Sierran Harbor Entrance - Jygust 30th MT

Moderator: Mods

Tristam

Sierran Harbor Entrance - Jygust 30th MT

Post by Tristam »

The docks of Sierra were very quiet compared to those of Dort or even Aveas. On the other isles it would be a bustling place with sailor's heading to and from dockside taverns while strong armed laborers hauled goods about and small time traders made their deals out of pushcarts. In Sierra every pier but the one their ship was tied up was empty and silent. The men that move the goods from the ship wear the livery of Dort and work almost lazily with time being no object.

Baylan and the Kanthrops could see the Captain of the Drocker chatting with one of the uniformed men. The officer held a clipboard and made marks on some papers as the others worked. The Captain jerked his head and pointed out his passengers and the uniformed man looked up from his clipboard. Visitors to Sierra were more common than before but he was still not used to them. Nor was he used to ships beyond the Dort supply vessels for that matter.

The harbormaster strode down the pier and looked the group over. He cleared his throat nervously. "Welcome to the isle of Sierra." He greeted him. "Um, I just need to know your name and why exactly you've come here."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's brow lifted at the quiet state of this area's port. Aveas had been busy compared to this place, and the sluggish movements of the dock workers made her scoff silently. Her opinion of humans somehow managed to drop lower, if it were possible. After making sure everything was in order Xenovia left the ship first, her three companions in tow, expecting to simply walk off into the jungle. Yet a man in uniform stopped them, asking for names. For a moment, she was baffled. What did names matter?

Having been made the "leader" of this whole expedition, Xenovia had grudgingly accepted that to outsiders she would need to appear to be in charge. With her companions Xenovia tried to be a quiet sort of leader, doing so without really declaring that they had to do what she said. After all, she didn't really feel much like she should be in charge of the group, for she was nothing to look up to in her opinion. Truthfully it was Kytani who made her most nervous; Muraco was used to being told to shut up and Scarlet was agreeable. She knew Kytani least, but she did know that she could think for herself.

Yet at the moment she had to do more speaking than thinking, so it was Xenovia who stepped forward first, hoping that this man (who carried the same sort of writing stuffs that Carlotta had) wouldn't care to see her hood pulled back. Xen didn't need her animal abilities to sense that the man was nervous, he had made that much apparent already. Perhaps she could simply scare him away. After all, he was just a human.

She had posed as a man on the boat, but that had required very little communication. Now she spoke in her own voice, no longer disguising it. The tones were higher and distinctly feminine, though she squared her shoulders and tilted her hooded head down a bit as if she had to talk down to the man, turning her head just slightly so that the light would catch in the depths of her strange golden eyes. She hoped it was at least a bit intimidating; it probably wouldn't hurt that she was also holding a spear, and stood nearly six feet tall. "He," she gestured with a gloved hand to the tiny man, "is not with us. My name is Xenovia, and these are my companions Scarlet, Muraco, and Kytani. We are explorers and hunters, here to find..treasure." Yes, that would work.

"Is there anything else?" She said this last bit with a trace of irritation in her voice, which wasn't entirely faked. The spear could already be found, and he was wasting her time with names and niceties. Xen's weight shifted from one foot to the other as she gripped her own spear more tightly, causing her leather gloves to creak audibly. Hopefully her companions would sense her annoyance and follow suit.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]"When the sun is gone I see you:
beautiful and haunting, but cold;
like the blade of a knife so sharp, so sweet --
nobody knows your heart." - Princess Mononoke[/i][/size]
Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

Post by Baylan Anvilhammer »

Baylan had pulled his crate of nails from the belly of the Drocker before he'd gone to sleep the previous evening, stowing it strategically behind a mess of mooring lines where it would not be bothered by curious (and perhaps sticky-fingered) crew members. Sailors busied themselves with tossing the ropes overboard and securing them to the wooden bollards of the pier below and didn't even notice the little dwarf swoop in and claim his crate. Moving it was a different story entirely. His efforts in getting it as far as he did last night were tremendous enough as it was.

Awkwardly shoving the goods down the gangplank, the dwarf strained every muscle in his legs to shift the load as he caught up to the kanthrop cluster.

Bay stopped for a moment, getting a read on the situation.

Tall, dark, and self-important up there is going to make us all out to be cretins... he grumbled under his breath.

Xen wrote:"Is there anything else?"

Laughing outwardly at the unnecessary posturing, Baylan (in true dwarven fashion) rumbled his own introduction to break the tension, "The name is Baylan Anvilhammer... I intend to dig into your little jungle here- unlock her secrets and all, you know."

The dwarf took a flicker to wink at the clip-board wielding individual charmingly before returning his attention to his crate, shoving it to a place by Xenovia's feet before standing up straight and looking into the man's eyes again, this time with an expectant expression, doing his best to ignore the presence of the towering woman next to him.
Last edited by Baylan Anvilhammer on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

If Baylan thought Xenovia was towering, he had obviously not met Muraco. The wolf kit took a place to the dwarves side. The man in uniform asked who they were and what they were doing here. Xenovia did the talking and the white haired kanthrop was fine with this. He could nearly taste the man's nervousness and it was a bit embarrassing. He grinned, quite amused when Xenovia asked if there was anything else in her usual strained, irritated tone. It was perhaps the first time he had seen it aimed at someone other than himself and it was fun to watch. When the dwarf spoke, Muraco looked clear over his head and turned, puzzled looking for the source of the voice. It was not until Baylan pushed forward the crate that he actually laid eyes on the man. Muraco's eyes went wide in surprise because the dwarf was easily the smallest full grown man he had seen in his life. A red beard and his burly build told the Kanthrop that he was indeed not a child.

He could ignore Xenovia all he liked but Muraco bent and inspected him closely. Scrutinizing Baylan's features, the wolf kit smiled as he stood up. Still unsatisfied he almost made to circle the dwarf but stopped and shook his head as he clapped his hand to the back of it. He looked to Xenovia and the others for their thoughts.

"Dig into...ah! Well, you are certainly the smallest bear warper I have ever seen! I never knew they sent you along...is what we are looking for buried?" asked Muraco with genuine interest. Baylan was tiny, it was not impossible for him to have stowed himself away where the wolf kit could not see him. The truth that Muraco had not noticed him until then was painfully obvious to all but him. The fact that the dwarf was not a bear warper, let alone a Kanthrop would soon become painfully obvious. Muraco smelled the dwarfs scent which was not one he recognized, but did it innocuously so as to not draw too much attention. In fact, he had not seen Baylan Anvilhammer around the village and the wolf kit began to feel as if he had spoken too soon. Too late to recall, the words stood and he looked with a pained expression to Scarlet and Kytani, hoping someone would drag him out of his error.
Last edited by Muraco on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Not this time pup...She thought as she watched Muraco's pleading expression, raised one eyebrow and shook her head.Not my problem if you are going to run your mouth and spout shit to what is quite obviously a dwarf. She couldn't spend her life sorting out his mistakes, he was going to have to live with the reprecussions and deal with it himself. It was like watching a dog wee on the rug... she just didn't have time to train it.

Scarlet breezed past the stricken Muraco towards the clerk that stood before Xenovia. It was painfully obvious what Xen was doing and Scarlet could scarcely believe that she was actually intimidating the first resident of the island that they had come across. In seconds she had positioned herself between Xen and the harbour master, smiling bashfully and guiding his gaze gently away from Muraco making a tit of himself. She smiled, she met his gaze and she slowly stepped about to try and make him face away from the Kanthrop and the dwarf before it all truely went to hell.

"I'm sorry, it has been a really long trip and my friend didn't agree with the waves and it has put her in a foul mood. I have never seen a soul so sea-sick, drained all the colour from her." She glanced up at Xen, hoping she would take the hint and head away from the boat. Perhaps casually stabbing Muraco as she did so.

"Let me help you with your...papers," she grimmaced as she wrapped her tongue around the unfamiliar word, "and we can see if you can't help me some? Ok?" She smiled and tilted her head in question. She was no great manipulator of people, but she was a woman. Some things were a given.

"For instance, I have a few questions about the Isle of Sierra... Are there any in the town that know the Jungle well? I'd like to get an idea of the land before we jumped in. A wise-man or woman would be useful too, I work with herbs myself and wouldnt want to mistake Arnica for some local poison..." She laughed aloud and glanced to the kanthrop, hoping they were making themselves scarce.
Last edited by Scarlet on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Kytani slipped in behind the group, not because she was scared or intimidated – far from it – but the Mother had selected Xenovia to lead and, until the young kit was told otherwise, Xenovia was her leader. She had her scarf down short tufts of hair sticking out all over in polite mockery of her leader's hair, and she strolled up – unarmed – next to Scarlet, pondering what to do next. The dwarf was a crude little bugger, in her eyes, brash and all too eager, and Kytani could do nothing but remember Culwago when she looked at him.

As the events with the guard unfolded, her arms did the opposite, one thin eyebrow arching upward as she wondered if the man was going to let them just march in or...if they would have to find other means.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Totally [i]EPIC[/i] avatar by Funky!!!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The harbor master dutifully wrote down all of their names and marked explorer down for their profession. At Xenovia's impatient question, he looked up and up into her golden eyes. There was a whole spiel about the appropriate taxes and duties on goods found in the forest but somehow he couldn't remember any of it under her gaze.

"No, no. Nothing else." He swallowed and he moved to one side to let them pass. Some of his composure returned when Scarlet and Baylan addressed him and the man was relieved to find himself back into his routine. "Well, for knowledge of jungle you can't do better than the Explorer's Guild. They, um, they don't especially like treasure hunters, though." He cautioned. "Think it should all go in a museum someplace. Still, they are the best."

At the second question, the man's brow furrowed and Scarlet could see him mouth the words, "Wise-woman?" Then light dawned in his eyes as she explained about herbs. "Oh, an apothecary! A healer." He clarified. "Well Jamail over at the Explorers isyour best bet there. You could try the mages of course." Even here the Kanthrop could see the tall spires poking incongruously above the jungle canopy. "Their Mender Abagail is a wonder when it comes to the healing arts."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

"No, no. Nothing else."

She almost smiled when the man swallowed apprehensively and moved out of her way. That was easy. Had she been the type, she might have cackled. Yet what happened next entirely negated whatever amusement she had gathered from that moment.

It took every ounce and droplet of Xenovia's minimal reserve of self-control to keep from embedding her fist in Muraco's jaw as he began to spout off about the tiny man. Why not just scream it to everyone, you idiot?! Woo look at us, we're Kanthrop! As it were, the incensed bird warper turned her head toward the wolf kit, her eyes nearly glowing with rage. Muraco could see her jaw working, see the effort it was taking for her resist simply screaming at him at the top of her lungs. Why, one of her eyes was even twitching! The message could only have been clearer if the words "I will kill you" had appeared in her golden orbs -- not that any of them could read.

Yet it was then that Scarlet brushed gently past her, and only Muraco could see the way she was suddenly distracted, her gaze magically unlocking from his and following Scarlet's path. Her eyebrow quirked just slightly, under that hood, as the feline warper began to talk to -- no, sweet talk the man whom had wasted valuable flickers of Xenovia's life. Scarlet tilted her head almost naively at the human, asking him cute little questions about the isle. Sure, those would have been handy things to know, but did she have to find them out that way?

Her gaze then traveled to Kytani, whom had shifted slightly but remained silent. She obviously understood that Xenovia was supposed to be the leader. Yet Scarlet had stepped in and taken over the situation. Did she think Xenovia was incompetent? Would she do this for the rest of their journey? How could Xenovia hope to lead if Scarlet was constantly undermining her? And how could she possibly confront Scarlet on the subject? That would require being alone with her. That was a big no-no.

Even without animal senses Xenovia's tension was almost tangible. She shot a glare at Scarlet before she turned and walked away. Fine, you can play leader for a little while. As she strode away from the group, she turned her head so that Muraco could see her lips clearly beneath her hood, mouthing slowly and carefully: I will kill you.

A good 20 feet away Xenovia paused, still reasonably within earshot of the others while being alone at the same time. And now she thought.

The Explorer's Guild sounded unlikely. They would have to come up with a good lie for what they were looking for and why, and even if it was found they might try to take it from them. Or...what if they already had it? Xen's gaze lifted from the ground and moved slowly over the waters as she thought. Maybe they had some sort of collection, or --

Where had the Dreamweaver gone? Realizing she had forgotten to watch carefully for his descent upon their arrival, Xenovia looked up into the sky, scouring it for his silhouette. If unsuccessful, she looked instead to the area around her, searching for any sign of him.
Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

Post by Baylan Anvilhammer »

Bear Warper? Is that some kind of insult? He didn't seem to be speaking in jest... and his expression. Bewilderment?
Baylan was readying himself to reply to Muraco, but, noticing the strange reactions of Scarlet and Xenovia and the look of helplessness on the tall man's face, he cut himself short.

Bear Warper. Whatever it means, I shall keep that word on the tip of my tongue in case I come across someone who can explain the term for me. What a strange group of people I have traveled with.

With that closing thought, Baylan shifted his attention from the golden-eyed gaggle and looked toward the town of Réalt. Temporarily abandoning his crate on the pier, the dwarf ultimately remembered to bow politely to Scarlet before he thundered off down the boardwalk in search of glory.
Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

"You were looking for me?"

Calraen approached Xenovia from the shadow of a nearby building. He was now in human form, a quite sizeable one at that. He still wore the dark cloak she had seen him wear before, and the "vibe" he gave off was similar, but he was more human now. More...there. The words he spoke actually came from his lips, his face partially visible under the dark hood, where previously she had only been able to see shadows. His hands and feet were gloved in leather and the bottom of his cloak appeared to be...wet.

"I believe your friends are over that way..." He said, pointing in the direction of the rest of the group.
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

OOC: Hope no one minds, went ahead since it's a convo..

Xenovia's head jerked slightly as a voice familiar-yet-different reached her ears, rather than invading her mind. Turning to face the Dreamweaver, she almost asked him why on Ursa he was out in the open, ere she realized that he was in a humanoid form. Of course, I guess it makes sense that the Dreamweavers are also Kanthrop. He was dressed much the same as she, cloaked with gloves and boots, and for a moment she wondered at the hem of his cloak. Why was it wet?

Looking at as much of his face as she could, Xenovia was silent for a few flickers. She had planned on finding him, not speaking to him. What did she say now?

"I believe your friends are over that way..."

What's that supposed to mean? Well, she wasn't about to correct him and tell him she had no friends. Instead, she ignored the statement, speaking softly so that it would not be easy for her companions to hear her. "Are you coming with us, or are you just going to follow us the whole way?" It didn't occur to her that it might look a little strange to her companions: Xenovia was conversing with an unknown hooded figure whom had pointed at them, and she wasn't acting aggressive or snappy. Usually she reserved this type of behavior for the Kanthan, or at least someone much older than she.
Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

"Are you coming with us, or are you just going to follow us the whole way?"

Calraen had lived among the Goldenback tribe for many yahren. Ever since it was first founded within the confines of his old home. During those yahren he had seen many of the Kanthrop grow up, leave, send their children back, or stay and die of old age. Xenovia however was a bit of a mystery to him. At some point he had stopped caring about the thoughts of every single Kanthrop on his island and visiting dreams had become a rarity. During the period in which she had held the Bane, he had gotten to know her a bit though, her energy intermingling with the weapon for every time she used it.

He had half expected her to start shouting at him.

"Yes, it is good to meet you too. My name is Calraen. You are called Xenovia if I'm not mistaken?" His words were hollow and cold. He had little patience for the exuberant youth these kit displayed, nor did he have to stand for lack of courtesy. She owed him at least a proper introduction.
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Kytani had watched the goings-on with mute interest, her eyes narrowing as Muraco made his little comment about Kanthrops, obviously not noting the very human-ish eyes that the dwarf bore, vastly different from those of the Kanthrop – even those among them with more human-looking eyes than others. “Your foot must taste pretty damned spectacular, Muraco...” she uttered as she stepped past him smoothly. “Seems like every time I am within earshot, you are putting it in your mouth in some way or another.” With that thought, she perched an eyebrow, almost challengingly, at her fellow kit, the slowly receding seasickness adding an edge to her words which was typically not there otherwise.

“What is next? Want to climb to the top of one of those towers and shout it out to the whole island in case anyone missed it?”, she asked, pointing at the university spires. And then that was it – one silent final jab of her gaze and then her bright eyes moved elsewhere, scanning the new land quickly as she moved further inland, leaving Scarlet and Muraco to their own devices and Xenovia to her own company, her inner animal wanting to catch a glimpse of what lay ahead.

Jungle...wilderness despite the structures..., she thought calmly as she crouched along the roadside. It almost seems scarier without the familiar call of Cryers... She looked back at Scarlet, Muraco, Xenovia, and the stranger as she compared them to what lay beyond. Of the four, Xenovia had been chosen by Earth Mother to choose who went – seemingly to lead them on – but the girl was so wrapped up in her own thoughts and anger at times that Kytani wondered if the rest of the group would be guessing the whole way, facing Xenovia's wrath if they guessed incorrectly. Muraco was very much like his inner animal – quick to bark, unaware that his vocal slips could searve as more of a welcoming beacon to trouble rather than a warning for it to stay at bay. Scarlet was strong in her own right, but still seemed to be a bit unsure of herself – at least as far as Kytani could tell – and what had been with the attempted rutting with that man? It was so brash and uncharacteristic of her packmate.

That left Kytani looking at herself and the stranger, her xenophobia setting in. She didn't care how well this stranger polished Xenovia's ass or offered to guide them, he wasn't one of them – one of the chosen at least – and could, by default, not be trusted.

That left Kytani, herself – not a power player or born leader in her own right, but – at least in her own eyes – the only one who could lead them where they needed to go with a level head. But now is not the time..., she mused, her eyes peering into the trees. Perhaps I will be wrong...
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Totally [i]EPIC[/i] avatar by Funky!!!
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet thanked the Harbour master and nodded to Baylan as he strode off into the town proper. She watched him leave and silently prayed good success on his hunt, if it was ever a chase he could finish.

Her good mood was, however, shattered by the icy stare awarded by Xenovia. Confusion met betrayal as she gazed back completely stunned by Xen's expression. Had she done something wrong? Had she handled the harbour master badly? Certainly, she had taken a different route to Xen. A soft word took less effort and burned no bridges, a threat of force might need fulfilling and you would have to be some form of retard to inflict any sort of violence here with so many witnesses and potentially guards. Even Muraco had better sense than that. Jail time would slow their progress plenty. If this town even had jails. Kanthrop had their own quick ways to dispose of trouble-makers and frontiers could be similarly brutal places. In any case, she had a potential direction for their hunt, had averted any undue attention and removed an irritating clerk from Xen's path quickly and quietly. Scarlet honestly had no idea what she had done wrong. This was how a pack worked... wasn't it?

She looked confused over to Kytani who had strolled away, and even to Muraco who had still not recovered from his verbal shitting at Baylan. Was this how it was going to be? Muraco doing his best to commit suicide-by-Xen, Scarlet apparently screwing up in her own special way and Kytani slipping in bitter comments.

Scarlet sighed. They were all going to die.

She sucked in a big breath and looked over to Xen. Her heart skipped a beat as she saw her conversing with a massive hooded stranger. She seemed to be on familiar terms, not the same threatening character who had stepped off the boat and Scarlet's eyes narrowed as she eyed the newcomer with suspicion. Slowly she began to stalk towards the pair, beckoning Muraco to follow with a silent gesture whilst hoping he would pick up on her implicit stealth. Quietly she tasted the air for scents, there was something odd about this figure. Something dangerous.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

OOC: Just a summary post to tie this thread to this one.

"Foolish whelp!"

Several flickers after Scarlet decided to stalk toward Xenovia and the hooded figure, a male voice yelled from behind that hood as a gloved hand shot out to strike her across the face. She barely dodged it, her hood falling back and exposing her strange complexion, her body still for a few flickers as he continued to yell at her.

"They taught me not to be a fool!"

Xenovia was frantic with rage, that much was easy to tell even for those who could not see auras, especially when she tore the cloak from around her body. Her kin would recognize that she was simply allowing herself freer movement. Suddenly, she struck out at the hooded figure in mid-sentence -- yet Scarlet and those looking on saw him accept her hit without even trying to dodge.

What on Ursa was going on?

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”