The Harbour (Entrance thread)

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

The Harbour (Entrance thread)

Post by Maeve »

The port of the citadel was clearly added later, after the ancient ones finished building the city. It forms a small section just outside the citadel with docks and warehouses dominating its looks. There also are several shipping wharfs. This port is the main port of the entire Empire, hence all tradehouses have their headquarters here.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Samheen 5th, late tradetide

Amidst great protestations of the trade houses the Purple Guard officially closed the harbor on the direct orders of the Ceasar. A large iron chain was hung over the watery entrance of the port, denying all ships entry.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Samheen 7th

On the occassion of the debutant ball at the palace the harbor authorities re-opened the harbor.
Dugar O'Mara

Post by Dugar O'Mara »

A tall scruffy looking half elf stumbled off a merchant vessel. He paused for a bit waiting for his balance and looked around. This city sure is different from Dort. At least I won't have trouble finding a wizard, he thought as he noticed the gigantic tower peering over the city walls. Dugar's wearing dirty green canvas breeches, a short sleeved shirt, boots, and has a small sheath with a weapon strapped to his leg. He does not appear to be carrying a purse, although it could be in his backpack. Plenty of guards around. I hope they don't bother me. Without much more thought he started briskly walking toward the city gates. He kept his eyes on the ground, hoping not to attract any attention.
Last edited by Dugar O'Mara on Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The gates were manned by two elderly soldiers, who looked like they had a rough night. The men were softly speaking in urgent tones, but not loud enough for Dugar to hear. They suddenly noticed him. The left one stepped forward and demanded "I need to know your business in the Citadel, and your name of course."
Dugar O'Mara

Post by Dugar O'Mara »

Drat, Dugar had hoped of not leaving a trail but he saw no way around it now. He did not feel comfortable enough at lying to lie to a guard, so he answered truthfully, "I have come to the Citadel to learn. My name is Dugar O'Mara." He did not want to have to expand on why he was there so he followed it up with, "You gents look as if ye have had a bad day, is there anything I can do to help?" Dugar had no intention of helping the guards, but he doubted they would accept his offer.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The soldier spit on the ground "Nah, tis nothing, citizen. These are busy and dangerous times in the Citadel. There is treason afoot they say, and panlings be behind it all!"

The guard on the right stepped to a ledger and scribbled something on a piece of parchement "Your permit master O'Mara. We recommend the Burpin Dragon as a good place to find lodgings. Are you familiar in the Citadel?"
Dugar O'Mara

Post by Dugar O'Mara »

Dugar paused because he was intrigued by the guards news.It'd take someone very cunning to get a city on edge, it's too bad I didn't come here sooner I may have been able to learn from a master, he thought. With a sorrow tone he spoke, "That is too bad, I hope it ends well."

Dugar accepted the parchment with a nod and then stuffed it in his backpack. "I am not familiar with the Citadel, would you point me in the direction of the inn?" Dugar did not intend to go there, he was just trying to avoid suspicion.

ooc: My character does not seem to know that UoM doesn't teach mindcraft. If he showed up there would he find the door locked or something? I could then proceed to the inn.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The soldiers gave him very clear instructions to the location of the Burpin Dragon. It was not in the most posh environments, ensuring it was not the most expensive joint. Then they handed him the permit allowing him access.

OOC: mindcraft is not a very well known application. He might receive some frowns at the UoM, and then perhaps later a discreet pointer in the right way. Might I suggest you to go to the BD from here, and visit the UoM when you are refreshed?
Dugar O'Mara

Post by Dugar O'Mara »

Dugar accepted the parchment with a nod and then stuffed it in his backpack. He proceded to walk past the guards then spoke, "Good day to you gentlemen" without bothering to stop or turn his head. He had a smug look on his face, and was obviously pleased with how that went. It was then Dugar's tummy growled. He rolled his eyes and groaned, maybe I'll head to that inn afterall.

The young swindler continued walking, now following the directions the guards had given him.
E`laith Mithan`aranoun

Post by E`laith Mithan`aranoun »

It was the grand, if privately celebrated, arrival for E`laith. He'd spent days being lobbed back and forth over sea, lending prayer after to prayer to the Arda Atara for safe passage out of Tel`Aranae Quessir. Elation wasn't the word to describe it when he had finally caught sight of the harbor; the rocky ramparts of Citadel and the hopeful promise of a new beginning. Homesickness was still a distant threat, and though he longed for an elvish wine, a tale from his brother, or maybe a lecture of archaeological method from a friend of the families, he still managed to beat the cool weather with a smile upon the passenger ships docking. He had a great deal of luggage to haul, virtually his lifes posessions and a meager remaining of currency. Perhaps he'd spent too much, however, first impressions and flair counted for something. The elf was dressed as a rose with fanciful silks, leather doublet, and azure-hued robe.

He looked the part of a scintillate paragon with all omens pointing to an astute and meticulously postured elf. His narrow eyes swallowed the atmosphere greedily. Long had he heard tale of the Universitas of the arcane. Many friends had discouraged him from leaving the motherland of Tel`Aranae Quessir, and to learn magic from the Isles of all places. "Why?", they would ask but ultimately it was for personal enrichment. He wanted to cultivate fame from the outside, and use it to gain real leverage in the elfhome. He wanted to be unexpected and enigmatic to his kin when they day came that he would return to his ancestral holdings. For now, he wanted to settle in and make a home till his studies were honed.

When the plank was thrown he bid his farewells and shouldered the bulk of his lauguage, carrying the rest in his arms while making his way toward the docks.

It didn't take keen elvish sight to notice the Purple Guard up ahead. "Fare eveningtide to you," he flashed a cool smile, twisting coral tiers across sharp features to further paint the picture of a sleek and youthful elf stricken with wanderlust.

"I've come to settle a residence here, and commit myself to an extended period of study in magic and the balance of primeval energies." He re-adjusted his shoulder, huffing abit; no doubt the load was a burden so he didn't want to warrant a reason to linger around too long.

"I'm looking for a good place to settle in for a few days, until I can make something of a home for myself." He was glad to state his business for he hadn't anything grave to hide - quite the opposite - he hoped his obviousness would guide him in the directions necessary to find a place to stay, a potential long-term residence afterwards, the University of Magick, and maybe a job. He'd let fate sort out what it could and merely smiled with the passing thoughts.

"You know of where I could find this?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

" Well if yer after magic learning, the University is the best place to start friend, or you can try and look for some independant mage looking to earn some extra cash........ however, best stick to the University.... them mages know what they're doing. ", the guard rubbed his forehead. " As for accomodation...... best ask around, especially in the bars and what not, always something to be told and heard in them places......... eh.... ", the guard took up a pen and parchment. " If yi give me yer name friend, you can pass on through the harbour..... "
E`laith Mithan`aranoun

E`laith bit his lip but did well to hide the fact his resources were running very thin. He might as well be poor, having only around two-hundred-something banner left after foolish expenditures on his part. When the guard asked his name he politely dipped his head in a cordial bow, "E`laith Mithan`aranoun. Just a traveling elf looking to carve out a life in this realm." Both his smile and his voice were pleasant; a tone when he spoke that rang of the ancient elvar, while his smile seemed to pacify the suns light in pearled canines.

"I don't think my luck will carry well with a private mage. What of the University of Magicks? They train battlemages, correct? Mayhaps they'd need a young student to enlist in their forces?" He asked the question more to himself then the guard. His mindset was attempting to rationalize the possibility of being stranded in Citadel now. -No- he thought, -I'll manage so long as I can cling to the hope of a job- the very thought made his lips bend in a frown. Through musing silently, he tilted his eyes up, then gave a warm grin to the guard.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

" Aye Battle Mages alright........ some of the best have come out of that place, or so I've heard, never really seen one of em myself. You can always try yer luck, not sure if their taking in students at present, but go up and ask..... ", he noted down the name, and raised his head once more. " Righty ho, yi can pass by now friend, good luck with your training........ "
E`laith Mithan`aranoun

E`laith conceeded to the guards logic with a nod. His lips twisted in a playful smile, and with a slow, sweeping bow he excused himself from the conversation and started for the city environs. "Many thanks, I think I'll find my way from here on out. Fair day to you." With fleet steps he glided through the gate corridoors, and plunged into the city fold. His head was airy, and his eyes appearing much brighter. The commerce of life felt like it was opening up before him; he had to open his arms to catch the voices that floated through his body like wind. Thoughts of actually settling into service with the mages, and perhaps exploring the island a little more never sounded so appealing. Things were indeed looking up, but he braced himself with the doubt that it may not come to pass, and the mages may very well have no need.

Post by Guest »

The moist sea air tousled the golden hair of the lone maiden, standing near the docks of the Citadel, leading strands to tie themselves in knots. She rocked gently as if still on the boat her eyes lingered on. Even as it dissolved into the horizon her face revealed that she wished she was on it once more.

Airedell Rimlock, a tall half elf, waved her right arm in long fluid movements high above her head letting the sun reflect off her new gold ring. She hoped that from the boat her father could see it sparkle. She let out a sigh as her hand dropped to the side of her loose fitting dress. Looking down at her feet she stopped rocking but shifted her feet in the sand. She couldn't help but smile at having firm ground under her feet again. Spending time with her father was the only thing she enjoyed about the trip. I hope I never have to get on another boat again.

Finally, she turned her back to the sea to look upon her new suroundings. Glancing around, she wasn't sure what to do next. The men guarding the entrance to the city wasn't the welome that she had hoped for. On the contrary, through instinct her jaw clinched and her backbone stiffened drawing her to her full height. No, don't start like this, she thought. Relax. Shaking off the defense mode males tended to put her in she stretched out her muscles so she could calm down but also react quickly should they try something.

Taking a deep breath she picked up her satchel and started walking as she placed it on her shoulder. She decided to let them speak first. It was never a good idea to start off on the wrong foot when you don't know what your stepping on.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Standing at the gates were two guards. They both looked tired, but wary. The younger of the two stood up from his chair and nodded. "Welcome. I need to know why you are here and what your name is." The other guard eyed the newcomer with little interest. People came and went from ships all the time.
Last edited by Swallow on Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Airedell sighed inwardly. This is a good sign. At least he welcomed me. She approached the men with her manner exuding a bit more warmth. She was aware of the older one's glance which she thought could have been distaste but she could see the bags under his eyes and decided he was merely exhausted.

"My name is Airedell Rimlock. I have come here to make a living as a bard. I was told this was a good place to start." Normally her voice was warm and clear but seasickness distorted it to sounding raspy and thin. Slightly embarrassed she cleared her throat but it didn't help. "This isn't the way I usually sound, I assure you. If it was I would have made a vow of silence. Perhaps you could tell me where I could get something to sooth my throat?" She was planning to keep it at that but her curiosity got the best of her. "What happened to cause your energy to leave you? Has it just been a long watch?"
Last edited by Guest on Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Despite Airedell's attempts to be friendly, the guards watched her warily. The one who had approached her nodded, "A bard, ehh? You have come to the right place. We have a Bard's college and they are givin classes." The guard chuckled wearily at Airedell's joke and took out a pen and some parchment. He wrote something on the parchment and handed it to Airedell. "Don't be loosing that." The guard smiled slightly, "I would recommend our inn, the Burping Dragon for some place to stay and some food to eat. You might eve' be finding something for your throat." The guard frowned and looked up at Airedell, "I hope you not be carrying some sickness into the city."

The guards looked at each other and then back to Airedell. "No, our shifts are reasonable." The younger guard shifted uncomfortably. "You'll be needing directions?"

Post by Guest »

OOC: What tide is this?

IC: "What is this for?" Airedell asked. She took the parchment and started to read it but smartly looked up to see his reaction.

As she listened to the guard speak she noticed that they did seem on edge about something. Did it have something to do with her inquiry on the watch? Maybe it was just her, after all she had no idea how half elves were treated here.

Refusing to get lost in her thoughts Airedell answered their questions. "It's just my throat. I had a bad case of seasickness but nothing more. And yes, directions would be helpful. Thank you." Before she took her leave she asked if they could tell the latest news of the city hoping that would tell her what they were anxious about.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Timestamp: Samheen 11th, Tradetide

The younger guard's eyebrows rose slightly as Airedell attempted to read the piece of paper. "You know how to read?" He shook his head and let out a quick laugh, "Either way, my handwriting is hard to see."

The guard closer to Airedell gave her directions to the tavern he had been speaking of before. "A great place... really." The guard smiled dreamily, clearly wanting to be there instead of at the quiet gate. "Happening? Nothing." The guard snapped out of his dreamy state and stared down at Airedell, waiting for her to leave.

The cold seemed to be getting to both of the guards. They stared up into the sky from time to time and shivered. "Hurry."

OOC: Very nice, your best bet is to visit the tavern as you can interact with other people. In addition, mods are slightly scarce so going to big places is important.
Last edited by Swallow on Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The feeling that the earth itself had taken over the rocking motion of the ships deck was not gone yet, as the young, blond barbarian from Trothgard made his way to the gate. He gazed around in wonder. The world outside Trothgard was different indeed. And hot. And the people were smaller he noticed. But then, he hadn’t seen that many people yet. Perhaps the sailors on the ship that brought him here were just smaller by chance.
In a sudden ruse he had agreed on filling a part of the gap the storm had left amongst the crew. He had helped to unload the ship, back home in Trothgard, being ordered to do so, by one of the women in charge of the landing dock. For a moment, the memory about the event that started his journey re-appeared in his mind.
“Where are you going to next?” he had asked.
“We travel to Capital, the center of the world” spoke the captain. “That is, of we can buy enough of your crystals, and if weather is permitting.”
“Your ship looks damaged.”
“Aye, it was a nasty storm. We can repair the damage, but I lost two crew members.”
It was a ship full of men. No women in charge. The Trothlander became curious.
“I can sail,” he had said.
Those words had started it all. And now he was here. Walking between buildings that were bigger than any man made construction he had seen on Trothgard. A curious glance inside told him that they were used to store goods. What? So many of them? This Citadel must be even bigger then he ever expected.
Finally he noticed that there were armed men waiting at the gates. Where they waiting for him? Would they allow him in? A bit nervous he touched the hippogryph feather that he wore on the left side of his head. They would know that a Waelkyrige was a man you could trust, wouldn’t they?
‘But most of the sailors on the ship had never heard of your clan either’ said a small voice in his head.
He would know soon. They had obviously seen him.

OOC: Timestamp??
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Timestamp: Samheen 11th, Tradetide

The two guards looked up and nodded towards Sfein. The older one stepped towards Sfein while the younger one remained at his post. "Welcome, traveler. I'll be needin your name and why you are here." He picked up some parchment and waited patiently.

The younger guard watched Sfein curiously, one hand over his sword. He looked cautious and uncomfortable. The chilly wind hit unexpectedly and the younger guard flinched. Few noises could be heard except from mutterings on the dock and several sharp cries of, "hurry up!"

OOC: Please read the OOC thread.
Last edited by Swallow on Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The tall Trothgarder drank the unfamiliar sights and sounds as were they golden honey sweeted Trothgarder beer. Take these warriors at the gate, with their exotic uniforms! He should draw all of this; create pictures to take home.
“My name is Sfein so’Waelkyrige.”
He added, “I am from Trothgard”
As if they could not see that. His size, the blond hair and those piercing blue eyes.
“I guess that you might call me a sailor mercenary, but I will take any job that won’t smudge the honour of my Clan… however there is supposed to be one thing here in particular that I would like to see with my own eyes….”
Here he paused; saw the waiting faces of the two guardsmen.
“The thing that storyteller called a libary”
He was not aware of his mispronunciation.
“According to his stories – there is a place here with rows and rows of books, enough to fill several walls!!”
“Hé hé hé” he laughed, shaking his youthful head full disbelief.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

The guards looked at Sfein with clear anxiety. When he proclaimed that he was from Trothgard, they shifted and seemed to watch him even more.

The wind hit, a cold reminder of hurrying up. The guard closest to Sfein nodded and picked up a piece of parchment, scrawling something on it. "From Trothguard? I see. Yes, there is a library." He nodded and finished writing on the parchment.

The guard handed the slip to Sfein. "Don't loose it, Master... Do you need any directions?"

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”