned from the living wood, they were the inn's only occupants.

Khar'Ione remained in the boat when they arrived, waiting patiently at the water's edge. A broadly snaking root led up to the main entrance.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue answered An with a nod and a small bow, her eyes following until she discerned which direction he was going in.

Turning back to Khar'Ione, Hue's eyes traveled over his form -- not apprasingly, but thoughtfully, as if absorbing all the details of his bodily self. His smile made her smile, and for the first time since stepping off the boat she felt a bit more relaxed. Perhaps everyone here wasn't so ready to judge her as a heathen.

Though somewhat puzzled when he addressed her by her last name, not yet realizing that Western names were ordered differently, Hue said nothing of it and placed her small hand in his, stepping into the canoe. The gentle sway it gave did not upset her too greatly after her longer experience on the larger boat, and she settled down quietly, murmuring a soft "thank you" to the Adhiel.

She listened to his whistling as the canoe glided through the water. Hue's eyes widened in awe as an otter's sleek form broke the surface of the waters before gliding back into their depths. Once again filled with the wonder she had forgotten during her journey, Hue looked back to the tree, which was slowly growing larger. Higher in the tree there were windows. How strange.

Hue left the boat a bit hesitantly at first, worried that she would be left here. Yet Khar'Ione didn't seem to be in a terrible rush to leave her, so she stepped forward with more assurance. She had considered asking the Adhiel about the tree and its purpose, but she had enjoyed listening to his whistling, and saw no need to ask a question she could answer with her own feet.

She found the interior of the tree pleasant enough, pretty paper lanterns illuminating the chamber with a warm glow which soothed her thoughts. Hopefully she did not seem too out of place, but she didn't particularly mind if she was. Perhaps if others knew she was a foreigner they would help her more.

Hue chose a table near to the stage, pleased that it sat so low. She settled almost silently onto a cushion and folded her legs, her dark eyes sliding quickly and casually over the group of soldiers. Briefly she recalled her experience at the dock just burns ago and wondered if all soldiers would be bad news for a heathen. That one man's armor was so -- what was the word? -- shiny. Very shiny. Yet music interested Hue far more than men. It was something she'd not yet had the time to study, but was always ready to enjoy. It was an expression of the spirit.

Turning toward the stage, she watched the bard's fingers skillfully bringing a pleasant song out of a rounded wooden box with strings -- for that was all the instrument was. In her homeland she was more used to instruments such as the dan day, and was less familiar with the lute. Yet she found it to her liking. Perhaps these Westerners weren't in as much trouble as Rioja had suggested.

Morg

Post by Morg »

The soldiers at the table were large young men, and none larger than the armoured man, his torso looking like nothing so much as a metal barrel. As well as drinking, they seemed to be playing a game with a deck of cards bearing bright designs. Perhaps surprisingly, they paid little attention to Hue as she entered, and even less to the bard on his stage.

The musician was not particularly tall, and in fact rather stout, if such a thing could be said of an adhiel. His long chestnut brown hair was plaited into several braids, swept back over his forehead by a band of cloth, and he wore a colourful patchwork coat that stretched down to his ankles. When Hue entered he had been strumming in a fairly desultory manner, but as she sat down he began to play a mellow and distant song, conscious that he now had an audience. His fingers skipped deftly across the strings as he sang. His voice was a little creaky, but rich and melodic.

"Breathing sunshine from the flowers,
A little wisdom from the leaves,
Carry comfort to the sad tree,
How the grass it did grieve,

There's a moment we remember,
It's a feeling we face,
Take me down to that world of wonder,
Into the garden of grace.

There's a tree of temptation,
From the seed of despair,
We know all our attentions,
Are for the bodies we bare,

It's a feeling we face,

It's a jungle to the gentle,
It's a bed for the dead,
It's a field full of reasons why
All the soldiers have bled.

It's a feeling we face,

A golden shaft full of sunlight
Recaptures my face,
And the Father of the Heavens high,"
(this line was sung a little more quietly and hesitantly)
"Gave that garden its place.

Oh heaven hold me..."

During the playing he only glanced once or twice at Hue, his only listener, instead keeping his chin high and roaming the room with his eyes. As the song came to an end, he stepped down from the stage and called to the barmaid. "Nephe'line! Another Moonshine." The adhiel woman, whose beaming smile looked etched into her face, put down the glass she was polishing and moved to comply.

The bard's blue eyes were very slightly out of focus - it was clear that this was not his first drink of the day. Still, it had not noticeably affected his playing or his movement. From the stage he approached Hue, lowering himself to be seated at her table. "Seodhiu ta ea,"** he greeted her, continuing to speak in Adhiel. "It is always good to encounter someone who appreciates the arts." His mouth opened in a friendly grin. "From where do you hail?"

*Adapted slightly from the song "Garden of Grace", by Seth Lakeman
**"The world in you" (common greeting)
Last edited by Morg on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue smiled softly as the bard began to play in earnest when he noticed her attentions. Her dark eyes roamed over him as he played, her ears all but tuning out everything but the music. The soldiers became a glinting group of unimportant lights, the room around her nothing but darkness. Though he glanced at her rarely, Hue's gaze remained intently fixed on the bard, all of her senses focused on that music.

She didn't have too much trouble following the music, though the language still eluded her here and there. From what she gathered, Hue noticed the song was rather melancholy. It caused her to tilt her head gently. Silently, she wondered if the Adhiel had been referring to Dominicus when he spoke of the "Father of the Heavens high." Would he call her a heathen too?

The bard called for something called "Moonshine," and judging by the haze of his eyes it was something alcoholic. Hue herself had never touched alcohol, and she wondered at his decision to do so. Would not his senses be muddled? The inky depths of her eyes followed the bard thoughtfully from his seat on the stage to his seat at her table. She seemed neither surprised nor offended at his company. Instead, she smiled gently, her small painted lips turning upward at the corners.

"Seodhiu ta ea, respected Adhiel," Hue responded in her strange accent, lending an unusual tone to the bard's language. "I thank you for your song. You have the wind in your fingers." Here, a gentle bow of her head. "I hail from the Empire in the East, from a place called Long Danh. I have come here to learn from the wisdom of your people. My name is Ly Binh Hue."
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morg

Post by Morg »

"Then well met, Ly Binh Hue," the dark-haired adhiel replied in his own language. A relieved smile had made its way onto his face as he heard her place of origin. He placed the lute down on the table. It was made of dark wood, of a similar colour to his hair, and was decorated with an elegant honeysuckle pattern. The pupils of his green eyes were dilated.

"I thank you for your compliment. I am Aonail li Ganabh. I know not of the place of which you speak, but I am glad that you are from the East and not the West. These men of the West," he gestured dismissively towards the soldiers, "have stolen our wisdom. They destroyed most of it, and bastardised the rest. I am sorry that you came here to learn at such a benighted time." At these bitter words he looked round towards the bar, seeming concerned that his drink too would be stolen. There was no need for him to worry, since the long-haired barmaid was already approaching, carrying a tall glass of clear, fizzling liquid. She placed it on the table by the lute with a murmured "There you go, dear", lingering briefly by them in case Hue wanted to order anything.

Aonail took a sip and shook his head vigorously as if to clear it. "Ah, but what am I saying? I still have my music... no man can take that away from me. Thank the Father for that, ha! They burn our capital, the heart of our forests, and yet they cannot take away our music. Ha!" His chuckle was a happy, melodic sound, like his singing.
Last edited by Morg on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue's eyes thoughtfully moved over the instrument as he laid it down on the table. She seemed to consider every curve, every string, every bit of grain in the wood before she finally looked back to her new Adhiel companion.

As Aonail quite suddenly leapt into a conversation about Westerners and how they had 'bastardized' Adhiel knowledge, Hue looked nonplussed. Her expression barely changed at all as she sat still, soaking in his words as if she were a sponge and he a puddle. "Water, please," Hue said softly to the barmaid, interjecting the words between Aonail's sentences so quickly and gently that it was as if it had never happened -- like a small insect skating across a pond.

Hue's gaze moved back to the soldiers as Aonail spoke of them, though not in such a way that would incriminate the bard and turn trouble their way. They didn't seem as if they wanted to hurt anyone. So why would they? She looked back to her companion, the same cool expression on her face despite her confusion.

"I am sorry if my questions bring pain, but why did this happen? I have not heard of this, I was very --" She seemed to search for the right word, but couldn't find it. "...walled? I do not know much of your world."

Morg

Post by Morg »

Aonail shrugged. "Asking does not bring me pain," he replied. "The pain is already there. It is the knowledge of what happened that causes me pain. Perhaps, in some strange way, sharing that knowledge will lessen it." His words didn't seem forced. The bard was a man whose life was consumed by one grudge that he bore, his music a way to cope with that bitterness.

"We are an ancient people," he began. "This kingdom had endured since memory itself began, known across the world as a beacon of culture and civilisation. We lived in harmony with Nature and with all. But now..." He closed his wide eyes for a flicker, and when he reopened them his voice took on a practised quality, as if he were transmitting a story that did not belong to him alone. "We are a dying kingdom. Our blood is now dwindling, on the verge of extinction. This place is now but a distant picture of what we once were. We are slowly dying, one by one; our blood is being sacrificed, like a lamb to a Mad God. We are slowly dying."

"It was our noble blood that was spilled in the desert dunes of Amun Rah," he continued. "It was our kin who stood defiant against the darkness that blanketed the whole realm, last yahren. We gave everything for the Father and the Mother, for Tazlure, for life. Many of us were slain; many of us were sacrificed, butchered, their voices unheard, their actions untold. Yet still, the One God prevailed, for we cannot stand alone against the Madness of the One God. Our brave kin who stood defiant against the Mad God were entombed among the desert dunes of Amun Rah. Out of the depths we cried to our Gods, to listen to the voice of our pleading, yet our Gods were thwarted, left crippled by the Mad God, and our prayers were left unanswered. The bodies of our kin were buried in a mountain of molten glass, their hands stretched out in supplication against the massacre of our race. Few of us were spared. Defeated, our small surviving race went back to our beloved forest of T'aquar, our numbers greatly diminished and thinned."

Nephe'line glided to the table, bearing a tall tumbler of clear water. She frowned concernedly when she heard what Aonail was in the process of telling Hue, but said nothing. Even when speaking about such an emotive subject, the bard was capable of using his voice as an instrument, weaving the words together like a tapestry.

"Yet even in our forest," the bard went on, "darkness loomed. Our majestic city of Taloh, our capital, was torn down, and daemons and fire ravaged our forest. Even in the sanctuary of our Weald, those of our blood were being butchered. Black smoke blanketed our majestic city; fire burned the trees, kindling them to ashes. Cries and wails for help floated unheard as the daemons attacked us. It was a sad night for the race of the Adhiel. Fathers, mothers, daughters and sons of T'aquar died in that conflagration. T'aquar was awash in a river of blood, our blood, our race slowly being fed into the fire of extinction. Cities were abandoned; villages left unattended since almost all of us were homeless, refugees inside our own realm. Yet, there still loomed trials before us. In the west, Orcs harassed the border of our forest realm. In the south, the zealots of the One God marched on, craving for our blood. To the north we fled, to this coastal city of Kes'Levy. But the Oneists found us here, and subjugated what few of us remained. They took control of the Tree of the Runya Library, and dispersed its contents. Even now they make a mockery of our Tari, our government." Only now that he had finished his narrative did he drink again, draining the rest of his glass in one go and calling out to the barmaid. "Nephe'line! Another, if you please, acha."

(OOC: Thanks to Scheherazade for the bulk of this.)
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue listened closely as Aonail began to tell his tale, both because she was curious and because if she did not listen closely she might lose meaning between the words she didn't recognize. Amun Rah, the Father and the Mother, these were strange to her. Yet she accepted them, drinking in Aonail's words as if they were water, tasting them on her tongue before taking them in. Her eyes closed here and there in his story, but always their dark depths focused again on him. The rest of the world had gone, only this elf and his tale existing to Hue as she tuned out the rest, hardly noticing as Nephe'line brought her water.

His words shocked her, and hurt her chest. Though her features remained passive, Hue felt a strange mixture of anger, sorrow, and pain. Was this what the Western world was like? Disharmony and anger, destruction and hatred? Was this what Rioja had spoken of? How, then, could anyone of the Eastern Empire aid these people, to whom so much injustice had been done? And all of this for the One God, the Mad God, Dominicus. He sounded like one of the Oni. His followers forced their beliefs on others, restricting them, telling them they were wrong. Hue had been taught that everyone has their own path, and yet these Oneists would resort to forcing others to take only one path. Everything about them was wrong. Everything.

"There must be something that can be done," Hue murmured softly, appalled at Aonail's story. "There must be others these Oneists have oppressed. Others who will fight them with you. Your culture, your knowledge is far too important to lose. It isn't right."

Something seemed to occur to her, then, and Hue blinked once. "There was an Adhiel at the docks, named Seraphine. Why would she follow the Mad God if this has been done to your people?"

Return to “T'aquar Archive”