Pax: Festival Field - ET, 30 Jygust (open)

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Pax: Festival Field - ET, 30 Jygust (open)

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

(OOC: If you wish to visit the festival when you are ready to progress to even’tide, please post here – there is much to see and do :wink: )

Festival Field

To the rear of the main barracks and newly established nobles’ guest quarters is a large open area of grassland interspersed with small rocky outcrops. During early Jygust, the area had been cordoned off as preparations to turn it into the main arena for Pax’s summer festival began to take shape. At the northern end of the field, a large stage had been constructed topped by a bright blue and yellow awning. Behind the stage was a small tented area set aside for the performers to ready themselves. To one side of the stage a marquee had been erected to provide facilities for visiting dignitaries. In front of the stage a few benches had been placed for those wishing to watch the performance, although most were expected to stand or sit on one of the nearby rock mounds. Arranged around the edge of the field were a number of stalls that would provide entertainment, sell food, drink and other goods.

***********************************************************************************

At the start of even’tide 30th Jygust, the festival field was finally thrown open and a large number of local citizens poured into the arena to grab a seat for the musical concert, visit the foodstalls, watch the other entertainment on offer or chance their luck at one of the many games scattered around the field. The games on offer included a lucky dip, an arm wrestling competition, various card games and dagger throwing. The entertainment included a fortune teller’s tent, a juggling show and a snake charmer.

A good number of guards were spread around the perimeter of the field and several also guarded the entrance to the nobles’ area. Several servants were standing within the nobles area, ready to supply wine and food to those entitled to enter the area.
Last edited by Guido Cercatoro on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"A fortuneteller?" Elaine could not help but laugh. It was such a strange idea to actually go to a festival. The last one had brought her husband a winner's title, together with a good amount of trouble. Perhaps this time a bit of music and laughter would bring some diversity to the thoughts going around in her head. There was much to contemplate as she did not feel any closer to the answers than she had before learning about the book.

Her soft brown skirts were twirling around her legs. With a practiced gesture the young woman kicked the cloth up just enough to loosen it up again. The trick was to do it when the young pup wasn't paying attention, or she'd be trying to seperate her clothes from his teeth for a while!

"Come on then. You can tell me what the play was about later on. Let's get over there before it really gets crowded." The blind woman tugged Ulder's arm, convincing him to lead her to the fortuneteller's tent. At worst it would be a fun bit of entertainment. If she was really lucky, the city might help her along another step again.

"Are there many familiar faces yet?" It was becoming an easy habit, relying on the man's visual observations while she kept an ear out for anything beneath the surface.
Last edited by Elaine on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder did one last check on the men and women of the Swordmark before joining his beloved Elaine for some fun at the festival. They were all in place and ready, so he felt confident that if anything happened while the festival was in progress, they could react quickly.

He smiled and laughed as Elaine marveled at the sights and attractions of the festival as he described them to her.

"One fortuneteller coming up!" He told her playfully as he lead her across the field towards the soothsayer's tent.

"This ought to be fun. Kolter and I went to see a fortune teller once when we were little. She told us we'd be rich and famous throughout the lands. She had a crystal ball and Kolter accidentally kicked the table leg and it rolled away. I can still see that gypsy chasing after it with her skirts bunched up in one hand. "

A wistful smile crossed his face before his smile disappeared for a moment. Memories of his brother would always bring him pain, but between his incredible wife and the playful dog that romped and followed them, the sadness and hurt passed quickly. The love of a good woman and the devotion of a faithful dog cured many of the world's ails.

They approached the stall, and waited their turn.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

OOC: Hey didn’t think I would actually get PC customer’s! Welcome to the great magnificent diviner Torc Blackfoot! Also, I ask for forgiveness in all manners of grammar.

Torc had several boys set up the tent and paint the Diviner’s Eye on the side of the tent. The boys were given a few banner for the festival and two of the light charms so that they could use them during the festival. Torc had several chairs and a round table brought into the tent and then had simple white linen placed over the wooden table. On the grassy floor other poles and even more homespun line rested.

Torc had set up the tent too feel closer to the community. As a Hedgemage, he felt it was one of his duties to listen to problems, worries, and pains. The festival and soothsayer tent was a great way to find out about what were peoples real concerns. He had several boys gather flat river rocks so that he could paint Runes on them. He painted as many general runes that he could. Several runes; man, woman, child, fortune, death, love, change, and so on, Torc had made duplicates. He placed them in a leather sack and paint three runes of past, present, and future over and over on it.

Torc had done so to make his divination all the more real looking. For the most part he told people messages of hope and cheer. He wanted to relieve tensions and give the glimmer of light. He only charge two banner for each reading, and as he listen to a woman go on about her son getting into trouble, he smiled and nodded. Boy’s always sought trouble that was their way, the problem that she described was that she didn’t understand how to direct it.

So as Torc had the woman take out stones he asked small questions about her son. Finally, as the last stone was pulled, he put on a little show and spoke in his mage’s voice. “Your son seeks change from your family. Start introducing him to new craftsmen, but provide him with tasks prior to his meeting with them. For I see that he will choose a craft which will make secure him a family and help provide for you in the future.” Torc then shuddered and looked at the woman. He took a few more burns to ease her fears and help her out of the tent. Torc then smiled and waved the woman on her way.

Torc saw the next couple and his eye brows shot up in surprise, for it wasn’t the blind woman that surprised him that much it was the man she was with. Earlier that day he had seen the man help carry the injured fellow out of Nether’s Gate. Torc tried to recover as quickly as he could. Speaking in a friendly manner, Torc said, “Please come in, but before you do make sure you wish to know your own future. For any question that you have, I can attempt to answer for two banner. Just remember the language of the world is old and wrought with riddles, and answers can lead to more questions.” After speaking Torc made a flourished gesture with his hands and held the tent flap open for the couple.
Avatar thanks to http://www.kiriko-moth.com or Kirko.

Official Member of DMD club since 2005!

Help choose Torc's Familiar!
https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?p=221017#221017
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

ooc
Yeay! Torc as bonus!

ic
Elaine squeezed Ulder's hand. "Well, she was right in a way....you did get quite the name, and not just because of that tournament back in the Citadel." She laughed at the picture her husband painted.

Meanwhile inside some woman was being told the usual. Of course it was easy to tell people what they really wanted to hear, but that was part of the sport of visiting a fortuneteller: giggling up front, asking a stupid question and getting a general answer back.

"Hmm, now what to ask.." The blind woman mumbled. "I could be simply asking about the city of course, but from the sound of it this is a more personally minded teller. So...what do we want to know, love? Moving to another place?"

She might be blind, she was no fool. There was unrest in the air once again, and if it wasn't for her promise to the city, the woman might have pushed a little further. Yet as it was, it was once again her fault that they were bound to a place for at least the coming time. She could only hope Ulder did the things he needed to do.

"Good tide." The Achadhiel smiled at the voice from within. "Have no fear. I know the ancient rules that binds the fortunetellers." A low chuckle followed. "Let's see what you can tell us for these banners then..."

She waited a moment to find out if Ulder had a question to ask. It would be fun to listen for a moment.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder smiled warmly at Elaine's words. Once, he had been wracked with grief and guilt about how he had forever earned his reputation. He once feared he would be remembered far more into the future for the downfall of the Purple Guard, than for defeating and destroying the Changer. It was something he had come to accept either way, and this day, somewhat far removed and past such anxiety he took take the compliment in the spirit of which she intended it.

He kissed her softly on the forehead to thank her as they waited for the person in front of them to receive their augury, and as he turned his attention to the soothsayer himself, he recognized the Adhiel that had healed Brytan's man, and saved his life.

For a moment, he paused, unsure what to say to the man, or in response to Elaine's question. He settled on the latter, knowing full well that what the man had done had been true magic, which gave the former Captain a certain sense of both confidence and dread in hearing his divination.

While looking directly at the mage, who's name he still did not know, Ulder answered his wife and asked a question of his own.

"Aye, I have a question in addition to hearing about moving to a new place. I want to know if magic is real and can we expect it to always be working in our lives."

There was hidden double meaning there, and Ulder wanted to see how the man responded as he placed two more banners on the table.

Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc couldn’t help but smile as the woman giggled and overall bubbled her question. It was nice to know that whatever answer he was going to give the woman that she would laugh and make her own future, that was rare in itself. However, as the man asked his question Torc’s face change. So the man thought he knew something! Torc was tempt to answer his question with giving a vision of the man’s own future to him. Magick then would be forever part of the couple life, yet even if the question demanded an answer Torc looked at the woman and smiled. She was ready for an easy answer, and one to forget.

“Ah, must be my lucky day! A yes or no question and another that does not require my foresight! Well my Lady, if you don’t mind I believe I will answer your husband’s question first.” Turning Torc started to walk over to the linen and posts on the floor of the tent. “What is real sir? Is something real if you can touch it, taste it, smell it, or see it? When I was in the World’s Mouth, the guild I belonged to argued that the world around us is just a pale illusion compared to the Aether, and Magick was nothing more than movement and manipulation of that real world.” Torc began to look through the pile in which he found leather bundle of charms. Picking a small stick with runes and a piece of red string on top he stood back up.

“We perform Magick just by moving and breathing. As I take in the energy named Air, my body drinks from it and then releases used energies back into it. Every step we take, everything we build is working Magick, it’s only when we stop believing that a child’s laugh loses meaning. Now for your proof, please step back the discharge is quite breathtaking.” Torc pointed his hand and stick toward a wall.

Torc broke the stick and as he did so the light charm discharged. Red, yellow, green, and blue lights began to flicker and crackle as the light energy moved and snapped back the normal light in the tent. Thankfully it was just a simple illusion and really had no heat attached to it. He smiled at the small display; it was pretty and had made many children smile. It helped the children see that wonder was still in the world and that everything even magick wasn’t to be afraid of.

“I take it that I have earned the two banner fairly, and as we search for your wife’s answer, if you wish another question I will permit it.”

Torc placed the broken stick off to the side and picked up his sack of stones. He moved his hands around the outside of the bag making gestures as if they had meaning. Putting the bag in front of the woman, he smiled it was all for show but for a blind woman his gestures meant nothing. “I will now intone Mystic words used long ago. Afterwards place your hand into the bag and feel around till a stone feels like it is the one that wants to come out! Of course that assumes you still wish to know the answer to your question?”

Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

It wasn't exactly that she had been fooling herself, nor had it anything to do with a particular distrust or even a touch of paranoia after their experiences in the political games of the Citadel. Yet Elaine could not escape the notion that although the answer was as frivolous as could be expected for two banners, something else was brewing under the surface.

The woman tilted her head, hearing the undercurrents in her husband's question. It was very interesting to hear the short -shocked?- silence in the fortuneteller's answer before his demeanour seemed to change to a professional one.

It was tempting to comment, even if it would be easier to just smile and accept it.

And when did I ever 'just accept it'? The Achadhiel chuckled softly. Even if no actual words had been spoken, the shifting in stance and emotion told her quite enough. Of course she'd have to fill in a few blanks, but that had never stopped her before.

The lightshow was lost on her, although the crackling and the sudden hint of firey scent got her on her guard.

"Yes, good sir, your answer suffices for two banners. Yet I would be equally interested in the answer to the unasked question...the one you seemed to pick up on so easily, yet discarded with equal flexibility?"

In the meantime she slowly extended a hand towards the sounds of the bag Torc was holding in front of her. If he'd allow it, she would take one and hold it in a closed fist until his first answer had been given.

It was a little gamble and it was not subtle. In fact, her uncle had been more subtle with his anvil at times. But the man's reaction would tell her a lot about him. Since Ulder's queary had been far from innocent, this had to be one of those he encountered before....and possibly approached about his plans.
Last edited by Elaine on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder blinked at the demonstration given by the soothsayer. It was an impressive display, and one likely to garner the fortune teller a great deal more money and attention during the festival. No doubt the vague nature of the answer was more than enough to satisfy most of the other festival goers who were merely looking for a laugh and something to talk about. But Ulder was something of a casual student of philosophy and theology, not to mention looking for more than just a happy little answer to his not so happy little question, so he reached into the coin purse at his belt, and withdrew a gold crown for the fortune teller. He pushed it over the table surface next to their other coins purposefully.

As Elaine reached for the fortune teller's bag, he responded to his permission of another question.

"Yes I do have another question for you, and I think I have paid for it fairly now."

"By its definition and nature, illusion portrays a false reality, yet it must be real for it to fool it's target, making illusion real and the truth false at the same time. So if we view an illusion, what we are seeing is real, meaning the illusion itself, but that same illusion's purpose is to make us think what we are seeing is false, so can we ever know which is the real illusion?"

He didn't let the fortune teller ponder his somewhat rhetorical queston for too long before continuing.

"While at the same time, you say that everything we build is magic, and that if we cease to believe in it, it fails. Which brings me to my long awaited question. Is freedom real? Does it exist in this world or perhaps only in the hearts of the creatures that inhabit it?"

He watched Elaine's hand reach out for the bag, assuming the mage would no doubt have another simple trick for her, yet would be thinking about how best to respond.

Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc sighed as the talk continued, Torc wanted the crown badly but couldn’t fairly take it. Softly Torc brought up his hand and touched the woman’s. “Please sit the both of you, the answer will not come from any of the rocks in the bag, nor will it be short.” He thought the man would help his wife, so Torc choose to sit down with out offering.

“Firstly, I can only take the first two banner, since you both agree that I have given a fair answer for the price. As for the other coin…” A small look of want crossed Torc’s face. He could feel himself shift slightly in the chair, while his lips moisten at the thought of all that money and what it could do for his people. “I am afraid I can not accept it. Your question sir has a deeper root then any mediation or book has ever answered… Do we have free will?”

Torc took another long pause while he felt his hands play softly on the table. “You see in order to even come close to explaining what I believe and how it relates to your question I must speak about myself. Close to a yarhen ago, I started working at one of the Magick Guilds of the World’s Mouth. I worked as a servant to a Master, and while most of my duties were that of a humble manservant, I began to explore my own magickal potential. As the days continued I began to have suspicions that my Master had… evil designs for me and many others. Finally, my suspicions were proven true. In order to protect me and my weak magickal skills a ward of great strength was wrapped around me, but in the end right before the final confrontation I was visited on by a powerful being. I suppose the remnant of his gender will have to do… He was called the Lich of the Gibbets. Through my studies I had learned that the Church of the One had coined that name, when really he was the Oracle of the Gibbets and previously the last Archmage Diviner.”

“He opened a portal for me and sent me across the ocean to Pan’s Isle. From that point on, I have questioned everything in my life as whether I had a choice in it or not. After the war was done, I was free to go home from my pressed service, but decided that the path of my Guild was not the path I was to follow. For you see the Oracle turned my vision of time and space into something that gnawed at me. I choose to become a diviner, just like the Oracle, but instead of allowing fate and destiny to guide my vision… I saw that time allowed for all possibilities, yet it was fate that put time into nothing but gears and pulleys.”

“Those gear and pulleys force us to make the same mistakes. It forces the same things to happen again and again. It dawned on me to follow a different path, to some diviners it is called the Golden Path. As we move through space and time, even if it is only in my short lifespan, we of the Golden Path choose to see mistakes of the past to learn from then and then free us from repeating them thus giving us more choices and freedom in the future.”

“It sounds idealistic, I know, but it allows me to believe that I have freedom in my choices and that by taking off the chains of the past I can be better. Hence the very reason why I still remain in Pax. So the answer to free will is that you have to believe in it and do your best to make it real even if it is an illusion. I have prayed, mediated, read, and debated yet in the end no answer will ever be sufficient, likewise any answer I give you can be easily dismissed, for it all rests in belief.”

Torc now focused on the blind woman.

“So now down to the woman’s question and its consequences… Madam, the way you have phrased the question poses many problems, for me and the answer that will be given. You asked whether you will move or stay in this city? If I answer this statement I heavily rely on fate to answer. Which means for good or ill, you will get an answer that forces you to be fates puppets and disregards your own happiness. A better question is, Will you have a better chance to be happier if you stay or leave? Then as I search the future I will look for the most possible timelines in which only you are happy, not your mate. This will drain a great deal of energy from me but it will allow me to give you more specific answer. If we change the question further to, Where will mate and myself find the most happiness? I can narrow the search even more and find a road to that path.”

“However, if you both choose to believe in my divination than we create an… anchor… no… a rock in the stream of time. As both of you decide to secure your greatest happiness at that place and time, you will ignore other possibilities allowing fate to control your life. Which fate may now decide that it brought about that happiness another round of turmoil will be in your future.”

“Another problem is that your question assumes only your happiness. Even if I include the happiness of your family, no where does the question care about friends or generally people. What if the happiest place you could be, would require the death of many people? What if it pulled you from a path that though it required suffering it would give many others the chance for happiness?”

“In the end I give out silly answers, because looking into the future and creating a rock in its path, requires too much energy and no one is worth the price to us all. Does that mean I don’t look into the future?”

“Nay, I look for those rocks that fate has created and try to stir as many as I can through the waters. True divination requires planning and influence to help effect the outcome of the gears of time. By removing only one rock in the pattern of time, I can make sure that mistakes and unnecessary deaths do not occur.”

Torc finally released the tension in his hands and feet. A small knuckle cracked and Torc looked back at them. He was at a lost for words, he had been truthful and honest, but would that mean anything? They had the choice to badger him again with unanswerable questions.

“May I ask a question, is knowing the future worth any price to you? When I looked at a path had I decided to do one thing different… In a flicker I saw everything I had lost. I could had a wife and children by now. I would have a farm outside the city walls, in which my wife and I would struggle for food, but be forever happy. I could be holding a baby girl right now and laugh as my two sons played in the farm house. I have lost so much to be a mage and a diviner that it is the only thing left.” Softly a small tear began to form at Torc left eye. “So before you ask for a true divination, what price are you truly willing to give up?”
Last edited by Torc Blackfoot on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine shook her head. The fortuneteller was easily swayed into revealing more than just his fortunes. She was not entirely sure if his answer was what Ulder had been hoping for, but at least it showed an openness and honesty that her husband appreciated, that she knew.

"My question was one I would pose to any fortuneteller, seeing how most of them tell you there is a move ahead when clearly a dark, handsome stranger would make no impression." She chuckled as she responded to Ulder's touch.

"Have no fear, good sir. I would not dare put my responsibilities on your shoulders. My question is of no consequence, nor does the answer interest me. Whether I stay or go will be revealed in it's own time."

The blind woman shifted a little, unhooking a seem of her dress from the heel. "I believe in strands of time...knots of possibilities...yet the outcome is still up to us. To know those knots one only has to look inside oneself. Water has a way of levelling itself, good sir, whether you remove the rock...or not..."

She tilted her head, not wishing to sound like she was giving a lecture. "A true diviniation holds nothing I wish to know beforehand." She admitted finally. "I will find the future when it finds me. I will make my choices based on the best of my knowledge and that of those good people around me. I will move through life, searching for the pattern I wish to pursue instead of searching for false security in words that were knit into one moment in time."

It sounded strange, even to her own ears. Yet how was she to convey her unshakable belief that life simply was about movement? Not about setting rocksteady and still patterns, but about moving with them, searching, learning, changing and moving ahead again.

"As such I do not envy you your gift, good sir. Not at all. I cannot imagine how it must feel to be...everywhere and everywhen. How...painful to always feel what one is missing, when life would be such a beauty when there was more attention for the things one caught. If you feel called to speak about me or my husband, you are free to do so and I would pay accordingly. But please, do not feel forced because I stepped in here with no more notion than the average faire-goer."

Elaine smiled apologetically.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder sat as he was bidden, making sure Elaine found her seat safely as he gave her an extra moment to make herself comfortable. As the soothsayer began to relate his tale, Ulder found himself engrossed in the man's story, and his viewpoint. In the end, he knew with a certainty that this was Torc, the Mage he had heard about from Savarak.

Well now... That seems to have struck a nerve...

Ulder laced his fingers together and set his hands on the table casually, his fingers rested near the gold crown that lay untouched on the table's surface. He wanted to convey both a sincerity and a sense of levity after the Mage had expressed more than he ever could have expected.

"Sir, I think we may have got ourselves off in a direction perhaps none of us could have anticipated. Forgive me. I shall bear the brunt of the responsibility for this serious and sober topic, when all you wanted to do was earn a few coins and entertain some townspeople. It is my fault. I was attempting to engage in a playful debate, and it was taken as something much more serious. As my wife as done an eloquent job of explaining, we came expecting tricks and parlor magic, and what we found was a thoughtful, intelligent response to questions meant to simply make you, as the diviner, try a little harder to answer rather than the myriad of simple questions you are likely to face today. It was not intended as a test, it was merely our way of trying to be different and humorous."

Ulder cleared his throat, and continued.

"But since the topic has been broached, and since we are having more than a simple game of pulling colored stones out of a bag, or reading tea leaves, I'll add my thoughts. When I asked of freedom, I was referring to the people of this town. These are people free to live thier lives, pursue their own goals and dreams, and seek out whatever it is that makes them happy. But, they would not be pursuing those ends here, in Pax, without being forced to come here at the mandate and order of a King. Pax may look like many other towns throughout the Kingdom, but because these people were forced to live here because of their beliefs, it is little more than a prison. A cage with a pretty velvet pillow is still a cage if you get my point."

"So was it their destiny to be forced to live here? Was it fate that lead them to choose a different God than the One the King worshipped? Maybe you can see that from the Golden Path. Perhaps that vantage has a clarity of perspective that I cannot share, and nor could I ever expect an answer to such lofty questions. But what I can expect is that answer lies within each of these souls, and as you said, live in their beliefs. You speak of striking off chains and having a freedom in your choices and it is that very thing that brings me to why my wife and I are here."

Ulder glanced over at Elaine and then back to the mage. As he spoke, he looked at him intently, carefully gauging his reaction.

"I am Ulder Synkaaros and this is my wife Elaine. We came to Pax Balthasar because there was a need in us, and those who came with us, to strike of chains of imprisonment and persecution, and free this town, and perhaps the entire Kingdom from the mandate of a dead King. I will measure my idealism against yours any day sir. For what could be much more idealistic than standing up for religious freedoms when that very thought is both foreign and illegal to the Kingdom and those who govern it? Simply stated, we came here to free those imprisoned here. Forcing these townsfolk to live and struggle here is wrong, and goes against the wishes and blessings of the many Gods that are worshiped here. You have seen true magic sir. You have performed true magic and, by your own words, seek a path of enlightenment and understanding."

"I do not know what God or Gods you keep to sir. That question is irrelevant to us and will remain unasked. But I will pose the question of your participation and complicity in this town sir. Will you stand by and let it continue, or will you allow others to seek the Golden Path as well?"

Instead of giving the Mage a chance to answer yet another rhetorical question or respond, Ulder unlocked his fingers and hands and placed his index finger on the gold coin to emphasize his point. He picked up the coin and placed it in the Mage's hand very slowly and deliberately.

He smiled warmly, a stark contrast to the seriousness of the question he had posed.

"That is yours." He said, referring to the gold. "I give it freely not to buy your aid, or bribe you into cooperation, but as a true and honest reward for the aid and service you render to the people of Pax Balthasar. But it comes with a price. The price of information you may or may not wish to hear. After tonight, this town will be free. The Pax Honestus will be ordered to stand down, and return to King's Court. My people, along with Savarak's men, will be standing in their stead to ensure the safety and security of the townspeople. Much like the gray cloaks you helped to drive off, there are forces at work that are conspiring to control this place. There may be war coming to these streets. Perhaps it is the gears and pulleys of repeating history, or perhaps it is us standing together to erase the mistakes of the past, but we wish everyone to have the same choices and freedoms for their own futures."

Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

Torc listened to the blind woman smile and feeling generally better as she spoke her mind. He laughed a little with her comment of finding someone she loved a tall dark stranger, and with her closing statement he felt that the burden of the future would not be needed tonight. A light smile and cheer came to him.

Then Torc began to listen to the man, a man named Ulder, and as Ulder continued to talk shock, horror, defeat, and lost came to Torc’s face. By the end of Ulder’s speech and the pressing of the coin in his hand Torc felt burden with the lives of the town upon his back.

Torc lifted up the coin so that he could look at it. A burn must have passed in dead silence, until finally Torc spoke. The way he spoke was as if to the air for his focus was on the coin and emotions drained away to show the mudbank of his soul.

“Had I know that it would all start with a glint of gold, I would have prepared better. No wonder the land has not spoken, the millstone of time grinds closer. Ah Selderine! As you brought back the past you brought with it the knot of time. Now I know that with the lost of the guard, the town stands one step closer to being destoried, will there be enough time? Will my soul be caught in the great barrier weave? Will I be doomed to live with all others until time once again finds someone to build another town here?”

Torc turned the coin in his hands, and without taking his eyes off it he spoke, “Ulder Synkaaros, I had my plan for this town’s freedom. Had I but a few hundred yarhen this town would become like an economic power. Able to force freedom from the kingdom, but the mere fact that it was the only reliable source of iron and stone left to the kingdom. Brie had already signed trade agreements and we stood at the birth of freedom in a town that would rival the economic power of the Mouth. All I needed was time. Yet time here in this city is not what it seems… Nay, time folds and wraps itself forever more here. So perhaps I was naïve to be freedom could come without blood. The city had already burnt down once, conflict will surely do so again. Whatever power greedy baron or lord now has the excuse to come to this town and squash the pagan rebellion.”

Torc felt so tried, “This is what your coin has bought us, Ulder, it has bought us conflict that will not be ignored. Blood and fire will come to this city and none will survive unless people choose to move the millstone from the kernal’s of their lives.” Torc began to shiver, he had become so cold.

“Yet in the end, it was always headed this way. Blood and fire.” Torc remembered the vision of the burning city of Selderine. “I suppose you have heard the rumors of an armed force? And I suppose there is mage amongst them… Otherwise there would not be enough fire to destroy the town…”

Torc stopped talking for the moment, closing his eyes he then moved the coin to the table. “Keep your coin Ulder and buy supplies that I will need to make a few great weaves. I will need two great focuses assembled. The first, using a few of your men clear a section around the stone cube to construct four large bonfires. They must be placed in a square and far enough apart that men can fuel the fire if needed but in the center of the fires a great amount of heat must be generated. If you can center it around a sword that appears to be buried in the stone yard that would be preferred.” Torc shivered at the thought of the weave that had come to him. He knew that he was about to copy the mended weave that the gray robed priestess and his own weave had formed. However this time it would be imbued in an acorn that when shot over the heads of the enemy a great fire would rain down on them. It would fulfill the prophesy of the town that fire would be used; only it would be used on the enemy instead of the city.

“The second focus that needs to be created will sound odd… but I will need one of your men who is good with knots to tie as much rope into a five finger Monkey’s Paw. In the end the knotted ball should be no bigger than something you can hold in one of your hands.” The focus was for a form of counter spelling not practiced since… Torc did not know when it was last practiced. He had read it in Archmage Maximillian’s book on divination and always feared it was out of his understanding and strength to cast, but either he would become a master of his art, or die in a mage’s duel… The stuff of stories.

Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Just like that she was out of the conversation.

Curious how people can do that. Elaine pondered. Of course it was her own problem for not getting up to date with recent events any more than it touched her own little quest. Yet she could not escape the feeling that it might be better if Torc and Ulder had some time alone.

Then again, as long as they don't shoo me away, I might as well GET acquainted with current affairs and listen.

She relaxed in the chair, keeping her staff rolling between her hands.

ooc
Very sorry for keeping it short. I hope to be more creative in a while.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

His hand rested comfortably and familiarly in the small of Elaine's back as the mage spoke. It seemed that Torc knew a great deal about the mystery that Elaine and some others were trying to solve. Once again the former Captain was realizing that others were after their same goals, but the communication had been non-existent between the two groups, and thus there were things that could have been shared a long time ago, and everyone could have been more efficient and working together to achieve those goals. Once again he found that too many were striking off on their own and trying to do too much alone. His mentor, Xyale, had taught him well. This place, and many others in the West needed a true leader to gather everyone together, to rally the people, and get all their ships sailing in the right direction.

This is what happens to a land without a King...

"I can see and sense that your intentions are well meaning sir. I can see that you want to build this town into a formidable place and power, and I have no issue with that, nor do I wish something different for the people of Pax Balthasar, or Selderine, or whatever the future of this town has in store. But there is one thing that you have the benefit of that other men do not, and its the one thing that will bring men here to fight if that is the destiny of this place. That one thing is time."

"Men have short lives, and it gives them long ambitions. Perhaps you are right, perhaps in a few hundred yahren, this place will become the shining place you imagine. But men do not live for the future. They live for the now and in their days here, they crave power and influence. Pax is situated well, has a great deal to offer strategically. It is far removed and distant from other places and the other Border Estates, and thus has a sense of freedom and independence. Being new, it has vast, untapped resources, and those resources bring wealth and power, and so like a moth to a flame, they will come for it. You might be able to forge Pax into your vision, but you would never be able to do so without a fight. That's why we are here. Pax's future, the future you want for it, can only come if it is free and unfettered. It must be able to live and breathe on it's own. Even a child stands as an adult eventually. It must be able to govern itself, and choose its own future if it is to have a future at all."

Ulder's hand traveled up and down Elaine's back, gently caressing her back as he spoke. It was a loving touch between a man and his wife. It was a difficult topic, but he silently touched her to demonstrate that at the very least, they would face it together.

"My father taught me to prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Perhaps fire and blood are coming. But there are those with us, that will be standing strong to save and protect as many as we can. Just as you want to build a shining city here without bloodshed, our desire for protecting those here is equally as strong. When the Pax Honestus stand down and leave, there are many souls prepared to step in and guard and protect this place. There will be those that want to control Pax, but perhaps if we show them that we will stand against them, and that we are determined not to let them have their way, they will leave Pax in peace. I have seen many battles sir, and battle is a fickle and strange beast. There are times when it lives and feeds of its own accord, and sometimes it fizzles and dies without so much as a whimper. Don't assume many have to die for this place to live. This is as much a contest of ideas as any battle of swords, and many will see the truth and beauty in the ideal of peace and freedom and accept it as the best road to travel."

Ulder chuckled at the battle they seemed to be having over the gold piece. As Torc spoke of the things he would need, Ulder shook his head in mild protest.

"We are simple soldiers sir. Clearing brush and dirt and tying knots are not in our purview, nor are preparing for rituals and works of magick we know nothing about. My men are already in positions to protect and defend the town from attack. I know next to nothing of your art, but I do know for something elaborate like you seem to have in mind, it takes time and the people in the Swordmark are standing at post, ready to give you the time you need. With their lives if need be. I know you carry a great deal of respect and influence here sir. If you need these things done, then I imagine you have only but to ask some of the people you've assisted. If you won't take coin as payment, then perhaps you will accept compensation in the form of the acts and deed you need. Trust in the people sir. They will surprise you in how they are willing to help, especially when you have already done them a kindness."

Ulder stood, and assisted Elaine to her feet if she gestured she needed it, his hand remained a steady presence in the small of her back. He left the gold untouched for Torc, he was determined to win that contest nearly as much as any other that might come.

"You sound as if you have seen visions of fire and blood. You sound resigned to accept a great loss of life at the expense of this town. Perhaps you are right. Perhaps there will be fire and blood. But please consider the wise and eloquent words of my wife. We make our own futures. The Golden Path may show you what is to come, but it also may be showing you what will come if we do nothing. There are very few things that are ever certain to me sir. Leave room for chance. Leave room for mistakes. Leave room for the will of the Gods. In battle, we call it being adaptable and flexible. If you commit to only a single course, then you doom yourself to follow it. Sometimes even a Golden Path, can have a fork in the road."

He smiled and nodded directly at Torc.

"Enjoy your evening, Thank you very much."

Torc Blackfoot
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Torc Blackfoot »

OOC: Don’t worry about it Elaine, God only knows how many times it seems like I have had writers block. By the way I have been trying to drop hints about the singer and the prophecy, was hoping that we could have talked about it. Oh well, perhaps another time.

By the time Ulder was finished, Torc felt more anger then anything. Taking a cleansing breathe Torc review the conversation in his head.

"I can see and sense that your intentions are well meaning sir. I can see that you want to build this town into a formidable place and power, and I have no issue with that, nor do I wish something different for the people of Pax Balthasar, or Selderine, or whatever the future of this town has in store. But there is one thing that you have the benefit of that other men do not, and its the one thing that will bring men here to fight if that is the destiny of this place. That one thing is time."

"Men have short lives, and it gives them long ambitions. Perhaps you are right, perhaps in a few hundred yahren, this place will become the shining place you imagine. But men do not live for the future. They live for the now and in their days here, they crave power and influence. Pax is situated well, has a great deal to offer strategically. It is far removed and distant from other places and the other Border Estates, and thus has a sense of freedom and independence. Being new, it has vast, untapped resources, and those resources bring wealth and power, and so like a moth to a flame, they will come for it. You might be able to forge Pax into your vision, but you would never be able to do so without a fight. That's why we are here. Pax's future, the future you want for it, can only come if it is free and unfettered. It must be able to live and breathe on it's own. Even a child stands as an adult eventually. It must be able to govern itself, and choose its own future if it is to have a future at all."

Men do not live for the future, what kind of man said that? In order to build anything one had to have a plan. In order to reach a destination one needed to look ahead. Nay, the logic was wrong, a child had to stand on its own two feet, not be pushed onto them. These people were disorganized already and Ulder wanted to take away their only form of government. Torc would admit that the governor was a fool and provide little to no support to the people, but at least the people were united in their hate for it. Torc cleansed himself again, he wouldn’t speak badly nor berate the man.

As the conversation continued Torc feared for the future. Ulder knew war, but Torc received the feeling that he didn’t know peace. He was a good man fighting for his beliefs, but Ulder needed to see that after the fight what was going to be left.

As the gold was left on the table, Torc bit his tongue. He began to feel like a whore who was being paid for services to be rendered. Still, the coin would help his people for the moment and Torc would use it for that.

Ulder and Elaine stood, Torc felt massive weight of the future. The city would be pushed in conflict one way or another. I have failed master, too many people pushing us to the knot, and all I can do is try to save as many as I can…

Torc offered the man his hand. “Ulder, I disagree with much of what you say, but since things are in motion it seems that peace and order will have to be put on hold for the flicker. However, before you leave Ulder I will speak on two things. Since Pax Honestus will leave who ever the newly established guard will need to investigate the poisoning of children with a highly intense verision of spider vemon seen on the day of the dark. I would start with the Walkers, the practiced walk in a circle is probably a binding ritual to interfere with the now dormant spirit of the land. Besides, they stand way too much to gain if the Oneist and other inhabitants of the city decide to harm each other.”

“You may think this odd that I mention something like that, but since the guard is going your people are the only ones left with the might to investigate and hold accountable guilty. Fundamently, this shouldn’t happen, once the force that protects us from outside threats, regulates the inside ones as well. Lets just say its hard to tell the difference between criminals and traitors. Yet, I don’t believe you will mislead them, I think their inner self may do so…”

“The last thing I wish to speak to you is a lesson I learned from my father. My father served in the previous Orc war. He had gotten use to the idea of facing and planning for the next battle. When he returned home, he became a drunk fool that after many yarhens finally died in the snow one winter. His problem was that he always looked to the next battle and forgot to live in peace, make sure his mistake isn’t yours, Ulder.”

Torc waited for either for the handshake or for Ulder and Elaine to leave.

As they did so Torc said one more parting phrase.

“Evening to you both, make sure to stop by the stand, I will be using magick to enhance one of my most favorite tales.”

Then Torc escort the two out, motioning for the next patron to come in.

Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Mara walked around the festival grounds taking it all in. It was no Festival of the Rivers but there was food and drink and smiles in abundance when all were usually in short supply. That made it a good thing. Still aside from a savory meat pie that she munched on, nothing was really catching her interest. The musician's stage just felt too much like work even if she was not performing and she knew too many that juggled for fun to be impressed by it anymore.

Then her eyes fell on the knife throwing booth and Mara smiled thinly. She had not worked with her knives since she came to Pax. Even the Day of Darkness was more prayers than bladework. It never hurt to keep in practice after all. Mara sauntered over to the blade throwing booth to try her luck.
Avatar by Sedone Thongvilay [url]http://www.sedone.com[/url]
Guido Cercatoro

The knife-throwing attraction consisted of three targets set at various distances from a rope which had been laid across the ground. At one end of the rope was a small stall on which lay a few sharp-looking knives and daggers. Behind the stall was a sour-faced, middle-aged fellow. He was straight-backed, as if he was a guard protecting something of importance. There was only one other customer at the stall – a young, blond and rather handsome looking human. The blond youth had already landed two knives close to the centre of the first two targets and was preparing to throw the third dagger.

“A crown I can hit the centre of the third,” said the youth with a bright laugh. The stallholder shook his head. Seeing Mara approach, the blond man turned to her. “Would you care to take the wager?” He gave her the strong appraising stare of a confident man.
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Hundreds are barely living outside the walls and this arrogant prig has a crown to waste on a stupid bet. I'd love to take him down a peg. For that matter, I'd really like that crown. Mara mused.

"You must think Pax a wealthy city indeed if one dressed as I has crowns to spare." Mara spun a little to show off the serviceable but plain outfit she wore. "But I'll make you a wager. I'm a singer by trade and a budding songwriter too. I'll put up my services as both against that crown of yours." Mara offered. "If you win, you get your triumph immortalized in song." Mara grinned at him. "What do you say?"
Last edited by Mara Zucaro on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

“Aah, I’m afraid that I am not used to the…economy of a place such as this,” admitted the youth with a smug grin. “It is only my second visit here. Still, your suggestion sounds a good one. I’m sure that my exploits deserve to be rendered in song. Even should I lose the bet, I might utilise your services.” He inspected the dagger he was holding and stood with his leading foot behind the rope. Just as he was about to throw he paused, turning his head to Mara.

“One more thing to add to our wager. The winner buys the loser a drink.” He nodded towards a nearby awning beneath which were arranged a few tables and a small bar.

Without waiting for an answer, he drew back his hand and threw the dagger. It flew straight and true, embedding itself in the centre of the target.

“I win, I think,” he said giving Mara a mock bow. “I am looking forward to the ballad of Giscard Sanguine. It will make a fine tale, I am sure. But you must introduce yourself, for I must Know my muse’s name.”
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

Good thing I didn't bet that crown. Mara nodded back to his mock bow. "I think you are supposed to be my muse. I've not heard of a muse for knife throwing." She smiled. "My name is Mara Zucaro, formerly of the Mouth so I bet my accent told you that. Where do you hail from, Signor Sanguine?"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Dray had one place left to go before the day was through...he had arranged to meet with a dwarf about having some new equipment made. As per the agreement, Dray did not approach the booth yet, but instead waited for his contact to arrive first.

He wore the new padded clothing under the Hunter's armor, his new mask upon his head and face, and the tabard of the Emerald Guard commander completed his outfit. His weapons were in their usual place, with his bladed staff firmly in his hands.

Now he just had to wait...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

Mara

“How aMUSing you are,” replied Giscard with a laugh. “Well, I hail from Foreno, signorina Zucaro.” He spoke the name of his home barony with pride as if it alone was sufficient to establish his own importance. “So what brings you to this place? Was it a voluntary or an involuntary journey?”

Draydis

From where he was standing, Draydis could clearly see the dagger-throwing stall. It consisted of three targets set at various distances from a rope which had been laid across the ground. At one end of the rope was a small stall on which lay a few sharp-looking knives and daggers. A dagger was lodged in the very centre of every target. Behind the stall was, not a dwarf, but a sour-faced, middle-aged human. Also standing at the stall was a young, blond human male in conversation with a swan-necked achadhiel woman.

It was only a few burns after he had arrived when Draydis was approached by Konrad. The moustached fellow had a harassed look on his face. “Good eventide,” he said in a brusque fashion.

“Right, well that fellow behind the stall is who you need to talk to. Cadris is his name. Look I’m afraid I’m too busy to introduce you. Just ask him yourself; I’ll be back shortly.” With no further explanation, Konrad bustled away.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

OOC: I am making some general assumptions concerning atire and some NPCs, hope that's okay.

Brytan approached the festival grounds with a feeling of determination, mixed in with a strong feeling of discomfort. The uniform he had kept in his pack during his time in Pax, back at the inn, had never been his favorite piece of clothing. Now he was wearing the uniform of a Honestus commander, which was more impressive, but still uncomfortable to the man who was so used to operating out of the public eye.

He had requested two of his most trusted men to accompany him, relieving them from their posts. He did not feel comfortable enough to go at it alone. Even though the Honestus would also be lined up around the festival grounds, aware of what was to come, he needed some by his side. He had not forced them to dress up for the show, allowing them to tail him unseen. He'd rather have an invisible pair of assassins watching his back than a contingent of sloppy guards like the morons back at the barracks.

So it would appear as if Brytan entered the grounds alone, scanning the crowd for familiar faces, checking if the uniforms aswell as the undercover guys he'd planted were at their stations. His goal was clear; to head to the Noble's enclosure for a chat with the Provost first, before the ceremony started. The entertainment was secondary to the task he had been given, and he planned on executing it with due care and haste.

His daggers remained unclasped and ready, in case he would also have to execute something else in the process. He trusted every unfamiliar face in these grounds about as far as he could throw them...
Last edited by Brytan on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Mara Zucaro
Civus

Post by Mara Zucaro »

"Both." Mara answered simply. "Given the choice I would have remained in the Mouth but with all the vendetta in the streets it just wasn't safe. So I came here months ago to seek out friends that had come here before me. This place grows on you, I find."

"So tell me about Foreno." Mara asked. "It will make for a good story over that drink you promised me." Ideally, she would love to order a drink that cost a crown but Mara knew there was nothing like that at the festival. "On that score, I recommend the gnomish beer tent. Jake's put some real effort into his summer brew this year. If you like a little spice that is." Inwardly, Mara winced at her words. He'd think she was flirting with him now. Merde.
Last edited by Mara Zucaro on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Baron Estates”