[Aveas] Someone's gotta do it - Jygust 30th MT - Baze

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

[Aveas] Someone's gotta do it - Jygust 30th MT - Baze

Post by Brytan »

Jygust 30th - Morningtide
Cave of the Heart camp - Aveas

Baze would find himself waking to a morningtide in one of the large tents posted outside the Cave of the Heart. The Kanthrop camp on the isle of Aveas, formerly Pan's Isle, was not as large as Valley Village but then it only held the kit and their caretakers, aswell as a handful of hunters to guard them. Jolace and Valen, two of the kit who resided with him in the tent had already left, others were still sleeping.

As he woke and stepped outside, he was met with the sight of a campfire already burning in the fireplace in the middle between the tents. A large pot stewing something on the fire. A pot cared for by Kaila, who had been assigned to take care of the kit in the camp. She was like a mother to most of the unawakened. In fact, she was like a mother to many of the Kanthrop in the village.

The stew smelled like a mixture of corn, grains and meat. There were few others out yet. It was early and the gravetide chill hadn't completely lifted in the light of the morningtide sun. It proved to be a nice day however, safe from the Cryer threat. At least breakfast seemed promising.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

Giving a yawn Baze slowly opens his eyes and sighs. Only thing good about morring is the waking part. As he yawns looking down watching feeling something move upon his toes ,giving a wiggle “o hello there little spider” He says letting this toe touch the side of the sleeping mat gently brushing the spider off. Rolling out of bed, he slowly stretches enjoying the cool air, taking a moment to look around the camp before slowly rolling off his bedding and smiles thinking to him self. The children where safe this night so the night was good.

“Good morning mother kaila” Baze says letting his nose drag him to wards the smell of the cooking fire. “How do you fair this wonderful morning?” He says sliping closer to the cooking fire trying to swipe a little nibble of food before kaila would notice his target. The snatch nibbles always seemed to taste so much better. “Soooo what how are you doing this morning?” He says trying to look innocent and peering into the top of the pot seeing if there is anything floating. He can pick with his fingers. Giving a sigh and watching it all boiling slowly he decided to save the skin on his fingers with a sheepish grins. “It smells really good this morning is there anything one could do to help in order to get an early nibble?” Bring you a cloak or go fetch you something if you need anything.” He says with a smile. Thinking a moment not really a true moment, just popping the next idea in to his head. “Where did the two that where in the tent with me get off to? Most of the times I am an early riser now I feel like I slept in.”
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Kaila smiled at Baze as he approached the cooking fire. "Morningtide Baze dear, slept well then I suppose?" She stirred a bit more in the stew which seemed to be coming along nicely. "If you grab a nap from that pile over there, I'll be glad to pour you a cup deary. Nothing like a little breakfast to get a beautiful day going."

She kept stirring silently and patiently as Baze fired a few more questions at her.

"Oh, you mean Jolace and Valen? I think I saw those two dart off to the beach to meet with Groas. They seemed quite eager to get going, didn't even stop for a bite."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

"Yes Kaila very well the little ones kept me up all night playing and story telling. Or I kept them up one of the too but I will blame them." Baze said with a chuckle. Looking over to the nap he grins taking a few quick steps and back with two nap's. "One for you as well Kaila if you wish it." He says setting one down by her holding out his small dish for Kaila to fill wish an impish grin.

"Ah they are going to their training then. That would not do me much good to head over and join them right now then." He say's with a shiver. "Not that water is bad in small amounts a glass of water here and there is more then fine but a lake I think I would rather walk the tree's then dip my toes" Do you know where the Bird of play trainer is this day Kaila as sometime this morning I feel I should make my way over there I have been putting this off for a long time now I fear." Baze say's still with his impish grin. "I may be fishing with my feet before long.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Bird of prey trainer?" Kaila giggled. "Deary, I haven't heard anyone call Oni that for yahren. You have been stuck in a rut haven't you?" Most of the kit these days referred to their Kanthan simply by their name. That or by the title of Kanthan, which was the Kanthrop word for "teacher or mentor". The tribe counted three Kanthan, one for every element the Kanthrop forms could master. Oni Swifttalon was the Kanthan of air, and charged with training the bird warpers. Petran Shadowbreath was the Kanthan of earth, charged with training those whose paws touched land. And then there was Groas Wavebreaker, the Kanthan of water. Who saw himself faced with a couple of new pupils to teach and even showed his face in the village again after having lived for some time in near total seclusion on Pan's Isle.

"But...yes. I reckon Oni will be around somewhere. I saw her not a mark before. She said something about scouting to the south. Told her she shouldn't stray too far lest her pupils require her attention. She said she'd be within a mark's walk, so perhaps you should go find her?"

She scooped up some stew from the pot and put it in the naps Baze provided, stopping to stir for a moment to enjoy the food along with him. A waterskin lay by a log, which she picked up and offered to the kit. "Drink deary, and eat well. I'm sure Oni won't want to train you if you intend to fall over after a burn of walking." She laughed. It was jest ofcourse, Kaila nearly always smiled.

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

"Well I am older and am trying to use the proper name." He said with a grin touching the corner of his cheeks and eye's. Taking his nap he smiled taking a mouth full, shutting his eye's for a moment until he swallowed, one would assume he was a cat for he almost purred as he finished the mouthful. "Yummy most true most true it would not be good for me to fall over in hunger or thirst." He said with giving a stretch. "Though I should get going soon I think. The sooner I get this over with the sooner I can fall back to sleep this night in my bed as I fear it will take me more then a mark to find her unless she find me." He said with a chuckle.

Taking a few more mouth fulls of food then tipping the nap up to get the last few drop's. "My thanks mother Kaila for the nibble of food he said setting his nap down. Walking over to were he woke. Picking up his spear and slipping his two daggers in to his belt he gives a soft sigh. Checking over this things he smiles going back to Kaila he smiled leaning in and giving her a kiss to her cheek. "My thanks mother for the meal It will be a long day."

Starting to walk he hoisted his speak and picks his pace up to a run. She can't be that far Though after about fifteen minutes he is breathing hard and slows him self down. Hand on his knees he takes a moment with sweat dripping off his nose before slowly standing him self back up and walking now. Oh that was smart I will get there and will want to die. Now keeping his eye to the sky as well as the tree's as he walk. Hoping to catch a sound or a glimmer of her he heads farther and farther south trying to make as little sound as possible though ever now and this his foot stepping on a old try twig that he just did not or his spear bumping something.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Baze would find walking through the woods here quite a change from what Ursa had been like for the past yahren. He had seen it change from a peaceful refuge into a battle worn combat zone, in which all of them huddled in their huts as night fell and the Cryers took the scene. Here, there seemed to be no imprint of the darkness they brought. The forest was pure, birds chirped in the canopy and small animals skittered away before the kanthrop who made his way through the underbrush as silently as possible.

His feline brethren would undoubtedly laugh at his attempts, but by comparison he still did a right deal better than his human counterparts. He also made good time. After about half a mark Baze reached a small clearing, a single treestump in the middle, the cracked off top of the tree lay beside it, scorched and burned. Probably the remnant from one of the thunderstorms that struck the isle every now and then during the fall season.

Atop the fallen tree sat a pristinely white falcon, dotted here and there with black flecks along the breast. Her golden eyes shining in the sunlight as they were pinned on where the young kanthrop stood.

"Well, good morningtide to you Baze. It's been a while..." the falcon spoke.

It had indeed been a while since Oni and he had last spoken. She usually spent more time training the younger kit. Baze had learned much already though for some reason his warp had not yet been achieved.

"What brings you to my little nook of the forest?"

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

Walking He loved he could do it all day into the late trade tide before tiring. Tree's where nice though he did have to wonder what they looked light from up above sure he has climbed a few fell from a few as well but he never was able to get up higher then the tree line it's self. Giving a soft out letting of his breath as he saw his tree laying on it's side it was one he loved sitting under it's shade on the hotter parts of the day.

"Ack!" Left his lips as he jumped back a little before grinning sheepishly at Oni. "Sorry Oni you gave my little heart a start I did not know the tree fell when did it meet it's demise?" Baze said walking towards Oni giving a bow before sitting his spear down then sitting cross legged before her. "You did in truth, I have been putting things off, I am helping with the kit but there is more that I could be doing I don't feel what I do is fair. I am with the younger ones at the night but I want to do more." He said softly. He was a little ashamed of always being in the back even if he would not fight unless nothing else he could do he could at least help scout.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Oni flapped her wings a few times, giving her enough lift to descend from her perch down to the stump. After landing her golden eyes met his again as he spoke.

"Funny how many of our younger kit are so timid. At lest he's direct..."

"The tree? Oh. I'm not sure. But looking at it I'd say it's been like this for a yahren, if not more." Indeed, on closer inspection the rotting of the wood, aswell as the growth of moss and small plants and mushroom in and around the fallen shell of the once proud forest giant indicated it had been in this position for quite some time.

"So. You came looking for me? Well, to be honest you did not make a big secret out of that. I really should have worked a bit more on stealth with you, shouldn't I? Then again, that's more Petran's hangup. I prefer the open and direct attack rather than stalking the shadows like a cat." She winked. Something a bird would be virtually incapable of doing, giving her animal form something distinctly human.

"And what exactly is it you want to do? No one is stopping you from participating, are they? It is good to have desires and wishes, but you'll have to give me a bit more to work with if you want me to help you."

Ofcourse, she already knew what he wanted. But it was good tradition amongst the Kanthan to wait for a particular sentence to determine if their kit were ready for Awakening. Some ofcourse Awakened well enough without it, but Baze seemed to her like he was steering for the traditional. And who was she to withhold him the honor?

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

"Pitty it's shade use to be so refreshing." He said with a smile as Oni landed. Every thing changes but the sky above and the earth below. Giving a visible wince he kind of grinned a little about the stealth comment. True he said with a nod I am not as graceful in the woods as our forest Brothers and sisters the cat's or wolves..... Though one thing we have over them." Baze paused for a moment lowering his head before bringing it up with a grin that touched his eye's . "Hair balls we don't have to worry about them." Giving a laugh before leaning back smiling really hoping a cat was not lurking around.

"What is it that I want to do?" He said giving a long pause he looked down and fidgeting a little he twitted his fingers eye's looking left and right quickly before stopping. Letting his lungs fill then exhale he looked back an Oni. "I want to be up there." He said looking up to the sky not looking back he started to continue speaking softly. "I wish to feel whole. Right now I feel like half a being when I wake walk laugh I feel half of me is not there, It feels like it just over my shoulder but when I reach for it it slips past my fingers like a mist of the lakes it is there but I can not grasp it nor embrace it." Looking Back to Oni letting his eye's meet her's "I wish you to help make me hole I wish to be able to touch the clouds. I wish you to help me get in touch with my inner self and take flight and feel a new form, feel one." Baze said with a sigh letting his body almost slump from relief of getting it off his chest stepping over his fear of doing so. He had never really spoken of it but It was something he needed for a while now though always being fearful of saying it out loud.

Looking one back in the eye's he grinned at her though it was somewhat a sickly grin though grinning made him feel better so he kept it on his face and a few flickers it was a true heart felt smile that warmed his golden eye's. "Something I needed to say for a longtime Oni though I was fearful of it as well strangely enough most I think are chomping at the bit to change not standing in the shadows wanting it though fear full of it at the same time. As strange as that sounds." With a chipper voice he finished up and waited as he just realized he rambled on and she probably did not want to hear all that mumbo jumbo just that he wished to learn to morph but the cat was in with the chickens he though to him self with a small smile before wiping it off his lips as he waited for her response.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Very well..."

Oni ruffled her feathers a bit, using her beak to straighten them back out.

"Then today we shall begin your trials." She flapped her wings a few times, took off from the stump and circled the meadow a few times before landing back up high on the tree stump.

"Since we lack our usual training place, and I do not want to expose you to the Cryers, we'll start you off on the isle here." She looked around a few times. "The objective is simple; find a feather of a golden hawk and bring it to me. The creatures live in the centaur meadow to the east. Do that and I reckon we'll have made some progress."

And with that, she took off, dropping from the tree once more, quickly spiraling upwards and out of sight after, leaving Baze with no more time to ask questions. He was on his own once more.

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

Hearing her not wanting to expose him to the Cyrers He grinned though when she planned to send him out east he sigh's. From a high to low in just a few flickers flat she is going to try and get me eaten He mused to him self before be for standing up giveing a stretch. looking around at the sun and the land scape for a moment before picking his spear and daggers back up as he jog's to the edge of the tree's. I wonder how far east I hope not two far I want to be back for lunch He had a little extra food in his bag but enjoyed fresh meat better then the smoked meat. Checking his Gear over one more time quickly before stepping in to the Trees.

This time moving at a much slower pace Watching his footing as his Weapon very closely. Walking wide of dead treads or half dieing ones and using the but of his spear to push twigs aside. He made his way east word having a feeling this trip could be very unhealthy for him.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The forests of Aveas were pleasant. The Howling Forest back on Ursa had become a deathtrap of Cryer attacks, nasty rocky outcroppings jutting from the ground and broken trees where the Collapse had left it's marks.

Here, no such unpleasantries hindered the young Kanthrop as he made his way towards the rising sun. The sun shone, casting a pleasant warmth through the canopy as birds chirped overhead and rabbits and other small animals skittered through the underbrush, rushing away from the approaching footsteps.

As Baze walked a mark, two, three perhaps, the light changed to tradetide. The sun was almost directly above him as he came upon a fallen tree, covering the expanse over a small river which rushed below. The current seemed strong as the water rushed past beneath the wood of the tree, which lay there like a natural bridge to bring together the two shores of the river. Approaching the tree however, Baze would find all sound suddenly removed from the area around him. Like someone flicked a switch and turned the volume to 0 as he approached the bridge. Then, a deep resonating voice emanated from somewhere apparently in front of the Kanthrop.

"None shall pass."

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

Enjoying the walk in the tree's he did make a mental note or two about there the rabbit's disapeared and where sited as he loved rabbit meat and he would have to return on his way back and if Mother was willing he would have a lovely cooked rabbit meal. Mmmm yummy have the spices on me He thought to him self as he did a quick look in to his pouch. Though he did miss his home forest this was a really interesting place though no place was like home where you could climb trees that you have been up since you could recall and rest the day a way or a run though the grass or the joy of the hunt.

With the sound slowly fading from his ears it got his hair up a little even him walking past the trees did not trigger that kind of a response. He knew there was a hunter in the area though what would be the key. Reaching the Bridge he was almost waiting for something though the voice caught him a little off guard as he looked around as best he could slowly scanning area of where the sound came from. "Why not?" He said with a ping of annoyance in his voice. backing up 2 steps to put him just that much closer to the tree's until he found where the voice came from.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Why not?"

The booming voice sounded somewhat...baffled.

"What do you mean why not? What kind of stupid question is that...why not?"

Something caught Baze's attention. To the left of the tree there was a bush. A few of the leaves rustled while no wind seemed to touch them.

"Because I says so...that's why. Now scram, ugly, beat it!"

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

"That was a stupid Question? The statement you gave none shall pass was a silly reason." Baze said walking slowly towards the log not really scared as his curiosity was spike now, with the way it reacted to his question something more scared of him then he would be of it.... He hoped letting his golden eye's watch the bush for any kind of movement. Holding his spear ready still he kept the point down and somewhat away trying to make it look less threatening. "Show you self creature. You call me ugly?! But you are the one who must hide behind the tree's.

He say's looking at the rustle of the tree's pointing his spear tip too wards the center of the bush, then letting it fall back pointing down wards again. Slowly stepping upon the log testing it to make sure it was solid and not to slippery so that he had good footing upon it. As he did not want bath as he had already had one. "I don't mean you harm but I must cross!"
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Instead of something coming out from behind the bush, the entire bush got up and walked towards Baze. Or rather, it rose up several feet in the air, turning out to be something that resembled hair of a rather odd looking creature. It had a rather plump figure, was brown and green in color with moss and all sorts of twigs and leaves apparently sticking out everywhere where hair might normally reside. In one hand the creature held something akin to a club as it dragged it's long arms along the ground until the entire thing stopped dead in front of Baze, barring him passage along the bridge. Standing his awesome length of four feet in total.

His voice sounded a little less impressive now when it spoke;

"It's the rules see, can't pass. That's it. I'm a troll, this is a bridge. You can't pass. It's in the handbook. I mean...play along will you? It's my first day an all..."

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

Jumping back about 3 feet before stopping him self from turning to a dead run. He walked slowly back toward the Creature. "Troll what is a troll?" He said cautiously though he did not raise his spear up, he did look the Beast over slowly thinking to him self I wonder what he tastes like... Mmmmm maybe fish I love fish. "Strange what rule book say's I can not cross?" He said still cautiously though trying to keep his voice light sounded though he was highly annoyed... I would just try to kill the beast but he was not sure what it was at all and you know why they say killed the cat he thought to him self with a grin though it did sound like a dumb creature at least.

"Play a long with what? I don't under stand the rules at all, Do they say Baze can not cross or what do they say" He said tilting his head the other way with his eye's catching the sunlight for a moment as they sparkled golden before the shadows hid them again. "This is a job what do you make doing it? and who pays you? and why would they pay you do do that?" He rattled off the questions quickly with a friendly smile upon his face.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Erh..."

The creature seemed rather stumped about all the questions Baze directed at him. He had not had any customers yet and the first one of them did not know what he was?

"You don't know what a troll is? What rock did you crawl out from under? Sheesh man, it's my first day. Give me a break." The troll seemed a bit annoyed, and confused at the same time. "Listen, it's simple; trolls watch bridges. This is a bridge. If someone comes up to the bridge we go; None shall pass! You dig?" He sighed. "Then you go; What is the fair? And then I go; Answer me once and proceed... It's all in the book, Pan. And here I was thinking all you Panlings had us figured out by now..."
Last edited by Brytan on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

Baze still slowly closing the gap thinking keep talking let me get closer. Though he was somewhat amused by this troll. Pity he was going to have to kill him though it was a really really ugly creature he did feel somewhat sorry for it but it was blocking the road. Keeping his spear as none hostile looking as he could he blinked at the troll?

"Fair? What kind of fair? and why is the fair a question seems like a silly fair or do your kind guard knowledge? What is the fair?" He rattled off quickly in one Breath.? Paneling? I am not a paneling what is this... this thing you call me." His voice was not happy at all as it took on a guarded tone. It insults him what a dumb creature or maybe that is what his kind is called to the out side world. In a calmer tone. "Do you insult me troll?" He said still calmly though it did sound like he was biting each word off. His spear had changed its position a little in to a slightly more hostile position across his chest with both hands holding it tightly. Though on his face his anger read like and open book if looks could kill it would be safe to say the troll knows it would be fighting for it's life.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The troll didn't seem the slightest bit intimidated as Baze encroached upon him. He just stood there, his leafy hair bristling in the breeze, the water behind him rushing along. Green eyes gazed back at the Kanthrop with apparent confusion and determination.

"It's PAN-ling. P...A...N...Man if you can't even pronounce it then you must not be one...Oh, oh, right. You asked the question!" He suddenly seemed to realise that somewhere amidst the barrage of questions from Baze he had asked the troll about the fair. His voice returned to "boom mode".

"Hrmhrm...To pass this bridge,
upon to thee
I bestow you questions three.
Answer them in truth will ye.

One; Give your name so it be said,
Two; Which destination lies ahead?
Three; What gift bring ye to faer folk dead?"

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

If Baze was not so furious with this strange creature he would have laughed the creature seemed almost addle minded... an to let it watch over some thing... what was the last thing this strange thing said.. faer folk dead? his mind turned. Blaze play a long for a few more moments to get past things thing then you can get your feather and go home. his mind said trying... oh so trying to calm his heart.

"My Name is Baze.... My hunt is to find a large bird.. I bring no gift other then my respect for the dead that rest under the soil in yonder ground as they are not mine to leave an offering for nor do I know what they or there past." He finish in a calm voice. he always had respect for the dead as they lived there life and there spirits must be respected. "Do you let me pass now in peace creature?"
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The troll seemed to ponder Baze's answer for a few flickers. His eyes never leaving the kanthrop who had told him as much as he was going to. Or so it seemed.

"Hmm...The Book demands an offering of sorts. Something tangible. Your respect doesn't hack it friend. So I can't let you pass. Sorry. Rules is rules is rules as my daddy always says."

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

Baze giving an exasperated breath. . opening his pouch he looks around it for a moment taking out a carved comb. Passing it to the creature. with his knuckles white on the spear. "Payment then." he grumbles livid. "Now can I pass creature?"
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The troll took the comb and glanced at it with a somewhat confused look in his eyes. Ofcourse, it was hard to tell what kind of look he had in his eyes since he seemed to consist mostly of bark and leaves to begin with. It was like attempting to gauge the emotions of a tree stump.

"You may pass." It eventually replied in his booming voice. He stepped aside to where he had been before, giving way for Baze to cross the tree that spanned the stream before him.

Return to “Triangle Islands”