All This & More: Dorian Drake - Samheen 10

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Laughing, the old man clapped Dorian on the shoulder.

"Orc.. pirates? Not heard anyone call 'em that, but they're pretty much like pirates cept they don't take well ta the water from what I hear. More blood thirsty than a pirate with not a lot up here," Redlon pointed to his head and grinned.

"Would make sense for pirate ships ta avoid the docks or areas close ta the city shores. They're more likely ta be further out or put inta coves nearby and walk ta the city. Orc troubles makes that harder though, so I 'spose they're takin' care ta see pirates don't start tryin' ta dock at the city. Though truth be told, I'd rather face a pirate than an orc any day. Pirates're greedy but can be bargained or reasoned with to some degree. No reasonin' with an orc; ain't got enough sense ta bargain and only good orc be a dead orc," he shook his head.

"Strange times we're livin', eh Dorian," the boatmaker's eyes scanned the city around them with the few evidences of the recent seige evident. This far back, damage had been limited. Those near the walls had faired worse.

"Still, we got the muc-an-sgadain and there'll be food and oil fer the winter. What with yer fishin' ya'll do fine despite the fact that summer crops was washed out with the dratted rains. Things could be worse, could be indeed," the old man smiled
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian nodded. He didn't depend on things the other people did, in the city. He could live on fish and seaweed for months, without complaint, and he didn't feel the cold as others did, nor did he have any needs for fancy things, entertainment, whatever. He lived to work, and took pleasure in his simple life. Now, Maranda needed more than that, so he was going to work hard to make sure that happened.

"Aye, could be," he said, "But Could Be catches no fish." That was from Old Drake. "I'll look for them, if I see them I'll tell one of those fellows." he nodded toward where the guard had been standing. "I'd best be off home, to work on the new traps. The bone should cure hard in the sun for a while, before I try them in the water. I'll be by to collect some oil when all tis ready. G'day to ye, Redlon."

Dorian took polite leave of the man, and walked in his slow, careful way back home, the wheelbarrow returned and Dora thanked. He had to work while the sun shone, sitting outside the shack, patiently bending and tying long strips of bone into place, forming new lobster traps. Maybe he'd jump in the lake and pull out some mussels for dinner, with some lakeweed.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Bidding Dorian farewell, the old man rambled back around to the boat he'd been plaining and started back to work, whistling some sea tune. The streets were fairly busy, the sun bright though the sky was dotted with white fluffy clouds and there were signs of a cloud bank off to the northwest that were likely headed towards Kings Court. Dora hugged him and took the offered soup bones, sending word back to Maranda to come see her aunt.

Heading back towards the lake and home, the young man passed the oddly shadowed house once more but now, the building appeared normal. Though scorched, the sunshine illuminated it just like all the other buildings around. As he neared home, the sound of a female voice singing greeted his ears. While she didn't have the clarity of tone to be a bard, her voice was pleasant enough and the tune rather wistful, the song of a lass whose new beau had to go to sea and her promises to wait for him.

Cat was chasing something near the treeline where low bushes and shrubbery abounded. A flock of gulls had found something down the shore and were feasting on it noisily.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian's footing and confidence improved as he gained sight of the water. He noted the gulls, and sauntered over that way to see what the fuss was about. You never know what the tides might bring....and in these troubled times, it might well be a body. Better he find it, cover it and tell the authorities before some children found it.

Which reminded him he still had to give word of that other body he'd found, the nobleman whose rings he'd hidden away, before the storm. The body had been washed away again. A lot had happened....he made a mental note to report it to the Church and the Watch tomorrow.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Indeed it was a body, that of the drunk from the night before now face up sprawled in the sand as if washed up in the morning tide. The birds had made a gruesome mess of his face and were picking at entrails now, having found skin not covered by trousers or shirt to feast on.

From what was left of the man, it seemed more a case of drowning than murder. No bruises were visible nor cuts or other abrasions that might be associated with a fight or assault and a gold wedding band still adorned his hand, so he hadn't been robbed. That in itself was a bit odd being that the day was into tradetide but it appeared no one had discovered the body yet or had ignored it if they had.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian sighed, and set to covering the body with sand to keep off the gulls. This was a matter for the Watch to deal with, he thought, burying people was not part of his chores. He didn't know what had happened to the girl, but could wager a guess that she'd gotten tired of looking after this drunkard and had let him drown, possibly even helped him on his way.

Once the body was covered, he went off looking for a uniform, hoping it didn't take all day to find one. He still had work to do.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Finding a City Vanguard didn't turn out to take long or be difficult at all. The two young guardsmen he found barely looked old enough to qualify if that but the fisherman wasn't asking them to solve a crime, only claim a body. It was a task they were well suited for and after a few obligatory questions of Dorian, they went to work on removing the body.

Out on the lake, a small sailing vessel passed by, flying colors that were reminescent of those worn by the young man at Redlon's. Clearly going too fast to be fishing, one might have thought it the plaything of an aristocrat out enjoying the warm day in the sun. Further out there were a few fishing boats and in the far distance, a bank of clouds was evident.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Idiots, thought Dorian Drake, reading the sky. Rain was coming, with wind, maybe gale force. He watched the boat go past, shaking his head, and then went to tie up his own boat very securely. Then he sat in the sun, while there was sun, to weave lobster traps, until he had at least one or two made. Once that was done, he took his knife and bucket, and walked off the end of the dock.

It was just, well, habit. He looked for mussels, and some lakeweed, because he was getting a bit weary of leviathan, and culled enough from the submerged wood to make a respectable dinner for himself and Maranda. Once dinner was sorted, he checked the sky again, to see where the storm was, and if those silly lads were still out there.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

While a few clouds were beginning to roll in, there was still plenty of sun and things were quiet and peaceful. Dorian's only distraction was the gray cat who proved to be in a playful mood when she found the fisherman, taking great delight batting and biting at the strips that were being woven together.

He was nearly finished when Maranda came out, arms full of blanket which she shook out and hung over a rope that she'd strung beside the shack. Seeing Dorian, she greeted him and walked over to sit next to him.

"Hi love," she smiled, knelt beside Dorian and kissed his cheek, petting Cat who was curled up by his leg. "How is your day going?" she asked. After his reply, she smiled and nodded.

"I am glad I found you here. I need to run into Marta's. I have a piece finished and need to get more thread. I won't be gone long," she kissed his cheek again and headed back to the house, picked up her bag and headed out with a wave at her husband.

Slow lazy puffs of cottony clouds drifted up from the southwest, the cloud cover increasing as the day wore on, but still mostly sunny. Off over the lake, the heavy line of dark clouds crept closer, though clearly this was a slow moving storm.

About the time the fisherman had finished harvesting dinner, Maranda returned with an armload of new projects. In spite of the troubles in the city, Marta's work seemed to be bustling.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian kissed his wife, smiling happily, and took his wet self into the shack. He had of course forgotten to take off his clothes, just as he had often forgotten to put them on, so he stripped and set them up to dry, lest Maranda be complaining about a wet bed. He didn't mind being naked.

He shucked the mussels. Then he quietly set up the cookpot with the mussels and lakeweed, to boil them up into dinner. "A storm is coming in," he said, making sure the in-construction traps were tied up along the beams of the ceiling of the shack. "I tied up the boat well. Should be salvage in the morning." That was fine by him.

There was something he wanted her to think about for him. "Maranda....remember how it was, that we're supposed to look for the shadow, for the Mer ? Well, I think I saw a shadow today, in the town." He paused to stir up the cookpot, and described it, to the best of his ability. "It was...a patch of darkness, an evil, it made me - " there were no easy words in Common for bark madly like a seal giving a warning - " It made me want to call out that it was trouble. It was at this burnt-out house....then it was gone, later. I didn't have my gaff, so I didn't go inside. Do you think that was what they were after ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Grinning, the blonde took the wet clothes and hung them to dry while Dorian opened the mussles and cooked dinner. His question about the shadow brought a crease to her forehead as she thought about what he told her.

"A shadow? You mean it felt evil, Dorian?" she asked trying to get a clearer idea of what he'd seen.

"I s'pose that's the sort o' thing they wanted ta know about. The great war was with shadows of a sort, not just race against race. Not sure I understand just what the Mer wanted or what they plan ta do about anything we tell em, but couldn't hurt to pass it on. D'ya think there was someone inside the house? I'd think the only reason a place'd seem evil was if there was evil beings inside?" she mused quietly as she stared into the fire.

"Wonder where the shadow went when it left that house?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I don't know, but it weren't right." said Dorian, calmly stirring the stew, completely naked and not even remotely mindful of it. "The shadow wasn't there when I went back....and I didn't have my gaff. I don't know what good a gaff is against a shadow, anyhows." He mulled this over for a moment, being as that he was not the fastest thinker in the city. "Do you think I should go look for it ? Or swim out to the Mer and tell them ? There's a storm coming. The water will be choppy."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Sitting with her arms wrapped around her knees, watching the fire crackle, she shook her head at Dorian's question.

"What would ya do if ya were ta find it? Seems ta me that fightin' shadows'd come under the work o' the church or perhaps wizards more than fishermen or normal folks. An the Mer just asked ta know about anythin' ya saw or heard, not that ya'd have ta fight it or chase after it. I thought the mer told us ta signal them? But I don't recall how... was doin' something in the water ta be sure..." she trailed off thinking.

"I'd rather not see ya go out in the storm though," she began softly. "I'd be a mess o'worryin' til ya got back home. Perhaps we should wait til ya've gathered a bit more and tell it all at once?" she offered hesitantly as she watched her handsome husband tend the boiling pot.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Aye, I could have a look again tomorrow, to see if it's back," he said, speaking slowly and thoughtfully, as he stirred the pot. "Salvage in the morning. Oh, and there was a body in the sands. That drunk from t'other night. Drowned."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Drowned? Did ya see his daughter about? She'd have no place ta go likely, or she'd have already been there and she seemed a nice girl," the blonde frowned at that news and shook her head. Times were bad enough without this sort of thing making them worse.

"And yes, I think perhaps goin' ta see if this shadow is still hangin' round might be a good idea before contactin' the Mer. I need ta go see Aunt Dora so perhaps I could come with ya?" she asked, moving over to sit next to him as he stirred dinner.

"Smells good," she added as she settled herself.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian shook his head slowly. "I didn't see her," he said. "I'll look for the shadow tomorrow...but first, salvage. The storm may bring up something worthwhile."

He tasted the broth, and stirred it some more, until it was done. "Tomorrow then, for the town and the shadow, and Aunt Dora, once the storm gives up some treasures. Does that lamp serve you well ? Maybe we ought to look for one to buy in the market."

With that, he settled down to eat, giving Maranda the first bowlful.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"That sounds like a good plan," the blonde replied to his plans for the morrow as she leaned in and kissed his cheek. "I think the Mer can wait ta hear about the shadow and ya might find out more in time."

"You think this storm is goin' ta be that bad?" she asked as she took a bowl of the mussel and lakeweed soup.

"Or do all storms do that? What's the most unusual thing ya've found after a storm and were ya scared of them when you were little?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian paused, for thinking was not his forte. "It's moving slow," he said. "Might even be spent before it reaches us. Sometimes a storm throws up nothing good...sometimes it throws up plenty. At any rate, there could be some driftwood. That's useful, winter's coming." He was after all a very practical soul.

He pondered the things that had been thrown up by the storm tides. "I was scared of storms....being near the deep water, that was where - " he paused again, for it was still hard to remember and talk about - "Where the ship broke up, and went down. I'm still scared of them....I just know why, now. And for odd things...I found an ivory case, in my nets, a day or so after the storm, and the Drowned were after it. I sold it as salvage. Probably shouldn't have sold it...but it was trouble. Had a map in it. On land."

He rolled his eyes...Maranda had seen for herself how miserably sick travelling on land made Dorian, who could stand all day in a boat on rough seas, but couldn't travel in a wagon for an hour without wanting to lose his lunch. Small wonder he'd rather get rid of it...a map on land was worth nothing when there was fishing to be done.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: Ack! I am sorry.. I thought I had replied to this already. :(

IC:

"A map? In an ivory case? And you fished it out of the lake? Why would someone put a land map in such an expensive case and take it out on the Mer de la Lune? Doesn't make much sense. I'd think they'd want water maps on a ship but if undead came after it, best you got rid of it," she agreed completely.

"I'd never have guessed you'd be afraid of anythin', Dorian. Ya always seem so fearless. Even when we went ta see the Merfolk, it seemed so.. natural ta you. Course, the magic rings that breath under water help I s'pose," she scooted next to him and kissed his cheek.

"Makes sense though.. being afraid of storms after what happened to ya. Most folks'd be fearful of water.. any water, not just storms. Yer quite a man, Dorian Drake. I'm sure your pa was very proud of you."
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I think it sunk with a ship," Dorian said. "The Drowned were after it, it was a nuisance." The Drowned might scare other fishermen, but Dorian viewed them as dangerous annoyance. He took the kiss with a smile. At the time he'd tried to sell the stupid map, and had the grand offer of a single circlet once. He'd nearly burnt the map and sold the case alone, to prove a point to the idiot who had so insulted him. In the end he'd sold it to some woman who was also, frankly, trouble, but it had gone away and that was what counted.

He shrugged, a bit embarassed at being made much of. Nate Drake had raised him to be a simple fisherman, a career that suited Dorian well. He was strong, but not very clever; he had a good heart, and good looks besides. He wasn't suited to being a dashing hero, to save the world from anything, but he was settled into being a good husband and provider for his wife. "I could hold my breath a long time...once." he said. In seal form, he could. As a man, he was subject to some limitations, though he still had the webbed toes....not as useful as flippers, but good enough. "And my living is on the water. I can't hide from that."

OOC: I don't really worry unless a week or so goes by. I've been waiting since March for a post for a PC of mine in another game....and other players there get daily posts.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: LOL had I not wondered why I hadn't seen a reply from you today, it might have been a week. When I hadn't noticed a post from you.. I checked the thread to see if I missed your reply and saw I hadn't posted. :roll:

IC:

"Well, I think ya do very well in the water and out o' the water but some would say my thoughts are colored in yer favor," she giggled and set her bowl down. Outside, the last rays of the sun had sunk below the horizon though the sky was still a light blue on the horizon while the purple inky depths crept across the sky.

"Storm's still a good ways off and it's gettin' dark out. Let's go swimmin'?" she pled, eyes full of hope and smiles.

"You've not continued my lessons since we were back home in the creek. Was a warm day and the cool water'd feel nice before bed. Don't have to go out very far," she said and sat waiting for Dorian's okay to go play in the water.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian nodded. "I'll check the water first, see if the storm's making the currents stronger," he said. And take along his knife, for the storms often stirred those pestiferous things up. "But you'll not be swimming so soon after eating. Your belly will cramp up." He grinned. "I know a grand way we could pass the time, though....."

And kissed her, gently, then with more insistance.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Meeting his gentle but demanding kisses with a soft purr, she slipped her arms around his neck gently. His touch made her giddy and his soft kisses always lit a fire within her.

"Can't have stomach cramps," she giggled, breaking the kiss for a mment. "And I'd like ta explore more of this passin' the time," she grinned and nibbled on his lip playfully.

"Ya have such good ideas," she added softly before renewing the kiss with her own insistence, her hands traveling softly over the hard muscles of his shoulders and back.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian drew her into his arms, kissing his wife, tracing the line of her jaw and the hollow of her neck with his lips, and letting his hands roam gently over the soft silk of her skin. He inhaled the sweet fragrance of her hair, bright as sunshine, and gazed into the firelit depths of her eyes. What a fine way to pass the time, seeing how to send her into a rapture of pleasure, and knowing the bliss of loving her.

The feel of her hands on his back, encouraging him, possessing him. It was wonderful to be in her arms, to be drawn into the passion of lovers with a woman who was the other half of his soul.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Enveloped in the strong arms of the man who could set her heart to fluttering with just a look, she moaned softly at the attentions of his lips on her skin, helping him make quick work of her clothing. The same hands that put food on their table and protected her from harm, now sent ripples of pleasure through her, making her breath come in short gasps as she surrendered to the passions her husband stirred in her.

Dorian set something free in her, something she couldn't put a name on, but it was blissfully wonderful and she gave herself to it readily, a smile on her lips and dancing in her eyes as she gazed up into the depths of his soul reflected in his beautiful blue eyes.

"I love you Dorian," she whispered throatily as she lifted her lips to his and offered a fiery kiss that did not attempt to mask her feelings or her need for him.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Water Archive”