Surveying the Weald

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Surveying the Weald

Post by Guest »

Waneday, Jygust 30th, 1225 AD
As noon arrived in Kes'Levy, a young Adhiel man of joyfully bright dress and an apparently similar temperament sat in the shade by the city's southern gate. Fine, baggy silk sleeves extended along his arms from behind an emerald green doublet which wrapped tightly around his thin frame. Fine, silken hose stretched from his waste to a pair of comfortable waterproof boots, which were less a fashion item than the rest of his outfit - his shirt extended below his waste, and therefore his codpiece was covered, a preference of the youngster. Topping off his outfit was an outrageous hat, complete with a peacock feather.

The man sat with his back against a tree trunk, legs crossed. A full satchel lay at his feet. He had been reading a papyrus scroll which was now strewn on the ground beside him. A nosy passer-by would make out the title on this document: "The Night of the Great Conflagration." The well known article was a negative one which detailed the Conflagration and the plight of the Adhiel people, yet it had not fazed this young Adhiel at all. Fadra had read the scroll many times, and it served as his motivation method as well as having a focussing, meditative effect. Each time he laid eyes upon it, his determination to change the situation of T'aquar increased, and he dared himself to smile and not be overcome with grief.

And each time, the young Adhiel succeeded in this. At this point in time, however, he was just finishing off a mushroom salad. He looked toward the southern gate curiously - no humans ventured past that threshold anymore, they were all going missing. Could there be a resistance movement? He thought as he surveyed the gate. Fadra was sure there was, the pride of the Adhiel race alone was enough to create a nationalism within the inhabitants of T'aquar, his only question was whether they were doing the right thing in abducting people who might otherwise be innocent. Fadra wanted to find out what was happening in his beloved forest.

Fadra stood slowly, stooped to pick up his scroll, wound it up, and slipped it into his satchel. He walked toward the southern gate with a paradoxically cheery grin - he had decided to walk south and gain his first glimpse of what was once his home, now known as the Weald of Sorrow.
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

The Wiki wrote:Home to the ancient port city, Kes’Levy, this part of the Great Weald is the least isolated and remote, and is home to nearly all contact and communication with the Adhiel. The river Levy snakes through much of the northern Weald, right through the city and spills into the Northern Sea. Small farms and villages as well as ancient ruined castles and forts surround the trade city and it’s harbor.

The "Southern Gate" was little more than a natural archway formed by the intertwining branches of two great Ironwood trees, but the "Gate" was much more than it appeared to the naked eye. It was a simple arch, with a well worn path that lead in to the forest, but it was anything but simple.

The humans in the city generally avoided the gate, for once one walked through it and under it, one was considered to be in the northern Weald of T'aquar, home to the Adhiel, and that was dangerous to Humankind these days.

Fadra's departure from the city of Kes'Levy went relatively unnoticed. Once he stepped through the gate and into the border of the great forest, a sense of the vast expanse of the ancient trees could be felt all around. It was completely enveloping and encompassing, as if the trees themselves examined and embraced all who walked within its confines. To humans, it was an unsettling experience. To Adhiel, it felt much like a warm, comfortable hug from a long lost friend.

The wood stretched out before him, huge and beckoning. Gnarled roots tangled everywhere in his vision, twisting trunks stood silent and strong, the carpet of leaves whispered beneath his feet.

He had quite a long journey ahead of him.

Post by Guest »

Fadra looked up at the branches of the gate as he exited the city beneath them. Immediately as he stepped into the Weald proper he felt the warm embrace of the forest once again enveloping him. This was a feeling he hadn't experienced in a long time, one which erased the somberness and hesitation which had only moments before pervaded the back of his mind. He already felt free and fresh, and he was no longer worried that he didn't know the way back home to Taloh.

Fadra was no longer phased at the prospect of travelling there - he did not feel the need for greater visibility or faster travel. He would follow his instincts, trusting them to lead him back to his old home. It had seemed in Kes 'Levy to have been a lifetime since he had been there, and it seemed now in the Weald to have been only a matter of days. It was with gleeful temperament that Fadra proceeded, almost with a bounce, southward toward the Weald of sorrow. He was well aware that he had some distance to cover before he arrived at his destination, and so he'd packed a collection of vegetables into his satchel. These were not of a great number, however, and Fadra was therefore counting on stumbling into one of the many settlements located close to Kes'Levy for food and shelter.

He had been aware that his journey might be reckless and frivolous while in the port city, but he felt that he needed to see the Weald of Sorrow with his older eyes, and so the journey seemed worth any risk. Now, of course, all concern had evaporated from him. Some time into the journey he stopped for a rest. Seating himself on the root of a gnarled tree, Fadra looked skyward once again, spreading his arms out wide and returning the wonderful embrace of T'aquar around him. "Let the forest guide me," he found himself whispering, not feeling at all silly, "let the Mother lead me to the Weald of sorrow." For an instant then, Fadra seemed aware and sorrowful, but only a second. The truth was that he had repressed many of his darkest memories, and by doing so he had blinded himself to the magnitude of what he sought. While he was well aware of what had happened in Taloh Tel'Amrun, and the south of T'aquar itself, he had removed himself from the scene in order to cope with his grief. This journey would, he thought, reawaken his sorrows, and show him why he must change the order of things in T'aquar.

Fadra heaved himself up from the ground, a little suppressed since the beginning of his break but not noticeably so. He took one last look around him at the wood surrounding his resting spot then, grinning cheerily, set off once more on his southward weave through the northern Weald.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

It was a jaunty little path. An earthen track worn into bare ground on the forest floor. It made travel easy, and quick, and Fadra's passage was smooth and easy for many marks...

...until the track came to a sudden stop...

At the end was a short pillar of stone, shaped to resemble intertwining branches of ivy. Beyond the little marker the forest grew wilder and untamed and the narrow path gradually faded into nothingness, leaving no clear indication of which way to continue.

A squirrel jumped from branch to branch in the treetops above his head, and continued to move away quickly among the green roads that only squirrels could walk. The result was a leaf that twirled as it fell near his feet.

Silence loomed all around Fadra, but there was something to the silence. It was too quiet. The birds no longer chirped, the gentle puff of breeze fell calm, the insects ceased chirping.

It was as if the entire woodland around him was suddenly holding its breath...

Post by Guest »

Fadra surveyed the thick wood ahead of him. He couldn't make out a thing, but lack of vision was not the major source of his discomfort as he watched a leaf twirl down to land near his feet - the wood around him was dead silent, not in a comforting way but rather in a haunting one. The young Adhiel held his breath with the wood, hoping something would break the silence.

He took a step back, looking around him, hoping to see something. It was only now that the pillar became an object of attention. He proceeded to it, brushed it with his finger tips, and looked it up and down for anything he could recognise. Why is this pillar here, right as the path disappears He wondered as he crouched at it's base, he felt he must be somewhere important, and so was cautious in temperament and action - his cheery skip had disappeared with the noises of the wood to be replaced with a perplexed frown.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"It is a trail marker." A voice suddenly said.

The speaker was sitting on a fallen tree, drinking from a skin. Until now Fadra had neither seen nor heard him. He wore a green robe and cloak, and had his hair pulled away from his face with a narrow thong of woven strips of grass or leaves. A slender walking staff leaned against the fallen trunk as well.

"Many yahren ago, it was part of a system of roads and trails through the Wealds. Now it is nothing more than a distant reminder of things gone by."

He held up his waterskin, pointing towards Fadra with it's spout.

"It is a fortunate thing I encountered you first. The Raidhiel patrol this area more than any other Weald in all of T'aquar. They are just as likely to kill you as speak with you."

He took a long drink, and corked the spout with a tap of his palm.

"Alone is not a good thing to be in these parts. Who are you, and where are you headed?"

Post by Guest »

(OOC: I'm SO sorry, I've had no internet on my computer, had to borrow one)

Fadra was surprised that the voice didn't cause him any shock. He remained looking at the trail marker for an instant then turned to the speaker to observe him. He felt no threat - after all if he had wanted Fadra dead this man would already have gone about his work. This instinct was further confirmed by what the man said.

The young Adhiel's brow raised when he heard about the Raidhiel patrol's temperament - he had not counted on trouble because of his race, and he was somewhat disappointed in himself for his lack of seeing. Fadra said his name when it was asked, and told the man he was headed to his old home of Taloh, "What is your name, friend," he said cheerily, now composed after the former silence, "If I may ask?"
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"Well then Fadra, let me save you a long and dangerous trip. There is nothing left of our glorious Taloh Tel'Amrun. Our once fairest of all jewels now looks like the remains of some giant campfire. Blackened and scorched trees lie amidst ash heaps. It is a grim, silent place now, and the music that once lived there has been forever silenced."

The stranger picked up his staff and adjusted the waterskin's strap on his shoulder.

"I am Alzihair."

It was a name Fadra was distantly familiar with. Much like a citizen knowing the name of a country's ruler.

"If I were you, I'd decide upon a new destination. The path to Taloh Tel'Amrun is fraught with danger, and the end result is likely not worth the trip. Remember it as it was, you'll be better off."

Alzihair stood there and examined the young man, waiting for him to make a move towards his new destination.

Post by Guest »

Vanadius wrote:"Well then Fadra, let me save you a long and dangerous trip. There is nothing left of our glorious Taloh Tel'Amrun. Our once fairest of all jewels now looks like the remains of some giant campfire. Blackened and scorched trees lie amidst ash heaps. It is a grim, silent place now, and the music that once lived there has been forever silenced."

The stranger picked up his staff and adjusted the waterskin's strap on his shoulder.

"I am Alzihair."

It was a name Fadra was distantly familiar with. Much like a citizen knowing the name of a country's ruler.

"If I were you, I'd decide upon a new destination. The path to Taloh Tel'Amrun is fraught with danger, and the end result is likely not worth the trip. Remember it as it was, you'll be better off."

Alzihair stood there and examined the young man, waiting for him to make a move towards his new destination.

Alzihair explained exactly what Fadra had expected to see, but the young Adhiel didn't move in any direction as Alzihair hoped. Instead he grimanced, leaned backward to the support of a nearby tree trunk, and sunk slowly to the ground. "Off where?" He murmured quietly, almost to himself. He looked groundward, "I don't feel I have anywhere to go now... Kes'Levy is not my true home" He remained like this for a long moment, seeming deep in troubled thought. Finally, looked up at his new acquaintance and scanned him thoughtfully, where had he heard the name Alzihair before? Brushing his hair backward a little, the youth looked his elder in the eye questioningly, hoping that the curiosity he felt a great need to express would not offend, "Have I heard of you before, and where exactly are you headed?"

At last, Fadra spoke the questions which had been nagging him. He looked down again at the soil below him, brushing it with his finger and feeling every bit the fool as he awaited a reply.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Alzihair smiled demurely, dropping his chin as he did so.

"Yes, you probably have heard of my great shame and failure. It is known far and wide throughout these lands."

He didn't elaborate on it any further, instead moving on to answer Fadra's next question, as he raised his head and smiled more genuinely.

"There is a place, deep within the forest that I wish to see with my own eyes. A seed was planted not long ago. The fruit of it will change this place forever, and before I depart, I would look upon it so that I might remember something young and green again."

Alzihair regarded the younger Fadra carefully.

"Perhaps you should accompany me. Instead of seeing a place of death and ash, it might be that you wish to see something young and new yourself, eh?"

Post by Guest »

Vanadius wrote:Alzihair smiled demurely, dropping his chin as he did so.

"Yes, you probably have heard of my great shame and failure. It is known far and wide throughout these lands."

He didn't elaborate on it any further, instead moving on to answer Fadra's next question, as he raised his head and smiled more genuinely.

"There is a place, deep within the forest that I wish to see with my own eyes. A seed was planted not long ago. The fruit of it will change this place forever, and before I depart, I would look upon it so that I might remember something young and green again."

Alzihair regarded the younger Fadra carefully.

"Perhaps you should accompany me. Instead of seeing a place of death and ash, it might be that you wish to see something young and new yourself, eh?"
Fadra had little idea what past shame Alzihair was referring to, and little did he care either. The elder man had offered the younger a place to go, and Fadra was at once uplifted. Reassuming his jovial grin, he climbed to his feet and set about straightening his satchel trap to allow easy movement.

"That sounds like a wonderful offer, and so I think I'll take it up," the youth said cheerfully. Alzihair seemed to have a great connection to this forest - certainly a greater one than Fadra could possibly have formed during his short existence. As a result, the young Adhiel felt honoured to accompany him to wherever it was he planned to go. He said as much to Alzihair: "Please, lead the way. It is good to have someone to talk to."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"The road is always made shorter with good company and good conversation." Alzihair intoned as he agreed with Fadra.

"Come, let us be on our way then."

The elder Adhiel almost immediately left the path behind, climbing right into the teeth of the trees and and followed no discernible path as he walked, leading them into a deeper, darker part of the forest. He seemed to move unhindered through the low hanging branches and ground cover at something between a brisk walk and a leisurely pace.

"I don't have to tell you what happened since our beloved Taloh Tel'Amrun was destroyed, but perhaps you would like to hear what has happened since, yes?"

Without waiting for a response from Fadra, Alzihair launched into his tale.

"The Tari was dead, the Wealds were in Chaos. There were many who wished to flee this place after the fires. Many who wanted nothing more to do with this world and great arguments were had over building ships and sailing over the green seas to find new lands and new places in which to live in peace. Advice was sought from the eldest of us on how to proceed, where direction to sail in and so forth, but there was a quiet voice among the din of heated discussions that somehow rang out and caused all to fall silent and listen."

"It was the voice of a very old Adhiel named Meridion. Meridion was the Keeper at the Bhiradun Aidhiquir. He was an assistant to Governor Ryllinda Harroest, with a menial but important job of dealing with the day to day administrative tasks of running the school. Meridion's voice was quiet and calm, in fact, few had ever really heard him speak before. I'll never forget his words on that day, he said, 'Why should we flee? Is our culture and our history not to live beyond these yahren? We have dwelt here for centuries, and we can continue to dwell here until the end of time if we deem it important enough.' He was a quiet man, but those words spoke in his gentle voice may as well have been shouted from the tallest tree in all of T'aquar."

Alzihair stepped over a fallen tree and examined the dead wood for a moment before continuing.

"It was then and there that we decided to fight. Elevie and E'iunn took the mantle of the Achlaroiliu. The Seed of the Evergreen was planted, and all who set foot into the sacred Wealds are destroyed. T'aquar has it's autonomy back, and once again the forest and its children grow."

Alzihair looked back at Fadra to gauge his reaction to the tale as he finished.

"The seedling has sprouted. It grows now in the heart of the forest, fed by the eternal wellspring."

Alzihair smiled gently.

"Gives one hope, does is not?"
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Locked and archived in hopes of the players return.

Return to “T'aquar Archive”