Browsing the Isle: Aden

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The bucket proved not hard to find at all, sitting right next to his feet nearly tripping him. Outside, the streets were busy with folks hurrying to and fro on their way to do business or on their way home. The pump sitting right in front of the smithy was not difficult to find either. A barrel sat under the spout but barely held a hands breadth of water now, certainly not enough to fill the bucket even if Aden could manage to scoop it all up.

A horse stood nearby that someone had left untethered. It lowered a wet nose into the barrel and slurped thirstily producing loud sucking noises. A cloud drifted by overhead, temporarily shading the young elf from the heat of the summer sun.

Inside he could hear the smith bellowing for Aden to hurry before he ruined everything.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden patted the horse on the side of the neck as he tried to push it away from the barrel. The young man then proceeded to pump water into the large vessel beneath it, trying to move as quickly as possible. As he continued, he suddenly came to his senses as the compulsion faded.

He wasn't sure why he was pumping water for a moment, until he saw the bucket in his hand and heard the familiar commanding voice once more. Somehow, though, now that the voice was distant and he had a moment to think, he wasn't at all certain that he desired to obey (for he knew at once that it was Hamsy, once he stepped back from his thoughts a bit).

He filled the bucket with water, twirling it thoughtfully in his hands and observing his own broken reflection. He imagined he could hear his mother's voice, telling him what an honor it would be to be apprenticed to Hamsy, of how much better it was than farming. But he knew that this was a lie even before she had finished explaining. Farming was creating with your hands- a special relationship between man and nature. What of smithing? Forcing and striking, with none of the gentle subtlety of agriculture.

No, he thought with finality. This is not what I want. I don't desire to become a worker of steel, a forger of arms and tools. There is something more meant for me... I know it... Aden dropped the bucket of water in the doorway, his eyes latching their sight upon that familiar dream from his childhood.

Almost as an afterthought, he picked up the bucket of water, taking it over to the horse, and setting it before the beast, he nodded curtly to it. With a last look at the building he had exited. His mental compass carried no direction except for one: Away.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Nothing changed. Organized chaos still churned in the busy streets as people hurried from one place to another as the horse drank noisily from the bucket of clean water. As Aden walked off, he heard the weapons smith hollering.

"Aden, where d'ya go boy? Yer blade is goin' ta warp and we'll have ta start all over. Hurry now," his billowing voice faded as the young man moved away from the smithy.

Behind him, he heard the plodding of heavy feet. "Thank you! Can I help you?" Clearly a work horse, the large chestnut brown horse was sturdy and well muscled.

"Oh, forgive me," he shook his head, dark brown mane creating a small cloud of dust. "I am called Buster," he announced as he plodded along after Aden.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"No thanks, I'm fine..." Aden began without turning his gaze from his path. At the unusual plodding sound, Aden turned slightly. He almost immediately turned back, his eyes fixed intensely forward. Had anyone looked, they would have seen a desperation, an almost frantic man, his eyes focused upon nothing but the path ahead.

Aden clung to the fragile reality that was slowly breaking away with every passing moment. But that did not change anything. Wherever his reality had slipped to, it was not coming back to him, no matter how hard he tried to walk away from it. He felt a tear form within his eye. But the moisture and blurring didn't change anything either.

The horse is talking to me.

No. I am imagining things. This is not real. None of it- it can't be. Just keep walking because it's the Right Thing To Do.

No. The horse is talking to me. Where are my manners? Rudeness is most unbecoming.

Indeed. What was I thinking? It's a HORSE. Of course I should TALK TO IT.

"Well hello Buster... I am called Aden. I hope you are well?" Aden rattled off the response quickly, as though this was an everyday occurance. His tone was almost spiteful, although the emotion was directed inward, not toward the creature behind him. He stopped walking. "The only thing I could use help with is getting away from here... could you help me with that, horse?"

Desperation makes a man do strange things. Talking to horses isn't so bad- especially if they can get me back to my own where and when, Aden thought. He didn't have time to second guess himself.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"I am well enough," Buster began before tossing it's head back suddenly to chase a fly off it's side, a place his tail didn't reach.

"Pan be gone! Stupid flies," the horse shook its dark main again raising another cloud of dust around his head.

"You want to leave here? Why is that, Aden? You only just got here. But of course, being a horse, I can take you somewhere else. Where is it you wish to go precisely?" the horse asked, pulling its lips back in what grotesquely resembled a smile.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I have to leave, Buster," Aden stated simply, as if it were a fact. "This place isn't my home- it's not where I want to be. My curiousity seems to have payed off in a terrible manner. I don't know where I am- or even when I am, at this point." His mind was troubled, and admittedly, the horse was the only person he felt he could talk to at this point.

"If you could take me to Pan's Isle, Samheen 4, of the year 1224, it would be a nice bit of help- but I'm not certain that even a horse such as you, what with the talking, could cross the ocean and speed through time."

He reflected momentarily. "It's almost as if it is a path, as Kelsie suggested. But what a tangled one it is- the clues are all there, but only subtly. Conversations remembered, but different- or just incompletely remembered." He sighed. "It's rubbish, garbage, and idiocy. But I can't argue with it- I mean, if a horse can speak, then I suppose anything is possible." He halted Buster gently- not wanting to pull to harshly, lest the beast be startled by the sudden change in trajectory.

"Come on, Buster- I've apparently got a sword to forge. For whatever reason, this is what I need to do. Or so I can hope." He sighed deeply- one of true resignation to what fate had in store for him.

He approached the shop slowly, hoping that Hamsey wouldn't be too upset with his behavior of late. He slowly picked up the bucket of water, and told Buster to wait here- he hoped he would be back outside soon. Taking a moment to gather himself, he strode up the steps to the shop and walked within calling loudly, "Hamsey? Is everything alright? I was just returning this horse here to its proper owner... but then I realized that I didn't know whose horse it was, exactly!" He laughed nervously.

It was a lie, yes- but not a large one. He just prayed that maybe Hamsey wouldn't lecture him too severely for his actions. He also hoped that this sword that Hamsey had mentioned would still be there- and not be destroyed beyond recognition.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Strangely quiet, at least for a horse that had talked to him, the horse simply listened intently while the young man made up his own mind and led him back to the smithy. Dropping his head into the trough, the horse snorted and drank while the young man went back inside.

Pulling the length of steel out of the furnace, it glowing white hot, he moved it to his anvil and began to tap the edges with his hammar. Frowning at the sound of the returning apprentice, the burly man shook his head.

"Yer a good lad, Aden but ya've got ta learn ta stay focused son. If yer distracted at the wrong moment, all yer hard work could go to waste and ya'd have ta start o'er again. But," he sighed heavily. "I suppose 'tis a lesson all young smiths have ta learn the hard way," he smiled at the young man. "I remember doing so myself," he chuckled and shook his head.

"Pour the water in the barrel lad," he instructed as he examined the lay of the blade, tapped a dozen times more in various spots, reinspected and then plunged it into the barrel of water which exploded into a cloud of vapor with a loud hiss.

"Tell me Aden, are ya enjoyin' what you've learned here? Do ya feel the song of the metal in yer heart?" Hamsey asked as he pulled the metal out of the water, looking down the blade to check the line of it.

"I ask only b'cause ya seem ta have trouble focusin' at times," the man shrugged. "Could just be yer youth, but ta be good at anythin' ya do, it's got ta sing inside ya son," he handed the sword to Aden and nodded.

"Look down the blade now and see if tis not better," he smiled. "Still needs a bit of work, but we'll get it done."
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden followed Hamsey's instructions- trying to follow them with focus, although they seemed a bit simple. He poured when he was told to.

"I don't know what it would feel like to have the song of metal in my heart," he said, loud enough to be heard over the noises within the building. The man suspected it might feel a lot like having a heart attack, but did not mention this. "But yeah, I'm enjoying it." He had to admit that he wasn't sure whether or not he was really enjoying it, but thought it best not to hurt Hamsey's feelings.

He nodded absently. "Yeah, I suppose I should focus more. It's just so hard for me to concentrate with so many distractions in my head." This, at least, was the truth. Even after he had promised to concentrate on the sword, he found himself thinking about other things- the color of the Dortenese sky and the smell of his mother's kitchen. He remembered the mist of Dorch, and Kelsie- all of it flowing past him quickly. He searched for a common element in it all- but could find nothing.

His attention was brought back in short order at the man's next question. The sword was admittedly a bit misshapen, but it was his sword- and that more than made up for it. "Wow, Hamsey! It looks spectacular!" He breathed deeply, trying to take in the full appearance of the sword. "Sure, it could be improved some, but it's already a fine blade!"

Eyes open with childlike wonder, he smiled at Hamsey- all thoughts of talking horses and crossing the ocean fading rapidly from his mind.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Nodding, the burly man patted Aden on the back. "Tis a hard thing ta be young sometimes but, ye'll make it young man. Ye'll find somethin' what makes yer heart sing fer joy and ye'll know it when it comes," he chuckled.

"Now, about this blade," the went back to his instruction mode. "Most important things are ta get the metal to the proper temperature and then ta hold it flat against the anvil. If yer not careful, ya tend ta lift up on the handle and that puts a slight bend in the blade makin' it awkward ta use and weak in the bend. Tisn't a good thing fer yer blade ta break off on ya in a battle," he chuckled and slid his hand down the blade.

"See the waves here and here and here?" he pointed out places where the metal was still thicker than the rest. "Those have got ta be pounded out. Won't take much but they'll be a weakness in the blade was well. So take it back inta the fire, heat it til the metal turns sunshine yellow and then bring it back over here and work on those three places." Smiling, the big man stood back and watched Aden work, offering correction where necessary.

OOC: Go ahead take your liberty and finish your blade. :)
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden nodded slowly as he listened to Hamsey explain what he would have to do, his eyes open in residual excitement from seeing the sword. He especially noted the flaws, however unimportant he might consider them to be. To the young man, the blade was perfect- it was, after all, his. The warps were like accents in the perfect dish- perhaps jarring, but not necessarily ugly. Still, he had to admit the weapon would look better if it was much smoother.

"Alright, Hamsey! I'll see what I can do." He took the weapon tightly, twirling it in his hands, feeling the smooth imperfections again. Sighing in preparation, he took the sword and placed it into the heat, watching carefully for the promised color change. Aden tried to heat only the region around the first warp, so that he could work on one section at a time. He saw the metal begin to glow, but tried not to anticipate the moment- he knew enough to follow instructions.

When at last the appropriate color had been reached (or near enough- the farm lad grew tired of waiting), he withdrew the weapon. Aden tried his best to make sure it was evenly set, but it was hard to hold the hammer, move the sword, and not burn himself with the very hot metal. Once he was satisfied with the set of the blade against the anvil, the man struck against the yellow-hot portion, trying to use the force of the hammer to produce the correct degree of flatness.

It was hard work- and he was careful not to strike too hard- he wasn't sure if he could fix the sword if he hit it too hard and flattened it like some kind of wafer. Thus, his strokes may have been a bit gentler than they needed to be- and he was a bit dissatisfied with the way the metal never seemed to want to obtain symmetry- every lump he repaired seemed to be replaced by another as quickly as the first disappeared. It was tiresome work- and it didn't seem clear how exactly Hamsey managed to do this as his life's work.

Aden grew frustrated soon, the metal never seeming to do as he wanted- and beginning to cool. At last, he had to reheat the metal blade, although it went much faster this time. He tried again, and it seemed that with patience and effort, the waves were becoming smaller- the imperfections reducing themselves. The realization brought a feeling of happiness to the young man, and he held the first repair up for Hamsey's approval, hoping it would pass the smith's keen eye.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Watching carefully from the side, the old man nodded and offered approval when Aden was doing well, urging more force with the hammer when it was too weak and reminding the lad to hold the blade flat against the anvil. He also noted something new, a sort of glow to the lad's eyes as he neared his goal, that song one's soul sang when it had almost reached it's journies end. It was a good sign, a sign the old man's work was nearly done.

When the lad finally had it to his liking and held it up for inspection, the smith plunged it into the tub of water to cool, then stroked the area and smiled.

"Much better lad," he beamed, clapping him on the shoulder. "Look fer yerself," he held the blade so the young man could see that the thick place was gone and only three more remained.

"Work th'last three out and we'll set ya ta polishin' yer first sword," he announced as he moved over to toss more logs into the furnace and worked the bellows to stoke the fire hotter.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden nodded happily, stiffling a giggle that threatened to well up from his throat. It was an unbelievably good experience to hear the experienced craftsman tell him that his skills were up to snuff (or nearly so- he had to admit that without Hamsey's guidance, he would probably have ruined the blade beyond repair). He still thought it looked like a fine blade, but now he realized what it was like to complete something- to make it more than it was. It was different when working with cards, it wasn't like creation- it was merely manipulating what existed to a form one enjoyed... it was infinitely better to create something from nothing, in Aden's opinion.

His eyes glowing in the reflected light from the flames, the farm boy stuck the blade into the fire, this time aiming for the second spot, waiting a bit more patiently this time, looking for the familiar color and not pulling the sword out until the appropriate glow was observed. He lay it carefully on the anvil, noticing that it wasn't so hard to set it flat this time. He struck with more confidence this time, while still maintaining some measure of caution. He noted the proper places to strike the metal- planning his strikes this time, hoping that it would work better than striking the flaws directly. When he was satisfied, Aden examined it from a few different angles, gave it a final smack and grinned happily.

His progress quickened by his enthusiasm, he soon finished, not asking Hamsey if the blade was satisfactory this time, although he did hold it up to show it off. He worked similarly on the third and fourth flawed sections- each time trying a new tact, hitting in a different way until he at last obtained the desired effect. By the final one, the human had developed a certain technique, although he wasn't sure if it was a proper one. All that he knew was that it worked better than his first sloppy attempts- that was certain. Nodding in satisfaction, he held the blade up to the old weaponsmith, hoping the final product would be met with satisfaction.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Glowing proudly, the burley man watched his apprentice shape the blade, becoming more fluid and sure with each strike of the hammer. The only thing better than breathing life into the metal himself, was passing on this talent to another knowing the knowledge would never be lost. It was also extremely gratifying to watch the discovery of creation in Aden's eyes, almost as if they young man had awakened a part of his being that had lain dorment.

"Very nice," the smithy proclaimed as he took the blade from his apprentice, running his fingers lightly down the length of the blade as he eyed it.

"Almost done," he announced and moved over to a large round whetstone on a wheel. Pumping a pedal with his foot started the wheel turning and he leaned over to a bucket of water nearby, took the ladle and began dumping water on the spinning wheel.

"Sharpening your blade will be a lifelong chore. Again, the key is to hold the blade flat against the stone," he explained as he pressed the blade to the wheel in example. After a burn or so, he stopped and handed the blade to Aden.

"Now you try it," he grinned.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden took the sword, uncertainty written on his face. Sure, it was one thing to strike hot metal with a hammer, but it was quite another to rub it against stone. Won't this make the blade get scratches? the farm lad wondered idly, looking the blade over, gently stroking the edges as if bidding the farewell.

Aden felt exactly how he had when he had started smithing the weapon in the first place. He pressed the pedal slowly, and only barely pressed the sword against the wheel. Gradually, though, he got a feel for the pressure of the blade against the stone, and he increased the rate of the wheel's motion. Grinning to himself, he felt a very different sort of creation- whereas he had seen the forging to be an act of introducing some novelty into an object, he viewed the process of sharpening in the oppostie way. Instead of forcing creation on something, it was as if Aden was peeling away the negative aspects of the blade... as if he was undoing the negative parts of the creation he had performed.

He tried to temper the pressure he exerted, but he could tell that he was getting a little carried away- in some strange manner, Aden thought he could take off all of the imperfections through the whetstone. He barely managed to keep himself within limits, but knew that he was pressing against the upper boundary... he just had to hope that it wouldn't harm the blade (or that Hamsey'd tell him what he was doing wrong and stop him). The smile never left his face as the farm lad worked.

Aden watched in wonder as the object shed its chrysalis little by little. He only hoped that the creature would be a butterfly, and not some sort of hideous moth- as if he was a casual observer watching a very natural process beyond his control. The feeling was simultaneously intriguing and frightening- but he gave into the sensation of creation and let it govern his hands and foot, hoping he could reach an equilibrium before he somehow damaged the sword.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Nodding, the master watched as his apprentice worked and then with a broad smile at Aden's progress, moved back to the forge where he thrust in a long sword in the making.

"Yer doin' well lad," he boasted proudly. "Very well," and he turned the blade over waiting for it to grow hot enough for his purposes. Looking over at his apprentice every now and again, he finally brought the sword to the anvil and began to pound it out, the hammer coming down in a rhythmic pattern as the metal on metal rang out. After some time, he plunged the sword-to-be into the water to cool it, jets of steam flashing off the surface. Eyeing his work, he laid the blade back on the anvil and moved back to Aden.

"Good! Now, we polish it by hand fer the finishin' touches Aden," and he brought out a very find whetstone about as large and the young man's hand.

"Ye stroke the blade to her most beautious self with this m'boy," he purred as he demonstrated, drawing the stone down the length of the blade, the bringing it back up to the hilt and stroking downward again.

"You try it," he handed the stone to his apprenctice.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: normally I would give you the standard post about transportation, but this is a bit tricky, with all the dimension stuff. Aden, you can feel free to start posting in the Oasis, while we figure out how you get there ;)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Aden took the stone in his hand, testing the balance of it- and then brought it lightly down the length of his blade, pressing just hard enough- while trying not to use too much force. The image of unsightly scratches, real or imagined, stayed his hand, and he perhaps used a little less force than was ultimately required. After a few burns, however, he started pushing with increased vigor, and the image of scraping the cocoon of a beautiful butterfly once more played in his head, and he smiled.

He continued for as long as Hamsey encouraged him to, and perhaps a little more. He was determined to get the sword perfectly- to assure that the blade had no imperfections- that it was perfect. It was, after all- his sword.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Like pounding the metal, with practice the young man's movements became more sure and controled and the sharp edge of the blade began to appear. In the background, Hamsey watched his young apprentice, a pleased smile on his face as he watched the youth take to the task and find pleasure in it. Eventually, the big man ambled over and patted Aden on the shoulder.

"Very nice lad.. very nice indeed," he smiled and handed a handsome new leather sheath to the young man. "Something ta protect it from the elements. Take care of her and she'll serve ya long and well. Keep her dry and clean and in her scabbard when she's not needed," he beamed at the young man.

"Now," he turned and walked back over to his work bench where he picked up bag containing a short sword and a few daggers all handsomely finished in sheaths that were almost elegant.

"Lord Gelitan is awaiting these. Ya know he's the fancy noble who'll not live in the city but a mark's ride from the city. Take these to him and tell him I'll expect payment in the normal way. He'll likely tip ya, usually he does," the old man chuckled remembering another apprentice he'd sent there.

"Now, off with ya," the smithy shooed the young man off gruffly. "Oh!" he called after Aden. "Take Buster with ya!"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden nodded happily, sliding the sword into its sheathe after spending a couple of moments to run his hands across the now smooth surface, feeling where the imperfections previously had been, where he could now feel nothing. There was only the warm smoothness of the metal- somehow wonderful despite the fact that the blade was nothing special, in practical terms. It was actually a fairly average blade- nothing of master craftsmanship, but there was a feeling of possession. It was his sword- if he wanted, he could use it in battle. He could equally well use it to slice potatoes. It was his blade, through and through- he had worked on it with his own hands, and at last, he felt he had found the reward.

Sheating the sword, Aden felt somehow stronger for having it... despite the fact that he could no quicker fling magic than wield a blade. Maybe its mere presence would be a dissuasion to anything that would require actual stabbing. Calling to Buster, he walked around the house, smiling at the horse and showing off his new sword. "Hey Buster! Look what I made! Isn't it the grandest thing?" He asked, pulling the blade from its sheath and swirling it around a little before replacing it.

Aden led Buster to the road, and then realized something very important... he did not known how to ride. The farm lad may as well have been asked to climb a mountain as to ascend the creature. Standing around, he looked the horse over once or twice, looking for some sort of foothold he knew would not be there.

"Uh... Buster... a little help, maybe?" He asked the horse, struggling to get upon the beast's back.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Waiting outside, the horse came when called and accompanied Aden amiably, shying away when the lad pulled out his new blade to show it off.

"Whoa! Careful with that cheese slicer! You could hurt something," he whinnied as he back away from the eager young swordsman. "I suppose you are going to carry that thing everywhere with you now?" the horse rolled his eyes as the pair walked towards the edge of the city. When Aden asked for help, Buster snorted.

"I wondered if you were going to walk all the way there," and he looked the young man up and down. "You are a bit short," he concluded thoughtfully.

"Of course, you could always stick your sword in the ground and stand on it to get high enough to get on," he chuckled heartily before breaking off suddenly.

"And no! I will not get on my knees so you can get on. I am no camel!" he spat or the closest thing a horse could do that was like spitting.

Here on the edge of the city proper, things had a more rural look and feel to them. Fences were everywhere, keeping some animals in and others out. Off to one side there was a small pile of stones that had once been part of a building that had long since rotted, leaving only this pile of tumbled stones.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden eyed the rocks nervously, the basis of an idea forming in his mind. If only I could get Buster to head over there... he thought, grinning at the horse. His smile widened, and he chuckled good naturedly. "You're right, Buster. I'm far too short to ride you. If I can't get on myself- that's the only way I can ride." He nodded seriously, as if convinced of the truth of his words. "Sound like a deal, Buster?"

Waiting for the reply, he led Buster slightly off the road and toward the pile of rocks. Stopping right next to them, Aden sighed, patting Buster gently on the neck. "I think I need to rest for a bit. This sword is heavier than I expected." Settling himself, he casually placed one foot on the rock pile, and then another. Aden waited another moment, continuing to pet the creature's neck, before leaning toward him and jumping as hard as he could, trying to get his body over the horse's back... hoping he could swing the other leg over before Buster would react... if the beast even decided to.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Grunting heavily, the horse snorted but didn't move as Aden lurched onto the animal's back. Once the lad was seated, Buster shook his head and snorted again.

"You could've asked me to stand closer to the rocks so you could get on," the animal remarked dryly. "That is always preferable to trying to break my back by throwing yourself at me. You would feel very ill used were I to try that on you I would bet," the horse shook it's head and neck again and the four feet pranced a bit.

"Okay, now that you've given me a backache and a tummy ache, what now.... boss?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden sighed. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. But this way I have practice in case I ever need to try and throw myself at a horse." He patted the horse on the neck, rubbing any areas that might bruise up tenderly. "Sorry about that- but at least it shows how determined I am to move about my task, right?" The young man sighed, trying to figure out how he would ever get the horse to move, was it not capable of speech.

"Apparently, a Lord Gelitan wants these," Aden began, holding up the bag vaguely and trying his best not to snicker at the man's name. "I suppose it's my duty to take them all to him. Maybe you know the way, Buster?" He stroked the horses neck gently, positioning the bulky sack of items between him and the horse, trying to get a free hand so as to hang onto the horse as it moved.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Oh, well that makes me feel much better. So glad I could assist you in learning to assault four legged beasts of burden," the horse snorted. "You will warn me in the future if I am to prove similar training opportunities," he added as the dark tail flipped around slapping Aden on the side.

The young man's comments about his mission were greeted with what could only be called a laugh, the horses lips fluttering together.

"And why do you think I should know where this lord is? Do I look like a taxi nag?" Buster replied imperiously. "If you didn't know where this lordship lives, why didn't you ask your boss?"

"You aren't going to do anything... rash are you?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden's face fell. After all that excitement building up inside him, it would be more than a little anticlimactic to get down from his steed after all that effort to determine which way the lord lived. Besides which... he felt as if it didn't matter- everything in the dream was leading him down a path. A path leading where- that was uncertain. However, it didn't seem that the path would lead him astray- everything occured for a purpose.

Hoping for some sort of guidance, he pointed his finger toward the direction that seemed to call most to his conciousness. "Let's head that way, Buster. If it's the wrong way, we can always try another. It's only a mark, after all." He stroked the horse's neck yet again, with his freehand.

"Uh... go when you're ready, Buster?" He was unsure how to make the horse move, so the young man simply leaned forward, anticipating the creature's forward motion.

Return to “On the Road Archive”