Facing the Past-Late TT, 31st

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Gaelena

Facing the Past-Late TT, 31st

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena stopped in front of the house that she had grown up in, feeling strangely separate from it. She stared at the door, her hand curled into a fist at her side. Could she simply walk in, as though nothing had happened? Slowly, she inhaled, focusing on calming herself, her energy drawing on the serenity she kept within herself. Finally, she was ready.

Lifting one hand, she knocked and waited.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

There was no real boundary between the upper Inner and lower Patrician’s Ring, even though technically one had to give way to the other somewhere. There houses got better and richer farther up a person went and then at one point the streets were regularly patrolled by impressively looking guard in white tabard and black cloaks, a subtle change from purple tabard that Gaelena might have been used to. Gone was the Purple Guard of old, replaced by the pristinely white Imperial Guard, which stayed confined to the Patrician’s Ring lest they risk another riot like the one that led to Purple’s downfall.

The house was nearly at the boundary of Rings, presenting a solid brick wall to the street, a pair of steps leading to a massive oaken door, with heavy steel hinges set into the stone arch that looked like it was made out of a single piece of rock. A snarling hound held a heavy ring in its jaws and entire door rang when Baroness swung the knocker. It was less than half a burn later that the door swung inward noiselessly, a thin-pale man that loomed over her by almost two feet, his voice deep and rich. “Good day, miss. How may I help you?” He was not anyone she was familiar with, and the hallway behind him was empty, though a familiar voice drifted from the open door in the back, voice of one Figaro Denaro, or one eerily similar to it.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena took note of the changes in the Citadel that had occurred during her time away. Imperial Guards in the Patrician Circle, visible. Her brows knit as she wondered at the implication. Were the streets that unsafe? And if so, how many were injured in whatever danger lay out here?

Those questions dissolved and were replaced by new ones when the hulking stranger opened her childhood home's door. "I am here to see my mother, Renata Figaro. My father wrote and said she was ill," she answered, staring up at the man.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

A look of confusion passed over the giant’s face and then he gasped, covering his mouth with a rather lady-like gesture. “Oh, you must be young Gaelena. Please come in.” He moved aside, allowing her to enter, closing the heavy door behind. The air inside was chill, the difference quite noticeable as the newly made Baroness stepped from the bright and sunny mid-day. “I am sorry I did not recognize you, miss. My name is Niles. Master Denaro hired me to look after the house when your mother’s illness made it too difficult for her to keep things in order. Please, step this way. I will let your father know you are here.” He moved down the hallway, moving towards the half-open door at the end of the hall, from which the voice of Figaro was still coming, though actual words were hard to distinguish.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

That her mother wasn't able to take care of the household worried Gaelena, as Renata had always been very particular about everything. Turning over the running of the household must mean that she was terribly ill, the baroness healer decided. She tried to decide if the cool air in the house was helping or hurting, but until she saw the patient, she wouldn't know.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Niles," she replied, almost not following him, unsure if she was ready for a run in with Figaro. She could hear him down the hall and figured it was probably better to get the argument over with quickly, like peeling a bandage from a wound. Quick was always best. "Alright, lead the way," she finally said, following him down the hall. "So, how long have you been here?"

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Niles did not stop, merely turning to reply and then pausing, his brows furrowing for a flicker. “Nearly a month now. Three and a half weeks or so. I have been helping Mrs Denaro from time to time before that, but I moved in three and a half weeks ago.” He stopped and turned fully now, looking into Gaelena’s eyes. “She is alright now, just weak. We just don’t know when she will recover. And you know how she wants to do everything by herself, and right now that is not very wise.” He stopped suddenly and glanced at the door from which Figaro’s voice came still. “But, it is best if Master Denaro tells you that. He is with the accountant, but he said you were to be brought to him immediately when you arrive.” Niles turned and flickers later they were at the door, and stepping through, the familiar figure of Figaro seated before a table, his hair white at the temples, though the top was still as black as ever, just a few greys hidden there. Opposite him sat a young man in his late twenties, dressed impeccably in a prim black suit, his forearms covered in dark blue cloth ties bellow his elbow and at the wrist, protecting the suit from the ink. Figaro turned in irritation and then smiled, rising and possibly quite unexpectedly coming to Gaelena’s side and trying to hug her. “Lena, my dear. You are home.”
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena wanted to pump Niles for more information about her mother's illness. What symptoms occurred before its onset, if there was a fever, shakes , pains and such, what was given to help heal her, and such. But she didn't, instead opting to find out directly from her mother. The patient was the one most in tune with what was wrong with their body. "I'm glad you were here to help," she replied honestly.

Stepping through the door, she spotted her father and barely kept the frown from her lips. She forced a smile, though nearly jumped when Figaro came over to hug her. "Father. I'm sorry for interrupting," she said evenly, though she made no move to return the hug.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Niles had time to smile before Gaelena was swept into her father’s arms and treated like a favorite daughter, even though she never was that. Appearances had to be kept, and Figaro knew all about appearances and keeping them for yahren. He drew back and smiled, pretending like nothing in the world was amiss, even though a quick flash of urgency flashed over his eyes. “Nonsense my dear. You are not interrupting. We were just about done here.” He stepped back a bit more and turned to the young man who looked up without a hint of interest in his eyes. “This is Davide Cantatti, my accountant. Davide this is my daughter Gaelena. Remember I told you she was coming back.” Davide smiled coldly and rose to bow stiffly, before glancing at Figaro. “I can come back later if you wish. What you told me should be enough for now.”
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

The flash of urgency and the quickly spoken words had Gaelena's suspicions rising, but she said nothing, merely smiling and bobbing her head at Davide. "A pleasure to meet you," she said, ever the proper daughter. While warmth had never infused their household, proper manners had.

The coldness with which Davide regarded her puzzled the red-headed baroness. She couldn't remember the last time a man had looked at her without interest. Maybe he preferred men. She wasn't one to judge, but still, his attitude towards her had her feeling a bit irritated and added to her father's unusual behavior made her want to escape all the more. "Why don't I leave you gentlemen to finish up while I go look in on Mother?," she offered.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Davide was already gathering his papers, when Gaelena’s offer came, making him pause mid-motion and look at Figaro. Lena’s father seemed to be torn for a flicker and then smiled with false warmth at his daughter before nodding. “Of course, my dear. Niles will show you to her room, and you can come down here when you are done and we will do some catching up. Much has happened since you left us and…. Well, we will talk more later.” Davide was already putting his papers down, rearranging them meticulously on the table, even going so far as to smooth a crease in the tablecloth so his accounts would sit better upon it. Figaro moved to join him, while Niles made his way to the door and held it open for the red-head daughter of his employer.

He led the way round the corner in the hallway and up a set of old wooden stairs that creaked slightly under their weight, doubling back before coming to the end of the hallway a single window before them looking over the street bellow. He opened the door to the left, a faint stench of sour sweat and sickness spreading from the well lit and tidy room, a large bed dominating over all else. A high backed leather chair was set next to the bed and a matching sofa rested against left hand wall, with a nice oaken wardrobe, decorated with leaves carved upon the far wall to the right. The bed was turned towards the door, and upon its soft and thick mattress lay a woman that may once have been Gaelena’s mother. Her face was sunken and her skin shined slightly, as if moist, a hand resting over the covers looking frail and deathly thin. She was asleep as they entered, shifting with a soft moan at the sounds, but no waking up.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

As if she wanted to 'catch up' with the man, unless it was to tell her he had changed his ways and let all those poor women go. Gaelena didn't voice these thought, instead nodding to Davide and then her father. "Of course. I shall be down in about a mark," she said, giving the vague time frame so that if her mother needed more care, she could give it and if she needed less, then she could slip back out the door after stopping in her old room to gather some of her things.

She followed the servant up the back stairs and to the sickroom. Upon looking in, she noted the sallow coloring and the dark circles, combined with what might be a lingering fever still burning in the woman. "Niles, open a window if you can," she said, rolling up her sleeves, "and find me some clean, hot water so that I can wash my hands. A second bowl of warm water as well, if you please, that I can use to wash Mother. When was the last time she was out of bed?" Her questions where thrown to him, even as she moved, checking the sick woman's pulse, feeling her forehead for fever. She reached into her bag and drew out a funnel, which she placed over her mother's chest to listen to her heartbeat and breathing, checking for sounds of water in her lungs or an irregular heartbeat.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Even before Galena and Niles were gone, the two men were busy pouring over accounts, though what exactly those concerned was anybody’s guess. The servant stood silently as Gaelena rushed into the room, though he sprang to action at her commands, doing exactly as she told. The window was opened, letting the fresh air in, the slight wind bringing with it the salty scent of the sea, and unfortunately the slight stench of fish as well. “Yes, madam, I shall be right back.”

He left the room and was back less than half a burn later, the splashing water in the bowl he carried, testified that he indeed hurried up the steps, a small wet stain covering the man’s left knee. “I’ll bring the small bath up in a burn, madam. And I washed her two days ago. She refuses and complains and so it is usually a week or more between baths. I understand that she feels uneasy, but we tried having a woman do it, and it was worse. She resisted and fell down and bruised her hip badly.” He placed the bowl on a small bed side table and drew a chunk of soap from his pocket, leaving it along with a towel next to the bowl and went out again, leaving the girl with her sick mother.

Renata was pale and her skin cold to the touch, clammy with stale sweat, her heartbeat regular if weak. She stirred and moaned at Lena’s touch, feebly turning her head away and trying to free her arm, having almost no strength in her limbs. Older woman’s breathing was ragged, and slightly raspy and there was a soft, almost unnoticeable bubbling sound at the end of each exhale. She moaned again and mumbled softly, even as Niles moaned in the hallway obviously struggling to move something heavy. “Leave me….. Sleepy… So tired…… Too tired to…. Breathe…..”
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena was a bit curious as to the goings on between her father and his accountant. In her childhood, she didn't remember there ever being a time when he had acted nervous or lied around the others. Why now? It seemed rather strange, but she couldn't focus on it now as she needed to see to her mother.

The tang of fish was slightly better than the heavy weight of illness that had filled the room. She listened as Niles listed the issues he had found with mother, nodding slightly as she put them down on a mental checkboard, knowing that even the slightest comment might help in diagnosis. When he returned with the smaller bowl, she rolled up her sleeve and quickly tied off her hair in an impromptu ponytail. Then, she scrubbed both hands and forearms, rinsing them and drying them on a clean towel.

She frowned as she listened to Renata's breathing and the woman's mumbled words. The feel of her skin had her brows knitting together. The bubbles at the end of every breathe had her eyes narrowing as she took in the full sight and focused on the specific. "Mother, I am going to need you to try and sit up a bit. That might help relieve the pressure in your chest. Also, I'm going to give you a salve that may relieve some of the congestion in your chest. I warn you, the smell is not the most pleasant, but it should break up some of the blockage in your lungs." Once Niles was back in the room, she had him place the tub next to the bed and then move to help her raise her mother, after sending him to gather extra pillows, to prop up the invalid and help keep her upright.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Groggily, Renata opened her eyes, her gaze taking a few flickers to focus, constant jostling while Gaelena moved her making even such a simple task take time. It was only after her daughter busied herself with the tub that she recognized her and with a weak, sleepy smile whispered. “Lena, is that you? Figaro told me you were coming.” She glanced about the room and sighed deeply, before a single tear rolled down her cheek. “I am sorry….. my darling…… I wish…..” She sighed again and fell silent for a few flickers, trying to catch her breath, rasp at the end of each breath becoming noticeable due to the effort.

Niles returned soon, casting a worried glance at his master’s daughter, before putting the pillows on the bed and moving to arrange them under and behind Renata, evading her half-hearted swats with endless patience, and gently maneuvering the ill woman into a sitting position. “Will there be anything else, miss?” He queried, willing to stay, but knowing how Renata hated a man present during her bath. “Go away…. Niles.”
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena brushed a few stray hairs out of her mother's face before speaking softly, "Ssshhh, Mother, there's no need to fret. I'm here now and I shall take care of you. My turn." There was a small smile on her lips, a softness in her eyes as she remembered the times her mother had sat by her side when she was sick as a child. Doing as her mother had yahren before, she leaned down and pressed her lips to the older woman's forehead, testing her temperature.

When Niles came back in, she noticed the irritation Renata had with the man. His question had her nodding. "Yes, there is. I need you to make a tisane of a small spoonful each of cayenne pepper, ginger, vinegar, and honey boiled in a large pot of water. After it has boiled for half a mark, bring me a cup of it and keep it on the simmer." Ginger had a natural use as an anti-inflammatory, which would help ease the constriction in Renata's chest. The pepper would warm the throat and open her airways, easing some of the irritations. The vinegar would suppress the cough while honey would coat the throat, making breathing easier. The water just made it drinkable. The taste would be terrible, but the chest congestion should ease almost immediately.

Once the servant was away, she took a clean cloth and, after dipping it in the tub of water, slowly began to bathe the woman who had raised her. "I'm sorry I was away so long. If I had known you were sick, I would have come back," she apologized. "But I do have some glad tidings. After assisting with a small incident in Dort," as though offering herself as a sacrifice and allowing her body to be used by a god was small, "I gained the title of Baroness and some lands near the Abbey that the brothers and sisters are using to help grow medicinal herbs."

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was easy to shush Renata, the old woman lacking the energy to speak and thus giving up easily in most arguments. She did look a bit better, as the fact that her daughter was back registered more clearly on her mind. A shadow of a smile did its best to curl her lips upward, sighs and rasps pushing it away, but the smile kept reemerging with stubborn persistence. Her forehead was cold rather than hot as if she had the chills, the kiss followed by a week caress of older woman’s hand against Gaelena’s thigh.

Niles was all too glad to leave things in Lena’s hands, nodding and murmuring to himself as he memorized the ingredients and rushed down to do as he was bid, giving the pair half a mark of time unless called upon. Renata relaxed in her daughter’s calm and gentle hands and did not fight her attempts to wash her, even doing her best to make the task easier, as her weakness permitted. She listened, but words took a while to register on her mind, the news causing her to gasp after a few flickers and then break into a coughing fit. “Bar-bar-baroness?” She instinctively brought a handkerchief to her lips as she broke into laughter and several bloody stains were visible upon it.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

The caress of her mother's hand and the easy way she quieted down worried the red haired healer even more, though Gaelena didn't allow the frown in her eyes to reach her lips. She continued her careful ministrations, using all her training to pick up on the most subtle of clues. There was no fever, but the bloody productive cough, the pallor of her once olive skin, the weight loss, the ease of becoming fatigued...all signs of consumption.

"I know. Of all your children, I would be the last one that anyone would have ever thought of as a titled lady. Or even as a lady," she said, trying to distract her mother. "Though, for the few days I was one, you wouldn't have known it. Digging in the dirt with the rest of the brothers and sisters at the Abbey, planting herbs and other necessary items. These are not the hands of a noble," she said, holding up for a moment her long, slim fingers; nimble digits that could sew up a wound or set a bone or perform minor operations. She worked hard to keep them clean, but the constant washing required of her hands showed.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Had she been less tired and less exhausted Renata might have found the past tense in which Gaelena referred to her title a bit odd and perhaps disconcerting, but as it were the ailing woman was smiling, happy to hear of her daughter’s success, the handkerchief laying in her lap forgotten as she asked more, despite her weak state. “How-how did it happen? Wha-what did you do to become a bar-baroness?” Renata’s breath was becoming shorter and she was slumping backwards, even the short conversation and bath sapping all the strength from the woman. “I am so happy for you, my dear. You deserve it. Always so good.” She opened her eyes half-way the lids heavy fro exertion and smiled. “I am happy you are back. Wish I was better, but I am so glad to see you.” Whispering as she was now, Renata seemed to strain her throat less, and she wheezed less now. Niles appeared, silent as a ghost and left a mug of the tisane the healer ordered on the bedside table, standing out of Renata’s field of vision to see if he was needed before departing as quietly as he came in.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena had her mother take a sip of the ghastly concoction before laying her back, soothing her brow and telling her story. She motioned for Niles to stay, as there were some things she wanted to ask him before heading down to face her father.

"Well, after many moves, I ended up on Dort, at the Abbey. There, I was able to concentrate on my studies of medicine. Such an extensive knowledge they have...," she mused as she slowly began to concentrate, using her words to distract her mother as she tried to call upon The Mother to help ease some of the pain Renata was feeling. "While there, the Abbot was approached by two warriors, Gavin and Syrawenn, who had come because some malicious spirit, known as the Storm Lord, was attacking the island, set to ruin it. I walked the Thorn maze and spoke with one of the ancients who had first put away the spirit. She told me what to do." She rubbed her hand over the marking on her body where the dagger had plunged in, severing her life to give the Mother access to her body to defeat the Storm Lord. "So, I went with the warriors out to the rock and along with another neophyte of his god, we were able to lock him away again. The Duke was so pleased with us he gave each of us a title and land. It was soon after that I heard of your illness and hurried home."

She laid Renata back against her pillows and smiled softly down at the ill woman. "Now you know the story. And with that, its time for you to get some rest. I shall be up in a few burns to check on you. I'm staying until you're better. And don't think you can fake being ill just to keep me here, Mother," she said with a small chuckle, remembering a time or two she had tried the same trick. Leaning down, she placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Exhausted, Renata barely managed to stay awake through the tale, her coughing fits subsiding as Gaelena spoke, though whether the sick woman felt the calming hand of the Mother the same way the healer did was not obvious. The scar where the stone dagger pierced the woman’s skin was still there, and would likely remain, but it did not hurt, the touch of her fingers causing a soothing warmth to spread through Lena’s body. She was nearly asleep when her hand emerged from under the covers and with surprising strength for someone in her state pulled Gaelena down into a hug, a single tear wetting the girls cheek, as Renata whispered into her ear. “My daughter teling me a beautiful tale and tucking me in. Oh, happy......happy day.” With a gentle kiss on her cheek, the old woman relaxed and within flickers drifted off into restful sleep, a smile on her lips.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena smoothed back the blanket around her mother and sent up a small prayer to her deity, asking for some way to help the woman who had given her life. She paused, before rising from the bed, to brush back a tendril of black hair from her mother's brow and softly laid a kiss there.

Finally, she motioned with her head for Niles to join her in the hall. Once the door was closed, she turned to him and said with a sigh, "It looks like I shall be staying for a while. Can you have a room nearby made up for me? Also, I'm going to need access to fresh herbs. Does the garden still grow them or shall I need to go to market?" She was already counting the coins in her head, to know what she could afford and what she could afford not to buy on first visit.

"And I suppose I shall need to talk to my father now," she said.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Peaceful. That was the word that most people would use to describe the look on Renata’s face as she sank deeper into the sleep, not even shifting at her daughter’s kiss. Niles held the door open for the young woman and closed it without the sound behind them, a soft smile at his lips, as he glanced at it. “That is the most relaxed and calm I have seen her in weeks, miss.” Then came the request to which he merely nodded. “I shall make the room next door ready for you. If you leave your things with me I will have everything ready by the dinner, or a bit sooner if you wish to move in yourself.”

There was a brief hesitation as she mentioned the herbs, Niles seemingly uncertain whether he should speak up or remain quiet about something, then a flicker later he leaned closer and whispered. “Milady, if you do not mind me being so bold, but I think you can get the herbs in a much better place, now that you are a Baroness. You will have free passage into the Citadel and I hear the garden there is one of the richest in the world. Surely they will not mind giving you a few leaves here or there if you explain why you need them.” He stopped and then added, with his back straight. “I’ll go see if Master Denaro is free and perhaps prepare some tea and bring out the cookies, if you wish?”
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena handed over her pack to Niles as he stated he would ready her room. "By dinner will be fine. I will need to get reoriented with everything and that will give me some time," she replied with a smile, though it didn't fully reach her eyes. She didn't want to get too comfortable. She had grown rather used to being able to pick up and wander where the Mother guided her.

The look on Niles' face and his words had her narrowing her eyes, examining him for a few flickers. "Niles, what has happened here? My father used to be a very prosperous merchant and imported the finest of herbs and had many servants. Now, its down you just you, no offense, and you're telling me to seek herbs elsewhere. Did something happen, besides my mother's illness, while I was gone? Please, speak freely to me," she said, wondering at the change in her home.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Somehow the servant managed to both hold the woman’s pack and stand straight and almost at attention, nodding at her words. “Any special requests? Like non-feather pillows or the like?” He looked deathly serious as he asked that, the man obviously experienced in what he did. Agin he hesitated at her questions, before seemingly coming to a decision. “I would not know, miss. When I was hired it was just your father and your mother here. No other servants. But……” He paused, as if doubting his own decision to tell more and after a flicker and a glance down the hallway leaned closer. “I heard rumors. About part of your father’s business vanishing in the riots last year. Not that it is any of my business, but I do believe your father is doing well in his business, but I really know little of it. He might still be in the herb trading, but if you seek healing herbs I think the Citadel garden is still the best place to go. Or you can ask your father to supply you with what you need.” He glanced at the door to Renata’s room and smiled softly. “He will not think a flicker if it is for his lady wife.”
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena shook her head. "I have been living in an abbey for several months. I'm used to the bare essentials," she reminded Niles, forgetting that it had been less than a yahren since she had lived in much more opulent surroundings. "But thank you."

His next words had the frown returning to her lips, though it wasn't directed at him. She tried to remember if she knew about the riots. And his words on her father's business vanishing. Those poor creatures in the west wing, perhaps? It would serve him right. But the other things, the silk and the spices, how could those disappear? That confused her, though she opted not to dwell on it. "No, I'll not ask him for anything. Besides, the Gardens would have a fresh supply and more variety. I shall be able to find just what I need there," she replied, instead.

Straightening her own shoulders, like a prisoner being sent to the gallows with her head held high, Gaelena nodded. "Alright, I am ready to speak privately with my father," she said, her expression not one of daughterly joy at such a meeting.

Return to “Patrician & Citadel Ring”