ENTRANCE: Vigilent Gates - Jygust 31st 1225 AD - Morningtide

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

ENTRANCE: Vigilent Gates - Jygust 31st 1225 AD - Morningtide

Post by Ashari »

As one would approach the wide, packed dirt path which lead to the gates of the 'Star of the Kingdom', they would behold one of the largest cities on the continent. Massive walls surrounded a sprawling city which sat comfortably in a seaside location. The sea to one side, the grass and trees of the Downs on the other. It was an impressive bastion of western culture, but the city was not without its scars.

King's Court had most certainly seen war and it had taken its toll on the defenses of the town. The South and West walls had suffered severe damage. The gates themselves, those Vigilant Gates of heavy oak proudly displaying the shield of arms of the king, were gone, replaced by rough cut wood from the fields surrounding Kings Court. Reconstruction of the gates has been put on hold given current dire circumstances within the city. In spite of the damaged state of the city, she was still the grand capital of the Western Kingdoms. A constant drone of humanity flooded over the walls as people went about their daily business. The shuffle of townspeople walking, the clacking of nobles riding by on carriage; it all came together as one single chorus of life.

A wall of stony-faced military men were blockading the gate. At least four soldiers could be found on the ground and that number again could be seen patrolling the wall near the gate with crossbows readied. The city was in turmoil with the declaration of martial law at hand and the new power was taking no chances in regards to security. It was these men who stopped for questioning any and all who would enter the city.

As travelers approached the gates they were greeted by a quick battery of questions. Sergeant Kaine Wilthrope, a thin human of medium height, would inquire, "You there! Who are you? If yer thinking of walking right into the capital, you've gots another thing coming. I need your name- your entire name. Also, tell me your business here in King's Court. Lastly, I'm going to need to know your religious allegiance- Do you pay respects to our One God, Dominicus?"
Last edited by Ashari on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The trip west had been slow and uneventful, though truth be told a pirate attack or a raging storm hitting them would not be seen as anything out of the ordinary by Gavin. Still, the past couple of months have taught the tall warrior to appreciate the calm while it was there, even though the calm was broken with the last bit of news they received from Duke Erwin. Sure, being a Baron had to have its benefits, but right now Gavin could not afford to be tied down to a piece of land. Maybe some day when he was older and when the many injuries he had suffered made traveling painful. Right now he was happy to leave the Barony in a capable hands of a steward Cristobal Scion found, the only change he himself made to the Barony of Bruách being an offer to his mother to move and live there. He was not sure she would accept, but the offer stood open, the bearded warrior wanting to make sure she had a nice and warm home and wanted for nothing.

Good part of the trip was spent teasing the new Baroness of Creiddyladd about the title, the rest spent wandering the ship and enjoying the vastness of view that surrounded them. Every once in a while he would mention the name of Mickey Delarue to the sea, telling the tale of the man’s noble death and sacrifice to those who were willing to listen. For most part he was quiet and his only regret was lack of proper whittling material on board, the wood used for ship repairs too hard to be used, or at least too hard for him to use it.

Calm and uneventful as the trip was, the arrival was anything but, the ship’s captain informing the pair that the port was closed under orders from some Commander or such, which meant they would have to turn back. Seeing how lack of port was hardly something they could not go around, the proposed solution was simple and efficient. The ship anchored off the coast some distance from the city itself and a boat put Gavin and Syrawenn ashore, along with all their mobile possessions. The fact the port was closed meant there was some trouble within the city and thus Gavin wasted no time putting his armor and strapping on the sword. The dwarven forged armor rested well on his shoulders and with a smile he waited for Syrawenn to be ready as well, before setting off towards the gate on foot.

It seemed like ages have passed since the last time he was through the gates of Dort, the questions the guards asked similar, but not quite the same. Step by step they came closer, Gavin having a nagging feeling that something about the whole scene was just plain wrong. “Uhm, that is four questions. Name is one. Occupation is two. Purpose in the city is three. And the Dominicus thing is four. And how the Nether does a person affirm he is a Dominicus follower or something. And what happens if he or she ain’t a Dominicus follower.” Then he grinned and nudged the girl with his elbow. “Think they’ll forbid a Baron and Baroness to enter if we say we don’t like Dominicus?”
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn liked the sea.

It was weird, actually simply liking something for what it was, but at least the sea had no ulterior motives or plans. It was simply the sea, with it's good waves and it's bad.

Quite different from suddenly being a baroness. Of course she had asked just about a kazillion questions about what it entailed and if it would stop her from the things she might want to do outside the barony.

Once it became clear that a steward would be appointed, there was a huge breath of relief, after which the girl jumped on the chance to settle some imaginary 'border issues' with her neighbouring baron. Especially wandering sheep giving birth seemed like a wonderful little situation to solve with the bearded baron next to her. Of course any discussion would inevitably end with Syrawenn threatening to build a fence or invading his barony.

Once off the ship with her meager belongings, the girl frowned. They'd be meeting her family soon, now.

That's what I wanted, right?
Letting em know I'm okay. Talkin to dad...

Her stomach took a tumble as her hand reached for the scarf that still covered her neck.

Owww, I wonder if I can still turn back...no, come on, no wussy stuff. Maybe things changed. Maybe it's alrigth now. Maybe I can talk to em. Maybe they understand now.

She took a deep breath, listening to Gavin sum up the gate questions. "Hmmm, wonder if I still got my pass somewhere. Doubt it, after the ...err...stormy weather." She made a face. "I'm from here, remember? Should be able to get in on family visit. An I can honestly say that Dominicus an me see eye to eye...I won't mention blackening that eye. So, no lies." The girl nodded. "An I'd kinda sorta rather keep that title in my pocket. It ain't like it's gonna be useful here anyway an if we need it, it's better as a surprise than as givin em time to find out if they CAN refuse us anythin, if ya know what I mean..."

It was a lot of reasoning for the youngster, but since she had not had much trouble getting in last time, she doubted this time would be different.

Cept that this time there's this bearded fellow followin me an we mighta have helped out with an insanely paganistic ritual thing?

Pff.
Details.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Sadly for Syrawenn the aggressive and expansionist policy of her Barony was not met with counter-threats, but with offers of neighborly help and assistance. Gavin offered to help her design the fence and even to help build it if that was what she wanted, and threats of invasion were met with queries if there would be room for experienced warrior in her troops and how much she would pay a man of Gavin’s caliber to fight for her against the nasty Baron of Bruách. It was not that he liked making her angry, but he simply found her adorable when she was in full grumble mode. And besides he did not truly believe she would invade over some sheep, though if anyone was close to doing it, it would be Syrawenn.

He grinned at the mention of her seeing eye to eye with Dominicus and pondered something. “Well, I am stating my occupation is demonslayer. Should be enough to convince them not to pry too much.” He grinned and shifted under the weight of his armor. “Besides, how do they know a person is a follower of Dominicus? I just have to say it and they believe me?” He shrugged and sighed. “Besides being a Baron means we are not supposed to go to all the best taverns. I don’t like fancy places. Their beer is too weak. And I din’t change with the title. Just don’t have to worry about money now, and I have some people who I got to protect. Not a big change really, right?”
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The previous discussion was a brawl waiting to happen, but now was not the time since their goal was to get back into King's Court.

She nodded. "Yep, you could just say it. I grew up with them prayers. Were knocked into my head, heh. So no worries. I can give ya somethin to work with if ya think ya need it. An I don't think they care much about barons at the Court's gates. Plenty they've seen. I'd rather go fer the family visit thing an my very just an right upbringing."

Syrawenn fluttered her eyelashes a couple of times before she broke into a grin. "Come on, let's do this."

If Gavin asked for it, the girl would give him a simple prayer to Dominicus, one that any working man would say before starting the day's tasks or the evening's dinner.

With a confident step the youngster walked up to the guards, all businesslike with her head held high. "Syrawenn Lwyn. Daughter to merchant Lwyn. Home on a family visit and I been raised to pray to our One God, Dominicus." She made the sign instinctively, falling back into her childhood rearing.

It wasn't even a lie. She was raised properly, or at least as properly as an overzealous father could.
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

OOC: Sorry for the location description confusion. Things are changing quickly around here these days.

As the couple approached, it was evident that there was no morningtide line at the gate. The only human life that was immediately apparant was that of the the uniformed men who stood atop the wall and near the entrance. They cast direct and quizzical stares towards the travelers, their eyes drilling straight through the newly-made nobles in a calculating, militaristic manner. While the crossbowmen did not raise their weapons at the newcomers, it was obvious that they were alert and ready to force back any who were not welcome at a flicker's notice.
Syra wrote:"Syrawenn Lwyn. Daughter to merchant Lwyn. Home on a family visit and I been raised to pray to our One God, Dominicus."

Kaine's eyes especially showed off their penetrating quality as he studied the girl while she introduced herself. Once she had finished he replied, "Haven't ya heard of the chaos, my girl?" And with a with a mocking sneer he added, "It's hardly an ideal time for a friendly family visit."

His attention was then turned towards Gavin's towering figure. "And this one... does he talk? Or does he just stand around lookin' suspicious?"

The guard was serious but it could be seen that he was taking pleasure in his duty. His smile was only half curled- in a sarcastic manner. But his face was glowing with a peculiar shade of glee. Sergeant Kaine Wilthrope's lanky form stood- wearing an expectant look spread thinly across his smug face.

The sun broke free from the grasp of a low-sitting cloud and began to brighten and warm the lands around them all. The stickiness of wet air could already be felt and a lack of wind made it all the more noticeable.
~AbboTT
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

It was hard for a man not to look suspicious wearing a heavy armor and a sword like Gavin did, but truth be told he was not trying very hard not to look that way. As they came closer he observed the archers on the walls, not concerned about their presence as much as he was by what their presence there implied. One word that Sergeant used merely confirmed Gavin’s doubts, though he remained silent until the moment he was addressed. Curiosity had its place, but the obviously hostile Sergeant was probably not the best source of information. Without thought the tall warrior’s right foot moved forward, his left foot rotating slightly, entire body shifting closer to a battle stance. Archers on the wall were minor concern since they could hardly see them under the gates.

Seeing how he was not quite addressed directly,Ggavin saw no reason to respond to the Sergeant. Syrawenn could do that for him. There was no reason however why he could not talk to her. “Seems our arrival was timely after all. This chaos the Sergeant mentioned could be merely a beginning.” He looked up and inhaled the wet, sticky air through his nose, furrowing his brow. “It even smells like trouble is brewing. And you know how conflict and fighting weakens the barriers between Tether and Nether. Hopefully there won’t be any demons slipping through, but if they are I think the Sergeant might change his opinion of the way I look. After all, the only time people appreciate the presence of demonslayer is when there is demons around. Or even when they just think the creatures of the Nether are present.” Not once did he look at the Sergeant, speaking with the girl at his side, the tall warrior’s voice calm and soft, not a shred of tension audible in it.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn made a face. It was not the first time she heard the guards spout such utter nonsensical remarks, but now with the current situation a simple guard in a bad mood could mean the difference between entrance and exit. And this man looked like he was going to milk the situation for what it was worth.

"What better time to visit family than in times of trouble?" She countered, her hands on her hips, chin lifted. "Any good man or woman would stand by their family when need be! And this one..." She pointed at Gavin, who just gave a nice little monologue of his own. "This one is with me. His name is Gavin Tylvan."

It was sooo tempting to add his title, but this was not the time, nor the place to wave some fancy title of a place the city was not fond of.

"We know these are troubled times. It would be utter stupidity to travel alone, as his story just confirmed. We've seen bad things together and we want to make sure that those bad things do not happen here, not in the capital town of Dominicus, not in King's Court, not where my family lives."

The last was added with emphasis. The girl could only admire the calmth of Gavin's voice. It was not a calmth she felt, anxious to get inside and get the confrontation over with.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The guardsman looked with irritation toward Gavin as he gave an aside to his female companion as if he weren't there at all. Infact, it was rather rude. He tapped the counter to regain himself as the center of attention, and listened with mounting boredom as Syrawenn gave her reasons for visiting family in these troubled times. She must be sleeping with him... maybe she's missed her cycle and he's come to ask her father for marriage priviledges, he reasoned and glanced at the young woman's midsection as if to confirm the growing suspicion.

A scribe noted their names and scanned a long list aside it. "Not on here," he said and looked up toward the couple, then back to his quill where he gave his best attempt at spelling Syrawenn, though he replaced the Y with an I and had only the sense of putting on a single N. Gavin's name was similarly slaughtered, excepting that it was his surname that provided the interesting spelling. Tivlan, he sounded out mentally. Close enough, anyway. The scribe waved his hand toward the guard to mean that he was done with them.

"Alright, fair enough. Stay out of the harbor, it's been closed," the guard said. He could've added that the palace was similarly shut down, but he didn't see either of these two headed toward the lofty place - the towers of which touched the heavens above. The silouhette of the peaks were easily remembered for a youth of the city - particularly one who spent as much time with her head in the clouds as Syrawenn.

Familiar, too, upon entrance would be the sight of the Basilica Dominici and the smells of the first step onto the Avenue of Trade.

"Next," the guard called out toward any else who sought entry into the capital city, King's Court.

OOC: You're cleared to enter the city! If you need any help for starting your next thread send me a PM.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Having had little experience with letter and writing, Gavin did not even try to peek into the ledger, though the words about then not being in there did draw attention, the steely eyes flicking to the ledger and back again. Every tid-bit of information was absorbed, and once the guard showed that Gavin existed by being frustrated, Gavin showed that he noticed the guard, nodding and glancing towards where the harbor was supposed to be. “Alright, harbor closed. Stay away. Thank you.” Shifting the strap that held the sword upon his back a bit he pushed his way past the table and into the city, trusting that Syrawenn will catch up, silent until they were out of hearing range of the gate.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"You're welcome," he replied gravelly as the pair made their way unhindered into the city, he waved at whoever was next in line who could get a decent view of the previous happenings as well as the couple who entered before them. The line wasn't particularly long yet, but it was helped by the speed with-which the army men passed people into the city.

OOC: Step right up! Don't be shy.
Brogan Gharnost
Civus

Post by Brogan Gharnost »

Vast strides carried them quickly towards the gate. Talis sat on the right shoulder of the behemoth, Brogan. They had been several days on the road from Dragon's Keep, and gradually the skyline of King's Court came into view.

A gate was visible in the distance, and guards too, and Brogan was not particularly keen at the sight of either. People... Lamentable. He thought to himself. A concerned agitation grew in his mind, even more concern than had been welling up in him for the past few days. It's finally time to start, but how do I begin? I assume that getting in would be a good first step. As they approached the gates, in order to draw fewer stares than necessary, Brogan put Talis on the road beside him so that they might finally walk together into the city which has been the focus of their efforts for many days now.

A few paces later Brogan stopped in his tracks. People... This could be bad. Truth is important, and people ought to know it, but am I the one to take it to them? Brogan was visibly troubled, and his countenance grew dark as his massive shoulders sagged beneath his sand coloured cloak. He turned his head in Talis's direction, not looking at her face, but over her head at the gate before them and guards who waited to question and register those who would enter the dominantly Dominican city. He asked her somberly "Do you think we can do it? Change the minds of all these people? Tell them the Truth and have them listen? The Dominicans are just the first who need to hear the message." He shook his head self-reprovingly. "More immediately though, do you think they'll let us in? I will not admit to worshipping a falsehood, I will not admit to worshipping Dominicus."

He shifted his considerable wieght from one foot to the other and removed his long cloak. "Maybe you should go first. I'll try to keep quiet and keep in the background as much as possible."

A nervous gaze settled on the guards. Cities are cramped and uncomfortable, even if we should get in.

Poeple... Yuck.
Last edited by Brogan Gharnost on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Truth that can be known is not Truth.
Talis Fefelli
Civus

Post by Talis Fefelli »

Talis rode on the right shoulder of her new found friend. In the distance she could finally see the destination they had been seeking. King’s Court: Home of the Dominicus lovers.
The gate was visible in the distance along with the guards. She sighed. Her father had told her about the guards in the city. “Cranky men hounding you for answers and you had better give them the correct ones or else”, she could hear in her father’s voice in the back of her mind.
Well, there’s no turning back now, she thought to herself. Brogan set her down and they walked side by side for a bit. He was nervous. She could tell despite his facial features and large size. He stopped in his tracks.

Talis responded to Brogan’s questions. “I truly believe we can change the minds of some. All may not follow, but the truth should be known. Why not us? If no one else is making the effort, then we owe it to the world to spread the word. Perhaps with this new truth, the land will not see as much division or be at risk for severe war. I’m sure we can get in. It is not like I’m very suspicious and you…well, one with my appeal should never travel unprotected and what better body guard than a giant of a man? You will not have to admit to any falsehoods... That will be my job. I can speak for you. If they do still ask you, you do not need to lie about what god you worship…just make sure you let them know that you are not here to cause trouble…Only here as favor to my father.”

Talis picked up her pace in order to go ahead of Brogan’s massive stride. She approached the gate and the guards with confidence and a stern look on her face. She looked them straight in the eye. The guard began to ask questions but before he could finish the first sentence, Talis interrupted ,“ Yeah, yeah, I know the drill.”

I am Talis Fefelli, daughter of Lawerance and Danielle Fefelli; natives to this city. I have come to announce my marriage to the family that remains here in King’s Court. This man behind me is Brogan Gharnost. He is my escort from Dragon’s Keep. I was raised a proper servant of Dominicus by my parents and would be honored to step into this great city.
And I was raised to follow Dominicus. Doesn't mean I still have to, but they don't need to know that. And, it would be a great honor indeed to get in and start our mission.

She gave the guards a sign of peace along with a polite bow and a forced smile.
She thought to herself. Please, let this be as easy as possible.
Last edited by Talis Fefelli on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The guards pointed out Brogan long before he'd reached the point of arrival at the gate. They'd seen him in the distance and watched him carefully. A row of crossbows were lined up with his enormous form while Talis did the talking. They were situated on top of the wall, but visible none-the-less.

For her part, starting with a bit of attitude, Talis instigated the guard's irritation. His eyes narrowed to inspecting slits. He'd just put up with two royal little pains in the arse in the form of the couple who'd proceeded the pair, the backs of whom were still visible to the newcomers (were they looking) in the form of a young woman and a larger well armored man. Syra, too, had suggested that Gavin was her protector, and had also suggested she were a native of the city. This little girl claimed to be visiting a family to marriage.

"What's the name of your betrothed?" The scribe next to the guard asked, scanning a list while waiting for her answer. He'd noted her other information as well.

The guardsman, though quite wanting to instill a bit of fear in the young woman, couldn't help the nervousness that accompanied staring up at a creature almost twice your height and three times your girth. It made him feel very small, and so he contained his ire and sighed. "Your friend there, he Dominican as well? Some manner of slave?" He traversed the half-giant's form with his eyes. "And does he carry any weapons?" Perhaps he's like a well-trained pet... He thought to himself.
Talis Fefelli
Civus

Post by Talis Fefelli »

Startled by the guards question for the name of the man she was “marrying”, she blurted out Jon Barethon, the man she had met so many yahren ago.
That was stupid. How could I have been caught off guard? Though, I would want nothing more than that to be true…

“Brogan is no slave. He is a friend and here as a favor to me and my father. A young maiden should never travel unescorted and Brogan was nice enough to take on the task as personal guard. As for weapons, he carries none, for he has no need for them. I can assure you, he does not desire to stir up trouble on this glorious morning of good news. Brogan seeks enlightenment and I am sure he will find it here within the walls of this great city. Brogan is harmless. So you can have your men lower their weapons.
What a load of cow dung… Seeks enlightenment and I’m sure he will find it here. I hope this oaf buys that answer so we can be on our way.

"Anything else you need to know? I do not wish to keep my family waiting", lied Talis as she gave another forced smile to the guards.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The scribe scanned the list before him. "B..." He nudged the guard at his side and pointed to something on the sheet. "When do you and your betrothed plan to be Handfasted?" It was the typical ceremony for followers of Dominicus. "And at what church?" There were, perhaps, a hundred chapels of varying size within the city - and those were just the ones to Dominicus, never mind the secret temples to other Pagan gods.

On the other hand, the guardsman motioned to his archers in a signal that meant to stand-down, though Brogan just could barely see it. It was swift, but with it the archers turned their attention toward the skyline again - watching the people who were headed into the capital. They were no longer concerned with the half-giant, they had much better things to deal with. The swordsman behind the speaking guard did continue to watch Brogan with some element of alarm, though they didn't voice their fear. That would wait until after the behemoth had left. They wouldn't want to incur his wrath. Atleast, they thought as much. Silly guardsman couldn't comprehend not using such immense size to one's advantage in combat - such was the way of their simple minds.
Brogan Gharnost
Civus

Brogan cautiously approached the guards, and listened in horror as Talis anxiously cut off the guard's questioning and began to reply. The behemoth noticed a row of crossbowmen atop the wall. People... People with weapons... Well, shit. Looks like this whole endeavor could end before it even gets started.

Brogan cursed his height.
It had always been a problem, instigating fear and suspicion. Called a monstrosity, a freak of nature, unnaturally large, excessively huge, ridiculously enormous; he had heard them all in several different tongues, even if he didn't know the words, he knew the meaning. Even since he was young, his tribe elders had expected him to be a source of horrific violence. The expectation continued even to this day, and there was nothing that Brogan could do about it.

He could see it in their eyes, the judgement of his strength and danger. The trepidation with which the guard asked Talis questions about himself set him uneasily on edge, bringing new levels of doubt into his heart.

Your friend there, he Dominican as well? Some manner of slave?

He had anticipated the question about Dominicus, but the slave comment caught him off guard. Yeah, a slave. Hmm. That could work, at least to get in. Brogan watched as the guard eyed him up and asked his last question.

And does he carry any weapons?

Horror stricken, Brogan froze, motionless. No sudden movement lest they think it a threat. They gawk, and stare, and whisper secrets; always it is violence on their breaths and in their minds. The way of the truth is not violence, nor is it a way of hate, yet they suspect me of violence and inwardly hate me. Violence was the very last thing on Brogan's mind.

He remained still while the rest of the conversation took place, noting out of the corner of his eye the crossbowmen lowering their guard after Talis had answered them about her future husband, all the while skillfully avoiding the question of religious alignment. Brogan was impressed. Quite the little word-smithing weasel I have with me. As long as she knows more about this city than I do we should be fine.

The behemoth bent down and got onto his knees, crossed his feet underneath him, and sat on his haunches. The last string of questions seemed formidable, but Brogan had faith in his new friend.

I hope she knows what she is doing. I'll just stay quiet and inobtrusive. He closed his eyes and bent his thoughts on the guard, hoping with as much confidence that he dared that the inquisitive guard would just grant them entrance.

People... I'm glad I have Talis with me.
Last edited by Brogan Gharnost on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Talis Fefelli
Civus

Post by Talis Fefelli »

What’s with all the questions?
Talis’s face began to fluster. It had been a long journey to get here. She was not accustomed to the weather in the area nor was she used to traveling for so long, especially a majority on foot. Patience has never been a virtue she practiced and her bad temper never really helped, either.
With her face flustered she began to lose her composure. Her fake smile broke into a scowl and she looked at the guard in disgust. Anger raging from her green eyes, she began to yell at the guard.

Chatty aren’t we Mr. High and Mighty town guard? I bet you get a real thrill out of your job. I am assuming one who guards the gate can’t do much else than ask questions. Figures I would get stuck with the one nosey guard who needs my life story in order to grant me stupid passage into this damn city. Let me tell you, I am tired from travel and every moment I have to spend looking at your ugly face makes me want to strangle myself with my own bowels until my breath stops and my eyes pop out of my head. Then I wouldn’t be cursed with having to see you another moment. And also...

Talis had lost it: So much for converting the masses. They surely would not let her in after an outburst like this.
A caravan passed by as this was going on. A woman yelling at a guard while archers waited above...surely a rare sight to see. A great story for her to tell as well...if she survives their judgement.
Brogan Gharnost
Civus

No sooner had Brogan closed his eyes and hoped for an easy passage than Talis apparently snapped.

Chatty aren’t we Mr. High and Mighty town guard? I bet you get a real thrill out of your job. I am assuming one who guards the gate can’t do much else than ask questions. Figures I would get stuck with the one nosey guard who needs my life story in order to grant me stupid passage into this damn city.

At this, the behemoth's eyes slowly opened. And continued to open until he was fairly certain that his eyeballs might pop right out of his head. What is she doing? What is she trying to accomplish? We'll never get in at this rate! He raised his gaze from the dust about his knees when Talis began to speak of the "damn city."

Hands on her hips or gesticulating wildly and angrily, Brogan saw the wrath of this woman turned on the form of the guard. He felt somewhat bad for him, but soon realized his own plight as Talis continued to vent her ire:

Let me tell you, I am tired from travel and every moment I have to spend looking at your ugly face makes me want to strangle myself with my own bowels until my breath stops and my eyes pop out of my head. Then I wouldn’t be cursed with having to see you another moment. And also...

Fearful for their safety, the still seated Brogan reach forth with a massive hairy arm, grabbing at the waist of his female companion, and lifting gently and slowly so as to not hurt her. He broke his silence, trying to overpower the voice of the ranting woman, but not to the point of startling the guards too much. He spoke quickly: "Come along now Talis, let us be on our way, we'll send a pigeon to the family of your betrothed." His voice was louder than he anticipated, and his resounding contra-bass, he knew, was not subtle.

He made to stand and leave the gates with Talis in tow. Quickly he glanced around, giving an apologetic look to the guards and a fearful glance at the crossbowmen atop the gates. He saw for the first time a caravan leaving the city. There were many armed men with them from what he could tell, and a wagonload of dignitaries, or owners, or friends, or somthing in the front of the train. He noticed the forms of several of the members, making a mental note of their appearances.

Why was I so happy to have her with me, again? Oh, right, because she's quite diplomatic when she isn't angry, and busy insulting the people we should be appeasing.

People... So... Human.
Last edited by Brogan Gharnost on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

A redheaded stranger wrote:"Talis, we're already leaving, you have no business in there. We just received word that your betrothed is in serious danger! You must come with us now, there isn't a lot of time!" With that, he tugged on her shirt for her to follow quickly before she could be thrown in manacles.

An adhiel approached and spoke the eager words in the direction of Talis while Brogan did his best impression of a hulking rock. The guardsman who was taking care of them looked at the scribe who shrugged in response, then cleared his throat. "Perhaps you should hand this over to the lieutenant?" He whispered, and Kaine nodded. As the guard spoke the scribe jotted something down on a loose piece of parchment.

"Lt Brown," he waved him over. "Since you've started this business, why don't you handle it over there," he suggested to the young man. "You all get out of here, I've people to welcome into the city."

Lieutenant Elijah Brown stepped over, and was handed the sheet of parchment by the scribe. He glanced over it, and then looked at the Roster that Haikan had given him. "Let's get on, then, shall we?" He motioned for Talis and Brogan to follow him over to where a group of carts with white coverings waited for approval to leave the capital city on their trade route.

OOC: If you want to follow continue onto: Terra West Trading Co - Chapter 1 - Jy 31st MT. You're cleared from the Gate Thread! Yay!

The guardsman barked out toward the line. "Next!" He waved his hand. "Come on then, I haven't all day to be waiting around. Step up, step up! I need your name- your entire name. Also, tell me your business here in King's Court. Lastly, I'm going to need to know your religious allegiance- Do you pay respects to our One God, Dominicus?"
Angelique of Siorenn
Pirate

Post by Angelique of Siorenn »

With a little swagger to her step that betrayed she had not yet shaken her sealegs Angel stepped forward, pushing up her floppy brown hat so as to better regard the person before her, before grinning. The hat then came off in one flamboyant movement as she dipped into a bow, showing a nice bit of leather clad leg while she pressed the well worn thing to her chest, the large white plumb feather threatening to tease her nostrils. "That be me, cap'n," she flattered the guardsman who obviously wasn't even an officer, with a hint of mischief in her blue eyes. Her red curls were bound back with a black bow so that they didn't hung before her eyes as she came out of her bow.

Putting the hat back on and straightening the long brown coat, holding on to the revers that were decorated with copper buttons the redhead announced in an accent deliberately thick and foreign "Angelique of Siorenn, that be in Kislovan, if it pleases you, but of late from Roque d'Ancourt. Here on family business. Going to look up me brother." Not a word of untruth in those words, only devoid of certain necessary details.

"The One is the only one for me," she announced chipper at the last question, wondering if there was anybody stupid enough not to lie about their religion. To be a heathen at the capital of the Western Kingdom was a rather swift way to die.

The redhead was rocking to and fro from the heels of her feet to the tips of toes and back again, impatient to get going "Be that all?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Kaine Wilthrope, the guard who had the priviledge of checking Angelique into the city, took in a deep appreciative sigh at her approach. Ahh.. now, this is more like the job I signed up for, he thought to himself as he gave a less-than-subtle traversement of her compact form, managing even to not notice her narrow adhiel features or her well-hidden pointed ears.

He was a thin human and even while sitting one could tell he was of medium height. He was also of medium build. In fact, nearly everything about Sgt Kaine was midling. He wasn't entirely attractive, nor was he an ugly man. His personality was at best described as bland, though none would go so far as to say he was a mean-spirited man nor was he an exuberant or excitable person.

Thus, the boisterous greeting that followed was of great surprise to his fellow scribe, who'd gotten to know Kaine quite well in his time working for the Terra West Army. "Well then, Miss Angelique of Sorren," he managed to slaughter the name into something more appropriate for a human. "Let me be the first to welcome you to the city. You've come to visit your brother you say? What is his name?" Meanwhile, the scribe made fast work of jotting down the information she'd provided before sprinkling a generous amount of pounce over the parchment to quicken the ink's drying.
Angelique of Siorenn
Pirate

"He be Theodred, cap'n" Angel provided helpfully, giving the guard a wide encouraging grin as she noticed his travelling eyes "Though I calls 'im little Theo. He's a good enough lad, but sometimes he gets into mischief." Her accent wasn't always so thick but she thought it did a good enough job of hiding her education and background, making her appear a simple backwater from Roque, down on her luck.

"Now Cap'n, you be very knowledgeable of this here capital, aye? What be the latest around here? News travels slow," she inquired of the suddenly talkative guard, holding out her hand to the scribe to accept the pass that she knew was forth coming. It was hardly her first trip to Kings Court after all, though it had been some time. As her hands let go of her revers, her white shirt was revealed, laces only loosely tied, hinting at nicely rounded, though small orbs underneath.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Theodred, fine name for a young man," Kaine said. Meanwhile, the scribe did a good job of ignoring Angelique's shapely form by concentrating on the pass he was creating which he slid over to her across the short desk without word before his eyes drifted beyond her, wondering who would be waiting in line while the military man did his best to impress this redheaded waif.

"I do know all about this city, m'dear," he responded with a sly smile that spoke even more than the husky, private tone he'd taken on now. "If I weren't working I'd offer to give you a proper tour around, but I'm not off until eveningtide..." he leaned forward, his brown eyes giving Angelique his entire attention, now not bothering with inspecting her form, but rather toward meeting her strong, defiant gaze. "Perhaps I meet up with you later, at the Dragon's Den? New to the city, and all, you could use a good meal I'll bet, a good meal and a good-"

The scribe cleared his throat abruptly and Seargent Kaine's back straightened up as if a rod ran through his spine. "A good drink," he continued with the most charming smile he could manage, though it wasn't entirely winning. "Second mark eveningtide should give you plenty of time to spend with your brother, mmm?"

Inside the city itself, Angelique could hear a town Crier announcing something, his voice cutting through the crowd with authority. "HANGING! HANGING OF A PIRATE AT SINNER'S SQUARE. Come see the justice of the Kingdom! Theo the Menace Pirate meets his fate..." And with it, not too far away, was the din of a crowd easily followed.

OOC: You're cleared to enter the city, but may finish out your converation with Kaine in the mean-time! Welcome to King's Court.
Angelique of Siorenn
Pirate

"Yes Cap'n, suren, eveningtide you say? Dragon's Den? " Angelique nodded as she pocketed her pass, distracted for she suddenly heard the words of the crier. She might need this contact into the guards later, but her attention was already on the news of her brother now revealed. Damn. I can't leave you alone for a flicker.

"See you there then," Angelique called over her shoulder as she started to move into the city at a rapid pace, soon setting to running, while she held her hat in place. Thankfully she knew her way around Kings Court. This was hardly her first visit. I hope I am in time. She took the shortest route to Sinner's Square.

On her way there her eyes scouted for a piece of rope, a horse to steal and any other object that would aid her impromptu rescue. I might not even be in town anymore by eveningtide. Sorry cap'n, Angel thought grimly.

OOC: Fin for me!

Return to “KC Archive”