The docks: finding a ship to the Citadel: Scatha&friends

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

Hex clasp Scatha by the arm and pulled her into the crows nest. Feeling the warm wind on her face she settles back. Giving Scatha a perplexed expression...

"Now that Zarias is gone? I barley had a plan when he was here. I was not tied to him rather to the woman named Raven with the horse. Her loss I lament, Zarias is but a curiosity. He was quite opposed to me really. As a woman I quite dismissed him as a man, he did not like that much. In my journeys I have learned that men can have their uses and a unique perspective, often rash, but in the end different. Really it is Ellena that I fear will have to come up with a new plan. She seemed smitten with him for some reason. As for my plans they were to see what your plans were to see if they held any promise for me, if not, to see where Josaps next port of sail would be. I have quite enjoyed the time at sea, I have missed it. So, what are your plans and why are you so determined to catch the eye of Josap? Your trim and fit and with that chest you could have any dog on this ship, why him?"
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"Thanks," Scatha panted as Hex hauled her up into crow's nest. She stared out to sea as she listened to Hex, surprised of her dismissal of Zarias; I thought they were close companions. Still, appearances are deceiving... Scatha pursed her lips as she thought about Hex's questions.

"To be honest... I don't know where I'm going. Originally I thought I might go to the Citadel, and see if I can find the Scouts Guild... my father used to tell me stories about it, and I thought I might see if they would let me become one. But now... now I don't know. There are so many possibilities." She glanced shyly at Hex; "Did I tell you I met the King? He was very handsome. Perhaps it might be worth looking for him again." Who knows, a small voice whispered in her ear. Maybe he'll take notice of a scruffy farm girl from Dort this time... Scatha smiled at the thought, and brushed stray hairs from her face; "As for Jozap... he's very handsome, in a cruel sort of way, but I can't make head nor tail of him. Did you know he spanked me for arguing with him?" Scatha pursed her lips; "And another thing; he's got weird legs. When I used my whip to try and pull them out from under him, he just stood there as if it didn't hurt at all. You don't think he's got a wooden leg, do you?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex smiled as Scatha talked about her exploits. While Hex did not think she was that much older than her, she felt that she had many years on her in other ways.

"I had no idea that there even was a king, what is he king of? As for Josaps legs, they could be wood, have you asked him?"

Hex paused in thought and rubbed her hands over her face. The wind had blown some of her hair about.

"Now tell me about this Scout Guild, what is that about? I suppose that it is some poorly run organization set up by some man with a ego. most likely I would face further opposition if I were to pursue such endeavors."

Hex looks sideways at Scatha.

"Forgive me, but only on the sea do the men treat me as equal. Everywhere else there must be this unspoken test, mental or physical. Here they simply ask what I can do and push me to do more. It makes me want to stay on board to see where Josap and this vessel take us."

Hex pauses a momenet.

"To be quite honest I have been thinking of going home to seek the advice of the priestesses. Feel like a stop at Trothgaurd? You might like it there, we can have as many men as we like for breading."
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"You didn't know there was a King?" Scatha was surprised, and a little bemused; surely Hex had heard stories of Kings ruling kingdoms and killing dragons? Only, in Brie, during the dream-nightmare-whatever, the dragon had slain the king... Scatha shook her head impatiently. "Well, there is one, and he rules the world. Well, most of it, I think. Or at least Brie. He's very blonde and handsome, with black armour." Scatha stared dreamily out to sea; "And I got to give him a message, and if he hadn't been so busy fighting orcs and ruling, who knows? Ah well... his loss." Mine too, she thought regretfully... I mean, how many shots does a girl get at a genuine King? She rubbed her bottom thoughtfully; Jozap had been a little heavy handed, and she was sure there were bruises. Still, he had bite marks on his leg in return... "I don't think Jozap has a wooden leg," she said thoughtfully. "It didn't taste of wood."

"As for the Scouts Guild... its supposed to be a secret society, made up of heroes that go on special missions for the Emperor." Scatha pursed her lips; wasn't an Emperor supposed to be bigger than a King? Perhaps he would be even more handsome than the King... although she couldn't imagine how. "They explore mysterious places, and fight monsters, and kill dark magicians. That sort of thing. I'm not sure if they'd take me though." Scatha looked crestfallen; "I don't read and write very well. Do you think they'd need you to read and write before they let you be a Scout?" I bet they would, Scatha thought sadly, and brushed the hair from her eyes, before looking at Hex with a half-smile; "I can't imagine many men thinking they could better you... but I know what you mean. Boys always want to be the best at things, even when they aren't. We just have to show them who's boss. What's in Trothgard, anyhow? Any gorgeous men? And why do you want to see the priestesses?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Skawalla

Post by Skawalla »

Skawalla looks up past the feet, up past the belly hanging in his face and up into the surprisingly red face of the cook.
"No, sir," Skawalla says loudly and hopefully clearly. "Food 'tis good. But I be quite bored on ship with nothing ter do. I very much love t' cook. May I help you?" The gnome stares up in question, not noticing the knife that could very well be menacing.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex seems bemused at the talk of kings and emperors.

"Ah yes rulers. Trothgard is governed by our Kona, she is our spiritual leader. Our goddess, the Ice Queen, passes to our Kona her will and thus, the Kona governs accordingly. In essence our true leader is the Ice Queen. Trothgard acknowledges that there are other leaders but in my eyes they are unimportant. I am sure though that this king of yours would have been a good catch to have in the home.

Why do you need to read and write to be in the Scouts Guild? I am but one of a few who can read or write in my Clan. Reading and writing is not so important there. I think that the Guild should be happy that a woman such as yourself apply. You are in good health and of fine stature, you have spirit and courage. Skills can be learned, it is what is inside that guides you.

Men out here feel that if I better them they are less of a man. It makes no sense. Most good men have better upper body strength, but with skill you can counteract this. That is why I let these men beat on me. If I am able to learn a new skill, this martial art, then there is no shame in the loss. Part of it is the fact that I like to push them around a bit. I see so many weak women in this part of the world that it makes me sick. They bow and serve like one of our slaves. Stand up!, work out and get a backbone or may the Goddess freeze your breasts solid!

The priestess will be able to answer some questions I have. I have been away for a while but I am without guidance. My only guiding light is the Ice Queen, her strength is my strength, and her home is forever mine. From her I will be better able to guide my path and return to my travels. I feel a resolve to better tune myself to her. That in essence is why I want to talk to the priestess.

Trothgard is a simple place. It is small compared to many of the places I have seen, yet it feels more true. There are many good men, there are more men then women infact and there is always a good time to be had."

Hex glances down at Scatha's rear with a bemused look on her face...

"Why are you rubbing your bottom? Is there something I should know?"
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha listened to Hex, and nodded thoughtfully. Sometimes it helped to talk to those dedicated to serving the gods; it helped to get things straight in your head. She remembered the vision of the Mother from the Abbey, and a warm glow of pleasure washed over her; closing her eyes, she murmured a prayer of thanks to the Mother for the day, and for the journey so far. "Your goddess doesn't sound so different from Mother Earth," shemused. "Only, it seems that She only talks to your leader, your Kona, whilst Mother Earth is around us all the time. Anyone can talk to Her anytime they like. Sometimes She talks to us, too." Scatha's eyes narrowed as Hex commented on her bottom; "It's sore. I told you, Jozap spanked me when I argued with him. Typical man."

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

"You should have drove your fist into his face. That tends to smarten them up a bit."

Hex reflects on Scatha's words about the Mother Earth.

"I have no knowledge of this Mother that you speak. The Ice Queen protects Trothgard and it is from her that we seek our guidance. The Kona is merely a woman whom looks after the daily running of Trothgard and its people. She is a high priestess of the Ice Queen. Here I feel far from her but in essence we of Trothgard are one with her and her one with us. At least that is how I feel about her."

Hex closes her eyes for a moment.

"I hope you have the joy one day to see the mountains of ice and snow that she sets adrift form the land to float on her ice waters and to hear the symphony of the cracking ice and the howling wind."

Hex closes her eyes for a moment and sends a quiet pray to the Ice Queen to blow this vessel home to her.

From her pouch Hex produces a small, smooth rock.

"This is a rock form the farthest point south I have gone. When I return I shall give it to the Ice Queen as an offering."

Hex puts the stone back in the pouch. Picking Scatha up by the waist, she plops her down in her lap. The crows nest is not very big so both of them have their legs straddling the center mast. Placing her rough and callused hands on the nape of Scatha's neck, hex gingerly and gently tries to massage her shoulders and back.

"Let me know if this helps. I have never done this before myself but after a brutal drill many of the more experienced sisters would rub people down in the steam rooms. For me anyway it always worked to release all my tensed up and hurt bits and make me feel good all over."
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was bemused; she'd heard of sailors pouring beer or wine into the sea as a gift to the gods before a journey, and she knew that it was only right and proper that offerings needed to be made to the Mother at the turning of the seasons, and at seeding and harvest times... but she couldn't think how any of the gods would be pleased with a small stone. She was going to ask exactly what the Ice Goddess was going to do with it when Hex suddenly picked her up by the waist and dropped her onto her lap, facing the mast and with her arms and legs either side of it. What with Jozap and now Hex, Scatha felt like a rag doll. She was going to protest until Hex started to gently massage her neck and shoulders... mmm... that's actually quite nice... still slightly peeved, Scatha leant her face against the mast, and enjoyed the sensation of Hex's fingers soothing out the knotted muscles in her neck and shoulders...

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex had no idea if she was hurting the smaller woman, She is quite well muscled, she would tell me if it hurt....

With that Hex worked out Scatha's hurts and sores while she watched the sea around her. Talking to Scatha about her plans had made them seem all the more real. Feeling for once in a very long time that she had a real direction to go in, Hex felt quite at ease within herself. She smiled as she kept watch over the water while her hands worked on their own.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha leant against the mast, eyes closed, feeling the wood against her cheek, the wind playfully tossing stands of hair against her face, enjoying Hex's massage; "So what's your story?" she asked. "How come you left Trothgard, and ended up on this ship? Didn't you want to settle down and have a family?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex snorts and laughs.

"No, I did not want to have children and do not for a very long time. My family are blacksmiths and weapon smiths. In my opinion they are quite good, and thus I had some advantages growing up, for example I can read and write. This may seem common out here but it is not so there. There everything we do is oral, so we pass our stories, deeds and skills down orally. out here though, you need to read, you need advantages. Growing up I always wanted to know where the trade ships were from, what they did, what happened to all the fine weapons my family made. As I grew up I worked hard to get myself in a position to obtain the freedom I wanted."

Hex pauses to laugh softly.

"It was not quite that eeasilythough. I joined the local militia and was on my way to the military and then off to a raiding ship and so forth. Now though tthingshave changed. We no longer raid like we once did and most of the warriors are fighting the Trolls. Some thought I was shirking my duty by not staying to join up and fight in the army, others thought it was my duty of motherhood that I shirked. In truth it was both. Our warriors will defeat the Trolls and then what? Breading and watching the men raise the brood? Is that a life? I do not dislike men as many think, I have drunk with them, ffoughtwith them and talked with them. They have spirit and fight and yet I do not wish to spend my quiet time with them. That little fact has caused me a lot of trouble over the years, that and my red hair. The people of Trothgard are blondes like you, I am rare upon rare. My mother just shrugs her shoulders when I ask what happened to me. The sisters of my squad understood why I had to go, and they knew I would be back. They were able to obtain for me a spot aboard a pirate ship and off I have been to see the world. I have not seen it all and I do not intend to, but I had to see how the rest of the world lived, or a least a good part of it. In Trothgard the men look upon women as wise, caring and protective. their true queen is an Ice Goddess, and thus they see their role in the area's other than the religious, political and military. If need they will fight, and they can, but they feel that the women are wiser. In the outside world the men seem to have all the power, yet they do not seem to wish to share. Women seem to have power from shadows, but are not able to speak in the light. They fear me I think because I challenge them to their face, look them in the eye as it were."

Hex pauses for a moment...

"Sorry, this world is still a bit of a struggle for me to get my head around at times. I went as far south as Dort in my travels. Most of my time was spent as a guard on various ships of ill-repute. In Dort I met a fine woman who had fire and was a good friend. it was her you saw ride off on the horse on the docks. I hope she went back to the job that we had worked out for her. I felt that I was going to be setting up roots in Dort, Zarias reminded me that I was supposed to be passing through, and that is about the time I met you. I cut my ties, gathered my bags and got on this ship. I think that the sea air has been good for me, it has helped me clear my thoughts. What it has shown me that after all is washed away, only my belief in the Ice Queen remains. That little rock in my pocket shows me, and in essence her, that I had to get away from the shadow of the past and the future in order to see my own present. I need nothing more that belief in the Ice Queen and strength in my body to do her bidding."

Hex sighs...

"I must sound like a religious fanatic to you, I am not really. After so many years I have finally found a path, and one that is not about me running away."

Hex pauses while she brushes some of Scatha's hair from her neck.

"And you? What are your goals?"
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha smiled sleepily, eyes closed; "I want to marry the most gorgeous, handome King in the world, and he can feed me cherries all day long. And we'll live on our farm in Dort. That'll do."

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex leaned back to relax and brings Scatha back to lean against her.

"Well then tired one I recommend traveling to all corners of the world and seeing all the kings before you make up your mind."

Hex looks to the night sky to study the weather and softly hums a soothing song.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha leant back against Hex, and watched the stars; "I think I will see this Trothgard place of yours," she said slowly. "I have seen the Citadel, and I didn't care for it much... and I am sure the Scouts Guild will keep for another day. Besides, I am sure you have handsome Kings in Trothgard... don't you?"

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex gives Scatha a little hug.

"That is indeed good news! Traveling alone can be so tiersome and dull. We have our Kings as it were, mabey not the rulers of other lands. When I do have my brood, it will be with a man of Trothgard for I have seen none that equal them in all my travels. This is indeed good news, tomorrow I will speak to Josap about getting us as close as he can to Trothgard."
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha shivered; it was starting to get a little chilly in the crows nest. "I'll see you on deck," she smiled to Hex, and then clambered over the edge of the crows nest, and back down the rigging to the deck. It was warmer - only a little - and Scatha wandered to the stern, past Jozap's cabin...

saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

The ship was quiet...it was that time between midday and evening, when everybody was waiting for the sun to set and dinner to be served.

As Scatha passed Jozap's cabin, she could see him sitting at his table, doing some paperwork, or reading his maps...
[size=100][color=red] It takes a red-headed woman, to get a dirty job done[/size][/color]

[size=84]Bruce Springsteen[/size]

[size=75]http://www.dreslough.com[/size]
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scath gazed at Jozep and sighed. He's gorgeous... but I don't think I could care for any man that settles arguments by spanking me, especially if he's got strange legs. Oh well... plenty more fish in the sea. With that, Scatha tossed her hair back and went to the cabin, and lay in her hammock, waiting for dinner to be served...

Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

Since Zarias' removal from the ship, Ellena had been lost in her sorrowful thoughts - wandering around the ship and trying without success to find some task which would distract her. She didn't wish to seem useless and so continued to do the little tasks assigned to her, but her mind was not on them and she was glad when the time for work came to an end and everyone began to prepare for their evening meal.
Knowing she had a little time to kill before dinner would be served, she found a quiet corner of the deck and sat down, wrapping her arms around her knees as she pulled them up to her chest and rested her head on them. She wondered of Zarias' fate and then her thoughts turned to her own as she began to reassess her plans. She heaved a sigh as she wondered how long it would be before they came to land and what on earth she would do when they did. Still, she tried to convince herself that everything would work out - this was only taking her back to the point she had been at when she had first left home, before she had ever met Zarias. Yes, she missed him already, but she would cope on her own ...
"What's the point in making plans?" she whispered to herself, "They only go wrong! One day at a time - that's the answer."
Yes, she would just have to see what fate had in store ...
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

The next morning the skies were dark, and from the south heavy clouds came drifting towards the ship.

The crew started to look at the sky, and then began to run around the ship, busy with the sails, tying things down and fastening ropes.
Jozap came and took the steering-wheel.
They all seemed to prepare for a big storm, bustling around with nervous energy.

Soon the sky got dark, and big drops of rain began to fall and in no time they were sailing through an immense thunderstorm, the once so sturdy ship suddenly feeling like a tiny boat.
[size=100][color=red] It takes a red-headed woman, to get a dirty job done[/size][/color]

wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha didn't mind wind and rain; that was the usual state of wather on Dort where she'd been raised. When the bad weather started up, she simply went to her cabin, pulled on her hooded cloak, and went about her usual duties on deck. If truth be told, Scatha rather enjoyed the pitch and roll of the ship in the waves; it reminded her of sliding down haystacks when she was little, only on a much grander scale, and obviously much wetter. The only change she made from her usual routine was to hitch her whip in a coiled loop from her hip, protected from the rain and sea spray by her cloak; for some odd reason, she felt more secure with it about her today...
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex smiled sweetly at the dark sky. Finally! a break from this heat! Then she, like the rest of the crew, raced around the ship getting things tied down and put away. She also took the time to quickly pack her things just incase they had to leave the ship in a hurry. When that was doene she assumed her post and got ready to ride out a storm. Smiling to herself, Come on now storm, blow this boat all the way home!
Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

As the sky darkened overhead, Ellena looked up to the sky and sighed - the weather seemed to fit her mood at least. She held out her hands and felt the large drops begin to fall. She stood there for a moment as the rain got heavy, the wind picked up and the swell of the waves began to increase gradually. Had she been safe on dry land, she would not have minded the storm, but here she didn't feel so safe. The boat suddenly seemed much less secure, just a little vessal struggling through the increasingly large waves. Trying to keep her footing as the ship rocked and tossed on the waves, she helped fasten everything down, wondering how long this storm would last and hoping it wouldn't get any worse. Yes, she wanted to reach land quickly, but she also wanted to get there in one piece!
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

The storm soo grwe worse, the ship seemed to drift in dark clouds. It was impossible to see where the storm ended and the sea began, except for the huge waves charhing over the ship.

Even the experienced crew seemed to be worried, there was no more talking and joking, just commands shouted, and soft curses and prayers.

Jozap stood at the steering wheel, his hands tight around the wood, his knockels white. He didi not speak, but steered the ship and looked straight ahaid, to things perhaps only he could see.

The storm continued to blow from the south. It was obvious that they were being blown from their original course.

Sailors came by, and ordered Ellena to go below deck, and help tying things down.
Hex was sent to a group of sailors tying the sails, and Scatha was given a small barrel, to bail out the water.

Return to “Dort Archive”