A Different Kind of Bird (Side thread: Xenovia and Calraen)

Moderator: Mods

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

A Different Kind of Bird (Side thread: Xenovia and Calraen)

Post by Xenovia Canace »

"Yes, it is good to meet you too. My name is Calraen. You are called Xenovia if I'm not mistaken?"

Well, he hadn't really answered her question. That was the first thing that occurred to Xenovia as the hooded figure responded to her. Calraen hadn't exactly started the right way for his introduction, either, what with his comment about Xenovia's "friends;" but the truth was, Xenovia had never had to introduce herself. The Goldenback tribe was closely knit, and while Xenovia had asked a couple times throughout her life who a certain kit was, she had never had to tell someone who she was. Had he been watching her more often, he would have realized that she was actually giving him quite a hefty amount of respect.

And, just as it had never occurred to her that the Dreamweaver might be a Kanthrop, it had also never occurred to her that he might have a name. She was a little bit thrown off, not just because her strict respect for her elders wouldn't allow her to respond sharply to his tones.

"Er, no. I mean, no you're not mistaken, I am Xenovia. Yes." Here she paused, unsure how to continue. She didn't know people often said something like pleased to meet you in these situations. So now it was back to her query. If she asked again would he rebuke her? Those large eyes stared out unblinking from under her hood. She wanted to ask him a flood of questions, like How old are you?, or, How do you fly?, or, What the hell are you doing here?. Something told her, however, that he wouldn't take to being pestered as much as her Kanthan did. But one question she did dare to ask.

"Calraen, will you help us?"
[size=84][i]"When the sun is gone I see you:
beautiful and haunting, but cold;
like the blade of a knife so sharp, so sweet --
nobody knows your heart." - Princess Mononoke[/i][/size]
Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

Calraen smiled, or something close to it. His lips parting in something of a careful smirk that indicated amusement. Xenovia had spirit. her aura radiated irritation and curiosity and yet she managed to compose herself in such a way that she stuck to the question she had asked him before. It never occured to him she had never dealt with social interaction on this level before. He himself had not interacted with anyone this way for at least a few hundred yahren.

It was a learning experience for him, the realisation of which made him smile. It had been too long since he learned anything new.

"Calraen, will you help us?"

"Will I help you? She must be right confused to ask me something like that. Then again...is it truly my place to help these kit?"

"You have your burden to bear. I am here to ensure you do so."
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

"You have your burden to bear. I am here to ensure you do so."

Xenovia's blood boiled, her grip tightening on her spear as she clenched her fists and gritted her teeth. What, so you're a fucking babysitter? Is that what you're here for? I'm sure your mother didn't send you here. You just came to make sure that I don't back down. You think I can't handle this. I'll fucking show you, you fucking lizard. I may not be the one you were expecting, but I am obviously not what you believe.

Despite the rage of colorful and offensive responses that were spinning through her thoughts as Xenovia continued to gaze steadily at Calraen, and even the physical signs that she was furious with him, Xenovia's muscles relaxed within a few flickers and she stood calmly before him.

Fine. I don't need you. I don't need anyone but myself. The Mother picked me. Not you, not them. Me. That meant that she must have some sort of ability. She had to trust in that.

"Very well, Dreamweaver." She bowed ever so slightly to him. "I suppose that is all we have to say to each other?" It was a question, not a statement -- as if she were requesting permission to leave.
Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

He could see her anger, feel her fury. The words she formed in her mind were almost audible to him. Yet she composed herself, kept it in. She wished to dismiss him and walk away?

"What kind of Kanthrop is this? Have they learned nothing from us?"

"Foolish whelp!" A gloved hand reached out from underneath the dark robes, it rushed out at high speed, striking low and aiming high, at an attempt to hit her across the jaw to throw her backwards onto the ground. "What are you? A pathetic human? I can feel your anger and yet you do NOTHING?! How do you expect to lead when your instinct is clouded by thought?! Have your Kanthan taught you nothing?!"

He stepped back and assumed a typical hand to hand combat stance Xenovia was very familiar with from her training with Oni. "You now bear MY weapons, so either you display the guts to use them, or die now and hand it to someone who will put up the effort to save OUR people!"

Then...he attacked.
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Had Calraen not at first yelled at her, Xenovia would have been caught completely unaware. As it were, she had perhaps half a flicker to respond. Dodge! Back she threw herself, torso first, one long leg falling back quickly to brace her shifted weight and keep her from throwing herself to the ground. She felt the breeze across her face, was almost sure she'd felt the tips of his fingers against the tiny hairs upon her nose. The sudden motion and abrupt stop threw her hood back from her face, her deathly pale skin and wild hair coming into view at once. Yet she cared not.

What the fuck did he want from her? Her golden eyes were wide and registered nothing but pure shock, her eyebrows bent down and her mouth open, silent, unable to produce a sound violent enough to express her overwhelming fury. How dare he try to hit her!? Her pupils were fully dilated, barely a speck in the raging tempest of gold.

She could feel the sea hawk within her shrieking, feel the talons struggling to tear out Calraen's eyes through her chest. She stared at him, unblinking, unable to understand him. He was supposed to be wise; he was older than she could imagine. Yet what the fuck was he thinking? Would he rather she attack him blindly? Would he rather she try to destroy everything that made her blood boil or her muscles twitch? Muraco, Culwago, Quinlan -- countless individuals would already be dead. Would he rather she have no control? To lose herself to the beast within?!

Xenovia could say none of these things to him. Her skin burned like fire. Her mind told her she had no chance against him. He was to be respected, not attacked. But her Inner Animal shrieked in defiance. Her heart screamed for blood. Her pride demanded retribution. Revenge.

He didn't know her. He said nothing but stupid, cryptic things to her. From the beginning she wasn't good enough for him. She wasn't the one he was expecting, but she had proven she had the strength to survive. SHE had been chosen by their mother. SHE possessed the Bane. Yet he still chastised her. Who the fuck was he?! He had been no one for hundreds of yahren now!!

"What are you? A pathetic human? I can feel your anger and yet you do NOTHING?! How do you expect to lead when your instinct is clouded by thought?! Have your Kanthan taught you nothing?!"

"They taught me not to be a fool!" she shrieked at him, her voice breaking, unable to achieve a tone harsh enough to express her anger. She tore the cloak from her back in one swift movement, the Bane and arrows falling harmlessly to the ground with it. Let him see what she thought of "his" weapon. It was hers now. She looked as if she were fully ready to attack him. Yet he continued still.

"You now bear MY weapons, so either you display the guts to use them, or d--"

He never got past that syllable. Xenovia lunged at him without warning, not even a blink of her eye giving the movement away. Her foot was already behind her. In the swift flex of toned muscles she pushed away from the ground, dropping her spear in lieu of striking him with her sharp nails. She wasn't exactly experienced in hand-to-hand, but she didn't care about this either. Carefully she was slipping into the mentality that had saved her numerous times before, listening to her instinct, her Inner Animal, her body, her very breath.

Xenovia struck at his neck with her left arm, -- there would be no petty slaps from her -- for it was the weaker, and one needed not strength to sever flesh. Her right arm, the stronger, she left free for now, ready to block a returning attack. She'd never seen Calraen fight before, but he would see her fight as she never had before.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

Calraen was a spirit. He had been so forever. His birth one of the Aether, his mind and body a reflection of the magic his mother had once posessed. As such he stood within the world with different eyes, gazing upon the Tether as if it were a strange and hostile place. For yahren had he felt complacent enough to remain in the Aether, only stepping out to observe.

Now however he had taken on a new role. The role he had taken on only once before in his life. Shortly after he and his kin had brought the Kanthrop to the isle, most of them nothing but frightened children, they had had to teach them the ways of the world. The world as they saw it.

And here before him, all those yahren later, stood the result of that first moment. His eyes saw the rage in her soar. Her aura illuminated with bright reds and powerful lashes of purple, edging to black.

"That's it...right there..." It didn't totally surprise him when she attacked him, though it came sooner than he had expected it. He could see the spirit within her latch onto her mind, grasping dominance in careful unison with her own soul as it's sharp instinct and keen senses added to her vigor. The bright silver and blue lines of the Osprey mingling with her aura clearly, it's feathers and beak sharply distinguishable to the trained eye.

He did nothing to block the strike Xenovia flung at him, taking a solid blow to the neck, causing him to tilt his head sideways as he turned with the punch. He stepped back a step, feeling his neck which did in fact hurt, nodding as if Xenovia had done something right. He hadn't felt pain in quite a while.

"That...is our way." He was not sure what Xenovia would do next. Any attacks that might follow would meet with him dodging them by stepping back or moving sideways until she stopped. "Your vigor is commendable. Why you would hold it in is beyond me. Be proud of what you are and do what you must do and I will be proud to walk the path with you for as long as you need me."

He glanced over at the Bane.

"You dropped something."
Last edited by Calraen on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Please hold here. The pair of you of are now fighting in the open on a public dock. We must allow the opportunity for PC and NPC reaction.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

She ghosted towards Calraen, treading softly as ever a foot could fall. The familiar words of her home pompted no recognition, her eyes seeing only the exchange of blows and hearing nothing but vehement cries. If Xenovia's mind had appeared a coruscant medley of rage then the quiet storm of Fury wrapped about Scarlet's soul must have shone like a beacon.

Her hand flowed smoothly to the bone-handled blade that rested at the small of her back. An outsider had threatened her pack and for that reason alone Scarlet was ready to drive the volcanic glass deep into his heart. Without thought or decision she closed the gap, bared her teeth, and then in one single powerful motion she stopped dead in her tracks. The moment had gone. Some preternatural awareness gave her thought, the shift in stance, a pheramonal difference... something had changed and she knew he had no intention of striking Xen for the moment.

She stood behind the towering figure, the baleful countenance of her face disappearing in a flash as she paused, the gutteral snarl that had been leaking from her lips died as the obsidian blade quivered in her hand. Her knuckles cracked as her long fingers gripped the sinuous hilt, still waiting for the incentive to drive the blade home.

"That...is our way."

Her eyes flickered momentarily to Xen.

What the fuck?
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

Muraco watched Calraen with the attentiveness of a hunting wolf. If one could see the soul of his inner animal one would see a seated canine watching even the slightest movements made by the two. Kytani’s jab was unheard and truthfully his misstep in naming Baylan a bear warper was largely forgotten. Though he heard not her exact words, he looked at the woman as she spoke. It was hard to glean their meaning, especially when the nearly palpable desire the two had to fight became apparent. The robed man was fast as he swung from his hip to hit Xenovia. Luckily the bird warper was as swift as her inner animal and dodged but even this she did barely. Muraco could sense this individual was one of them…albeit slightly odd in his scent.

His first instinct was to rush between and stop Calraen even though instinctually he knew he would be unable. Yet the man let Xenovia strike him easily enough and much of what he said made sense once one thought about it. He had dashed behind Scarlet and ultimately Muraco stood beside Scarlet as she had drawn blade ready to fight. He held a hand out in case the feline warper made to attack. The wolf kanthrop did not really need to for the girl found sense before attempting to stab Calraen. Even though the wolf kanthrop echoed her fierce protectiveness it was not prudent to fight here. Muraco would have thought that Xenovia had the sense to save such altercations for a place where there would be no consequences. At least at this point, if things continued both he and Scarlet could attack the large kanthrop. Muraco however had an unsettling feeling that if he chose to, he could kill all four of them without much effort.

"Here? Now?" hissed Muraco and continued looking from Calraen to Xenovia, "Even I am not that foolish and trust me, I have done my share of obscenely foolish things."
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Kytani, like Xenovia, left weapons alone and entered the fight bare-handed, her inner animal definately in tune with her emotions and reflexes as a paw-like palm lashed out to strike at the person who seemed to be endangering their mission just when it was about to begin. Calraen, however, was safe from even feeling so much as the warmth of Kytani's flesh.

No, her strike was aimed somewhere else, her open palm swinging at the back of Xenovia's head as Muraco said aloud what she would have, had his lips not moved first, her intense gaze first on Xenovia and then on the stranger.

"You.", she said to Xenovia. "Knock it the fuck off and you..." she directed at Calraen, "...just fuck off - we don't need you starting any shit, whoever you are...and you again...", she said, turning to face Xenovia for half a flicker before stooping in an attempt to pick up the Bane. "This---" she started to say, biting her tongue before giving any greater value to the object in the ears of strangers.

"If you're not going to USE your weapons in a fight, at least show them some respect,.." she snarled, being more forthright than ever thanks to whatever had caused this little seaside spat.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Totally [i]EPIC[/i] avatar by Funky!!!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Watching off to the side, the harbor master frowned as this latest strange group of explorer rushed over to one side and started to have a brief exchange of blows followed by harsh argument. The official had no desire to get in the middle of all of them but he could not simply allow such activities to go unchallenged on the docks. He sent a runner down the pier to the Imperial Warehouse for them to send several guards. He'd soon break this up.

OOC: Play through for now. Xenovia, you can sense Kytani's blow coming before it lands but not fast enough to stop it. Feel free to use that in your response.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's blow did not hesitate at all, though she could see before she hit him that Calraen did not intend to dodge. As her fist met his neck she felt a rush of satisfaction, following through the strike with the rest of her body, leaning forward with the effort. As her arm fell away and he showed no signs of striking back, Xenovia returned to an upright stance, her legs still slightly separated for added balance. Her fist dropped to her side, the deathly pale skin upon her fingers reddening as the blood rushed to the surface. Though her eyes still flashed with anger, she stood down for now, her gritted teeth slightly visible behind the snarl which pulled her lips upward.

Her senses still heightened, the bird within her still ready to strike, Xenovia's gaze shifted past Calraen and fell upon Scarlet, who seemed ready to attack him. She had paused, though, and her gaze moved to meet Xenovia's. Two pairs of golden eyes met, and Scarlet could clearly see the raptor within Xenovia ready to strike at a moment's notice. Yet soon her attention diverted to Muraco, who stood behind her.

"Here? Now? Even I am not that foolish and trust me, I have done my share of obscenely foolish things."

The muscles in her jaw worked, her lips pressing together as her tongue snaked between her teeth, which bit down heavily upon it. Muraco was lecturing her? Seriously? Xenovia's mouth began to open, but before she could speak she sensed something behind her, turning her head quickly to see what it was.

Smack.

It was a dull sound. The sound of an utter mistake. The sound of Kytani's hand meeting the flesh of Xenovia's cheek. Her entire body froze -- if she hadn't frozen, she would have started a whole different fight. Those who could see her eyes would see them widen, her lower lid lifting in silent, vehement, wrathful anger. Her upper lip quivered gently in a sneer.

"You. Knock it the fuck off and you...just fuck off - we don't need you starting any shit, whoever you are...and you again... This---"

Xenovia's fists began to clench, her cheek reddened from the forced contact. Her breathing was slow. Shaky. A desperate attempt at keeping control.

"If you're not going to USE your weapons in a fight, at least show them some respect..."

She snapped. As Kytani bent to pick up the Bane, Xenovia turned upon the smallest grain of dirt beneath her foot, both of her hands reaching out to slam into the feline warper's side, all her weight behind the shove in an attempt to get her away from the bow. Whatever it took to keep Kytani from touching it.

Xenovia made no further advances on Kytani once she was out of the way. Leaning down quickly, Xenovia snatched her cloak and the Bane up, replacing the cloak around her shoulders and placing the Bane and its quiver upon her back once more. A few short treads backward moved her away from the entire group by a few feet. It was only then that she spoke, her tone nearly dripping acid. As it were, her voice was a low hiss of rage.

"Do not speak to me of respect," she said in a voice that was shaking with barely-contained anger. You respect my bow more than me. "And that's the Dreamweaver, you stupid bitch."

That was all she said, pulling her hood back up over her head and turning to look back toward the harbormaster. Trying to stop a fight by hitting me. She must be fucking crazy... A gentle lift and fall of her shoulders betrayed a sigh as she slowly unclenched her fists and began to walk back toward him -- slowly. Now I must act like a leader.

Within a few paces of him she spread her arms and opened her hands, to show that she meant him no harm. No doubt he would be a bit wary of her, so she spoke to him from several feet away.

"I apologize, sir, for that outburst. We aren't accustomed to traveling on ships. We usually walk, and we're all very uptight. I assure you it won't happen again." Apologies were not usually forthcoming from Xenovia, but this one came easily enough, for she didn't mean it at all. She was playing a role now -- no need to let her true emotions get in the way.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

The slap to the face was unintended, but there was a small bite of satisfaction to the sound of flesh upon flesh...the soothing after-tingle of the strike on and in her skin as the palm sang a silent song of victory. The look in Xenovia's eyes was both frightening and darkly humorous. And then Kytani felt a retalitory strike in her side, pushing the still-unbalanced-from-the-sailing girl unceremoniously to her rump and back as the bird-warper shoved her down.

"Do not speak to me of respect, And that's the Dreamweaver, you stupid bitch."

Kytani's snarl was valid, her teeth bared for both Xenovia's stubbornness and the Dreamweaver's ill-timed choice to do...whatever the Nether had just happened. Kytani lay on the ground for a few flickers, breathing deeply in silence as Xenovia stepped either over or around her, surrounded by a shield of over-inflated ego.

Dumb bitch? Dumb bitch?? the panther kit thought angrily, watching Xenovia's retreating form. I'll show you who the dumb bitch is, you fucking... fucking... anger left her at a loss for words even if only in her mind. ...fucking bird-brain!!! Kytani could feel her inner animal roar at that flicker, the beast within in a blind rage forged of pure hatred, the kit's body rising seemingly of its own accord, fingers curling like paws with claws bared, legs churning upon the earth as Xenovia's backside grew larger and larger with each passing step, Kytani's nostrils flared and almost snorting as she ran...

...and leaped...

...and came crashing to the ground, her body wrapped around the larger girl's, both of them skidding for a bit on the dirt, grass, and stone as the tackle's momentum drove them to a stopping point just at the Harbor Master's feet, Xenovia's apology never having time to seep from Xenovia's freshly bloodied lips as Kytani rolled her over and began delivering blows in a flurry of strikes, desperately wanting to pound some sense into their 'leader' to teach the woman to be more mindful of her actions, words, and packmates.

“Respect?” Kytani howled. “Stupid bitch?!?!?” Kytani's fingers wound their way into the tangle of hair at the top of Xenovia's head and found purchase, both hands rising and falling in unison as she repeatedly lifted Xenovia's head from the ground before slamming it back down with force, one strike per syllable.

“You...” *thwack!*

“Are...” *thwack!*

“Going...” *thwack!*

“To...” *thwack!*

“Get...” *thwack!*

“Us...” *thwack!*

“Killed...” *thwack!*

With that final word, the kit let go of her packmate's hair and rolled off to the side, caring not for the flicker if Xenovia was still conscious or even still alive, she was that embroiled in an emotional stew. Tears began to well and her heavy breathing slowly mixed with choked sobs, as she hated having to turn on such a trusted friend like that, even if the situation was that dire. It was then that she heard Xenovia's voice come from a distance.

"I apologize...”

Here it comes..., Kytani thought with a smile, the beating suddenly seeming to have done the job despite the brutality.

”...sir, for that outburst. We aren't accustomed to traveling on ships. We usually walk, and we're all very uptight. I assure you it won't happen again."

Sir? the kit wondered, rubbing the blur from her eyes and sitting up to wonder just how many of Xenovia's brains she had knocked loose in the attack.

The answer was: 'None'.

Kytani found herself still seated on the ground near Scarlet, Muraco, and the Dreamweaver, Xenovia safe from harm and apologizing to the Harbor Master as she had originally intended. It had all been a dream...a fantasy...a...premonition? She pondered the latter possibility for a flicker and then shook it away with a final shake of her head before rising. Xenovia had been foolish enough to engage in a fight on the docks, no matter who or what had started it, but the woman was making amends and it was just best, she felt, to let it go for now.

Kytani rose to a full standing position, refusing any help offered, and returned to her original post a short walk away from the group where she looked once more at the surroundings before them. She wanted to talk to no-one for the flicker and, deep inside, her panther wanted to lick its wounds, for her pride had been hurt just as badly – all for the sake of trying to protect her packmates from harm. Perhaps Culwago had been right in his laughter...maybe I am still just a kit..., she thought scornfully.

OOC: Just to clarify, taking the shove without challenge - the rest is just fantasy.
Last edited by Kytani Hajgomb on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

Calraen nodded. He did nothing more as Xenovia rushed for the Bane, shoving her fellow Kanthrop out of the way, who in turn displayed an array of color in her aura, ranging from anger to rage and back to frustration and anxiety. The daydream visible to the Dreamweaver's eyes as her mind created, for a flicker, an alternate universe within this one where she would show Xenovia who was boss.

In reality, she did not do it and his attention was soon drawn back to Xenovia who displayed a great measure of self control and responsibility. Not only for the Bane, but for her pack and their mission. The message she had bestowed to the rest of the group concerning his identity had not yet sunk in apparently. All for the better with all the adrenalin rushes going on. But this...this was how they had been taught. React fast if you want to live, realise when a fight is warranted but also when one is not. Xenovia had attacked him. Beings they had revered almost as gods for most of their lives. No human would ever do that.

He felt pride for these kit.

He rubbed the place where Xenovia had hit him with his right hand, straightening out his own cloak to ensure the mortals around them would not see what he was. The Kanthrop were no danger, they were the only ones to know what a Dreamweaver was, and even that only from legend. But these humans, especially on this island...There were powerful magickal forces at work here. Forces to be taken into account.

After following Xenovia with his eyes for a while to see what she did, Calraen turned around to look at Scarlet and Muraco. He looked at the dagger Scarlet held and smiled. "I like your attitude, Scarlet." he said.
Last edited by Calraen on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The harbor master looked decidedly nervous as Xenovia broke off from the scuffle among her own people and approached him. Most of the dock workers had ceased their labors to watch the spectacle of the Kanthrops fighting. A few held crowbars or similar implements at the ready just in case.

The official's eyes widened as Xenovia made her apology and he visibly relaxed. He became even more confident when a squad of five guards wearing leather armor and bearing spears came into view. "No harm done, miss, but I suggest you and your party be off about your business on Sierra." The sooner this bunch goes into the jungle and disappears, the better.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

"I don't care."

She sheathed the blade swiftly, not taking her eyes of the 'dream weaver.' Scarlet watched him with suspicion evident in her eyes and sniffed the air cautiously. Certainly he smelled... odd. It wasn't a scent she recognised, though it didn't feel unfamiliar. Some sort of ancestral memory stirred perhaps. Scarlet's eyes narrowed, Xen didn't act like he was an actual Dream Weaver, but why shout it out like that? She thumbed a rough patch on the leather hilt of her blades and ran her tongue over one of her teeth. They were starting to change, a sign that she was melding with her inner animal, she could have fangs like Petran one day. She turned to watch Xenovia and her speech to the harbour master.

If you truly lead my people to the floating Isle, you will know of a boy. He was the son of the town Major and wrote the tale of the crossing upon a scroll that Xenovia found. His name still lives, what was it?

She thought the question aloud in her own head, projecting it in a fashion towards Calraen. If a God could hear prayers, he sure as hell ought to be able to hear that. She wanted more proof than a strange smell and an off-hand comment from Xen. She wanted an answer.

She watched Kytani pick herself up, checking briefly to ensure she wasn't physically hurt and returned her unwavering gaze to Xenovia. We are going to need to talk she decided. Words needed to be said or this hunting party was going to fall apart. Muraco understood at least, she knew he did. Each hunter had their role, their place. Each individual was relied on to fill that role and the team worked as a cohesive whole. This pack did not understand its path, did not understand what was required of it and it was chafing.

For now, she remained silent, she would speak to Xen and Kytani later that night. She flicked her eyes to Muraco. At least he understood.
Last edited by Scarlet on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's eyes were mostly hidden in shadow as her gaze shifted to the dock workers holding their curved metal stubs. A brow lifted slightly. Yeah right.

It was the sound of steady marching that brought Xenovia's attention to the guards. They could be dispatched as well, but she and her kin hadn't come here to destroy the population of Sierra one by one. That can come later.

"Of course," she answered simply, turning her back and crossing quickly back to her companions. Xenovia offered not so much as a nod of her head to the harbormaster. That could be mistaken for respect.

"We need to move." It wasn't a request, or a command. No doubt they had already seen the guards coming. She said it loud enough for Kytani to hear it as well, from her short distance away. And then, more words came from her lips than any of them had ever heard before. Her tone was smart and to-the-point. It was as if they were speaking to a different Kanthrop entirely.

"I am going to go find a market place, to purchase some food in case there should be a time we're too busy or tired to hunt. Any of you may feel free to join me, but I would prefer it if we don't split into more than two groups, and I want no one left alone. Not even you, Calraen." Oh, how she wanted to be by herself. But that was a bad idea, for now. "Scarlet, you're better at communicating than I am. If you would, go to the Explorer's Guild first and see if you can find out if there is a temple here dedicated to a dragon, or something close. If not, I'll do it and you can find the market place. After that, feel free to do as you please, without leaving the city area. Try to stay away from the mages if we're not all together, we have almost no experience with magic. We'll all meet up outside of this Explorer's Guild at mid-day and decide where to go from there. Understood?"

If there were no questions or objections, Xenovia would leave with whomever chose to go with her, heading away from the docks without looking back.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

"Sure." Scarlet replied, hefting her bag up onto her shoulders and stepping off to one side. "Ill take the guild. We need answers there not corpses." She glanced sardonically towards Xenovia, one eyebrow inferring the simple hope that Xen would not start another fight in the Markets. Scarlet had the feeling that there would be bloodshed to slake the most sanguine thirsts ahead. Especially if others hunted the jungles. Scar hated competition for her prey...

She glanced about, wondering who would come with her. Kytani could probably use the break from Xen, Muraco would probably want to all stay together... Ursa alone knew about the Dreamweaver. She paused briefly, allowing whoever wanted to catch up and then headed swiftly into town, her eyes peeled for explorers. Whatever they looked like.

Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Kytani looked at all of them and strolled over to Scarlet's side - the wounds between she and Xenovia a bit to raw at the flicker to continue to rub them together. Her main concern was what Muraco and Calraen would decide to do, as she still did not want Xenovia wandering off alone or being stuck alone with Calraen until everyone else had been brought into the loop as to who he was to them, but the greedy, self-serving part of her did not want Muraco endangered just in case the odd man tried to stir up more trouble.

And then there was the Bane to think about it. Xenovia may have had a grain of sand or two in an uncomfortable place about how Kytani had pointed it out, but the bird-warper had been short sighted enough to just relinquish it to the ground instead of the hands of a trusted companion once - what if she did it again?

Silent as the night, Kytani stood by, watched, and waited.

Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

Things seemed like they were determined to fall apart. It was as is no matter how much this trek meant to those gathered, to those at the village, it was doomed to come apart at its seams. When Kytani's hand came toward the back of Xenovia's head, the bird warper turned and caught the swipe fully across a cheek. It seemed as if the whole world had paused for a flicker to look in stunned silence. Would Xenovia open her throat then and there? Muraco was unsure of what the bird warper would have done if it was he that had slapped her...it was easy to imagine, with his proficiency with angering the woman. Nonetheless the die had been cast and it went a bit more tame than he would have given the woman credit for. A shove, a curse...and a sigh of relief from the white haired kit. So this is what they were to look forward to for the rest of this trip?

He heaved a sigh and shook his head as Xenovia went to speak to the harbor master. The wolf looked to Scarlet and he was thankful that at least one of them understood that the only way they were going to get through this was together. Bickering, physical fighting would get them ultimately nowhere except in a cage for their foolishness. It was a stroke of luck the Kanthan of this dock did not decide to have his charges lock them all away. Or try at any rate, it was most likely that the men would end up with serious to deadly wounds tangling with the four...five if Calraen were counted but who knew his motive? Would he be there to risk his life should one of the four young kanthrop were endangered? Since he did not know what Calraen's thoughts or motives were, Muraco would watch the tall Kanthrop. Looking at Kytani, the girl was silent as Xenovia doled out their objectives. The wolf kit felt for her, as unsettling as the boat ride had been her irritation was understandable but still foolishly aimed. Perhaps they needed a break from one another.

"Kytani, I will go with Xenovia, why don't you go with Scarlet? I promise I will be vigilant...my foot cannot get into my mouth if I do not open it, no?" said Muraco and smiled slightly. They needed time to cool, release the pressure that had built in such a short time. They would be a team...at least the white haired kit hoped they would be. Shouldering his pack and spear he looked to Xenovia. The one who had to understand that they were a group, a pack was her most of all. It was then that he realized that no amount of verbal or physical abuse would get that through to her. Those wings she had when warped were still present in her form now. She simply used them to fly away, deeper into herself. For the first time, he felt sorry for proud Xenovia. Muraco could never say this...for if she did not hate him already, saying he pitied her would surely make it a reality.
Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

The approach of the guards seemed to trigger the group into action. Xenovia took it upon herself to divide chores to prepare for the trek into the jungle. Scarlet was a fierce one, her thought lingering in the space between their minds. She was testing him. But he remained silent. There was a structure being formed. It would be very easy for him to slip back into the dreaming, but that was not why he had come all this way, why he had chosen to reveal himself. So he would have to pick a team, for now.

He could ofcourse tell them what he knew of the island...tell them he could feel Destiny's presence. Far away from here, hidden behind layers and layers of jungle. But group dynamics were being established. It was not his place to guide just yet. The group needed to put itself together first. Or scatter to the four winds.

"I shall go with Xenovia." He did not much care to be inside a human building surrounded by people that pretended to know anything about his kind and their history. But most of all he did not much care to be inside. An open market seemed the prudent choice for now. It would also give him a few more opportunities to get to know the bearer of the Bane a bit better.
Last edited by Calraen on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”