O Captain (Jygust 30th, Early TT)

Moderator: Mods

Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

O Captain (Jygust 30th, Early TT)

Post by Quinlan Corodin »

The first mark of tradetide saw Quinlan Corodin making his way south through the city. The second half of morningtide had been spent in the bazaar, just as he had mentioned to his uncle and aunt. Quinlan had thought to look for clothes that might be more comfortable in the heat, but he found nothing that seemed cooler than what he already had. What he did end up purchasing, he seemed to be getting on well with so far.

"I could get used to this, Nago." Quinlan sat high in the saddle atop his horse, rocking slightly side-to-side as he walked. Nago was the color of buckskin, with brown legs and head. His black mane and tail were recently brushed. Quinlan had wondered if riding through town so soon was the best idea, but Nago had seemed even-tempered enough back at the breeder's.

"What better way to get to know one another, hm?" Quinlan said pleasantly.

The Waterworks was soon in sight, and he slid down and took to leading his horse as he approached the gate.
A dense forest of masts is the first signal that something is up. Masts of different woods, sizes and diameters, sporting the flags of the known countries of Tazlure, announce the site of the Waterworks Yard. They reach out above the granaries and warehouses cramming the docks and thus grace the port-area with grandeur uncommon to the skyline of an average harbour. A heavy oak gate bars the path of any people searching for the roots of those tall poles. Beside it there is a small but sturdy cabin housing three beefy guards. Passage is only granted to those capable of handing over a written permission from a trusted supplier or from an employee of the shipyard itself.

Inside the well-guarded gate the atmosphere is dominated by a hive of activity. Shipbuilding is divided into clearly defined segments. Although ship parts seem to dot the complete area at random the opposite is true. Every single piece of building material is at its rightful place and being prepared for further processing. Workmen of all ages, races and trades work together in a united camaraderie. They shine with a pride born from the knowledge that a ship from their workshop, when completed, will be recognized and honoured as one of the best vessels braving the high seas.

In the middle of all the hustle and bustle a building emerges between the squat, low, slate roofed workshops. This, the only stone build structure on the premises, houses the office of the owner of the Waterworks. The ground floor is used as a design studio. Here ideas bloom and models are built to test them. Littering almost every surface available are prototypes of almost every ship commissioned in the yard. Some new, more advanced vessels can also be spotted, providing you know your goat from your sheep within the shipbuilding trade. During the ascent of the stairs, propped in the far corner of the building, another room reveals itself. Taking up the whole of the second floor and filled with files and documents is the Waterworks’ archive. This dusty space contains the written briefs and contracts of the ever growing clientele.

Reaching the top of the creaky staircase one is presented with a room clearly in strife with itself. Signs of lowly savagery and elements of highest sophistication battle for attention in this the office of the yardmaster. Fierce and dangerous weapons line one wall while dotted around the room fine sculptures and detailed drawings can be spotted. The room expresses the roots and drives of an interesting personality.

The improbable owner of all this is an Orc. Well, not your average Orc, no, a vertically challenged one at that. However, his vision and shipbuilding skills make up for the slight deficiency with ease. Master Navirez is the proud mind that created this, one of the largest shipyards on Tazlure. Accustomed to working alongside humans and other races, this 2.4 paces tall former member of the Targri-orcs has covered his fierce personality with a thin layer of civility. He finds this makes his dealings with non-orcs less stressful and sometimes even enjoyable. The moment he came to this new insight his enterprise started to bloom as none before. Now some ten years down the line his knowledge and vision is beyond doubt and everyone keeps wondering about his next revelation.

Quinlan pulled a rolled paper from a pouch at his belt. The black iron guard of his schlaeger was hard to miss as it hung at his side. It might have been unseemly to roam Roque armed, Quinlan wasn't sure. But he simply didn't feel dressed without his sword, especially since his days in the Condotierre legion not so long ago.

Feeling certain that he looked out of place, he prepared to show the note - stating permission and intent to see Navirez - like a badge to whomever might concern themselves as he looked for the captain.
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

"Hurmph" Was Nago's response to Quinlan, as he obediently continued on his path. Nago was a well-trained horse, and obedient. Still Quinlan was but a stranger yet, and he wasn't willing to jump over any canyons for him. As Quinlan started to lead him, he shook his mane and tail and repeated his grunt, this time a little bit more horse than the last...

There were two guards that stood by the gates to the Waterworks with crossed spears, and one off to the side playing with some sort of odd toy. It appeared that he was holding a cup, with a string attached and a ball at the end of a string, and that he was trying to catch the ball in the cup. As the two speared guards noticed Quinlan procure his note, the guards immediately uncrossed their spears and the other guard continued to play with his toy. The spear-guard adjacent to him quickly smacked his chest and the oblivious guard then looked around, fully confused. After about five flickers of bewilderment and startled glancing, he too noticed Quinlan's note. "Oh! Right!" He formed a crisp salute, and the ball on a string whipped around to smack him in the eye. He held his salute firmly, but he was now winking and tearing up in his left eye.

"Welcome, favoured guest of master Navirez! May fortune also favour you this day!" The three of them all said in unison. Quinlan may have noticed that the note was on a strange piece of parchment, with blue stripes running along the back side of it. "Sir, may we kindly stable your horse until you have finished your business here!" The guard with the stringed toy asked, but his tone made it sound more like a nervous statement to a superior officer.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

"Uh, yes," Quinlan answered slowly. For a split flicker, he thought they might be mocking him. He looked askance at the guard trying to ignore his smarting eye, and gave the note another, closer look. He had not expected quite such an accomodating reaction. Not that he knew what to expect in the first place.

"Of course." Quinlan began to smirk. May I get such a welcome everywhere in Roque d'Ancourt.

"That would be quite fine, I suppose." He held out Nago's reigns. "Be careful, I just got him today," he said, giving his horse a pat on the neck.

He wasn't informed on the depth of Umfer's influence, but he certainly hoped that it was the word of his uncle that commanded such respect. Even so, he suspected that it was actually the reputation of the captain that brought the guards to attention.

"I'll mention to Captain Navirez how helpful you were. Tell me, where is he presently?" he asked, intending to follow their indication directly.
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"We will give the best care that this horse has ever seen!" Said the toy wielding guard. He then proceeded to take the rein of the horse and lead it away, patting it on the head and talking to it as if it were a person.

"You must forgive Zachariah, it's been a long shift for him, and he's almost done. Four tides in a row he's worked. You see, those of us guards that remain have to work twice as hard since a few of the guard have been disappearing. Half of those who don't disappear quit from fear of kidnapping." The guard to the left assured Quinlan.

The other guard nodded his head and took over. "Master Navirez can be found in the only stone building of the waterworks. It's smack in the middle of the shipyard, ya can't miss it. I imagine since you've got a note like that, he'll be happy to see you. You can feel free to move along if you wish."
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

"Kidnapping?" Quinlan frowned. "That's... related to why I'm here, as a matter of fact. Who..." Quinlan started to question the giard, but decided he may as well speak to the boss first. "Don't you fellows go anywhere." If Navirez didn't have information himself, he may at least be able to allow free passage.

Capturing the guards themselves? Who would be so bold? Quinlan wondered as he hastily walked toward the small building. And why would pirates or raiders not simply avoid or kill them? No, this hardly as simple as that. Almost as though someone is sending a message.

Note still in hand, Quinlan rapped firmly on the door to the stone office.

"Captain Navirez?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The guards nodded at Quinlan and continued to point him in the right direction. As he walked he passed many busy workers, carrying wood and hammering nails, etc. After about a five burn walk, he reached the captain's stone building, and he knocked on the door. He could hear a loud thud followed by what sounded like an entire stack of papers being thrown across a room. "Ow, gods that hurt!"

Three loud steps approached the door and it violently swung open. Inside the building was a man who was quite tall and thick. He stood at about 6’4” and was rippled with dense muscle. A brown handlebar moustache draped over his mouth, and his skin was rough and tan. He had a pipe hanging out of his mouth, unlit. His eyes were beady and brown, and his head was bald and shiny. His arms, legs and knuckles were thickly carpeted with hair.

"What!?!?" He screamed loudly at Quinlan, until his eyes made there way to the note he was holding. "Oh... uh... sorry master Sorihn, please forgive me. It's been a long day. Allow me to fetch the captain." He bowed graciously and with his head ducked in shame, he swiftly walked up the stairs and called for Navirez. The captain walked down the stairs in front of the tall man, and was shockingly short. It was also quite clear that he was an orc. He wore a crafty grin on his face and he winked at Quinlan.

"Master Sorihn" wink. "...Would you please come upstairs with me, into my office?"
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

The mustachioed man swung the door open, and was practically eye-to-eye with Quinlan's grimacing face. The two men were a macth in size, though Quinlan was not quite so beefy.

"That's alright." The reception was not so surprising, what with all the knocking around before the door opened. "I didn't mean to startle."

What was surprising was the appearance of Navirez. It was at that moment when Quinlan decided the Waterworks was something of a madhouse. It had been such a time since he had seen an orc, that he didn't immediately recognize the captain as one.

"Captain... Navirez?" Quinlan thought making faces was rude, but he couldn't stop himself from gaping a little. "Er, of course." As he followed Navirez, he tried to remember the last time he even saw an orc in person. He hardly noticed as they called him by his uncle's surname, though it was no mystery with how recognizable that note seemed to be.

"Thank you for taking the time to see me, Captain," he said as they topped the stairs. "I'm sure the Waterworks is... a busy place." True to his word, he added, "Even so, the guards at the gate were very helpful."

"My name is Quinlan Corodin," he said, sparing a look around to see the kind of office an orc might keep. "The Sorihns are family. I take it you know why I've come?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Of course. Leave it to that lazy son of a bitch to send someone else." Captain Navirez laughed hysterically after saying this and he reached up and slapped Quinlan on the shoulder, jumping a little bit to do so. James merely stood behind him, focusing his gaze on the floor. "I suppose that since he sent you, that means he's more than confident in your abilities. Come upstairs, let us talk in private." And the captain turned to lead Quinlan up a flight of stairs, speaking as they went.

"I don't know how much you know or what the conditions were of your hearing about this. If Margot was around I'm willing to bet ol' Umfer didn't tell you a damn thing. That old bag is always worried about something!" He cackled again, but as soon as the two of them were at the top of three flights of stairs and in his office, his face grew deathly serious.

"Quinlan, in talking to me you are risking your life. I would like to hire you to lead some investigations involving the disappearances of my crew and our imports. I don't know shit about your abilities, but I trust that if you are of the Sorihn family, you got what it takes." He walked over to a low window behind his desk, and he turned around to face the boy.

"Are you willing to commit to this?"
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Quinlan couldn't help but bristle. Even if they weren't very familiar with each other, that "old bag" and her brother were family. Margot had been as nice as she could be to Quinlan since he arrived, too. He told himself that rough talk was just the best one could expect down by the docks.

"Ms. Sorihn only has the good of all at heart," he intoned. "I don't have many details, no."

And apparently, there were some very important ones he was lacking, if he was risking his life by simply talking to Navirez. And everyone has to take their time in giving them. He nearly groaned out loud.

"What is it today? Umfer, you, it's such a secret," he complained lightly. "Yes, a thousand times, I am willing." He crossed his arms over his chest. "Everyone will just have to wait and see when it comes to my abilities. I cannot make any promies. Who could?" Quinlan shrugged his broad shoulders.

"But, even if it weren't a request from family, even if I did have something else important to see to, I'd still have to look into it now because all this wink-wink-hush-hush business has my curiosity piqued." He leaned foward, laying the note down in front of Navirez. "Do tell, Captain, what is going on?"
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Alrighty then. Quinlan you'll be frontin' the investigation. There's some more involved, namely James and his first mate: A big ol' feller named Frank. What yer investigating is what I believe to be my own kind, threat'ning me for dealing with humans. Unfortunately they're so damn stupid I don't really even know what they want from me. I'm not quittin' my job, so they can forget that... Aye I shouldn't get off on a tangent. Head over to the Broken Blade Arena, James told me Frank was headed down there. Find him and tell him to come to the shipyard tonight during the late eveningtide. 'Til then, you can do whatever sleuthing you want. If you need weapons," With his arms he pointed to the insanely large collection of varying martial weapons that he had on his walls. "...Just ask, but you best be bringin back anything you borrow."
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

"Thank you, I'll remember that," Quinlan replied, eyes sweeping over the collection of weapons. There was nothing he could think of needing right then, but it was nice to know the weapons were available. "I hope that's an open invitation." Quinlan took a few idle steps around the room, surveying Navirez's collection.

"I had no idea there were many orcs in this part of the world. Why do you think this is being done by orcs, has it been going on long? Have you seen any of them, have they tried to attack you?" Quinlan asked, trying to add things up. "Umfer mentioned that the only items that turn up missing are food. And people, of course. And the ships arrive on time in spite of it all."

"What do the city guard say? Has anyone reported seeing orcs about?" Quinlan looked to Navirez. "Other than yourself, anyway. Many questions, I know. Start from the beginning, and all that."
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Aye the guard have had some reports, but none have been captured. All we know is that they are angry, they want something. They don't seem to like what I do, and they seem to own a ship. They keep taking food and then they disappear again." He turned around and looked at the window, which gave a view of the shipyard, and the Mer beyond it.

"And you're correct, there aren't orcs in this part of the world. The only other clans I know of live somewhere around Pax, and there used to be a great many hidden in Taquar... Not so much anymore, the plight of the orc is one on the run these days. Unless you can live amongst the civil races and make a living that way..." He sighed, and his voice betrayed a bit of depression in his attitude.

"Well, I should keep to business. I'll have you know that the only people they kidnap are my workers, and only one to three of them are ever seen on land. Nobody ever gets a good glimpse of the orcs, and it seems that those they meet with keep their mouths shut pretty tight..."

"That's about it. And yes, Quinlan, you can always borrow any of these weapons you see here if it's for the sake of the investigation, but you gotta ask me or James first."
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Quinlan listened impassively to Navirez's answers. The plight of orc-kind hardly struck a chord within him. It was interesting to know, however, that orcs had reportedly been seen, even if only a few at a time. That made the scenario much more concrete than any theory about hungry pirates.

Are orcs a seafaring bunch? he wondered to himself. Navirez himself seemed to suggest so. Still, the idea of a gang of them with their own ship capable of running down merchantmen this way must be particularly looked into.

"Thank you again, Captain Navirez. I'll let you know how it goes." Quinlan nodded farewell, and took his leave from Navirez and James.

With that, his investigation was more or less officially begun. The next stop was the arena, to seek Frank, whoever he was. Quinlan felt some chagrin at the idea of being paired with one of the orc captain's grunts for the night's watch. But, he had to cooperate to a degree, just as they had cooperated with him so far. But before that, the gate guards had a word or two on the matter.

The walk through the docklands was pleasant enough for the former legionairre. The sights and sounds of vessels being constructed, the smell of lumber mixed with sea air. But, seeing the ships all around made it hard not to think about the airships of the Condotierre, and there was a pang in his gut. He had wondered many times if he would ever set foot on one of those sky-craft again. Besides that, would he ever return to World's Mouth again? Would he have reason to?

It was the first time such thoughts weighed on him since he arrived in Roque d'Ancourt. The city was not at its finest, but it was also not without its charms. For one, the air seemed cleaner than the Mouth, hot and balmy though it may have been. And he was getting to know his grandmother's family at last, something which was already beneficial for a man who had kept to himself for one reason or other the past several months.

Besides all that, there's a job to be done, he compelled himself. It made it much easier to set meloncholy thoughts aside, and to put on a friendly face as he approached the guardsmen who had seemed rather nervous earlier.

"Hello again lads," he greeted, his baritone voice loud and pleasant. "Captain Navirez was quite helpful. And quite adamant that we solve this nonsense about robbed cargo and missing people," he subtly urged them. "So, what was it you were saying before?"
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

When Quinlan approached the guards, there were only two. The weary toy-wielding guard had evidently taken off. The other two stood patiently in their usual spots, holding their spears vertically and standing with perfect posture. As he inquired about their earlier musings, the two looked at each other, and the one on the left scratched his head.

"Well... I think we were talking about the disappearing guards. Paul, you said you saw some of those orcs, right?" The man on the left asked. But Paul shook his head.

"No that wasn't me, that was Loki. You know, the guard at the Broken Blade Arena." He nodded his head and he turned to Quinlan to explain. "We were out drinking last night, and he was being an asshole as usual, but he said he had seen some foul-play going on involving some brutish looking folk, who we believe to have been orcs." The other guard nodded.

"Oh, that's right, my mistake."
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

"A guard at the arena?" Quinlan repeated. "Where did he say he saw these brutes?" He was almost afraid to ask. Reliability went out the window when drinking was involved, and they weren't even talking about a waterfront guard. "How long ago was it, or the last time something or someone went missing, for that matter?"

"What about guards here at the Waterworks?" he asked, letting them answer in turn before continuing. "Did you know any of the people who've gone missing? The ships that are robbed, what kind of shape do they show up in?"

He thought hard about what to ask. Even hearsay could turn into something important. No one person seemed to know much at all though, only adding to the mystery surrounding already strange occurances. Even as he tried to sort out what he was told, his anticipation grew for that gravetide when he could observe for himself.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"I don't know, he's a total ass and I wasn't fully listening. He's probably on duty at the Broken Blade Arena as we speak. You could go talk to him, but be warned, he is a total vipertongue." The guard to the left told Quinlan. "The most recent person to go missing was last night. It was Karl who works on ship repairs... Before that it was Wallace, who mends sails, and about a week ago we lost a chef from the mess hall... That's all I know on the disappearances..." He scratched his head and he creased his brow, clearly thinking was not his strongest suit. "I don't know why nobody is ever killed, just a few people disappear now and then. The only thing that is stolen from other ships is food, and sometimes there are planks missing, and holes in the sail here and there, but I don't know what that has to do with anything..."

The other guard was fast asleep, leaning against a post.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Quinlan pursed his lips, exasperated. Noone seems too awfully concerned about this, he thought. If it's like this throughout Roque d'Ancourt, no wonder the rumors are bad.

"What about the crews of the ships?" he demanded of the conscious guard, realizing that it was a question he should have also asked Navirez. "What explanation to they have for the damage and the robbery?" So far it seemed noone wanted to take responsibility. 'There's some damage, some food and folks are missing, maybe spotted an orc or two, that's about all we know,' he mocked in his mind.

For guards, they didn't seem to have much awareness of the ill deeds being done at the docks. The investigation was shaping up to be one that could only be handled by a decidedly hands-on approach.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Look kid, I'm just a gate guard." He said, clearly exhausted. "...The waterworks crew doesn't talk much to the merchants aside from fixin' up their ships and buying their stuff. I told you what we know. That note tells me you're a Sorihn. Why don't you use your brain and figger out what a bunch of stinkin' orcs would want with food, planks, sail-canvas, and a few humans." He put his finger to his chin and thought. "A chef, and a couple repairmen were kidnapped, but that's all the information I've got for you. And the merchant's are probably halfway to the Empire by now, so good luck tracking them down..." He seemed disappointed by Quinlan's lackluster show of deductive skills.

"Got any ideas, Sorihn?"
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

"Just a gate guard. Indeed."

Quinlan had to remind himself to stay civil. The "kid" and "boy" talk was grating to his pride. As someone who had led men - to their deaths, in some cases - he had no doubt that his boyhood days were well behind him, though it did not occur to him in so many words.

"Well, thank you for answering my questions," he said dryly. "If you'll point me to where my horse is kept, I'll be on my way."

One good part was that Umfer seemed to have quite a bit of clout, apparently. At least, he did with the men of the Waterworks. Quinlan wasn't the sort to be content with trading in on a family name, especially when it wasn't really his. For now, there was little point in correcting anyone.

"I am a Corodin," he blurted anyway. Without thinking, he had felt compelled. "Eh, master Sorihn is... my uncle," he explained after a pause, slightly inaccurately.

Quinlan sighed through his nose as he left the vicinity of the waterfront. His questioning errands continued, and he turned over the details he had learned so far in his mind, insignificant though they seemed at that moment. For now, the little details and the right questions are key. They must be.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The guard nodded and pointed Quinlan to a stable that was about ten yards off to the left. He looked confused when Quinlan said his last name, but upon the clarification he looked enlightened. Nago seemed happy to see Quinlan. He obediently followed or carried Quinlan off as he moved on to his next endeavor...
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

QC's got skillz!

*- Knowledge Roque
*- Logical Analysis
*- Riding Horsey

New skill!

*Knowledge WaterWorks
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”