Sinner's Square - Hanging of Theo the Pirate - Jy 31st MT

Located on the north of Mer de la Luna is the capital of the Western Kingdom: Kings Court. Named after the fact it is the king's residence, KC was built by ancient Adhiel ancestors. The capital is surrounded by large grass fields known as the Downs.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Sinner's Square - Hanging of Theo the Pirate - Jy 31st MT

Post by Ashari »

Morningtide
Sinner's Square wrote:On the approach to the Vanguard Barracks, one's senses become dominated by Sinner's Square. Before setting eyes on the place, one smells it. It is the odorous stench of death and rot. The square itself is of cobblestone construction. Large imported stones were set deep into hard-packed dirt. The result was a surface which was hard to walk on and even more difficult to clean. Minute black birds hopped this way and that, picking at the cracks in attempt to find some small semblance of a meal. They volleyed shrill chitters to one another, and when disturbed, moved like a black fog rising from the square. Sinner's Square was the capital city's place of applied justice. This is where those who cross Dominicus come to pay and the good people of King's Court come to watch the proceedings.

A tall permanent gallows stood, towering over the road ominously. Nooses hung, swaying passively, if not threateningly, in the wind. Although usually empty, the square was periodically host to massive roaring crowds which could be seen thumping their feet and hissing loudly for the demise of some 'heathen' or 'pagan scum.' Such hangings were treated as great sport by many, especially the less fortunate citizens of the capital.

Today the sport was in full swing. Hundreds of people gathered in the square to await the hanging of a local pirate - Theo. Some knew his name, but most didn't. Generally speaking, they just were here for the show. Many carried pints, others food. A group of young people heckled a man in stockade while others just waited for the real festivities to begin.

It'd be another half mark or so before the main event started, and the poor of King's Court grew anxious with loud catcalls and boisterous behavior rather uncommon of the early tide.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

Petros approached this event with some disdain. He did not like death and he had a very strong feeling that the One would not approve of making a festival out of someone else's sufferings. As of such Petros had no intention of staying in this place to watch Theo die. Even the people heckling the poor soul in the gallows bothered Petros, if petros had his staff with him he may have hit someone upside the head, but as it was he had not taken it with him on this day. Petros wanted to talk to the person in charge here and to Theo himself. Petros wanted This person to know the love of the One and he wanted to try to stop this waste of human life. Petros knew that the attempt would probably be in vein, but he felt the love of the One compelling him to move forward and to seek out a guard or a person of authority to help his cause.
Last edited by Petros on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Tyrone was right at home amongst the crowd, the odor and the chaos that surround him. Clad once more in his tattered and weathered robe of the Purificatio, the Jackal stood like a gaunt, black wraith, immobile and deeply part of the crowd near the gallows. His face was shadowed inside his hood which was pulled low to keep his dark heritage hidden from the masses. He had woken up early to perform the morning Liturgical Mark of Lauds as not to miss this fortunate event. Yes, he knew that the One God Dominicus approved of this and Tyrone's heart sang with such pious and fanatical musings.

Slowly, he looked up at the ravens and vultures that circled above them and with malicious glint of his dark eyes, he turned to look around him, at the crowd, the gallows, at the man in the stockade, and with a sigh of zealous contentment, as if drawing into him the hatred, the chaos, the anger and wrath that fluttered through the air like the black birds above, the Jackal turned and slowly walked forward, hoping to watch the event as closer as possible and gloat in the glory of it all. Slowly, he pushed through the crowd and then, he found himself face to face with Brother Petros. With his face full of fanatic zealousness, eyes glimmering with malicious piousness, he gave the younger acolyte a solemn nod.

"Dominicus be with you, Brother Petros!" Tyrone murmured his greetings, gladdened that the young acolyte was present to witness the glory of the One God's Justice revealed. "A good day for such an event, is it not, brother? Blessed Dominicus surely approve of this." He continued, casting his eyes heavenward to look at the weather and at the black birds circling above them.

"Pray tell, whither are you heading?" He turned his attention back to Petros and noticed the hint of anger upon his face, and his fanatic heart purred as he approved of Petros' wrathful countenance . "Yes, brother, such atrocity and iniquity deserve justice and death." Tyrone remarked, turning to look maliciously at the man in the stockade. "Don't you think so?"
Last edited by Tyrone on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

Petros was walking in the midst of the crowd when all of a sudden Tyrone was directly in front of him. The soon to be again acolyte was glad to see a friendly face. Surly one who loves and knows the One as well as Tyrone will be a great ally here. Some of Petros fear over what would happen here started to disappear. With Tyrone here by my side nothing can hurt me I will be safe and Tyrone will help put an end to this sad state of affairs.

The soon to be again acolyte was glad for Tyrone's greeting, but what was that second part did he say something about a good day for such an event? Could Tyrone really think that this hanging was a good idea? No Petros must have misheard him Tyrone would surly help stop this he would he must!

Tyrone asked Petros where he was going and he was about to answer when Tyrone made his intention clear by saying
"Yes, brother, such atrocity and iniquity deserve justice and death." Tyrone remarked, turning to look maliciously at the man in the stockade. "Don't you think so?"

Petros did not wish to argue theology here and show to the masses that there was yet division in the One Church even here in Kings Court. That sort of public argument would be unacceptable at this point. Instead Petros leaned close to Tyrone lowered his voice and whispered "Brother, I disagree with the display of disrespect for life that was created by the One. I have come to try to stop this disrespectful and tasteless event. Surly you can see that the love of the one is not in this place at this time. Please Brother help me."
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

"Stop this... event?" Tyrone asked, aghast by what he had heard from Petros. "Brother... I do not understand... Why would you want this..." He gestured all around him, at the chaos that was happening. "...to be stopped?"

Frowning, he looked around him again, unsure of what Petros was talking about. Turning his head here and there, he sought anything that would turn out as an anomaly to such a glorious event that would depict the justice of the One. "Surely, brother, you must be mistaken. That man..." He pointed to the pirate in the stockade, "deserves his punishment. Is he not a sinner? Will you let a sinner live and let himself further drown in his iniquities, thus, damning him to the Nether Hell? His life is in the hands of the One God. We are His creations, and by turning away from His grace, we have forfeited our divine right to live. Is it not written in the Scripture Foedem?"

"Brother..." The Jackal continued, his voice low and gentle, as if speaking to someone who was deeply troubled and laid a gentle hand upon his shoulder. "...surely, you are greatly mistaken. Dominicus Himself is present here and He approves of such event to show that His Justice is done to those who deserve it."

"Come, let us go near and speak to this sinner so that he, with his iniquities and sins, betray himself to you." He gently urged the younger acolyte, his eyes glimmering with malicious fanatic zeal. "Once you have heard his atrocious acts, you will certainly agree that this is a just punishment approved by Dominicus himself." With a last nod, he stepped forward and pushed through the crowd towards the man in the stockade, letting his dark, woolen robe of Purificatio speak for his rank.
Last edited by Tyrone on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

The soon to be again acolyte was glad that Tyrone did not seem angry with him. Although he thought it curious that Tyrone felt that this was the justice that the One insisted on he listened to Tyrone speak of it and realized that Tyrone was very charismatic. Petros was on the verge of believing Tyrone and then he felt something inside himself something he thought was from the One. Life was precious and even sinners had the right to life. They deserved punishment yes, but to die. The soon to be again acolyte just felt as if life should not be a spectacle for the amusement of others.

Petros would have said as much to Tyrone, but before he had a chance to respond Tyrone was off moving through the crowd. Although, for different reasons the soon to be again acolyte also wanted to speak to the one being punished. Petros went off after Tyrone staying as close behind him as he could.

"Brother Tyrone I am coming with you to speak to this sinner, but please keep in mind that we are all sinners forgiven by the love of the One. Does this person not deserve this as well. Just last night you were willing to beat yourself for your sin. Should you not hang, should I not? Surly if the One can forgive us He who is all loving and merciful can forgive this one as well." The soon the be acolyte was nervous about making such bold comments, but he wanted to get his point across to Tyrone.
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Pausing between mid-step, the Jackal turned to face the younger acolyte and considered well his words, his fanatic eyes distant under the shadows of his hood. "You speak well beyond your years, Brother Petros," Tyrone murmured. "Yet, 'tis true that we are all born a sinner and it is our duty and responsibility as the One's creation to repent and turn back to the grace of God. We are created to perpetually atone and ask the forgiveness of Dominicus for we are the children of Justine, who, in her female wickedness and frailty, was tempted by the Nether Rat and casting all of One's creation into perpetual iniquity."

With a somber, fanatical demeanor, the dark achadhiel straightened up and looked around him, at the noisy crowd, at the chaos that surround them and then focused his attention back to Petros, his eyes shining with malicious, fanatic zeal. "We all deserve to be put to death, Brother." Tyrone intoned gravely, gesturing at the crowd and chaos around them. "For such original sin eternally stains us and keeps us away from the Light of the One but it is through obedience to the laws and dogma of the One Church that helps us attain salvation from the perpetual sin that drowns us.

"'Tis we ourselves who turned away from the One God, Brother." Tyrone continued, his eyes looking around him and then focusing at the man in the stockade. "Dominicus created everything for us, loving us, yet, what do we do? We disobey His laws and precepts, we turn away from Him and neglect to worship Him. That is why pagan adhiels, heathens, harlots and sinners deserve such judgment from the One God. Tell me, Brother Petros," The Jackal asked, his fanatic, smoldering eyes still looking at the man in the stockade. "Do you think Dominicus will want to continue forgiving us even if we perpetually wound Him with all of our iniquities? What right do we have to accept His forgiveness when we continue to dwell and drown in such despicable life."

"I tell you, brother, we are just the creation of God, we are nothing without Him and He will continue perpetually without us and it is our responsibility as His creatures to obey His every commandment and doctrine lest we be abandoned by Him; what then shall happen to us?" Inflamed by his own words and preachings, he strode forward once more towards the man in the stockade, pushing through crowd and giving a way for Petros to follow.
Last edited by Tyrone on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[size=75]Avatar from:[url=http://artofphilwohr.blogspot.com/2007/08/redmist-castle-work.html]Phil Wohr[/url]
[hr][/hr]
[i][b]"Hate thy neighbours for they hate you even more."[/i][/b]
[hr][/hr]
Posting: Once/week[/size]
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

The roads leading into the square were busier than usual, even for a hanging, Jacob reflected, but he forced his way through the crowds. He had his hood up and his cloak wrapped tightly around him as if to distance himself from the throng around him. Although he suspected there might be a familiar face or three amongst the sea of faces pressing in around him, he concentrated on getting into the square and finding a good vantage point. It would probably be wishful thinking, judging by the crowd noises, but he pressed on.

For a moment he thought he heard a familiar voice speaking of sin and forgiveness, and turned to see a couple of monks walking through the crowds away from him. One of the figures turned to the other, clearly an achadhiel, with a look that made Jacob shiver, and then cast his gaze around. Jacob moved his eyes a fraction, so as to appear to be looking past the dark figure, and was just out of earshot, but could see him gesturing dramatically. Jacob judged from the looks some of the others in the crowd gave the couple that whatever words he was sharing were not particularly cheery ones, and flicked his eyes back to the achadhiel, since he'd drawn significant attention to himself. Jacob couldn't hear his sermon, nor read his lips, and tried to creep a little closer, but within seconds the monk turned and set off away through the crowds, his companion trailing after him. The young carpenter, after a moments hesitation, pulled his cloak tight and decided to follow a short distance behind.
Irregular posting, busy with RL commitments! Sorry![url=http://www.allavatars.com/avatars/showphoto.php?photo=204&size=big&password=0&sort=1&cat=500]Avatar Source[/url]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The stench of death drifted around the square. It permeated the stones and radiated from the dark gallows. For the people who'd gathered here, it was just a part of the spectacle. It was no different in it's obtrusiveness than the overpowering reek of feces behind the Laughing King or the dead fish scent of the harbor, but they barely noticed it, and certainly didn't comment. Overhead a swarm of blackbirds turned in the air to settle along the visible portions of the King's Court wall. They lined it, and any other surface of the square. It seemed they, too, would like to stay for the festivities.

Somewhere else in the venue a man called out for brazed turkey leg while some other peddler sold egg breads.

Around Tyrone few paid attention, but he did captivate a familiar looking farmer. He had a ruddy complexion and wore simple clothing, and though he made no outward sign of recognizing Tyrone from the previous day at the Gate, he did watch him carefully and in his small brain he was considering whether or not he should approach, and what he'd even say or offer to the achadhiel holy man.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

The soon to be acolyte did not see Jacob behind him if he had he would have greeted him, but as it was he and Tyrone were having an argument that Petros wished would not elevate. He and Tyrone had stopped again and Tyrone had assured the soon to be acolyte that this was just and right, that the One would approve of such action, but the soon to be acolyte was not sure. He was nervous because he did not want this argument to break out and cause division between himself and Tyrone. Petros did not look as confident anymore the worry showed on his face, and Tyrone may have been able to detect The soon to be acolytes fear if he was intune to the feelings of others.

There was now great doubt within the soon to be acolyte. He was not even an acolyte yet he had been told to forget about his past and to start anew. Did that order mean that he should forget all of his training and understanding from before should he let Tyrone his elder in the faith take the lead on this. After all Tyrone was an actual member of the clergy not just pretending to be one.

It was a matter of conscience the he may not actually an acolyte yet, but how could he let this go. The soon to be acolyte could not his resolve grew and he knew he was going to have to try to convince Tyrone that he was right other wise he knew Tyrone would stand against him when it came to stopping this abomination.

"Tyrone, I mean no disrespect." Petros said in as polite and diplomatic voice as possible, "but I think you are wrong. The One has indeed created us to be in a loving relation with Him, and it is our own fault that we have fallen away from Him. On this I am sure we agree, but the One gives us love and forgiveness through his presence within the Church and it is by this dwelling in the Church that His love is shown. It is His will to be loved by all his creation so how is it that if He has done so much to be with His creation we can say that some of that creation is not worthy to receive His presence?"

Petros breathed deep. He had gotten a little heated this time more then he had intended and his voice had gone well above the whisper he had been speaking in before, and if Jacob was still near he may have heard part if not all of the soon to be acolytes outburst. Although his voice was louder Petros felt as if he had maintained a level of calmness in his voice and felt that he was still being diplomatic in his tone.
Last edited by Petros on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob had heard only the final part of the speech, and almost disregarded it as more religious rhetoric about the One and his part in creation. But then Petros paused for breath, as if expecting some sort of rebuke for his words, and Jacob realised this might become something more like a heated debate. The carpenter crept even closer, pulling his hood down over his face, turned the same way as much of the crowd towards the Morningtide's big attraction, whilst straining his ears to hear how the conversation would develop.
Irregular posting, busy with RL commitments! Sorry![url=http://www.allavatars.com/avatars/showphoto.php?photo=204&size=big&password=0&sort=1&cat=500]Avatar Source[/url]
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

The dark Jackal was taken aback by Petros' fervor and by the fanaticism that the young man was showing. With a malicious and fanatic glint of his piercing gray eyes, the acolyte confessor of the Purificatio of the Prodessean Church smiled an oily grin and slowly, he paused and fully faced the young acolyte of the One Church, his dark face then solemn and filled with deep fanaticism that more than matched Petros' fervor.

"My brother, such faith becomes you." Tyrone exclaimed out loud with pride but as quickly as his pleasure appeared, it was instantly replaced by a worried frown, shaking his head at the younger acolyte. "But such belief is poorly misguided."

If Petros was worried about an argument, the Jackal deemed it inappropriate for he saw the younger acolyte as a man of faith, a man of religious conviction to the worship of the One and this, the dark achadhiel applaud, albeit, Petros' belief was poorly misguided. Perhaps, the young acolyte needed to be shown to the right doctrines and catechism of the One God.

"My brother," Tyrone began once more, his voice gentle yet loud over the din of the crowd. "It is our iniquities and the original sin handed down to us by the harlot Justine that separates us from the Presence and Love of Dominicus, the One and Only God. How can we receive the grace of the One God when we are still sunk low in such atrocities? Would you bind a wound with a cloth even if it's full of maggots? You do not, my brother! You cannot! And as long as we are full of maggots, we are all not worthy to receive His presence."

"Thus says the holy scripture: 'Never may a being take the life of another being without just cause- for life is a sacred gift of The One, and all things are deserving of the chance to exist, as long as they obey the ordainments of The One..." Tyrone proclaimed out loud but with profound graveness and fanaticism, he continued the verse in a chilling tone. "However, should one fall from grace, their life is forfeit in His eyes."

"Truly, I say to you, my brothers and sisters in the One!" The Jackal cried out loud, deeply inflamed by the scripture and with wrath, he turned and pointed at the man in the stockade with an accusing finger. "That man deserves this judgment and punishment for he has fallen completely away from the grace of the One God. Will you let him live, my brothers and sisters, and stain and corrupt your sons, your daughters, yes, even yourselves by such a sinner? No! You remove the maggots from the wound and kill them so that you shall be then healed anew before the Presence of the Lord!"

"And my brother," He turned once more towards Petros and angled at him with a quizzical look, his piercing gray eyes gleaming with malicious zeal. "Will you let that sinner live and let him further drown in sin with his atrocious acts, thus, surely damning him perpetually into the deepest pit of the Nether Hell? Will you condemn him that severe punishment? That is not the precepts of the One Church, my brother. This way, with his death, we shall pray for his soul so that his judgment and punishment in the Nether Hell shall not be severe, for I tell you, he will surely be cast down into the pits of Nether Hell for all his iniquities with all the other sinners, fornicators, role-playing gamers, pagans, adhiels and harlots!"
Last edited by Tyrone on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

(OOC: genius! :D )

Jacob had crept closer to the two holy men, and was startled by Tyrone's sudden appeal to the crowd. Although he sensed that he was a great speaker,and indeed had felt imself nodding to himself as if swayed by the out-pouring of words, he reminded himself that he found too much disagreeable, and the sort of dogmatic zeal that had turned Jacob's interest away from worship of the One. Somebody has been whacked over the head with the god stick one ime too many, Jacob mused.

The use of the maggot word seemed excessive, but at least he understood the ranting when it touched on the metaphor. His final words to his companion, barely audible, confused the carpenter. Although he'd finally got close enough to recognise Petros as one of his dinner companions the previous night.

Perhaps he should make himself scarce?
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

The soon to be acolyte was taken aback with Tyrone's outburst and then his preaching. This man could preach! Petros heard and understood Tyrone's concern and he was being swayed by the words of his elder. How could the Church let sin prosper? But this killing, it just did not seem right to him. The Church was the voice the body, the arms of the One. We must do what the One would do. Would the One kill this person?

The soon to be acolyte raised his voice to the people as well. “Lovers and followers of the One, I speak to you about his justice. The One's justice that is full of love. It is said that the One wishes his creation to be with Him, but the only way to be in his presence is through devotion and prayer. For it is written ' The sins can always be atoned for; but they are transgressions still in His eyes. Only prayer can save the soul- for without prayer, no man can stand in good faith.' Tell me my brothers and sisters how can one who is dead repent or pray. The One would surly want all to have the opportunity to pray, and for his truth to come to the whole world. It is also written ' Let his light shine into every crevice.' How is it that the love of the One will proceed to everyone if the Church that does the will of the One kills all instead of loves all. Brothers and sisters I tell you the truth, the One can do anything and the One can do all, and we his creation can not. Our sin prevents us from repenting as we should we can not. However, because the One makes his temple in each of us he is able to come to us in our sin and forgive us. It is written ' his temple is within us' and ' What limits can be placed upon the One? There can be no restrictions on light.' The One is capable and willing to forgive and save, but this putting to death is not his way. If one is wounded you would not remove the maggots first. A wise person would let nature take its course for the maggots will clear the wound of infection and disease. Then a person would find another who is skilled in healing to help remove the maggots and clean the wound. The One is the skilled one who is able to give the maggots to preserve the wounded and the One is also able to clear the maggots and close the wound. I tell you my friends, killing this one is like killing a person the the One has set a side for us to help and bring to full health. How can we who are called to do the will of the One neglect our duty and take the easy way out, the way of death.”

The soon to be acolyte turned again and lowered his voice so only Tyrone could here. “Brother, I am not zealous to be zealous I am so because the One directs me, and if he directs you as well, we must save this man. “
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob halted his retreat. There seemed to be a bizarre conflict brewing here, two wills opposed to the tug of each other, yet both wanting to include the other in their divine mission. Jacob realised that this struggle might somehow be more important than watching the pirate's final struggle for life, that something big was unfolding here.

Maybe this was what he had come here to witness...?
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

While Tyrone and Petros were doing their very best to attract the attention of the crowd they weren't yet biting at the chance to be swayed by the religious figures. They'd come to the hanging for a good bit of entertainment, not to be badgered by the Will of Dominicus - something they dealt with every Rasday without fail... never mind on a nearly daily basis. So, they continued to do their best to ignore the brewing argument, though they did manage to get the eyes of the large farmer and secretive Jacob who hid his identity in the cowl of his hood. There were a few others in the form of a young woman who was doing her best at blending in as she stalked Jacob, as well as a handful nameless others who were close by. If they wanted other people's attention they would have to try a lot harder to get it.

Meanwhile, the man in the stockade shouted at Tyrone. "Hey, I'm not the one to be hanged... I ain't done that much wronging, and I'm making up for it right now, here," he balled his hands into fists, but it was a futile movement for only his pride's sake. "That fella that's meant to be hung, he don't deserve it none, either - just avoiding his taxes," and his tithes, but he didn't mention that bit considering the present company. "Who are you to say who gets to live and who don't?" He agreed with Petros' line of thought, but perhaps that was because he didn't obey the laws all that great himself.

The crowd continued to enjoy their merriment, and sellers called out about their goods. "Come one, come all, and have a taste of Gillian's Sweeties! Gill's Pies, 2 banner per, come on then, come on," a man's voice shouted from behind a two wheeled cart atop of which there were many different pies of both sweet and savory flavors. He wasn't too far off from the religious discussion, but he was far too busy selling to include himself in it.
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Man in the Stockade wrote:
"Hey, I'm not the one to be hanged... I ain't done that much wronging, and I'm making up for it right now, here. That fella that's meant to be hung, he don't deserve it none, either - just avoiding his taxes. Who are you to say who gets to live and who don't?"

Appalled, Tyrone drew up indignantly and growled, turning to fully face the man in the stockade with pure burning wrath upon his gray, fanatic eyes. How dare this sinner belittle his own iniquities when it was clearly apparent that he had sinned greatly? This... punishment was not enough! Clearly! By the mere fact that he was in the stockade was a sure indication that his soul was damned to the Nether Hell! He was an abomination and he deserved to be hanged.

"Clearly, your punishment is not enough, sinner!" The Jackal replied harshly, his voice loud over the din of noise. How dare he protect the man to be hanged as well! It was true, evil calls to evil! "Death can only atone for the iniquities you have done! How dare you question the dogma and the teachings of the One Church! Surely, today, Dominicus frowns upon you and your soul shall perpetually burn in the deepest pit of Nether Hell!"

"The One does not wish his creations to be with him! He commands you to be with Him!" Tyrone intoned with his voice full of passion, pointing an accusing finger at the man in the stockade, and randomly pointing, he pointed at the farmer he had met at the Gates and at Jacob as well. "He does not wish for our prayer! He does not wish for our devotion, He does not wish for our worship, in truth, He commands our devotion and worship! Why should He wish when He created us! He has the right to do away with us in a blink of an eye! It is our duty as God's creature to obey Him! We are nothing without Him!"

"Brother Petros," the dark achadiel turned to the younger acolyte, his voice still harsh and loud, full of conviction and zeal. "You are right! Surely, you are a man of God! You have shown me the wisdom of the One God! God's Temple is within all of us! So too His Justice is within us! We all have the divine right to cleanse all wicked impurities around us in the name of the Only God!"

"My brothers! Dominicus calls you all, He is within all those who held to His precepts..." He called out over the din of noise. "...Why would you let someone do the justice for you when you can take the divine justice right into your own hands! This Divine Right is given to us by Dominicus Himself! By this Divine Temple within us," He turned around and his burning eyes fell upon Jacob as he gestured at the man in the stockade. "...we have the right to kill those who oppose us in the name of the One God!"

"I say unto you... Let those who want to be saved cast out the first stone against those sinners and you shall inherit the Kingdom of God!"
[size=75]Avatar from:[url=http://artofphilwohr.blogspot.com/2007/08/redmist-castle-work.html]Phil Wohr[/url]
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

Petros stood and his face sank into a deep frown as Tyrone began his rant. Death and destruction every where is that what Tyrone wanted? How is it that he is so sure that the One wishes such a death even on these who have sinned? The soon to be acolyte was very concerned at this point that Tyrone was going to have the man in the stockade put to death along with the pirate who was already to be killed. Petros felt that the crowd was not with him. He was unaware that they were not accually paying attention, but he got the distinct impression that this crowd wanted to witness blood. Then Tyrone turned back to Petros

"Brother Petros," the dark achadiel turned to the younger acolyte, his voice still harsh and loud, full of conviction and zeal. "You are right! Surely, you are a man of God! You have shown me the wisdom of the One God! God's Temple is within all of us! So too His Justice is within us! We all have the divine right to cleanse all wicked impurities around us in the name of the Only God!"

The young acolyte was unsettled by Tyrone's voice. He seemed like a rabid animal to Petros. In a subdued quite tone he attempted to speak to Tyrone again. "That is not what I meant brother you are twisting my words." It seemed to no avail for the dark achadiel continued on his rant.

Petros saw Jacob when Tyrone pointed at him. Oh great and powerful One please let no harm come to Jacob or any other here. Be with us as we need your love and guidance always but particularly now. While he was praying Petros tried to make eye contact with Jacob if he was able to do so Jacob would see that the acolyte felt as if he were losing ground and a plea for help.

In a moment of clarity the young acolyte understood that he could not win this argument this way. In a sudden burst of insight he knew that he had been right all along, but that Tyrone and the crowd did not want to receive or hear a message of love. These people had come to see a hanging, and now that Tyrone had given them permission they were sure to take matters into their own hands and kill the man in the stockade as well as stick around for a hanging or even worse they may kill both men. This was going poorly.

The young man knew that he had to dis empower the crowd he must make them feel unworthy to kill these men. Petros was very uncomfortable and his hands had begun to shake in a fit of fear and sorrow. He raised his voice once more trying to meat Tryone's volume, but his voice also shock and was obviously nervous. “Brothers and sisters, my friend here is wrong. You do not have the right to take this life, and if you do it will not save you. Instead this action would convict you as murders and hypocrites. This man” he pointed at Tyrone “has told you 'Let those who want to be saved cast out the first stone against those sinners and you shall inherit the Kingdom of God.'But I tell you that only one who is pure can judge in this way. So I say to you let the one among you who is without fault throw his stone but no other. I also tell you that that one must start with me and then my Brother here” he pointed to Tyrone once more “we of all people should be stoned, and after you must stone one another, and if there is one left after that slaughter then and only then will that one have the right to take the life of this one.” As he stopped speaking he was pointing at the man in the stockades.

Lord Dominicus please be here let those here see reason and love. Petros felt fear for the first time after entering the city.
[/i]
Last edited by Petros on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

For a moment, when Jacob was directly spoken to, he was sure Petros would see him and deduce that he'd followed him there from Zeyanara's place. He couldn't have planned things so badly if he'd tried. Right now he had a screaming zealot advocating he cast the first stone. And Petros, far from looking suspicious at the carpenter's presence, had a look of desperation in his eyes. Jacob supposed Petros feared for the life of the man he'd befriended the night before, which was genuinely touching given the short time they'd spent together. But what could he do? He was a carpenter!

Still, from the moment Tyrone had pointed at him, he'd felt somehow vindicated in his previous assessment, that this was a big moment. There was no escape now. His future may very well depend on whether he chose to stand with a God he was convinced wasn't the god for him, or to express some other conviction.

"So..." Jacob spoke, hesitantly, looking first at Tyrone, then to Petros. Gods willing he'd maintain the pretense that they were strangers, or this could get a lot more confusing. "We should throw stones around as easily as we throw words. With as little care and with no way to correct an error? After all, to err is human. If I am to be God's tool, where do I look to to find guidance, to ensure my aim is true?" Jacob looked around at the crows for support, and laughed, adding "After all if their priests cannot agree how are we simple folk to know God's will?" He hoped some of the anonymous crowd had his back, because he'd undoubtedly get a hail of words thrown back for his audacity, if not stones.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

It was, surprisingly, Jacob's words that cut through to the surrounding crowd with clarity. They'd already been through so much with the division of the church, the death of their avatar and king, Balthasar as well as the departure of the only other clear leadership they'd known in the form of Demetrion. They had so little, and were tired of having to make choices. They wanted some form of leadership to tell them what to do. The church, it appeared, wouldn't be that venue as Jacob pointed out their biggest problem: in-fighting.

A few cheers came up at Jacob's final remark as well as additional laughter including that of a cowled young woman who was stalking Jacob. It was mixed into the varied voices of the others around, and thus not easily picked out for it's familiarity by either Jacob, Petros or Tyrone - for they'd all met her. A man's baritone came through clearly. "We're tired of picking sides from you dress-wearing lot of Godspeakers," whoever said it wasn't stepping forward, but a few others joined in with heckles at the comment.

"Do not taunt the priests! One should fear their knowledge of the divine!"

"We are not worthy of making these choices, fathers."

"Give me a stone, and I will throw it," here, the solid bass of the farmer filled the air around the young men's ears with it's finality as his earth brown eyes looked upon the sinner in the stockade. He looked at Tyrone. "We are tools for Dominicus' Will, let it be done,"

Upon the stage came a man dressed in blue and white livery carrying a proclamation scroll. He unrolled it as he reached the end of the wooden gallows where he was the center of attention (or so he assumed). "People of the city," he began with a clear intonation. "Today, justice will be served. You have the honor of witnessing the death of a pirate," at the word pirate there was a cacophony of boos and yowls from the audience. "By hanging, as is the law of our land," he unrolled the scroll further and cleared his throat to prepare for the next bit.
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

Petros had been looking to Jacob for support here and instead he was slapped in the face by the very thing he was afraid of, division in the Church.

"After all if their priests cannot agree how are we simple folk to know God's will?"

The young man was somewhat upset with Jacob for suggesting such a break in the Church could exist here. The One would not allow such a thing. Petros was not questioning the will of the One or of the Church, he was just questioning if this killing was justified or not? He had also hoped that by questioning this one killing he would be able to prove that the One did not always want His followers to kill those who stood in there way. Even though Tyrone seemed to disagree with Petros, the young man did not think of it as division within the church, although he was afraid of such a thing. Instead Petros felt as if he and Tyrone where expressing different ideologies within the church differences that could and would be healed. The young man felt a righteous anger for he felt as if Jacob had just blasphemed against the very name of the One. He must repent for this. The soon to be acolytes eyes glowed with angry much as Tyrone had earlier. Is this what Tyrone feels? Maybe this is justice after all? Petros must make Jacob repent for his sin against the One. He was about to open his mouth when the crowd started making comments and then the man came out to introduce the execution that was to take place.

The young man still felt as if this Tho could repent of his sin, and still wanted to do something to save him, but he was also very upset at Jacob. Petros deciding on a course of action that he was still unsure of turned toward his brother Tyrone. "Maybe you are right, brother, at least about this pirate. For the time being let us leave this man alone." Petros pointed to the main in the stockade. "I wish to question the man to be hung as you have suggested. You must prove to me that this is just. Let us question him together." He spoke these words directly toward Tyrone and he was not preaching or raising his voice although he was not whispering either anyone near listening would could have heard him speak these words.

The soon to be acolyte then turned with malice and angry toward Jacob. "You who say the church is not One, as the LORD is One, we shall show you. You will come with us and witness our questioning so that you too may be given the chance to repent of your sin." The last word slipped from Petros' mouth like a serpent so that the s hung in the air. With this the young man turned and walked quickly and with purpose toward the stage where this Theo was being brought out. He would question him and he would know the truth. We are One oh great Dominicus make us so and keep us so. Fury still ran through him as he made his way to the stage. Petros would wait for Tyrone and Jacob to join him before climbing to the stage, but he would not wait long if the failed to show up for his anger was great, and he wished to prove that the Church was indeed still One.
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

No, no, no! That's not how it's supposed to happen!

Moments before, Jacob's face had been full of laughter and cheer. Now the laugh had frozen, and the face threatened to crack. He'd expected harsh words from Petros's menacing mentor, but instead it seemed to unite the two of them. Then he had turned on the carpenter. He'd thought that Petros had wanted him to demonstrate his resolve in the face of the achadiel. Perhaps that hadn't been his concern after all.

Or perhaps insulting another man's religion is not the best way to demonstrate your friendship.

Jacob reconsidered his words. He'd only really been commenting on his prompt to be throwing stones at sinners, not making sweeping statements. Okay, so he'd encouraged the crowd a little, and maybe they'd built up a little momentum of their own. But really, Jacob had little time for religious politics. Religion was about God, politics about man. It always got a little tangled up when man tried to dictate the whims of the gods.

"Now, wait a minute. I didn't mean..."

There was something about Petros's tone that reminded Jacob of everything he hated about the worship of the One. And yet this was the same person who had spoken with compassion before. Was this a friendship worth drawing back from the brink of the abyss? Or was it simply a taste of things to come?

The carpenter halted his protest. He didn't consider himself a sinner, but not being an ardent follower the words dripped less with the sting of shame than with the sting of spite. And from someone who really didn't seem to be a spiteful man. If there was some way to show Petros he genuinely hadn't meant anything by his comments, he'd take it. Of course, priests generally were completely mad in their unwavering devotion, but there's no sense in stirring up bad feeling.

"Ah well," Jacob said, for the benefit of the small audience around him. "I looks like I'm going to get a front row seat for this spectacle." Following Petros, he felt his confidence diminish with every step away from his previous audience. He glanced over his shoulder.

"Anyone care to join me?" he half-joked.
Last edited by Jacob Rimon on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

It was the jeering laughter that cut through the fanatic soliloquy of Tyrone, their jeers and their mockery slapping at him, punching at him and he felt as if he was swallowed and regurgitated all at the same time. Slowly, his dark achadhiel head turned to face Jacob and gave him his most incredulous look, as if disbelieving his audacity to mock Dominicus and his One Church. They could taunt him, physically maltreat him, even crucify him, but the mere thought of someone, anyone, making fun and ridiculing the One Church and thus, mocking the One and Only God brought Tyrone to a state of profound zealous madness. He trembled in pure agitation and anger, his wild gray eyes boring balefully at Jacob and his face was awash with profound wicked madness that the mere sight of him could knock a fly off a wall.

But it was Petros who brought him back from his frothing, zealous madness. The Jackal of the One Church was on the verge of picking up a stone and lobbing it at the carpenter, and he would have condemned Jacob as a heretic, a devil worshiper, a... sinner of the most profound kind that the mere sight of him could send you to the deepest pit of Nether Hell and he knew, with fanatic confidence, that the crowd would immediately join him in lobbing stones at this shameless sinner, sending him then and there to the Nether Hell, to where Jacob truly belong. When Brother Petros spoke, Tyrone was truly amazed by the wrathful zealousness that the younger acolyte had shown. He thought that he could never draw it out from the young man, but here he was, Petros, talking with full fanaticism and the Jackal's heart was glad by such fervent conviction.

Tyrone stepped back behind Petros as he continued to talk to Jacob, and smiled an oily smile at the carpenter, his gray eyes gleaming with malicious intent and he would have chuckled out loud, laughed out loud at the carpenter, nodding here and there at Petros' words, his wicked eyes intent on Jacob. With a small gesture, the Jackal lifted his right hand, his forefinger and middle finger out, pointed them at his own eyes and then with deliberate gesture, pointed them at Jacob, silently mouthing words that he hoped the carpenter could understand.

"You spoke truly, Brother Petros," The Jackal whispered at the younger acolyte, leaning closer to his ears, but his wicked eyes still boring at the carpenter. "Your conviction becomes you, my brother in the One Church. We shall show this heretic," he gestured at Jacob, "that the One Church is united. Did you not hear him mock the Church, thus mocking the sanctity of Dominicus?" Tyrone egged on Petros. "This man is truly a sinner, a heretic, did you not see how he tainted the people around him? Did you not see the people around agree with his blasphemies? He is a danger to the One Church, thus a danger to the faithful congregation of Dominicus? Will you let the faithful fall from the grace of God with this man's rat-filled tongue? Surely, the Nether has given him this tainted power to take the souls of the faithful away from the One's Grace." That done, he stepped away from the younger acolyte and followed him towards the stage, smiling another wicked smile at Jacob as he brought the rear of this little procession.

"Not only are you going to get in the front seat, sinner..." The Jackal whispered at Jacob, "I assure you, as Dominicus is my witness, you will be one of the spectacle of this divine event." And with another small, cackle of a laughter, he continued. "Do not worry, heretic, the pirate will join you and you both shall burn in the Nether Hell..."
Last edited by Tyrone on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

The carpenter tried to ignore the hissing in his ear. This priest was like a snake, and quite possibly just as dangerous. This snake, however, seemed not guided by instincts for survival but by pure malice. If he'd thought Petros had attacked him with a sting of spite, it was but a pale reflection of the venom now visited upon him.

Jacob could feel a cold chill down his spine. With the looming threat of death suddenly God didn't seem such an abstract and distant subject. He might actually find out the Truth, a lot quicker than he ever imagined.
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

Petros had started to move away when Tyrone leaned in and spoke his malice message into the ear of the young man. If he had been in his right mind this would have pushed him away from the fanatical Jackal, but as it was right now it was fuel for the new fanatic's fire. As Tyrone spoke in his ear the message of death and hate some part of Petros snapped. Now full anger was coursing through the mind of the new fanatic. Petros glared at Jacob once more turned and lead the way.

How dare Jacob lead others away from the truth and bliss of the One? The One was compassionate but only to a point, the One was also was, and demanded justice. What did justice mean in this situation? Justice only comes through love It was a quite voice, but it was there. What? Justice and love are two different things. Justice is called for here not love. This was a much louder voice it was almost shouting inside of his head. Yes Justice must be served, love must be deserved! A Grin crept to the corners of Petros's face justice. If the Pirate was indeed a heathen he would die and Petros would rejoice at his passing, and before the end of this day another servant of the nether would pass from Tazlure. Jacob must die. Tyrone was right! Wait! The small voice whimpered he's a nice guy. Remember last night. Images of the previous evening came to mind. He had been very kind at dinner. They had gotten to know each other. they had even spent the night at the same house. Maybe this was a bit much Nice! A bit much!Heathen is what he is, sinner, unworthy of love and compassion! The crazy man may have liked him last night but this was now, and Jacob was anathema. Anathema must always mean death. It was crazy, it was violent, it was just, and Petros loved it. The quite voice would be silenced by blood, but not his blood, instead, the blood of a carpenter would do nicely.

The new fanatic laughed maliciously as Tyrone threw his verbal abuse at the walking dead. "Come little lamb to the slaughter" Petros added joyfully in Tyrone's silence. This day the One will be pleased with his servants. "The righteous shall inherit life, and death will be for the sinner, Your fate awaits oh blasphemer, heretic, death bringer, your death awaits." His mouth curled up in hate and his face contorted with righteous rage. Again he laughed.
Last edited by Petros on Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Kings Court”