How did you choose your starting area?

This board is dedicated to both official and fun polls to prevent Banter being cluttered by the zillion questions we'd like to ask!

Moderators: saskia, Maeve, Meridiuz, Syra, Mods

How did you choose the area your current PC started in?

The wiki write-up was interesting and well written
No votes
I wanted to be a knight/Kanthrop/wizard/companion etc. and it seemed like the best place for that
25%
I wanted to write with the mod(s) there
13%
I wanted to write with the players there
No votes
I wanted to play in a large area with lots of players and posts
25%
I wanted to play in a small area
6%
I wanted to be involved in a specific theme (please specify)
6%
Other (please specify)
25%

Total votes: 16

Morg

How did you choose your starting area?

Post by Morg »

Because I'm curious. :P

If you had multiple reasons, try to choose the most important one to you. If your reason was completely different to any of the above, post here and explain yourself!
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Well, Amber is from Dort, and since she was young and just starting out in her life's adventures, it made sense for her to start in Dort. From the beginning, as it were.

As for my second character, Reise, she was from Roque d'Ancourt, but I was advised to start her in King's Court as it was more populated and I'd have a better chance of getting a decent thread going. Since she was interested in politics on a larger scale, it wasn't much of a stretch to say she'd made the trip to the city to see what sort of trouble she could get up to. ;)
Cowgirls Exotica's "Queen of Hearts" - 2008
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Back in the heydays of ezboard I needed a lot of help making my character. Of course, there wasn't a wiki back then. And my character concept fitted the Emerald Guard most of all, and it seemed interesting, so the mod helping me on my sheet advised me to head off to Taquar. And now, after 4 or 5 years, I'm back where I started, although the lay of the land has changed a bit.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

Post by Gerrard MacKaree »

A combination of sorts.
First, I thought the EE would need the influx from players so it was also a way of being helpful as I thought not a lot of players would jump into something new. I was right there.
Second, the wiki write up was EXTENSIVE. Lots of details, really good. Loved it.
And third, I wanted to start out in a small area, which, by being new, the EE would be in my little cosy mind. So there you go.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

When Gaelena started off in Roque, I chose it because it seemed like an easy place for her to get settled in and yet remain anonymous, in case a member of her family decided to search for her. Who knew that she'd wander all over?

With Anora, I needed somewhere with lots of people with lots of pockets. Really, a pickpocket wouldn't do very well in a small area.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Post by Hastarl Ras'diath »

I wanted Hastarl to be a thief of some sort sp the Mouth seemed most fitting, and being a large area hepled a lot too.
[i]"Abandon the Search for Truth... Settle for a Good Fantasy"[/i]

Quote [url=http://www.rpggateway.com]RPGGateway[/url]
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

When I joined KC was the largest city (Cit didn't even exist yet!) and Ash was a thief, so being in a place with noble's pockets seemed to make sense. ::grins toward Anora::
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
H`saan Alai
Civus

Post by H`saan Alai »

My first starting loc, Dort, was chosen pretty much at random. The fact that it was supposed to have a really cool library sealed the deal...

Sabata was H'saan's starting point. It seemed like a good environment for having proper questy adventures, which is what I wanted to do with the character. What really sold it though was the awesomeness of modding ;).

Claire? Needed a busy starting location, which was the Cita. However, I suspect I jumped the gun a bit in launching my plans for her, without getting the foundations of the character right.
[size=75][b]Seriously baby, I can prescribe anything I want - Dr Nick Riviera, The Simpsons[/b]

Avatar by Mockery at allavatars.com[/size]
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

(Bit of a long story compared to others... apologies, I'm far too verbose.)

When first I arrived here and was brand new, I actually chose the Citadel for Finley - and believe it or not, for cosmetic reasons, I think! The location description was the most compelling to me, with its concentric rings. I could imagine it clearly in my mind, and I liked what I saw. And then... about a day after I submitted my sheet, the Citadel abruptly closed! Grant's reorganisation, back in 2005... (ages ago, huh?) I remember being a bit disappointed about that. Anyway, so I was obliged to choose somewhere else. One of the mods (I forget exactly who) suggested World's Mouth instead, and I decided to take that advice... so that's where I ended up.

Now, I can't imagine having gone anywhere else. It's a very weird thought. Particularly when you take into consideration the fact that my very first posts, right there in World's Mouth, were the place where Finley first met Nico... where I first 'met' the man I'm now married to. Would we have even become friends, if I'd been playing on a different part of the board? A rather scary idea.

For all my other PCs (various people) I've had more of an end goal in mind... so the dark adhiel started in Gul, the amunic slave went to the Citadel, the pirate went to Nether's Gate... all chosen for very specific (and probably fairly obvious) reasons. I don't think I could 'choose' in the same way as I did back then again, though, since back then I knew nothing at all about any of the locations or people, despite fairly comprehensive research at the time. I think some things you have to learn by just being around.
Last edited by Finley Ward on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Poll Board”