Discussing a dark soul - Annuir - Jyg 30 TT (Traj & Crag

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Craghley

Discussing a dark soul - Annuir - Jyg 30 TT (Traj & Crag

Post by Craghley »

Craghley had thanked Shylah for her assistance, and given Trajan a nod of farewell on his way to the door. Stepping out into the open air, he breathed deeply - the shop behind him had been thick with the scent of herbs and salves, enough for the air out here to feel sharp and clear. Ah, the mountains, though Craghley. Even in town, there is no air so free. He took three steps into the street before Trajan's voice came from the doorway.

"She gave you back your pipe."

Craghley stopped. Sucked his teeth thoughtfully and turned around to face the man. He was, truthfully, a little lost as to what to say to that - but he knew exactly who he meant.

"Aye."

Who knew about the girl? Himself, certainly, but it seemed as though nobody he had spoken to had met Laewin (asides from Penth)... but Craghley did know now that he recalled it, that in Chyril members of the Pax Honestus had turned up dead at times which coincided with her 'games'. It was enough to make a stab in the dark.

"Are ye a legionnare? I guess ye would hae seen her afore the Day of Darkness."
Last edited by Craghley on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trajan Constantine Aeneas
Civus

Post by Trajan Constantine Aeneas »

Trajan had finished his tea and was meditating quietly when he Craghley Donovan crossed his field of vision. The achadheil nodded as he passed but otherwise made no sound or superfluous movement as he crossed the shop and exited. Trajan quickly stood and followed. Craghley hadn’t gone far, in fact he was fewer than five steps from the shops stoop when Trajan called to him, opening with the only information he was sure would get the achadheils attention without drawing undue notice to them. And true to expectations, it stopped the other man in his tracks. He turned back to face Trajan after a few flickers had passed and responded simply, and positively. Then he asked a question Trajan had not anticipated.

“Are ye a legionnaire?” he asked, “I guess ye would hae seen her afore the Day of Darkness.” While he had been expecting other questions, such as “How did you know that?” or “Who gave me back my pipe?” or “What have you been smoking?” the one that had been presented was not unreasonable nor entirely off the mark. Trajan marveled at the fellows astuteness as he stepped out of the shop properly, closing the door behind him quietly.

“I was.” He replied. “Once. Not so long ago.” Trajan watched the other man’s face as he spoke. “But that is history and not the topic of this conversation at all.” He continued as he stepped in close to the other man and leant in closely, attempting to place one hand upon the fellows shoulder. “We need to talk.” He said simply, and perhaps redundantly. He broke his contact with the other fellows eyes long enough to cast about the street, looking for any who might be taking too keen a notice, before he added a final word on the matter. “Privately.”
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: apologies for hyper-posting, finding it hard to concentrate on uni

Craghley did not shy away from the other man's touch. He actually felt a little ashamed, for he had replied thinking Trajan wanted to unnerve him some and aimed to meet the challenge. Now he scolded himself for thinking such paranoid nonsense. But at least he had been close to right.

"Let's take a dander then. If ye want private, let's get tae Annuir tavern. Quiet sort o place."

If Trajan agreed, Craghley would immediately set out for the Annuir tavern. He'd been there a couple of times, first of all with Elaine and at other times to speak casually with Seth. Taverns were generally all well and good for privacy, but Trajan would be heckled at Tuirdhiel's, the gnomes were innately curious at the Father's Grace and Melissa might be a distraction, although a decidedly pleasant one, at the Nether's Gate.

"I apologise for prying - 'twas rude of me," he went on. "I'll actually be happy tae talk with ye 'bout Laewin."
Civus

Trajan was relieved when Craghley acquiesced to his request for conversation and privacy, and he readily accepted the achadheils invitation saying, “Let us be off then, lead the way.” Before falling in step with the man who he couldn’t avoid the premonition had been brought into his path with intent, and he felt he knew why. Trajan was startled by the other man’s apology, and replied almost before Craghley had quit speaking.

“No need for apologies.” He said quickly, “’twas an apt observation on your part. And a fair question given what we are talking about. It’s not as if the city as a whole is aware, or if they are, they do a good job of playing ignorant.” Trajan touched the ghost legionnaire’s sword once more as they walked before he continued. “We, you and I that is, need to do more than talk about her.” He said his voice flat and nearly toneless. “We have a responsibility to act.” The former legionnaire considered once more before finishing. “To have guessed I was a soldier, you must be a solider yourself I gather. But you’re accent is foreign to me, from where do you hail?”
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

South the two of them went, the streets of Pax rolling away beneath their feet. Not for the first time Craghley felt his sense of visual aesthetic jarring at the ramshackle dwellings; to think that people had had to leave their homes for this. Every now and then a buidling was infused with a memory returned, of a different building which had been there once, long ago. The bizarre meld of old and new which defied his understanding of physics was actually regarded by him as one of the finer sights offered by Pax.

Trajan wrote:"... It’s not as if the city as a whole is aware, or if they are, they do a good job of playing ignorant."

"Aye, ye'd be perhaps the only person 'sides frae meself who kens this Laewin gel." Craghley then gave Trajan a short, blank look. "Aye. Perhaps I would hae, if I had seen her since twae months ago. Then again, maybe I'd be deid."

Trajan wrote:“To have guessed I was a soldier, you must be a solider yourself I gather. But you’re accent is foreign to me, from where do you hail?”

Craghley shrugged at this. "Ye just look like ane - big lad such as yerself, and sae sombre. Laewin had a habit o targeting - well, ye'd ken well enou'. Given how few hae seen her, 'twas an educated guess."

The Annuir tavern was now in sight - and, as usual, Seth sat out front with his pipe and crutches. Craghley offered his blonde acquaintance a wave in greeting as they drew near.

"Dinnae ken if ye'd call me a soldier as such. My hame is Islay, in the southern highlands of Dort. I joined what's left of Taquar's Emerald Guard while they were there on the night we did fecht... well, we call him the Hunter. A chosen follower of the Mother, who turned foul in the wake of Taquar's destruction frae what I ken. But," he said with a cheeky grin directed right at Trajan, "that is history and not the topic of this conversation at all."

A gentleman of manners, Craghley would stand aside for Trajan to enter Annuir first.
Civus

Trajan smirked slightly when Craghley spoke his words from earlier back at him, and then took the achadheil fellows courtesy and entered the tavern. “Strange things seem to happen to me often of late.” Trajan thought to himself as he stepped through the portal that lead to the taverns cool, dark and uniquely pungent interior. “Strange times make for strange bedfellows.” The old adage sprang to mind as he now returned Craghleys favor and stepped aside to allow the slighter man to pass.

“Lead on to our destination.” He said, sweeping a hand as expansively as space would permit. “I’ve never been here before and wouldn’t want to misstep.” Trajan then followed the achadheil wherever he lead, and sat if his guide sat. Regardless of whether of not the kinsman of Clan Donovan ordered a drink, Trajan abstained and requested a water. Despite the many changes which he had and was still undergoing, something’s had remained constant.

“Perhaps,” Trajan began in hushed tones when they were both seated and comfortable. “I should begin by telling you how I met Laewin, and what I know of her.” He offered, but didn’t wait for Craghley to respond before beginning. “I was in the Pax Honestus at the time, standing on the wall after I was off duty one night. I was just coming down from watching the moonrise when I heard a cry of despair. I, perhaps foolishly, rushed to the scene, as best I could pin point it, to try to render aid. But by the time I arrived, the man was dead.” He paused and took a drink before continuing, watching the achadheils face the entire time he spoke. “His body was mutilated that I did not recognize it until later, much later and much too late as well. I did however, find a little achadheil girl. She was covered in blood and apparently terrified, and asked for my protection, which I gave. I was in the act of purveying her to a safer and less.. disturbing locality when what I assumed to be a fellow Legionnaire approached me in the gathering fog of the evening. He was not however, strictly speaking, a legionnaire and he and I quarreled over the girl, and it came at last to blows.” Trajan paused now to gauge Craghleys reaction to his story and upon finishing his water, requested another before continuing.

“He was a ghost. And my weapons could not harm him, but his weapon,” and here Trajans hand strayed to the longsword strapped to his back, “seemed more than capable of harming me, for it dealt terrific blows upon my shield. After a brief exchange, both physical and verbal, Laewin ran off into the darkness, and the figure, who I then recognized as the man I had so recently found murdered, professed having failed in his mission to kill the girl, and gave the charge to me. Since then I have not seen her, though I have hunted for her nightly. But I was recently given a vision, by what entity I do not know, that Laewin and her pet, which if you haven’t guessed is the creature which has lead to the rumors of wolves in the streets, would return to the city on the summer solstice. TONIGHT!” Trajan hissed vehemently and smacked the table he and Craghley shard so hard it shook. “I will have her, and end her, by this blade,” here Trajan drew the sword about an inch before resheathing it, “and every breathe that is left in my body.” His tale and his geas shared, Trajan sat back and drained another water, eyes intent on the achadheil before him, he waited, and wondered.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Well, it seemed his new friend held a sense of humour. That went a long way to improve Craghley's opinion of him. There was always the risk of a joke turning sour - or downright dangerous. Craghley found them both a table and some solitude in the corner of the largest room he knew about. The Achadhiel understood Trajan's concerns about Annuir; the mix of tavern drink and haphazard architecture coming from merging two buildings was an open invitation for the inebriated to greet the floor with their face. Like Trajan he also ordered water, but to go with a wee of whiskey. He was carefully measuring out the correct ratio when Trajan began to speak.

He did not interrupt, but nodded along. All this was new to him yet it sounded very much like Laewin - he and Penth had not seen in to her nature either until it had been quite late. When Trajan paused to order more water Craghley spoke.

"Tis fair enou' - I would hae done as much. I did no ken the truth about the lass at first."

He settled back into the routine of listening. Fortunatley he had not his drink in hand, nor measurig out another, upon Trajan's outburst for it made him jump. Impassively he looked at the inch of blade that was presented momentarily. This fire that showed in the otherwise stone-faced man left Craghley a little bit astounded. He looked into Trajan's eyes, nodded, and took his turn to speak of Laewin.

"The beast she calls Falven. Least, I think sae - dinnae ken wha ye can dae with that, but names are powerful things. See, a friend bard o mine, and myself, went tae see her after he'd spoken a bit wi her, back in Chyril. There's a couple o strange lasses running around hereabouts, but the other goes by the name o 'Blackbird', and she's very much a fairer spirit frae wha I ken. But Laewin..."

Craghley paused to swill and sip the remainder of his whiskey down. Laewin... a little liquid courage there wouldn't be uncalled for.

"I dinnae ken where she hails frae. In all likelihood Selderine. If ye're tae face her, I hape that blade can harm her. And whatever ye do, ye must not share with her yer name." He stressed the last part, then leaned in slightly. "Ye've no gi'en her yer name, hae ye?"
Civus

Trjan listened intently to Craghleys tale. Of the girl called blackbird, of Laewin’s creatures name, of his suspicions of her origins and of his warning about Trajans name. The former legionnaire was held rapt while the other spoke, though he had no knowledge of any other spirit-girl, and he hadn’t known Laewin’s pet had a name, neither was he certain what good that knowledge would do him. It was in the dead man’s sword which he was forced to place his hope. For the little girl who had visited him in his vision had seemed to think that it might be successful where his own weapons had failed. The thought that the girl from his vision might be this ‘Blackbird’ troubled him however...

“This Blackbird.” Trajan said, once Craghley had stopped talking. “I would have you tell me more of her, if you know more to tell that is.” The young human considered a burn before he added the next part. “I believe that she might have visited me in a dream.” He then listened to whatever the smaller man might have had to impart, before he offered the men one other thing.

“As to your warning about my name sir,” he said. Looking, for the first time at the table instead of the man he was speaking to. “I’m afraid I already gave it to her.”
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley leaned back in his chair with a sigh. What remained of his whiskey disappeared and the empty tumbler landed on the table with a hollow 'clunk' sound.

"Laewin controls ye. She spins a song around ye with yer name and makes ye a puppet - saw it happen tae me friend Penth. He could nae dae anything but dance along tae her tune." This posed all sorts of problems if they were to fight her. "I'd suggest we get advice. Maybe if we cannae hear the song, it will nae affect us. I dinnae ken... seems a long shot. Even if nane hae heard o Laewin they may ken the magic she uses, an that will count a lot. Especially if we ken her name, and that o her pet. She's also fond o 'games' that's what she calls the things she does. It's sick, but she acts very much like a young lassie. Ye can placate her wi a song, string her along by playing these 'games' - just make sure ye dinnae lose."

"Now, Blackbird. I've never met the lass, but I ken folk as hae. She's... the dochter o someone important in Selderine?" Craghley had been sitting just outside Annuir in Chyril with Elaine when they'd talked to Seth - she knew so much of this place, for he was sure it spoke to her much more readily than to himself. That's who Trajan should be asking about Blackbird, not Craghley. He relaxed back in his seat, closed his eyes and tried to recall with a slight frown.

"The blackbirds... nae, white doves, I think, they flew in circles around yon stanes singin sweetly. The stanes were the heart o the land, and... if the birds can sing around them once more - then I dinnae ken wha. 'The choice can be made', she said, 'tae stay or go. A real choice'." Craghley opened his eyes. "I've seen the stanes, a great ring o rocks in the forest. But ye cannae gae there wi'out an invitation, I think. Aye, there's much more going on here than Laewin and no all o it sae dark. But ane thing at a time. I think Laewin is enou fer our plates just yet."
Last edited by Craghley on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Civus

Trajan listened as Craghley talked about Laewin, and what he heard, wasn’t anything that he had been wanting to hear. Trajan hadn’t known anything about Laewin beyond what he had inferred. That she was the cause of these ‘wolves’ apparently her creature Falven, that she wasn’t a natural creature and that she only attacked the followers of Dominicus, or those who did Dominicus’ work, hence the Pax Honestus legionnaires who had been killed.

Trajan didn’t know what, where or who the Selderine were, neither did he know who to seek the advice from which Craghley so wisely suggested, and further more he had no idea how to counter Laewins power. If this Blackbird was in fact the girl from his vision, then she seemed to be on his side, and she seemed to think that the sword he had been gifted that fateful night when he had met her, Laewin, and he had to believe that there was some power there. For he had to admit that he wasn’t strong enough to handle this creature, whatever she was. And after talking to Craghley he was less confident he could be successful, not more.

“We?” He asked, latching on to the one bright point he could find in all that the achadheil had said like a hunting dog on the throat of the prey. His eyes, similarly, came target center on Craghleys, if ever he needed to be reassured of a persons intentions, of their motivations, it was now. “We? Do you mean to help me fight her? To help me kill her? I won’t ask it, I was just told you might have some information, some insight. I’ll not ask you to face this danger.” Trajans eyes, burned with intent, and the fierceness of that intentness caused his entire face to heat, to burn. It was a fever, a sickness, this hunt for Laewin and her pet, the quest for their destruction. And if Craghley wanted it to, then Trajan just had to hope it was communicable.

“But if you want in, if you’re going to be in for a banner, then I need to know you’ll be in for a crown.” Trajan extended his hand across the table. “What do you say Craghley,” he asked, “tonight is it. “The chance we’ve been waiting for to get her. Our chance to be rid of her and the threat she poses to this city and her citizens.” Trajan waited to see whether or not Craghley would take his hand, if he took it, then that meant one thing. If he left it, that meant something else. But either way...

“So,” Trajan said, “who do you suggest I seek advice from on how to handle Laewins power? And who, or what, or where are these Selderine? Maybe there is some clue we can get from them.”
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The vehemence of Trajan's words still had an edge that suprised Craghley inside. This man was not a mountain, he was a god damned volcano with a raging soul of fire and brimstone barely held in check by a stony exterior. And Laewin was the fissure running deeper and deeper, ready to bring it to a head. Well, if she was ever going to have trouble controlling someone with her magic, it would be this man.
Craghley did not even need to consider the agreement. Their gaze held, and his hand latched onto Trajan's to shake it firmly.

"I'm in fer the bluidy crown jewels," he said. "Blackbird chose ye tae dae it, and that's guid enou fer me. I'll aid ye however I can. If ye want me by yer side this nicht, I'll be there."

"Til then there's other ways I can help ye. Ye wish tae ken o Selderine? Aa I ken myself is that it were a city standing here long enou ago that all hae forgotten it. Surely ye've wondered bout yon walls, the buildings, and the folk wha appear o'ernicht? By some great magic Selderine hae been returning tae life." Now Craghley shook his head slightly, staring at the table. "Selderine was refuge frae some sort o threat, and though some ancient spirit tried tae protect them, it failed and Selderine fell. May be this spirit is wha's bringing the city back. But at a cost, methinks. The Mother is here, but distant. There is a great wrongness about wha has more tae dae than wi Laewin. Blackbird kens how tae free the land o it, I believe.
"I hae spiered at the folk o Selderine but got nowt o Laewin. Ye're welcome tae speak wi them if ye wish." It was about time he got more out of Nyrellon. Maybe if they successfully... 'dealt' with Laewin and discovered her origins, she may be interested in trading information. She may even let Trajan listen in.

"Since nane ken o Laewin per se, I hae twa ideas. I ken a halfling mage Baltimus wha may understand the magic, else the lady Elaine may help, but Baltimus does come frae Selderine. Those are the only twa which come tae mind as yet."

Apart from the obvious, for the Mother was always by his side.
Last edited by Craghley on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Seth was soundly asleep on the verandah when the two companions arrived and they found the door a little ajar. Whilst ostensibly an inn with a bar and a few tables and chairs, the room inside had the air of a library. Piles of books sat on the bar, the tables and floor and also filled a number of shelves which had recently been fixed to the walls. A large leather chair sat in one corner, next to a table on top of which was placed a large lantern. This was where Seth could usually be found when he was not sitting on the porch. The occasional visitor came for a drink but most came to talk and swap stories with the strange, one-legged man.

When Craghley and Trajan entered, they found the tavern completely empty apart from a young lad standing behind the bar who furnished them with drinks but otherwise was throroughly uncommunicative.

(OOC: let me know if you need more from me here, otherwise I'll assume its just a private conversation)
Civus

“A lost, forgotten city you say?” Trajan was having a hard time believing that, though he had seen things done with magic, but believing in a mage powerful enough to hide an entire city? That was a leap of faith that Trajan didn’t have the legs to make. “And that is where the walls, and the buildings, and the citizens come from? And Laewin and this Blackbird as well?” Trajan considered Craghleys suggestions for advice. The halfling Baltimus he claimed came from the self same city, but the lady Elaine... Ulders wife. Trajan wondered if he might not be able to draw Ulder to his side if he could get Elaine. Ulder had proved to be a powerful and welcome ally in the past, and though Elaine was blind, Ulder had faith in her ability to protect herself, she was by rumor a powerful mage in her own right, and a renowned healer. Both things which might prove useful.

“Between the two then, the halfling and the lady Elaine, which of the two would you seek for advice on this? We need as much information as we can readily lay hands too and burns are passing. I don’t want to be missing something vital when we confront Laewin tonight. I don’t want to die for lack of having asked someone a question, though I am prepared for the possibility that she will kill me, or you or us, no matter how much work we do, it’s the risk we’ve agreed to take. Still, there is no sense going in any blinder than necessary. And so, I ask again, the halfling, or the Lady?”
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

A single, bitter laugh escaped Craghley's throat.

"Yer guess be as guid as mine. Perhaps we can see bo-"

Craghley paused as the tail of a memory brushed his mind in passing. It was important, but where did it come from? He'd been thinking of the first time he met Elaine, and they came here to speak with Seth on the porch. And Seth had been possessed and spoke of Selderine, yes, but at the end he'd said, he'd said...

Guido wrote:"Yer bear the touch of something I ain’t felt in a long time; I can only vaguely recall ‘er; don’t give ‘er your name or she’ll take yer soul."

"Oh, that's comfortin," he muttered to himself, then looked back to Trajan. "We can try and talk wi both but I just remembered Seth may be able tae point us in another direction. Just dinnae ken whether he be waukened yet. Shall we?"

Should Trajan concur to speak to Seth first, Craghley would briefly visit the quiet bartender and ask him for something which might appease the one-legged owner after interrupting his little kip.

[hr][/hr]
OOC: 3rd last post edited in reference to the blackbirds.
Civus

Trajan was troubled by Craghleys pause, wondering what it was that the Islayer had seen, heard or remembered that would do such a thing to him. Despite that, he felt it best not to press. Craghley then did suggest that they try to see both the halfling and Elaine, but now also someone else named Seth. Trajan hadn’t met or heard of anyone name Seth, but then neither had he met the halfling.

“You seem to have all the contacts friend.” He said in response to Craghleys query. “That being the case, lead the way.” Trajan stood when Craghley did and awaited the acadheils return from the bar by the door. When Craghley returned Trajan held the door and indicated the street. “After you.”
Guido Cercatoro

The young bartender merely grunted at Craghley’s request but then poured out a small tot of a clear spirit from an unmarked bottle into a small glass. “He likes this. That’ll be a circlet.” He held out a rather grubby hand for the coin.

When Craghley and Trajan returned to the verandah they would find the one-legged tavern owner still soundly asleep. He was snoring lightly and had a peaceful look on his face. An open book sat on a small table by his side.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

It occured to Craghley that he had presumed much of Trajan's availability. Though they had - apparently - until this eveningtide, they may not be able to speak to all three that Craghley had in mind, especially if Seth pointed them in another direction. Having accepted the drink with good grace flying in the face of poor manners, he made his way to the outside and Seth. Along the way he gave the liquid an inquisitive sniff but did not taste. He was tempted to, though, for the price of a circlet. Digging the silver coin out made a cut into his savings that he could feel.

Trajan wrote:“You seem to have all the contacts friend.” He said in response to Craghleys query.

"If only. Hate tae tell ye, but I'm clutching at straws, mostly. But we'll see wha can be done."

Upon seeing Seth again Craghley felt a twinge of guilt. He settled down by the man's head and said his name relatively softly in between snores, doing his best not to jar the poor fellow awake.
Guido Cercatoro

Seth was dreaming…

Taroan was speaking once again.....You’re a fool Seth, thinking you can help them. Mad you are. A dead man talking to someone from his imagination. Think how they’d react if they knew what you really are….

Shut up, you’re confusing me…I must help them, I feel the need…

You’re confusing yourself, there’s no-one else here…just you…an old man, best forgotten….it’s all gone, Selderine, best to admit it

No…I must…

Seth…the words penetrated into his dream…yet he sensed that they were not spoken by Taroan but came from another mouth…

Craghley
spoke the old man’s name softly and saw him stir. One eye flicked open. “Taroan, is that you?” Seth’s eyes narrowed, his face a mix of confusion and suspicion.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"Er... nae, master Seth. 'Tis Craghley Donovan. I hae brought friends, ane o mine and ane o yours." He offered the glass forward to Seth while giving Trajan a puzzled look, as though to show he had as much knowledge of who Taroan was as Aeneas. Nor had he wanted to play along; Seth was an amiable enough character whose trust Craghley did not wish to risk. That and Craghley was a bad liar.

"We were hoping tae speak tae ye," he continued, gesturing to Trajan. "If ye're no up fer it, I understand, but it's vital. You may be the only one who can help us as far as we ken. Please. This is my newest friend, Trajan. Perhaps he can speak of wha we need as well as I."

Craghley beckoned for Trajan to make his introductions and join them.
Civus

Trajan watched intently as Craghley went through what seemed to be a whole song and dance routine before the pair, hesitantly yet, approached a man whom he had to assume was this Seth. The fellow was sleeping when they approached, and even after Craghley addressed him, it took several flickers before the man came around, and then he appeared confused and maybe, just maybe a touch frightened. Craghley spoke to him then almost as one speaking to someone who is touched in the head, or terminally ill. Besides all of this, his guide in this endeavor, seemed to not know who this Taroen was supposed to be. On the whole, this was a very worrisome conversation and Trajan began to wonder what this man might have of use to them in their newly joined endeavor. Even so, he had not forgotten his manners and when Craghley gestured, Trajan made his introductions.

“Good TradeTide to you master.” He said, offering a slight inclination of his head by way of an honorific bow, just to cover his bases. “My name is Trajan Aeneas, and we, Craghley and I that is, come to you to seek your wisdom, for Mr. Donovan recommends you highly in a matter which has proven thus far tricksome. If you are not up to speaking with us we understand, but if you can manage even a few burns we would appreciate it greatly. It’s about Selderine and a little girl who calls herself Laewin.”
Guido Cercatoro

Craghley’s words appeared to stir Seth out of his confusion, for his countenance brightened and he nodded in a friendly manner. The one-legged man took the drink and tilted the glass to his mouth, taking a small sip of the odourless liquid. “’Scuse me. Just dreamin’. Good to see you Craghley Donovan.”
The old man listened politely as the former legionnaire introduced himself. Yet, his eyes clouded at the mention of the girl’s name.

“Laewin,” he repeated. “Tis a name I ain’t heard for a long time. Don’t want to here it either. Smell her on you two I do. Always leaves her mark.” He grabbed the glass once more and downed the liquid with a flourish.

“What d’yer wanna know?”
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"Then we shall try and make it brief. Cannae promise it, though."

Wincing in time with Seth's final gulp - Craghley wondered momentarily if the barman had ripped him off and made him pay for a glass of water - the Achadhiel could not for the life of him understand how he had missed this before. By the Mother, he even knew Laewin by name! At the least, though, it allowed a tiny ray of hope. Maybe, just maybe, Seth would know enough about her and Falven to suit their needs. Craghley gestured for Trajan to pull up a chair

"Who is she? Perhaps I should say, 'what'? Sae far we ken she controls a person through her song if she has their name, and sets her pet Falven tae fecht an kill the faithful o Dominicus. But why?"
Civus

When Craghley indicated to Trajan that he should pull up a chair, the young human was so mystified by Seths apparent familiarity with Laewin, not to mention his statement about smelling her on his two visitors, that he complied with nary a word, either in thanksgiving or complaint.

Craghely, for his part, seemed to have expected this result, or at least, to be somewhat less rattled by it than Trajan had to admit he was. So few knew of Laewin, and this fellow, handicapped as he was, claimed to know the girl, and to know of their encounters with her. Trajan let Craghley finish what it was that he had to say, mostly whys and wherefores, before he added his own queries to those awaiting answering.

“Further,” he added, “what does she want? And who is Blackbird? What is the relationship between the two?”
Guido Cercatoro

“So many questions!” Seth shook his head. “I should ‘av been a teacher, not an innkeeper….if that’s what I truly am. Sometimes, I ain’t sure.” His face clouded with doubt for a few flickers and then he leant forward.

“Laewin ain’t no little girl; Falven ain’t no pet. Part of the same dark thing they are. Came here, to Selderine, all sweetness and light she was, wanting to play. Killed Tallen, Gorna, Sigmund and many more ‘fore she was run out of town. Mage made some sort of weapon that could hurt her. Hid in the mountains, they reckon; mountain spirit kept her trapped, ‘til now. I can smell her taint, spreading round the whole town…”

“One yer call blackbird’s a different kettle of fish; spirits’ girl she is; the Wolf is ‘er pet. Only kills those who hurt the people of this town; tries to protect, in its own way. Make good fer its failure.”

Seth paused, his eyes fixed on the ground. “’ow do I know all this?” He lifted a pleading face to his companions.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Never would he have suspected Seth to ask such a question, nor in such a manner. Craghley had gone to Seth with faith in the man and his wisdom, as one of the few points of certainty who could understand something of what was happening within Pax. To see that person look at him now, his frailties laid bare and to know his life before now was as much a mystery to himself as to the others... well, Craghley pitied him. He was moved to help Seth - but knew such a sentiment foolish in the extreme at this point, when Craghley knew of no way which to do so and as such the only product of such a promise made would likely be to shatter their unfamiliar trust. Craghley recalled he had practically promised the dwarves help but had not delivered for the past three months. At this point, all he could do was face Laewin and survive... then he would get to the bottom of things here. The people deserved as much - both the refugees and those of Selderine, and Seth was owed some peace of mind.

"I wish I did ken, master Seth," said Craghley. "Tae understand Selderine an its return would save us much trouble, but I've found that knowledge is scarce and must be earned. I pray the closer we get tae the truth, the more will be remembered. But that cannae pass til Laewin is deid, and it has been ordained: we shall try tonight."

"We need tae ken if there is any protection 'gainst her magic. I fear she could tell me tae slit me own throat an I'd dae it. And I daresay we'll need tae find a weapon what can harm her. I hae a spear I was granted, a holy weapon of the Mother. I have placed my faith in Her and it, but Trajan - must we find this weapon for ye?"

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”