The Captain- Behind the Scenes- ET Jygust 30th - HAIKAN

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

OOC: This thread is now impassable.

Terrance Finch had been a bully all his life, and he prided himself on his girth. Over the past few yahren, working as an enforcer for Cedric he'd let himself go a bit, and his waistline had grown significantly what with the amount of ale he imbibed for free at Cedric's pub, the Broken Mast. This evening they'd finished off several pints after Cedric had a good meeting, and then decided to take their luck to the streets. With a jug of Dragon's Tears on top, Finch was far from sober.

What he did have, though, were beer muscles, and as Haikan swung upward in defence his muscles shuddered from the meeting of their blades as the metallic clang cut through the evening air. Mary, behind him, yelped in surprise from the loud noise, and pressed herself ever-further into the doorway they'd been hiding in.

Slowed, the large man tried to retract his blade for a second attack, and noticed the achadhiel's intentions far too late to do any manueverings to get out of the way. What muscles he had in his stomach he tensed, and his face took on a prepatory sort of look akin to a wince mixed with a grimace. As Haikan's move hit home Terrance exclaimed: "Ooof!" but grasped hold of the redheaded warrior's foot before he could retract it. His hand was like a vice grip wrapped round his ankle, leaving Haikan unbalanced and on just one foot. It was his burly weight that kept him from falling backward. His arm swung upward again, this time with the intention of cutting through the bone in his lower leg.

Over Finch's shoulder Cedric laughed and took a swig from the jug imported from Sabata. What a perfect end to a perfect day... He thought to himself, already beginning to think upon the fun he'd be having with Mary once her lack-luster john was out of the way.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Thump

The adhiel's forceful kick worked, but it turned out rather badly. The man did not get pushed back, and what was worse, he was still attacking! This man was drunk, and his pain tolerance was clearly higher than the normal sober man. In this situation however, pain tolerance was probably not worth the slowed reaction time and inhibited decision-making skills. Haikan's mind was racing as the fight continued.

Nether!... This buffoon won't back down! I am afraid this violence cannot be helped... Haikan thought to himself, and he calculated his next counterattack. His next possible move was more lethal than the last, but he had no other choice. He was prepared to slash at the man's sword-arm when suddenly he grabbed his leg! At that point, everything else around him disappeared except for him and Terrence.

The fingers on his right hand widened and stretched out to balance himself, and he rooted his other foot on the ground. His left leg was gracefully arced to keep its hold on the earth as his right leg was extended forwards, still in front of Terrence.

He knew what he had to do, and that he had to stop the arm pulling back and ultimately falling down towards his leg. He couldn't help anybody if he couldn't walk, and he was going to have to do something he would later much regret. Mary... These men will kill you. These two have no respect for you. I want you to know, that I do. Out of respect for you, I... I...

"I will defend you from this assailant!"
He shouted, and with no regrets in mind, he thrust his sword upwards and forwards, crossing over his leg to protect himself from the strike. What he would later regret was that half the support for this block... was to be Terrence's girthy torso. He raised his sword to block the attack and as hard as he could, he attempted to thrust his long and sharp blade right into his enemy's stomach, just below the ribcage. With the burning resolve of a just cause, his muscles nearly exceeded their limits as he braced his parry strike and he bravely attempted to sink his father's blade into his enemy.

Forgive me, father...

After his parry strike, he would swiftly attempt to twist his leg from Terrence's grip and tumble backwards, still gripping his sword firmly. If he could slide it out of Terrence, he would surely keep his sword-wielding arm stretched away from himself to prevent damage to himself or Mary during the tumble. During all this, the tears of clashing principles were threatening to well up in his eyes, but he blinked them away, forcing them onto his eyelashes to keep his vision clear.
Last edited by Haikan on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:07 am, edited 11 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

There wasn't pain right away, and there wouldn't be until he noticed the wound. What he did feel was the sudden pressure of a sword thrust into flesh as his enemy's blade struck home to deeply penetrate his un-armored body. He'd not been expecting a fight. He'd not been properly dressed. Terrance, of course, realized this all too late.

The long, thin point of the Schlaeger passed through his midsection and further still til it pierced the tender nerves of his spinal column, his sword arm going numb with immediacy. This shall be my last fight, Terrance thought to himself. His arm fell to his side and he stared dimly at Haikan through his intoxicated haze. "Garhg," he muttered out, but this was followed by an un-earthly noise as the young achadhiel removed his blade. Terrance's eyes grew wide with horror as his working hand found the small hole from which a mixture of blood, bile and stomach acid oozed. Something resembling curses intertwined with gutteral pleading. Alarm tinged his voice making it a tone akin to a woman, and then the pain began.

The chemicals inside the body were a mythic thing to most people of Tazlure. There were, of course, a few healers, some magi and perhaps an investigator and artist or two who understood the inner workings of human anatomy - but it was a rare skill indeed. For Terrance, the only thing that had ever worried him about his abdomen was when he had to have a piss or when he ate too much of something bad. He also didn't realize this redheaded achadhiel had just set him up for a long, lingering death.

Cedric, on the other hand, knew a few things about wounds. As Haikan's blade immersed itself in his bodyguard's torso he became aware of two things. One was that Finch was done for, and the second was that the only thing he had out and ready to defend himself with was a jug of liquor.

For Haikan, the world was a shifting, moving, tumbling sort of place followed shortly by an abrupt meeting with the hard-packed dirt of the road. Mary, though, knew when a man needed a hand, and so she was at his back as soon as he'd landed and helped him to his feet via his shoulders.

Terrance slumped to the ground, clutching at his agitated wound that burned with his own poisons.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

I am a defender... I protect those that need a guardian and I cast back those who bully the innocent... Haikan's mind began to justify his actions during the eternity it took for him to finally land after his tumble. A defender...? No you are a murderer. This man is going to die, and it is your fault. In slow motion, he saw his blade slide out of his enemy, and for seven thousand eternities, he tumbled backwards. No! I defended Mary! I did what I had to! His right hand guided his tumble so that he would somersault backwards onto his knees, facing Terrance and Cedric, with his back still to Mary. You killed that man. His hopes, his dreams and his family are ruined now. And it is all your fault! Murderer! The captain mentally screamed in agony at what he'd done. Father! What have I done!? You taught me to defend the innocent and weak! Well!? I've done that now, are you happy? - No! Murderer! You failed to defend that man! - He was a villain! He threatened the life of Mary and myself! She needed defending! - Did she? Or was it he, who needed defending... From you...

...Father...

The flicker his knees hit the ground and Mary's hands touched his shoulders, time sped up once more, and he immediately locked eyes with Cedric. His look was steely, cold. His eyes were like ghostly flames of green that illuminated a deathly serious face. His constant smile was gone, and his brow was furrowed angrily, and a soulless glare met Cedric's eyes from the moderate distance where he stood. He rose to his feet, and lifted his bloody sword arm out to the side, and he raised it in front of him, returning to a battle footing. He was grasping the hilt of his father's blade with both hands, and he was squeezing it as if it were the throat of the one person he truly wished to throttle...

...Himself.

Defend... The word rang in his mind like a bloody curse and a hallowed duty. The stains on his sword were nothing to those that soaked his soul at this very moment. Cedric, get back... Go away...

"Go." In the deepest voice he had ever spoken in, a low baritone, he directed this word at Cedric. "Take your money and go. We are done here." He refused to look at Mary. He would not look her in the eyes. The lack of tears in his own eyes were caused by the dry and barren wasteland that swept over his heart. Defend...
Last edited by Haikan on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Cedric put his free hand up and then knelt down slowly to put the jug down. When he raised upward again it was slowly, and non-confrontationally. "Keep your coin," he hissed back and stooped to assist Finch up, even though he considered it a lost cause.

Terrance wailed as he was moved, but acquiesced at Cedric's insistance as the dark man whispered some form of verbal encouragement. With much pain the injured man rose. "You have made an enemy this night, watch over your shoulder - because I will be watching your back." Cedric slithered off into the night with his fatally injured companion, Finch's body under his support. Both Terrance's sword and the jug were left behind, as well as Mary, who held fast to the shadows, and then to Haikan's arm.

Quite happy over her rescue, Mary wound her arms around Haikan's neck and gave him an impromptu kiss on the cheek. "Are you alright?" She asked in a squeakily concerned voice. The tendrils of her curled red locks swung in the ever-dark night air. "You saved me," she continued. "H-how can I repay you? You could've left me to them... you - thank you," Mary ended with a careful whisper as she was unused to such gracious kindness - such valor. Miss McGregor looked onto him with the most devoted eyes.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

It is over... Haikan watched the two enemies of his disappear in the distance, and all he could think of was the hope against hope, that somehow Terrance would survive. He knew that if he did, and they met again, they would not be likely to hold hands and reminisce, but he so deeply dreaded the idea of taking a life... His heart sank, and after Cedric and Terrance were gone, he continued to stand in his fighting pose for another burn, completely in shock. After his mind returned to the Tether, his arms fell limp to his sides and his sword smacked the ground, causing a jolt to run through his arm. He looked down at his former opponent's sword and a tear finally rolled down his cheek.

"I... I'm fine, Mary. Are you hurt?" He wiped his cheek with his sleeve before facing her, and he looked into her eyes with sorrow and compassion. "I... You... Well..." He was speaking slowly and still in a deep voice. "The only thing left to do, is to find Yirimeer the Red, I suppose."

He maintained his sense of duty to Mary, to his crew and to Mikail, but the excitement he had earlier for meeting Yirimeer had vastly decreased. "If you could help me, talk to him... I don't feel the most... Diplomatic right now." And with that, his steely gaze faded and he gave way to the flow of emotions that were raging through his heart like a coursing river of sorrow. He gave her a passionate hug. Not a lover's grasp, but the embrace of a child who needed to know that it was alright. His coursing river of sorrow proceeded to stream down his cheeks as he looked past Mary's shoulder. I am not as valiant as you might think, Mary... He struggled to get any sort of word out as he held her tight, and he finally let go of her, jumping back a meter, realizing his imposition on her space. He sniffed, and he calmed himself, now speaking in a stronger, more controlled voice.

"I don't like to see people die... Even my enemies..." The life returned to his eyes as his adrenaline stopped pumping, but that life was being drowned in flowing tears. He struggled to regain his composure, and after channeling his sorrow, he brought himself back to his senses. His face was red, and he wiped his cheeks again, doing a terribly insincere job of attempting a fake smile as he looked around to see if there were any spectators to this dramatic scene.

"Let's hope that he's willing to teach me, eh?" A voice still wet and trembling from the surge of tears attempted to sound aloof and carefree as he once was. That was a state he might never genuinely feel again...
Last edited by Haikan on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Me? Hurt?" Her light eyes flashed with surprise. "Gosh, no! Only because of you." As Haikan mentioned Yirimeer and his continual insistance to finding him, Mary couldn't help but respect his resolve.

Taking up to his side as he asked for her assistance, there was a great welling in her chest she'd never truely felt before. She could sense his sadness and his shame over what had just transpired, and had he not sought the embrace she likely would've offered it, if only to sooth his tender heart. Haikan's emotional display silenced the young woman out of respect for his feelings. (A man's pain could be a very private thing, quite unlike a woman's - for they seek comfort while a man seeks unburdening.) And so, she did the only thing she could do, and that was hold fast to him like the life preserver he'd just proven himself to be. "It's alright, sweets," she whispered, her hand rubbing his back soothingly, her face nuzzled into the crook of his neck and shoulder.

As the young man retreated from the warmth of her arms, she held fast to his fingers, working hers between them to prove that his sudden need had been okay. "Those boys, they wanted blood tonight - a woman's blood, and if it hadn't've been me, it would've been another. You hold fast to that thought before you fix on anything about who was right or wrong tonight." She reached into a pocket of her dress and withdrew a handkerchief which she swiftly applied to the remnants of his frustrations before using to thoughtfully clean off his hand. "We can't have you a mess for a great mage, now can we, sweets?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

She's right... There was going to be blood tonight. What choice is to be made? Is it justice to save one life and let many perish? Or is it righteous to end one life to save that of many... Haikan felt something of warmth and courage as Mary comforted him. He was beginning to understand. The assimilation into the world he so longed for was finally making itself known to him. He never knew love, and he never knew hatred. And until now neither were his destiny.

"Mary, thank you, I think I understand..." He spoke to her, his voice now recovered from it's weakness.

To love someone is to be willing to defend them at any cost... - You did the right thing, painful as it was... - I will make it my duty to love everyone who has no one. Those with no sword and no love, I will be their shield...

...I will be their sword...

And suddenly, the look of distress on his face turned into a boldened carving of valor. The fire in his soul was rekindled, and his face regained it's normal color. His back straightened and he looked Mary in the eyes. His look portrayed one who agreed, and understood. He looked the part of the captain that he was meant to become.

He knew that Mary was right. He had saved a life tonight, possibly many. He had a great deal of lives yet to save, and learning from Yirimeer was the next step to strengthening his shield. Father I know who I am. I am a defender, and You will be proud of me.

He glanced at his jacket, to ensure that he had not dripped blood on it, but he was reminded that it was black, and he felt a relief. From his pocket he procured a rag and he wiped the blood from his sword and he sheathed it.

"Thank you Mary, I am ready to meet him."

Defend.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The large two-story brick house stood above the rest of the single level homes, and Mary steered them in it's direction. The door had been busted open, and signs of flame damage showed on the small wooden white-washed porch off the main door. Black soot licked along the railing, and upward under the roof of the overhead splash as well as outward over the very bricks themselves. It formed a black haze around the entrance threshold.

Mary peered inside, but didn't step forward as yet. "Now, this big bad fire show happened a few months ago now - except they had all sorts of Paladins and Inquisitors and whatnots watching it and he never left according to anybody... but... it... it looks pretty dark in there. Are you sure about this, sir?" Miss McGregor looked over to him, but felt quite comfortable in his company, and thus didn't have fear, but more concern for his person.

"Maybe we should knock?" She gave an exploratory and very meager knock to the exterior of the broken door. No response, Mary gave an alert, sharp and much louder second knock. After five flickers there was still no response, nor sounds of movements in the interior.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Well Mary, I am sure we must see him. However barging in is a bad idea. One who intrudes this place could surely find their demise at the hands of a massive explosion of fire." He reasoned. The strategist within him was working it's gears, and he planned to tactfully find another approach.

"Yet, we cannot loudly state his name, and our business here, for if he is said to have never left, chances are that since the fire show, he doesn't want everybody to know that he is here..." He raised his hand to his head and scratched behind his pointed ear. Master Yirimeer, I am a student who seeks your counsel... "What should we tell him, that will make him understand we are to be trusted...?"

A burn passed as he thought deeply, and finally, he approached the stoop and he stood to the side, knocking very loudly. "Master of Red, I speak as a friend! A hopeful student awaits at your door!" He gave Mary a knowing look and a he too peered inside. He was kneeling, but fully ready to dive out of the way and tackle Mary to the ground if a fireblast spit out of the door. There, Yirimeer should be able to get the message, while it remains ambiguous to protect his identity from any who may be around...
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Mary, too, strummed her fingers in contemplation over what to say, but came up with nothing. At Haikan's insistant and loud announcement she grinned, and gave him a quick giggle, but then hushed when she thought she heard something inside. Indeed, there was the briefest sound of perhaps paper. Leaves of papyrus rustled against one another giving over to a scratchy sort of noise. It was a short reply, however, and ended almost as soon as it had begun. "Wha.. what do you think that was?" Mary asked in a hoarse whisper. "Maybe he's not home?" That was a rather ridiculous notion, but she maintained a sense of optimism about it. "Or sleeping?"

But even as she thought of probable situations to make sense of Yirimeer's shy tactics, she realized they were quite silly. He could be dead... That thought was dreadful considering what Haikan had gone through to find the hermit mage. Kneeling down herself, Mary picked up a long shard of the door which had fragmented and gave it a casual toss into the building. She bit her pink bottom lip as soon as she'd done it. Don't be mad! It was a commandment for both Yirimeer and Haikan.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Well that didn't work... At least we have his attention. He braced himself. Mary McGregor's uncertainty made him nervous. Is something wrong...? He knocked again, and having heard the papers shuffling, he assumed he was in easy earshot of this man. More quietly he spoke, in a normal volume.

"Yirimeer, my name is Haikan Verida. I am here with the hopes of learning from you, and for good cause. I am in the company of an old fan of yours, by the name of Mary. Would you... Please teach me." He spoke in the most charismatic and innocent voice he could muster, given the circumstances. He peered around the corner again, still cautious, and he looked inside. What if he's not here? Will all this have been for nothing!? The adhiel began to worry.

I would have put Mary at risk for no reason. This whole situation could have been avoided... No shield is needed if there is no attacker.. - No, she meant what she said! There would have been blood either way. - Still, he must be here... He must. I need to learn, to better defend. His mind raced and a bead of sweat rolled in front of his ear, down his cheek. Full of hope yet caution, he spoke once again.

"May we come in? I do not wish to disturb you..."
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"This is silly," Mary began, and took a very brave step forward which brought her onto the threshold of the door, but not yet beyond it. "Hellooooo?" The young woman's voice carried back with echoed clarity. "oh-oh-oh.." She giggled. "Echos are pretty neat," she said with a bright grin, as if they were as much of magick as anything else.

The prostitute grabbed Haikan's hand and gave it a squeeze. "Come on, then.. let's have it," she took another step forward and brought her knight along with her while widening her eyes to take in all the light she could in the dismally dark room.

In here there were other burned and charred things, including rolls of parchment rustled by the wind of the open door. A subtle scratching noise could be heard beyond the main foyer, off to the left beyond a door which appeared distressed and damaged including a notch taken out of the bottom right corner about the size that a cat could fit in if properly motivated. "That's sort of weird..." Mary said quietly.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Alright... The adhiel's heart pounded in his ribcage, as a lunatic trying to bang his way out of his prison cell. His sensitive eyes adjusted, and with much paranoia his ears twitched. He began to walk inside, with tense legs ready to spring for flight at any moment. Thump, thump, thump, thump... His heartbeat was audible to himself, his pulse pounding in his ears from the silence.

"Yirimeer, are you there...?" He asked, and he began to walk with Mary slightly deeper into the house, towards the scratching sound. "Did you hear us at the door?" Please don't be angry, please don't be angry... He was elevated on his toes the entire time, with his eyes flicking toward the exit with readyness. As he approached the inner door, he gently spoke, as politely as he could.

"Hello?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

There was still no verbal response, leaving Mary to decide it best to stop trying to call out. "I think he'd have heard us by now.. don't you?" Her hand held tighter still to his as they moved toward the damaged door. Upon reaching a stride's length away from it the scratching beyond stopped, giving over to a different sound comparative only to skittering.

Whatever it was was skittering closer to them, to the door, and to the hole in the bottom of it. Within three flickers, which Haikan could count via his resounding heartbeats, a light began, one that was yellow and bright and gathering beyond the door, giving over to stark rays that cut through the hole and pooled over Mary's dress and Haikan's legs.

The young woman's eyes grew large with surprise. "Whah?" Was the only thing she got out before the ever-brightening perished with a great cough, sputter and then a sneeze, leaving them in an even darker room - somehow, if only because their eyes had gotten used to the warmth of the light. "I..er.." Mary looked at Haikan. "What in the nether was that?"

There was another sneeze in the room beyond.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Haikan decided that it was now or never. The time to delay was long gone and he had urgent business to attend to. Here goes...

He walked through the door, still tightly gripping Mary's hand, a little unaware of how firm his grasp was. "Come Mary, let's see what he's up to, maybe we can help."

As he entered the door, he remained on edge, ever ready to leap backwards, but he scanned the room for any Yirimeers that may be around... "Yirimeer the Red, I am Haikan Verida, leader of Terra West Trading! I lead this new group which has great promise and intends to bring peace to the Western Kingdom, and friendship between all peoples! There are many dangers I face, most steep." He spoke very clearly, and earnestly, insistent and hopeful.

"Master Yirimeer, I beseech you to please, teach me of sorcery!"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The door wasn't difficult to open, but swung on rusted hinges giving over to a loud screech upon Haikan's entrance. Mary tugged along behind her new friend, peered over his shoulder to try to get a good look.

The couple was given the view of a large, open and fairly vacant room that was once an office of some kind, or atleast would be the likely assumption thanks to the large oaken desk. A few stuffed chairs were infront of the desk, obscuring it's wooden front with their tattered backs which were torn at by sharp claws. Claws which belonged to the most curious thing in the room.

Prince Fangwyrd of King's Court stood up on his haunches, his long ruby-red claws digging into the shredded carpet beneath his scaled feet while a dexterous tail positioned itself as a balance. His body was catsized, approximately, though perhaps longer given his elegant neck adorned with spikes and the addition of his lengthy tail and it's spaded end.

Curiosity danced in ember-glazed eyes. The scales of his body were red, but mirrored, so that he shimmered even the darkness. He had two large horns jutting out of either side of his head, but it was his forepaws that demanded the most attention, for they carried bits of things - shining things - for Fang (as his previous master called him) was a collector.

"Lookit it!" Perhaps it was the large eyes, or the so-far gentle demeanor of the minute dragon - either way, Mary felt herself going all maternal on the creature which she wanted to pick up and carry on out of the dismal abandoned building. "Hey there, little fella," she said with a cooing tone, but Fangwyrd didn't budge, instead his neck and cheeks began to sort of expand as if like a fish puffing up gills as he rapidly brought air into the glands which would produce the fire to protect himself from these strangers which had entered his master's domain.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

It was amazing, what lay before him. A miniature resemblance of the most majestic creature in all of Tazlure. "Hey buddy, you hungry?" Haikan said, instantly falling in love with the creature. From his sack he procured a meat ration. Dragons like meat, right? And he slowly and submissively lowered himself to the level of the dragon, to remove all ideas that he was a threat. He extended his hand out holding the meaty treat, and he attempted to befriend the dragon, without the condescending nature of man to pet. It was more along the lines of a peace offering.

"What is your name?" He said, and he noticed the trinkets in Fangwyrd's hands. He proceeded to pull off one of the spare shiny golden buttons on his cuff, and he rolled it over to the mini dragon as an additional token of friendship.

"We are friends, graceful dragon."
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Fang sniffed at the air, blinking his large opalascent eyes while his neck flared and expanded, displaying an unseen row of protruding spikes off his jaw. Extending his neck even further, he sought out the new smells of these strangers. Each carried the scent of booze on them, hugging their flesh, but the more forward of the pair also smelled of food, blood, fear and excitement - all things that Fangwyrd was rather sensitive to.

Haikan offered his meat, toward which Fang moved by crouching back down and inhaling deeply. It was the button, however, that earned Haikan the joy of not being toasted like the Oneists who'd come before him. It was even more curious that this half-breed biped was interested in talking to the beast. He'd anticipated a retreat.

"King Fangwyrd the Great of the Wide Expanse of Western Terra," he announced with a flourish and even a bow. The mini-dragon's voice was low, deep, and above all else, cultured. His title had a way of expanding as necessary, but Haikan nor Mary had any way of knowing that. Greedily, Fang picked up the offered button and examined it, though didn't show signs of interest in the meat.

"Your scales are beautiful," Mary said, quite enthralled with both he and his shining trinkets.

"Thank you my most gracious lady," Fang nearly purred, but then looked after Haikan. "I shall not eat you, you are allowed to leave... she can stay." Mary looked toward Haikan and squeezed his hand as if to say: No way!
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Despite the fact that the dragon asked him to leave, Haikan had other plans. He respectfully put his hands together and returned the bow, and he proceeded to speak in a humble, respectful tone. "Good King Fangwyrd the Great of the Wide Expanse of Western Terra. Before I leave I would like to know if your Majesty could help me. As you may have overheard, I wish to bring peace to your Western Kingdom. However, this path is arduous and holds many perils." He gave a crisp salute, to accommodate his next sentence.

"I am the captain and tactician of a small group who wishes to fulfill this peace by uniting the nation in trade. My need of your liege is, to learn to conjure flames as you do. Of course they would not be as graceful and potent as your own, but it would be for the sake of saving many lives, and I would be forever grateful if you could help me." With that, he knelt onto one knee and bowed his head to the king.
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Fangwyrd parted with his goodies, leaving them in a small pile, and moved toward the kneeling diplomat, who was joined by Mary who gave over to a deep curtsey to assist Haikan's cause. Her head was bowed, leaving the pins she used to pull back her hair exposed to Fang's attentive eyes. He would've liked to take them, and even considered pouncing on her head. Her hair is such a perfect color... Fang managed to contain himself.

Haikan did a lovely job of appealing to the King's sensiblities. "I can handle ANY peril you set before me!" He announced clearly, his chest swelling with pride. "I am a hero and would enjoy this very much," he continued. "In return I request only three virgins and as many spoils as I gather through your trip." It seemed like a good request to Fang, anyway.

"What happened to Yirimeer?" Mary asked without warning, and as soon as Fang had finished speaking.

"He? Who? Wh... I ..." Fang's nose rose in the air. "I don't know what you're talking about. I am the King of this Castle - there is no one else but me."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Very well, King Fangwyrd, you may have said rewards for helping us." Haikan gave Mary a knowing look, to make sure she did not get the wrong impression. He did not intend to give him human virgins, but rather some sort of livestock. That needn't be mentioned, since the dragon had not specified the race of the virgins. Three sheep that had not mated would fit the role just fine. Dragons liked mutton, right?

"If we agree to these terms though, I ask that you also teach me how to manipulate energy. I wish to learn of magick, in fact that is what brought me here originally. I offer to be a good student, and to bring you along on our heroic mission, so you may show your greatness to all who ask your glorious name. We would together make quite a wondrous and heroic team." He smiled, and his diplomatic nature was returning to him. He pulled his shining silver signet ring out of his pocket, and he tossed it to the dragon.

"And, of course there are many interesting trinkets to be found when trading with farlanders. You could find many who would offer you gems and coins, and I suppose I could share some of my bounty with you, King Fangwyrd." He grinned and he elevated his hands, palms face up, to signify the beginning of an agreement, and he bowed again.

"How does that sound, good king?"
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The mirror-scaled dragon's claws wrapped around one another as his bright eyes swelled with the opportunity. Haikan offered him another piece of bribery, and this one he checked out with a scrutinizing sniff before picking up and wiggling over one of his fat little toes on his left hind quarter. Mary giggled. "It fits you perfectly," she said.

Fangwyrd puffed up some more, this time with ego. "I believe I'm quite interested in this journey, and I can teach you magick - for I am skilled!" At this, the King's throat swelled some more and he expelled an impromptu fire ring punctuated with smoke so that it looked a bit like a bullseye. "Such as that, though I don't believe you have the bodily functions necessary to do such a trick." Fang lowered himself from his haunches. "I need to put away my prizes - I shall return," he skittered away with Haikan's button amidst numerous other shinies.

"He's Yirimeer's familiar, I've seen him before, but.. Yirimeer only called him Fang - atleast, from what I remember," Mary said to Haikan. She still retained her grasp on his hand. "I'm sorry the mage isn't here," her large light eyes met Haikan's apologetically.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Very well then! It's a deal!" The captain smiled and he felt relieved. I may not be able to breathe fire, but I'm confident that I could learn to conjure it. Maybe I could learn to use magick for other things too! His tactical mind began to race with the possibilities of battle-strategies he could use magick for. His idea of magick was still vague and glorified, but he hoped it would be everything his mind promised. Arcs of fire, slicing ice torrents, blasting lighting... I have a lot that I need to learn!

"I assumed he might be Yirimeers companion, although he seems to have a healthy ego. No worries, a healthy ego can lead one to be brave among cowards. I choose to see it as a good quality, even if he is a bit misproportioned with common belief of the kingdom." He smiled. He knew dragons probably had sharp hearing, so he wasn't about to laugh. "And it's alright that he isn't here, this turned out to be just fine regardless."

The adhiel was growing attached to Mary, and he ultimately intended to ask her to come as well... Not yet though, the time wasn't right. He didn't want her to refuse.
Last edited by Haikan on Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Mary smiled - and was happy and relieved that Haikan wasn't upset with her for the mage not still being in town. She tried to recall if there were any other magick users, but she couldn't think of any. The young woman was prepared to use her street-savy on his behalf. She would find him a mentor - a real one, not a funny little dragon. Atleast, that's what she told herself as the burns melded one into the other.

Below them, Fangwyrd shimmied between his prizes trying to find his favorite things. There were a few obvious choices, and these he draped on his body to keep close for they were special gifts from his master. There were other things, though.. things he'd collected himself which were of value to him because of where they were found (one in a waterfall!) and others still because he knew their value. These things he jammed into a chest which was rather small but upon his finish also quite heavy. This he pulled up the stairs with audible thumps that Mary and Haikan could hear approaching them, followed by a scratching dragging as he put all his weight into bringing his crate of prizes into the room he'd left his new followers in.

Upon entrance he let go of the trunk, adjusted the crown he'd procured and put on his head, and fixed one of the four or five amulets that hung heavily on his neck. "A King has many important objects. I've brought the magick ones with me. These will all assist us on our journey," he announced, and then stepped aside to motion Haikan toward the crate, which was only a foot wide, foot long and foot deep. "If you please."

Return to “KC Archive”