Lost in the Grass Lands (Gate Thread ~ Citizen)

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Lugh

Lost in the Grass Lands (Gate Thread ~ Citizen)

Post by Lugh »

As you wade through the tall grass, you find yourself wishing for a few extra inches of height, as even the tallest of bipeds can barely see over the dense stalks.

Trudging along, you can just barely make out a cluster of low hills and the distinctive silhouette of centaur archers monitoring the plains for any signs of intrusion into the broad grasslands that cover the eastern corner of Pan's Isle.

As you approach, one of the Centaurs seperates from the others and comes racing in your direction. You can see the fabled longbows of the others come out, arrows appear from quivers and are noched while the lone greeter slows to a halt some 20 or so paces away from you. In a voice you know will haunt your dreams for nights to come he demands, "Aaye! Ya naa lle? Mankoi lle irma?"
Last edited by Lugh on Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacklline Rockel

Post by Jacklline Rockel »

“Vedui' I am Jacklline Rockel, I wish to become a scout.” Jackline faces the Centaur bravely, hoping that they will be willing to teach her, “I come many markers to become a scout on the fabled Isle of Pan.” She looks the Centaur into the eyes unflinchingly.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

"A scout you say?" He repeats the words in Elvish to her. "And what makens you believe you can handle such a task?"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Jacklline Rockel

Jackline hesitates, then speaking elvish she replies.

“Because that is what I understand and know, my father was a scout, till he was killed, and my mother was a simple solider till she became a follower of Pan, and left with my father to find something.”

She stops talking for a second to think. Deciding to lie about her parents’ real mission till she knew someone she could trust.

“But they never told me what they were looking for.”

She looks straight into the Centaurs eyes as she says the lie, hoping that he would not see through it of at least not question her about it.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Centaurs, especially those in charge of picking scouts, have an uncanny ability to see through lies. Giving the woman before him a scrutinizing stare he stood up straight and proud, his full berth an impressive sight to see for any biped. "Are you sure that is your whole story? Just that your parents were scouts?" He made an obvious error by calling her mother a scout, and hoped to see if mayhaps it was that which she lied about. "And if your father scouted her on the Isle then we should have record of his name, what was it again?"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Jacklline Rockel

Jacklline begins to grin realising that the Centaur thought she was lying about her mother being a retired common soldier before she died. She knew this from what her father had taught her about Centaurs.

“My father was Yareek Rockel, my mother Captain Rochella Jacklli before she married my father. It’s most of the story, the rest are minor details.” She grins knowing that there was a chance the Centaur recognized her father’s name and knew why he had left.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Yes, I am aware of the names you have stated. Their departure from the unit was unfortunate, and quite unexpected. We do not appreciate such sudden goings from any, I don't suppose you can ellaborate on their reasons for leaving? The stories are hazy and mixed, I'm sure you understand."
Jacklline Rockel

“I wish I could, but when I was young, trouble arose in a village because I mentioned, carelessly, what my parents were searching for. Since then I have told no one.” She maintains eye contact with the Centaur, lying about this subject was impossible for her.

She still remembered the bulling and laughter behind her back, when she had inadvertently said what her parents were looking for. Most people believe the treasure of great price was a myth, but her parents had heard from a reliable source that it was more then just a myth. Also from the same source they heard that it would cost the finder much, but in gold or silver but a different sort of price, a price that was lost, yet found. Jacklline knew the stories, but it had been her parents mission, not hers, lest not yet.

“Maybe someday I will be free to tell someone, but not yet. I am not shore myself if what they were seeking is real.” She shakes her head sadly. Someday, but today is not that day.” Emotions flicker across her face, mainly sadness and a feeling of loss. She still missed her parents, even if they had argued with her about her wish to come back here and follow in her fathers footsteps and become a scout the last time she had seen them alive.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"So you want to join the scouts because your parents did... Well, that's not reason enough, have you any skills to speak of? Can you shoot a bow or anything?" He asked doubtfully, figuring she hadn't any idea how to do any of those things. The Rockel's had left a poor set of footsteps for their daughter to follow and he assumed she would be just like they had been in the end when what they searched for consumed their every moment, climaxing in their departure from the unit. Or, atleast the scout's believed that to be the end of it, to them nothing but the protection of Pan's Isle mattered.
Jacklline Rockel

“I have some skills, my mother taught me to heal with herbs and Alchemy, and my father the basic use of short swords. To survive, I also learnt to track and trap animals, to hide in the forest, to move with out sound and to survive in the forest. Also for some reason some times I can sense the emotions of animals around me, partially when there is danger near by.” She continues eye contact with the centaur, her neck beginning to be painful from having to look up to keep eye contact.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Hmm." He looked at her and then relaxed a bit which gave Jacklline the oppertunity to rest her neck a bit. "All well and good, but no bow skills to speak of?"
Jacklline Rockel

Seeing the Centaur relax she allows her eyes to drop and stretches her neck to remove the kinks that had gotten into it. “Ya, I was given my equipment from an old scout, that I had been caring for. I’ve not had much opportunity to learn. I do know how to care for the equipment but that’s all. Have very little idea how to use a fair bit of it.” She glances around looking at the others and listening to rustles in the grass as she says this.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I do not know if you are yet ready to join the scouts. You are still quite young and your skills not honed." Drawing out his spear he brought his mighty body into an attack stance and beckoned her to do the same.

"Shall we see what your parents took the time to teach you while they were on their extraordinary voyage?" He asked, his voice almost mocking her.
Jacklline Rockel

She smiled at his challenge, though she was worried too. The Centaur was much stronger then her. Droping her pack of her soulders and removeing her cape she draws her Long sword from its sheft on her waist. Holding it in both hands she moves lightly to the balls of her feet, ready do dance in and out, as she had been taught by her parents.

Running over her parents’ advice to fighting others in her head, she remembers the chat her mother had with her once.

<i> "Child if you ever get into a fight or challenged, and are out skilled, fight dirty if you can see no other way." She also remembered a bit of advice from her father, "If fighting someone with a staff or a weapon like it. Remember to block with both weapons and move quickly, don't stand in the one spot." </i>

Spinning her swords, stretching, she then moves into the basic guard. Watching the Centaur she readies her self to move away from his attack, and to somehow get around behind him.
Last edited by Jacklline Rockel on Thu May 22, 2003 12:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Feigning left and striking right the Centaur caught the girl somewhat off guard, but did not injure her, rather only proving he could have hurt her if he wanted. Retracting his move he did a quick side step and thrust forward. As he did his own moves he was larger than Jacklline, and if she was quick it would be easier to get around him then a foe of equal size as she.
Jacklline Rockel

Then she sees the Centaur's attack and attempts to block it. The Centour gets through and taps her left shoulder hard. Enough to hart but not harm her. She relises in the back of her mind he could of done much more damage then that.

So droping to her right she rolls and kicks up the dust around her. Then she attemps to dart around the centour and slachs at this legs with the flat of her sword. And then dances lightly away watching to see what he would do next.

OOC: Now I got something i'm 1/2 happy with :p sorry bout the origanial 1 sentence :p
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Much better.

IC:
Her tuck and roll was not an expected move. The centaur watched as she slipped past his defences and his spear arked only a finger's width above her head as he felt the slap on his flank from the broadside of her sword. A whistle cut through the air from the speed at which his weapon travelled. He knew she couldn't have done any serious damage with the move, but it would have been a good injury in a true battle. A sharp smile crossed his face.

"Good..." Bounding upwards he jumped over to Jack, a trail of dust in his wake as he skidded to a stop, his spear swooshing and landing at her neck, where he left it in an obvious display of power. "Don't leave yourself exposed." He straightened up, back into a defensive position and awaited her next move. The dust settled around them. His coppery fur shone brightly as the sun gleaned across it. His skin was a similar color.
Jacklline Rockel

OO: Sorry I not posted yet, had been stressing bout assignments that had to be done before exams.

She grinned back, "Beginners mistake, I believe." She chuckles softly, as she thinks of what she might try next, or at least try and set up. She admires the centaur’s muscles, and wonders if she could somehow get onto his back.

Bringing her sword up and watches him, then she faints to the left and the jumping into the air with a very lose summersault to his right. She attempts to strike his upper arm very hard with the flat of her sword.

As she lands she darts close to his side and attempts volt onto his back, and grabs his waist to hang on.

OOC: let me know if this is overkill.
Last edited by Jacklline Rockel on Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: ACK!! So sorry for the extremely late reply. Somehow your post got lost in the shuffle. A million apologies!

IC:

The attack with her sword was dead on perfect. The wide side of her blade smacked against his forarm as he twisted his spear. However the attempted assualt to get onto his back was not as efficient. As she somersaulted through the air the centaur figured out what she was planning on doing. Turning his body more quickly then Jack expected suddenly she was in his arms rather than upon his back. With stealthful movements he had both of her arms locked behind her back and he pinned down both her feet with each front hoof. There she was, completely pinned and hopelessly helpless. Looking down at her he smiled with an air of superiority. A deep breath before he spoke. "Nicely done, but don't attempt to execute such a daring move without being positive that your opponent will be unable to stop it. Otherwise you end up stuck." Letting her go he stepped back. "I do not know if you are completely ready to join the scouts. I want you to go and learn more and then return here." The centaur dusted himself off and looked at Jacklline seeing if she would have anything to say.
Jacklline Rockel

OOC: First of all, sorry that I have not been able to post up untill now. School hols have started, so I am kinda free for a couple of weeks. OOOHHH a spelling checker.... whats the link to it? ;)

IC: Slightly surprised when the centaur caught her, she looks, slightly dazed, into his eyes. Then she notices the muscles on his chest as he lets her go. She silently picks up her weapons and sheaves them. "Sir, I understand what you mean by not completely ready. But you can defiantly cont on me returning to join sometime in the future." She looks into his eyes as she delivers the last sentence, making a silent promise to return. "Since I need more to learn more before I join, were would you suggest I go?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Welcome back. After you say your goodbyes to the Centaur you may go open a new thread either in Pan's Touch Inn (assuming you go there looking for someone) or start a travel thread to get to the city. Either way I await the thread. You can label the new thread whatever you want, just make sure to put your character name in parenthesis at the end. :wink:

IC:

"You may want to find a mentor who can teach you to fight. Perhaps you can find such a person in the city. I'm sorry I know little of the persons who live there." He stretched and continued to dust himself off a bit. "But I wish you good luck. Pan's Blessing upon you and I hope to see you in the near future."

Return to “Aveas Archive”