Roque Entrance Thread: The Gilded Gates (Jygust 31st - MT)

The glorious Summer City upon the white cliffs of the magical Mer de la Luna in the Western Kingdom that harbours many nobles. Home to the Summer Palace of the former King as well as vineyards that produce the city's famous wines. Anything is possible here, if you are willing to bring the right sacrifices.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Roque Entrance Thread: The Gilded Gates (Jygust 31st - MT)

Post by Haikan »

The Gilded Gates - Morningtide of Jygust 31st.

The city gates lack any sort of truly fortified strength. Made up of ornately sculpted metal and climbing, flowery vines, they are clearly made more for ornament than for true protection. The safety of the city is, instead, left in the hands of the armored guards that patrol its streets, and stand at its gates. Five stand outside the quiet gates, no matter what time of day. They are always and uniformly dressed in blindingly polished metal armor bearing Roque's crest. They are silent as they watch visitors pass them by.

Up ahead one can see the city's plateaux rise slowly over the cliffs that touch the enchanting Mer de la Luna to the right. There is no sign of the harbour, save those imposing ships that are large enough to be noticed from here. Obviously the docks are well within the protection of the city walls.

From time to time a salty breeze carries the tolling of a bell, reminding the inhabitants of Roque of their duty to the One god, Dominicus. Other typical sounds of the Mer are drowned out by the busy city life, which starts at these very gates.

Just within the gates, protected from sun and rain by a matching overhang, sit two men at an obviously repaired wooden desk. From the looks of it this sturdy and expensive wood has seen quite some action. Quills and sheets of parchment sit in front of them. Two other guards stand beside them, quietly watching any newcomers who approach. A sign above the desk - lettered in gold calligraphy - reads "Information" in Elvish, with its Common Tongue translation beneath it in smaller, less ornate script

A few steps beyond the gates houses are being built -or perhaps rebuilt- on blackened ground. People are working without complaints to get the buildings ready for use as soon as they can. Their faces stern and sober, they contradict the happy tales of the Eternal Summer City.

Last edited by Haikan on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Edging ever closer to the gates of Roque the young Achadhiel cast frequent looks back over her shoulder. The crew, not even her father, knew she had jumped ship yet. She needed to get into the city and find a bolt hole just in case someone noticed before they left port, though if luck were with her they wouldn’t realise they were far out at sea. And even then they couldnt be sure that she'd choose to stay in Roque.

The five waiting soldiers made her slightly uneasy, as if they might read some guilt on her face and send her packing back. But it was much too late for that, besides she was old enough by now she reckoned to dictate what she did with her life. Hauling the backpack higher on her shoulder she walked up to them directly. “Good day,” she offered in the Adhiel tongue since the sign it seemed more prominent on the sign. “Would you happen to know if anyone is signing up sailors.” Anyone brave enough to take a woman on board? It was a long shot but it seemed as good an opening as any, at least it established her credentials from the off.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Most of the guards were humans, and they looked thoroughly confused. This excluded one who casually responded in the adhiel tongue. "Well, I'll need to know your name, and your reason for entering the city. I assume you want to work in the shipyard." The man who answered was an achadhiel himself, and he was flipping through a ledger which housed the names of all who entered the city. "Would you state your name, religion, and purpose for entering the city?"

Post by Guest »

It made sense , she supposed, it seemed these days every city wanted to know everything about anyone who wanted to shelter within its walls. The same way you needed to wait for the question instead of offer up that information in your first breath.

“I’d be Finbara of Kislovan,” she offered casually, quickly running through reasons to explain entry to the city. The truth wasn’t quite going to cut it, not that whole tale of being passed over for promotion one to many times by her own father and deciding to teach him a lesson by running off to prove her own worth. But a variation of the truth might do. “The Captain hired a man to take my spot on the crew.” Scowling she spat on the floor. “That’s the way with humans ain’t it? Use a woman while they has need, cast her aside when that need passes. Stupid superstitions, I tell you I was one of the best sailors he had. ” It was strange just how much of a betrayal those words felt, she’d embraced the human side of her heritage far more than her brother ever had and her father had made sure the others tolerated her aboard the ship. “So I’m looking for another berth, but since not everyone is happy with a woman on the crew I need a bed and place to call home for now. Seems natural to head down to the shipyard and see if I can’t put my skills to work down there and earn enough for my keep.”
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Oh, you'll find Navirez, down at the Waterworks yard is quite desperate for workers. He won't turn you away because you're a woman. He'd accept anyone of any race or gender. That'd be good, since he's an orc himself." The scribe noted a few things in the ledger, and then looked back up at her with a surprisingly hurt expression in his eyes. "Miss Fin, I'd prefer it if you didn't spit around my post, I like to keep it clean."

The other guards grew quite bored of their unintelligible conversation and reverted to their previous actions, mulling about and quite ignoring the two.

"Who was your captain? Perhaps the shipyard owner has met him. Few ships sail the seas of Tazlure without meeting Navi's crew."
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

There were standards, and there were standards, and it was hard for Fin to pretend she was thrilled at the prospect of being employed by an orc … but she tried. The information seemed to be relayed in such a way that a convicted man should welcome the fact his executioner insisted on silk ropes over hemp.

When he objected, albeit politely, to her spitting she tried to scuff out the offensive stain with the foot … though it took a great deal of restraint not to laugh. The men she was used to moved around never found fault with such a thing, and so it was hard to actually utter an apology aloud … she just hoped her actions would be enough.

Asking after the captain caused her to audibly groan, she hadn’t actually suspected he might ask and didn’t have a likely tale in place to divert attention. “Captain Dara,” she offered in an off handed manner, hoping this Navi wouldn’t make the connection. If he did she didn’t know what she would do, the doubt in her mind was enough to make her consider the wisdom of even approaching the shipyard at all. But for all her doubts family pride couldn’t help by kick in. “Possibly the finest captain I ever sailed under, if not for his prejudices.”
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Very well then, you may proceed into the city. I would indeed suggest the Shipyard to you, although the Bazaar is another popular location. If you need housing the folks at the waterworks yard can help you." He stamped the ledger, and waved her to move along.

ooc: You are now free to enter the city and begin posting as freely as you wish!
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt”