Shaping the Future (Jygust 30, TT)

Terra West is the continent that stretches from the rolling grasslands of the Western Kingdom, the icy peaks of the Howling Ice Mountains hiding the Kingdoms of Khan and Kaza Rhun to the dragoninfested desert of Terra Incognita. To the North one can find the woodlands that house the mysterious Adhiel and the swamp that harbor Orcs. T'aquar is open as a starting location for players.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Mods

Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Shaping the Future (Jygust 30, TT)

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue was pensive during the short boat ride back from the strange floating tree. Taking time only to smile gratefully to Khar'Ione, the Eastern woman found her feet again on solid ground (with considerably less relief than most others felt at such things) and began walking in the direction she'd seen An go. The dark fathoms of her eyes seemed almost to see nothing at all as she walked, her arms swaying fluidly at her sides in time with her steps.

Already she had learned much. Oneists would likely be bad news for her, she had decided. Adhiel or not, they did not at all approve of other beliefs, and Hue was not going to lie about her unwavering faith in the Kami. This Dominicus fellow didn't sound at all as if he was interested in balance or harmony, which was troubling. How could a society not based around harmony possibly flourish? It was true that uprisings in the Eastern Empire were not uncommon, but this was only in great times of stress.

Well, Hue thought, this certainly seems to be a time of stress.

What sort of uprisings were stewing in the forest? Or had this just been another twist of the tale Aonail had told her? Nephe'line had warned that he might have been exaggerating, for the female Adhiel seemed far less troubled by the Human presence than Aonail. Yet he had also warned her of the mistrust of the elves in the deep woods. Would she be killed if she ventured into them? It was true she looked different from the Western Humans, but she wasn't sure the Adhiel in the forest would be as willing as Aonail to discover just how different she was. Perhaps if she let them find her...? She could find a clearing, perhaps, and sit in its midst in meditation. Perhaps they would see she meant no harm.

The Tree first, she decided. Maybe the Tree of Shaping would hold some sort of hidden secret. Hue had learned some time ago that Nature had a way of telling secrets to those who knew how to listen. If Aonail's friend had truly heard the tree cry out at night, maybe there was something to be learned. At the least, perhaps an Adhiel who knew a Shaper might notice her...

Oh great Kami, honorable spirits of the elements, guide me in my search for knowledge. Take my feet where you would have them walk, let my ears hear the whispers around me. Open my eyes, that I might better see the path.

Prayers such as this were common, uttered often throughout each day. Hue sought the guidance of the Kami in all things, faithfully trusting that, while they did not answer all her prayers in the most obvious ways, they would guide her as much as necessary. After all, she was their vessel.

Now, where had An gone off to?
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15174]Hue artwork[/url][/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

An was, for the moment at least, nowhere to be seen. The ancient adhiel ascetic had said that he would find somewhere nearby to centre himself, but he had left no obvious clue as to where he had gone.

To reach the Tree of Shaping, which was in the southwest, from the Floating Willow, Hue had to pass right across the city. The quickest path led across a bridge of woven roots over the clear River Levy, and straight through the bustling Flea Market, full of noisy hawkers and pushy merchants. Guards patrolled the area - both human, like those who had met the Easterners at the harbour, and adhiel, who wore sky-blue tunics and cloaks over leather armour.

Despite it being the height of the day, all of Kes'Levy was dark and cool. The canopies of the four great ironwood trees that framed the city absorbed most of the light, and where rays of light fell between the branches, newer trees had been grown. Like the Floating Willow, most of these had broad trunks and circular openings for windows: they were used as houses or shops. Taller trees held many residences, with rope-and-plank walkways connecting them at a dizzying height above. Occasionally a blue-cloaked adhiel could be seen striding deftly across them.

The southwestern quarter of the city was much quieter than the busy centre. There were few shops or public places here, and even the houses seemed to shrink away from the stark bulk of the Tree of Shaping. Its sprawling trunk, at least as large in diameter as the ship that had brought Hue and An to T'aquar, dominated the area.

"Nature is a great power to behold and one must tread lightly or be bitten." Those were the words that could be seen etched above the entrance archway of the tree: a sad reminder of the heritage belonging to it. Unlike the other vast ironwoods, this one had no light emanating from inside, and its cavernous entrance resembled a mouth. Within was a spiralling stairway leading both up and down.

Little could be heard except the ever-present rustling of leaves, although a gentle rhythm of footsteps told of the presence of someone - probably an adhiel - not far off.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue's features remained impassive as she considered her thoughts and the absence of An's presence. She was not surprised or worried, for An could take care of himself well enough. Sometimes she wondered if he was truly as old and tired as he seemed. There was one thing to be said about him, though: he greatly enjoyed being mysterious. No doubt An would reappear in time, after she had accomplished what she needed to.

Hands folded quietly at her chest, Hue walked steadily in the direction she had been told, her steps neither slow nor hasty. When she found herself caught in the bustle of the market, Hue's eyes unfocused slightly. She watched the shift of colors, the way people moved and the sounds of their voices. Rather than fight the tangle of people, Hue did her best to move discreetly through them. Like a fish riding a current, Hue slipped in and out of openings in the crowd, shifting her weight gently to avoid bumping shoulders, careless feet, and armloads of goods. Bob, dip, weave, Hue turned it into a sort of game -- until she reached a quieter quarter of the city.

She didn't need to search for the tree. It was quite obvious, dominating the southwestern quarter, standing strongly above her without acknowledging her. It took her quite some time, as her experience with written Adhiel was laughable, but in time she managed to reach what was etched above the archway of the tree, reading what she could and filling in the rest with guesses and context. Hue had a strong reverence for Nature, so these words did not scare her. Rather, she stood before the tree and bowed deeply, her head dropping and her spine curling until her braid slipped over her shoulder and brushed over the ground.

Standing again, Hue caught the sound of footsteps nearby, her head turning this way and that to find their owner. Yet she saw no one, and turned back to the tree, approaching it slowly and reverently.

No doubt you have witnessed much, Hue thought, approaching the archway and gazing thoughtfully at the trunk there, noting the curl of pattern in the bark, and its thickness. It looks as if you have been forgotten, but surely none could forget your wisdom forever. Tentatively she reached out, placing her small, deft hand upon the tree. Her gaze flicked to the side, toward the darkened staircase. Then her attention focused inward as she meditated, quieting herself and her thoughts. To hold more, a vessel must have enough room, she reminded herself.

In, out, steadily her breath filled her lungs, then left again. As if she were pulling upon strings, Hue caught her thoughts and reigned them inward, collecting them together, keeping them close so that her mind might be open. Her heartbeat slowed. Her muscles relaxed. Her hand remained on the tree.

"Hello," she said softly in Adhiel, speaking to the tree and whom- or whatever else might be listening. "My name is Hue. I want to learn."
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

Morg

Post by Morg »

The tree's bark was dark and gnarled, and its living core was as strong as stone - which was not to say that it could not be shaped, if one knew how to ask.

The surroundings, calm and tranquil as they were, were very conducive to meditation. Interference - the rustling of the leaves, and the receding footsteps - could be factored out of her mind at will, in favour of a deeper knowledge of the tree she touched. It was suffering.

The extent and nature of its suffering was not immediately clear. What emanated from the tree was a strong feeling of discomfort and malaise, and of panic, if trees could be said to suffer from such a thing. This was its first communication with Hue; then it spoke.

Its words were not a reply to her request. They acknowledged not what she had spoken, but that she had spoken. It was unclear whether it was one voice that she could hear, or several speaking in unison. Nevertheless, they were directly addressing her.

Help us... We are dying...
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue's outward countenance barely shifted as feelings -- not hers, but not foreign to her -- rushed into her emotions. Her heartbeat quickened for the briefest moment before she willed it to slow again. First instinct was, of course, to fight off such uncomfortable emotions. But Hue was trying to learn to accept all things equally, the good with the bad.

She let the panic rush through her, felt out the discomfort and malaise as if they were footholds in some great climb: carefully. Probingly. Then, words. Perhaps one voice, perhaps several; she couldn't tell.

Help us... We are dying...

Her eyes closed at these words. Questions tried to flood her thoughts, but she held them at bay as best she could. She wanted to know who was dying. The tree? All the trees? The Elves? And of what? For a moment her mind threatened to run away with its thoughts, as often occurred. But here, she didn't have the time to just sit and think all day. In the Empire she could meditate in the Stone Garden, or think all she wanted when she didn't have lessons. Here, she needed to learn more than contemplate.

A few flickers passed after she heard the words, her hand remaining on the bark of the tree. Then she spoke again, her eyes remaining closed. All other questions had fled her thoughts.

"I am here. What shall I do?"

Morg

Post by Morg »

There were several flickers of silence before a response to Hue's question was forthcoming. Perhaps the tree was taken aback by her willingness to act. In any case, it definitely did take notice of her this time. The voice was like the crackling of dry twigs underfoot.

You must find the Shapers... those who tended us... now scattered as leaves on the wind... three Masters there were... we know not whither they went... but know that all three still live...

The humans who follow the Son know not how to aid us... they know not how to listen... but you are young and may grow.

High above her, the ironwood's branches moved and swayed as they had not moved in months. Help us... for we are dying a death not of the Crone...
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Why did she not hesitate? Was it because this was the first time something mystical had happened to her that was not guided by one of her teachers? Or perhaps because she was eager to find a meaning for her arrival in T'aquar? Either way, Hue listened with steady breath to the voice of the Tree of Shaping, which spoke more clearly now that she had offered her aid.

You must find the Shapers...

You are young and may grow.

This idea of "growing" was one that called to Hue so strongly that she yearned to succeed. Her gaze lifted as the branches swayed, and her breath almost caught at the sight of the tree responding -- to her words. Yet Hue's attitude was always one of humble subservience. She saw this not as a result of her skill, but as a result of her usefulness. She could save the Tree of Shaping.

But it was not all a great romantic notion. Even as her heart tried to leap, Hue stilled herself and spoke steadily.

"I will do what I can, but the Shapers -- or any Adhiel -- why should they believe me? I am young and from distant lands, but I am still Human."

Morg

Post by Morg »

If the bark seems thick, you must peel back the dead flesh to reach the living wood, the tree answered her. We know that this is not easy, and all will resist... but each of the Mother's creations has a living core...

A convulsion ran through the mighty ironwood at that point. Although the movement was only slight, Hue in her attuned state was able to feel the tree shiver from the tips of its branches to its deepest roots. At the same time, another scene assaulted her senses with ferocious vividity.

The trees all around were twisted skeletons, toiling and flinching under the whip of an Oni taskmaster. The sea and the river Levy ran greenish-white with treacly pus, and sickly red flames rose from their surface. The earth below her feet buckled and heaved, spitting up the tortured bodies of adhiel and humans alike every time it ruptured. In the skies above, a Mad God ruled from his throne on high, every now and then reaching down to strike indiscriminately at the scene below with a sceptre of lightning, bellowing with laughter as he did so.

As suddenly as it had arrived, the vision was gone, and the tree's voice(s), quieter now, spoke to her once more.

Have you, too, seen what we suffer?
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue still wondered at the tree's words. It was easy to pull dead bark away from a tree, but to pry the layers of hatred and resentment -- and pain -- away from an angry elf was an entirely different matter.

Yet she did not have long to consider this. For suddenly the tree shivered deeply, and a different scene became visible to her eyes. She did her best to remain standing upright, but the horrible scene before her caused Hue's knees to tremble. It was only when the vision disappeared that Hue realized she had opened her eyes again and covered her mouth with her free hand.

Regaining her composure and lowering her hand, Hue closed her eyes again, though it was hard to tell if she was doing it to keep the world from spinning or to maintain a deeper connection.

"I have seen it. I will do everything I can to stop it."

Morg

Post by Morg »

Then we thank you... Hue...

Try as she might, it was impossible for Hue to maintain a connection with the tree after these words, the great ironwood's spirits withdrawing once more into themselves. Unsurprisingly, perhaps, for it was extremely uncommon for trees to speak to humans, even in the Eastern Empire. With her meditative training, Hue had been able to weather the experience well, but the Tree of Shaping had been hit harder by it.

It was, of course, still there in the physical world. No barrier prevented entry to the dark interior of what had previously been the Library of Runya and the Bhiradun Aidhiquir, where passages opened out in all directions. Free from the structural demands of most human construction, there was no reason for the Tree's layout to conform to expectations of flat floors or straight walls. All around the base of the trunk was a wide area of tufted grass where little else grew, the soil claimed as nourishment for the roots of the mighty ironwood.

"Achla!" A voice was calling to her across this space, and the speaker quickly became clear, striding towards her, though with no great haste. It was a youngish male adhiel about Hue's height, dressed in gleaming black leather armour a little like a beetle's carapace. This darkness was offset by a bright blue tunic like those worn by the market guards, which matched his light blue eyes. He had an expression of professional concern on his face as he approached Hue at the foot of the Tree. "You seem a little lost out here," he spoke. "Were you looking for something in particular?"
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue could feel her connection to the tree slipping away as its message ended. And it was no wonder; the reach had been mutual, of course, and Hue did not have the power to force such a thing -- not that she would, if capable. Yet suddenly Hue felt somewhat alone, her hand falling away from the bark as her eyes gazed emptily inward, through the archway of the tree, neither seeing through the darkness nor trying to. Unsettling Hue was a difficult task, one which few had taken on and none had managed for many years. All that pain... Surely it was ignorance that had cause Nephe'line to say the soldiers weren't all bad. To Hue, it was hardly acceptable to relinquish one's culture and beliefs for the sake of increased trade.

It was only after a few long flickers that Hue realized someone was calling to her. She turned quickly, her braid sailing over her shoulder as she faced the approaching guard. Yet now those guards at the docks meant something entirely different to her, as did this one because he was dressed similarly. Mistrust flared to life in her heart.

"Oh," she said naively, her oddly slanted eyes widening as Hue played the rather convincing part of a clueless foreigner. "I search for my..grandfather," stumbled Hue, letting the words form clumsily around her tongue -- a thick jam of syllables. "I saw big tree. No big trees in my home."

Morg

Post by Morg »

Lopus glanced the exotic-looking human up and down, a dubious expression on his young face. Grandfather? Until the very recent past, Kes'Levy had long been the home of adhiel alone, and the girl in front of him didn't look like she had Adhiel blood... although by her figure and stature it wasn't impossible. She was clearly not a local, though, and so he decided to give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he's a human visitor, too.

"Yes, it's a fine sight, isn't it?" he spoke, with a quick appreciative glance at the massive boughs of the tree above. The pace and intonation of his voice were measured; this watchman had clearly dealt with foreigners before. "We have four like this. The others are even more impressive, you know." He smiled. "People actually live and work in them."

Let's get her away from this place. Whether Luantha's right about the voices or not, there's nothing here but bad memories. Not the best part of town for a pretty girl to play tourist in.

The young adhiel watchman rested a hand on his hip. "Can I help you find your grandfather?" he asked. "Were you given any... directions?"
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue wanted to wince when she saw the guard glance at the tree and then away. They really didn't know, did they? Why didn't the tree tell an Adhiel? Had they not tried to listen?

She shook her head honestly enough when the guard asked for directions. "No. He said close, at docks. I get distracted." She gave a small shrug and an even smaller smile, wishing the guard would leave her be so she could think. But maybe he knew something that could help her? Perhaps their paths had crossed for a reason.

A brief pause, then:

"What happened to Shapers? Anyone knows?"

She asked this as she began walking back in the direction of the docks, expecting the guard to follow her. She truly did wish to find An.

Morg

Post by Morg »

"Well, let's get you back to the docks, then," the watchman stated, falling into step with her as they began to walk northward. He seemed totally taken in by Hue's 'act' - unsurprisingly, as it was not a difficult role for her to slip into.

Her next question came as a surprise, though. "The Shapers?" Now why would you be interested in that? "Well, they used to live in that big tree you saw. In fact, they were responsible for looking after all of this." He gestured to the trees, and to the nearby River Levy. "But when the humans... the Westerners, that is... When they came, the Shapers' School was closed down. Shaping itself was outlawed. So a lot of the students just gave it up." Or else were arrested and "convinced" not to continue. "The Masters... well... one of them, Jallin, left as soon as the Western army arrived. He didn't say where he was going, just that he needed to go back to the source. Whatever that means. As for the others..."

He seemed to be on the point of saying something more, but then, suddenly, fell silent, his eyebrows narrowed slightly above his blue eyes. He continued to walk, but his attitude was warier now. "So why do you want to know, achla?"
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Back to the source. That sounds like the forest. It seemed the signs kept pointing toward those treacherous trees. Would she even be able to speak before she was shot?

"Oh," Hue said softly, turning her eyes toward the guard for a moment. "I come from Eastern Empire, far across the seas. I hear stories about wise Adhiel and how they move trees. I thought to learn. But now it is a bad thing?"

She looked a bit disappointed, and that wasn't entirely part of the act. The Western world was in more of a disarray than she had anticipated.

Morg

Post by Morg »

Lopus sighed as he walked. "Yes, now it's a bad thing." He didn't sound irritated by the question, just dismayed by what he was having to relate. "The Westerners tend to distrust magick they don't understand. So rather than trying to understand it, they simply prohibit it. The Oneist priests are trying to take on the role of the Shapers, but they don't know how..."

He was interrupted by another adhiel, a woman this time, who jogged over to him as soon as she saw him. She wore the same sky-blue tunic, and addressed him deferentially in Adhiel too hurried for Hue to make out. The words had an immediate effect on the black-armoured adhiel, though, as he turned to Hue with a slight frown on his face. "I think perhaps we have found your grandfather." With this he lengthened his stride as they marched towards the docks. It would not be difficult for Hue to keep up, since the two were of similar height.

The scene at their destination was one of frayed tempers. A dark-haired male adhiel in sky-blue was arguing in Common with two tall human men in military apparel, and at their feet was sprawled another human. Young and wiry, and scrappily dressed, this boy appeared to be sleeping peacefully. Nearby, standing calmly with his hands clasped in front of him, was An.

"Captain Lopus!" the shorter of the humans called angrily in Common when he saw him. "We need to talk. Your Skywatch friends found this man unconscious on the ground. They say that this scrawny old elf here confesses to the assault!" He gestured at An.

"That is not strictly correct," responded the dark-haired adhiel watchman coldly, again in Common. "The daini stated that this young human attempted to steal his possessions while he was meditating. Whatever he did, it was in self defence."

"Oh, and what a coincidence! You believe his story," the human shot back. "No doubt without a scrap of evidence. You damn adhiel are always sticking up for one another. We need to take him back to the stockade while we straighten this out..."

"Where, no doubt, he will be subjected to your very human brand of hospitality," the dark-haired watchman retorted, his lip curling.

"That's enough, Eoghain," Lopus stated, firmly but warningly. However, he said no more. For the flicker he seemed unsure what to do.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue listened closely while her gaze wandered emptily about them -- until something caught her attention. At first she simply assumed he had been called to duty. The Adhiel woman who spoke to him did so at such a speed that Hue's interpretations were left whirling. How in the name of the Dragon Empress could they speak that quickly??

"I think perhaps we have found your grandfather."

Oh, no.

Hue was all business at once. Her strides lengthened to match the soldier's without hesitation, her braid lashing along behind her hurried steps. Oh no, what has happened? Did he get lost? Did someone hurt him? Did he use the gifts bestowed upon him by the kami? But they will think that is magic! Her thoughts were a torrent of fear, but her features remained grim. This was bad.

Yet the scene wasn't nearly as gruesome as Hue had come to imagine by the time they got there. In fact, An hadn't sprouted dragon wings at all. She was almost disappointed.

The first round of accusations didn't sound good at all, from what Hue could make out. She was versed even less in Common than in Adhiel, but spending time with the foreigners in the Empire had given her a slight edge. However, Hue didn't need to speak their language to see what was plain as day: the Humans and the Adhiel were angry. The resolution of this conflict would mean victory for one side -- but it would mean the other side had to concede as well. This would not happen peaceably without...

She took a deep breath. Her eyes closed for what seemed to be the briefest flicker. Hush, she told her fluttering heart. Calm, she told the blood rushing through her veins. Quiet, she told her rushing thoughts. Be still. In her mind, she became as smooth and undisturbed as a silent pool of water.

The kami of the air are everywhere. Hue had learned this not long before her departure. She could see them if she willed, but one did not need to see the kami to feel them. Oh great kami, please hear the prayer of your devoted servant. Clarity of thought requires clarity of mind, and these minds are too troubled for deliberation. Please soothe their fears and quiet their anger so that they might see that with your aid, all things will come to balance.

Her breath exhaled slowly, like a warm breeze. Not with her mind, but with her spirit, she pushed her aura outward, hoping that it might calm them -- just a little.

"I am sorry if we cause trouble," Hue said after what seemed to be a few flickers of stunned silence. Her tones were light and delicate as her tongue worked itself around the foreign vowels and sounds. Hue's hands folded at her chest as she bowed deeply to the guards present. "I am Ly Binh Hue, and this grandfather, An. I leave him here to meditate while I walk. If he say boy 'attempted to steal his possessions,' he does not lie. An take vow not to lie."

Hue didn't say a word to An, for she didn't question his story for even a flicker. An would never lie, fake vow or not.

Morg

Post by Morg »

The kami of Kes'Levy were only too willing to acquiesce to Hue's request. Overflowing with the energy of peace, it was a simple matter to spread the aura to the others in the vicinity, and the effects were immediate and dramatic.

The human soldier who had been doing all the talking let out a long sigh. "Fine. Let's just get to the bottom of this," he spoke, rolling his eyes, and addressed An, speaking in Common but very slowly. "So - what - did - you - do - to - him?"

"I use Shato Kai sleep hold," An replied clumsily. "Not harm. He awake in few flickers."

An was the only one present who seemed unaffected by Hue and the kami's intervention. His personal sphere of serenity was the same as it had ever been. The adhiel watchman Eoghain, on the other hand, had completely lost his confrontational demeanour, his pupils visibly dilated. It was Lopus who spoke next.

"I'd like to suggest a compromise," he stated. "It was the Skywatch who discovered this incident, so it makes sense for us to take these two in for questioning." He gestured to Hue and An, and then to the "thief", who was already beginning to stir. "But this young man is a Western citizen, and we don't want any trouble with your Captain. So how about we hand him over to you? I'm sure you can... figure out his real intentions."

The two humans nodded slowly. "That seems reasonable," said the shorter of the two, while the taller moved to restrain the scrappily dressed young man, who was dazedly trying to scramble away from An.

"We can avoid any... diplomatic troubles," Eoghain put in.

The situation appeared to have been defused, at least in the short term.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue was pleasantly surprised at how quickly and effectively the kami responded to her request. Though her features did not change as she watched pupils dilate and tense forms relax, she was beaming on the inside. Thank you, great kami. I am humbled.

The Eastern girl did allow herself a smile when Eoghain and the others reached a more peaceable agreement. She only hoped that their frustration at not being able to defy each other would not be taken out on the prisoners. Don't think that way! "Thank you," Hue said suddenly, bowing again to all present. "Diplomacy is honored in Eastern Empire." Then, she turned toward the humans and bowed her head in another sign of respect. "Please be good to boy, he do no wrong. An catch him before he steal." Her smile widened reassuringly at the boy before she turned back to Captain Lopus.

"Hue and grandfather An ready for questioning."

Well, she wouldn't be running into the forest today, but Hue could accept that. There was urgency in the request of the Tree of Shaping, but getting herself thrown into whatever sort of custody they used here would not help anyone or anything. As always, Hue trusted that the path she walked would eventually lead her where she needed to go, as long as she watched where her feet were walking and trusted in the kami -- as well as her own good sense.

Morg

Post by Morg »

The supposed thief met Hue's smile with a surly frown. "I wasn't about to steal anything," he protested, but he didn't press the issue. He meekly allowed his hands to be bound behind his back and was led off by the two humans.

"I don't see any great need to bind the two of you," Lopus addressed the Easterners in Adhiel. "If we stay calm about this, I'm sure this will be over with quickly. For what it's worth, I believe you." A brief smile flickered over his handsome face. "But you had better return to the Tree of the Skywatch with us. Eoghain! Lleorith! Ibh seodhabh ach." He beckoned the two blue-cloaked adhiel to follow him.

Like the Tree of Shaping, the Tree of the Skywatch was another of the four great ironwoods around which the rest of Kes'Levy was structured. Lopus led Hue and An through the portal, where two more Skywatch adhiel guards were stationed, and up a winding staircase within the living tree. There were no doors within the tree, only curtains of leaves and vines, and through these it was possible to glimpse dormitories and training rooms. Unlike the Tree of Shaping, this ironwood had not been completely abandoned, but it was nevertheless clear that the fortress-tree was at present host to only a tiny fraction of its full capacity.

The Skywatch captain led them to a relatively plain chamber high in the tree. Through the round 'window-holes', the river Levy could be seen far below. Long benches lined the curving walls, and Lopus indicated that they should sit, delivering quiet instructions to Lleorith, who vanished like mist.

"We should start with what you're doing here," Lopus spoke eventually, glancing at An. He took a seat opposite Hue, while Eoghain remained standing at the door. "Easterners are not a common sight here. Your... granddaughter says she is here to learn about Shaping. Is this what you're here for, as well?"

An nodded almost imperceptibly. "Hue Em speaks for both of us," he replied. "We are travelling scholars, people of nature. We travel to learn."

"You picked a bad time," Lopus muttered reflexively, before justifying himself. "T'aquar is a land in upheaval - despite our efforts, it is not a safe place for outsiders to visit. Kes'Levy is torn between two peoples, and for both sides, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." He frowned. "Much as I'd like to believe otherwise, if you stay here, then I'm afraid you won't be safe. We can't spare tuirdhiel to protect you all the time."

The young adhiel captain turned his light blue eyes upon Hue. "So the next question is: what do you plan to do next?"
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue smiled back at Lopus without hesitation, happy that someone was finally on her side. Inwardly, she wondered if she could talk to Lopus about what the Tree of Shaping had said to her. Could she trust him? Hue badly needed someone in T'aquar to think well of her; for now she was just a strange foreigner, poking her nose in where it didn't belong. She could sense the hostility in the air in some places. It was almost tangible.

She was all senses when they entered the Tree of the Skywatch, her small nostrils flaring slightly as she took in the smells. Her fingertips brushed along the inside of the tree's bark, more gently over curtains of vines, and she turned her head this way and that to see as much as she could. Was this tree suffering too? It had to be. Why did it not cry out to the Adhiel within?

Sitting, Hue was less than surprised to hear Lopus pose the same question to An. What are you doing here? Everyone always wanted to know that. Hue had told only part of the truth each time. She could only imagine the reaction she would get if she told the whole truth. ("Oh, and also I came here because the kami made my spirit restless so that I would leave the Eastern empire. It was even in the ocean, you see...") No, that wouldn't work well at all. Hue could tell that much the moment she first echanged words with that Adhiel on the dock.

Tearing herself from her thoughts, Hue listened closely to Lopus, nodding gently -- and perhaps a little sadly. She was glad, however, that they had returned to Adhiel. "There is anger everywhere, no peace. It feels like all your city is waiting for next battle. But we are not defenseless." A reassuring smile was given, ere she glanced back at Eoghain, wondering just how long that calming aura had lasted.

A few brief flickers passed after Lopus asked her what her plans were. Here it was. Did she tell him? But Eoghain was right there, what if he couldn't be trusted? So much caution..

"Captain Lopus," she said softly, looking back to the handsome Adhiel, "do you follow Dominicus?"

Morg

Post by Morg »

At the doorway, Eoghain stirred. "We're the ones asking the questions," the dark-haired adhiel uttered in warning.

Lopus, however, glanced from An to Eoghain, and then back to Hue. "No, I don't," he replied simply to her question. "Neither of us do." With the cat out of the bag, Eoghain's posture relaxed somewhat. "The Westerners are trying to convert us. Father Moreau at the Apostolic Institute genuinely believes that we can be turned from our ancestral ways. He is a good man, and a persuasive one. But..." His eyebrows narrowed.

"I was there at Godspeak," he said, making an effort to keep his voice level. "I watched the Mad God slaughter my friends, and turn the desert to glass. It's not something I can ignore, or forget." After these few terse statements, his expression softened, and he waited for an answer to his earlier question.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue seemed to relax, much like Eoghain, when Lopus eased her fears. She didn't even think to question him; why would he lie to her? A small nod was given to Lopus' words even as Hue reformed her own thoughts, trying to figure out how to say it best.

"The Tree of Shaping is not dead," she said finally, her dark eyes focusing intently on Lopus'. She didn't even blink as she continued. "It spoke to me, and showed me the suffering of your lands. Such an agony I have never felt before."

She glanced to An. This was his first time hearing this as well. She wondered what he would think -- and for that matter, what their Adhiel companions would think.

"I promised to find the Masters of Shaping. I believe one of them is in the deep woods, so that is where I will begin."

Morg

Post by Morg »

Lopus listened, eyes straying embarrassedly away from Hue's intent gaze for a flicker before returning to meet it, his visage growing more serious again with every word. So you've heard the voices, too. Luantha's not mad after all. It's a sign of the times that they choose to speak to an outsider, a new arrival. Perhaps the adhiel of Kes'Levy had become so inured to pain that they could no longer sense it in the life around them.

Whatever An thought, he gave little away. Even while he had been accused of assault, he had remained centred and serene. If his eyes said anything, it was a silent hint that we will speak of this later.

"You won't be safe if you travel there by yourselves," Lopus answered immediately. "The... freedom fighters have grown suspicious of all those not their own. They might as soon put an arrow through your eye as greet you, if you overstep their hidden bounds. But..." For a few flickers he appeared to be struggling with himself.

"If you wish, I can take you to them," he said eventually, in a low voice, and Eoghain's dark, untrusting liquid eyes widened. "I have contacts among the renegades. If they accept you, you will be safer there than here. But I must have your word that you will not speak of this to anyone. If the Westerners find out that I have such contacts, it would mean my death, and maybe even yours."

Sweet Matron Mother, why am I doing this? he asked himself But Lopus liked the strange, intense Eastern girl, although he wasn't sure why. And although taking them to the Evergreen would be a risk, once they were there it would be no more dangerous than the streets of Kes'Levy, the city torn between two worlds.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue was about to tell the captain that she was more than willing to risk her life, because the kami had led her here and to the tree and of course she was meant to find the masters and help, but her words never left her mouth. Instead they caught themselves in her throat as Lopus offered to take her to the elves himself. Her eyes widened simultaneously with Eoghain's, though there was nothing but shock and happiness in hers.

"Of course," she said almost breathlessly, a deceptively small smile pulling at her lips. She wanted to leap up and hug the captain, but that would be improper in several different ways. Sometimes Hue envied the way An could hide everything so well.

Oh! I haven't asked An's permission for any of this... But why should she need his permission? It was the kami whom had brought her thus far. It was the kami she would continue to follow.

"I will not tell anyone, captain. Thank you."

Return to “Terra West”