[Aveas] Back at the Camp - Cave of the Heart (Jyg 30th ETT)

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

"Now?" Gannas looked around the clearing which seemed as if nothing at all had happened. "Now you will find that in order to walk the path of the shaman, you will need to learn how to be a shaman."

He beckoned Jolace to follow him once more. "Let us walk again."

They walked back along the path to the intersection where they had first been. In front of them the dark pinnacle of the Cryer's Peak rose over the forest. "So tell me. What exactly do you think it is that a shaman does?"
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

"Well," The orca-kanthrop started, but he thought for a moment. What was the best way to answer this question? Of course he didn't know the complexities of being a shaman, but perhaps he had a better idea of it than most common folk amongst the tribes. What does a shaman do?

"Well, the common idea of a shaman is a bringer of wisdom, who lends advice and makes decisions for others, with the aide of nature and spirits to guide them..." he said, and he began to follow Gannas wherever he led him, looking around at the scenery, and still shaking from the intense test he'd just survived. "But,"

"I think there is definitely much more to it than that. A shaman is a friend of nature and the spirits of the aether, correct? Mystical powers and wisdom are granted to them through that friendship. One befriends and respects the spirits, and the spirits do the same for them... We offer dance, song, poetry, etc., and they offer their energies and their knowledge." He sighed and worried. I hope I wasn't too far off...

"Am I close?"
"Music, next to silence, is the purest form of expression."

[url=http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ed6k5wc5hym]Listen to Song of Jolace[/url]

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?p=216506#216506]Jolace pics[/url]
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"You are..."

They walked down the path back to the village but took a turn along Paw lake, until they stood nigh to the Festival Grounds, where they had a good view of the village which lay across the water.

"A shaman does what he is expected to do. What you describe is what you have seen me do because it is what people believe it should be done that way. Above anything it is a shaman's task to listen. To observe and be mindful of his surroundings. Be they Kanthrop, animal, spirit or plant. The Mother's creations all have their own innate energies which, combined, shape our world. Only by understanding the connections which bind us all together may a shaman guide his people. And the only way to understand the connections, is by observing them."

He pointed to the village.

"The connections we have to this land were always presumed to be a given from the Mother herself. Now we see our lives infiltrated by things that fit into the connection somewhere. The Cryers. Yet we do not understand them, therefor we can not hope to balance out the equation that is our existance on the isle. If you wish to be a shaman, like myself, you will need to learn how to observe before anything else. Only through knowledge of the world around you will you be able to grant others the wisdom to see what is already in plain sight..."

He turned back to Jolace.

"That everything...is connected."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

A listener... Everything is connected. The faithful kit committeed these words to memory. Earlier he felt like he was meant to be a shaman. Now he knew it. Jolace had always been a quiet type, ever-cautious and observant before he took actions. In a conversation he'd always thought a great deal and said very little, observing everyone's points of view and considering them, instead of brashly disagreeing, or vehemently declaring a stance on the topic. During hunts, and fishing, he was often alert, and he did what he was told, listening to the words of Groas, Spud, and on land-hunts he would listen to the other kanthrop, and observe their prey and surroundings. Even now, he was dutifully listening to Gannas and absorbing his knowledge the best that he could.

Everything is connected. The orca-kanthrop felt a deep and excited passion rising within him, and he outstretched one of his hands toward the village, drawing a mental line between itself and the world around it. His pathos was not betrayed by his face, for he merely had a look of fascination in his eyes, with his mouth slightly open as he looked at the village and the woods around it. He could see it, the connection. At least he could feel it in his heart. This could all be mere aesthetics however, for existentially he had much work to do before he would be at the level of understanding that Gannas boasted.

"I will learn, and share that wisdom, master Gannas."

There was no other ultimate path in his life that he was meant to take. It had to be this. Wherever he went, whatever missions he was given, and whatever monsters he hunted; he would do them as a shaman would. Observe, listen, learn... Then decide. It was a philosophy that Jolace could easily see himself following. Master Gannas, I will become a shaman. I can handle the training, I can learn be like a shaman in all my deeds, not just battle.

In his typical low baritone, he agreed with himself. "I will."
Last edited by Jolace on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[url=http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ed6k5wc5hym]Listen to Song of Jolace[/url]

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"That is good. Though mind you, that the path of the shaman is one of balance. A balance in all things, which you will have to learn to tread. Each choice made has consequences somewhere down the path. It is the art of seeing these consequences before they happen if you are to walk the way of the shaman longer than just a few steps."

They stood at the cliff which dropped down into the lake below them. The only source of sweet water for miles around as far as the Kanthrop knew.

"I have a task for you. One that will require you to test these theories without putting yourself in too much risk right now. At the bottom of this lake there is a cave. In this cave there grows a rare moss which Groas used to collect for me. I use it in a concoction of my own creation. I would like you to collect it.

Without disturbing the water."

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Without disturbing the water? Certainly this wasn't possible! If Jolace was to swim down to this cove and collect the moss, he would absolutely disturb the water. If he even used some sort of long complicated tools, that too would disturb the water. If there was another way, Jolace was not familiar with it. He was a young kit, and was still inexperienced.

"Gannas... I don't understand." Is this another test? Perhaps I'm thinking too hard about this... Wait, maybe....

"Wait, I think... Hold on master Gannas," He closed his eyes and he focused his thoughts on finding the answer. Perhaps the balance here is that between the Tether and the Aether. If I were to ask the spirits of the lake to bring them to us, I'm sure they would be able to without disturbing the water.

He began to hum his melody again, and as hard as he could, he tried to recall that feeling of ultimate faith that he'd felt against the imaginary Cryers. "...Spirits please show me that I'm not in vain, as the earth meets the sky through the rain..." As he sang the spiritual song once more, trying his hardest to sound good for the spirits; lifting his soft pallete, and bracing his body to attempt the prevention of his voice cracking. He focused hard on keeping his pitch on key, and he began to pray halfway through his song, and he held his hands out toward the water, Faith, I have faith. The burning sensation of obstinate faith was returning somewhat in his heart as he squeezed his eyes shut and focused his mind.

'Great spirits of the water, we come to you in trial once more. we wish to walk a path through our life hand in hand with you. We wish to live in balance with the aether, and we offer you our deepest respect and attention. Please, help us to bring Gannas some of your moss, that he may continue on his way as he did once before. Help us to do this, without disturbing nature, without disturbing the water, your home.'

He would pray like this, with his arms extended and his mind focused until he dropped, or until he felt some sort of response.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Despite his best effort, despite the song he sang so well, there did not seem to be any response. The waters below him remained as they were. The falls coming from above the Heart crushing down to the north, the rushing of the water clashing upon the rocks below the only sound save for the chirping of birds in the forest's edge behind them.

Gannas stood beside Jolace, inresponsive to his questions. he waited with the young kit for a few burns before speaking, as it became apparent that the nature spirits he called upon did not seem to wish to come to his aid.

"Remember what I told you Jolace. We, above all else, seek the balance in the world. But to do that we must listen. You have heard me speak the words, now it is up to you to hear their true meaning. Ponder it, question them and try to do what I have asked of you. Return to me once the task is complete."

With that he bid his goodbyes and walked back to Valley Village. Leaving the kit alone for the time being.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

I don't understand. Are these spirits different from the ones back there? Can they not all see and hear me? Did my earlier test mean nothing to these noble spirits that are here? He felt sad, and abandoned. "Goodbye, master Gannas."

Pouting, he sat down, cross-legged. He rested his chin on his hand and he stared into the water. What am I to do? I'm not intelligent enough to figure this out, evidently. Am I missing something? He closed his eyes, and prepared to meditate. I must be distracted. I shall clear my mind of any distractions, and do as instructed. I shall listen.

The poor, confused kanthrop closed his eyes, and he looked up at the sun for the briefest of flickers, just for the sake of the afterimage. He closed his eyes, and he stared into the purple afterimage that was left in his eyes from the solar glance, and he focused all of his thought on just that image. As the image slowly faded away, so did his thoughts. Peace... Calm... Meditation.

He would stay in this meditation, with an empty mind, ready to listen, for as long as he could without getting distracted. He hoped to hear something, but if he didn't, he was going to have to figure something else out, or ask for help. Desperation would be filling his mind, were it not currently devoid of thought.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Hello Jolace."

A chipper voice roused him from his meditation. Would he open his eyes he would however find no source to the voice, which had appeared to come from right in front of him. Almost like a child's voice it had been high pitched and perky.

"What seems to be bothering you?"

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

"Oh, hello." The kit responded, but it was half a burn before he spoke again. He was still unskilled in the area of meditation and he did not want to lose his focus. Whether or not that had anything to do with his ability to hear the voice, he didn't know, but he didn't want to take the chance.

What... What is bothering me? What should I tell them...? The truth of course. Well... I suppose it's...

"What seems to be bothering you?

The next words out of his mouth were thoughts that he subconsciously vocalized while thinking them. As he was not used to contributing this much to a conversation, he was a bit awkward sounding, and he hesitated a lot between sentences.

"Loneliness... I suppose... When I was a young kit... I wasn't an outcast here, but... I felt different, unworthy to stand alongside my brethren who do things... so much different than I do..." He kept his eyes closed and he paused to think. "Introversion, I brought upon myself. But when I came here, or was close to nature... especially here and at the ocean... I felt togetherness... As if someone was with me, that I wasn't... alone." His face was completely blank, and his eyes opened ever so slightly, and they looked at the ground right in front of him, as he was still focused on his meditation.

"I decided to pursue that... To become, a shaman... A person of faith and aetherial magick." His voice began to ache. He'd never spoken this much before, and unlike his high-pitched singing, his deep speaking voice was taxing on his larynx. It was an untrained muscle, for he was quite the silent person. "But, ever since I started on this path today, even though... It was so recent that I did.... I started to feel, once again, unworthy. As if... That togetherness was only in my head."

He answered truer than the voice could have possibly hoped for. What he was saying, was vocalized as the thoughts went through his head.

"I can't stalk in the woods like a cat, I can't spot a mouse twitching like a falcon... And I can't answer Gannas' riddle like a shaman, I'm not smart enough... And if I can't do that, why would the spirits befriend me? I feel... So unworthy." His eyes watered a little, for in his mantra, he wasn't blinking.

"That, friend, is what is bothering me."

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Wow."

The voice continued in his mind.

"Man, that's a lot to be bothering you. Good thing I showed up to help you."

Jolace was still trying his best to keep his meditational focus. Which seemed to amuse the creature to whom the voice belonged slightly, since it broke down into a giggle.

"You know, it won't hurt you to relax a little bit while we're here. And I'm down here by the way..."

Looking down, between his legs, roughly the size of a peanut, there was an insect of sorts. A grasshopper by the looks of it. It hopped up onto Jolace's leg, and looked up into his eyes with the faceted stare only an insect could pull off.

"You know, you're quick to answer someone you've never met. Now with me that's okay but if you want to survive this shaman business, you should start to take a bit more care what spirits you spill your guts to. We're not all nice you know..."

"Oh, and by the way. If they thought you were unworthy, they wouldn't have sent me."
Last edited by Brytan on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

"Huh?" He blinked and his eyes burned as they rehydrated. A fury of blinks took place as his eyes watered and eventually he looked around, confused. From the tiny voice, he assumed it was female, although he likely wouldn't find out the gender of the bug unless he asked. He wasn't a veterinarian, and even a veterinarian would surely be seen as spectacular if he could identify the gender of a grasshopper! Where did she...? Did I lose her? I must have lost my focus...

"You know, it won't hurt you to relax a little bit while we're here. And I'm down here by the way..."

Jolace looked down, and the kit was shocked with what he saw. An... insect? How curious. The divine spirits come in so many forms... Truly amazing. It's a pleasure to meet her. Is she my spiritual guardian? A wave of joy filled his spirit as he found his very first spirit friend. What a tremendous occasion! Gannas would be so proud! At last, he responded. "Hello."

"You know, you're quick to answer someone you've never met. Now with me that's okay but if you want to survive this shaman business, you should start to take a bit more care what spirits you spill your guts to. We're not all nice you know..."

Of course! I'm such an idiot! Always placing trust in those who I blindly assume will help me. I should take note of this, caution will be exhibited in the future, no doubt. The thoughtful kit merely looked in wonder at the spiritual being as he contemplated his folly, and how he would improve himself. I imagine I'll learn a lot from this little fellow.

"I'm... Sorry."

"Oh, and by the way. If they thought you were unworthy, they wouldn't have sent me."

She was sent? That must mean that I was right after all! I do have friends in the aether. My life... My path is becoming clear. But... Wait.. Must I still gather the moss? Perhaps my spirit guardian can help me out. His mind raced as he listened, as he learned. Few words he said, but he thought up a storm. As his inner musings came to an end, he smiled warmly at the spirit.

"Friend."

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The grasshopper did not display any real emotion. It had a rather hard time doing that, having the body of a grasshopper anyway. As Jolace went through an array of thoughts and emotions himself it seemed to impatiently hop around on his leg.

"Yes, hello. We kinda established I was here, right? You're not seeing things? Well, you are kind of, but that's a bit beside the point. It might pay to not talk to me with your mouth though, people tend to react rather silly when other people start talking to themselves. This one time, old man Gondra met up with this adhiel kid and started chatting to him...He ended up in a very nice padded room down in Gulanadur..."

It hopped around, facing the lake.

"So, the old man gave you a job to do eh? Completely stumped, are you? I must say it's rather fun to watch your cogwheels grind. Your aura goes all blue. Figured anything out yet?"

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Speak without my mouth...? I don't think I can do that. Can she read my thoughts? My aura goes blue... That makes no sense to me. If only I didn't know so little! It appears that this spiritual guardian of mine assumes I know many things that I do not, and I would hate to disappoint her, but... His gaze met that of the grasshopper and politely, he began to slowly and carefully stutter out a few words.

"I... can't speak... without my mouth," The kit stammered, "And... I don't.. understand... what you mean by 'aura'."

That's it, she's going to think I'm pathetic. How am I supposed to take her spiritual advice if I can't speak without my mouth? What does that even mean? Am I supposed to just think really loudly?. Maybe I have to use the spark from before... That is the only thing I currently have to work with. Attunement with the spirits around me through courage, faith and determination...

No, there's... no sense in me trying it now... I don't even know what it really is I'm trying... But... I...
His mind wouldn't allow him not to attempt this odd feat, and he didn't expect results. His eyes squeezed shut, and he tried to envision that bold flame that he felt in the face of the imaginary cryers. He pictured the flame forming in his heart, and crawling up into his mind, and at last he tried to force it out toward the grasshopper. As he did this, he believed more and more that it would work, until he convinced himself that it absolutely would.

CAN YOU HEAR ME, SPIRIT GUIDE!? I AM SPEAKING WITHOUT MY- gods, I'm such a complete idiot... There's no way in the nether that is going to work. His bold faith was fleeting, and halfway through his message he realized that he was shooting in the dark. It seemed that he wasn't the perfect prospective shaman... But he still had to try.

"I'm sorry."

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The grasshopper didn't really seem to be getting any of the thoughts Jolace was attempting to project, as it did not respond to his attempts at doing so. It did not miss his verbal replies however.

"It's okay, you'll get there some day I'm sure."

It did not say much else. The spirit had asked it's questions it seemed and just sat there looking out over the expanse that was Paw Lake. To the north and west the falls of Ursa's Heart cascaded down the Skymyst into the somewhat drained pool of water below. Behind Jolace the forest whispered a silent tune and to the south the village lay dormant still, with most of it's inhabitants elsewhere.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

The burly kit couldn't help but return to somewhat of a meditative state, with all this he had to think about. His eyes were fixed on the grasshopper, and in his mind, he pictured it flying around, following him into a fight with a troop of cryers and spitting magickal flames. A slight halfsmile appeared on his lips.

I'm sure he's not that sort of spiritual guardian. I believe it will be myself who must learn to spit fire, or perhaps water... His eyes shifted to paw lake, and he wondered if the spirits that dwell in there would lend him their energy, even if he asked. Could he manipulate water, with permission of the spirits? He certainly wanted to, but it didn't seem like he was going to learn anything soon- unless he brought himself to ask about it.

The path of a shaman... Could help my friends. Those who needed me, but I was too... weak. I could become stronger, more useful. Yes, I could serve my kind as Gannas does. I would be a protector, and in time, perhaps a wisdom bringer... But, I have to remember the relationship of all things, I have to listen, observe. I must uphold the balance of nature... Still, I want to learn how to protect! How can I use magick with the spirits? How can I harden my body and strengthen my mind? At the very least I should learn how to speak without my mouth.

"Friend, can.... you teach me... uhm.... magick?" Please, grasshopper, teach me magick, of any sort! I must learn how to be a good shaman! Teach me how to fetch the moss from below the water! Teach me how to speak without my mouth! Teach me how to blast lighting at a cryer! Oh please just teach me anything! His mind screamed, but his voice was calm, and collected. His inner thoughts were not betrayed by his demeanor, although he was betraying his heart with such patience.

"I wish... to learn."
Last edited by Jolace on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Teach you magick?"

The giddy voice entered his mind in a thoroughly surprised tone.

"Eh...no. Hihi. That's not what I do really. Have I made an introduction? I'm not sure I did."

The grasshopper jumped up and hovered in front of his face shortly while making it's introduction. "My name is Pretense Merrymaker Leafless the fourth, but you can call me Merry." It landed back on his leg. "I am what you might call a fae. We are wood spirits. Those little orbs back at the glade? Those were my cousins. We're all related you know. But I guess you do, you're a shaman now."

The grasshopper looked at Jolace, possibly trying to decide how to broach the next subject. "So let me explain a bit what it is I do...I am what you might call a guide. I talk to people who have the gift, teach them to understand their gift. I can't teach you magick, but I can help you find the path. For instance..." it turned towards Paw Lake again. "If you look at this lake, and think of the assignment you were given...what about it is stopping you from carrying it out? What is it that is stopping you? Had you not known what you know, how would you go about achieving what Gannas has asked you to do?"

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

"Charmed. I'm Jolace."

A slight smile formed on the kanthrop's lips. He'd never met a fae, and he knew nothing of them. This one seemed very friendly however, and he was very happy to have it as his spiritual guide. Its words were baffling, although comforting. He didn't understand this dilemma however, and the fae's clues didn't help him at all.

I have the gift. I am a shaman! Well, I shouldn't be celebrating just yet, because despite the tips and clues, this job isn't getting any easier. The thing that is stopping me is certainly the water. I cannot disturb the water, and to fetch the moss, I must swim down. If there is another way I do not know of it. Damn, this is going to be a long day...

"I can't... disturb... the water. But... to get the moss... I can't not disturb it..."

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Oh...hihi" Merry seemed thoroughly amused by Jolace's conundrum. "Gannas really does have a way with words, doesn't he? Got to love the old geezer. Though technically, I shouldn't be calling him old."

Merry hopped off of Jolace's leg, closer to the edge where the water met the rock below. She (for that is what it was) seemed to look down before continuing to speak once more. Her voice not apparently any less audible even though the distance between the two was now a few meters.

"You can't disturb the water...but you have to get the moss below. You seem confuddled by the word "disturb", am I right? So I ask you; what does that word mean to you?"

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Disturb... Well it's to make unhappy I guess. To offend? I suppose that I assumed he meant that the slightest ripple would disturb the water. Did he mean otherwise? Was he implying that the water had feelings and I had to be respectful of them? But... Water is water...

...Or perhaps the water is filled with spirits who wish not to be bothered, and I must be respectful of them. Yes, that seems like the most sensible answer. I guess I could try praying to the water spirits to ask their permission... Oh wait, Merry is expecting an answer from me...

"To upset... I... suppose."

The kanthrop knelt before the water and closed his eyes and began preparing himself for prayer. He wasn't sure if this was the right way to do it, but Merry stirred an uncertainty in him, and this seemed like the best course of action. He hadn't realized his misjudgment of the word 'disturb', but he was pretty confident now that he'd figured it out.

"Oh great water spirits..."

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"To upset is about right. You sh...what are you doing?"

Merry had started to talk when Jolace collapsed to his knees and started praying to the spirits of the water. She watched him with gleeful confusion, though that feeling emerged not from her facial expression, for she had a limited amount of that, but more from the hilarious laughter that emerged from her as the little grasshopper rolled around in the grass. A very unnatural look for a grasshopper.

"Hihihihi...hahahaha....ohohoh...great water spirits...hahahahaha...snif snif, I'm good now...I'm...WHAAHAHAHAHA!"

It took the spirit a good few burns to actually regain some composure again. She spent most of that time laughing really loudly.

"...heehee...erh...hum...yes...Sorry."

The grasshopper started to glow and meld into what appeared to be a little humanoid shape. A female emerged, about ten centimeters in height, with very colorful wings, roughly twice her body size. Her skin was entirely green, and completely naked, save for a few strategically placed strands of hair which flowed in the same myriad of colors from her head down almost the entire length of her body. The little fae flittered up, wiping the tears from her eyes as she set out to look stern and confident.

"You're a funny guy Jolace. Eager, and very funny. But eager isn't going to get you anywhere if you're talking to spirits. Trying to talk to spirits will most often just get you dead." She was actually using her mouth to speak now, the words coming out at the same volume and pitch as they had before, but now Jolace had a face to match the voice to. "See, I'm a nice spirit. I won't kill you. Though you might kill me if you keep being funny like that. But just dropping to your knees and praying to whatever spirit you come across isn't going to work. You'd be spending all your time groveling in the dirt at some point. So let me enlighten you a little bit..."

She flitted close to his head and touched his forehead with her index finger.

Immediately the whole world exploded into an array of color and sound Jolace had not imagined. Powerful light flowed from every living being, plants, animals, kanthrop. Everything around him glowed in it's own right, everything singing it's own song, penetrating his mind with melodies so diverse that he could not possibly fathom everything he saw and heard. Colors and sounds intermixed everywhere. Even the blotches of darkness he saw, the emotions he felt emanating from the dark recesses of the Howling Forest, even those were connected to the songs of the grass and the trees and the birds in the sky.

A flicker later, the sensation was gone and the world returned to it's normal state.

"Spirits are everywhere, in all forms, singing their own song and speaking their own languages. The trick is not to try and talk to them all, but to listen to what they have to say. If you want the water to approve of your presence, don't expect it to say; "hop right in", but listen to it regardless. You will know what I mean when you start listening."
Last edited by Brytan on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

I have to listen... Gods I'm such an idiot, of course! That's what Gannas was trying to tell me. I need to stop being so eager to get the attention of the spirits, and just listen to them, that's all. They aren't gods after all, so why should I grovel on my knees before them... Perhaps I should just listen as if I were one of them... Thank you Merry, I don't know what I would do without you.

"Right, listen. Thanks."

The kit then did the only thing he could think of, and he began to meditate again. This time, he kept an open ear though, his trance wasn't as consuming, for he was merely clearing his head to let other messages flow in more easily. If Merry had something to say, naturally he would hear it, but hopefully he might hear something of the water spirits while he listened.

He returned to his cross-legged position and rested his elbows on his knees, with his hands folded in front of him. His eyes were closed, and he patiently waited, and listened.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Merry nodded briskly and skittered off out of sight when Jolace started meditating, leaving him alone with his thoughts. At first, nothing seemed to come to Jolace. As he listened, all he heard was the wind in the trees, the rushing of the water deep down below him, the rustling of blades of grass.

His mind drifted on these sounds. He heard more and more as he delved his mind into meditation. And then, less and less. Time passed as he sat there listening, sound filling his ears until only one remained; a slow, pulsing beat.

The sound of his own heart, beating rhythmically in his chest.

Thump thump...thump thump...thump thump...

He heard it slow as his breathing adjusted to the sound around him. His body listened to the rhythm of the world and melded into it. He felt a great sensation of peace as he sat there...

Listening.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

There was nothing in his mind, other than the sound of his heartbeat and a great peace of mind. He had one thought, and that was the thought of listening. He wanted to hear what the spirits had to say, and he was going to do as he did with normal people, and keep quiet as he waited and thought deeply about whatever it was that he heard.

One of his legs stretched out before him, and he set it in the water, ankle-deep. He leaned forward to stretch the muscle out, in an attempt to relax his body and mind together as one.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Paw Lake's waters rushed in the wind. No tide disturbed the level of the water, though it's water level had dropped after the Collapse. The falls running over Ursa's Heart kept the water flowing from sources unknown though, and ripples of this disturbance met with every side of the lake at some point or another.

Jolace sat there for a while, listening to the sound of flowing water, his foot submerged.

At one point, he felt something brushing along the bottom of his foot, and then a flicker later around his toes. A fish was investigating the presence of the foot in the water. Were he to open his eyes, Jolace would see the fish swimming around his foot in small circles, nibbling on air on occasion, sometimes on his little toe.

Return to “Triangle Islands”