The Happenstance Bazaar

Moderator: Mods

spoonie

Post by spoonie »

The merchant wasn’t blind, he could see Thyrennan’s desperation. Rubbing his chin thoughtfully, the round man looked down upon the child-sized customer, it was obvious he was considering one of the many offers. Adding a sliver or two of apple wouldn’t hurt his business, but the extra loaf of bread would. It was the deal with less hassles, but the vendor couldn’t help but wonder what sort of trade Thyrennan was running, how could this Halfling possibly attract customers?

“What is it you do, Thyrennan?” Squinting down at the boy, trying to get a better idea of what sort of person he might be, the merchant didn’t seem convinced that the child would attract more business, but it wasn’t as if he was disinterested either.

The older man would make no decision before he knew what Thyrennan did for a living, he knew better than to make hasty choices. For the sake of ease, the merchant wanted to take the lance in exchange for the bread and an apple slice, but there was also greed tugging at him, if he could double his sales with the help of the Halfling...

Post by Guest »

“I am a psychic, sir.” His soft, tenor voice answered the round merchant gravely and seriously. His deep brown eyes unblinking and stared right through the man’s gaze. “I read the future and fortunes of my customer.”

That strange power hadn’t resurfaced since his days back at Brie, but Thyrennan believed pessimistically that one-day it would re-emerge again to ruin his life like it did when he was in Brie. Though for him, it was more of a curse than as a gift, the young Halfling ironically considered it as a means of financial support, although the ability had never helped nor emerged again.

“I was an acolyte from the Monastery of the One God back in Brie,” He continued seriously. It was partially true, he did came from the Monastery, in fact, he grew up there and he could have been an acolyte.

Except they banished me away, he thought bitterly. And then I denied my faith.

“I bring word of hope, of what is to pass, the tidings of God and sometimes even the gentle promptings of…” He showed an honest and sincere face yet his deep brown eyes gazed intently at the man, gently urging him to the concept of what the skill can do to his trade, trying to let the human decide of the implications or complications about such notion. Although, Thyren wasn’t entirely sure if customers would flocking around him and any foggiest idea on how attract buyers, he hoped that between the two of them, they can come up with the idea how to deal with it.

…Traders.” His voice dropped ever so silently. “In such hard times, a simple glimmer of hope is what we really need.” And then he remained quiet; unblinkingly allowed the man to his own ruminations of what he had said.
Aurelia Tiramanus

Post by Aurelia Tiramanus »

Aurelia looked at the Franz's, how could she have forgotten to introduce herself?
After taking another sip of tea, she set it down and stood up.
"I am Aurelia Tiramanus, Hailing from places afar."
She thought to herself, Pan's kind aren't quite beloved in these lands, at least, I don't think.
The Taur'Quessir stood looking at the two men in front of her.
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

Already frowning before Thyrennan had a chance to explain what it was he did as a psychic, the fat merchant made up his mind. Such an abnormal gift was just as likely to scare away the customers as it was to draw them it. He wouldn’t take that chance.

While he listened to the Halfling, the vendor began to wrap a loaf of bread up with two apple slices, he would take the lance and be rid of Thyrennan, it would be for the best. He would have the coin and could carry on with his own business. The man couldn’t deny that hope was needed, but in such hard times, people would spook much more easily as well. The portly man wanted security, not the uncertainty that would come with a psychic.

“I hate to turn you away, young man, but I cannot count on others being as understanding of your profession as I am. Take the bread and the apple, and be careful not to eat too much at once, in exchange for your lance.” Shifting his eyes over the crowd quickly before leaning down with the packaged food in his hands, the older man kept a tight grip as he offered it to Thyrennan, extending his other hand palm-side up to take the coin. In a hushed voice, the round man added, “I am friends with the proprietor of that shop.” He nodded his head in the direction of a bright blue tent. “You might find a business partner there. Fat Franz is his name, tell him Jules sent you.”
[hr][/hr]

“Aurelia? A very pretty name.” The younger man spoke softly, flashing a smile full of white teeth. Pulling out the chair from the desk, Franz offered it to the young Taur’Quessir, replacing the cushion that had been placed under Aurelia’s head earlier. It was a comfortable chair, the best seat within the tent. “Places afar? Which places?”

Fat Franz smiled and took one of the chairs from the table, seating himself in order to enjoy the conversation off his feet. Both men seemed to be very interested in what Aurelia had to tell them, neither ever traveled much outside the trade routes, and even then it was not often. Curiously, the large merchant tilted his head to inspect the young woman. A Taur’Quessir, most likely from the Seven Isles. “How is it that you came to Roque D’Ancourt, my dear?”

Post by Guest »

Oh, Thyren sighed with deep regret, he shouldn’t have told the old merchant about his eerie power. A look of utter disappointment came down upon him, crashing him and he so wanted to flee and hide away from the man’s frowned look. The gaze was unbearable, almost chocking him as the humiliation burned inside him like raw hot fire incinerating him to nothingness.

Damnation! He groaned, I’m so ashamed of myself! For more than a flicker, his deep brown eyes flashed with pain and he quickly averted them away. Eyes downcast in defeat, the young Halfling gave the old human his lance coin, murmured his gratitude, took his food and absently chucked it deep inside his backpack.

It’s my fault. I’m a freak. He shouldn’t be apologizing. It’s properly right for him to cast me away. I’m no good, how can I ever help him when I can’t even help myself? I shouldn’t have made that deal with him. I should have just paid for the bread. I’m stupid! So stupid and a freak! How I despise you god! No! There’s no god. I’m alone. We are all alone. There’s nobody here to help me. Only I can help me.

Still nodding his head down, Thyren turned. He figured the man wouldn’t want anything to do with him and replying would be an insult to him. It was all very dreadful and he murmured his thanks again, almost absentmindedly as he slowly moved towards the sea of crowd congesting the market street.

Thyren wasn’t sure what to do now, maybe the old merchant was right. People might not understand him, his imperfections and weird skill. Maybe I should just hide into the wilderness and become a hermit, and although the notion was very attractive, the last parting words of the old merchant echoed inside his mind. It’s worth a shot, he hoped pessimistically.

He diverted his course and after a few burns of wriggling and squeezing between the hundred pillars of moving legs, the young Halfling found himself hesitantly before the blue tent, slowly parted the entrance flap and peered inside.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

Inside the tent there were all sorts of pretty dishes and eating wares. Two narrow tables were set out with various eating sets laid upon them please the eye. To the rear of the tend was a small desk, on it there was a quill, ink, and a single stack of parchment, looking rather ruffled from recent abuse. Other than the desk, the entire place was spotless, making it obvious that someone either took pride in their work, or had a cleaning obsession. There was a small slit in the canvas wall at the back of the merchant tent, leading to private section. Yet it was three figures that demanded Thyrennan’s attention.

Two were standing, a Taur’Quessir female and a young human man, and the third had seated himself in a chair. Upon hearing the Halfling’s entrance, the man stood with grace that was surprising for someone of his weight, and he floated in Thyrennan’s direction between the tables. “Welcome, Welcome. Please forgive the mess, we had a little mishaps. I am Franz, how may I be of service to you?”

The plump man extend his hand toward the child-sized customer, his lips lifting into a friendly smile. How odd that a young boy comes to shop here... Regardless of the age, Franz was would always present him in a warm and professional manner.

Post by Guest »

Here was a seeming small boy, yet his face was etched with deep sorrow and grave seriousness, his deep brown misty soulful eyes appeared to be far away that gleamed of honest uncertainty. His wavy mass of ruffled brown hair was cut short just above his shoulder and he was neatly garbed in a manner of peasantry, carrying a small stick with a small bundle on its end and a bulging leather backpack behind him.

The spotlessness and orderliness inside the blue tent gravely reminded Thyrennan of the Monastery back at Brie. And for a bit of a flicker, a pang of homesickness overwhelmed him that he quickly buried it deep inside him, forgetting and denying of its existence. What would he give to live back at Brie? Like a pair of lovers for Thyren, he gazed at the two standing duo, a frown of regret on his eyes, like a boy gazing from outside the window, never will be a part of the scene. What would he pay to stay beside Chleo, basking on her warm smile and gentle touch?

If only I didn’t have this curse.

The young Halfling was jolted out of his reverie when he found himself before a plump human man, welcoming him in a friendly manner. Hesitantly, Thyren stepped back, met the human’s stare with an apprehensive look, afraid of what the man thought of him. He flickered his gaze back at the pair and ever so timidly he offered his hand, watching his own hairy bared feet shuffling.

“Good day, sir,” His voice was soft, matured for his age and very polite, timbering between a baritone and a tenor although there was a hint of hesitation on it. “Goodman Jules sent me here to look for Master Franz…” He omitted the label of plumpness the old merchant told him. “I am named Thyrennan from Brie.” He continued, anxious why he was here and unsure of what to do.
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

The large man seemed paused in time for several flickers after Thyrennan introduced himself. Staring down at the Halfling, the merchant was quiet, that smile of warmth still upon his lips. This was no child that stood before him, no matter how short the little guy was. A Halfling! Snapping his fingers, the man released the boy’s hand, and stood up straight. “Aha!”

“And what has Goodman Jules sent me this time?” Chuckling, Fat Franz looked down upon the little man, curious of his purpose. Then the man broke into outright laughter, looking over his shoulder at his son. “Did you hear him call me Master? You never do that...” The younger Franz smiled softly and nodded, he was used to such behaviour from his father, and by the nonchalant expression he wore, the youth had long since learned to ignore it. Being overlooked didn’t seem to phase the portly merchant, he smiled even wider as he looked down upon Thyrennan. “What is it you seek from me, Thyrennan from Brie?”

Loosely swishing his hand behind him to indicate the other two without even paying them so much as the glance, the man added, “That is Franz, my son, and Aurelia, our guest.”
Aurelia Tiramanus

Aurelia glided her hands through her hair, then put them to rest on her lap as she took a seat.
Quietly she told her story:
"As I just said, I am Aurelia Tiramanus, Taur'Quessir, from Pan's Isle. In my village, there was a rather large influx of merchants, and that is when I started getting my first glimpses of the outside world. And day after day I heard their stories, saw their goods..." Aurelia took a sip of the tea.
Continuing, "About two years passed and eventually I had made goals to leave Pan's Isle, and come and learn the arts of the world and the sort, and a caravan came, that would pass right in front of this city, and so it is where I am now..."
She trailed off and finished her tea in one last sip.

Post by Guest »

A tiny sincere smile crept up his lips yet there still lingered a hint of sadness in his eyes, and although he was of a small stature, the plump human could detect the way the small Halfling carried himself, all mature and grave.

It was bit surprising how the older man carried himself with eager merriment, despite the quandary that the hole city was apparently carrying, Fat Franz still showed an enthusiasm which is a sensation that was rare from where Thyren came. And the young Hafling couldn’t help himself warming to the chubby human as he laughed although it was strain, the best he could do on that anxious event.

Yes, he was beginning to like the ambience of the tent. The cleanliness of the place proved that the father and son was both meticulous and virtuous of their trade, that they have moral characters with how easily they talked to each other, as more friends than a son to his sire. Yet that was the problem. Thyren knew that with his past, they wouldn’t want anything to do with him. Knowing that they would see right through his imperfections and how unworthy he is to be here right now. His insecurities gnawed at him and it showed on his brown eyes; the conflicting emotion that he would have liked to stay yet was afraid to be turned away.

Politely, he nodded to the direction of the young Franz and the Elven woman named Aurelia and returned his gaze to the older Franz. “I…” He trailed off, unsure of what to say. “I think this was a mistake, sir.” He closed his eyes and buried the deep hurt he was feeling right then. “Sir Goodman Jules must have been mistaken about me. I’m sorry to bother you, Master Franz.” He bowed his head once and directed his gaze at the pair, “Mistress Aurelia… Young master Franz…” He paused, “It was nice meeting you.”

Gently he turned, sighing ever so deeply, his shoulders seemed to be heavy with burden that was his alone, he shuffled his way to the same way he came and took a last look back at the three tall figures and how it would be nice to know more about them.
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

While the younger Franz was interested in Aurelia’s story, he also spared some of his attention for the Halfling. There was something odd about the way Thyrennan carried himself, too serious, and seemingly full of doubt. Nodding politely to the Taur’Quessir and giving the young woman a soft smile, the son stepped up to his father’s side. Chuckling, the boy stuck an elbow it the large man’s side. “Old Franz here and Jules don’t ever make mistakes, if you ask them, though...” Lowering his voice to a mock whisper, Franz junior looking painfully stern. “But it has been known to happen.”

Winking, the young man hurriedly continued, hoping to not lose Thyrennan’s attention. “It may or may not be the case here, but we were just about to have some more tea, why don’t you join us? We can discuss business in comfort.”

Fat Franz pulled out another chair from the table, closer to the one he’d chosen for himself, and gestured to it invitingly for the Halfling boy. “He has a point.” Turning slightly to the young elven woman, the portly merchant smiled. “Would you like another cup?”

Young Franz was moving again, taking Aurelia’s cup from her gently and heading toward the back section of the tent. He was playing the role of server now, a smile stretching his lips from ear to ear. Fat Franz, on the other hand, took his seat again with a light sigh, ready to relax again, and hopefully with the addition of friendly conversation.

La rou de Franz!

Post by Guest »

Thyrennan’s brown eyes lit up momentarily of hope when he heard young Franz replied and he felt a surge of warm friendliness towards the family. Invidiously, his scrutinized the two Franzs, feeling the affection between them, the easy relationship of a father to his son and vice versa.

How would I like to have that! He thought regretfully, remembering the indifferent attention his father gave him.

Bashfully, Thyren paused, seemingly aware of his rugged peasant look and he adjusted his garb out of politeness for the older Franz who seemed meticulous for cleanliness. A small polite smile tugged his lips; the likelihood of the two liking him was slim yet he hoped that there was a chance that somehow he would be accepted.

Slowly, he consented to the invitation and clambered up the chair that old Franz pulled out. He leaned his miniature quarterstaff beside his chair, shifted his backpack, pulled out the bundle of food he bought from Jules (containing a measly small bread and two slices of dried apple) and offered them politely to Fat Franz and the Elven woman named Aurelia, dangling his legs which didn’t reached the floor.

Curiously, the young Halfling eyed the Elven woman, courteously nodded at her and remained silent and waited for them to start the conversation, too polite to interfere in what they were discussing a while ago.

ooc: Please deduct the 1 lance from my character sheet as payment for the bread and slices of apple.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurelia Tiramanus

Aurelia, astonded by the person she saw, immediately moved to introduce herself, "Well, Mr. Halfling, if that is what you are, I am Aurelia Tiramanus of Pan's Isle, sorry if I've mistaken you for a half-life if your not, I have never seen one of your kind before."
Completely ignoring fat Franz's question, the curious Taur'Quessir continued, "Do tell me a bit about yourself, good sir," a stroke of intrigue and youth returned to her eyes.
Last edited by Aurelia Tiramanus on Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

“Don’t be shy.” The round man chuckled and then turned, almost on instinct, to take a cup of tea from the little tray that his son reappeared with. The younger Franz made his way to Thyrennan and then to Aurelia, offering the beverages to them. His eyes twinkled and his lips curved into a soft, warm smile.

Taking a mug for himself, the young man placed the tray on the desk and leaned his hip against the sturdy workstation, crossing a single arm across his chest. The boy would be quiet while his father spoke business, such was the routine, taking a slow sip from the cup, but not before blowing on it, he watched the two guests with interest.

“So, Thyrennan, you’ve been sent here by Jules. You’re not a hopeful errand boy, are you?” Furrowing his brow, Fat Franz thought about what he just said, and then shook his head. “Forgive me if you are, but I just cannot hire one at this time.”

Cringing for a flicker, the large man thought that he might just be sticking his foot into his mouth, but then he laughed again and again wore a smile. Franz senior took a quick sip from of the tea and then added, “Perhaps we could find something else for you?”

OoC: I'll see what I can do. :)

Reading the tea like a shield

Post by Guest »

The little man took the offered mug with both hands and politely murmured his appreciation to the young Franz. He nervously eyed his cup; dangling his legs that didn’t reached the floor and started blowing the hotness from the mug before slowly sipping it. He nodded once and bashfully smiled at the Elven woman and timidly introduced himself. Strangely, he seemed to be using the mug as a shield from the three individuals.

“I am Thyrennan, Mistress Aurelia.” His voice was a soft, bordering between a high baritone and a tenor. “I came from Brie, a few markers east of King’s Court. It’s a Halfling village.” His deep grave brown eyes sombered at the mention of the place and he hid his face as he sipped his tea again and slowly reached for the slice of apple and took a small bite from it. “Would you like some, Mistress?” He courteously offered them his small rations.

Thyren turned his attention back to the old Franz when he resumed his talking and the young Halfling almost paled before him, apprehensive if he should tell the large man why he had sought his presence. He silently mulled for a few flickers, his eyes furrowed as he gaze at the cup.

He was of two minds whether he should tell old Franz the truth about himself, the notion too risky judging by the way things are going on at the town. But then, the two Franz’s had been so hospitable and kind and lying to them didn’t seem the right thing to do. He closed his eyes momentarily, undecided of what to do.

“No, sir.” Thyren said after some time, looking straight at the large man. “Goodman Jules didn’t send me here as an errand boy. I…” He trailed off. “I’m a fortune reader, sir and Sir Jules told me that you might be interested on my line of work, sir.” He cringed as well, expecting the scream of hateful invectives directed at him. The word Psychic was never mentioned but the young Halfling knew that it must be churning at the back of their mind and he raised his mug between them like a shield.
Aurelia Tiramanus

Aurelia was even more shocked, "A fortune teller! And a halfling?!"
After that short outburst, she quickly realized what a fool she made of herself. Blushing, the young Taur'Quessir looked down and took a sip from her cup of tea.
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

Both the merchant and his son were quiet for about a flicker, the father’s face was blank while the young man was grinning at Aurelia’s outburst. Finally Fat Franz dropped a heavy hand onto his knee, took a careful sip of the tea, and then smiled at the Halfling. “A fortune reader. Quite interesting. And Jules thought that I would be interested. Of course, he was right.”

Each Franz wore a frown on their face, looking at Thyrennan, it was obvious that they wanted to be able to do something for the young Halfling. However, with a sigh, the older man shook his head. “As intrigued as I may be, young man, I don’t believe I can help you. It is not a good time for anyone, especially the commoners. The people do not want to spend their money on fortune readings.”

Placing his cup down onto the table, the round man turned himself so that he was directly facing the much smaller individual. Giving Thyrennan a half-smile, Franz senior considered what advice or options he could offer the boy. There was little to pick through, unfortunately, and after a few flickers, the old man gave up with a sigh.

“You could always try winning an audience with some of the wealthier folk, their struggle to feed themselves is not so great.” The handsome Franz suggestion, his mouth forming a reassuring smile for the Halfling’s benefit.

Definitely a mistake!

Post by Guest »

Not interested enough apparently, Thyrennan thought dejectedly, his whole world crumbling before him. He was looking at his empty mug, hiding his hurtful disappointment of being rejected again. The Halfling should have been used to the feeling but it always cuts deep whenever it happened.

It must have been more than a burn of the small Halfing being silent, miserably although hiding it as quietly as he can by staring at his empty mug. He wasn’t thinking of anything, just letting the humiliation and disgrace wash over him. Of course it was not their fault, it wasn’t even their problem at the first place and why should they care. But he had hoped, oh how he had hoped so hard to no avail.

Ever so slowly, feeling that if he moved suddenly he would shatter to a dozen pieces, Thyren placed the empty mug at the table and gently grabbed his small rations thinking that the food would have to be eaten sparsely.

“Thank you sirs, both of you for the hospitality. You were both very kind and I’m very sorry for troubling you.” Politely he bowed to the two Franzs and gave a farewell nod to Aurelia. “It was nice meeting you, Mistress Aurelia.” There was a deep pain on his eyes.

He gathered his pack and small quarterstaff, undecided of what to do. “The tea was delicious, sirs. Thank you.” He bowed again before them and slowly took of towards the exit.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurelia Tiramanus

The Taur'Quessir sighed, "Come now, Mr. Thyrennan, I too am an entertainer of the people, we could work together, or do something of that fashion."
Aurelia stood up, looking at the halfling, "So turn around and let us chat some more."
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

Sighing quietly the younger Franz watched as the Halfling turned to go, wondering what in Tazlure had caused Thyrennan to give up so easily. It was true, not all could keep a face of optimism when things were looking down, but most people might actually put up a fight. The short man, instead, just resigned himself to failure. The sight caused a knot in the pit of his stomach, the merchant’s son did not blame this other boy, but he did pity him.

Franz senior was actually prepared to voice his discomfort, unlike the boy, standing he walked over to the entrance of the tent with the Halfling. Quiet for a bare flicker, the man suddenly gave a great chuckle and then patted Thyrennan on the shoulder. “Don’t look so frightfully sad, child. Just because we cannot help you, doesn’t mean there isn’t help to be found. The tide is still early enough that you might find it this very day, too. Might not. But you can always try again of the next day, and on the day after that, if need be.”

Reaching over the much shorter individual, the portly merchant took hold of the exit’s drawstring, yet he did not pull it back just then. He wasn’t finished talking. “You can’t be discouraged because of a few small bumps, and you must understand that in times like these, you will have bumps.” Smiling down softly at Thyrennan before he continued, Fat Franz’s voice took on a gentle tone. “And you can always come back here and visit, there is always tea ready.”

Determined not to stop the progress of the Halfling, and perhaps to give him some form of comfort, the large man looked back at Aurelia, still smiling. “Perhaps you two could get each other to where ever it is you’re going. I know that you must have been on your way somewhere before the incident, Miss.”

Stepping forward from his silent position, young Franz stood next to the Taur’Quessir briefly. His smile that he gave her was genuine and full of lovely white teeth, and he inclined his head politely to Aurelia. “You can also come visit anytime.”

Fat Franz tugged on the cord and the tent flap opened up for them, outside the market was just as busy as it had ever been. Stepping well off to the side, so that his belly would not obstruct their way as they tried to leave, the older man offered both the Halfling and elf warm smiles. “It was a pleasure to make acquaintances with you both. Good luck on your search.”

OoC: Feel free to chatter away together, I'll keep an eye on your thread and throw in my modly assistance where it is needed. :)
Aurelia Tiramanus

Aurelia stood up and walked out of the tent, again in the bustling busy streets of Roque d'Ancourt. Turning to the halfling she said, "Shall we depart now, good sir, you leader the way, for I have no place to go, seeing the current situation of this place."
The young Taur'Quessir sighed rather heavily then smiled as she awaited the halfling to lead the way.

The Sun Will Come Out Today Not Tomorrow!

Post by Guest »

The young halfling realized that there is still another day to fight and it took a fat human tavern-keeper to show Thyrennan about it. A small shy smile smile crept up his young face and he nodded respectfully one last time at Fat Franz and to his child. His deep brown eyes sparkled confidently for but a few flicker and then was quickly hidden behind a far gazing look, although a hint of hope glimmered behind it.

He stood now smallishly besides Aurelia, and before him was the pillars of shuffling feet like a herd of elephants trampling the streets of the bazaar, a scene frightening to behold.

"You may call me Thyren, Ma'am." he murmured bashfully at the radiant elf and gave a small boyish smile, his cheeks crimsoned at the sight of her.

"I don't know where to go as well, Ma'am. I'm quite new here too." Thyren continued much more murmuredfully, almost like it was never spoken at all.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”