In need of half a drunkard - Nether's Gate, Jyg 30 TT

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Craghley

In need of half a drunkard - Nether's Gate, Jyg 30 TT

Post by Craghley »

General Draydis had returned. One of the Mother's holiest warriors was here again and Craghley could stop being a poor leader and become again the right hand man to this great soldier. The Emerald Guard now felt like it once had. And their chances against Laewin were now looking much, much better.
Craghley stepped out of the Annuir tavern onto the front porch. He offered a nod in Seth's direction before turning to Trajan.

"Told ye I would no be long. Aye, sir Aeneas, we are truly blessed - ye hae a new ally and I an auld friend returned to us."
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

(OOC: are you waiting for Trajan here or do you wnat to push on to the tavern?)
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: Trajan and Draydis, now that the prior thread seems fin. Probably should send them a PM... >.<
Last edited by Craghley on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

A moment later, Draydis walked out to meet the others. He still wore his robe with the hood covering his face completely. A well-used but high quality bow hung over his shoulder, and a very deadly looking bladed staff was held in his hands. Clearly, these were weapons of a trained warrior.

"My friend Craghley has told me that the hunting might be good in these parts."
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Trajan Constantine Aeneas
Civus

Post by Trajan Constantine Aeneas »

Trajan heard Craghley before he saw him, for the former legionnaire had been deep in thought when the achadheil man had re-emerged from the Annuir tavern. And he continued to stare out into the street as flickers passed while he rolled the Islay clansman’s words around in his mind. He considered each part of the fellow’s statement, and composed a reply, ordering his thoughts as best he could in what he felt was a timely pause before he began to speak, never taking his eyes off the street.

“You may have an old friend returned,” he began, darting a furtive glance at the smaller man as he spoke. “but I don’t know him from Dominicus, whom I can no longer claim to have knowledge of at all, so his status as ally is still up for debate. Meaning no offense to you of course, but I need to know that he like you and I is in this thing to see it ended, not to make a show.” Trajan pushed off the railing he had been leaning on till that point and tried to meet the Islayer’s gaze. “As for blessed, I don’t put much stock in the gods any more, so I reserve judgment on that charge too. If I survive this night, I’ll consider myself incredibly fortunate, but it would take nothing less than the direct hand of deity for me to consider myself blessed ever again.” It was at this point that a stranger exited the Annuir and approached the human and achadheil pair. He carried a staff with a wicked looking blade attached at one end, and a bow was slung with casual familiarity over his shoulder. Strangely, he also wore a long robe and a deep hood, very nearly a cowl which covered him completely from crown to sole.

“Strange.” Trajan thought to himself as he took the new comer in. “He moves like he aught to be a soldier but dresses like the most conservative monk.” He considered the figure intently. “I wonder what he’s hiding.” Even as those thoughts were going through his mind, he was replying to the stranger’s odd greeting.

“The … hunting,” Trajan replied, his tone slow and betraying his discomfort even as his mind flashing back those months to his and Ulder’s ill fated hunt for the Grey Cloaks. “is unique.” He finished finally, his eyes trying to get into the newcomers cowl to meet his gaze. “Be Craghley and I are not to be hunters this night,” he continued, “we are to be executioners, or the executed. We are not playing at any game but are making a play for the future of Pax and possibly the entirety of this kingdom.” He paused a moment before extending a hand to the fellow. “But I’m ahead of myself. My name is Trajan Aeneas, what’s yours? And what’s your interest here? Other than I assume the pleasure of Craghleys fine company?”
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis extended a hand in resopnse. The man had a lot of questions, which was probably to be expected considering Dray's appearance.

"I am Draydis Quinn D'Anorre. As for my interest in the hunt tonight, I am the Commander of the Emerald Guard of Taquar and a Champion of the Mother Crone. She has given me warning of a wolf that hunts this night."

Dray did not think he needed to speak at this time of the full extent of his mission, as he did not know fully if he could trust this Trajan yet.

"When I hunt, it is no game. I serve the Mother as Her hunter, and take my duty very seriously." His tone was even and confident. Draydis knew that though the Mother's presence here was impeded by something, She would be there to offer Her blessings to those that stood against the wolf.

As Trajan peered into the cowl, he thought for a moment that he saw a flash of yellow, but wasn't for sure. It lasted only for a flicker of a moment when Dray spoke of the Mother.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"Master D`Anorre is my laird, and as ye can see speaks his own words. If ye trust me then ye can trust him, and I make an accurate assumption when I say we cannae dissuade him from the hunt... or execution... tonicht. He is duty bound in this, as am I... as are you."

"And ye can speak fer yerself and whatever abandonment Dominicus has reaped on his children, but we of the Gaird are blessed for the Mother has ne'er left our side even in this place. Now, I'd rather not develop a theological argument when work has tae be done. We must be off tae the Nether's Gate - aye, and Baltimus. I trust ye, Trajan, and if ye can trust us both then we might all live tonicht. We might stop Laewin an' Falven afore they hurt anyone else. They and the gods alone ken fer wha reason she returns this evening."

Craghley looked expectantly at the other two - if Trajan still had matters to resolve here, so be it, and Craghley did not want to push the man along forcibly. Forcing decisions for him would only hurt this alliance and they could not afford that - Craghley just hoped they all understood the importance of speed.

"It strikes me that we'll also need tae fecht together. If we can, I suggest we develop a plan fer this evening once we've learned wha we need tae, how we'll work together."
Civus

Trajan had heard about the Emerald Guard. Their internal strife had been well documented since their arrival in Pax Balthasar those long months ago. Thrandil had been an Emerald Guardsman. And Ulder had brought them here, what was his relation with them? That however was not the point right now. While the brief flash of gold from the swaddled man’s cowl had been intriguing if unsettling, Draydis had spoken well for himself, and with Craghley adding his support and inducement it was nigh impossible for Trajan to do anything.

In Craghley he had found a kindred, if only in that the Islayer had, like himself, seen and been influenced by Laewin and her pet Falven. And the man had sworn to join him in the hunt for and extermination of the foul spirit. Now Draydis said that he would either join their endeavor or undertake one of his own. Which was wholly unacceptable. So it seemed that Trajan did in fact have another, albeit enigmatic ally in his fight. He gripped the other mans hand firmly and shook it once before releasing it.

“You are right of course Craghley. Let us make all haste to Baltimus. He has knowledge we desperately need. And you are also right in that we should set aside some time to train together before we face Laewin in mortal combat, it would help for each of us to have some idea of how the other moves so someone doesn’t get skewered.” He gave the achadheil a warm clap on the shoulder. “You are just full of wisdom.” Trajan said. “Lead the way to the Halfling,” he gestured vaguely, “though if rumor is true we might any of us find him by following the beer.” The jest was weak, but Trajan didn’t have very much practical experience with humor. He realized that however, and once he had chanced his joke the humor slid from his face like water sheeting off glass.

“As for Laewin, I know why she is coming.” He said darkly, his hand straying to the hilt of the longsword strapped to his back. "She comes for me, and this sword, and if she wants it I'll give it to her, right through her heart." Trajans expression hardned as he spoke, and the light of humor and comradly good fellowship faded completely, being replaced by a slow, smouldering... something which no one, not even he could have defined. Trajan was committed, for good or ill, in a way such as he hadn't been since Dominicus had forsaken him.

"Please," he added, quietly, almost as an after thought, "tell me about the Mother."
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis walked alongside Trajan in silence. It was not that he was disinterested, but more was content listening for now and learning more about his new ally.

When asked about the Mother, Dray smiled. The question was worded such that a myriad of answers could have been given. In the commander's heart though, he knew exactly the perfect answer.

"The Mother..." Dray put his hand on the other's shoulder as they walked...

Mother, I know you are troubled by things here, and I know your focus is on that. Here is a lost soul that seeks answers...that needs truth. He has asked me to tell about You. I can tell many fantastic stories about how you have saved my life and granted me the ability to help others, but I know him feeling your touch personally would outweigh thousands of my words. Please, let him know You though my touch. Let him experience Your presence. I do not yet know the source of troubles in these lands, but this man is willing to help with ending one problem. Perhaps his thirst for faith may bring him into your fold and give you one more strong and faithful warrior to help end what else is wrong in these lands.

During his prayer, Dray remained silent. His hand continued to hold on to Trajan's shoulder...

The commander's thoughts then turned to all the situations where the Mother had shown her power and love for her followers. It was a mix of the fury of her power such as when the Avatar had destroyed a building in King's Court, and the warm care of her power when Dray had been able to heal the youth of Pax when they were injured. He then attempted to channel these thoughts through his hand and into Trajan along with any blessings that the Mother deemed suitable...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley's knew the Gate well, and the paths to it. He took the three of them by the quickest route he knew, be it by main road or down between the sides of houses and other structures.

"Aye, the Mother. Well, I cannae tell ye all about her. Draydis would ken more than I. But where I grew up, in the Islay highlands, we mainly worship the Mother as- well, ye might say a fertility or nature goddess. We look tae her tae make the crops grow and beasts stay healthy, but it's more 'an that. It's also 'bout kenning human nature, and human's place in nature. Learning there's more tae life than wha we want, that we need things like death tae make way fer life and how fragile we rest on a balance with the land and its' provisions. It makes questions o 'guid' an 'evil' hard tae answer at times... eh..." Craghley scratched his head, the train of thought pulling away from him. He was oblivious to Draydis' intentions - it was clear Trajan had misgivings towards any religion, yet perhaps he still hoped there was one which could offer... what? Redemption? No, he would not have anything to redeem himself for, surely. Maybe he wanted a greater power he knew he could place his faith in. The knowledge of relief. Had he known Draydis was attempting Craghley would dissuade the Adhiel for fear that such an invasive manoeuvre would break the trust he had in them.

"As fer wha I ken, pers'nally? She looks after her children, as long as they look after themselves and each other. I hae wha I need - a guid cause I understand, and the blessings tae perform it. No everyone is suited fer it, but that's true of all religions I guess. But like I said, I've risked my life fer the Mother several times, an each time it's been Her wha's brought me back. And She wishes tae help this land an it's people. That's more than enou' fer me."
Guido Cercatoro

Dray silently intoned his prayer as he let his hand fall on Trajan’s shoulder. Almost immediately, the adhiel felt the comforting presence of the Mother. She had been distant since he had come to Pax, yet now he felt the urgency and love of her presence. He felt her words echo inside his head.

This warrior has a task to perform ....you must aid him. Yet, he is of the One and must serve his God until the outcome is determined....until he wields the sword...only then may you seek to bring him to me...if he lives...

Trajan
felt Dray’s friendly hand on his shoulder but nothing of the warmth of the Mother reached him as he listened to Craghley’s words.

It was only a short distance to the gate tavern. As the companions approached, they could not fail to notice that the portal and Provost Office were guarded by an unusually large number of guards. Outside the Gate tavern, a small group of young and rather drunken adhiel’s were shouting abuse over at the guards.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray understood the Mother's words to him. For the first time in months, he felt like he was pursuing the right course.

He decided to continue with the words of his own.

"...the Mother is life. She touches everything from the first breath a creature takes until its final sign of life. When the time is right, I will be better able to answer your question."

It then hit Draydis what the Mother's words to him really meant. There was something special about Trajan...the Mother had a purpose for him.

With that, the commander fell silent once again and ended his contact with the other. He knew what he had to do, and stopped walking for a moment.

Dray looked at the blade the warrior carried. He did not know Trajan from anybody else, but now knew that Trajan would be directly involved with the fight against the wolf, and knew they could not be successful without him.

"For now, however, we must focus on the fight we will have tonight. I know it does not probably mean much to you, Trajan, but I pledge that I will defend your life with my own should it come to that. My sole duty is to ensure that you survive this night. The blade you carry is critical to our success, and only you can wield it."

His words were not hollow; it was clear that he truly meant what he said. Dray felt that the Mother had charged him with the protection of Trajan, and he intended to do his duty.

DMD Member since 2005
Civus

As the motley trio wended their way through Pax Balthasar, they doubtlessly garnered their share of looks and probably a few double takes as well if any one managed to hear the conversation they were having. Trajan suspected however that between their collective postures, never to mention respective armaments, neither the summer festival fever which was on the town, and the groups rapidity relative to everyone else, that they were likely and effectively discouraging any eavesdropping.

Between them, Craghley and Draydis made eloquent, persuasive points in response to his overly general question. Craghley in particular surprised him, though Dradis presumptiveness and innocent faith in laying a hand, however well intentioned, on Trajans shoulder wasn’t exactly anticipated either. As the group passed the Portal and adjacent Provost Office, Trajan at least noticed the unusually heavy Legion presence but couldn’t spare much time or mind to it for Draydis surprised him further with what he said next.

“I know it does not probably mean much to you, Trajan, but I pledge that I will defend your life with my own should it come to that. My sole duty is to ensure that you survive this night, the blade you carry is critical to our success, and only you can wield it.”

When the man fell silent, Trajan turned to look for him, only to discover him gone. Immediately he stopped and looked around, finding the increasingly strange newcomer a few paces back, as if he had stopped walking before he began talking. Trajan once again assessed what he could of the man from sight, which was really not too much at all, given that the fellow was still enveloped in expansive folds of cloth.

“I know not,” he began by way of reply when at last, almost a full flicker after stopping he managed one, “what sort of man you take me for. I know that you do not know me, but what sort of man would I be if a promise such as the one you have just made did not mean a very great deal to me?” Trajan held up a forestalling hand as a precautionary measure, he couldn’t read the fellows expression to tell if he intended to interrupt or not, but he wanted to finish what he had begun to say.

“That being said, I cannot see, personally where I am worth near so much as to have you or any other declare themselves for me in such irrevocable language as that, but I shall endeavor to do my best to be worthy of your grand gesture. Further,” he concluded, one hand straying to the hilt of the sword which rode his back, and apparently proclaimed him something special to those who knew what to look for. “as for this sword? For now it is just a sword, we need our friend the drunken halfling to make it anything other, and if in that process the sword and I become linked then so be it, otherwise tis just a sword, a special sword I’ll grant, but not one that I have sole dominion over.” He then gestured expansively, “That being said, shall we continue?”
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

With a wary eye on the riffraff, Craghley strode on until he noticed first Draydis, then Trajans' voices fall behind. Looking back he saw both had stopped. Casting another calculating look at the guards and drunks, he returned to Trajans' side. Listening to them speak was enough for Craghley to join Draydis' vow in his heart, and advance a little understanding of what Blackbird saw in the ex-Legionnaire to choose him as the one to fight Laewin.

"Trajan, some remnant of this land has seen in ye the key tae killing this dark thing. It is the first step of healing Pax, which Draydis, myself, the Emerald Gaird and many others hae pledged themselves to. We would not hesitate tae trade our lives for those of the guid folk of Pax, as the Gaird - and the Pax Honestus, in fact - hae shown on the Day of Darkness, let alone the life of ane who shall in turn save the lives of many. We expect only that ye rise to the task."

"Aye, let's gae on. Just keep yer heid doon, these thugs want trouble an anything we dae might just gi' it tae them. Long as those gairds donnae rise tae et, things should calm doon."
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray simply nodded. "A sword is never just a sword, just as a man is never just a man. With faith, honor, justice, and humility, any man can become a hero and any weapon can become a legend."

His vow had been given seriously, and he would carry through with his word if need be.

The commander did not speak another word as they moved along. He walked to the side and slightly behind Trajan...keeping his eyes and ears sharp for any signs of trouble.

DMD Member since 2005
Civus

Trajan had to admit that he was mystified by his companions apparent, and apparently boundless faith in him. For his part he knew nothing about any ‘keys to killing’ Laewin/Falven that any ‘remnant of the land’ might have seen. All he knew was that the little girl had once preyed on him, used him as her shield, and then abandoned him, it was later that he found out that the specter he had fought was the ghost of a dead comrade, a comrade killed by Laewin/Falven. The fact that the dead man’s ghost had given him the sword and the charge of ending Laewin was more motivation that he didn’t need. As for the rest of this, the things that Draydis and Craghley seemed to believe… Trajans own faith was a shadow of what it had been, a tattered remnant and he just didn’t know what to say to these two warriors who had joined their cause to his.

“You’re right again Craghley, let us continue for the hour grows late, and while I doubt those drunks would be much more than a warm up, best not to push the Legion. They’ll not rise to the bait but if we start opening veins here in the street they’ll be forced to act.” Trajan suited his words by continuing up the street in the direction the group had been traveling before their mid-street tet-a-tet. “As for ideals such as those Draydis,” he said as he began to move., “I know nothing, all I know is that I have a responsibility to a dead brother-in-arms to exact blood from Laewin, and if this Falven tries to stop me, then his - it’s life is forfeit as well. On that we are united yes?”
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"My good friend, you have already demonstrated honor, justice, and humility. Faith will come in time. I was once lost...my world had become full of loss and misery. Slowly, pieces began to fall into place...then suddenly, it all made sense. Faith is not something that you can find in the words of another. It must come from within you. Trust me that there is a plan for you...I know this for certain, as I have seen it. You will soon know your path."

Dray of course could not tell Trajan of the vision he had in the woods or the words that the Mother spoke to him about Trajan, for it was not the right time.

He smiled and laughed a bit to break any unnecessary tension in their conversation.

"As for the beast and the girl, yes, we are quite united on that goal."

Dray fell into step with the other two, keeping at his position where he could best guard over Trajan...

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

As the three companions approached the entrance to the tavern, it became obvious that the group of adhiel were extremely drunk. They were eight in number and all held bottles of beer. One was heaving the contents of his stomach onto the ground whilst two of his companions jeered at those guarding the portal. A fourth youth staggered in the direction of the new arrivals nearly bowling into Trajan. He lifted a pair of glazed eyes to the former legionnaire.

“Stinking human,” he muttered in a thick accented voice before directing his attention to Craghley.

“Better to stick with your own sort,” he mumbled to the achadhiel. “Unless you’re a Oneist as well.”

“And what about him,” he leered at Draydis. “What’s he got to hide under that hood.” He flailed an arm in the direction of Draydis’ head.
Civus

Draydis continued to display infallible and incorruptible faith, in his personal God as well as in Trajan. A man whom he had just meant, furthermore. Trajan still wasn’t sure how to take the cloaked man, and he was suspicious of his motives, not in joining their endeavor, but in pledging his life to protect Trajan. He was about to question the man further on the subject when one of the drunken adheil nearly bowled him over. The drunk them accosted the group each in turn. Calling Trajan a ‘stinking human’ and directing scathing condemnation at Draydis for his dress, while calling Craghley a Oneist sympathizer.

“Not good.” Trajan thought to himself. “Not good at all. We don’t have time for this!” He fumed.

“Steady on.” Trajan said to the adheil. “We have no quarrel with you and yours this eve but we do have other places to be and business to attend to. So if you will just excuse us..” He left the statement hang, hoping that his companions would see the wisdom in ignoring the jib’s and moving on past them. The drunken Halfling was waiting, and the hour was late and getting later… “Laewin is coming .” he whispered softly.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

At any other time Craghley would still have ignored such a remark from such a person, not least for them being in such a state. Should they have argued, Craghley's attempts at rationality, logic, and compassion would most certainly have broken vainly against the adhiel's walls of drink and whatever kind of hatred festered in his heart. Hopefully the lad was just impressionable... that was a cause which could often be fixed. But people could be stubborn at the best of times. The way this group turned a stupid hate into a festivity... this wasn't a good time.

So Craghley looked at the adhiel as the words were slung at him, then went to move on to the door to the Gate. He'd stand by to let his companions in first. The inside was a place he'd very much rather be... too bad they hadn't much time to see Melissa. Baltimus would have some hearts to lift on top of spells to break.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

If it had been any other day, Dray might have engaged the drunk in a fight. If it had been away from the guards, it would have been even more likely. Draydis knew that a single well-placed strike with the blunt end of his bladed staff would immediately drop the youth to the ground.

But, given the circumstances, the commander surprisingly used complete restraint and simply backed away slightly when the drunk flailed his arm in Dray's direction. He thought for a moment about entering the tavern. It was likely that more within would attempt to gaze at his face.

The commander followed the others with great caution, careful to not get close to anybody...

DMD Member since 2005
Civus

Like Draydis, Trajan was contemplating violence against the drunk in his face. But he was keenly ware of each passing flicker. So he did his best to avoid the drunkard and apart from the one comment to ignore him as well, and move past to follow Craghley to the Gate.

“Life’s little irony’s.” He thought as he moved. “That we should avoid these drunkards to go speak to another one.” Assuming he reached it without incident, Trajan nodded amiably to Craghley as he slid past him to enter the cool dark interior of the tavern. Time may be the thief of memory, but at the moment, Trajan worried more about it being the thief of his life. If Baltimus didn’t know what they needed, or they didn’t have time to do whatever they needed to do before Laewin’s appearance, it would likely mean his death.
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

Draydis was easily able to avoid the drunken youth’s arm and the poor fellow ended up in a heap on the floor. The adhiel’s companions found his plight amusing and roared with laughter, taking no notice of Draydis, Trajan and Craghley as they made their way into the tavern.

The bar was packed with revellers preparing for the festival. Not a single table was vacant and most of the stools at the bar were taken. The bar staff had harassed looks on their faces as they sought to deliver food and drinks to the far corners of the room.

Fortunately, it was impossible to miss Baltimus. The short, dumpy halfling was standing on a stool by the bar singing heartily. What he was singing was impossible to ascertain due to the hubbub in the bar. He had a large mug of ale in one hand, the contents of which were spilling over his long white beard, ornately decorated red and yellow robe and startling large beer gut. Standing close to the mage was an elegantly well-dressed achadhiel with long, braided hair, trying with some difficulty to avoid having the beer spilt over his well-groomed locks.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"My friends, I give tae ye... Baltimus."

Craghley stalked forth towards the mage. He hoped they would not have to stand at the bar with the mage and shout their troubles to the Tavern. Mayhap he could take a free room from upstairs, if there were such a thing. It seemed likely to him that Melissa would demand a fee even without a girl, though with luck he could cut a discount.

Even with adhiel blood Craghley could not pick the song. At another time he would certainly care to. Now Craghley - easing through to stand behind the halfling, beer shower and all - waited until Baltimus was taking a draught from the mug to shout clear and strong into the songs' gap:

"Only one halfing is so generous to share that much ale, with half the bar no less! Baltimus, my melodic friend, how are you?"

It occured to Craghley the flicker he opened his mouth that he might startle the poor man off his stool, and so prepared to catch the mage for the second time while praying for a much more decent result than with the first.

"Baltimus," Craghley then said in as quiet a tone he judged could still be heard. "I and some friends are in mortal peril. We need your expertise as a mage." Craghley cast a look to the aloof adhiel nearby. "Are you with company?"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis remained back and allowed Craghley to speak for them. He did not want to remain in this place any longer than absolutely necessary, and spent the bulk of his concentration on making sure that nobody disturbed his disguise...

DMD Member since 2005

Return to “The Baron Estates”